Media Anime and Manga Thread MK3 - Beware Spoilers

Maybe just watch the first, might be worth it.
LMAO yeah I think I will, I might as well see what all the fuss is about. But to have an entire season memed to death.. y i k e s. I honestly just heard today that the first season was the bad one and s2 really picks up and makes it better. Maybe ill give s2 the good ol’ 3 episode trial.

I honestly just heard today that the first season was the bad one and s2 really picks up and makes it better. Maybe ill give s2 the good ol’ 3 episode trial.
s1 was at least tolerable while s2 was a steaming trash heap, and tokyo ghoul: re is just rushed from what i hear

Epikhairz

Anything goes
steinsgate 0 so god damn slow and feels so disconnected with nothing really happening, getting close to dropping it but my love for the original steins gate is keeping me going

Martin, I think what you said about TTGL is pretty spot on. It is one of my favorite anime of all time, however there are parts that are lacking.
Then again, most of my love for it is nostalgia based.
... and kamina based. LMAO

steinsgate 0 so god damn slow and feels so disconnected with nothing really happening, getting close to dropping it but my love for the original steins gate is keeping me going
yeah man, all we can do is hope for the best and give it the benefit of the doubt for now. It’s still sorrrta early on.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Well this season looks pretty terrible from what I've checked out so far.

Overlord III starts off with some bad SOL episode focused on how thirsty Albedo is, which was always one of the worst and most awkward parts of Overlord. I'll stick through it for the more than occasional moments in the show that are 8 or 9/10s and make you wish the whole show were that way.

Grand Blue is fucking awful. It's like a frat bro's Gintama. I'm so sad.

The new isekai demon lord thing is like shamelessly bad; it doesn't even begin to pretend that it's good. At least this show is honest about what it's gonna be and people might find enjoyment out of that, although I certainly didn't.

Harukana Receive looking like a decent, fun little sports anime. With some ecchi. Hopefully not too much ecchi.

Hanebado please save this season.

Da Letter El

Fuck whatever else is in this season hataraku saibou and banana fish will save anime
these are the only two shows I haven't seen yet that I'm still particularly inclined to watch. And I'll eventually get to watching Planet With because RODAN seems big on it.

I'm sure I'll end up tacking on a few more, though.

Da Letter El

Hey all, I'm 15/24 on Franxx and wanna catch up, which episodes should I skip?
The ending uh, comes out of left field a good bit. 16 is the only episode between 16-24 that's easily skippable, with 17 and the first uh...half? of 18 being possibly skippable, but you miss out on a subplot that sort of matters. The rest is not skippable. But like if you want to watch the show and get caught up, you probably should watch the whole thing.

Or be me and get stuck after episode 21 because it becomes crystal clear that the ending is gonna be crazy for most of the wrong reasons.

So first episode of hataraku saibou, is dealing with an individual bactera, episode two is a dermal scrape, at this rate of escalation they better catch AIDS the last episode

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Seriously, Hataraku Saibou is so good!
It's probably the most popular anime in the East right now!
What's wrong with you people?

It's definitely not the lame educational cartoons we used to have.
It's NOT a kid's show.
It covers beyond highschool biology.

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
So. Recently, I wanted to start the Fate/*insert something* serie. Unfortunately, I don't really know where to start, as the show/this universe seems to be separated in parts or seasons (or even films, if I understood correctly). Even the little research I have done didn't really help me anyway. My guess is that I should start with Fate/Zero, but I'm still not sure. Can anyone help me with that?

Cresselia~~

So. Recently, I wanted to start the Fate/*insert something* serie. Unfortunately, I don't really know where to start, as the show/this universe seems to be separated in parts or seasons (or even films, if I understood correctly). Even the little research I have done didn't really help me anyway. My guess is that I should start with Fate/Zero, but I'm still not sure. Can anyone help me with that?
Fate Zero is more complex than Fate Stay Night.
I'd say Fate Stay Night is a good start.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is a fight every time it comes up but the only correct answer is to play the visual novel, Fate/Stay Night. Both the game and an english patch can be found in multiple places online. After that, watch Fate/Zero.

