Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKIII *Official Media Only*

Status
Not open for further replies.
On this note however, I hope they do some Pokemon upgrades/mix stuff up a bit for Blue/Red. Blue having Alolan Exeggutor/Mega Pidgeot and Red being able to Mega Evolve something would be awesome.
If Red is to be able to Mega Evolve anything it'll undoubtedly be his Charizard; he did it in Pokemon Origins, so he's likely to do it again. If he has a megastone at all, that is. As for Blue, Mega Blastoise or bust. But seeing how Game Freak has put Mega Evolution in the back burner for this generation, I'm not getting my hopes up.

If Red is to be able to Mega Evolve anything it'll undoubtedly be his Charizard; he did it in Pokemon Origins, so he's likely to do it again. If he has a megastone at all, that is. As for Blue, Mega Blastoise or bust. But seeing how Game Freak has put Mega Evolution in the back burner for this generation, I'm not getting my hopes up.
It'll be Mega Pidgeot if anything, if only to keep their teams somewhat anonymous. After all, Red usually has all 3 startes+Pikachu while Blue has Arcanine, Gyarados and Exeggutor + Pidgeot. Though Alakazam being his lead while Cynthia/Wally/Red lead with their aces has me puzzled....

Offtopiiic!

I made a Double-metagame preview for the "Tapu"-mons. Asked Blarajan for his approval :) I would like to post it here as text, but I don't know what spoiler-tags you guys use :)

http://nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/2144-ground-warfare-terrains-in-vgc-2017/

Feel free to add your opinions on this matter because I think it will shift the metagame like never before :D
Interesting write up. I think all 4 could be good, though I think the Electric is the lest helpful support wise. Sure no sleep is nice and double electric attacks is great, but Mystic gives you sleep and a lot else and half dragon damage. Electric will be best for an offensive use.

Psychic terrain is probably going to be quite meta defining. So many people rely or using priority moves in some way or form, especially in doubles, and stoping that would be key. That being said having a way to protect your Tapu Lele will be key, thus a strong fire type to handle steel types would be recommended. Boosting psychic damage lets Lele deal with slower Poison types, I assume most poison types do not want to receive a plus 2 stab psychic. Still you probably want someone that can deal with Gengars, a good dark type perhaps.

Grass Terrain I think could be very good in more bulky stalling teams. Leftovers with terrain should give you lots of recovery. Plus we know Bulu gets horn leech which is an amazing damage plus recovery move means he is probably VERY bulky.

Mystic is probably best suited for set up teams. Teams that don't want to be screwed by a burn or confusion. Also I can see Mysic being pair well with moves that causes self confusion(though Outrage is out of the question due to reducing dragon damage) It may also be good at countering POison and burn orb teams that rely on guts or poison heal.

Also, interesting thing to note, It looks like Minior gets Shell Smash and Acrobatics to boot. Depending on how bulky the base form is, a Shell smash WP Minior can take a hit, change form, SS, and then wipe everyone away with +4 Acrobatics in its naturally faster form. What a legend!
I'd say it would be easier to use with a White Herb.

Also, interesting thing to note, It looks like Minior gets Shell Smash and Acrobatics to boot. Depending on how bulky the base form is, a Shell smash WP Minior can take a hit, change form, SS, and then wipe everyone away with +4 Acrobatics in its naturally faster form. What a legend!
That could be quite interesting, but did I miss when they showed he had both of those moves? And as Siggu said a white herb may be even better.

Well I wouldn't blame you; all the names are in japanese. But its when the boy used the Z move we got a glimpse of Minior's moveset.
Gotcha. Did we see any other potential movsetts? Like for Alolan Persian, any moves look different?

Speaking of Alolan Persion... Would Fur coat or Technician be better? I always had a plan for an Technician Persion, but I needed to trade up from Platinum to get some of the moves I wanted (Shock wave, Icy Wind, Nasty Plot, and Either Swift or Hyper voice.) However I never had platinum so gettting that was gonna be a huge pain. Later ORAS had move tutors with those but again never got around to making it on a team. So when I saw Alolan Meowth had it I thought it would be a good idea... but Fur Coat can make it a very good physical wall with little investment... And still maybe hit hard with nasty plot.

