Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

Playing Yellow; why is it that when I use Double Kick against Pidgey it says 'Not very effective', despite the fact it's Normal type in addition to Flying meaning it should be neutral?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Playing Yellow; why is it that when I use Double Kick against Pidgey it says 'Not very effective', despite the fact it's Normal type in addition to Flying meaning it should be neutral?
It is neutral. But as far as I know, in RBY, if the attacks are NVE against one of the types of a dual-typed Pokémon, the NVE message will trigger, despite the second type bringing the hit back to neutral.

It IS neutral.

Thing is, the Gen I games have a rather weird way to display typing effectiveness messages. It's so weird, it's better to leave it at "considers one type at a time, not both".

EDIT: Codra beat me to it.

breh

強いだね
idk how simple this is, but does anybody have a list of the sets used in the battle hall in platinum / hgss? they seem to be outside of the normal sets (for example, those in the battle factory). I'm actually kind of livid since I just lost 127 goddamn battles in because a dusclops lived my garchomp's outrage and quick clawed into two ice punches. I can't find this set anywhere, and there's other weird stuff I've seen (iirc, something like endsalac feraligatr, endsalac gallade, and probably other weird stuff).

e: evidently I didn't google hard enough; thanks!

Last edited:
idk how simple this is, but does anybody have a list of the sets used in the battle hall in platinum / hgss? they seem to be outside of the normal sets (for example, those in the battle factory). I'm actually kind of livid since I just lost 127 goddamn battles in because a dusclops lived my garchomp's outrage and quick clawed into two ice punches. I can't find this set anywhere, and there's other weird stuff I've seen (iirc, something like endsalac feraligatr, endsalac gallade, and probably other weird stuff).
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...attle-tower-records.52858/page-2#post-1850704

I just read this. Can someone please explain a little more clearly how I can use BuzzNav to get my desired Mirage Spot (which in this case is a Mirage Cave with Excadrill) to appear? I've never used BuzzNav before and I thought Mirage Spots could only be shared with StreetPass.

I just read this. Can someone please explain a little more clearly how I can use BuzzNav to get my desired Mirage Spot (which in this case is a Mirage Cave with Excadrill) to appear? I've never used BuzzNav before and I thought Mirage Spots could only be shared with StreetPass.
To pull it off you need to disable auto-saving on connect in the options (can't remember which one exactly).

Having done so, these are the steps:
1) Connect to the internet
2) Update the BuzzNav news
3) Soar to the skies
4) If you don't get the Mirage Spots you want, (soft-)reset and do the previous steps again.

The catch here is that, as long as you don't save the game, you can roll Mirage Spots as much as you want.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any solutions to fixing a GPS tracking issue on Pokemon Go? Mine just lost signal one day, and nothing I've done has fixed it (even deleting and re-downloading the app).

Oddly my map's GPS works fine so I don't think it's my phone's fault.

Does anybody have any solutions to fixing a GPS tracking issue on Pokemon Go? Mine just lost signal one day, and nothing I've done has fixed it (even deleting and re-downloading the app).

Oddly my map's GPS works fine so I don't think it's my phone's fault.
I occasionally get something similar. I've found that making sure there are no other apps running in the background can help, which points to a RAM issue.

I'm trying to get to Mirage Island in Ruby. I saw the information here, and since my Ruby has a playtime of 999:59 (and afterwards, the battery died), I RNG'd a Pokémon with a PID of 32AF0000 to unlock it. However, the man does not see Mirage Island with it in my party. What's wrong?

I'm hoping this is the right place to post this, but if I'm wrong please direct me to the correct thread.

I'm looking into using the Rage Glitch in Gen IV (and by extension Gen III to get Mimic) to get some powerful Pokémon to handle the Battle Frontier (aside from the Factory) with. I've seen Sheer Cold Machamp before, but the problem with it is that it's a coin toss as to whether the Ability will be No Guard or not (and if it's not then I wasted a Mimic tutor). Does anyone have any other suggestions for Rage Glitch candidates?

I'm hoping this is the right place to post this, but if I'm wrong please direct me to the correct thread.

I'm looking into using the Rage Glitch in Gen IV (and by extension Gen III to get Mimic) to get some powerful Pokémon to handle the Battle Frontier (aside from the Factory) with. I've seen Sheer Cold Machamp before, but the problem with it is that it's a coin toss as to whether the Ability will be No Guard or not (and if it's not then I wasted a Mimic tutor). Does anyone have any other suggestions for Rage Glitch candidates?
You don't need to rely on a coin flip to get no guard. Assuming you have access to Emerald you can breed multiple Machops, nickname them to be able to distinguish them and clone them with the Battle Tower glitch. Then you can transfer a copy of each one and see who get No Guard upon evolving, and teach Mimic to the corresponding Machop in Emerald.

Another candidate for the Rage glitch could be a timid Slaking, with a moveset of skill swap / dragon dance / protect / baton pass.

I'm playing through heart gold right now and caught a scyther in the bug catching contest but it has swarm instead of technician. I know Technician Scyther is supposed to be really good but is swarm still worth using?

I'm playing through heart gold right now and caught a scyther in the bug catching contest but it has swarm instead of technician. I know Technician Scyther is supposed to be really good but is swarm still worth using?
Catching a technician Scyther should be easier than using a swarm Scyther, so I think it's worth it.

technician is useful because it let's you ignore speed, and spam Bullet Punch (which has +1 priority) with a significant power boost. Swarm only gives you a situational power boost to bug moves, which aren't even that useful. In fact, Technician still boosts Bug Bite, so there's even fewer reasons to use Swarm.

I'm trying to get to Mirage Island in Ruby. I saw the information here, and since my Ruby has a playtime of 999:59 (and afterwards, the battery died), I RNG'd a Pokémon with a PID of 32AF0000 to unlock it. However, the man does not see Mirage Island with it in my party. What's wrong?
The game doesn't change the presence/absence of Mirage Island when its battery is dead.
technician is useful because it let's you ignore speed, and spam Bullet Punch (which has +1 priority) with a significant power boost. Swarm only gives you a situational power boost to bug moves, which aren't even that useful. In fact, Technician still boosts Bug Bite, so there's even fewer reasons to use Swarm.
I think many people don't trade during playthroughs, so bullet punch would be irrelevant in this context. However, technician wing attack is very useful.

I'm currently EV training in Emerald and had a question about it (using the Ditto method). If I lead with the Pokémon I am EV training against a Ditto and then proceed to KO the Ditto after it transforms into a Pokémon that gives the EVs I want (without switching the Pokémon I want to EV train back in after the transformation), will the Pokémon I am EV training get EVs based on Ditto itself or the Pokémon Ditto transformed into?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)