Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While Alolan mons are in the game, wasnt it stated that you can only get them via GO transfer (or did I dream that?)
Sorta. Masuda recently said that you can't catch them normally like wild Pokemon, BUT you don't need Pokemon Go to catch them. He hinted that there's another way that involves a "familiar feature" fans know about already.

Who knows what the hell that means lol. Maybe it has bank support or there's Pokeradar???

One of the interviews did mention something on the lines of "wanting PLGO compatible with other titles"...

Could be Pokebank? Or... a pseudo-ultraspace? No clue really, we'll probably know more in the future....

One of the interviews did mention something on the lines of "wanting PLGO compatible with other titles"...

Could be Pokebank? Or... a pseudo-ultraspace? No clue really, we'll probably know more in the future....
Pokebank, I'd guess.

I mean, Sun and Moon were already prepared for Pokemon transferred from GO as there was a symbol for it. They've been trying to find a way to transfer them to the main series games since before GO was released. And it seems they are going to try with Let's Go.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh yeah forgot to mention: a new gameplay video was shown of Let's Go today

Something I noticed about Pikachu's HP stat is that it required a lot of investment to reach those numbers even with an HP IV of 31 on it.

At level 7 it needs 52 EVs to reach 25 HP

At level 11 it needs 72 EVs to reach 34 HP

That's a LOT of EVs to have that early in a Pokemon game, so it just lends more credence to starterchu being a new forme imo :P

Not much else crazy is shown beyond some new parts of the opening of the game. Seeing Pikachu sniff your hand is pretty adorable tbh!

Something I noticed about Pikachu's HP stat is that it required a lot of investment to reach those numbers even with an HP IV of 31 on it.

At level 7 it needs 52 EVs to reach 25 HP

At level 11 it needs 72 EVs to reach 34 HP

That's a LOT of EVs to have that early in a Pokemon game, so it just lends more credence to starterchu being a new forme imo :P
They had already said there were going to be candies that boost stats. It could perfectly be the case.

Theorymon

They had already said there were going to be candies that boost stats. It could perfectly be the case.
Certainly possible, but afaik you get those from wild Pokemon transfers, seems like a lot of transfers to do that early in the game. We also still don't know if they boost EVs or IVs yet!

(TBH tho the impossible stat spreads we saw in the E3 demo seemed like far bigger evidence to me, its just something I noticed!)

Oh also, Pikachu OHKOed Eevee with Thundershock while only being one level higher than it, and also 2HKOed Geodude with Double Kick. I might do calcs for that later if no one else does once I get home!

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'd be fine with no held items if only because it means we get a modern meta where Chansey can't facetank everything with Eviolite.

I wouldn't be surprised if the starter Eevee and Pikachu are special much more powerful versions of the actual Pokemon, maybe with higher BST and stronger moveset.

Since we know they cannot evolve, a player realistically would have no reason to keep trashmons like those in team other than novelty otherwise if they had their standard base stats.

There were already cases of untransferable unique Pikachus (cough cough ORAS) so I don't think it's a bad assumption to make.

I wouldn't be surprised if the starter Eevee and Pikachu are special much more powerful versions of the actual Pokemon, maybe with higher BST and stronger moveset.

Since we know they cannot evolve, a player realistically would have no reason to keep trashmons like those in team other than novelty otherwise if they had their standard base stats.

There were already cases of untransferable unique Pikachus (cough cough ORAS) so I don't think it's a bad assumption to make.
Let’s not forget Spiky Eared Pichu and Totem Pokemon too.

Certainly possible, but afaik you get those from wild Pokemon transfers, seems like a lot of transfers to do that early in the game. We also still don't know if they boost EVs or IVs yet!

(TBH tho the impossible stat spreads we saw in the E3 demo seemed like far bigger evidence to me, its just something I noticed!)

Oh also, Pikachu OHKOed Eevee with Thundershock while only being one level higher than it, and also 2HKOed Geodude with Double Kick. I might do calcs for that later if no one else does once I get home!
What's weird is that he caught a second, theoretically normal Pikachu in Viridian Forest, but it also seems to have a very inflated HP stat. 23 at Level 6 requires a minimum of 64 EVs to get, whereas nothing else in his party has anything outlandish like that (the only one that even needs EVs to reach its shown HP is a Level 9 Pidgey with 29 HP, and it needs very few to reach that - perfectly believable to get from the few Pokemon caught).

Also, the bolded, uh, didn't happen?

Theorymon

What's weird is that he caught a second, theoretically normal Pikachu in Viridian Forest, but it also seems to have a very inflated HP stat. 23 at Level 6 requires a minimum of 64 EVs to get, whereas nothing else in his party has anything outlandish like that (the only one that even needs EVs to reach its shown HP is a Level 9 Pidgey with 29 HP, and it needs very few to reach that - perfectly believable to get from the few Pokemon caught).

Also, the bolded, uh, didn't happen?
Oh yeah I'm and idiot and didn't notice the video cut to Eevee in the red rofl

Weird though that the wild Pikachu has an inflated HP stat too. In the E3 demo they seemed to have normal Pikachu stats. Maybe they just straight up changed Pikachu and Eevee's stats? Or you can catch multiple "starterchus" to trade them, idk

What interesting thing about that video is that they showed is the modeling software and them modeling Eevee and Pikachu. Is the software Maya? Can someone confirm that?

