Lower Tiers ORAS NU Viability Rankings

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Drop to A-

The meta has adapted well enough to Steelix that its other sets don't really help to maintain the presence it once had. With the introduction of Specs Mesprit and ever-so-slightly increasing amount of Heat Wave Xatus, Steelix's niche as a Psychic check is weakening, and its matchup against most of the mons it usually checks tends to be one coverage move on the switch away from becoming shaky. While Steelix's resists are undeniably solid, Steelix noticeably suffers from a combination of lopsided bulk, average power, and lack of reliable recovery, so in a good amount of cases, Steelix can end up taking a sizeable amount of damage by the time it 1v1s the mons it checks. Steelix is hardly a troublesome Pokemon to switch into; in fact the bulky set is quite notorious for losing momentum despite the supposed power of its STABs (EQ and Heavy Slam), to the point where people have pondered the use of specially offensive Sheer Force Steelix just to not be walled as easily, at the cost of longevity and some bulk. Bronzor becoming relevant means that Steelix has a contender for a spot in bulkier teams as well.

Rise to A-

Talked about this before already, but Miltank has come a pretty long way. Its pseudo-resistances via its abilities have become really valuable, especially coming from a bulky Pokemon, with reliable recovery at that. It can fend off a good amount of dangerous mons depending on its moveset, and its utility movepool is near unmatched. I haven't really seen much out of Curse Scrappy Miltank these days, but I can't imagine that doing anything to hurt its standing. Also it has access to not one, but two forms of yellow magic in the form of Thunder Wave and Body Slam, which makes it broken

Stay in C+

As nice as this mon is at holepunching, I don't feel it offers enough consistency to rise above the C Ranks. For starters, Chatot is not that fast for something so absurdly frail; missing out on the base 95 Speed tier sucks. It has a hard enough time entering battle, and it has its Stealth Rock weakness to contend with. tmacbalanced, you said something about Chatot 2HKOing the entire tier bar Cradily, but that requires more prediction than Swellow since it has neither Scrappy nor the Speed tier to get away with spamming attacks as often, and the teams that prepare against Swellow are usually well-insured enough against Chatot anyway, usually via the kinds of fast Pokemon that Swellow threatens in the first place; it's a rather similar vein on why something like Zangoose isn't ripping up the tier more than weaker Normal-types in Tauros and Kangaskhan. Setup Chatter Chatot on the other hand suffers from limited coverage, since deviating away from SubNP will reduce its chances of actually setting up.

Rise to C?

It's pretty well established that Machoke is overshadowed by the majority of NU-relevant Fighting-types, but I guess as a standalone Fighting-type it's not that bad, so I'm indifferent on whether it rises to C / C+ or not. Honestly Machoke kind of gives me vibes about Sand (effective in a vacuum, but overshadowed in the big picture), though its niche, aka bulk + guaranteed DynamicPunch, is pretty consistent enough for it to distinguish itself.

C- to C
Not a whole lot has actually changed for Electrode, but I can agree with the the rise to C if only because I figured C- was a tad too low for Electrode in the first place. Soundproof, its sheer Speed, and STAB Volt Switch to slightly make up for its inability to OHKO offensive mons is fairly decent. Also it has Taunt which can help disrupt things like lead Cheops / Mesprit, if not prevent the likes of Lilligant and Mega Audino from doing whatever they want.

Manectric: B- > C
Yeah Ima just echo my thoughts that other have said already about Manectric not having much over Rotom and EVire; it doesn't have the resists to make use of Volt Switch as much as Rotom does, and EVire's access to things like Earthquake for Lanturn + Mortar and even Ice Punch for Sliggoo + Altaria means Manectric doesn't have much of a place in this meta. Missing out on the base 110s is also a huge bummer, unlike Electrode, Raichu (ties at least), and even Zebstrika. Manetric's niche at this point is Switcheroo, as well as having the best overall power-to-speed ratio of its Volt Switch and its Fire coverage, but that just sounds really specific for the meta atm.

Cryogonal: C- > C

With defensive teams on the rise, Cryogonal may just be able to get a better lease in life again, since its teammates are more capable of covering its glaring flaws. Cryo is still one of the more capable Rapid Spinners in the tier due to its longevity and good matchup against most Ghosts. With defensive teams greatly lessening the need for Cryogonal to fend for itself, Cryo is free to run other support moves, such as Knock Off, Haze, and Reflect, to help its team, with Reflect serving the additional purpose of saving Cryo from Pursuit. Cryo can serve as a backup Ice resist as well, fending off Specs Aurorus, Piloswine, and non-physical Grass STAB Abomasnow.

UR to C-
There was little discussion / rebuttal about this last time, though I don't know if it was drowned out by pointless discussion or accusations, so I thought I'd bring it up again. As I've discussed previously, Super Fang is an absolutely beautiful move to screw with pretty much every defensive Freeze-Dry resist in the tier without needing to predict & sacrifice itself, and outside of that, it still has the decently fast Freeze-Dry and Explosion to do some damage. Meanwhile it has other moves such as Taunt, Spikes, and Ice Shard to give it variable utility and not make it a one-trick pony. By no means is it good, but these niches can be C- worthy imo.

B- preliminarily
Considering Quag left and came back on such short notice, I doubt its standing in the meta would be influenced by too much, and this was where Quag was before it rose anyway, so I don't see much harm in giving it this preliminary ranking. Because stall has been thriving since the last time Quag was in NU, you'd think that'd automatically make Quag more viable. However, I'm of the opinion that Gastrodon is simply overshadowing Quagsire a lot right now (though it already was prior), especially since Gastrodon finds its place on teams other than stall, by virtue of its more well-rounded stats and self-sufficiency.

