Pokemon size comparison

I recently watched this video about the size, to scale, of all Pokemon. It's shocking how different certain Pokemon are so much bigger/smaller than what I expected from just playing the games.

And I wanted to discuss this with other people. What Pokemon shocked you when you found out their actual size? Is there still a debate about "length" vs "size"? What Pokemon do you feel is "too big/small"?

Crobat shouldn't be as big as Salamence...
Crobat.png

I never realized Beartic was larger than Tyranitar or Haxorus...
Beartic.png

Dhelmise and Celesteela are SO much larger than the games ever show you!

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
There is some issues with the size I think should be mentioned (and I think the ones who made the size comparison also forgot): the Height trait is sometimes a misnomer.

1.8 m for Crobat is ridiculous... unless that's supposed to be its wing span (the length from the tip of one wing to the one on the other side of the body). If we were to take that 1.8 m as its wing span, Crobat is actually as big as the Giant Golden-Crowned Flying Fox:

(Still big, but much more reasonable)

Also "Height" and "Length" is also easily thrown around, notable for the serpent Pokemon.

Though that still leaves some oddities like Haxorus and Beartic above. It feels like this is a case they don't want to make the one based on a mythical creature (Haxorus, though you can argue it's more dinosaur-like) too big but yet based the one on an living animal (Beartic) on the animals's actual size (polar bears can grow to a length of 7 meters feet).

They really need to redo the Height and Weight mechanics so they make sense... heck, the anime doesn't even bother with the official sizes and weight.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Another thing they really ought to fix is to put in a Metric option in the English-language versions of their games. As a kid playing the first couple of generations, I had no idea how big each Pokémon was supposed to be, because I thought my game carts were glitched. When I looked up size and weight in the Pokédex, all it displayed was numbers with weird apostrophes in them, and weights given in "lb"s, whatever the heck that is supposed to mean.

For instance, Venusaur's size is given as 6 apostrophes + 7 double apostrophes, which logically should be 20 apostrophes in total, but what is even an apostrophe supposed to be? And it weighs 220.5 lb. How do you even make half an lb, provided you manage to find out what it is and get hold of one in the first place? If you look up a site that has managed to do the conversion for you, you find the original figures for Venusaur: 2 m tall, weighs 100 kg. Simple and easy numbers, completely relatable, even though it does highlight the fact that the designers have no idea about density. Hippos are about as tall as Venusaur minus the flower, a little larger in length but much narrower, and they weigh 1500 kg on average.

It's a little better in later generations, where the Pokédex has a feature that lets you compare the Pokémon against the trainer model, but it probably wouldn't be much of an effort to display Metric in all versions of the games. The Imperial system is absolutely, objectively, undeniably a completely retarded system of measurement, and after Myanmar adopted Metric in 2013 there's only one country out there that hasn't passed a Metrication act: Liberia. Come on, English translators of Pokémon, ditch the stupidity and join the rest of the civilized world! Leave the original Metric numbers from the Japanese originals intact!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
If you look up a site that has managed to do the conversion for you, you find the original figures for Venusaur: 2 m tall, weighs 100 kg. Simple and easy numbers, completely relatable, even though it does highlight the fact that the designers have no idea about density. Hippos are about as tall as Venusaur minus the flower, a little larger in length but much narrower, and they weigh 1500 kg on average.
That does bring up an interesting point though. Fixing Height shouldn't be an issue as they just need to decide what animal (living or extinct) they want the Pokemon to be the same size of (also there's really no mechanic that uses Height). However Weight is another issue, mainly because there are Moves which use Weight. Sure we're amazed on how heavy some Pokemon can get like Cosmoem, Celesteela, Groudon, etc., but the thing is real life animals get heavy quickly when you start increasing their size.

Disregarding the weight issues (in which lots of Pokémon are drastically lighter than they should be - notably Wailord), the problem with height is that there is only one measure.

That one "Height" measure could mean lots of things. We don't know if it's the actual height, it's wingspan (for flying Pokémon), snout-to-tail length (for legless or quadrupedal Pokémon), head-to-feet height (for bipedal Pokémon), or anything else it could be. This creates some awkward reactions upon seeing this measure. Let's take Dunsparce and Salamence, for example.

