CAP 25 - Part 11 - CAP 25w Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NEW: This is a Celebration CAP, meaning that we are going out of our way to break some rules. We'll be creating a set of three Pokemon this time around, a set of Fire, Water, and Grass-type starters! You can read exactly which rules we'll be breaking here and the logic behind Celebration CAPs here. Give these a read-through to get some context.

---

CAP 25 Grass-type sprite submissions: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-25-part-11-cap-25g-sprite-submissions.3642036/
CAP 25 Fire-type sprite submissions: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-25-part-11-cap-25f-sprite-submissions.3642037/
CAP 25 Water-type sprite submissions: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-25-part-11-cap-25w-sprite-submissions.3642038/

---

Sprite Rules
  • Sprites should be inspired by the winning designs from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the designs; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art designs is discouraged.
  • All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 96x96.
  • All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite
  • No action effects, move effects, environment effects or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon.
  • Sprites must be in PNG format.
  • Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 24-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.
  • Use transparent backgrounds.
  • All sprites must be scratch sprites that are completely original works by the spriter. Fusions of other sprites or pixel-overs of other artist's lineart (including the main design) are not allowed.
  • Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.
  • All sprites (front and back) must use roughly the same size and pose when compared to each other.

Final Submission Post

All spriters must make a final submission post conforming to the sprite rules (listed above) and the following:
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the sprites at the top, and any additional description or comments (if applicable) below them.
  • Final submissions must contain a minimum of 4 sprites - Front Normal, Front Shiny, Back Normal, Back Shiny. If spriters choose to include gender differences (Male and Female versions of each) then 8 sprites must be submitted. Gender differences are NOT required.
  • Only submit ONE PNG that contains all the submitted sprites. Please do not submit separate images for every sprite. One "cutsheet" makes it easier for mods to track submissions and ensure each complete set of sprites stay intact.
  • The final submission image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post.

All legal final submissions will be included in the sprite poll.

Advice for Spriters

There are 8 possible sprites in a Sprite Set:
  • Front Normal Male
  • Front Normal Female
  • Front Shiny Male
  • Front Shiny Female
  • Back Normal Male
  • Back Normal Female
  • Back Shiny Male
  • Back Shiny Female
In most cases, spriters post a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites. You do not have to make different Male and Female sprites. Typically there are only minute differences between male and female sprites, but some spriters make noticeable changes between genders, which is also fine. Shiny coloring is completely up to the spriter to choose, even if the design artist posted suggested shiny coloring with their art design submission. Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Pokémon Showdown, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in battle.

Art design:

-----

CAP 25 so far:

Topic Leader: reachzero

Topic Leadership Team:
EpicUmbreon29 - Typing
snake_rattler - Ability
jas61292 - Stats
cbrevan - Movepool

CAP 25g

Typing: Grass/Electric
Threats and Counters: https://www.smogon.com/forums/posts/7875516
Abilities: Overgrow/Galvanize
Stats: 84 HP / 106 Atk / 82 Def / 77 SpA / 80 SpD / 106 Spe

CAP 25f

Typing: Fire/Ground
Threats and Counters: https://www.smogon.com/forums/posts/7870058
Abilities: Blaze/Technician
Stats: 88 HP / 116 Atk / 67 Def / 88 SpA / 78 SpD / 97 Spe

CAP 25w

Typing: Water/Bug
Threats and Counters: https://www.smogon.com/forums/posts/7872739
Abilities: Torrent/Poison Heal
Stats: 91 HP / 94 Atk / 110 Def / 80 SpA / 97 SpD / 63 Spe

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pipotchi Tritonne Sheet.png

Here's my WIP front and back sprites. I think the backsprite's head in particular needs work to sort out the shell helmet proportionally, and potentially some extra shading on the lighter blue membrane.

I'm pretty happy with the shiny colours but am not 100% about the green on the coral there. Interested in any feedback!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Wow, that is a beautiful sprite for CAP 25w, and so quick after CAP art was decided! You nailed everything about the design--the anatomy, the colors, and the pose. You did a really nice job on the shell on the back sprite.

Just a few pieces of feedback: the "helmet" looks like it's jutting out on the back sprite, whereas I think it should wrap around the head more. I'm also not sure if the light blue robe stretches that far back. It looks like it's dragging behind. I'm sure Pipotchi can chime in here. :)

Last edited:
pokehimon I love the sprites, but I personally think you should change the shiny colors. They’re extremely washed out and not super appealing to the eye. Perhaps go with a somewhat vibrant purple color scheme on the body and a mint green on the shell coral?

pokehimon man you're quick on the uptake for making a sprite huh, it's pretty good but I second Rev's idea of the shiny, maybe a Royal Purple would make the shiny more appealing?