The big reason is that Clear Smog Gastrodon already deals with everything Quagsire does, except Clear Smog also deals with Stored Power users that Quagsire falls flat against, plus Gastrodon has an easier time against SD Zard since its Scald cleanly 2HKOes Zard while Quag's has no chance to: this means Gastrodon can deal with a wider variety of setup sweepers than Quagsire can, despite Quag's ability. The only real relevant mons I can think of that Quag's Unaware is better than Gastrodon's Clear Smog against are Klinklang and SubSD Bouffalant, but Gastrodon eats the former for breakfast anyway, and the latter is easily dealt with via a teammate, particularly Ghosts. Quagsire's only real merit over Gastrodon at this point is having the free moveslot over Gastro's Clear Smog, but it only has a handful of options even remotely worth considering. There's Toxic, but Gastrodon can usually suffice by simply aiming for Scald burns to cripple its switch-ins (especially those immune to Toxic) and having a teammate take over from there, so Toxic seems far more like filler than being a necessity, unless you really hate SubToxic Mantine I guess. So Quagsire's niche, imo, boils down to being able to use Curse while being able to check opposing setup sweepers at the same time (although WispZard can still give Curse Quag trouble, embarrassingly enough), which isn't a bad niche by any means since it can act as a wincon for stall, but for the most part doesn't seem worth trading over the relative consistency of Gastrodon.

Last edited:

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
C- --> C/C+ Agree

I had already heard about its bulk and confusion shenanigans from several PU players and since it's getting more attention lately I decided to give the specially defensive set a go. First of all its far more bulky than i expected, taking special neutral hits well (Magmortars Fire Blast being a 3HKO, Jynx barely 2HKOing it with Psychic as seen in the second replay). It can also function as a status absorber using the ResTalk strategy. What I like the most about Machoke is the fact that it can cause problems for Offense and bulkier builds, either taking hits and retaliating back with Dynamic Punch + confusion or dealing with fatter mons by Knocking of their item, getting Rests off and proceeding to Dynamic Punch them to death. Comparing to Hariyama it doesn't have Thick Fat but being able to recover with Rest gives it much more longevity than Hariyama. Machoke doesn't care about higher ranked mons like Lanturn, Gastro, Steelix, Shiftry, Lilligant, Magmortar, LO Mixed Samurott and Specs Swellow, a.k.a a plethora of mons, as it can potentially 1v1 them with Dynamic Punch (confusion) or Knocking Off their boosting items. Last but not least the confusion hax. Sadly enough the confusion gives you 50% chance of 1v1 for example Kangaskhan, a massive offensive threat. It even has the potential of 1v1 Jynx as Dynamic Punch has a 31.3% chance to OHKO it and both Psychic and Psyshock are 2HKOs.

252 SpA Jynx Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 32 Def Eviolite Machoke: 206-246 (56.5 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Jynx Psychic vs. 252 HP / 220+ SpD Eviolite Machoke: 186-218 (51 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 32 Def Eviolite Machoke: 178-210 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO

Stated all these, I hope valuable, arguments it definitely warrants a rise to atleast C.

Here are some replays showing what it does best:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-451784518

Turn 4-5: Taking the hit and Knocks off Garbs item
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-451785750
Being an annoying presence for my opponent throughout the game

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

C- ---> C / C+

If you guys are going to nom Machoke to C at least consider this going up to since its probably better than the rest of C- x.x. Vigoroth it's just an incredibly stupid sweeper with tons of bulk thanks to Eviolite and Bulk Up. And what I consider the best aspect about it is that it really only needs like two Pokemon to support which would be like a Pursuit trapper and a Fighting resist. It also has such an amazing ability in Vital Spirit which is so anti-meta at the moment with sleep sweepers reigning dominant in today's metagame. Yes it can struggle versus Normal resist but unless they have Roar they ain't winning since they can't break your subs fast enough and you can continue to bulk up.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
UR to C-
There was little discussion / rebuttal about this last time, though I don't know if it was drowned out by pointless discussion or accusations, so I thought I'd bring it up again. As I've discussed previously, Super Fang is an absolutely beautiful move to screw with pretty much every defensive Freeze-Dry resist in the tier without needing to predict & sacrifice itself, and outside of that, it still has the decently fast Freeze-Dry and Explosion to do some damage. Meanwhile it has other moves such as Taunt, Spikes, and Ice Shard to give it variable utility and not make it a one-trick pony. By no means is it good, but these niches can be C- worthy imo.
I'd like to see more discussion on Glalie tbh. The replays posted earlier showed it doing decently and Spikes / Super Fang do seem like good niches for an Ice type. Ice-types force tons of switches in NU and Freeze Dry threatens many Defog users such as Mantine, Pelipper, and even Shiftry (it can't OHKO you and you OHKO it with LO Freeze Dry), which is a great attribute for a Spiker. Hitmonchan is annoying but you can always explode on it if it tries to Rapid Spin (LO Mach Punch doesn't OHKO either). C- rank is crowded AF atm but if some other people could try some builds with this mon it'd be appreciated.

Last edited:
B+ - A-

After laddering with it for a while, I've decided to nom this thing. Might come off as a bit of a controversial nom but there's no harm in doing so. Despite it's frailty, Liepard boasts a decent speed stat as well as the appropriate coverage moves to compliment it. Liepard makes a decent choice band user due to it's ability to spam a STAB Knock-Off which does a lot of damage to other Pokemon who do not resist it, if not, it permanently cripples them for the rest of the game. Liepard also has the ability to pursuit trap and possibly remove things such as Xatu, Jynx, Mesprit, Rotom, Haunter, etc from play which makes it all that more threatening. Against stuff which body it like Steelix, Liepard can easily press U-Turn to switch out and keep momentum. It's able to outspeed a decent chunk of the unboosted meta and is able to put a lot of pressure onto teams. Liepard also has access to coverage moves such as Gunk Shot / Seed Bomb and Play Rough which allows it to hit Mega Audino [2HKO after rocks], Clefairy, Grass Types, Fighting Types [Namely Hitmonchan / Hariyama / Gurdurr] and Rock/Ground types such as Rhydon and Omastar. Band isn't the only set it can run, other sets such as a Whether Setter, Nasty Plot + Copycat and an offensive pivot could be ran too. Liepard also has a great abililty Prankster which is supported by it's solid status moves such as Thunder Wave [Which allows Liepard to slow down faster Pokemon], Encore [Which is able to lock in set up sweepers], Taunt [Which is able to shut down set up sweepers], Rain Dance / Sunny Day [Which allows Liepard to set up priority whether], Copycat [Which gives the Nasty Plot set its "Charm" and is also quite a niche option on band] and even trick [Which allows you to cripple stallier builds] I might have oversold Liepard a little bit here but yes, it does struggle against stuff such as Garbodor, Skuntank, Weezing, Steelix [Though it can cripple all of these], Fighting Types and other things which Liepard doesn't have the appropriate coverage to hit, however, I still feel like Liepard is worthy is of A- Rank.