1548695579442.png

Dunsparce and Salamence are supposed to have the same "Height" even though Dunsparce is a simple snake and Salamence is a huge dragon. One would assume they have the same length but Salamence is much taller, but then... what does "Height" mean?

It's confusing. Multiple measures could solve this.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Disregarding the weight issues (in which lots of Pokémon are drastically lighter than they should be - notably Wailord), the problem with height is that there is only one measure.

That one "Height" measure could mean lots of things. We don't know if it's the actual height, it's wingspan (for flying Pokémon), snout-to-tail length (for legless or quadrupedal Pokémon), head-to-feet height (for bipedal Pokémon), or anything else it could be. This creates some awkward reactions upon seeing this measure. Let's take Dunsparce and Salamence, for example.

View attachment 157496

Dunsparce and Salamence are supposed to have the same "Height" even though Dunsparce is a simple snake and Salamence is a huge dragon. One would assume they have the same length but Salamence is much taller, but then... what does "Height" mean?

It's confusing. Multiple measures could solve this.
Okay, I can see Salamence being 5 feet tall (floor to top of head), though from head to tail its defiantly longer.

But Dunsparce, where did they get 5 feet from? It can't be that long, it's too squat, but it's the only thing that could be that size. Infact, looking through images of Dunsparce it's something the games, anime, and manga ignore, instead they make it 2-3 feet.

(in which lots of Pokémon are drastically lighter than they should be - notably Wailord)
Wailord is kind of on purpose, at least in making it lighter than air. It's called the "Float Whale" for a reason (don't ask me how it's able to dive).

Okay, I can see Salamence being 5 feet tall (floor to top of head), though from head to tail its defiantly longer.
Yeah, I was thinking about it for a while and it can't be 1.5m long because that would mean it fits on a desk :P

(Although desk-sized Salamence would be cute)

Last edited:

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
I found this image on Reddit where it basically shows all Pokemon sizes compared to each other. I thought this was a good image that depicts just how astounding it really is. I hope this image can help you guys see some more unexpected and surprising comparisons, because it sure surprised me.

Some are very, very shocking. You wouldn't image Dhelmise being taller than those it stands next to, such as Drampa, Kommo-o, and Silvally. I knew Alolan Exeggutor was tall, but not that tall, damn. Also, the fact that the ultra beasts are taller than most legendaries is also quite scary. Necrozma-Ultra is an absolute unit.

I also have issues with the scaling outside of battle. Using the Ride Pager in Sun and Moon, you'd think that Mudsdale, Tauros, Stoutland and Machamp are all similar in size.

But according to the Pokedex, Mudsdale is a lot bigger (2.5 meters in "height") than Tauros (1.4 meter), Stoutland (1.2) or Machamp (1.6).

I get that there's variation, but that's a bit much.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
This is probably the biggest "inconsistency" left in the Pokemon world. I always disregard the dex sizes every time and tend to go from the Anime for sizes of Pokemon. Unless Ash is a ridiculously tiny person, all the sizes are off. Let's not forget Ash has lifted/caught Pokemon like Hippopotas no issues (and in the dex it weighs like 50kgs). Either that, or use your own measure! The sizes in the dex have zero consistency like others have said. Is it Length? Furret is now huge. Is it Height? Charizard and Nidoking are now Dwarves.

Last edited:
We do need to define how it is measured, which... well, the official Pokedex never mentioned. Using the Pokedex standard, I wouldn't believe that Braixen is as tall short as 4 Vees (Vaporeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Sylveon) at 1m. It does include upright ears' height on the 'vees (I do have life-sized Vaporeon and Sylveon plush, can confirm), but thinking about it, Braixen is still around as tall as elementary schoolers.

I feel like either Lillie's Shiron is very XS, or the 'dex has been lying to us about it supposedly being 0.6m.

Admittedly, bias on how we perceive standing bipedal 'mon could also contribute to this.

Last edited:
It's pretty funny that this was being discussed recently as a 'real'-life-scale Furret plushie was revealed.

This pretty much makes it the only Pokémon where we have an official confirmation on what its "Height" measure means: length. Not to mention being able to get all its measures thanks to this.

