Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Can someone suggest me a fourth member of my Doubles team?

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 SpA / 244 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Low Kick
- Lunge
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Psychium-Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
TimidNature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- HP Fire
- Protect

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Return
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

And some advice for my current set, if any.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, here's the team:

Silvally @ Wide Lens ***ChaosLemures
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 212 HP / 4 Atk / 44 Def / 196 SpA / 52 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Parting Shot

Before going any further, let me just say my Silvally's stats here are sub-optimal. I picked up a Quiet Silvally because I intended to create some sort of bulky Assault Vest set with it for VGC. Instead, I found myself using it here in the Battle Tree. Running Modest at the very least would be better. Running a Defense or Special Defense boosting nature like Calm or Bold and investing fully into defenses would also make a good recommendation. However, even with the stat set up being sub-optimal, it at least didn't stop my Silvally from executing what it needed to.

The general idea here is to Thunder Wave the opponent, then Parting Shot to weaken them for Salamence to set up a sweep, or for Aegislash to eliminate the active Pokemon while taking minimal damage. Thunderbolt was used specifically to hit Bisharp or Milotic as they are risky to use Parting Shot against. Toxic was originally for Raikou-3, but came in handy in a few other situations throughout the run, usually as a way to corner a mon trying to set up and stay healthy with Recover or Roost. Why I needed it for Raikou-3 was because the Raikou cannot be paralyzed, has Thunder Wave to debilitate my Salamence, and has both Calm Mind and Charge Beam allowing it to boost up and become out of control in the long run. But since it takes a good 10 or so Turns before it gets out of control, Toxic keeps the damage from the Raikou well contained.

Wide Lens is crucial for comfort for using this team. While there is still that 1% chance I can miss with Thunder Wave (which happened about 6 or 7 times in 450 games), it still makes Thunder Wave into a move I can rely on repeatedly, game after game.

Salamence @ Salamencite ***WickedFlight
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 196 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

While I haven't been following what has been used lately in Singles, it doesn't take much to know that Mega Salamence is completely busted. EVs in Atk to get a bonus stat point. EVs in Speed to hit 143, outspeeding neutral Base 90s. Everything else into HP and Special Defense bulk.

Parting Shot support can let Salamence drop down a sub and not have it immediately broken by the opponent's attacks. Once I'm able to do that, it is pretty easy to constantly maintain a Sub up while Roosting back HP and slowly building up Dragon Dances. Once the music stops and Salamence is done dancing, there is very little in the way to stop it from running over everything with Aerilate boosted Returns.

While it's usually safe and easy to max out to +6 DD, I found myself fine stopping at +4 before going on the offense. Against some trainers, who are less likely to have bulky Rock- or Steel-type Pokemon, I can get away with fewer dances. Against certain trainers who are more likely to have Flying-type resists I'll go for the full +6.

It's important to know not to immediately Mega Evolve Salamence and instead take advantage of switching to cycle Intimidates before finally committing to set up. This will be talked about a bit more later on.

Aegislash @ Leftovers ***BLADE BEAM
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 84 SpA / 156 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- King's Shield

12 Speed EVs to outspeed Tyranitar-4 by 1. 84 SpA for a bonus point of SpA, and the rest added into HP and SpDef.

Aegislash is pretty fun to use in Single Tree, and is a complete monster once it can get behind a Sub. After a Parting Shot to the opponent, Aegislash's Subs will often tank various STAB 90 power moves. And while it may take around 10 turns to do so, it can pretty much take out the opponent while having a Sub up, and still be at around 80~90% of its HP. While it does mean the opponent's active mon is no longer one that is debiliated by Thunder Wave or Parting Shot, being up 3v2 with my team being in good health, and with an active sub for Aegislash is often more than enough to maintain momentum for a win.

Using the Team:

To put simply:

The ability to switch around is very important for this team. Salamence has Intimidate, Silvally has Parting Shot, and Aegislash has an excellent set of resistances. Silvally's Ghost-type immunity, and Salamence's Ground-type immunity also creates a lot of situations for Aegislash to safely switch back out, allowing the team to cycle usage of Parting Shot and Intimidate. Ultimately, the ideal goal is to set up a situation where the opponent cannot break Salamence's Substitute, and then set up the Salamence sweep. But the team is a bit more flexible in not always needing to commit to trying to force the opportunity. Don't be afraid to just use Aegislash to safely knock out a Pokemon and create yourself a lead instead of putting in a great amount of resources to force an opportunity to set up Salamence.

