Resource 1v1 Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
As much as I like Araquanid, I think B+ is a bit extreme. Some notes:
edits are red
my text is green

P much everything else that I didn't mention was on point, though. B-/B is a suitable placement imo. And since you mentioned the comparison to Scarf Porygon-Z on discord, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to dropping that down to B/B- on the sets vr, either.
What about the Pokemon in those tiers he didn't mention?
Also yeah it does need to be ranked somewhere in B- or B. It certainly is better than the Pokemon it is placed with, and the Pokémon in the C tiers. It's not like, downright scary so it shouldn't be any farther than B.

As much as I like Araquanid, I think B+ is a bit extreme. Some notes:
edits are red
my text is green

P much everything else that I didn't mention was on point, though. B-/B is a suitable placement imo. And since you mentioned the comparison to Scarf Porygon-Z on discord, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to dropping that down to B/B- on the sets vr, either.
Very much appreciate that you took the time to correct me when I was wrong, but at the same time I'd like to give a more in-depth reasoning to my analysis in regards to some matchups

mGyarados: Outrage into -1 Outrage doesn't ever 2hko, and your lunge 2hkoes if he decides to mega. non-mega Gyarados will almost always 3hko with outrage, and z liquidation into liquidation is a 50/50 to kill (but I'm basing this off a 252 HP / 252+ Attack set, which is very unlikely to come on ladder or in tours). With crunch it's a bit different but you still mostly win, since if they non-mega into mega the first attack doesn't get the STAB boost, so you still get 3hkoed. I should do some tests for this matchup since it's kind of a mess.

mMetagross: Zen Headbutt could become a problem mostly for the 30% flinch chance, otherwise lunge into z hydro should still be a reliable win (unless he's, you know, 252 HP / 252+ Attack, which is also unlikely)

Primarina: the max SpA primas are basically 10% of all the sets on ladder, so unlikely to count it as ML. Besides, I don't have to mirror coat right away, if I z liquidation into mirror coat they don't get the torrent boost so they can't 2hko. On the physically defensive side, z liquidation into double liquidation always kill, while they only 3hko with moonblast 15% of the time. I'm pretty sure this is a MW

mAltaria: I can just mirror coat the special ones, but yeah physical ones do kinda bop me, even though those are just 13% of them.

Togekiss: Charm is 5% usage, most non-scarf toge use z twave with nasty plot

Incineroar: yeah forgot about fake out

mMawile: yeah forgot about Intimidate

Necrozma: forgot they are faster so they can just Iron Defense in my face t1, also specs I usually use the movesets paste and the specs one is a 40/60 with that spread

Garchomp: this matchup (and the mGyarados one) kinda suffer from the change in EVs TDA helped me with.

Nothing to add other than that. B+ might be too much probably because of the fact that it only runs one set, but that also goes for Magearna (and it's still S tier). Still, I'd like to do some matchup comparisons between it and mons of that same tier, to have a more accurate comparison of where it should be placed.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Very much appreciate that you took the time to correct me when I was wrong, but at the same time I'd like to give a more in-depth reasoning to my analysis in regards to some matchups

mGyarados: Outrage into -1 Outrage doesn't ever 2hko, and your lunge 2hkoes if he decides to mega. non-mega Gyarados will almost always 3hko with outrage, and z liquidation into liquidation is a 50/50 to kill (but I'm basing this off a 252 HP / 252+ Attack set, which is very unlikely to come on ladder or in tours). With crunch it's a bit different but you still mostly win, since if they non-mega into mega the first attack doesn't get the STAB boost, so you still get 3hkoed. I should do some tests for this matchup since it's kind of a mess.

-1 252+ Atk Araquanid Lunge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gyarados-Mega: 120-144 (36.2 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Again, you forgot Intimidate

mMetagross: Zen Headbutt could become a problem mostly for the 30% flinch chance, otherwise lunge into z hydro should still be a reliable win (unless he's, you know, 252 HP / 252+ Attack, which is also unlikely)

Zen is 20%, also he can opt to not Mega to not lose Atk from Lunge. Additionally, if they're bulked for +1 Gyarados Crunch, then they live Lunge + HV (Hydro Vortex) and can just 3HKO you.