Last edited:
Idk too many oddities but Carracosta’s height is an atrocity. 3’11?! Slowpoke is also weird as it shares the same height as Carracosta.

It's pretty funny that this was being discussed recently as a 'real'-life-scale Furret plushie was revealed.

View attachment 160387

This pretty much makes it the only Pokémon where we have an official confirmation on what its "Height" measure means: length. Not to mention being able to get all its measures thanks to this.
I... may need to give some previous official plush toys. Especially since the dex's measurement is often too confusing and few people know these cuties are actually around the size of medium-large dogs. (The tallest are at 1m including their ears, one space between dotted lines equals 20cm.)

(And yes, while on that, look at how awfully short Glaceon is compared to others)

Then again, on the same time I couldn't wrap my head over Lillie's Shiron, or how the Pokedex is lying about Alo-pix's height. The 1/1 plush as advertised (granted, by Takara Tomy, not official PokeCen) can't reach 60cm by any measurements tried, even streching diagonally from head to tail. Or maybe she's XS.

Too bad I wasn't around when it was Gen5 with life-size starters. Snivy... well, any serpentine Pokemon, how do we measure them again?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I found this image on Reddit where it basically shows all Pokemon sizes compared to each other. I thought this was a good image that depicts just how astounding it really is. I hope this image can help you guys see some more unexpected and surprising comparisons, because it sure surprised me.

Some are very, very shocking. You wouldn't image Dhelmise being taller than those it stands next to, such as Drampa, Kommo-o, and Silvally. I knew Alolan Exeggutor was tall, but not that tall, damn. Also, the fact that the ultra beasts are taller than most legendaries is also quite scary. Necrozma-Ultra is an absolute unit.
Geez those size differences. Taking a quick look through it:
  • All the Starters just in general, all of them are the size of the trainer (who is a kid). Now some would be or understandably would, but all of them? Most look bigger (and anime made them bigger), only a few would be smaller like Infernape.
  • Always surprised me how big Golbat, Crobat, and Haunter is. On the same note Crabominable, Xurkitree, and the Swords of Justice are also bigger then expected. However two just don't look like: Spinda and Passimian. Spinda is as big as the trainer, and bigger then Torkoal and Grumpig next to it. And Passimian is bigger than Oranguru! Also Ledian is surprisingly big for how weak it's supposedly said to be (you'd think it would be as big as Ribombee).
  • While a bit bigger than the Starters, some of the pseudo Legendaries aren't that big, notably Dragonite, Tyranitar, Hydregion, & Kommo-o. They're just as big as Mewtwo & Legendary Beasts and smaller then Kangaskhan & Rhyperior.
  • Surprisingly small com mons: Ampharos, Slaking, Mega Sableye (I thought it's gem was like human size), Mega Mawile, & Absol.
  • Surprisingly small Legendaries: Forces of Nature & Volcanion generally. However I'm surprised that Reshiram and Zekrom isn't as big as the other Legendaries (specifically Dialga & Palkia). Also I thought Pheromosa was supposed to be really tall; like I think it and Xurkitree switched sizes.
I... may need to give some previous official plush toys. Especially since the dex's measurement is often too confusing and few people know these cuties are actually around the size of medium-large dogs. (The tallest are at 1m including their ears, one space between dotted lines equals 20cm.)

(And yes, while on that, look at how awfully short Glaceon is compared to others)
Actually Jolteon is the same height as Glaceon, it's just so spiky (and has bigger ears) that it hides its height.

But yeah, first time I saw the plush I was surprised because it's such a size increase, like Jolteon and Glaceon looks like they should be the "tallest" as the Eeveelutions go. But the others nearly quadruple their size from Eevee when I always imagined they doubled or at most tripled.

Actually Jolteon is the same height as Glaceon, it's just so spiky (and has bigger ears) that it hides its height.

