Battle Tree Discussion and Records

You do realize that that with Isle Evelup in Poke Pelago, all you have to do is put your Metagross in there for 63 sessions(31.5 hours) of Speed training, and you will have max speed EVs? Repeat for Attack and you will have max EVs. The DS doesn't even have to be on. How lazy are you?
He was rude and violated the rules of the first post, please do not be rude in kind. It distracts from learning how to reach 10000 in the battle tree.

This may be an awkward time to mention this...but...

I've EV trained 8 pokemon in the last hour. 2 Celesteela, 4 Tapus, a Nihilego, and a Pheromosa. Because I have to EV them before I level them before I bottlecap them.

EV training is actually quite easy in this game. Does anyone know a good spot for HP EVs though? I've seen Grimer pop up as a potential spot but I don't want to mess with Poison Touch + Poison Fang + Minimize shenanigans.

I'm looking to making an initial team for BP farming and I got the following Pokemon, clearly breeding rejects, from Wonder Trade:

Link to screenshots of the PC IV Judge rates on the Wonder Trade Pokemon

They seem to be fairly decent for a first team, and while a few would be better with the Mega Stones I obviously did not get yet... I wonder if I can pull something with them.

(Didn't check their Egg Moves though. The only one I noticed was Dragon Dance on Bagon, and that's because I was breeding for one in a recent Emerald playthrough :P)

Got sucked into Sun and Moon battle tree, RIP free time.

Doubles team I tinkered with got me 64 wins.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Sky Drop

Oranguru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Instruct
- Psychic
- Nature Power
- Taunt

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Crunch
- Bulk Up

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 8 Atk / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Rash Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Psychic]
- Low Kick

Choice Scarf Oranguru is pretty fun.

I use Instruct 95% of the time, and seeing as I'm choiced I needed to make the rest of the team work with Instruct, and they perform very well. With those EVs Oranguru hits 178 speed which ties with +speed base 110. With max investment it could tie with 115s but I wanted it to be just slower than Mega Lucario so I could Instruct his Close Combats. Pheromosa appreciates the Instructs so Beast Boost SpAtk can activate mid-turn and clear bulkier enemies on the 2nd attack. The team has solid synergy and is only slightly weak vs bulky ground types. Tapu Koko just uses the best coverage move and sometimes Sky Drop which can allow for an easy switch-in.

Losing Video: CTMW-WWWW-WWW2-F2CB

Pretty depressing loss. I used Taunt on Blissey to prevent potential hax, oh the irony.

Hi new to the forums (been lurking for a while here though) and I need help on a team I made for Super Singles.

I got to 46 :( with this team

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ idk
Adamant nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ idk
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Play Rough

Araquanid @ Sitrus Berry (going to relace with leftovers now that I've got them)
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP/ 100-ish Atk/ 150-ish Defense
Adamant Nature
- Aqua RIng
- Substitute
- Liquidation
- Lunge

I died to a M-Slowbro + Komala + Crabominable team where M-Slowbro tanked a +1 Outrage and 2HKOed with Blizzard, Trick Roomed on my Mimikyu SD, Mimikyu Disguise broke with Komala Wood Hammer before OHKOing it with Play Rough, Crabominable OHKOed with Ice Hammer (should have Shadow Sneaked here) then it critted Araquanid with Rock Slide and survived my Liquidations to kill me with Rockslide.

Apart from better play I was wondering if I could optimise my team further (Araquanid doesnt have the best IVs). Roost on Dragonite seems to be used less than I felt it would be and can I replace it with another coverage(screw Togekiss). I was also thinking of replacing Araquanid with Toxapex. Help is greatly apreicated thanks

So after spending like 3 hours grinding my Xurkitree up to lvl 100 I finally was able to hyper train it -- Anyone have a better strat then just grinding the E4 over and over? After that I pretty easily face rolled through the first 50 battles in super doubles (remembering not to click instruct on the opposing team is very key!). I am debating swapping my chomp for an adamant LO Tapu Bulu, my only problem with doing so is that I lose out on my only way to hit other dragons super effectively...

