Media One Piece (spoilers!)

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I liked the whole premise of Luffy being thrown in to the whole infiltration process that his other teammates had already been underway at for quite some time, and then just blowing their cover real quick. The whole deal with oppressive rulers that leave their citizens in the dust isn't that interesting sure, and the gifters are not that interesting design wise so far. I guess I'm just a simple man, I see some awesome stuff happening and I'm sold.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm hoping this is similar to the Zou arc which started (and ended) similarly slow. Luffy always needs a reason to fight in an arc - this would have been the first time he's just rolling in mainly to take out a powerful enemy. Now that he's seen the state of the citizen's of wano he has a real reason to take down Kaidou.... hopefully the arc picks up for real now.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
the pacing leading up to the time time fruit reveal is sso bad, the reveal was such a cool story gimmick but it had like 0 story impact on me wtf oda u culd have cut out a bunch of boring shit from before to build up to this

the pacing leading up to the time time fruit reveal is sso bad, the reveal was such a cool story gimmick but it had like 0 story impact on me wtf oda u culd have cut out a bunch of boring shit from before to build up to this
it wasnt bad, if anything it was the best way to introduce this concept into one piece. traveling into time and the past has ruined so many animes before and oda has done it the quickest and most effective way possible. its actually good thing that it had 0 impact on the story because if it did it would have became a mess .The result would be REALLY BAD for one piece IF IT HAD IMPACT just like many manga and anime that has fallen due to plot holes being created with time travelling etc. yet again oda has shown why hes a step ahead of most authors when it comes to implementing complex concepts like time and what not.
the "boring shit" was necessary, there's no point in rushing it.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i dont mean impact story wise, i meant actually building up to it in terms of the information we had on wano / kuri et cetera. There was like maybe 5 oblique hints regarding them being from the past which no one gave a shit about. instead we were prancing around with a bunch of jobber gifters who we know dont amount to shit for like 20 chapters, the only exciting moments were when basil and law met up / basil and zoro/luffy

to clarify: no one semed to really care about the past prior to kaidou setting up shop- thus we dont care, and the fact that they are from the past means literally 0. which is way worse than it bending the plot to some extent. obviously it will factor in at some point later but as of now its literally just a "gotcha!"

Five bucks says Orochi somehow got his hands on the Toki-Toki no Mi and is a swordsman, so Zoro's going to fucking move through stopped time to cut him

so kaido is indeed a dragon,
i mean it was expected by so many but its cool that we get to see him

Five bucks says Orochi somehow got his hands on the Toki-Toki no Mi and is a swordsman, so Zoro's going to fucking move through stopped time to cut him
its impossible for zoro to move through stopped time, that would imply hes the fastest character in all of one piece which he isnt lol

brightobject

there like moonlight
i dont see why the toki toki no mi would be able to stop time when all we've seen it do is move forward in time (And we've been told moving backwards in time is impossible) at most i could see a user using it to teleport unexpectedly to ambush ppl, and maybe zoro using observation haki to counter it

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Luffy bit off more than he could chew. I'm looking forward to Kaido's villain speech in the next chapter. Law will probably have to save Luffy again.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
oh oh oh oh ok. I like this set up with the acts. So we all saw Kidd meeting up with Luffy. But I guess Franky is going to fashion seastone weapons now - good way to have him fight logias w/o just another buso haki user!!

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
oh oh oh oh ok. I like this set up with the acts. So we all saw Kidd meeting up with Luffy. But I guess Franky is going to fashion seastone weapons now - good way to have him fight logias w/o just another buso haki user!!
Interesting, didn’t even think about that. Loving Wano unsurprisingly, rip Robin tho. Wonder if we’re going back to the Reverie for a few chapters?

I see that the Wano arc is divided into separate acts, huh? I wonder how many sections we'll get. I hope it doesn't take as long as Whole Cake or Dressrosa, though. Those arcs took about about two to three years each.

The act setup is similar to traditional japanese plays, especially with this chapter's title being a reference to that. The act 1 of a japanese play is slow and introduces the characters and plot (From the start of the Wano Arc until where we are now). Acts 2-4 speed the plot up with major battles in the 2nd and 4th acts, and a big moment in the 3rd act. The 5th act is fast and a satisfying conclusion. This play like structure could lead to an intermission of sorts, like possibly going back to the Reverie.

oh god i was so scared they killed bon clay too
Man, that would've been a fucking slap in the face. He cheats death twice, when both of those deaths would have been emotional and narrative-justified, only to get off-screened after? Jesus, good thing Catarina had some other fruit.

Also, worth noting that Oda sidestepped expectations by not giving the diamond fruit to Shiliew. I'm surprised by the choice to pass Absalom's ability on to him, given that Shiliew's projected to be Zoro's fight. I just can't imagine this power actually giving Zoro any real trouble. Maybe the inference here should be that a bigger fish is going to join Blackbeard's crew down the line?

Jimbo

take me anywhere
Man, that would've been a fucking slap in the face. He cheats death twice, when both of those deaths would have been emotional and narrative-justified, only to get off-screened after? Jesus, good thing Catarina had some other fruit.

Also, worth noting that Oda sidestepped expectations by not giving the diamond fruit to Shiliew. I'm surprised by the choice to pass Absalom's ability on to him, given that Shiliew's projected to be Zoro's fight. I just can't imagine this power actually giving Zoro any real trouble. Maybe the inference here should be that a bigger fish is going to join Blackbeard's crew down the line?
I read a theory that Mihawk may lose to Shiliew at some point, and hence Shiliew will end up being the strongest swordsman. I feel that kind of unbelievable, albeit with the (probable) dissolution of the shichibukai (i.e. why Mihawk told Perona it's best to leave his island soon...) he may be entering the story in some bigger way sooner rather than later. I tend to think that Blackbeard's crew is complete, and I doubt Shiliew will be replaced, as he is currently the 2nd ship commander.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 1)