Rules Forum Rules and Simple Questions/Answers

How do you even deal with evasion abusers? Like those frickin Minimizers?

VGC scarred me, alright? I'm scared of those pink tiny blobs now...
Those will always be a little irritating, I've suffered at least twice vs z-Detect Yanmega. There are more ways to deal w/ them now then ever w/ z-moves though, those made me give up on using a Minimize-BP Drifblim which noboby seemed to think was very good last gen anyway. You need more than just z-moves though since you only get 1.

One mon I like to deal w/ all the main ones is a TrickScarf Infiltrator Chandelure. It can just ohko Glalie(through the sub!) and takes ice fine so they would need to hit sheer cold(and b faster ofc.) Chansey and Clefable get Scarfed, I've also used Clear Smog on this Chandy but generally dislike it since these kind of boosters already hate Trick and others like Mimikyu/Mence end up too strong/fast to wipe, even after just 1 boost.

Smart Strike hits blobs hard. I was looking at it earlier, sadly Durant doesn't get it:(, which would've been nice w/ hustle. But there's Kartana. Otherwise not many mons learn it, and very few of those are steel type(idk that's weird.) OHKO moves have low acc but it can't be reduced further so they are an option. Encore doesn't miss so that can be really good. A weird one I've used is Stomp mega Kang, Stomp hits mons that have used Minimize, and good flinch chance over 2 hits. The p-Bond power nerf is less significant towards stomp than DE cause of a secondary effect. Roar/Whirlwind are good. If you feel like using Malamar or Smeargle Topsy-Turvy never misses. If you're still desperate Psych Up never misses either.

Those will always be a little irritating, I've suffered at least twice vs z-Detect Yanmega. There are more ways to deal w/ them now then ever w/ z-moves though, those made me give up on using a Minimize-BP Drifblim which noboby seemed to think was very good last gen anyway. You need more than just z-moves though since you only get 1.

One mon I like to deal w/ all the main ones is a TrickScarf Infiltrator Chandelure. It can just ohko Glalie(through the sub!) and takes ice fine so they would need to hit sheer cold(and b faster ofc.) Chansey and Clefable get Scarfed, I've also used Clear Smog on this Chandy but generally dislike it since these kind of boosters already hate Trick and others like Mimikyu/Mence end up too strong/fast to wipe, even after just 1 boost.

Smart Strike hits blobs hard. I was looking at it earlier, sadly Durant doesn't get it:(, which would've been nice w/ hustle. But there's Kartana. Otherwise not many mons learn it, and very few of those are steel type(idk that's weird.) OHKO moves have low acc but it can't be reduced further so they are an option. Encore doesn't miss so that can be really good. A weird one I've used is Stomp mega Kang, Stomp hits mons that have used Minimize, and good flinch chance over 2 hits. The p-Bond power nerf is less significant towards stomp than DE cause of a secondary effect. Roar/Whirlwind are good. If you feel like using Malamar or Smeargle Topsy-Turvy never misses. If you're still desperate Psych Up never misses either.

Separate but editing so as not to double post oops lol. I was wondering if defensive Tapu Koko is viable. Iron Def/Discharge/Roost/Toxic. I felt like using Iron Defense on something and this seems ok. Many holes like Ferro, Aegi, Gliscor etc. but Koko in many cases doesn't deal w/ those all that well. This set sets up really well on Blaziken because theyt essentially always Protectto be faster and I use ID at that time. I've had it match SD Mimikyu up to the max +6 then win though I'm not sure how much that depends on para hax. But I've been winning more(not a lot mind you-but a bit over half again I had started losing over half w/ the prior team.)

I also had an idea to make a team w/ a made up core, I'm assuming it is made up cause it has Slowking. I saw those a few times and I started thinking to use it. Haven't played w/ it yet, aforementioned Koko for now. But since there are more special attackers than last gen I thought the swapped defenses over Bro were enough of a mixed bag that it couldn't really be plainly worse. The "core" is Stakataka, Bulu, Slowking. It'll sound silly but somehow they just look really balanced together. Stak/Bulu isn't especially creative though neither are common. Although it has no ground weakness Slowking has lower Def. 95/80 isn't exactly low but going by stats EQ is the #1 move used to kill it. This one is AV to better take the special attacks that it's supposed to.

