Pokémon Wishiwashi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wishiwashi

No. 746—the Small Fry Pokémon
Type: Water
Solo Form stats: 45 HP/20 Atk/20 Def/25 SpA/25 SpD/40 Spe (175 Total)
School Form stats: 45 HP/140 Atk/130 Def/140 SpA/135 SpD/30 Spe (620 Total)

Ability: Schooling—If this Pokémon has more than 25% HP at the end of the turn, it will transform into School Form; otherwise, it will transform to Solo Form.

Level Up:
Start: Water Gun
Start: Growl
L6: Helping Hand
L9: Faint Attack
L14: Brine
L17: Aqua Ring
L22: Tearful Look
L25: Take Down
L30: Dive
L33: Beat Up
L38: Aqua Tail
L41: Double-Edge
L46: Soak
L49: Endeavor
L54: Hydro Pump

Technical Machine:
TM06: Toxic
TM07: Hail
TM10: Hidden Power
TM13: Ice Beam
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM21: Frustration
TM26: Earthquake
TM27: Return
TM32: Double Team
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM48: Round
TM55: Scald
TM78: Bulldoze
TM87: Swagger
TM88: Sleep Talk
TM89: U-turn
TM90: Substitute
TM94: Surf
TM98: Waterfall
TM100: Confide

Breeding:
- Water Sport
- Water Pulse
- Muddy Water
- Mist

Maximum Z-Move Power and Category:
Breakneck Blitz: 190 Physical/120 Special
Tectonic Rage: 180 Physical
Savage Spin-Out: 140 Physical
Hydro Vortex: 175 Physical/185 Special
Subzero Slammer: 175 Special
Black Hole Eclipse: 120 Physical

Overview:
Wishiwashi is the only Pokémon with a base stat total that is both better than the Pseudo-legendary Pokémon and worse than Sunkern. Taking its School Form as the original form, this Pokémon essentially is an Archeops with a more lenient condition and a less forgiving consequence. However, we can look at what School Form has to offer, and we see that there is plenty of it. For starters, Base 140 offenses and 45/130/135 defenses are nothing to laugh at, and it will take considerable effort to get this Pokémon into Solo Form. Furthermore, with a powerful STAB Hydro Pump and sufficient coverage options, this Pokémon is guaranteed to put a dent in something, at the very minimum.

Potential Sets:
Bulky Offensive Attacker
Wishiwashi @ Sitrus Berry/Chesto Berry/Iapapa Berry
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 248 HP/8 Atk/252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- U-turn/Endeavor/Rest

A Hydro Pump coming off of a 140 base Special Attack, with Ice Beam for coverage, is nothing to scoff at, especially if it is guaranteed to 3HKO Mew with maximum Special Defense investment. With 140 base Attack as well, Earthquake makes it easy to take care of problematic Steel-type Pokémon, and is notable for hitting Toxapex super effectively. In the final moveslot, Wishiwashi can either run U-turn for a slow switch-in to a teammate, or Endeavor to chip away at a good portion of the opponent's health thanks to its low HP stat. Alternatively, Rest can be used to heal up Wishiwashi and help it continue to fire off Hydro Pumps.

As Hydro Pump is the main player here, maximum investment in Special Attack is important, and a Quiet nature gives it even more special power at the cost of its already nonexistent speed. The rest of the EVs go into HP to increase its bulk and Attack to provide some more physical power. Sitrus Berry heals up Wishiwashi at low health to over 25% HP, ensuring that it stays in School Form longer. If using Rest, a Chesto Berry is preferred to wake it up right away. Iapapa Berry, or any similar berry other than Mago, heals 50% HP as opposed to 25% from Sitrus, but it also activates at a lower threshold, meaning it would take precise damage control on Wishiwashi to make use of the Berry.

My Thoughts/Comments:
In its school Form, Wishiwashi is a very solid Pokémon thanks to its stats. Taking it as a glorified Archeops, I won't be surprised if this goes as far down as RU. With its fantastic bulk and power, however, regardless of the tier it ends up in, I can see this sardine submarine making waves on OU teams.

Last edited:

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I highly doubt that Situs Berry is the best item for this pokemon.

Actually, if I'm understanding it right the downside of Wishiwashi's ability is barely even relevant. A pokemon with Base 30 speed and < 25% HP at the end of the turn is basically dead anyway no matter what. So with normal logic applying I would imagine that Choice Specs or even Leftovers is much better.

Overall it doesn't look too bad. Doubt it will be particularly relevant because of the low speed, lack of recovery and lack of resistances, but it should at least get one or two decent hits off.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Sitrus Berry kind of sucks. I'd rather run Rest+Chesto, Rest+Sleep Talk or Leftovers+Protect for healing.