You can watch Unlimited Blade Works, followed by the Heaven's Feel movies, followed by Fate/Zero. Fate/Zero is a prequel that spoils the other shows. But 1, you're missing the first third of F/SN. 2, Unlimited Blade Works isn't quite as good an adaptation as Fate/Zero or the Heaven's Feel movies (at least the only one out yet). And 3, you'll be waiting for two more Heaven's Feel movies to come out and get translated before you can watch Fate/Zero (and while FSN is a long novel, it's not a three year wait long).

Fate Apocrypha and Prisma Illya suck dicks.

Fate/Extra doesn't suck but I really could not recommend it to someone who hasn't played Fate/Extra on the PSP, which is another can of worms and you might as well see if you like Fate before you worry about that.

Oath Under Snow is an awesome movie even though it's technically a Prisma Illya prequel, but again, I'd get deep into Fate first before giving it a shot.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

This is a fight every time it comes up but the only correct answer is to play the visual novel, Fate/Stay Night. Both the game and an english patch can be found in multiple places online. After that, watch Fate/Zero.

You can watch Unlimited Blade Works, followed by the Heaven's Feel movies, followed by Fate/Zero. Fate/Zero is a prequel that spoils the other shows. But 1, you're missing the first third of F/SN. 2, Unlimited Blade Works isn't quite as good an adaptation as Fate/Zero or the Heaven's Feel movies (at least the only one out yet). And 3, you'll be waiting for two more Heaven's Feel movies to come out and get translated before you can watch Fate/Zero (and while FSN is a long novel, it's not a three year wait long).

Fate Apocrypha and Prisma Illya suck dicks.

Fate/Extra doesn't suck but I really could not recommend it to someone who hasn't played Fate/Extra on the PSP, which is another can of worms and you might as well see if you like Fate before you worry about that.

Oath Under Snow is an awesome movie even though it's technically a Prisma Illya prequel, but again, I'd get deep into Fate first before giving it a shot.
I like Prisma Illya more than Fate Stay Night. :0)
But I actually know that the former isn't popular.

Reading the VN over watching the UBW anime (and probably the Heaven's Feel movies) is definitely the better way to get the full story, but the anime is an enough substitute if you don't want to commit to the VN which is understandable because it's looooooooooong and the first 3rd is pretty dull.

Fate/Stay Night first versus Fate Zero first is another question that I'm not sure has a right answer. They both spoil parts of each other. Fate Zero gets spoiled more since it's a prequel, but you could argue that it's written with that in mind. I know a couple people who have started with Zero and enjoyed the series though, I don't think it's a huge deal either way.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
since it's a prequel, but you could argue that it's written with that in mind.
Ya think?

It's like having to keep saying that 2 + 2 = 4. I don't know what people don't get about the concept of a prequel. I shouldn't have to say any more.

But if you actually thought about it at all, you'd realize that reading F/SN before F/Z doesn't spoil F/Z at all. Fate/Zero doesn't have plot twists. Fate/Stay Night is a story full of mystery boxes and hidden identities, and a large portion of the plot and themes revolve around how the reader's perspective on the situation changes as it plays out in different ways. Fate/Zero is actually a rather simple character ensemble story where you understand almost everything you need to know about all but one actor within the first episode. And that one hidden character isn't spoiled because he isn't mentioned in F/SN. The fates of almost all characters are not mentioned in F/SN. Some major events are alluded to in F/SN, but not in ways that really give you clarity as to how they play out in F/Z. In fact, F/SN really only spoils one thing:
Kotomine ending up with Archer

And that's an event that is pretty obvious in advance even in Fate/Zero.

tl;dr Only one of these stories is a hidden info story, so why the hell wouldn't you read that one first?

Furthermore, the flipside to watching the prequel first is that actually spoils the prequel. Because Fate/Zero might not have as complex characters (no, it doesn't, except for two that already existed in F/SN) or plot, and barely tries to carry the themes of F/SN, but what's worth applauding it for in its own right is that it's the best damn prequel that ever existed. It sets the bar for prequels like Resident Evil sets the bar for remakes. Before Fate/Zero, it was a common opinion that a prequel couldn't be good because it would cover old ground, easily retcon things, while also having no tension because you know what will happen. Fate/Zero was written by a guy who loves F/SN every bit that I do, and had such a detailed knowledge of the source material (one of the world's longest novels) to avoid any retcons and make a sequence of events that is both very sensible in accordance with the original material, but also exciting in seeing how it plays out. When I watched F/Z, I fell in love with how amazingly it accomplished this. And the best characters of F/Z build off of their characterization in F/SN. If someone watches it with no prior knowledge of Fate, what are they getting out of it? A show with a few cool moments? None of this stuff is designed to work optimally in a vacuum.