Risk mitigation and patience are also traits needed for running the team. Since Silvally doesn't get sacrificed in this team in order to heavily debilitate the opponent, Salamence or Aegislash will often have to switch into an oncomming attack. If you aren't careful this can lead to some disastrous results like Mence getting OHKO'd by a critical hit through -5 Atk (hello Guzma @ Battle 450). Opponents are not locked into any moves, unlike TrickScarf strategies, so it is also imporant at times to keep track of how much PP they may have remaining in their moves in order to know when it is safe.

The team is far from foolproof as some of the teams of past days. While 449 is a pretty long streak, I had plenty of close calls throughout the run where I was barely able to scrape by, and would have lost if I was any less lucky.

Some Notable Threats:

Infiltrator

Naturally, if the opponent can just ignore my Substitutes it makes setting up a lot more difficult. Watch out for opponent Chandelures, Malamar and Noiverns.

Defiant / Competitive / Contrary

They can be Thunder Wave'd at least, but be wary of trying to use Parting shot against Pokemon such as Milotic, Bisharp, Braviary, Serperior, Lurantis or Malamar. Especially be careful about using King's Shield against Malamar and Lurantis.

Raikou-3

As mentioned earlier, it can't be Thunder Waved, it has Charge Beam and Calm Mind making Parting Shot somewhat useless, it has Thunder Wave and will use it to Paralyze Mence if I try to set up on it, and it has Shadow Ball for my Aegislash. This is why Toxic is on Silvally.

Taunt

All three of my Pokemon rely on non-damaging moves so Taunt can be pretty annoying. One thing to note, however, is that the AI is extremely trigger happy with using Taunt, so this can be exploited as you can play the battle slowly and eventually KO their active mon without taking too much damage in return.

Magnezone-4

It has Volt Switch, it has Assault Vest, it is 4x resistant to Return. I'll usually Parting Shot to Aegislash, then chip away and KO it with Aegislash. Pay attention to its damage output, as it may end up having Analytic, and will need 2 Parting Shots to allow Aegislash to wall Thunderbolts with Sub.

Thunder Wave / Toxic / Will-o-Wisp

Pay attention to opponents that have status moves. Salamence can sort of just tough it out if it gets Paralyzed or Burned due to the nerfs to those status, but it's still best to avoid dealing with those things. Getting Salamence hit by Toxic though is obviously a no-go. I often try to let Silvally get hit by status so that the opponents will not try to use a status move as I switch in Salamence, then set up Substitute. Watch out for Mega Banette as it has Prankster WoW.

Charizard-4, Gyarados-4

Dragon Dance mons that can do a real number to Aegislash if they can catch me without a Sub up. I had one game where Mega Gyarados just went really wild with using Dragon Dances, so these two can be pretty dangerous.

Mega Lopunny

Normally Aegislash would be my go-to choice to switch in against Fighting moves. Not so here. It's best to switch to Mence first, bait an Ice Punch and switch to Aegislash, and let Lopunny just KO itself by HJK into King's shields.

Soundproof / Clear Body

These will block Silvally from switching out through use of Parting Shot. Fortunately, most of these mons are also easily handled by Aegislash. As such, try not to use Parting Shot against Tentacruel, Carbink, Metagross, Kommo-o, Abomasnow (if no Snow Warning), Bouffalant or Electrode

Terrakion

There's one Terrakion set that has Swords Dance. So while it may seem like a good idea to switch immediately to Aegislash to avoid a Fighting-type move, it can quickly cause the match to get ugly if Terrakion starts setting up. As such, it's better to just go for the Thunder Wave with Silvally, even though it risks the chance that it will be OHKO'd by Terrakion-1's Close Combat. All the Terrakion sets have Earthquake, making it fairly easy to cycle switches between Aegislash and Salamence to Intimidate it down before setting up the Mence Sweep.

During my play through of the Tree, I tried to note some AI Tendencies, or at least what I can recall might be different than what it was in the past:

-The AI will usually switch out immediately if they have expended all usable attacking move PP, at least of moves that can hit your active pokemon. They'll also usually switch out if they've expended all PP of a move they are choice locked into. Often times, if they DON'T switch out despite not having any effective moves, it means that their other Pokemon are easily KOable by your active mon.

-I can't remember if this was the case before, but the AI recognizes when you have a Sub up. They will not waste time throwing status moves that will get blocked by Sub. Pain Split is a rare exception to this rule.

-if they can Mega Evolve their active mon, they will always do so immediately. Sucks for Wally when he decides it's a good idea to bring Mega Garchomp, Mega Gallade, AND Mega Altaria. lol

-AI seems to love activating weather and using Taunt. I feel they put high priority into using these moves above everything outside from using a move that can KO your active mon.

-having a stat at +6 won't stop the opponent from using a boosting move that boosts multiple stats. eg. They will still use Dragon Dance if they are at +6 Speed, but not +6 Atk. However, this doesn't seem to apply for the use of Curse as they stop using that once they hit -6 Speed.