Original team/post is down below -- If anyone has thoughts to improve it let me know, also if people have multi battle teams let me know (its the last format I need to hit 50 wins on)

I just built tried out this team and pretty easily made it to 49 wins in super doubles... (miss clicked instruct on the other team...) -- I am leading Xurkitree and Oranguru, then depending on their lead using one of its multi attacks (and in a few rare instances energy ball) and instruct. Or I am attacking and setting up TR on turn 1. Turn 2 if Xurkitree is still alive almost always results in a KO (I can instruct with Oranguru to hit first with Xurkitree in TR, instruct to hit again when TR is not up, or set up TR). Most battles are face rolled by just the Xurkitree Oranguru combo, however sometimes I need to bring out Torkoal. When this happens, due to a lucky crit or my sacking or Xurkitree my plan is pretty obviously to just eruption and instruct (if TR is up) or to protect and set up TR (obviously solar beam is a option for a few of the bulkiest ground/water types).

I don't use Garchomp that often on this team, but definitely appreciate it every once in a while. It is a pretty solid mon along with Xurkitree for when I can't have TR up and also provides nice damage when I make a mistake (the other 7-10 times I accidentally misclicked on the enemy with instruct... seriously, who thought it was a good idea to have the cursor automatically select the enemy when you click on instruct????) and generally outspends everything. That said, if I were to change a mon I would probably get rid of chomp -- I just don't know what I would want to take its place.

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 19 HP / 9 Atk / 2 Def / 3 SpD
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Discharge
- Volt Switch

Oranguru @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 21 Atk / 7 Spe
- Protect
- Trick Room
- Instruct
- Psychic

Torkoal @ Firium Z
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 14 Spe
- Protect
- Solar Beam
- Heat Wave
- Eruption

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 27 SpA
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Obviously I still need to train Xurkitree to lvl 100 and hyper train it up as well as work on getting some 0 sp

Okay Multi Battle info I've just figured out if anyone is interested

I scouted Wally. In singles he Lead with Mega Garchomp, then Altaria, then Magnezone. It really surprised me he had Mega Garchomp. Does anyone know if Cynthia also leads with Mega chomp?

So in Multi Battle He again goes with Mega Chomp, followed by Altaria. Both with Mega Stones. But again he always has been leading Garchomp (been leaving and returning after every battle, trying to get him to switch lead mons like in ORAS, but no dice after 5 tries.) I will say Wally Chomp has a beastly 244 attack plus sandforce which can be nice.

Other thing I've been trying to figure out is what determines the two pokemon you get from the trainer you scout. I was thinking it was just whichever first two you encounter in the battle, since signature mons of characters weren't being picked and thats what I was getting after scouting 4 of the 10th battle leaders (or whatever they're called). But then I tried scouting a random one, Verna. In super singles she went Lapras -> Feraligatr -> Politoed, But rather than getting Feraligatr as her multi battle backup, she has Politoed. This would suggest the opposite, that there is a guaranteed team you get from whoever you scout, and for Wally that appears to Garchomp/Altaria rather than Gallade/Magnezone.

Screenshot of summary stats on Wally here:
http://i.imgur.com/yuU58if.jpg

Also, as far as I can tell you can only have a scouted AI, or an infrared-linked friend as partner. No Friend AI like in XY or Wi-Fi partners as far as I can tell, unless someone has found something I haven't?

I just reached 80 in Super Doubles and still going strong. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for my team

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Electrics Surge
Timid - 252 Spa, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot
-Dazzling Gleam
-HP Ice

Raichu-A @ Life Orb
Surge Surfer
Modest - 252 Spa, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot
-Psychic
-Protect

Gyarados @ gyaradosite
Intimidate
Adamant- 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Ice Fang
-Protect

Garchomp Lum Berry
Sand Veil
Jolly - 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Fire Fang
-Swords Dance

The straregy for this team is usually to dual thunderbolt if possible. Depending on the lead of the opponenets, gyradis is usually a good switch in to weaken physical attackers and dodge EQs thrown out at the two electric type leaks. Garchomp can switch in to absorb electric attacks thrown at gyarados, and is just generally good.