I guess it ultimately comes down to stats and movepool. If it has a great movepool for technician then that may be better, but if it has great defense and physical attack then maybe Fur coat...

About cities : That's the case in all games.
About party creation imbalance : ??? I don't really see your point. Some Pokémon are better than others...like in all other games.
Johto has it worse, all the old Pokémon overshadow the johto ones , there is a small handful that aren't turned into inferior choices, mareep, wooper, crobat, snubull , foretress, skarmory, umbreon and espeon.

The rest of the johto dex comes either too late or is inferior in the main campaign when compared to Pokémon if the same type from Kanto, it isn't strange to see playthrough of starter plus crobat/pidgeot followed by Kanto mons from early routes or gyarados, one of the most used johto mons is mareep and one of the most ditched mons is furret when compared to Raticate. Heck in my playthrough I said to myself that I was using Noctowl and Furret as an hm slave , Noctowl is notable for having to wait until take down for the chance to use a non tm move higher than 80 BP and has to wait to 30 to learn stabs without recoil and extrasensory , this is sad when compared to Pidgeot , even if pidgeot lacks coverage choices it still has a better movepool thanks to wing attack and quick attack coming early. This happens to a lot of johto mons and it is a big design flaw.

Some dex averted this like Pt and B2W2, heck Hoenn does a decent job at allowing new species to shine early and midgame as old species are disk one nukes like Kadabra or Tentacruel. Johto lacks that.

It'll be Mega Pidgeot if anything, if only to keep their teams somewhat anonymous. After all, Red usually has all 3 startes+Pikachu while Blue has Arcanine, Gyarados and Exeggutor + Pidgeot. Though Alakazam being his lead while Cynthia/Wally/Red lead with their aces has me puzzled....
Well Alakazam is the learning curve Pokémon by design.

Abra is a frustration capture method Pokémon that you baby sit until it evolves "early".

Once it evolves it becomes a glass cannon with access to a support movepool and a great neutral stab.

Alakazam Graveler and Machoke evolve with a trade and foment it, especially given that players see invested in them if they where acquired early.

Alakazam is an easy Pokémon to use for the mega evolution mechanic and is one if the best stones to put early to allow a healthy learning curve of the game mechanics with the player. Alakazam also has a Godlike HA that can be obtained ingame with little patience and once again showcases breeding and trading.

Alakazam is one of those Pokémon that has evolved with every change of the franchise, making him an ace or milestone for player experience is actually a great move.

Last edited:
there is a small handful that aren't turned into inferior choices, mareep, wooper, crobat, snubull , foretress, skarmory, umbreon and espeon.
Heracross / Miltank / Lanturn / Octillery, while slow, has a huge movepool / Slowking / Gligar / Donphan / Politoed / Hitmontop / Bellossom. And in HG/SS you can even have Mamoswine, Tangrowth and Yanmega, Ambipom. If you talk about Foretress then you need to talk about Scizor.

Only early 'mons (i.e. Rat/Bird/Insect) are bad, but that's almost always the case. And even Noctowl will eat Ghost gym for dinner.

Edit : I forgot Ambipom in HG/SS.

Heracross / Miltank / Lanturn / Octillery, while slow, has a huge movepool / Slowking / Gligar / Donphan / Politoed / Hitmontop / Bellossom. And in HG/SS you can even have Mamoswine, Tangrowth and Yanmega. If you talk about Foretress then you need to talk about Scizor.

Only early 'mons (i.e. Rat/Bird/Insect) are bad, but that's almost always the case. And even Noctowl will eat Ghost gym for dinner.
But most of them are useless from an in-game standpoint:
- Politoed and Slowking are literally unavailable without trading
- Hitmontop only becomes available when you can get to the deep parts of a cave no one bothers exploring, and only after beating the Elite Four IIRC
- Donphan and Gligar only become available in the latter half of Johto.
- IIRC Heracross was a rare Headbutt spawn.