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How were those found if they're unlisted?
They've been posted on Twitter (including the serebii twitter) and other forums around the internet prior to my post. Yes, an unlisted video can still be found. For whatever reason. Most likely creator gave link to people and they spread the links to the point that it's out there.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh yeah forgot to mention: a new gameplay video was shown of Let's Go today
Some things I noticed:

1. Eevee in a bucket. Besides the adorable-ness, when would this animation play? Is having Eevee wearing a bucket a costume choice? I kind of doubt it, making me wonder if there aren't going to be locations where you can see special animations with the Starter. They did something similar in Detective Pikachu.

2. Ah, so you encounter your Starter when you meet Professor Oak like in the original Yellow. Hopefully this will make soft resetting for the gender of Pikachu/Eevee you want easier.

3. That's interesting, instead of the grumpy/drunk old man, it's Jessie & James blocking the entrance to Route 2 from Viridian City. Or at the very least they are after getting Oak's Parcel.

4. And they move the Rival Battle from right after getting your Starter to after delivering Oak's Parcel, also increasing the Rival's Starter to Level 6. Also confirmed the Rival does get the opposite version Starter. While an alright change... I can't help but question if this change was done so to give the player an opportunity to level up their Starter as well as catch a whole team of Pokemon before facing the Rival and their ONE Level 6 Starter. This is pretty much a battle you'll have to work to lose now, unlike in the original where it's possible for you to lose but its scripted so even if you do the story continues. So will it do the same if you lose here or, since you now shouldn't lose, will the player white out thus meaning you have you beat the Rival thus meaning canonically the player never loses a battle with their Rival.

5. Looks like the Pokemon Refresh feature is only for the Starters because your Pikachu and Eevee are the stars here, all your other Pokemon is fodder. Might as well send all Pokemon you catch to Professor Oak to process into candies so you can buff up Pikachu and Eevee asap (if you can't tell I'm being sarcastic; I'm disappointed by this as it feels like they're saying only the Starter matters and won't even let you bond with your other Pokemon. They could have easily recycled the Pokemon Refresh animations from Gen VII while also giving Pikachu and Eevee unique ones).

6. It looks like they got the Pokemon scaling right now that they're on the Switch. The Pikachu vs. Onix battles looks exactly how I imagined it should look like: this gigantic, looming rock snake staring down at your team of little monsters. It finally recreates that intimidating size factor which the anime (both main series and Origins) portrayed.

Question: Does Trace say anything interesting? Like does he indicate his relation to Professor Oak?

Some footage of Pokémon following Trainers have surfaced:

Venusaur
Caterpie
Golem
Onix
Electrode

Not much, but pretty interesting. Caterpie and Venusaur are the best ones here IMO.
Venusaur: Lol, it hops like a frog! I was not expecting that.
Caterpie: That's fun, you can actually outrun certain Pokemon and if they fall behind too far they just teleport back to you via their Poke Ball.
Golem: Ah, so the kept the rolling idea for Golem, wonder if they also did so for Graveler?
Onix: Already seen so not much to say. So a joke? Hmm... gee, they're sure going to need to repair a lot of streets and sidewalks with us riding around on Onix. Actually, here's a question: to interact with people or pick up items will be need to get off ride Pokemon? Seems like pressing A checks on the riding Pokemon.
Electrode: Already seen. I kind of hoped each time you saw Electrode's face it would have a different expression, that would have been cute.

Last edited:
I have to say that Electrode rolling looks hilarious to me. Golem curls up, but Electrode flat out doesnt give any crap of rolling on its own face.

....imagine it accidentally sticks a rock in his eye and blow up at random D:

Some things I noticed:
2. Ah, so you encounter your Starter when you meet Professor Oak like in the original Yellow. Hopefully this will make soft resetting for the gender of Pikachu/Eevee you want easier.
This is kinda biased against people who want a female Eevee. Then again, it shouldn't be to hard to hard-code a 50-50 distribution for the starter regardless of the non-sensical distributions set in place for its species twenty years ago.

6. It looks like they got the Pokemon scaling right now that they're on the Switch. The Pikachu vs. Onix battles looks exactly how I imagined it should look like: this gigantic, looming rock snake staring down at your team of little monsters. It finally recreates that intimidating size factor which the anime (both main series and Origins) portrayed.
Hopefully in 2019 they'll recreate the dynamic factor of battles and have mons close the distance when they use contact moves.

I'm kind of sad that the player doesn't roll on Electrode. Now that would be funny.
It's sadder that the Electrode doesn't roll on the player.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I know it was a rumor so was curious
Hi, and welcome to Orange Islands. For Let's Go discussion, there's the stickied Let's Go thread, which I moved your post into. For other general questions, there's the Simple Questions Simple Answers thread.

As for whether the battle system changes in Let's Go, we don't really know all that much. It seems like the general mechanics are kept, and that at least some later-gen moves will be present. But we don't know anything in detail yet. And for the record, don't trust rumours.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Will this change our competitive meta?
Time will tell. If it turns out to have one-tenth the content and complexity of the USUM meta, it may be that Smogon keeps USUM as its official metagame until the next games. But if the LGPE meta turns out to be vastly more popular, it may not. We don't know at the moment.

Some things I noticed:

1. Eevee in a bucket. Besides the adorable-ness, when would this animation play? Is having Eevee wearing a bucket a costume choice? I kind of doubt it, making me wonder if there aren't going to be locations where you can see special animations with the Starter. They did something similar in Detective Pikachu.
In Yellow when you talked to Pikachu after fishing a pokemon it had a bucket animation. This could be part of the same idea, but maybe more noticeable than the easily missable Yellow interactions.

Also we've seen both the starters and the normal versions with different minisprites so I'm thinking it's a safe bet to say they are different formes.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)