-The AI still does not recognize Return as a 102 power move, and will instead use their other attacks over use of STAB Return

-The AI's selection of moves can become a bit strange in situations where they've run out of PP of their primary move to use against your active mon. eg. vs Raikou-4, if it has run out of Thunder vs Salamence, it doesn't always stick to using Discharge, and instead randomly throws Extrasensory at me even though it is less optimal. Another one would be Nidoqueen 3 actually being more likely to use Ice Beam instead of Flamethrower against my Aegislash after it runs out of Earth Power.

-Double Battle AI is a little bit smarter when it comes to dealing with a L1 mon. From what I could tell, the faster of their two active mons (or slower of the two when TR is active, or the one that has priority moves other than Fake Out) will be provoked towards going for a KO against the L1, but the other Pokemon will still choose moves as if it isn't on kill mode (unless it's able to KO your other Pokemon).

Other Notes:

-I didn't notice this but... the Battle Tree Pokemon do not have any Battle Resort or Battle Frontier Tutor moves anymore.

-When you are past 50, you predominantly face 2 different sets (set 3 or set 4) for non-legendaries, and 4 different sets for legendaries (though not all trainers will run all 4 sets), but there are a lot more trainers that will run both set 3 and 4 of a mon.

-the RNG on what decides what trainer you face does still seem a bit strange at times like it is in XY, where you can end up facing the same few trainers repeatedly, and never see some of the other trainers. eg. I still haven't seen Anabel to recruit her for Multi Tree =(

Reaching 500 first here is still up for grabs, hopefully this post helps for people planning their future runs at the Tree. I don't think I'll be trying another run at singles in the near future, but may try to find something good for doubles.

Good Luck.

Ok all of this is purely off memory and I want to get some thoughts. I'm not a regular or experienced player of battle tower and went into my streak blind not playing very carefully. Lost in battle 56 or 57 to swords dance/ Chesto rest Virizion lead.
Team:

Nihilego @ Life Orb Beast Boost
Timid 252 SpA/Speed 4 HP
Sludge wave
Power Gem
Hidden Power Ice
Grass Knot

Ohko a lot of stuff, saw something about this in the early parts of this thread. Before 50, I was using this to seeep rounds. The speed is nice as well.

Mudsdale @ Sitrus Berry Stamina
Adamant 252 Hp/Att 4 SpD
Earthquake
High Horsepower
Heavy Slam
Rock Slide

Dang bulky and hits hard. Decent at taking earthquakes and better at sending them back. The move set is from an assault vest VGC set. I haven't looked into improving it any. This is my biggest question mark in my mind but I'm not experienced in battle tower to know a replacement.

Celesteela @ Leftovers Beast Boost
Adamant ~228 HP, 44 Att, 116 Def/SpD 4 Speed
Heavy slam
Leech seed
Substitute
Protect

Sub seed with an EV spread I found for VGC so it is far from optimized. In my experience, it's effective, but slow. Beast boost increases attack on this one. I have another celesteela to catch too, though I'm primarily a VGC player.

Looking for suggestions for improvement and I'm willing to change anything. Even the whole team. Thanks!

Can someone suggest me a fourth member of my Doubles team?

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 SpA / 244 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Low Kick
- Lunge
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Psychium-Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
TimidNature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- HP Fire
- Protect

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Return
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

And some advice for my current set, if any.
I'm no expert in doubles, but the general line of advice is that you want a slower fourth mon as insurance for trick room. Celesteela is a good choice.
I personally favor Golisopod, especially with an assault vest equipped. Bulk is generally a good idea for your slower mon.

-----

All right, the streak I mentioned earlier consisting of Av Golisopod, rockium z garchomp, and mega Metagross came to a sad but satisfying conclusion at 104 wins.
I think I was honestly lucky to have got it that far. There were a LOT of close calls.
It was along the lines of a bulky offensive team that simply hit hard and didn't pp stall and those teams rarely break 100, so I wouldn't recommend it to people aiming for a serous streak.

This team revolved around Golisopod. I know he's weak to electric, rock and flying, so I brought Pokémon to counter those types. They filled these roles perfectly. I originally had Tapu Koko working with Golisopod but he was too frail to switch into even resisted hits.

The team was also heavily dependent on Mega Metagross's imperfect accuracy. I almost never missed somehow with zen headbutt and meteor mash. In another run, a miss might cost me the streak.

I cannot overemphasize the importance of rockium z in this streak. An insanely powerful rock move that never misses? Yes please! It saved me countless times.