Last edited:
Separate but editing so as not to double post. I was wondering if defensive Tapu Koko is viable. Iron Def/Discharge/Roost/Toxic. I felt like using Iron Defense on something and this seems ok. Many holes like Ferro, Aegi, Gliscor etc. but Koko in many cases doesn't deal w/ those all that well. This set sets up really well on Blaziken because theyt essentially always Protectto be faster and I use ID at that time. I've had it match SD Mimikyu up to the max +6 then win though I'm not sure how much that depends on para hax. But I've been winning more(not a lot mind you-but a bit over half again I had started losing over half w/ the prior team.)

I also had an idea to make a team w/ a made up core, I'm assuming it is made up cause it has Slowking. I saw those a few times and I started thinking to use it. Haven't played w/ it yet, aforementioned Koko for now. But since there are more special attackers than last gen I thought the swapped defenses over Bro were enough of a mixed bag that it couldn't really be plainly worse. The "core" is Stakataka, Bulu, Slowking. It'll sound silly but somehow they just look really balanced together. Stak/Bulu isn't especially creative though neither are common. Although it has no ground weakness Slowking has lower Def. 95/80 isn't exactly low but going by stats EQ is the #1 move used to kill it. This one is AV to better take the special attacks that it's supposed to.
I feel like if you are gonna use iron defence koko, use reflect instead. It offers the utility of switching whilst giving the defence boost.

Indeed lol my ideas. Next project is Grudge, anyone see that get used? Cool move it caught my attention before from Explorers of Sky. Not nearly as obnoxious here but it can't be played around as easily as Destiny Bond. Status like Leech seed, Toxic, etc. won't lose all PP to Grudge but those bypass Dbond too.

Indeed lol my ideas. Next project is Grudge, anyone see that get used? Cool move it caught my attention before from Explorers of Sky. Not nearly as obnoxious here but it can't be played around as easily as Destiny Bond. Status like Leech seed, Toxic, etc. won't lose all PP to Grudge but those bypass Dbond too.
I’ve only seen Grudge once in competitive play this gen and it was on Ninetales-A. Which is possibly the only pokemon which can use it decently well, while it’s doing its Aurora Veil stuff.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think there's some merit in the idea of a Taunt+Grudge Mega Gengar build, especially if it's paired with a setup Pokémon that can take advantage of certain Pokémon with their attacking moves disabled, such as Naganadel without Draco Meteor, mono-attacking Mega Salamence sets (or those with Earthquake being suddenly unable to blow through a Tapu Koko, for example), Mega Charizard Y without its Fire STAB, Mimikyu without Play Rough ... the list goes on, but you'd have to build it with a specific win condition in mind and with a clear idea of what kinds of meta threats you'd want that win condition to be able to set up on. Theoretically possible, and more power to you if you can make it work, but very difficult.

I didn't see the information on bulbapedia, but I'm assuming that grudge goes to waste if they KO w/ a z-move. Also I was thinking that I can Baton Pass that status. However, only Shedinja and Smeargle get that combo so it seems too weak even if it works.

That's a good idea w/ Gengar. I'd guess most mons that could use Grudge well would also have Protect/Sub to reduce odds of dying to a z-move? The mon I'm thinking to Grudge w/ is Mega-Gallade. For moves I immediately thougt of (ofc cause it is the whole idea here) Grudge, and sub. Then it seems difficult.

Close Combat is good, but could easily be Draining Punch. If Grudge on a Mence switch in scares it into EQing me then unboosted max atk EQ shouldn't 2hko. I don't need crazy much bulk to make that fairly unlikely, but should I just run 252 HP +Def? Then DP is even more compelling. So probably a fighting STAB of some sort. Then Ice Punch? Makes sense but Toxic, T-Wave, Zen Headbutt, and maybe wisp all compete so I'm not sure what moves to use. Mostly I;d like advice on Gallade, what moves and before that is it even halfway viable. But I don't mind teammate ideas assuming people consider it viable.