Only Gen III and V managed to make their new Pokemon feel relevant. In the others (not counting Gen I of course), there's a great chance there's an older gen Pokemon that is more useful, and available at around the same time.

But most of them are useless from an in-game standpoint:
- Politoed and Slowking are literally unavailable without trading
- Hitmontop only becomes available when you can get to the deep parts of a cave no one bothers exploring, and only after beating the Elite Four IIRC
- Donphan and Gligar only become available in the latter half of Johto.
- IIRC Heracross was a rare Headbutt spawn.
About Hitmontop, I don't really remember. For all the others...why is that a problem ? The games were created with trading in mind, if you want that Heracross you'll just have to spam those headbutt (I always do) and nothing tells you to have your 6 pokemon as fast as possible...

About Hitmontop, I don't really remember. For all the others...why is that a problem ? The games were created with trading in mind, if you want that Heracross you'll just have to spam those headbutt (I always do) and nothing tells you to have your 6 pokemon as fast as possible...
Yeah, right, about trading... back then you needed a friend that could get the game, and depending on where you lived...

Nowadays, it's a non-issue.

Well, I was thinking about some things on the timelines.

FRLG are in the same timeline as RSE.

The RSE timeline is different from the ORAS timeline.

ORAS timeline is the same as XY, and the fact that we have Professor Sycamore's assistants in Alola shows that SM are in the ORAS/XY timeline.

When we got to RSE, the frustration was big that we couldn't trade Pokémon from GSC/RBY there. Like really big. Now we can transfer Pokémon from RBY to SM, which should mean (by this logic) that the timelines are as follows:

RBY > GSC > ORAS > XY > SM

FRLG > HGSS > RSE

I don't know where DPP and BW/BW2 would be in this timeline, but, following this logic, Red's team should be the same as his GSC team, thus being Pikachu, Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Snorlax and Espeon. If he gets a mega, it will be MegaZard X for sure, since that's what he has in the Pokémon Origins anime, although I'm not sure they will Mega Evolve anything in this game if they can avoid. I bet his Pikachu know the Z-Move and that's that.

About Blue/Green, Pidgeot, Alakazam, Rhydon, Arcanine, Exeggutor, Gyarados is his basic (without starter) team in RB
In Yellow, his team is Sandslash, Alakazam, Exeggutor, Ninetales, Magneton and Cloyster. Magneton, Cloyster and Ninetales are subbed out by his Eeveelution.

As gym leader in GSC, his team is the same as in RB, so if I had to guess what Blue's team would be, I'f go for the RB one, since it hits nostalgia right there.

You know, I just realized how much of a boon Tapu Bulu is for Sun teams. Grassy Terrain not only boost the attacks of grass moves, but it also Halves the power of the dreaded Earthquake. Give me a decent spinner and I'd say things are looking much brighter for the little under-weather.

You know, I just realized how much of a boon Tapu Bulu is for Sun teams. Grassy Terrain not only boost the attacks of grass moves, but it also Halves the power of the dreaded Earthquake. Give me a decent spinner and I'd say things are looking much brighter for the little under-weather.
Not just them:

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran in Grassy Terrain: 228-268 (59 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery. End result: an EPIC FAIL of a trap if it lost its Sash.

Although it seems to be the most situational of all auto-Terrain abilities. Even Misty Surge has defensive advantages in auto-Safeguard and auto-Dragon resist.

Last edited:
Well, I was thinking about some things on the timelines.

FRLG are in the same timeline as RSE.

The RSE timeline is different from the ORAS timeline.

ORAS timeline is the same as XY, and the fact that we have Professor Sycamore's assistants in Alola shows that SM are in the ORAS/XY timeline.