My lead:
Golisopod
(Shiny)
Adamant
Assault Vest
Hyper trained
252 att 252 hp 4 spD
Leech Life
Liquidation
Aqua Jet
First Impression

Garchomp
Jolly
Rockium Z
Hyper Trained
252 att 252 spe
EQ
Stone Edge
Swords dance
Outrage

Metagross
Jolly
Metagrossite
Hyper Trained
252 att 252 spe
Eq
Zen Headbutt
Meteor Mash
Magnet Rise (believe me, this was a good choice! Although I needed bullet punch in the last battle)

For some reason I can't upload the losing video, so I'll just show the 100th:
YW2G-WWWW--WWW3-EZFG

I just lost battle 405 (can't be uploaded). I had Salamence at +2 and full health setting up against lead CB Slaking when I mistakenly clicked Dragon Dance instead of Sub (side note: gotta love all the attacks being bunched next to one another rather than in different corners of the screen like in every other Pokemon game since the DS was introduced). Giga Impact gets the needed crit and KOs. If I had accidentally clicked Return, the battle would've been a clean sweep from there.

Chansey got to +2 Evasion behind a Sub at full health behind a Sub before Slaking switched out, and this trainer (Punk Girl Zed) happened to have literally the only Pokemon set variant in the entire Battle Tree that Chansey and Aegislash couldn't have beaten in that situation (barring Toxic missing 3-4 times in a row against some less dangerous set-up sweeper) in Keen Eye Drapion. Immune to Toxic (thanks Pokebank!), has Swords Dance, doesn't miss, and has super-effective STAB on Aegislash.

This was a fitting 3rd loss for this team as it combined the crappy UI element from my first loss (somehow ended up accidentally forfeiting a battle around #80) and the Toxic-immune Swords Dancer a Seismic Toss Chansey could have handled from the second (Mega Mawile).

But, where one door closes another opens. Just messed around and got to 50 with Power Trip Smeargle. Absolutely no team support, I just led with it and had Salamence and Chansey to back it up if it didn't sweep, which only happened about 6 times. If Smeargle can use Spore on turn 1 and the opponent doesn't have a Sub bypassing move, you sweep. Even against Grass types and other possible Spore immunities, you can stall as long as you're you're faster and either take them out with Power Trip + Spiky Shield recoil or give a teammate a better set-up opportunity after draining the PP of move or two. The set I'm using is just Jolly with maxed Speed and Attack with Sub, Spiky Shield, Spore and Power Trip; I'm sure it would be even easier with the right crippling lead.

Last edited:
I just lost battle 405 (can't be uploaded). I had Salamence at +2 and full health setting up against lead CB Slaking when I mistakenly clicked Dragon Dance instead of Sub (side note: gotta love all the attacks being bunched next to one another rather than in different corners of the screen like in every other Pokemon game since the DS was introduced). Giga Impact gets the needed crit and KOs. If I had accidentally clicked Return, the battle would've been a clean sweep from there.

Chansey got to +2 Evasion behind a Sub at full health behind a Sub before Slaking switched out, and this trainer (Punk Girl Zed) happened to have literally the only Pokemon set variant in the entire Battle Tree that Chansey and Aegislash couldn't have beaten in that situation (barring Toxic missing 3-4 times in a row against some less dangerous set-up sweeper) in Keen Eye Drapion. Immune to Toxic (thanks Pokebank!), has Swords Dance, doesn't miss, and has super-effective STAB on Aegislash.

This was a fitting 3rd loss for this team as it combined the crappy UI element from my first loss (somehow ended up accidentally forfeiting a battle around #80) and the Toxic-immune Swords Dancer a Seismic Toss Chansey could have handled from the second (Mega Mawile).
The buttons are bunched together as a UI shift for use on a single screen instead of on two screens. :(

Been breeding Beldum since around yesterday morning and got the 5IV one i wanted while in the middle of watching Despicable me 2 on ITV1 this morning. LOL
Genderless Pokemon are the worst when it comes to breeding.
All this week iv'e been busy breeding a team for doubles in mind. but not just any doubles team. I have a rain dance team in mind ;)
Just beaten Blue at round 20 so I have super doubles unlocked. Ran into a few problems along the way, especially with Sleep inducers and somehow scraped back a comeback on battle 17. Well here's the team i'm using ATM.