View attachment 137323
Here's my WIP front and back sprites. I think the backsprite's head in particular needs work to sort out the shell helmet proportionally, and potentially some extra shading on the lighter blue membrane.

I'm pretty happy with the shiny colours but am not 100% about the green on the coral there. Interested in any feedback!
Yo that's a really cool sprite dude. Though I think you should try other shinies before you choose one. May I recommend a light aqua green with a red shell? I personally think that would be an awesome shiny, but I think the current one is very similar to Blastoise with purple skin and a green shell

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
Wow, that is a beautiful sprite for CAP 25w, and so quick after CAP art was decided! You nailed everything about the design--the anatomy, the colors, and the pose. You did a really nice job on the shell on the back sprite.

Just a few pieces of feedback: the "helmet" looks like it's jutting out on the back sprite, whereas I think it should wrap around the head more. I'm also not sure if the light blue robe stretches that far back. It looks like it's dragging behind. I'm sure Pipotchi can chime in here. :)
Thanks for all the feedback Quanyails, glad to hear you like it! Kind words from someone who's been spriting and contributing as long as you have!

I agree about the helmet. It was the exact problem I was having when I looked at it. It was really awkward for me to try and position it in terms of wrapping,which is how I got this. but I'll have another go. You're right about the taily membrane, I think I'll move the foot back a little and make it shorter at the back to try and make it look more like a drop from the hips.

pokehimon I love the sprites, but I personally think you should change the shiny colors. They’re extremely washed out and not super appealing to the eye. Perhaps go with a somewhat vibrant purple color scheme on the body and a mint green on the shell coral?
Thanks for the suggestion I'll have a go. I tried to keep roughly the same luminosity as the blue, which as you say I think makes it a bit more washed out. I'll have a fiddle around.

Yo that's a really cool sprite dude. Though I think you should try other shinies before you choose one. May I recommend a light aqua green with a red shell? I personally think that would be an awesome shiny, but I think the current one is very similar to Blastoise with purple skin and a green shell
Thanks! I had a go with a light green before and orange coral, and I think it was alright but overall not as interesting, I'll submit a few possible versions in my next round of edits!

EDIT: Here's my updated back sprite and shiny colours. I pumped up the saturation to make the Pinks and greens stand out a bit more.

Last edited:
Here's my updated back sprite and shiny colours. I pumped up the saturation to make the Pinks and greens stand out a bit more.
OMG the sprites are amazing! The shiny sprites look way better. The shiny colors now pop. Please stick with this color scheme.

View attachment 137323

wow, looks nice so far. if you're willing to wait until the end of today i should be able to give some more helpful feedback after blocking out the 3d model (so the sprite and 3d are identical)

also, the colors here might be a little desaturated- i posted this color key to discord but i post it here too so others can see it. i think you color picked from the img fine.. im really not sure why actually, perhaps the trim of the coat is just a shade too dark? Perhaps the shell is closer to a yellowish color than a reddish tone?

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
wow, looks nice so far. if you're willing to wait until the end of today i should be able to give some more helpful feedback after blocking out the 3d model (so the sprite and 3d are identical)

also, the colors here might be a little desaturated- i posted this color key to discord but i post it here too so others can see it. i think you color picked from the img fine.. im really not sure why actually, perhaps the trim of the coat is just a shade too dark? Perhaps the shell is closer to a yellowish color than a reddish tone?

Hi Pipotchi, Thanks for the feedback! Yes, very happy to change the colours. Sounds like I should jump into the discord I'll look for a link soon. The model will certainly help me make the helmet on the backsprite look more accurate and consistent, as I took some liberties with the back of it.

The reason I changed the shell colour was because it puts us over 16 colours. It's mostly the case in the BW sprite style that Pokemon only have 16 as far as I'm aware, but if this isn't a problem for us I'm happy to change it back, as I did make a version with a more reddy-brown shell.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi Pipotchi, Thanks for the feedback! Yes, very happy to change the colours. Sounds like I should jump into the discord I'll look for a link soon. The model will certainly help me make the helmet on the backsprite look more accurate and consistent, as I took some liberties with the back of it.

The reason I changed the shell colour was because it puts us over 16 colours. It's mostly the case in the BW sprite style that Pokemon only have 16 as far as I'm aware, but if this isn't a problem for us I'm happy to change it back, as I did make a version with a more reddy-brown shell.
CAP doesn't have a hard 16-color limit, since it'll be displayed on Pokemon Showdown! rather than a romhack. Feel free to use more colors in your palette!