I didn't see the information on bulbapedia, but I'm assuming that grudge goes to waste if they KO w/ a z-move. Also I was thinking that I can Baton Pass that status. However, only Shedinja and Smeargle get that combo so it seems too weak even if it works.

That's a good idea w/ Gengar. I'd guess most mons that could use Grudge well would also have Protect/Sub to reduce odds of dying to a z-move? The mon I'm thinking to Grudge w/ is Mega-Gallade. For moves I immediately thougt of (ofc cause it is the whole idea here) Grudge, and sub. Then it seems difficult.

Close Combat is good, but could easily be Draining Punch. If Grudge on a Mence switch in scares it into EQing me then unboosted max atk EQ shouldn't 2hko. I don't need crazy much bulk to make that fairly unlikely, but should I just run 252 HP +Def? Then DP is even more compelling. So probably a fighting STAB of some sort. Then Ice Punch? Makes sense but Toxic, T-Wave, Zen Headbutt, and maybe wisp all compete so I'm not sure what moves to use. Mostly I;d like advice on Gallade, what moves and before that is it even halfway viable. But I don't mind teammate ideas assuming people consider it viable.
Grudge works like Dbond, you cannot pass the status because it expires on the next time you move. Grudge just has very very limited usage unfortunately, I cannot think of a competitive usage beyond a meme team.

Omg. I didn't know it expired the same way I figured the only possible point to it would be if it didn't do that. Well nvm then, ty.

Can a 11 year old team be competitive?

Basically, my question is above... I'm an old player, my last pokemon game I've played is pokemon diamond... and I remember I've built a good team there with good IVs, fully EVs and with the good nature... Because I don't play from almost 11 years I don't remember each pokemon, but I remember I had a Blissey for special tank, Skarmory, Gengar, Breloom, Snorlax and I've also put my shiny bronzong which I found and wasn't that bad in IVs and nature and a couple more which I don't remember now, but every now and then I was used to put in the team and make some changes.

I remember I've spent tons of time to get these pokemon the best as possible. The problem is, I'm out from 11 years and for various reasons these days youtube is suggesting some videos about a guy using a magikarp but still winning all online games. Somehow this made me feel nostalgic and I almost want to buy the latest pokemon game just to play online every now and then, but sadly I don't have the time anymore to grow pokemon. That's why I'm asking, in your opinion can that old team still win some games on the latest pokemon game? Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can a 11 year old team be competitive?

Basically, my question is above... I'm an old player, my last pokemon game I've played is pokemon diamond... and I remember I've built a good team there with good IVs, fully EVs and with the good nature... Because I don't play from almost 11 years I don't remember each pokemon, but I remember I had a Blissey for special tank, Skarmory, Gengar, Breloom, Snorlax and I've also put my shiny bronzong which I found and wasn't that bad in IVs and nature and a couple more which I don't remember now, but every now and then I was used to put in the team and make some changes.

I remember I've spent tons of time to get these pokemon the best as possible. The problem is, I'm out from 11 years and for various reasons these days youtube is suggesting some videos about a guy using a magikarp but still winning all online games. Somehow this made me feel nostalgic and I almost want to buy the latest pokemon game just to play online every now and then, but sadly I don't have the time anymore to grow pokemon. That's why I'm asking, in your opinion can that old team still win some games on the latest pokemon game? Thank you
if those pokemon you bred / RNGed / obtained originated in those old games they won't be allowed on the "ranked" ladders, as you can only bring Pokemon obtained from gen 6 games and later. A Gengar caught in Omega Ruby will have a pentagon symbol in its status screen, a Gengar caught in Moon will have a + symbol on its status screen, a Gengar caught in the virtual console version of Yellow will have a gameboy symbol, and a Gengar caught in Platinum will have no symbol. Ranked Battle Spot only allows pentagon and + symbols, gameboy and no symbol pokemon are banned (except in certain special competitions).