When we got to RSE, the frustration was big that we couldn't trade Pokémon from GSC/RBY there. Like really big. Now we can transfer Pokémon from RBY to SM, which should mean (by this logic) that the timelines are as follows:

RBY > GSC > ORAS > XY > SM

FRLG > HGSS > RSE

I don't know where DPP and BW/BW2 would be in this timeline, but, following this logic, Red's team should be the same as his GSC team, thus being Pikachu, Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Snorlax and Espeon. If he gets a mega, it will be MegaZard X for sure, since that's what he has in the Pokémon Origins anime, although I'm not sure they will Mega Evolve anything in this game if they can avoid. I bet his Pikachu know the Z-Move and that's that.

About Blue/Green, Pidgeot, Alakazam, Rhydon, Arcanine, Exeggutor, Gyarados is his basic (without starter) team in RB
In Yellow, his team is Sandslash, Alakazam, Exeggutor, Ninetales, Magneton and Cloyster. Magneton, Cloyster and Ninetales are subbed out by his Eeveelution.

As gym leader in GSC, his team is the same as in RB, so if I had to guess what Blue's team would be, I'f go for the RB one, since it hits nostalgia right there.

XY never really was fully defined in the original timeline, even with that timeline that was officially defined a few years ago. It was just sort of ambiguously stated that XY took place around or after BW2.

Following your logic, though, we would have two timelines of

RBY -3 Years-> GSC -?-> ORAS = XY -?-> SM
FRLG = RSE -3 Years-> HGSS = DPPt -?-> BW -2 Years-> BW2

This makes sense if it's assumed that Mega Evolution isn't something that's generally known, particularly in Japan, and Steven spearheads the Hoenn interest following a discovery in France. That, at least, is potentially plausible. The issue is the Fairy-type, because types are defined by characteristics. Even if the Fairy-type was unknown to the point that it wasn't given it's own classification in RBY-GSC, trainers like Lance and Claire should have had more issues and reasons to be wary of pokémon like Granbull and Wigglytuff because of their physical characteristics, and how their dragons interacted with them. By the same token, the Magnemite could have been later classified as a Steel-type when it was noticed that it was hurt more on average by a Ground-type attack, but less by a Normal-type attack than a comparable pokémon such a Voltorb or Pikachu.

Still, this tie-in to the original timeline is an interesting theory.

On the other hand, we can portray the cross-generational travel of pokémon as a matter of time or space. Between Gen I and Gen II, it's a matter of time displacement, and is thus a two-way road with certain stipulations. Because this technology exists in this timeline, and yet it's not possible to connect either of these generations to Gen III, it could be stated that Gen III exists in a different deminsion of space.

Following this, we know that pokémon physically travel through space to get to the next generation (Gen III->Gen IV, Gen IV->Gen V). Theoretically, the pokémon could make a return journey to their home region, but they likely can't because that home trainer is no longer there, indicating that they cannot travel backwards through time. For context, assuming that a diglett is sent to Diamond from Fire Red, because we know that three years have passed since the diglett left the Fire Red trainer. At most, this means that it would take a total of six years for the diglett to return to Kanto. Likely, this is less, because we know that this same diglett can be sent to Heart Gold, and the departure and the arrival could both be in Fuschia City.

Finally, we know that RSE and ORAS exist in separate dimensions according to in-game lore, and wasn't it proposed that the meteor from the Delta Episode be sent to an alternate dimension? This, at least, indicates that across dimensions, the Pokémon World has technology that can affect both time and space, and this is proved by the fact that pokémon from the two dimensions that RSE and ORAS exist in can co-exist through Bank.

So therefore, it's entirely possible that Pokémon Bank is a sort of pocket dimension that is designed not to exist in time - it's meant to connect to every game for the forseeable future, even including games that would theoretically exist in a separate time from XY, ORAS, or SM. The caveat seems to be that there is a mechanism that prevents a pokémon from being accessed from a time that comes prior to it being placed within this pocket. We're not losing access to Bank from XY and ORAS, after all, it's just that from those games, we just don't have access to any of the pokémon placed into Bank by RBGY or SM.

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
At 1:45 (ish), Exxegutor is shown using a Band new Z move called BreckNeck Blitz

Later in the video, Minior is also shown using a Z move which seems to be rock type.