Primarina: the max SpA primas are basically 10% of all the sets on ladder, so unlikely to count it as ML. Besides, I don't have to mirror coat right away, if I z liquidation into mirror coat they don't get the torrent boost so they can't 2hko. On the physically defensive side, z liquidation into double liquidation always kill, while they only 3hko with moonblast 15% of the time. I'm pretty sure this is a MW

Max Spa can just Sub for Torrent if you don't MC. Physdef gets extra dmg with OO (more than Moonblast) off of getting the Torrent boost

mAltaria: I can just mirror coat the special ones, but yeah physical ones do kinda bop me, even though those are just 13% of them.

Mirror Coat isn't OHKOing them, and they just Roost off the damage

Togekiss: Charm is 5% usage, most non-scarf toge use z twave with nasty plot

Fair enough, I suppose.

Necrozma: forgot they are faster so they can just Iron Defense in my face t1, also specs I usually use the movesets paste and the specs one is a 40/60 with that spread

208+ SpA Choice Specs Necrozma Prismatic Laser vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Araquanid: 322-379 (94.7 - 111.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
Just over 2/3, with the chance of a crit bringing that up to about 72%

Nothing to add other than that. B+ might be too much probably because of the fact that it only runs one set, but that also goes for Magearna (and it's still S tier). Still, I'd like to do some matchup comparisons between it and mons of that same tier, to have a more accurate comparison of where it should be placed.
QC 1/3 when implemented :bloblul:

Good day everyone, I have a new Pokémon friend here to show you.
This isn't really a nom, I just wanted your thoughts on the viability of this guy.

Crawdaunt! He is a Water/Dark type btw.
Stats: 63 / 120 / 85 / 90 / 55 / 55

So what's good about this thing? Is this a joke?

Adaptability: This is the ability that makes P-Z busted. With a 2x STAB multiplier, Crabhammer and Z-Crabhammer hit like a truck. So much so that you can consider this crayfish guy an "offensive Araquanid."

Movepool: I've included some notable moves here.
Physical: Crabhammer, Aqua Jet, Knock Off, Crunch, Rock Tomb, Rock Slide, Superpower, X-Scissor, Counter
Special: Surf, Sludge Wave, Icy Wind, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Dark Pulse, Snarl
Status: Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, Iron Defense, Switcheroo, Taunt

Main flaw:

Poor defense and speed: Why it also struggles sometimes in UU in a nutshell. With a base 55 speed, Crawdaunt can be 229 at most. This is just enough to beat slower threats, but faster guys could easily abuse this. That brings me to the purpose of this post: is Crawdaunt free elo?

Conclusion:

While being almost nonexistent to all of those Zeraoras and Lopunnies, this thing can rip apart slow guys and stall sets with its nice movepool. It can put lots of pressure on Sableye (prankster vs. dark type), Chansey, and Heatran (not fast grassium though). I can sort of imagine a more defensive set coming together with access to ID, Counter, and Snarl. You might think it sucks compared to the other water types but it has access to an immediate Adaptability Z-Crabhammer that could OHKO Conkeldurr (yeah ik hes irrelevant but that's for reference).

Anyways, with stuff like Luxray ranked in untested, what are your thoughts?

Type: Null

C+ to A-

I've been warned by Cash not to say this, but you can't have your career ended when you never had one to begin with.

Type: Null is an incredibly versatile stall mon, that has the defenses and health to force nothing better than a 3 hit ko without stat changes on either side against an incredible number of physical mons, which is essentially a win for team null if they don't run taunt or an attack boosting move. The same theory applies against weak special attackers, because confide is able to deal with quite a few special attackers without calm mind, and even a few with. Type: null is beastly and arguably the best stall mon that doesn't rely on hax (Other than rolls I guess), which helps to clear your conscious after using another A- rank mon like jumpluff. Type: Null almost feels like a speed trap mon to face in team preview because it's not too often that more than one member of a team beats it, and it can even 3-0 teams that don't choose to build around it. Flame charge as a final move is just for a faster speed to rest, because Type: Null is often a pp war. Unlike other "pp war" mons, Null cannot be crit, because he has that big boi battle armor, and thus reigns supreme over the punks of stall. Although it might seems sacrilegious to put Type: Null as an A- mon, let's remember that we have Lando there, which I would consider both less used and less versatile.