that means you will unfortunately have to re-breed your Pokemon in the newer games to use them in the ranked mode, or just play free battles. the good news is that you can still use your good IV pokemon from older games as parents for breeding, as the offspring will have the necessary symbol you need as they will have originated in the newer game.

there's also a HEAP of giveaways in the wifi forum to obtain pokemon with good IVs (and often with EVs too). you can grab yourself a perfect Ditto and breed it with your perfect pokemon to get perfect + mons.

as for actual teams from that era; A LOT has changed since gen 4, the general rule of thumb is that you want a mega evolution and z move user on every team now. for starters you can simply make your Gengar the mega and give something with a strong attack the Z crystal. apart from that, older teams can work while you learn the metagame for sure.

edit: those youtubers are almost definitely playing on the free battles "ladder" of battle spot, where the competition is much lower, and your older pokemon are legal.

I am new to BSS but have spent a long time battling in Showdown OU tier. I was wondering what are the main changes in mindset I have to have and how the meta game of BSS is different from the OU meta game I am used to. Also what are some tips on getting started, I have bred a lot of mons lately but a lot of them are OU focused sets. What are some staple mons that a beginner of BSS should consider using?

I am new to BSS but have spent a long time battling in Showdown OU tier. I was wondering what are the main changes in mindset I have to have and how the meta game of BSS is different from the OU meta game I am used to. Also what are some tips on getting started, I have bred a lot of mons lately but a lot of them are OU focused sets. What are some staple mons that a beginner of BSS should consider using?
The best place to look for answers is in the first post here:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/an-introduction-to-3v3-singles-aka-bss.3601012/
It gives a decent overview of the mechanics of BSS and some mons you will expect to see.

This site gives you an idea of the most common pokemon used on ladder atm and their most common moves:

https://boe2.github.io/bsus.html
There's also a viability ranking here:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bss-viability-rankings.3605970/
Overall the best way to get into BSS is to get a sample team from the sample teams thread and start hitting the ladder and experience the tier for yourself before you actually spend a lot of effort building on cartridge.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be act stupid, but why isn't Mega Camerupt ranked? It has a full analysis on the smogon strategy dex for it, but I don't see it on the VR. Why is this?

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I'm not trying to be act stupid, but why isn't Mega Camerupt ranked? It has a full analysis on the smogon strategy dex for it, but I don't see it on the VR. Why is this?
You might be looking at the OU analysis or some other format, the only Battle Spot analysis Camerupt has is a Battle Spot Doubles analysis from Gen 6.

To answer the initial question though, Mega Camerupt isn't ranked because it's an overly Trick Room dependent Mega that doesn't really accomplish much that the other Trick Room Megas such as Mawile or even Heracross don't accomplish better. Running it without Trick Room support in BSS is also difficult unlike the aforementioned Megas because of how fast paced the meta is, so it's very difficult for it to just come in, hit something hard, and then switch out. It's very strong and has a great offensive typing but BSS is a format that is very saturated with stronger Fire-types, and its weaknesses are a bit too common for something that depends so heavily on Trick Room to function in this format. I wouldn't say it's entirely unviable, but it doesn't have very much meta relevance even compared to the fringe relevant C rank Pokemon.

What do you guys think are good teammates for a mega Metagross?
Mega Metagross, being an all round fantasticly versatile mega has a lot of pokemon that it synergises well with. Probably the most notorious Mega-Gross core is the Meta-Lando-Fini-Rotom-H core which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful cores in USUM BSS. Another common gross core is Meta-P2-Pex-Gliscor. An older gen 7 core was Meta-Hydreigon-Koko. On a personal note, I quite like Naga-Gross, though that is not used often.

Last edited:
What's the best/easiest way to play with special Pokemon allowed, but otherwise follow all other BSS rules?