Last edited:
Ite so I will jump in with a few posts too:

Liepard -> a- : I agree with this nomination, but I would say probably no higher as liepard obviously has its flaws, such as mono dark stab making it hard to bring it in to revenge kill things such as hitmonchan or just lacking the speed it needs to outspeed things like tauros or archeops, however sucker makes up for that. In general it reminded me a lot of sneasel with how it worked, strong banded pursuits making things like xatu and psychics second guess themselves.

Machoke -> C+ / B- : completely agree with this nomination, it's next level bulky + confusion with d-punch allows for so many free turns when playing. It's so underrated right now, it's unreal. I'd like to mention that machoke's niche is its defensive sets with rest-talk are what make it so good, being able to absorb status, pressure things with knock off + confusion and in general be a massive pain in the ass to face.

Steelix -> a- : Disagree with this tbh, after using steelix for the last 300 or so ladder games I've played in this last 2-3 weeks, I used steelix every time and it didn't disappoint with what it did. I can't say it deserves a drop, it's hard to kill and threatening as a defensive wall.

Also genuinely disagree with dropping Vileplume / hariyama, i may have some bias towards this but they are still incredibly effective, as shown with the success I have had with my team.

Clefairy -> B : This pokemon checks nearly every special attacker in the tier whilst giving 0 shits about status and carries a bucket load of utility, this is easily a B pokemon.

If you're going to bring up Liepard's merits, Taunt is definitely not one of them. Like you're basically hindering yourself by using it because you miss out on Prankster Encore, which Liepard is much more effective with that rather than Taunt. Like the thing with Taunt is that it may prevent setup, but it still doesn't stop the opponent from attacking the following turn, while Encore actually gives you a free turn, whether it's a setup move or any move that can be taken advantage of (it can give your teammates themselves free opportunities to setup), and generates momentum with U-turn. Also the most common hazard setters don't care about Liepard regardless, so it's not even useful in that regard either (I know you didn't bring up this point in your post, but I've seen many use it for this purpose as well). I don't necessary disagree with your nomination, I just really wanted to let people know to stop using Taunt because it's not good.

I agree with Punch's nom on Glalie for C- Rank Erisia. Also, thanks Punch for the Glalie team. Glalie isn't really special by any means but, what I do want to talk bout is it's speed and how important it is for this mon and why it's decent with it. Also, just as a note, I have used lefties to have it live sr hits better for longevity with spiking or if I want to lure in a mon and explode.

Base 80 speed doesn't seem all that fast in this meta (or any other meta), that speed is actually mediocre yet, that's all it needs to get by. Running max speed with a naive nature is important for outspeeding the typical rapid spinners and defoggers in this meta and even other hazard setters if you want to go for fast taunt. Base 80 speed is also nice for outspeeding the wallbreakers that set between base 50 and base 75 speed; just in case you want to knock out/weaken/or explode on some like fast mantine, offensive garb, AV mortar, adamant kabutops, claydol, golurk, modest ludicolo before rain dance (love knocking them out with freee dry), etc.

What can even be obnxious about Glalie is that is can act as a semi-decent wallbreaker with Taunt + Super Fang. With fat pokes like clefairy and Miltank on the rise (sorta) Glalie can act as a decent way of stopping them, it can even set-up spikes under the right conditions.

This is all that I've learned from using Glalie and I hope others give Glalie a shot as well and I hope they have fun using it.

Sets that I've used: http://hastebin.com/uwuwenilek.diff

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Update:

Quagsire: B-
Steelix: A > A-
Manectric: B- > C+
Lapras: C+ > B-
Cryogonal: C- > C
Electrode: C- > C
Machoke: C- > C

Discussion Points: These didn't get a lot of discussion or had a split vote so we'd like more thoughts on these.

Vigoroth: C- > C/C+

People voted unanimously against Glalie rising to C- so if someone could post some more reasoning for that side of the argument that'd be great.

And while we're doing stuff with BL4 mons, thoughts on?

Throh: C- > D

The main reason I brought this up was that my reasoning for letting it stay in C- last time was "does Poliwrath do this better?". You can say Circle Throw is a niche but Poliwrath can do it too and can also use Scald to threaten things, and it has a range of extra resistances and immunity to Water-type attacks. Guts Circle Throw while asleep is solid though. Overall there wasn't a huge amount of discussion on it and we now have a proper place to put Throh should we decide it's not C- worthy.

Last edited:
Throh from C- ---> D Agree

I can definitely see this happening as Throh is simply outclassed by our other bulky fighting types of Nu, Gurdurr and Hariyama mainly. These two mons have greater bulk and more power to dish out immediately.