Type: Null hit list: Magearna, Lele, Magnezone, Metagross without hammer arm, Slowbro, Aegislash, Gardevoir (unless taunt), and even more if your opponent is stupid. And it's 1v1, so they probably are. And these are just the S+ to A- rank mons, in just two sets. Landorus beats the same number of S+ to A- through like 4 sets, so Type: Null is at least more anti-meta than Lando, although this boi EATS hits from lower-rank mons. Personally, I would consider Type: Null a better M-Bro, but I don't wanna get banned for saying that, so don't quote me on that. But I digress. Type: Null for A- from C+. Come after me for this; I'll bring my Null.

Code:
Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish / Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Confide
- Rest
- Flame Charge
OR
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Iron Defense  
- Confide  
- Rest  
- Flame Charge

C+ to A-

I've been warned by Cash not to say this, but you can't have your career ended when you never had one to begin with.

Type: Null is an incredibly versatile stall mon, that has the defenses and health to force nothing better than a 3 hit ko without stat changes on either side against an incredible number of physical mons, which is essentially a win for team null if they don't run taunt or an attack boosting move. The same theory applies against weak special attackers, because confide is able to deal with quite a few special attackers without calm mind, and even a few with. Type: null is beastly and arguably the best stall mon that doesn't rely on hax (Other than rolls I guess), which helps to clear your conscious after using another A- rank mon like jumpluff. Type: Null almost feels like a speed trap mon to face in team preview because it's not too often that more than one member of a team beats it, and it can even 3-0 teams that don't choose to build around it. Flame charge as a final move is just for a faster speed to rest, because Type: Null is often a pp war. Unlike other "pp war" mons, Null cannot be crit, because he has that big boi battle armor, and thus reigns supreme over the punks of stall. Although it might seems sacrilegious to put Type: Null as an A- mon, let's remember that we have Lando there, which I would consider both less used and less versatile.

Type: Null hit list: Magearna, Lele, Magnezone, Metagross without hammer arm, Slowbro, Aegislash, Gardevoir (unless taunt), and even more if your opponent is stupid. And it's 1v1, so they probably are. And these are just the S+ to A- rank mons, in just two sets. Landorus beats the same number of S+ to A- through like 4 sets, so Type: Null is at least more anti-meta than Lando, although this boi EATS hits from lower-rank mons. Personally, I would consider Type: Null a better M-Bro, but I don't wanna get banned for saying that, so don't quote me on that. But I digress. Type: Null for A- from C+. Come after me for this; I'll bring my Null.

Code:
Impish / Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Confide
- Rest
- Flame Charge
OR
Careful Nature 
- Iron Defense 
- Confide 
- Rest 
- Flame Charge
While I definitely agree that type:null's rank doesn't serve him justice, it still seems pretty bold to suggest a jump from the C tiers to the A tiers. I figure Type: Null could probably rise up to B/B+ and then see how it accomodates with the meta after that before deciding if it gets promoted once more.
His main flaw is probably the fact that it can only carry one set. Landorus T's strength comes from his ability Intimidate + the fact that it can run at least 3 different viable sets, each with its own variation. and if you take a closer look at its matchups, most of these mons can counter type: null by changing one move
zardX can run belly drum
Lele can just z calm mind to restore back its stats after you confide her enough, and then she can just calm mind to +4 and finish you off (since cm and confide have same pp)
Magnezone can run metal sound
Aegislash out-pps you (at least, the good set does) since it can't hit you you don't get the bonus Rest PP
and pretty much anything else can wall you with taunt.
the argument of mSlowbro vs. Type: Null boils down to the fact that TypeNull has slightly more natural bulk, more pp and less weaknesses, while mSlowbro has a more reliable way to boost its Special Defense and has immunity to taunt.

If you wanna hear mine, with Lopunny and other fighting types lowering in usage, taunt being kinda less prevalent and bdrum zardX being less and less a thing, I could see type null rising to B/B+, but nothing more

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

C+ to A-

Code:
Impish / Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Confide
- Rest
- Flame Charge
OR
Careful Nature 
- Iron Defense 
- Confide 
- Rest 
- Flame Charge
Type null bad. Doesn’t actually beat most of the examples you’ve listed, and being shut down by Taunt is a huge weakness. Also, the set you gave is bad. Run:

EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Confide
- Rest
- Flame Charge

Because this lets you actually consistently beat Genesect and Char Y, while not losing any matchups.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
So. I have one more nomination. Haxorus had it's turn, now it's this Pokemon's turn.
Regular Thundurus for C or C+. Well, here is reasons why.