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
CAP doesn't have a hard 16-color limit, since it'll be displayed on Pokemon Showdown! rather than a romhack. Feel free to use more colors in your palette!
Great, good to know. I wasn't sure if you tended to stick to these limits as tradition. Will post the new colours in the next draft.

Hi! I loved pokehimon's spritework so far. The shiny palette is absolutely beautiful, but a bit too predictable for my taste (the whole blue Water-types turning pink thing).
The moderator Quanyails told me I could use the spritework to show a few palette suggestions, so I'm sending a bunch of them.
The turquoise one is my personal favourite.
Pipotchi Tritonne Sheet (1).png

Last edited:
The turquoise one is my personal favourite.
I like the green with the yellow belly.
I think you are talking about the same color, and I agree! The turquoise one with the yellow belly is gorgeous. This is my first CAP, and I don't know if the sprite artist is supposed to decide the shiny colors, but pokehimon should definitely consider that palette for their shiny sprite. (The sprites are beautiful too, btw. Good job!)

On the topic of shinies, I would like to suggest that the shell-coral come in a variety of colors, instead of one color like we see in the normal artwork. I don’t know if this is a suggestion that is off the table due to a limited color palette or a lack of precedent, but ideally the many colors of coral would reflect the beauty and variety seen in coral reefs, or at least in artificial aquariums. I haven’t read up on art theory and I’m sure that, even if this idea is artistically viable, it would take great effort to bring the colors together convincingly, but it does seem like such a shiny would prove much more thrilling and rewarding to a shiny hunter, or even just more pleasing to use on Showdown.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
Interesting suggestions thank you everyone!

This was one that I showed off on discord after editing the helmet, but I didn't want to double post!

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
I made this recolor I really liked a while ago, but I don't plan on making a sprite, so if anyone wants to use this color scheme as their shiny coloring, feel free.
shiny snaelstrom.png

I made this recolor I really liked a while ago, but I don't plan on making a sprite, so if anyone wants to use this color scheme as their shiny coloring, feel free.
View attachment 142505
That color scheme literally hurts my eyes. Also I think you used way too many colours, plus some of the "colours" you changed were highlights and shadows. I'm sorry if this comes off as a little harsh, but please try something else.

I do like the green colour you used for the main body though.

Last edited:
25w.png

Update on my shiny suggestion. Made the outlines darker and darkened the tones of the body colors. I still have to fix the green outlines on the white portion of the body as well as find the right yellow tone for the belly. Hope to hear you guys' feedback on it! :)

edit: changed the yellow on the belly for a less saturated one and changed the green outlines on the white portion of the body;
edit 2: adding another shiny suggestion. Cretacerus suggested a shiny Corsola shell with purple body, so I came up with the scheme below.

Pipotchi Tritonne Sheet (1).png
(a.k.a Ice Princess)

Last edited:

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
pokehimon has approved me to use the Snaelstrom textures I'm currently working on to do an unofficial shiny poll, for the community to decide which shiny to go with, like with the Caribolt shiny poll!

So if you wanna go vote, click HEEEERE!

(palette F was never discussed here, but since the number of shinies was uneven, i went as well as to create one to round it out. think of it as a reiga special!)

Last edited:

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
Code:
Unofficial CAP25W Snaelstrom Shiny Poll 
# RANKED PAIRS # 
Ballots: 37 
Preferences: 170 
Defeat by: Winning votes 
Tiebreaker: Borda Count 
[Pair#01] E (28—5) F 
[Pair#02] E (27—8) B 
[Pair#03] E (24—9) A 
[Pair#04] E (24—11) C 
[Pair#05] E (23—12) D 
[Pair#06] C (21—9) F 
[Pair#07] C (21—10) B 
[Pair#08] D (19—9) F 
[Pair#09] B (19—11) A 
[Pair#10] B (19—11) F 
[Pair#11] C (18—12) A 
[Pair#12] A (16—10) F 
[Pair#13] D (16—12) A 
[Pair#14] C (16—14) D 
[Pair#15] B (15—15) D  ——> CANCELLED (tie) 

The top voting cycle is E. 

E > [D][C][A][B][F] 
C > [D][A][B][F] 
B > [F][A] 
D > [A][F] 
A > [F] 
F > [] 

[Tiebreak#1] D=15.2 > B=14.2 

———————— 
RUNDOWN
 ———————— 
1. E  ——> winner! 
2. C 
3. D 
4. B 
5. A 
6. F
Palette E is the winner of our Unofficial Poll!
Below is how the palette looks in our current 3D textures for Snaelstrom.

For any spriters or generally curious people who want to see the flat, unshaded colors for this palette, you can click HERE for the texture map for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)