I don't really have much to say about the other mons, agreeing to them all.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Don't have much to say on the discussion points but I have some new noms:

--> B

This meta is really not kind to Kabutops. Honestly I think its niche is pretty much exclusively limited to rain these days; between metagame trends and competition from other Pokemon it's practically impossible to justify anywhere else. As a Water-type, Samurott is more versatile and reliable. As a Rock-type, Rhydon and Barbaracle both really outshine it, with the former being a far better Normal and Flying resist with more general utility, and the latter being a better sweeper and Scarfer. Even as a wallbreaker, it struggles against a lot of common checks and counters like Gurdurr and Gastro. I'm probably repeating a lot of what was said the last time Kabutops dropped but w/e it should drop further

--> B-

I've always found Grumpig underwhelming. It checks Psychic move Jynx, but other than that there's like no reason to bother with it over Hariyama, a Fire and Ice check that doesn't get ruined by Pursuit. I mean ik Jynx is a big threat but unless you're specifically facing Jynx it always feels like an inferior Pokemon.

--> C or C+

I think Simisage is way too good for C-. It's the only fast hard-hitting Grass-type and it's simply really threatening between a ton of coverage and a strongass Leaf Storm. It's especially useful because the best Grass resists in the tier are Garbodor and Magmortar and the like, which are easy to weaken with Leaf Storm so that a partner can clean up. I'd prefer C+ personally but it's definitely at least C.

Last edited:
C- to C/C+|Agree| 100% sure this is not the best normal type in the tier, but its niche of being an absurdly good wincon still makes it a good pick in the tier. Combined with its good set up move like Bulk up or Amnesia (or both) plus a reliable recovery sheltered by its good speed and bulk, this thing might get you winning games with the right set-up. What have i mentioned made Vigoroth looks so awesome, but what sets it apart from the good normies in this tier is coverage, and needs much more support to sweep. Nonetheless this fun mon must rise from the VR.

C- to D|Disagreeing so hard(Even recommending a rise)| D ranked mons means more trouble than its worth, but Throh is Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to far from being like that IMO. I've been using it together with my SpikeStacks team, and like Vigoroth, this is an absurdly good wincon. And hey, it has a very good HP+SpD(tanks most special hits which sets it apart from Poli) and Bulk up+Rest just makes it even harder to plow through. In addition too, as it sets up, it also phazes most set-up sweepers with Circle throw. Just pair this mon with a good dark type and it's good to go.

Last edited:

Thank god Blast posted about this, Simisage has been a monster for so long, yet faced near unranking and residing in C- with trash like Shedinja, Probopass and Relicanth. Blast stated he would like it in either C or C+, though I am going to shoot for C+.

Why is this?
Well, it could be for numerous reasons, like bias against the green monkey or Kiyo is too busy keeping his round head as shiny as can be and forgot about Simisage. Or, as most else would say, it is because of its frailty and Grass typing giving it numerous weaknesses, along with there being better Grass types like Lilligant. While I am not going to dispute Simisage being better than Lilligant or even Ludicolo, I AM going to dispute Simisage being so wrongly ranked.

Well, what are Simisage's uses over these mons to keep it ranked in the first place?
Glad you asked! Here is Simisage's main and best set.

Simisage @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Superpower / Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide / Knock Off

Taking a look at this set, there are numerous niches it provides that Lilligant can't. Not having to rely on a weak Hidden Power for coverage is really nice, plus with the power of Leaf Storm, it can abuse both of its 98 attacking stats to cover several threats. For an example of Simisage beating something Lilligant can't, at least with 100%, is AV Magmortar. Simi certainly can't switch in or OHKO, he can kill Magmor with a Leaf Storm+Rock Slide combination, or simply a Rock Slide after rocks, while Lilligant's best chances at beating Magmortar as it switches in healthy, is to Quiver Dance three times on two Fire Blast misses, and then get the high roll with +3 Hidden Power Rock. Now which option sounds more reliable?

Another example here is Garbodor. While Simisage can't break Garb like it can with Magmortar, it still does a fairly good job. The set we are going to use is offensive, since i believe that to be the more common set. While Lilligant can sleep Garbodor and set up, it still only 2HKOs at +2 while being killed by Gunk. Simisage on the other hand, can simply click its very powerful Leaf Storm and then switch out, leaving it weakened and unable to switch into Sage again. While Lilligant can also do this with Giga Drain or Sleep Powder, Giga doesn't have the power of Leaf Storm and Sleep Powder, while putting Garbodor to bed, means it is still have a very large amount of HP, and can still check Lilligant in the future.

There are of course other uses Simisage has, like 100% outspeeding non scarf Jynx, Charizard, Kangaskhan, Electivire, +2 Carracosta, and some others that are less important, but still notable as a niche over Lilligant.

Ok, that is all nice and dandy, but surely these niches are the things that kept it ranked, what is to justify it rising?

Well, with the recent surge in popularity of mons like Jynx, Miltank, and Bronzor, as well as more people using AV Magmortar as their Lilligant check since that is also up, Simisage can take advantage of all of these. Simisage, as noted before, outspeeds all non scarf Jynx, being able to revenge say Nasty Plot Jynx as long as it has a free switch, while Lilligant is forced to win a speed tie to not even being able to OHKO it with any unboosted move. Miltank has been rising a ton in usage as both a Thick Fat user and a Sap Sipper. Lilligant is basically screwed by the cow if Miltank turns out to be Sap Sipper, only being able to double switch or use a weak Hidden Power, while Simisage can at least weaken up Miltank with Superpower, forcing it to recover as you switch out into a counter. If running Knock Off, you can beat Bronzor, as you 2HKO it with Knock Off, while Bronzor takes advantage of Lilligant, welcoming being put to sleep since it is usually RestTalk. And like previously mentioned, Simisage acts as a great Magmortar lure for teammates who don't like it being in the way of a potential sweep, like Charizard or even Lilligant for a Grass spam team of sorts.

Of course, this isn't to say everything is dandy for Simisage, but sitting in the ranks of C- just isn't cutting it for me. Rise please. For the Elvis Haired Monkey. C+!

erisia

Innovative new design!

Thank god Blast posted about this, Simisage has been a monster for so long, yet faced near unranking and residing in C- with trash like Shedinja, Probopass and Relicanth. Blast stated he would like it in either C or C+, though I am going to shoot for C+.