First off, this Thundurus's viability will come off of this moveset.
252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed (for stuff like Kartana and Jolly mons), 4 sp. defense.
Ability: Prankster
Item: Electrium Z
Moves: Thunder
Substitute
Nasty Plot
Hidden Power Flying/Hidden Power Water

With that moveset, it is capable of many things. Substitute is for stuff like Magerna, Z moves, ect. And since it has prankster, it has no need to worry about faster Z moves. Nasty Plot allows for some huge power. It allows it to bust lots of stuff. Thunder is it's main stab move, but it's really for the Z move. With it, it can beat Kartana, Mega Gyrados, Primirina, and more. HP flying can be stab #2, while hidden power water is for stuff like Golem or Donphan. But who knows though, there could be other stuff I'm missing.

Struggles with: Charizard X, Dragonite, Scarf Victini, Mega Loupunny, Jumpluff, Haxorus, Zygarde, and yeah that's what I know. Now, it doesn't blast the metagame, be super versatile, or stuff, so I'm not nominating it for anything past C+. Try it out yourself if you are below 1300s, and I promise you will soar up the ladder. If you are 1300s or higher though, it is pretty decent. However, it still does enough to be in C or C+. I think I may be wrong on the moveset and versatility though.

Last edited:
His main flaw is probably the fact that it can only carry one set. Landorus T's strength comes from his ability Intimidate + the fact that it can run at least 3 different viable sets, each with its own variation. and if you take a closer look at its matchups, most of these mons can counter type: null by changing one move
zardX can run belly drum
Lele can just z calm mind to restore back its stats after you confide her enough, and then she can just calm mind to +4 and finish you off (since cm and confide have same pp)
Magnezone can run metal sound
Aegislash out-pps you (at least, the good set does) since it can't hit you you don't get the bonus Rest PP
and pretty much anything else can wall you with taunt.
the argument of mSlowbro vs. Type: Null boils down to the fact that TypeNull has slightly more natural bulk, more pp and less weaknesses, while mSlowbro has a more reliable way to boost its Special Defense and has immunity to taunt.
The beauty of Null is that he really only needs one of 2 sets and still beats everything, whereas Lando's use of 3 sets shows how little coverage it has in comparison. And sure, mons can change a move and beat null, but it forces them to change a move, which often loses them other matchups. Even the prospect of a null is enough to shift a team around

Type null bad. Doesn’t actually beat most of the examples you’ve listed, and being shut down by Taunt is a huge weakness.
Okay but it does and isn't bad, or at least isn't in my opinion. And yee, but it forces at least one mon on a team to run taunt to take care of null, and they might feel threatened to pull that mon in team preview. Now you're facing a mon that is missing one of its normal moves in favor for taunt, which, assuming it doesn't threaten you, just makes the mon weaker in the matchup. Also thanks for the set. I'll make sure to have that set being the one representing it for the A- nom.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nomming Krookodile from B- to B

Krookodile is extremely similar to Incineroar, being an Intimidate user with access to Bulk Up. However, Krookodile has some qualities that separate it from Incineroar and grants it a certain advantage

>Krookodile has access to a Ground-type Z move, not Dark-type, which generally is better coverage in the 1v1 metagame
>Thanks to this, alongside Rock Tomb, Krookodile can beat several Pokemon the main Incineroar sets cannot, such as Magearna, Zygarde, Mega Lopunny, Mega Tyranitar, Heatran, Mega Aggron, Garchomp, Donphan, Golem, and Crustle, while still maintaining good matchups against other common threats such as Charizard X, Aegislash, Magnezone, Mega Metagross, Zeraora, and Mega Mawile
>This is balanced by Krookodile's inability to deal with threats such Dragonite, Mega Charizard Y, Scarf Porygon Z, Tapu Lele, offensive Mew, Meloetta, Genesect, Celesteela, Naganadel and Mega Slowbro.
>Krookodile also can fit on Taunt in its moveset much more easily than Incineroar, which requires Fake Out, Dark- and Fire-type STABs, and Bulk Up to make its most optimal spread, giving Krookodile additional positive matchups against threats such as Jumpluff, Type: Null, Chansey, and Pyukumuku.

In summary, Incineroar and Krookodile follow the same archetype, but, unlike Donphan and Golem, they trade off matchups pretty evenly, instead of one being better only in niche situations.

So yeah. If anyone has any questions, respond to this post, but i have a final to take rn.