White Herb, Weakness Policy or Sitrus? It becomes squishy/faster at half hp so recovering its defenses might be pointless depending on how squishy it becomes.

Heracross / Miltank / Lanturn / Octillery, while slow, has a huge movepool / Slowking / Gligar / Donphan / Politoed / Hitmontop / Bellossom. And in HG/SS you can even have Mamoswine, Tangrowth and Yanmega, Ambipom. If you talk about Foretress then you need to talk about Scizor.

Edit : I forgot Ambipom in HG/SS.
Discard all the trade evolutions, things post Morty face the terrible level curve the hardest , phanpy dodges the bullet due to being an early route mon in Crystal making it one of the best mons along Magmar for breaking the game.

Heracross was terrible in GSC , it was buffed greatly with brick break.

Mamoswine is a great addition , in a terrible level curve , Yanmega is an odd choice given it's early movepool and constraints for lv 30, hitmontop is the bitch of the level curve and everything it does is overshadowed by the Kanto mons, Bellosom is inferior to Vileplume in every meaningful way and so is Sunflora.

Seriously Yanma is shit unless you are lucky with ominous wind/silver wind drop in goldenrod store or grind psychic Tm , the only offensive non normal type moves it learns are pursuit at 30 and ancient power at 33 making it evolve at 34. Yanma is shit in HGSS when compared to the move evolutions of gen 4.

Ambipom comes too late to actually matter and it isn't a better Raticate by far even with technician.

Seriously don't bother with your trade evolutions, they don't work on replays so no Scizor , Steelix , slowking or Kingdra to be expected.

I know you are trying to defend it... But your list was mediocre and not helping the point.

Last edited:
Discard all the trade evolutions, things post Morty face the terrible level curve the hardest , phanpy dodges the bullet due to being an early route mon in Crystal making it one of the best mons along Magmar for breaking the game.

Heracross was terrible in GSC , it was buffed greatly with brick break.

Mamoswine is a great addition , in a terrible level curve , Yanmega is an odd choice given it's early movepool and constraints for lv 30, hitmontop is the bitch of the level curve and everything it does is overshadowed by the Kanto mons, Bellosom is inferior to Vileplume in every meaningful way and so is Sunflora.

Ambipom comes too late to actually matter and it isn't a better Raticate by far even with technician.

Seriously don't bother with your trade evolutions, they don't work on replays so no Scizor , Steelix , slowking or Kingdra to be expected.

I know you are trying to defend it... But your list was mediocre and not helping the point.
You're only stating things that suit your playstyle, who cares about "level curve" or "trade evolution". Why is it so important to have your 6 pokemon early ? Nothing. I could stay with my starter until badge 6 and pick 5 other 'mons after that point and have no trouble finishing the game, where is the problem in that ?
And maybe trade evolutions don't work for you. Never had a problem using trade evolution.

You're only stating things that suit your playstyle, who cares about "level curve" or "trade evolution". Why is it so important to have your 6 pokemon early ? Nothing. I could stay with my starter until badge 6 and pick 5 other 'mons after that point and have no trouble finishing the game, where is the problem in that ?
And maybe trade evolutions don't work for you. Never had a problem using trade evolution.
The point is that they are not things that you are actually going for first, for they are either rarities, trade-only or Pokemon that require backtracking or special conditions (e.g. Hoothoot, the early-route bird, requires you to be playing at night, whereas Pidgey and Spearow were available 24/7). It is significantly more likely for one to end up making a team with lots (AKA everyone but the starter) of Gen I Pokemon unless you know those Gen II Pokemon and how to get them (hint: many of us didn't at first).

I mean, Gen II pokemon seemed much rarer than Gen I pokemon in Johto itself lol. Even Gen IV did it better, and it relies more on previous gen Pokemon. Another example - BW2 and its huge amount of non-Unova Pokemon compared to its prequels still gave Gen V Pokemon a lot of room to shine.

That's the problem we wish Sun and Moon to avoid - making teams with no new Pokemon bar the starter extremely likely to happen because the newer Pokemon are too obscure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)