Pelipper (Male): 7.8Out of 10.
Item: Waterium-Z.
Nature: Timid.
Ability: Drizzle.
IV's: 31/ **/ 31/ 31/ 31/ 31
EV's: 4 HP. 252 Sp. Atk. 252 Speed.
-Tailwind
-Wide Guard
-Hurricane
-Hydro Pump

Togedemaru (Male): Rolly Polly.
Item: Air Balloon.
Nature: Jolly.
Ability: Lightning Rod.
IV's: 31/ 31/ 31/ **/ 31/ 31
EV's: 4 Hp. 252 Atk. 252 Speed.
-Fake Out
-Spiky Shield
-Zing Zap
-Fell stinger

Gastrodon (Female): Shelly.
Item: Leftovers.
Nature: Relaxed.
Ability: Storm Drain.
IV's: 31/ 31/ 31/ 31/ 31/ **
EV's: 252 HP. 244 Def. 16 Sp. Def.
-Muddy Water
-Earthquake
-Toxic
-Recover

Metagross: (no nickname yet)
Item: Metagrossite.
Nature: Jolly.
Ability: Clear Body.
IV's: 31/ 31/ 31/ 30?/ 31/ 31 (The Sp. attack says Fantastic?)
EV's: 4HP. 252 Atk. 252 Speed.
-Bullet Punch
-Zen Headbutt
-Meteor Mash
-Hammer Arm

Pelipper is the corner stone of this team and where its at with this team. Set up tailwind and out speed everything in the battle tree that isn't a choice scarf Aerodactyl. Wide Guard is just for rock types like Aerodactyl that love to use or spam Rock Slide on me. It has also saved my Togedemaru from an opponent's earthquake after loosing it's air balloon. Hurricane is 100% acc in rain. Hydro Vortex Z-Move with Hydro pump is the strongest water type move in the game with a base power of 185, which hardly anything in the game survives.
Togedemaru provides Pelipper with Electric immunity, allowing it to set up. Air Balloon also provides a nice ground immunity as well. At least until it pops. Fake out can get me a free turn, however if the opponent is using a Weavile or Liepard, they still outspeed Togedemaru and will nearly always fake out Pelipper, meaning I get no turn 1 Tailwind. With this being the case, I will usually just use a different attack. Zing Zap provides a nice reliable Electric stab move with a nice chance of flinching. Wild Charge is an option but the recoil hurts. The last slot Fell Stinger provides an option to pick up focus sash or sturdy mon after being broken and the attack raise it awesome.
Gastrodon's Storm drain prevents an extra immunity to water types. But the move set is tricky. Earth Power isn't available until Pokebank, meaning i'm forced to use Earthquake as a reliable ground type move. While Pelipper is immune to Earthquake and Togedemaru can be too if Air Balloon is still intact. I'm often forced to use spiky shield if I need to use Earthquake. The move set is actually Smogon's recommended move set/ nature/ item set from standard X/Y singles. Except for Muddy Water which is great in doubles. (no effect on your team)
The final Pokemon slot was tricky. I wanted Scizor, but I don't have a second copy of sun or moon and my scizor is still stuck on ORAS. and even if i did have another copy of sun and moon, I won't be able to use the move Bug Bite, which is a move tutor move only. I tried Aeigislash for a bit but never got past round 10. With my success in Super Multi battles with Colress I decided to breed a Metagross. Its pretty much the same one as Metagross4 that Colress uses, except with Hammer Arm.
I consider the Metagross my Christmas day present to myself. I keep it in the back as my powerhouse last result. Mega Metagross is a pokemon that is not too be messed with.

Small issues i've run into so far is Gastrodon's storm drain ruining Pelipper's OHKO's with its Z move hydro Vortex. Even immunity abilities like storm drain and lightning rod prevent Z-moves. I should of remembered this from my Marowak and Colress' Porygon2 using Thunderbolt.
Having to double switch Pelipper if the opponent leads with a weather setter like Hippowdon, and Abomasnow. Not the worst thing in the world but annoying. Especially when I switch into Gastrodon and the opponent uses a grass type move targeted at the Pelipper only to hit Gastrodon instead.
Being left with only Togedemaru against a ground/ steel/ rock team. It has made me consider changing Fake Out or Fell Stinger for Grass Knot.
I have also considered using Nuzzle on Togedemaru. I can use it instead of Fake out against a lead Aerodactyl, and get a away with it it, using Pelipper's Wide Guard turn 1. This also goes back into the problems with Togedemaru being outsped by other fake out users. Nuzzle would be a better option against them, and allow me to outspeed them anyway next turn.

With this all said, wish me the best of luck in super doubles. If there is any suggestions about the team, or team options please tell me.
If I do beat 50 in super doubles, I would of beaten all 3 super formats that generation 7 has to offer. Just a little upset I never got to try rotation and triple battles.