Last edited:
Nomming Volbeat to C-
There isnt really mich to say about this mon. You have to not play against Dark Types, not get Crit, predict right whether the attacker is physical or special and dont forget to Taunt potential non Dark-Type taunters if possible.
Main reason for this nom is the fact that Illumise is in C- and Volbeat not even nominated.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Nomming Volbeat to C-
There isnt really mich to say about this mon. You have to not play against Dark Types, not get Crit, predict right whether the attacker is physical or special and dont forget to Taunt potential non Dark-Type taunters if possible.
Main reason for this nom is the fact that Illumise is in C- and Volbeat not even nominated
Illumise is present and Volbeat is not because Illumise does nearly (if not literally) everything Volbeat does, but more.

Illumise is present and Volbeat is not because Illumise does nearly (if not literally) everything Volbeat does, but more.
But I have not seen a single Illumise outside of the Combo between them two. Maybe I just dont remember, but as I said I don not think I have seen a single Illumise without a Volbeat.
Illumises teammates:
[22:06:25] 361 Fan: .usage Illumise teammates 1v1

[22:06:25] *TIBot: Volbeat +40.664% | Meowstic +28.096% | Gallade-Mega +11.161% | Tapu Fini +9.375% | Jumpluff +7.920% | Tapu Lele +6.122% | Noivern +5.849% | Aerodactyl-Mega +5.239% | Altaria-Mega +4.341% | Crustle +3.735% | Breloom +3.011% | Froslass +2.487

Last edited:

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
But I have not seen a single Illumise outside of the Combo between them two. Maybe I just dont remember, but as I said I don not think I have seen a single Illumise without a Volbeat.
Illumises teammates:
[22:06:25] 361 Fan: .usage Illumise teammates 1v1

[22:06:25] *TIBot: Volbeat +40.664% | Meowstic +28.096% | Gallade-Mega +11.161% | Tapu Fini +9.375% | Jumpluff +7.920% | Tapu Lele +6.122% | Noivern +5.849% | Aerodactyl-Mega +5.239% | Altaria-Mega +4.341% | Crustle +3.735% | Breloom +3.011% | Froslass +2.487
ryyjyywyy uses them together because Species Clause doesn't allow you to use multiple.

Frankly, it's a bit of an odd situation, because Volbeat has objectively no use besides being used alongside Illumise to use Z-Confide, which is something Illumise can already do. I'll see what the other VR Council members have to say when voting time comes.

Speaking of voting time, it's in 5 days!! To everyone else who has nominations that they want to be voted on right now, be sure drop them here (or in the Sets VR), or else they'll have to wait for the end of next cycle!

Alright, time to drop some real hot takes here. I have been playing 1v1 for a while now, (thanks elo) and I've fine tuned my team to the point of that it's all I use, and I haven't changed it in more than three weeks. And while two members of that team aren't important, one of them is. Specifically, I'm nomming Bulu for B. Why? Well, for his strength and good physical bulk. Specifically, this set.

Banded Bulu
EVs-252 hp, 252 atk, and 4 spe (For outspeeding other no invest 75's)
Ability- Grassy terrain (obviously)
Item- Band
Moves- Wood Hammer
Superpower
Zen Headbutt
Stone Miss

The reason I use this set is because of the giant strength it has. Bulu already has fantastic attack, and with a 120 bp stab move move, it would already wreck. But with grassy terrain, it gets a 50% damage buff. That would already be absurd, but with Band too, it gets to stupid levels of power. it KOs many resists through sheer power alone. For example, depending on the roll and defense invest, It kills Haxorus in one Wood hammer. It also kills Lando through intimidate, and It does over 70% percent through Aigislash's shield form. And it is the most consistent counter to Gyra I've found. I have yet to lose to one. Bulu's Wood Hammer kills through both the intimidate and neutrality when they inevitably try for Ddance in non-mega form. And a big benefit of Bulu is it's resistance to sleep powder and the like. The only sleep in the meta that affects it is Gengar Hypnosis, (Which doesn't matter because of poison stab) and Yawn. plus, it can win some dicey matchups by sheer power alone. For example, Type Null. Null has it's huge defense, but Bulu's power can overwhelm it. And having a good natural defense is very useful. It survives fake out+ice punch from m-Medicham and fake out-return from lopunny, and it easily survives anything Zeraora can throw at it. (With the exception of some very stupid sets like firium Z) It can tank non stab super effective coverage and very strong neutral attacks. The last of it's amazing traits is it's ability to pair up. virtually everything Bulu is weak to, M-Gyra covers. (Mega Char, Drago, Greninja, Meloetta, All of the sturdy traps, and Venasaur M, to name a few.) While I know that doesn't count when specifically talking about Bulu, but both pairing with and demolishing one of the best in the tier is very useful. But Bulu isn't all sunshine and rainbows. It has some serious problems. Most important is lack of Fairy stab. It sucks to not have that. And it's ass spd and spe really suck too. It loses to a whole lot of stuff because it's ohkod and is outspeed. Bulu also loses hard to 2/4 of S tier, and usually loses to one.
IMO, Bulu deserves B. He has absurd power and good physical bulk, but has garbo speed and spd. He loses to a lot of influential pokemon, but he can also muscle through a lot of his losing battles with his pure strength. C+ just isn't really representative of his viability. He has a niche that he's best at, (which is a slow nuker with good physical bulk, or just a non Z-Crystal wallbreaker) need unlike most of C+. He has some huge problems, but you can work around those with your other two team members. All in all, Bulu is completely viable, although niche, so I feel that B is fair.

