All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Swampert provides a bulky water and Rock-resist in one slot, along with Roar support, meaning it becomes the main stop to Tyranitar, Aerodactyl, set-up sweepers, and other mons bulky waters generally stop.
Swampert doesn't resist water...
Aside from that, Swampert is better than Suicune at countering rock types?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Swampert doesn't resist water...
Aside from that, Swampert is better than Suicune at countering rock types?
bulky water means it is a bulky water type

Suicune, along with not actually resisting rock, is also not immune to sandstorm damage which means that Swampert can actually make use of Leftovers to be functionally bulkier than Suicune due to sand being a near constant in adv ou.

Its probably something real simple, but can anyone tell me why Whirlwind / Roar had no effect on an opposing Registeel in ADV OU?

For whatever its worth sandstorm was up, leftovers was registeel's item and had 2 curses set up, and ingrain was not in effect.

I'll post the video if I can figure out how to get it (not sure I even can).

EDIT: Was probably a 1 pokemon team lol. Can't think of anything else tbh

Last edited:
In RBY on PS!, if you and your opponent both spam Bide, then on starting the last usage of Bide (at 1PP), the sim locks you into using Struggle (since your other moves are disabled and Bide is now out of PP) even though you have three other moves with full PP. Is this intentional behavior or a bug? Should Bide's PP lower when you start using the move, or when the attack actually goes off?

EDIT: This is a purely visual bug; even if you use Struggle, it still continues the Bide all the way through, and then once Bide releases you can use other moves again like normal. Still, is this worth reporting in the bug thread?

Last edited:
Hi there
I wonder if this is a valid question but i'm going to ask anyway:

Is there a place for dpp/hgss or generally gen4 where you chat and play games within smogon/pokemon showdown?

I feel like dpp is in a weird spot right now as it isnt in ST anymore but it also isn't part of the "old 3" gens, that are covered by Pokemon Perfect.
There are some dpp tours there but basically no guides/teams whatsoever.
The only place that came to mind was the PS RoA Room but it's just a general old gens room which is a huge difference.
Or am i maybe the only one that likes to play this absolutely magnificent generation? ;_;

Foggi

Banned deucer.
Hi there
I wonder if this is a valid question but i'm going to ask anyway:

Is there a place for dpp/hgss or generally gen4 where you chat and play games within smogon/pokemon showdown?

I feel like dpp is in a weird spot right now as it isnt in ST anymore but it also isn't part of the "old 3" gens, that are covered by Pokemon Perfect.
There are some dpp tours there but basically no guides/teams whatsoever.
The only place that came to mind was the PS RoA Room but it's just a general old gens room which is a huge difference.
Or am i maybe the only one that likes to play this absolutely magnificent generation? ;_;
hey, as an fellow dpp enthusiast i wanna say that i feel the same about it, it needs to get more attention on this site but regarding your question, stone cold made a dpp discord server, it isnt too active but its better than nothing, u can try chatting about dpp there. as for dpp games you can always try challenging some people who do play this gen on smogtours or try the ladder (it got more activity in last couple of months)

Reactions: erz

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
This might not be a good place to ask, but if DPP OU can test Latias, can GSC OU test Ho-Oh?
Theoretically, yes, however there'd need to be a demonstrated reason for it - at the very least you'd want to see a lot of tours with Ho-Oh freed to give some preliminary proof that it's not broken much like Latias has had roomtours or informal games for years now in DPP, either with just Latias or in LatiMence format. You'd also need to convince a significant segment of ideally the GSC playerbase or at least the GSC council that there's good cause for Ho-Oh to be tested. Note the reasoning cited in the DPP Latias test thread's OP.

In practice I doubt that there'd be much traction behind testing Ho-Oh in GSC.

Since I don't know where to ask this, might as well put it here:
I was searching for the ADV UU VR on the Resources Archive, but the link takes me to the ADV OU teambuilding compendium.
Where is the VR for ADV UU?

Is there somewhere that I can find the full rulesets for Ubers and OU for every generation? I'm trying to put them into writing, but I'm having difficulty keeping track of all the bullshit little complex bans that end up being implemented in every generation. For instance, I don't recall what was done with Sand Veil in DPP, nor do I know what's been done with weather based speed-boosting abilities in BW, since for a while it seemed like they were under constant revision. Those are just examples though, I'm really after the full rulesets for each generation

Oldamar999

Tien Time
are there any posts giving out reasons that adv and/or gsc uubl mons were banned? I'm wanting to know why arcanine and armaldo were banned in adv, and why meganium was banned in gsc. thanks. sorry if there is none.

are there any posts giving out reasons that adv and/or gsc uubl mons were banned? I'm wanting to know why arcanine and armaldo were banned in adv, and why meganium was banned in gsc. thanks. sorry if there is none.
Here's part of the answer.
Back then, we didn't have usage statistics so making tiers was a heavily arbitrary decision based on each pokemon's usage and all-around usefulness in the metagame. At some point the standard UU power level (let's call it that) was set around metagame staples like Electabuzz/Scyther/Vileplume/Fearow/Golem/Hypno, of course this was completely arbitrary.
BL was basically the UU banlist, and it included mons like Alakazam, Dodrio or Rhydon which were definitely not OU, but deemed "too strong" for the perceived UU metagame power level.
Some tournaments around 2003-2004 (for example Summer Freedom) had a weird format where you could use one BL in your UU team. In the following years there was much debate on this issue, by late RSE it was settled that BLs were completely banned.

Basically people really liked playing Fearow and Golem so Dodrio and Rhydon were banned because of that.

AFAIK Kangaskhan evaded the banlist and remained in UU forever, despite it being the most powerful mon in the meta.

ah, so they were banned mostly because of an archaic tiering decision. do you people think these bans were still worth it looking back? can i ask that?
This question is a bit subjective, and unfortunately I don’t think we’d be able to get a solid grasp of what should/could be unbanned in certain tiers / what shouldn’t just because almost nobody plays them anymore. Personally, I think a lot of stuff probably got unjustly banned/unbanned since tiering philosophy was basically nonexistent and was centralized around arbitrary decisions made by the community at the time, but it would be difficult to test any of that out without some type of tournament / more plays in the metagame.

So back then the tiers were really decided based on what people posted in those threads? I could just post "I think Girafarig should be OU." and it really would move to OU? How could the tiers "represent usage" if they had no usage stats? How could the BL tier "balance out" UU and NU if nobody could agree on what "balance" meant?

hey, as an fellow dpp enthusiast i wanna say that i feel the same about it, it needs to get more attention on this site but regarding your question, stone cold made a dpp discord server, it isnt too active but its better than nothing, u can try chatting about dpp there. as for dpp games you can always try challenging some people who do play this gen on smogtours or try the ladder (it got more activity in last couple of months)

Can I have an invitation on there too? I'm a DPP enthusiast and I really want to know more about this gen

I’d like to start networking with people to make long, lasting friends. Preferably, id like to ladder climb with someone by my side. Any discord servers for this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)