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
What's the best/easiest way to play with special Pokemon allowed, but otherwise follow all other BSS rules?
If you're playing on the 3DS, Free Battles with Restricted Pokémon allowed is going to let you do 3v3 at level 50 with all mons in the game. If you're talking about showdown play, you're pretty much out of luck

Hi, sorta getting back into this and ofc still trying to be creative lol. It's pretty out there, but the main thing I'm trying to use is z-Captivate. Captivate itself isn't too much use since it fails over half the time, but the z-move gives +2 SpD and then can BP or something...

Since it isn't a TM anymore not many mons learn the move. Been trying BP/Coil/Captivate/Aqua Tail Gorebyss. They can really use the +2 SpD and pass it along w. possible coil boosts. But somewhat frail and low Atk. Moreover I feel extra weird about using z-Captivate when I could just pass Amnesia, and that's not even good lol...

But don't wanna give up on it so soon. Maybe don't use it w/ BP? Alola-Persian has very low defensive stats but Fur Coat, so it might work w/ max Hp/Spe. W/ STAB Foul Play less SpA is needed. Idk the gender thing rly throws a wrench in it need a good team for fighting genderless esp. then. Anyone see merit in this?

Hi, sorta getting back into this and ofc still trying to be creative lol. It's pretty out there, but the main thing I'm trying to use is z-Captivate. Captivate itself isn't too much use since it fails over half the time, but the z-move gives +2 SpD and then can BP or something...

Since it isn't a TM anymore not many mons learn the move. Been trying BP/Coil/Captivate/Aqua Tail Gorebyss. They can really use the +2 SpD and pass it along w. possible coil boosts. But somewhat frail and low Atk. Moreover I feel extra weird about using z-Captivate when I could just pass Amnesia, and that's not even good lol...

But don't wanna give up on it so soon. Maybe don't use it w/ BP? Alola-Persian has very low defensive stats but Fur Coat, so it might work w/ max Hp/Spe. W/ STAB Foul Play less SpA is needed. Idk the gender thing rly throws a wrench in it need a good team for fighting genderless esp. then. Anyone see merit in this?
Im not sure about Z-Captivate with Gorebyss when you can do the far more threatening shell smash + baton pass. In my opinion there's not too much merit in captivate due to needing the right gender unfortunately.

Im not sure about Z-Captivate with Gorebyss when you can do the far more threatening shell smash + baton pass. In my opinion there's not too much merit in captivate due to needing the right gender unfortunately.
Yeah, they didn't make it very strong cause of genders. Charm doesn't suffer from that part but is kinda unimpressive as a move as well, while the z-move is even worse, +1 def vs 2 SpD. Really trying to find interesting non-attack z-moves but they're either bad extra effects, bad base moves, or already obviously at least ok like z-mist/haze.

Apparently this team doesn't qualify for XY no restrictions. Can anyone help me figure out why?
Espeon
- dream eater
- future sight
- protect
- psychic

Darkrai (from event)
- dark void
- dark pulse
- phantom force
- dream eater

Genesect
- bug buzz
- technoblast
- flamethrower
- zap cannon

Amoonguss
- giga drain
- protect
- spore
- clear smog

Thundurus
- thunder
- thrash
- hammer arm
- dark pulse

Mewtwo
- trick room
- psystrike
- psychic
- aura sphere

I like this question! It seems like one I'd ask. Mega Camerupt has so much power, but the Spe thing is no longer fixed w/ paralysis cause that only halves their Spe vs. 1/4. Kinda frail w/ blah base 70 HP, and pre-mega it has essentially no use unlike mons that can be mega or not and be viable, as well as something like Sharpedo that can do something unique before going mega, then do that for the stats.

Basically it's just really outclassed by Heatran I'd say. Heatran can do everything it can do except Yawn. You lose some power, but for much bulk, Spe, and ofc mega slot.

Still, imo anything like that that can hit rly hard has SOME use. Crawdaunt, Kingler, Rampardo, Exploud, etc. But less in general than ranked stuff cause they are basically all poorly rounded, albeit absurdly hard hitting.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)