M-Gyra covers. (Mega Char, Drago, Greninja, Meloetta, All of the sturdy traps, and Venasaur M, to name a few.)
Well uh. No. Gyara doesn't reliably beat the Zards, it struggles especially with Zard Y (WoW/HP Electric, SBeam). Assuming we're running Taunt, DD, and two attacking moves (Taunt if you'd want to beat Venu despite it being a disadvantageous MU). If you really want to beat the Zards, then you'd have to run Waterfall, Dnite is on the list, so you'll obviously need Outrage in conjunction with Mold Breaker to beat it. Here's the inconsistency part. Gyara struggles with Melo unless you run Crunch, so to beat that list you need 5 moves.

Tbh, Bulu's Specially Defensive set is Bulu's best set. As you mentioned, Bulu has lackluster SpD, but by adding EVs to it, it can beat Gardevoir, Lele, Meloetta, and Gren. Grassy Terrain+Wood Hammer despite having no attack EVs still kills the thing you need to kill. It can still kill Non-Flyinium Lando, kill Aegislash with the help of Taunt, and still is able to beat Gyara.

I support the Bulu rise, and also, this is like the third Bulu nom this cycle

Well uh. No. Gyara doesn't reliably beat the Zards, it struggles especially with Zard Y (WoW/HP Electric, SBeam). Assuming we're running Taunt, DD, and two attacking moves (Taunt if you'd want to beat Venu despite it being a disadvantageous MU). If you really want to beat the Zards, then you'd have to run Waterfall, Dnite is on the list, so you'll obviously need Outrage in conjunction with Mold Breaker to beat it. Here's the inconsistency part. Gyara struggles with Melo unless you run Crunch, so to beat that list you need 5 moves.

Tbh, Bulu's Specially Defensive set is Bulu's best set. As you mentioned, Bulu has lackluster SpD, but by adding EVs to it, it can beat Gardevoir, Lele, Meloetta, and Gren. Grassy Terrain+Wood Hammer despite having no attack EVs still kills the thing you need to kill. It can still kill Non-Flyinium Lando, kill Aegislash with the help of Taunt, and still is able to beat Gyara.

You only need Outrage to beat zardY, as that and waterfall do exactly the same damage.
Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Crunch
- Taunt
this set right here is as best as it gets to beating zardY. 88 Speed ensures you outspeed zardY at +1 while 252+ attack means you kill 0/0 zard, which is the most common by a large margin
+1 252+ Atk Gyarados-Mega Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 301-355 (101.3 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
If they have will-o-wisp, the spdef ensures you dont die to a solar beam even after 2 burns so you can still dd and 2hko with outrage.
Also Rock Tomb and Flame Charge are not an issue since you tank those + solar beam
0- Atk Charizard-Mega-Y Rock Tomb vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Gyarados-Mega: 38-45 (10.5 - 12.4%) -- possible 9HKO
252+ SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam vs. 120 HP / 48 SpD Gyarados-Mega: 256-302 (70.9 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Of course, the 8/148 bulked zardY is a spread that tanks +1 outrage 100% which means zardY can easily 2hko, but that only pops up 4% of the time.