Last edited:
just started playing multi battles after losing another streak/prospective team in the 80s (some day i'll reach 100; this was an idea with leech seed tapu-bulu@terrain extender bestowing ridiculous recovery unto aegi and mega-slowbro; unfortunately bulu is too slow and not always bulky enough to seed as reliably as the celebi i wish i had or could use in the tree), i figure that i can get through "normal mode" by spamming quake (sashchomp, mega-metagross) alongside decent support. the only usable partner i've scouted is cynthia with spiritomb and togekiss; sure, i'll take it.

now the interesting part: first turn sees bastiodon and haxorus sent out on the enemy side. my quake fails on both enemies due to bastiodon's wide guard, haxorus quakes for mediocre damage, spiritomb uses pain split (nice move). turn two: cynthia switches out spiritomb for togekiss.

was that due to haxorus' quake, or does the computer actually recognize when you're attempting to quakespam as their doubles partner, and switch to a levitator/flyer in concord? well, the same thing happens in the next battle, so... color me surprised, it does!
That was Haxorus's EQ.

There we go, got to 50 on Super Doubles at the battle tree! That's all 3 down, all I'm missing on my stamp is sadly that annoying stamp for the poke finder -_-;
The team I used was the following:

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Sp Atk / 4 Sp Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Ice

Tapu Koko @ Air Balloon
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Sp Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-Turn

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Sadly the 50th battle video can't be uploaded once again, but it was a surprisingly easy battle considering Blue led with a Mega Aerodactyl (which somehow both Xurkitree and Tapu Koko outsped) and Rhyperior (his Bloom Doom Exeggutor and Arcanine couldn't do much after Xurkitree got back in after killing off Rhyperior with an energy ball lol)

There was a surprising amount of synergy with this team considering I kinda made it on the fly. Only thing I changed beforehand was that I had an Alolan Raichu at Xurkitree's place. Sadly it just wasn't strong enough to KO certain things even though it outspeed pretty much everything lol, so I wanted to try out said Xurkitree. Even when faced with ground types, it's pretty easy to beat them with this team thanks to how much Volt-Turning synergy it has going for it. Usually when I can tell they'll use a ground move on one side, I can U- Turn with Tapu Koko as I swapped out Xurkitree on Salamence, and have Xurkitree on the other side of the field. I sometimes don't even need to switch Xurkitree out if I wanna kill something on the opposing team, as usually after U-Turning out with Tapu Koko, Xurkitree can survive earthquakes thanks to Salamence's Intimidate. Aegislash covers both Salamence and Tapu Koko's weaknesses in ice, rock, fairy, dragon and poison. Really the only thing this team had trouble against was, comically enough, opposing electric types that I couldn't hit with my own electric type moves (Jolteon, Electrivire, Manectric etc). Magnezone was annoying too as the only mon I had to kill it with was Aegislash, whom got 2 shot with its thunderbolts when the terrain was up.
One thing that was real odd I came across once was a Scarfed Manectric that
Scarfed itself into Overheat. Well it itself wasn't odd, what was odd was that, after it hit Tapu Koko with it, as I then U-turn out onto my Salamence, (Xurkitree was swapped for Aegislash) it kept using Overheat, and once it ran out of PP, it actually used struggle once before swapping out! I should've saved that battle ^^;; I actually lost it as it was a full electric team lol (freakin Manectric was insane, after that it later came back in and Switcheroo'd a Scarf onto my Aegislash, it was all over at that point ^^; )

Guess I'll try doing the Poke Radar thing every once in a while, the ammout for the stamp is dumb tho ^^;

Last edited:
But, where one door closes another opens. Just messed around and got to 50 with Power Trip Smeargle. Absolutely no team support, I just led with it and had Salamence and Chansey to back it up if it didn't sweep, which only happened about 6 times. If Smeargle can use Spore on turn 1 and the opponent doesn't have a Sub bypassing move, you sweep. Even against Grass types and other possible Spore immunities, you can stall as long as you're you're faster and either take them out with Power Trip + Spiky Shield recoil or give a teammate a better set-up opportunity after draining the PP of move or two. The set I'm using is just Jolly with maxed Speed and Attack with Sub, Spiky Shield, Spore and Power Trip; I'm sure it would be even easier with the right crippling lead.
You got my attention. I am currentlly using a Mega Slowbro and it is wrecking everything but I realized that it is mostly due to crit immunity and being able to setup.
Sub Moody Power Trip Smeargle sounds crazy; do you have suggestions for the other team mates?

Broke 50 in Super Doubles, I'm considering aiming higher, anyone any advice on this team?

Oranguru @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Def
Relaxed
Inner Focus
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Taunt
- Intruct

Hariyama @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def
Brave
Guts
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Close Combat

Marowak-A @ Thick Club
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Sp.Def
Brave
Lightning Rod
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

Drampa @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/ 4 Def
Quiet
Berserk
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Most battle end with Hariyama spamming CC with Instruct, or Hariyama spamming CC and ORanguru switching into something at the back which spams other stuff

well..what the f is wrong with battle tree hax...the hax is too ridiculous..even my AI partner want me to lose..
i play super multi battle with AI as my partner..
i am at lvl 49..2 enemy pokemons on sash 1hp..my partner choose to switch and get killed..

any one have good strategis/pokes for multi battle with AI??