Why is this?
Well, it could be for numerous reasons, like bias against the green monkey or Kiyo is too busy keeping his round head as shiny as can be and forgot about Simisage. Or, as most else would say, it is because of its frailty and Grass typing giving it numerous weaknesses, along with there being better Grass types like Lilligant. While I am not going to dispute Simisage being better than Lilligant or even Ludicolo, I AM going to dispute Simisage being so wrongly ranked.

Well, what are Simisage's uses over these mons to keep it ranked in the first place?
Glad you asked! Here is Simisage's main and best set.

Simisage @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Superpower / Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide / Knock Off

Taking a look at this set, there are numerous niches it provides that Lilligant can't. Not having to rely on a weak Hidden Power for coverage is really nice, plus with the power of Leaf Storm, it can abuse both of its 98 attacking stats to cover several threats. For an example of Simisage beating something Lilligant can't, at least with 100%, is AV Magmortar. Simi certainly can't switch in or OHKO, he can kill Magmor with a Leaf Storm+Rock Slide combination, or simply a Rock Slide after rocks, while Lilligant's best chances at beating Magmortar as it switches in healthy, is to Quiver Dance three times on two Fire Blast misses, and then get the high roll with +3 Hidden Power Rock. Now which option sounds more reliable?

Another example here is Garbodor. While Simisage can't break Garb like it can with Magmortar, it still does a fairly good job. The set we are going to use is offensive, since i believe that to be the more common set. While Lilligant can sleep Garbodor and set up, it still only 2HKOs at +2 while being killed by Gunk. Simisage on the other hand, can simply click its very powerful Leaf Storm and then switch out, leaving it weakened and unable to switch into Sage again. While Lilligant can also do this with Giga Drain or Sleep Powder, Giga doesn't have the power of Leaf Storm and Sleep Powder, while putting Garbodor to bed, means it is still have a very large amount of HP, and can still check Lilligant in the future.

There are of course other uses Simisage has, like 100% outspeeding non scarf Jynx, Charizard, Kangaskhan, Electivire, +2 Carracosta, and some others that are less important, but still notable as a niche over Lilligant.

Ok, that is all nice and dandy, but surely these niches are the things that kept it ranked, what is to justify it rising?

Well, with the recent surge in popularity of mons like Jynx, Miltank, and Bronzor, as well as more people using AV Magmortar as their Lilligant check since that is also up, Simisage can take advantage of all of these. Simisage, as noted before, outspeeds all non scarf Jynx, being able to revenge say Nasty Plot Jynx as long as it has a free switch, while Lilligant is forced to win a speed tie to not even being able to OHKO it with any unboosted move. Miltank has been rising a ton in usage as both a Thick Fat user and a Sap Sipper. Lilligant is basically screwed by the cow if Miltank turns out to be Sap Sipper, only being able to double switch or use a weak Hidden Power, while Simisage can at least weaken up Miltank with Superpower, forcing it to recover as you switch out into a counter. If running Knock Off, you can beat Bronzor, as you 2HKO it with Knock Off, while Bronzor takes advantage of Lilligant, welcoming being put to sleep since it is usually RestTalk. And like previously mentioned, Simisage acts as a great Magmortar lure for teammates who don't like it being in the way of a potential sweep, like Charizard or even Lilligant for a Grass spam team of sorts.

Of course, this isn't to say everything is dandy for Simisage, but sitting in the ranks of C- just isn't cutting it for me. Rise please. For the Elvis Haired Monkey. C+!
As amusing as this picture is, I really disagree with this post. I used Simisage for a while and was even going to write the analysis until I realised that the above set wasn't worth writing about. In my experience I've actually found that defensive Garbodor is just as popular if not more than offensive Garbodor, and being a Grass-type wallbreaker that doesn't do enough damage to the best general Grass-type check in the tier is not a good thing. Here are some calcs to demonstrate this.

4 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garbodor: 105-125 (34.8 - 41.5%)
4 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 105-125 (28.8 - 34.3%)

This does not do a "good job" of breaking through Garbodor considering Leaf Storm's -2 SpA drop. Garbodor would literally have to switch into Simisage three times in a row for that to happen, and in that case it's usually because Simisage's teammates are dying, as it certainly doesn't have any switch-in opportunities. Shiftry is far better at breaking through Garbodor because a) it has a neutral STAB attack it can use (Knock Off at least removes Garbodor's Rocky Helmet, and even specially based with Dark Pulse is starting to show up, which actually 2HKOes Garbodor), and b), it can run Extrasensory or Explosion on the physical set to lure Garbodor in. When the analysis eventually got through, we gave Simisage 104 SpA EVs so that its Leaf Storm wasn't quite as pathetic at denting Garbodor et al.

Simisage has a small offensive niche in using Rock Slide to break through Charizard and Superpower to threaten Miltank, but Scyther outspeeds and secures momentum as it forces Simisage out with U-turn. Higher base speed is admittedly nice but is it worth the utility of Shiftry's STAB Sucker Punch, which lets it revenge kill even more prominent offensive targets such as Archeops and Swellow (not to mention Choice Scarf and priority users) that all demolish Simisage? Gunk Shot is also quite moot as most Grass-types either take heavy damage from Superpower (or Shiftry's Knock Off) or don't care about it, and you shouldn't be using the frail and easily exploitable Simisage as your Mega Audino check in the first place.

Simisage is fun but the competition with Shiftry is real. I don't see this rising above C- unless Garbodor leaves the tier for some reason. I certainly don't think it should be dropped any more considering the mixed investment spread is much more effective.