Also an addition from my part: capitalizing on what a mon has rather than making up for what it has not generally tends to work better. I don't know much about Bulu so I'm just talking about general experience. No problems with people running AV/Spdef or scarf bulu, but band seems to be a good choice nonetheless.
In addition, multiple noms for the same Pokemon only serve to strengthen the belief that such a mon deserves a rise, so as long as it's properly backed up, I wouldn't discourage it

Gyra could run outrage and do just as well against both of the Zards, but also I'm not referring to any specific set. Depending on what you run, it can kill all of those reliably.(except maybe M-Venasaur, a bit of a misnomer on my part) And I don't know about a spd set, I've never used it. So I can't really say how good it is, but I have used a Band set so I can talk about that one. And although it beats those special attackers, the huge loss in power from both the band and the investment probably isn't worth it. sure it can survive more, but if it can't kill it, then what's the point of losing by getting killed in two turns instead of one? Also, I'm pretty sure my Bulu can survive Lele's Z move and then kill. (Edit 2, Yes, Bulu can survive it due to Grassy Terrain coming out last)

Last edited:

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
As of this post, no more nominations shall be counted for this cycle. Further nominations from this point onwards will go into the next cycle. The deadline for next cycle's nominations will be determined once the VR Council has finished voting on all the nominations.

Just doing one post this time instead of two since most people who look at the Sets VR thread is probably looking at this one, too-

Aggron UR > C/C+/B : Wrath of Alakazam (post here) and Jamez155 (post here)

Haxorus B- > B/higher : superstrike66 (post here) and Jerry hillenburg (post here)

Regice UR > B-/B : Osra

Alomomola C- > UT : dom

Shedinja UR > D
Tapu Fini B+ > A-
Sawk B- > C+ ::::: all by TDA
Entei C > C+
Diggersby UT > C- : also by Shyom

Porygon-Z A+ > S
Zygarda A > A+
Magearna S > A+/A
Zapdos B- > B/B+ : : : : : : : : all by lolgod2
Gyarados-Mega S > A+
Mawile-Mega B > A
Gallade-Mega C+ > C+/higher
Riolu D > UR

Decidueye UR > UT : Wrath of Alakazam

Cofagrigus UR > Anything : ThePanthar

Ambipom C+ > B-
Whimsicott B- > B : : both by SilvioGiovanna

Pheromosa C+ > B-
Stakataka D > C
Lopunny-Mega B+ > B : : : : all by discoplaygames
Scizor-Mega C+ > C

Tapu Bulu C+ > B-/higher : by Osra (post here) and Patricick (post here)

Sylveon D > C : CKBTW

Blissey C > C+ : Aph9898

Thundurus UT > C+ : Jamez155 (post here) and Jerry hillenburg (post here)

Pinsir-Mega B > B- : TDA

Aerodactyl-Mega UR > C+/B- : TheShadowClaw

Eelektross UR > UT : Shyom

Espeon UR > UT/C/C- : Shyom (post here) and Osra (post here)

Weavile UR > C : Eriey

Aegislash A- > A
Magneton B > B-/lower
Camerupt-Mega B- > C+ : : : : all by ayedan
Kyurem B- > B

Serperior C > B-/B/B+ : discoplaygames (post here) and Chickenpie2 (post here)

Magnezone A > A-
Zapdos B- > C+
Lilligant C > C- : : : : all by AllFourtyOne
Type:Null C+ > B-

Victini B > B+ : Eriey

Araquanid D > B+ : stableprince569

Milotic UR > UT : JustANoobie

Golisopod UR > C-/C/C+
Swampert-Mega B- > B/B+ : : both by Chickenpie2

Type:Null C+ > A- : Waylaid

Krookodile B- > B : Alakazam

Volbeat UR > C- : 187 Fan
Life Orb Zeraora B- > B : Eriey

Mixed Electrium Zeraora UR > B : TDA

Grassium Tapu Bulu C+ > B-
Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu C > C+ : : : all by Osra
Assault Vest Tapu Bulu C > C+

Z-Thunder Wave Togekiss A- > B : ryyjyywyy

Toxic Stall Togedemaru UR > C-/C
Groundium Zygarde-10% UR > C/C+ : : : all by Lost Heros
SubBlaze Infernape UR > C

Grassium Heatran C+ > B-
Custap Berry Porygon-Z UR > C-/C/C+/B-
Psychium Serperior UR > C : : : : all by AllFourtyOne
Haban Berry Kommo-o UR > C-

Dragonium Garchomp B > B- : Eriey

E: let me know if I missed any nominations-

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)