I believe I found an error with the calculator, either that or I'm doing something wrong.
Here is what the calc with the battle tree sets gives me:

0 SpA Slowbro-Mega Scald vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magmortar: 66-78 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Slowbro-Mega Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magmortar: 75-88 (41.2 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Somehow Psychic is doing more damage even though Scald is super effective? Also when I used scald it did at least 60% in practice. Here's what I get (which seems correct) when I use the Nugget Bridge calculator, adding SpA EVs to match Mega-Slowbro's 150 base because it doesn't have the mega form.

242 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Magmortar: 116-140 (63.7 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
242 SpA Slowbro Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Magmortar: 67-79 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Is this an error with calculator or am I doing something wrong?

Hi, I don't know if this is just a speculation thread, but how can people have dragon dance salamence on their team? is there someway to get it that I have not seen?

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

I believe I found an error with the calculator, either that or I'm doing something wrong.

0 SpA Slowbro-Mega Scald vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magmortar: 66-78 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Slowbro-Mega Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magmortar: 75-88 (41.2 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Somehow Psychic is doing more damage even though Scald is super effective? Also when I used scald it did at least 60% in practice. Here's what I get (which seems correct) when I use the Nugget Bridge calculator, adding SpA EVs to match Mega-Slowbro's 150 base because it doesn't have the mega form.

242 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Magmortar: 116-140 (63.7 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
242 SpA Slowbro Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Magmortar: 67-79 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You seem to be doing something wrong, I get the same results as you get on Nugget Bridge when I use the Showdown calculator. It looks like you may have chosen Assault Vest Magmortar.

You seem to be doing something wrong, I get the same results as you get on Nugget Bridge when I use the Showdown calculator. It looks like you may have chosen Assault Vest Magmortar.
I'm not using the one on showdown, I'm using this one: http://turskain.github.io/
If assault vest was being calc'd it would look like this:
0 SpA Slowbro-Mega Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Assault Vest Magmortar: 51-60 (28 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
oh ok, that makes more sense. Serebii is over here telling me its event only.
http://serebii.net/pokedex-sm/egg/371.shtml#dragondance

This says otherwise?

Also: I now have a Nihilego \o/ Timid + HP Ice. What's the best set for it to use? I'm thinking 252Spcl Att/252 Spe, but I got to round 14 with an awful back up (my ingame team Mudsdale/Primarina) and no EVs, so I can see it being incredibly good like others have said with the right support. Just need to sit down and grind out a few more for Destiny Knot/Power Items and I am good to go (the sooner Bank comes the better).

Started another playthrough on Moon, what natures should I be looking to have for the Moon exclusive UBs (Pheromosa/Celesteela) when I get there (to use in my Sun Games Battle Tree)? I've been hearing Naive/Rash for Pheromosa (Doesn't need a HP) and Celesteela can work with basically anything you want?

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Did you have the weather set to Sun by any chance? Currently, the Showdown calculator doesn't add "in the Sun/Rain/Terrain" messages to the KO chance lines, so you might've had it checked without noticing.

If I use Toxapex what is the BT optimised set to use?

Also what beats M-Kanga
I have been using this set for toxapex in the battle tree super singles to pretty solid success:

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover

As for your M-Kanga problem, toxapex does pretty well against it (it is a crazy solid defensive mon) -- I have also done pretty well with the A-Marowak I just bred, the ghost typing pretty much stops M-Kanga from hitting you (in my experience so far, might be missing some of the coverage) and can beat it down pretty quick after any initial damage

Okay Multi Battle info I've just figured out if anyone is interested

I scouted Wally. In singles he Lead with Mega Garchomp, then Altaria, then Magnezone. It really surprised me he had Mega Garchomp. Does anyone know if Cynthia also leads with Mega chomp?

So in Multi Battle He again goes with Mega Chomp, followed by Altaria. Both with Mega Stones. But again he always has been leading Garchomp (been leaving and returning after every battle, trying to get him to switch lead mons like in ORAS, but no dice after 5 tries.) I will say Wally Chomp has a beastly 244 attack plus sandforce which can be nice.

Other thing I've been trying to figure out is what determines the two pokemon you get from the trainer you scout. I was thinking it was just whichever first two you encounter in the battle, since signature mons of characters weren't being picked and thats what I was getting after scouting 4 of the 10th battle leaders (or whatever they're called). But then I tried scouting a random one, Verna. In super singles she went Lapras -> Feraligatr -> Politoed, But rather than getting Feraligatr as her multi battle backup, she has Politoed. This would suggest the opposite, that there is a guaranteed team you get from whoever you scout, and for Wally that appears to Garchomp/Altaria rather than Gallade/Magnezone.