Healing Wish support would be good on Wishiwashi considering that it's exactly 100% useless, death fodder when it's HP drops to 25% or less. Rest is fairly good, though Electric and Misty Terrain ruin Rest and Wishiwashi's viability.

Choice band and Choice specs are interesting items but Wishwashi since it gets U-turn and has some of the most powerful attack stats in the game. Its speed is lacking. Type resist berries like a Wacan berry mean it can take a hit and KO back. It should main invest in HP and one of its Offensive stats to get the most of it.

if the z-move slot isnt being used elsewhere, then ice-z + mist is generally better than chestorest. z-mist fully heals before using and isnt screwed by terrains, and in games where it isnt useful, you can still fire off a 175 BP ice move.

wishi is pretty underwhelming right now imo but could definitely get better if/when ou gets trimmed of some of the new offensive threats. its pretty firmly a wallbreaker.

Wishiwashi-School @ Choice Specs
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- U-turn

Honestly Wishiwashi is not that great in OU, but this is probably the best set it can run there. Defensive sets are a waste of time; just go all in hard. Don't let Wishiwashi take too much prior damage and try to get it in with a slow Volt Switch/U-turn or on a double switch. Since it's so astronomically slow, your best bet is to try and get it in something that can't immediately threaten it and fire off a Specs Hydro Pump. If they switch out, you can either take a hit and pull off another attack or just get the hell out of there and try to come back in safely later. Not all is bad news: Wishiwashi has the highest Sp. Attack stat of any Water type in OU, and thus it packs the strongest Hydro Pump. In rain, even some the bulkiest Water resists are 2HKO'd at worst. Ice Beam and HP [Electric] round off the set nicely as coverage moves, with the latter being useful for Mantine which is popular at the moment. Honestly you'll probably rarely click U-turn but it's there as an option in case you predict the opponent will bring in a Chansey or something like that. 44 Speed EVs let it outspeed base 35s (mainly Toxapex). Max Speed investment is an option on this set which lets Wishiwashi outrun everything up to Clefable, but doing so will severely compromise its bulk and so this is not really recommended. You're better off bringing Trick Room support if you want to be outrunning stuff.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Wishiwashi Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 178-210 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Wishiwashi Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex in Rain: 172-203 (56.5 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Honestly I've had the nost success with Resttalk.

Scald/Hydro
U-turn
Resttalk

Defensive or Specially Defense

Fun on those Koko/Pelliper teams because of the Rain and ET's ability to wake you up after a rest, in fact it makes me want to mess with Resto Chesto more.

Now that Figy, Wiki, Mago, Aguav, and Payapa Berries (the ones that heal in a pinch and cause confusion if the Pokémon dislikes the flavor) heal 50% of the Pokémon's HP rather than 12.5%, I slashed in a Iapapa Berry into the set. I don't know how much Wishiwashi's viability will increase, if it will at all, but it's an option to consider.

Edit: also added in egg moves and each of the offensive Z-moves it could have

Last edited:
Would Assault Vest be any good? Sets the special defense above 200 for 45/130/202 bulk. I've noticed almost everyone lists a full out attack set anyways, and those weaknesses will mostly be from special attacks anyway. Could run Scald for the burn to help the 130 defense even more too. With the added bulk can probably plan your U-turn a bit better to get some wish support to come back in later for your heals. Not sure if worth the maintenance and setup but just and idea idk.

The speed and HP stink, it's just another garbage mon. Chansey can take over a third off with Seismic Toss (or you, any mon with that or Night Shade or whatever) so I think it will struggle in whatever tier it's in. If it had better speed to run sub or whatever, it would be somewhat workable, but it doesn't so it's not.

The speed and HP stink, it's just another garbage mon. Chansey can take over a third off with Seismic Toss (or you, any mon with that or Night Shade or whatever) so I think it will struggle in whatever tier it's in. If it had better speed to run sub or whatever, it would be somewhat workable, but it doesn't so it's not.
Couldn't you say the same thing about Toxapex, the best defensive mon in the tier?

Couldn't you say the same thing about Toxapex, the best defensive mon in the tier?
Except that Wishiwashi is not a defensive mon so comparing the two is pointless. Wishiwashi is meant to dish out hits, so it's terrible speed and HP severly hinder it. Toxapex is meant to take hits (like, all damn day), so the terrible speed isn't much of a hindrance, and his mediocre HP is offset by his fantastic defenses + regen + recover

I can see how they were they trying to balance Wishiwashi here but I think they made the movepool a little too barren and the HP stat a little too low. If it either had good support options to improve its longevity or a more workable HP stat like Base 60-70, than I could picture it being a lot more successful. As it is, it's going to need a lot of support to function in OU however it may shape out. Even with those defenses it's going to get knocking into 25% far too quickly. At least it doesn't kick in until after you've made a move.