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In addition, is Dragonite viable pre-bank without ExtremeSpeed? What's the popular moveset without ES?
While Extreme Speed is lovely in the Battle Spot and similar battles, I honestly prefer Fire Punch in the battle facilities, even where Extreme Speed is available. The coverage is lovely, extra priority is less important in the Maison / Tree, and it can be very convenient not having to lock into Outrage as often. Just remember that neutral Outrage still outdamages Super Effective Fire Punch, so run the damage calcs if you're unsure if Fire Punch can get the KO against a bulky Grass-type. Where you can sneak in a second Dragon Dance, Fire Punch becomes especially nice.

My preferred set is Adamant max Speed / Attack, Dragon Dance / Outrage / Earthquake / Fire Punch. If you're going to go with Roost, you'll probably want a somewhat bulkier spread.

Broke 50 in Super Doubles, I'm considering aiming higher, anyone any advice on this team?

Oranguru @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Def
Relaxed
Inner Focus
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Taunt
- Intruct

Hariyama @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def
Brave
Guts
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Close Combat

Marowak-A @ Thick Club
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Sp.Def
Brave
Lightning Rod
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

Drampa @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/ 4 Def
Quiet
Berserk
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Most battle end with Hariyama spamming CC with Instruct, or Hariyama spamming CC and ORanguru switching into something at the back which spams other stuff
Just a quick suggestion, as Burn Damage is nerfed to only 1/16th of your health, and that Guts cancels out the attack drop while still giving the boost, a Flame Orb would be a straight upgrade from Toxic Orb.

Other than that, you team looks pretty solid. Only other suggestions I would have would be maybe Mental Herb or Foul Play on Oranguru (Mental Herb prevents Taunt from ruining your moveset, Foul Play might do more damage to threats than uninvested Psychic, although you probably wouldn't use either much anyways.)

I remember someone mentioning the Truant durant idea that worked in previous generations. Considering benefits / problems for Singles:

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Truant
Level: 50
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 Def / 252 Spe (Not too sure on spread yet besides max speed)
Jolly Nature
- Entrainment
- Iron Head
- Superpower or X-Scissor
- Baton Pass, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Sandstorm

Problems:
[I'm using the data on the docs to consider]
1.) Speed
Outsped by Manectric-4 because Scarf (and has Overheat)
Outsped by Aerodactyl-1 because Scarf (can flinch me to death with Rock Slide)
2.) Magic Coat
Featured by Absol-2 (not a huge problem, doesn't have sash) and Porygon2-1 (Zap Cannon and Blizzard... hope it has Trace)
3.) Bright Powder
...I can definitely see a big issue here. Over 20 different sets are a problem.
4.) Prankster + Status Effects
Examples such as Thundurus-4 with Taunt and Whimsicott-4 with Swagger

Any advice / thoughts?

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
well, you can't outspeed Aerodactyl-1 because that's Jolly and Scarfed. But that's okay, since you will never run into it after 50.
Other issues you may have to consider are:
-Fake Out, as that buys them a turn to try to do something,
-Protect, I'm not sure if they'll Protect every other turn to avoid Entrainment, but stuff with Protect can definitely be a bother
-Explosion, it allows them to suicide their Truant Pokemon and bring in something else.

I remember someone mentioning the Truant durant idea that worked in previous generations. Considering benefits / problems for Singles:

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Truant
Level: 50
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 Def / 252 Spe (Not too sure on spread yet besides max speed)
Jolly Nature
- Entrainment
- Iron Head
- Superpower or X-Scissor
- Baton Pass, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Sandstorm

Problems:
[I'm using the data on the docs to consider]
1.) Speed
Outsped by Manectric-4 because Scarf (and has Overheat)
Outsped by Aerodactyl-1 because Scarf (can flinch me to death with Rock Slide)
2.) Magic Coat
Featured by Absol-2 (not a huge problem, doesn't have sash) and Porygon2-1 (Zap Cannon and Blizzard... hope it has Trace)
3.) Bright Powder
...I can definitely see a big issue here. Over 20 different sets are a problem.
4.) Prankster + Status Effects
Examples such as Thundurus-4 with Taunt and Whimsicott-4 with Swagger

Any advice / thoughts?
You can't use Entrainment on Wishiwashi or a Mimikyu with its disguise up. The worst Protect users will be Moody Glalie3 (ironically the best answer to it is a Glalie of your own) and Dugtrio2 (will likely need Substitute on Durant because of it). Most Evasion and Protect users don't do a lot of damage and can be walled or PP stalled by switching in something defensive.