Simisage's niche is hardly small, you're seriously underplaying how useful it is to catch Charizard and Vivillon (the other Grasses are forced to switch out on these and give them setup opportunities). You're missing the point about Garbodor switching into Leaf Storm, it's more so to pressure into switching in, so that it gets weakened for say something like Gurdurr to threaten the team greatly. Those calcs should look like this too btw:

104 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garbodor: 117-138 (38.8 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
104 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 117-138 (32.1 - 37.9%) -- 94.6% chance to 3HKO

Gunk Shot also isn't moot at all, it hits way more beyond Mega Audino; Clefairy is something that's rising in usage and it walls so many special attackers it isn't even funny so hitting that is pretty big. Yeah Superpower still hits most Grass-types hard, but it won't OHKO them like Gunk Shot does, which is huge considering Simisage doesn't have the bulk to take a hit back from them. Also no one is using Simisage as their Mega Audino check, it's just nice coverage to have to break through it, which lets be honest, how many Special attackers really have to option to do this? A Shiftry comparison is fair, but we're talking about a Pokemon that's sitting in the C ranks versus a Pokemon in A, so I don't really see how bumping up Simisage's rank a bit is anything bad.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.
stay
Throh has a pretty good niche in NU, being a soft blanket check to plenty of sp.attackers.While some may compare it to Poliwrath which can run very similar set, they play pretty differently and check whole different number of threats. Poliwrath with circle throw is usually physical wall since its typing allows it to mostly check dangerous rock/ ground types like DD rhydon, barbaracle etc, and while this set isnt That bad, its not that good either, special tank with nice coverage is better in this meta and the priority vacuum wave is always nice, and for phys def id rather run gastrodon than poliwrath in most cases or even quagsire on stall builds. Throh on the other hand is a special defensive wall which takes on another variety of threats, from manectric, swellow to pokemon like special rott or AV magmortar which poliwrath can only dream of setting up vs. Anyways, Throh isnt the best or most splashable pokemon around, but its pretty effective in what it does.

C - -> C
Vigoroth can act as surprizingly bulky wincond or stallbreaker, and after just 1 bulk up its pretty hard to stop in case opponent doesnt have strong wallbreaker to deal with it. It does require Pursuit support since its hard stopped by ghost types but its usually worth it. Standard normal resists like Steelix gets beaten 1v1 which just shows how decent this pokemon is. It fits from offensive to semi stall archetypes.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
B- --> C+

Klinklang is becoming increasingly more irrelevant and far less potent as the meta allows for more effective bulky teams. I hardly even have to think about the existance of Klinklang anymore in the builder because of the abundance and splashability of mons that shut it down, such as Gastro, Bronzor, Weezing, and Gurdurr. Honestly, for the first week after I started playing again I forgot it was even still in the tier. I could see it going lower, but I can also respect any counter-argument of its decent matchup against some offensive teams.

Also throwing my support behind
C- --> C+ or even B-

101 is a pretty great Speed tier to be in right now, regardless of what tanks your STABs. Simisage is powerful, fast, and versatile. It's able to run not only the physically biased mixed attacker set with Leaf Storm/Superpower/Rock Slide/Filler, but an equally potent Nasty Plot set that can give it the support needed to spam Leaf Storm as much as it wants throughout a match. Here are some calcs from Simisage on common Grass resists, assuming they switch in on a Nasty Plot from a forced switch or just assuming they are a hard wall:
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Vileplume: 307-361 (86.7 - 101.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Weezing: 304-359 (91 - 107.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 80 SpD Miltank: 338-398 (85.7 - 101%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 132 SpD Skuntank: 346-407 (99.7 - 117.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

and some other, at least notable, calcs

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Clefairy: 286-337 (83.1 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 268-316 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 328-386 (76.4 - 89.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Coverage on coverage and options on options lets this thing do whatever it wants. It'll never be able to hits everything it wants to at once, but it's by and large an entirely different Pokemon compared to other Grass-types. I would not say it's outclassed in about anything it wants to do.

I would also throw my support behind Vig, but that's without having tried it and just theorizing that it could play out very well in a meta with less of an emphasis on Fighting-types and a higher emphasis on bulkier teams.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UR --> C-

If having a strong Freeze-Dry and Explosion alongside a passable Speed tier are criteria enough to be C-, then having a moderately but sufficiently strong Freeze-Dry and Explosion alongside a decent Speed tier coupled with a movepool capable of being tailored to break all defensive Freeze-Dry resists in the tier are more than enough grounds for C-. I've talked about on end about how beautiful Super Fang is on this thing, but then you pair that with moves like Explosion to finish off foes without recovery and Taunt to mess up those that do, and suddenly Glalie becomes even trickier than it already is to defend against. Even if you don't need Glalie to target every single bulky Freeze-Dry resist, you can tweak its moveset accordingly as it still has other options, such as Spikes, Ice Shard, and even Earthquake if you wish to break Magmortar without having to blow Glalie up. Glalie has a decently consistent capacity for punching a hole in stall and perhaps balance teams, while its Speed tier and access to Ice Shard can help keep it relevant against offense. It's not a spectacular mon by any means, but C- is definitely a reasonable rank for it. Heck, maybe even C.

C- --> C / C+

Simisage's Speed tier is pretty hard to deny for a Grass-type; sure it doesn't manage to outspeed the likes of Scyther, Pyroar, and Archeops, but mons like Charizard, Jynx, and Rotom are a good start. It also has the power and coverage to threaten a decent majority of the offensive mons it outspeeds, and while it's a Pokemon primarily meant to harass more offensive cores, it has mild breaking potential as well due to Leaf Storm backed by a decent coverage movepool. I mean sure, Simisage does slightly compete with Shiftry, but I'd say being the closest comparison to the monster that was Sceptile, particularly in the Overgrow Giga Drain aspect, looks pretty good on Simisage's resumé. Nasty Plot Sage is cute too I guess.