Last edited:
I think it's important that Wishiwashi run either Endeavor or some Rest variant.

Actually, if I'm understanding it right the downside of Wishiwashi's ability is barely even relevant. A pokemon with Base 30 speed and < 25% HP at the end of the turn is basically dead anyway no matter what. So with normal logic applying I would imagine that Choice Specs or even Leftovers is much better.
Here's the issue. When it reverts to solo form, Wishiwashi becomes the best setup bait in the game. Since Wishiwashi reverts at the end of the turn, you can even score a KO only to have a setup sweeper come in against you next.

Which, going back, is why Endeavor is so great. It makes the enemy need to attack!

I don't see a lot of sets for him other than
- Hydro Pump / Aqua Tail
- Ice Beam
- U-turn / Earthquake
- Endeavor / Rest

And maybe Sleep Talk. But that's not a problem.

Would Assault Vest be any good?.
I think Assault Vest has a lot of potential for Wishiwashi. Endeavor works with it too.

Also, his low HP and good defenses make him pair well with Wish users, I guess.

Firstly, I absolutely love this Pokemon's design, mainly because it reminds me of a book I used to read a lot when I was little. I seem to be the only one who realizes this, but this thing is practically ripped straight from the pages of Swimmy by Leo Lionni.

Secondly, might Scald or Bulldoze be of use on this thing? Scald makes it even bulkier on the physical side, but given its low speed, the only way Wishiwashi is landing a burn before it's hit is if the opponent doesn't attack, and since it will take longer to kill things compared to Hydro Pump, the increase in bulk is offset somewhat. Bulldoze's speed drop could potentially be useful given Wishiwashi's low speed, but this thing is so slow that it might still get outsped even with the opponent's speed lowered.

Thirdly, would a more physically focused set see much success? Aqua Tail and Waterfall may not match Hydro Pump in terms of raw power, but in return, Earthquake and U-Turn are stronger, and you could maybe use Facade or Beat Up if you're worried about status (Facade), or things like Substitute, Sturdy, or Mimikyu. Something like this, perhaps?

Wishiwashi-School @ Choice Band / Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Aqua Tail / Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam / Return / Facade / Beat Up
- U-turn

If you aren't running Ice Beam, then change its nature to Adamant and throw the 8 extra EVs into Defense and/or Special Defense (keep the HP as is since it makes it an odd number).

Finally, you made a few errors in the movelist. Ice Beam is misspelled, and Rock Slide shouldn't be there.

I'm surprised with how much Wishiwashi's "abysmal" speed is being thrown around and not a single person has mentioned Trick Room. I could see some solid potential sweeps if you can get this guy in relatively unharmed with TR active, since he resists a fair number of priority moves. Plus you can pretty reliably setup a substitute before your opponent attacks (granted it would take some calcs to know if sub would actually be worth it even with 252 in HP). I wouldn't be surprised if you could nuke 2-3 pokemon with this guys atk/spa+choice in that time frame.

What about Leftovers-and-protect? You could use Protect to stall it into school form, and if it is against anyone seeking to chip it into 25% health the leftovers would stall that. Protect is good for creating a mind game for your adversary, causing them to possibly open up on reliance you will leftovers stall with protect, when you are really planning to attack. And if you are at the threshold of 25% health the leftover could either prevent the form-change into Solo that very turn, or return you to school form the next turn on a protect.

Could Tsareena and Marowak-A be good partners? They seem to cover each other's weaknesses pretty well (and Tsareena can Rapid Spin for Marowak-A and Play Rough the dark types he brings).

Could Tsareena and Marowak-A be good partners? They seem to cover each other's weaknesses pretty well (and Tsareena can Rapid Spin for Marowak-A and Play Rough the dark types he brings).
I think you might be in the wrong thread. This is a WishiWashi thread.

What about Leftovers-and-protect? You could use Protect to stall it into school form, and if it is against anyone seeking to chip it into 25% health the leftovers would stall that. Protect is good for creating a mind game for your adversary, causing them to possibly open up on reliance you will leftovers stall with protect, when you are really planning to attack. And if you are at the threshold of 25% health the leftover could either prevent the form-change into Solo that very turn, or return you to school form the next turn on a protect.
It's pointless because of its terrible speed.

You still get killed at 25% health by anything that's not a wall. At best you can get an Aqua Jet off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)