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Breaking news: Movie (anime) adaptations of books (visual novels) cut details for the sake of brevity. :jynx:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Oh okay, you must've wanted him to read the VN for other reasons then.

I guess when you said Extra was "another can of worms" you were speaking literally.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Oh okay, you must've wanted him to read the VN for other reasons then.
Because it's good? Or because of what I literally said, that 5/9 of it isn't available in a passable animated form yet? Why make shit up when I gave other reasons?

I guess when you said Extra was "another can of worms" you were speaking literally.
Because it's a sequel to a PSP game that nobody played and nobody owns those. Probably why its the lowest rated Fate show. Why would I suggest that someone with no experience with Fate track down a PSP to play the original? If you want to make smart remarks, maybe have some idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
If you can't recognize an obvious worms jab, I'm not sure I can believe your self-proclaimed status as a Fate fanatic. :facepalm:

I think he just needed a basic explanation of where the different media fall within the timeline of the franchise or whatever.

Fate/Stay Night is the obvious starting point, because it kickstarted the series so of course it's going to explain basic concepts and mechanics of the universe that permeate the rest of the franchise. Even if you'd recommend against it in favor of playing the visual novel, though, this is the Anime Thread. At least mention the original DEEN anime adaptation. Not that I wouldn't welcome more VN fans around here... Although the ol' vonMeanler is correct in saying that lord only knows how long before the third Heaven's Feel movie (the third and final route of the VN) gets released and translated. So if you want the whole actual story that spans the original F/SN VN, you'll need to play it.

(In case anyone needed it explicitly spelled out, the original Fate/Stay Night VN consists of three routes: Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, Heaven's Feel. The 2006 DEEN anime mostly only covers the first route, both the UBW movie and TV series adapt the second route, and the ongoing Heaven's Feel movie trilogy is adapting the third route.)

The only other good places to begin, as far as understanding the basic tenets of the Fate universe, is the UBW TV series by ufotable (consensus much better than the UBW Deen movie) or Fate/Zero. For obvious reasons, as UBW is a continuation of the Fate route in the original VN and Zero is a prequel written with the original in mind, that makes the original F/SN the best place to start. But if you can't be assed to deal with the VN (which is very long and requires some digging around the Web) and are dodgy on watching the original DEEN show because of the shittalk about it, the UBW TV series is the next best place to start.

Most other stuff in the Fate franchise is loosely related and the only important link between most of it is the general fantasy setting and mechanics of the fictional universe. They might be alternate universes, in the distant past/future from the original (which details the 5th Holy Grail War), "what-if" scenarios that aren't canon, etc. Grand Order exists to drain your wallet in the pursuit of gacha waifus.
  • Zero is a direct prequel to Stay Night, detailing the 4th War, and is pretty well-received.
  • The parallel universe of Extra is the only one, other than the original, with much in the way of continuity: Extra -> Extra CCC -> Extella -> Extella Link. The first two are PSP games, the latter two Vita/PS4 games. Extella also has a Switch port. Only Extra and Extella have official English releases, though Link is brand new so it shouldn't be written off for localization yet. Spawned the best Fate characters, UMU and MIKON. The recent anime for Extra seems to be widely regarded as hot garbage. (Then again, the game isn't great either.)
  • Watch Kaleid Liner Prisma☆Illya (the star is very important, you see) if you're a depraved lolicon.
  • Carnival Phantasm is a gag show with Nasuverse (Fate + Tsukihime) characters that is supposed to be pretty funny.
Someone feel free to correct me, I'm just a sideline fan.

Last edited:
I watched Sankarea today, it's a 12 episode show from 2012 about a guy who really likes zombie girls. The animation is great, so is the script and I had a good time with the dub. It gets really good mileage out of its concept taking it to all sorts of places that surprised me: a lot of drama revolves about what it means to live life to its fullest, and, uh, how that might be hard for a zombie girl. It's nothing groundbreaking, just really solid. Go watch it if you have the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)