C- Leaning towards D

Throh is definitely the kind of mon that requires vastly more support than it offers back for the team, and unlike something like Malamar, it takes its own sweet damn time producing lasting results, giving the opponent that much more time to respond, especially given Throh's poor early- to mid-game presence. People hype up its special bulk, but fail to emphasize Throh's lack of resists and reliable recovery when it comes to taking the main special attacks of the tier, because Throh risks being 3HKOed by the likes of Pyroar's and Magmortar's Fire Blast, Samurott's Hydro Pump, Abomasnow's and Aurorus's Ice attacks, Swellow's Specs Boomburst, etc., which makes Throh an extremely shaky check when it relies on RestTalk and a measly unboosted Circle Throw (of which only Aurorus is really threatened) to keep those at bay, much less attempt to set up. Something else to note is that Throh presents a good opportunity for pretty much every notable Fighting resist in the tier to switch in and take advantage of it, especially if it is asleep. The only factor keeping me from committing to Throh's drop in Rank is how notable its offensive set is, because Guts Zen Headbutt (and arguably Storm Throw?) is very unique amongst the Fighting-type holepunchers.

A > A+

This mon is absurd. Gurdurr is one of the only pokemon in the tier that not only does well versus every team archetype, but can also fit onto just about any kind of build as well. Its moveset is customizable between Stone Edge to demolish Scyther, Charizard, and Xatu, or Bulk Up which snowballs quickly and can make Gurdurr an incredibly threatening sweeper. Hell you can even run Ice Punch if you want to hit Vileplume and destroy all these Teddeh euro balance builds people apparently love. Gurdurr also provides an invaluable secondary normal check to teams without stacking weaknesses or being passive, avoiding the 2HKO from even Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double Edge and Tauros LO Rock Climb. Overall Gurdurr is one of the most splashable, consistent pokemon in the tier and deserves to be ranked as so. The offensive and defensive utility this mon compresses into one slot onto any team archetype is insane and certainly puts Gurdurr on par with the other A+ pokemon.
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 148-175 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 148-175 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
16+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 108-127 (28.8 - 33.9%) -- 1.4% chance to 3HKO
192+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros: 234-276 (80.4 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
192+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kangaskhan: 266-314 (75.7 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
192+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 128-152 (30.9 - 36.7%) -- 61.9% chance to 3HKO

edit: Recent meta trends have also lead to an increase in powerful Dark-types such as Choice Banded Liepard and Skuntank, only futher bolstering Gurdur's viability.

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
A > A+

This mon is absurd. Gurdurr is one of the only pokemon in the tier that not only does well versus every team archetype, but can also fit onto just about any kind of build as well. Its moveset is customizable between Stone Edge to demolish Scyther, Charizard, and Xatu, or Bulk Up which snowballs quickly and can make Gurdurr an incredibly threatening sweeper. Hell you can even run Ice Punch if you want to hit Vileplume and destroy all these Teddeh euro balance builds people apparently love. Gurdurr also provides an invaluable secondary normal check to teams without stacking weaknesses or being passive, avoiding the 2HKO from even Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double Edge and Tauros LO Rock Climb. Overall Gurdurr is one of the most splashable, consistent pokemon in the tier and deserves to be ranked as so. The offensive and defensive utility this mon compresses into one slot onto any team archetype is insane and certainly puts Gurdurr on par with the other A+ pokemon.
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 148-175 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 148-175 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
16+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 108-127 (28.8 - 33.9%) -- 1.4% chance to 3HKO
192+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros: 234-276 (80.4 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
192+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kangaskhan: 266-314 (75.7 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
192+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 128-152 (30.9 - 36.7%) -- 61.9% chance to 3HKO

edit: Recent meta trends have also lead to an increase in powerful Dark-types such as Choice Banded Liepard and Skuntank, only futher bolstering Gurdur's viability.
I disagree!

I get your point about Gurdurr being a threatening set-up sweeper and fairing well against many playstyles, but the main reason I don't feel as though Gurdurr is as good as the other Pokemon in A+ is because of all of the other good Fighting-types in this tier. Hitmonchan is a very splashable hazard remover that I find on many of my teams. Hariyama is a better switch-in to Pokemon like Aurorus and Pyroar. Etc.

Metagame trends have also favored Psychics such as Specs Mesprit and Xatu which can easily beat most Gurdurr variants.

As a result of this competition, Gurdurr is a good enough Pokemon for it to warrant me putting it up there with the splashability of Rotom or Rhydon, along with Swellow's speed tier and ability to destroy offense.

New laptop new me. Thought I'd give my opinion on a few mons recently discussed.

Gurdurr- Have to agree with AJB here in a rise to A+ for this pokemon. One point that seems to be overlooked too is it being able to run knock off which is a major thing Hitmonchan lacks. Although Hitmonchan brings a highly different role to a team, it being in A also automatically makes me compare. Overall I feel chan is super splashable as well, and with things like stone edge and eq being viable options also (of course its access to rapid spin too), think it only fair to really consider Hitmonchan for a rise to A+ also alongside Gurdurr.

Also agree with most on a Simisage rise to C/C+. Not going to say much on this seeing as it's pretty much been covered but yeah, a gap of C- to A+ from Shiftry to this mon seems a little large to me, seeing as it has its benefits like greater base speed, two(ish) viable sets etc.

I'm keen to hear thoughts on a drop for Omastar from A- -> B+. Omastar's main two rolls would be on rain and maybe a normal check/rocker etc. I feel like it is mediocre at both of these compared to things like ludicolo (which is also in A-) for rain or steelix, regirock, rhydon etc. for a normal resist/ rocker. Although Omastar is definitely viable on rain, I don't think it's weakness to ground, fighting, 4x weakness to grass, lower base speed (not that it matters much with rain) makes it a very good option over ludi which definitely outclasses it in my opinion. Yes, it does then have a little more splashability because it can run a more defensive set with both hazards, if necessary, I find this to be a quite small niche since the likes of regirock also has access to the mighty yellow magic, or Steelix which has sturdy which is a major plus.

Glad to be back!