Screenshot of summary stats on Wally here:
http://i.imgur.com/yuU58if.jpg

Also, as far as I can tell you can only have a scouted AI, or an infrared-linked friend as partner. No Friend AI like in XY or Wi-Fi partners as far as I can tell, unless someone has found something I haven't?
Ok, every trainer class (And that include legendes like Wally Cynthia etc) have a "pool" of posible mons to use. For example, Wally has Gallade (Mega and no Mega) Chomp and Altaria (same) and Magnezone (2 sets), so its random what mon they have in battle and is random wich one you can get when you scout them.

"My" Wally have Magnezone as lead and Mega Gallade. Cynthia as you asked, have the option to have Lucario, Spiritomb, Garchomp, Milotic and Togekiss. Chomp and Lucario can be Mega.

And i THINK that you can battle online in multi battles (when you select it, the lady ask you about connect to a friend or something like that), but i havent try it.

http://serebii.net/pokedex-sm/egg/371.shtml#dragondance

This says otherwise?

Also: I now have a Nihilego \o/ Timid + HP Ice. What's the best set for it to use? I'm thinking 252Spcl Att/252 Spe, but I got to round 14 with an awful back up (my ingame team Mudsdale/Primarina) and no EVs, so I can see it being incredibly good like others have said with the right support. Just need to sit down and grind out a few more for Destiny Knot/Power Items and I am good to go (the sooner Bank comes the better).

Started another playthrough on Moon, what natures should I be looking to have for the Moon exclusive UBs (Pheromosa/Celesteela) when I get there (to use in my Sun Games Battle Tree)? I've been hearing Naive/Rash for Pheromosa (Doesn't need a HP) and Celesteela can work with basically anything you want?
In my opinion, and whats working for me, Thunderbolt-Power Gem-SludgeBomb-DazzingGleam/HP Ice, covers a lot on mons and im using it with a Life orb, but i think Xpert Bell would work fine.

And for the UBs, it depends on what set you want to use. The "regular" smogon set on Phero uses Naive/Rash because includes Ice Beam with a psysical set, but if you use something like Quiver Dance then you need Timid. The same goes with Celesteela. The "common" set is Special Defense set, with Carefull nature or Defensive set with Relaxed (i think) nature. Look what your team needs more and decide.

Last edited:
oh ok, that makes more sense. Serebii is over here telling me its event only.
Just FYI, I can confirm that the German Pokéwiki lists Dragon Dance as an Egg Move for Salamence.

Uhhh... I'm pretty reluctant to try the Super Singles again. Has somebody figured out a somewhat safe team to reach the 50 streak?

Just FYI, I can confirm that the German Pokéwiki lists Dragon Dance as an Egg Move for Salamence.

Uhhh... I'm pretty reluctant to try the Super Singles again. Has somebody figured out a somewhat safe team to reach the 50 streak?
I had a pretty easy time with Dragonite, Aegislash and Tapu Fini.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant
Multiscale
52 HP / 252 Attack / 12 Def / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Adamant
252 HP / 252 At / 4 SpD
Move some EV around to get 79 speed. Although I'm convinced a Brave, 0 Speed IV would work as well.
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Modest
252 SpA / 252 / Spe / 4 Def
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam

Dragonite and Aegislash are great at PP stalling EQ and Stone Edge/Rock Slide which saved me many times. Roost was also great for setting up on some opponents I normally wouldn't have been able to on such as Mega Scizor. It can also relatively safely stall Stone Edge if you're faster by eliminating the Flying type, especially if you keep up Multiscale. Then you can set up or KO when it inevitably misses. Tapu Fini is a great switch in on any Dark type threatening Aegislash or Ice type for Dragonite. Status immunity is incredible.

Last edited:
Did you have the weather set to Sun by any chance? Currently, the Showdown calculator doesn't add "in the Sun/Rain/Terrain" messages to the KO chance lines, so you might've had it checked without noticing.
That was it, although its still a little different from the nugget bridge calc it makes much more sense now. Thanks for pointing out my dumb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)