I understand Brave Aegislash for competitive, but are you sure that's what you want for Battle Tree?
Aegislash going last is usually preferable since it means you stay in Shield Form longer. Plus, two of its common moves (Shadow Sneak and King's Shield) don't really care about Aegislash's speed state anyway. Unless you're talking about it being dubious because of some Tree-specific threat?

Hello!

I've used these forums for awhile now, but only just joined recently to both the discussions and the competitive battle scene.

I figured my first post would be a helpful team for singles that I've found works fairly strong, if a tad slow at netting BP. I'll link pages I've used for them through the mon's names.

(Credit to Aubisio's WIP page for this mon)

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic

This is my lead who can safely check against most mons, and retreat to the appropriate teammate if facing an disadvantageous pairing, all the while healing should I be able to use Toxic before the withdrawal.

(Credit to TURBODERP's WIP page for providing a framework for my mon)

Muk-Alolan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Atk / 92 Def / 64 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant/Brave Nature
- Poison Jab
- Crunch
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Blast

Instead of utilizing Knock Off, etc. (I caught mine wild and raised it through the story before I could Pelago Train it), I stuck with Crunch to utilize his already high attack and possible Defense drop to fend off Psychics my Toxapex and Bewear can't handle. It is literally meant solely for walling SpA foes and try to drop them off ASAP. Poison Jab is meant to give me a bit more coverage on the Poison end (Gunk Shot isn't always the most reliable) and Fire Blast is for Steel type foes. This setup is more due to my carelessness in raising my A-Muk, but it has been solid in my chain thus far. I would definitely study up on TURBODERP's breakdown if you want the best movesets (Shadow Sneak, Knock Off, etc.) to cover more bases and provide a bigger thorn in the side of your Battle Tree opponents.

(Credit to boxofkangaroos' page for providing a framework for my mon)

Bewear @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Thrash
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Hammer Arm and Thrash for STAB, Ice and Thunder Punches to drop unorthodox threats the other two may not handle as well. I went Atk instead of Def or SpD to utilize his Fluffy and Rocky Helmet against physical threats with his large health pool, while dropping as many powerful punches he can against foes.

Hope I could help out someone just as new to this as I am!

Hello!

I've used these forums for awhile now, but only just joined recently to both the discussions and the competitive battle scene.

I figured my first post would be a helpful team for singles that I've found works fairly strong, if a tad slow at netting BP. I'll link pages I've used for them through the mon's names.

(Credit to Aubisio's WIP page for this mon)

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic

This is my lead who can safely check against most mons, and retreat to the appropriate teammate if facing an disadvantageous pairing, all the while healing should I be able to use Toxic before the withdrawal.

(Credit to TURBODERP's WIP page for providing a framework for my mon)

Muk-Alolan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Atk / 92 Def / 64 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant/Brave Nature
- Poison Jab
- Crunch
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Blast

Instead of utilizing Knock Off, etc. (I caught mine wild and raised it through the story before I could Pelago Train it), I stuck with Crunch to utilize his already high attack and possible Defense drop to fend off Psychics my Toxapex and Bewear can't handle. It is literally meant solely for walling SpA foes and try to drop them off ASAP. Poison Jab is meant to give me a bit more coverage on the Poison end (Gunk Shot isn't always the most reliable) and Fire Blast is for Steel type foes. This setup is more due to my carelessness in raising my A-Muk, but it has been solid in my chain thus far. I would definitely study up on TURBODERP's breakdown if you want the best movesets (Shadow Sneak, Knock Off, etc.) to cover more bases and provide a bigger thorn in the side of your Battle Tree opponents.

(Credit to boxofkangaroos' page for providing a framework for my mon)

Bewear @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Thrash
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Hammer Arm and Thrash for STAB, Ice and Thunder Punches to drop unorthodox threats the other two may not handle as well. I went Atk instead of Def or SpD to utilize his Fluffy and Rocky Helmet against physical threats with his large health pool, while dropping as many powerful punches he can against foes.

Hope I could help out someone just as new to this as I am!
I think the A-Muk centerpoint is a really unique build but I'm worried that your team is slow (base 65+ speed poses a problem), lacks a reliable ground immunity (EQ isn't a contact move either) and opposing Poison types are hard to play against. Personally, I would lead with with something that's not Toxapex to avoid the ground-move danger on turn 1 but that's just preference. Two mons I think that could replace Bewear are Mega-Slowbro (insurance against crits and your 'setup wincon') but if you prefer not to have two water types, maybe something like offensive Mega Salamence could add reliable speed and setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)