But yeah, first time I saw the plush I was surprised because it's such a size increase, like Jolteon and Glaceon looks like they should be the "tallest" as the Eeveelutions go. But the others nearly quadruple their size from Eevee when I always imagined they doubled or at most tripled.
Funnily, artists actually ship Glaceon with Sylveon. Well, most people don't really read nor care about the 'dex (not with those outrageous claims) anyway to even know they actually have varied size (which I'm also honestly against, at least by 10cm differences that's noticeable as that pic shows), but to be fair too, since GO and Let's Go we are treated with size variance, which happens in real life as well.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Call it crazy, but I really don't think the sizes of Pokemon listed in the dex should be taken at face value. People always comment on how some Pokemon appear much large in the anime than in the dex statements, or how the recent 3D games show them in different sizes. But know what I think?

The height/weight values listed in the dex are averages. The size of an individual specimen of a specific Pokemon could be drastically different from another separate specimen of that same Pokemon. Like Ash's Charizard is probably a giant, much larger than the recorded average Charizard height averaged from all the known specimens of Charizard recorded. Same with weight. Some Hippopotas, despite being seemingly heavy, could be rather light especially if they are relatively young. The Larvitar Ash had was very young and was probably much lighter than the dex states it is because it had not eaten a considerable amount of soil to be that heavy that point (it had just hatched from an egg after all).

It's like how in the real world, animals of the same species could vary in size drastically. Same with humans. I mean, people come in drastically different sizes and body types, some people are freakishly tall exceeding well above 6 feet in height while some people are rather small barely exceeding 5 feet in height. Some Charizard for all we know could be very tiny, or some could be massive like the one Ash had. The dex statements of height and weight are likely averages based on measurements made from many specimens of that Pokemon: individuals could vary massively in size and weight. In the real world, we have animals of drastically different sizes themselves, even though they tend to float around the same average size more often than not.

Also worth noting, as I believe I said in a post a while ago, is that I also am of the belief that the Pokedex data is stuff written by human scientists. The Pokedex is not some absolute word of God and as I said, it's based on conclusions and observations made by professors and researchers, and what is written in it is based on what multiple researchers tested and measured based on their studies: in science, there is always room for error and humans cannot make absolutely perfect assumptions about everything despite their best efforts to understand the world around them. As such, the height and weight values are not the same for every single individual of a Pokemon: and they are mere averages written down based on the recordings many scientists made of testing various individuals of that Pokemon in question: some individuals could be much larger than the dex recording, and some could be a lot smaller than that too. It's not to be taken at face value and is merely a conclusion drawn based on what science has researched on those so far in the Pokemon world. That's my personal take on it, really: but yes, the Pokedex seems nonsensical, but that's because what's in it is rooted in scientific observation and hypothesis and is still created by human beings.

Despite what's shown in battle, the 3D models in the games are stored in scale - they're partially de-scaled in battle so the larger mons don't overwhelm the screen and the smaller mons are still visible. They're consistent with human models as well, and are all stored in metric units. So that's as canonical as it gets. At least all the models I've seen are consistent with the Pokédex entries, what's inconsistent is the way these are taken. For example, a lot of quadrupedals, like the Beast trio, seem to be measured on height, while others like Furret itself are measured on length. A common place when discussing sizes is Furret being larger than Charizard, but the truth is that Furret reaches 1.8m including tail, while Charizard's height is 1.7m when standing in its feet, excluding tail at all.
I ripped the animations from the game and made this gif a while ago, but the flames are messed up. Sorry for that.
For those curious, Charizard's full length is about 3.6m and its wingspan is about 2.5m. Mega-X's tail is slightly shorter, giving it a full length of 3.4m. and Mega-Y's tail and wings are much larger, hitting a wingspan of 3.8m and a full length of 4.5m. They're all listed as the same size because their main body and limbs don't change much.
Another pic I did a while ago was this one with several aquatic (not necessarily Water-type) Pokémon.

Despite what's shown in battle, the 3D models in the games are stored in scale - they're partially de-scaled in battle so the larger mons don't overwhelm the screen and the smaller mons are still visible.
I actually enjoyed a lot how in Let's Go they actually *kept* the real scale comparison. Possibly cause being a Switch game, on a TV you can actually appreciate the mastodontic Onix of Brock looking at your puny Pikachu and then proceed to be murdered by a blob with some grass on its head anyway

Still hoping they keep this aspect in Sw/Sh... some of the "adjustments" done to fit Pokemon on the 3ds screen really look absurd in actual battles, expecially in doubles :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)