Throh to D (Disagree)
While i don't particularly like Throh, D rank is a bit harsh for something that has a distinct and actually useful niche unlike the last D rank Muk. Im referring mostly to the Offensive BU+3 attacks set rather then the Circle Throw set since its the only thing i genuinely would consider for its rather unique ability to bypass would be fighting stops thanks to Zen Headbutt and beating other set-up users such as malamar or gurdurr with storm throw. AoA sets also have some potential atm with Stone Edge for the ability to lure in Charizard+Scyther.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Some Thoughts on recent nominations, I can't be bothered to use pretty pictures.
Simisage Haven't used or played against this much and haven't had time to test it. No Opinion.

Throh It's honestly mind-boggling to me how people are advocating the use of this thing. I agree with everything Punchshroom said regarding this thing and any legitimate counterarguments I've seen to see this thing drop can be replied to with: but (insert other more relevant fighting type here) fulfills this role better and more reliably or the role has absolutely no relevant or defined niche. This belongs in D.

Vigoroth This is one of those niche mons I actually have a lot of experience with, I'd hardly consider it reliable as the opponent has to literally let you set up (read as: bringing in Steelix and staying in) or have you remove their legitimate means of counterplay to Normal-types (in which case literally any normal-type Pokemon would likely succeed in this role) That being said I agree it has a favorable matchup against the few defensive teams that are running around and vital spirit and decent bulk allows it to shakily check some common sweepers. I'd be ok with C.
Klinklang
Agreeing that the small niche this had simply went away when people finally woke up and realized how good hitmonchan and gurdurr are. on the off-chance you're playing someone that doesn't one of the 3 premier nu fighting types that are on ~40% of nu teams you might have a chance to win with this. But it simply doesnt have enough set up opportunities in this metagame, there are several commonplace checks to it, and it has an unfavorable matchup against 3 pokemon that are seen on nearly half of teams. C+ seems a good fit.
Glalie
I was pleasantly surprised to see that this thing actually does great things. Super Fang is insanely valuable and makes Glalie an incredible wallbreaker for a surprising number of Pokemon. The team I tested Glalie on was based around it supporting Choice Specs Swellow. Glalie was able to dent Steelix, Rhydon, Hariyama, and Lanturn some of the most common and reliable Swellow checks, the best part about this is that people are actually willing to leave these Pokemon in on Glalie and even if they switch they either take 50% or a strong Freeze-Dry. The only downfall I think Glalie has is that in can be hard to fit all the moves you want on it, so you really have to define the niche it's going to play on your team and build around that. I think Glalie is the perfect definition of a C- Pokemon and should see more usage in the coming months.
Gurdurr I've continually said Gurdurr is the best Pokemon in the tier and my opinion remains unchanged. to address some counter-arguments (these are opinions gathered over approx. 400 games playing with and against this Pokemon): Psychic-types simply do not stick around as long as Gurdurr and are not reliable checks in the late-game, if you are able to kill Gurdurr before the late-game you are either playing extremely well and putting your opponent in a difficult spot or your opponent simply does not understand how Gurdurr is meant to be played. Yes, Hitmonchan gives Gurdurr competition for a team's Fighting-type slot, but they perform different roles and fit on different teams. Hitmonchan primarily plays a supporting role for strong attackers such as Vivillon, Charizard, and Scyther among other common Stealth Rock weak set up sweepers and wallbreakers. Whereas Gurdurr offers more defensive capabilities and functions as win condition in several matchups. It's not fair to downplay a Pokemon's viability because 2 other Pokemon of the same type that perform different roles are equally common. The three big Fighting-types are all top tier threats, are all within the top 15 in usage, and have the ability to perform mulitple, different roles without sacrificing any notable traits they possess. It is my opinion that Hariyama, Hitmonchan, and Gurdurr are all worthy of A+ rank, they are as metagame defining if not moreso than every Pokemon ranked in A+ and S.

Klinklang
B- ==> C+
Disagree

As much as I know Klinklang isn't favourable in this meta I don't think it is fair to place it amongst the C-Ranks of the VR. I think Klinklang brings a very relevant niche by the fact that Shift Gear, boosting attack to +1 and speed to +2, essentially means that it out speeds the entire scarfed metagame in one setup. Nothing else in the tier can even go toe to toe with Klinklang in terms of speed apart from Shell Smash Barbaracle, which is touch and go with faster scarfers in the tier such as Scyther. This is no such a problem with Klinklang, once it sets up, you can guarantee no speed control is taking it out. Secondly, Klinklang has been favoured with recent metagame shifts, such as the usage of Specs Mesprit in the last few months and very recently the rise of SpDef Knock Off Clefairy, both of which are excellent support tools so that Klinklang can actually beat the likes of Steelix. In Clefairy's case, once a standard Steelix's leftovers are knocked off, Klinklang can proceed to win 1v1 with Magnet Rise, Shift Gear and Gear Grind. Another argument has been made about the dominance of fighting types in the NU Tier, but fighting types have a huge problem getting past an S Rank Pokemon in Garbodor, and where all fail to OHKO Klinklang with their priority. In the case of Hitmonchan, you fail to OHKO with LO Mach Punch until 60%-70% not to mention the complete shutdown of momentum going for a move like Mach Punch requires you to do. Hariyama and Gurdurr both don't have reliable recovery and are as a result easily weakened, so I don't buy the fighting types make Klinklang shit argument. Finally, I wanted to highlight the sheer utility klinklang has as an offensive check to certain pokemon. It provides key flying, grass, psychic, normal and ice resist where teams will often struggle to provide backup cover for. Klinklang can be a very proficient backup cover to these types in certain builds that might not be able to house all of those resists naturally such as offense. (Also, use magnet rise people, ground types no longer check you)

tl;dr: klinklang is speedy at +2 with shift gear (rip offense), recent metagame trends have been in its favour (specs mesprit, clefairy), all of the relevant fighters dont have reliable recovery so can be weakened easily, and it has a ridiculous number of resists that are extremely useful from a teambuilding perspective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)