Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Katy

Banned deucer.
Hello,

Misty Terrain effects dragon type z-moves as well and protects grounded pokemon (mons which aren't flying or levitate) from the full damage.

As Example:
with Terrain
252 Atk Garchomp Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex in Misty Terrain: 108-127 (35.5 - 41.7%) -- 80.7% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
without Terrain
252 Atk Garchomp Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 216-255 (71 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

I was out of the game for months, so to gain a bit of knowledge of the meta, I saw a lot of videos from OUPL and I saw a bunch of teams running mega Latias, especially with CM + Psyshock/Ice Beam instead of Stored Power or something like Reflect Type
what changed in the meta for this? why run it instead of mega latios?

I was out of the game for months, so to gain a bit of knowledge of the meta, I saw a lot of videos from OUPL and I saw a bunch of teams running mega Latias, especially with CM + Psyshock/Ice Beam instead of Stored Power or something like Reflect Type
what changed in the meta for this? why run it instead of mega latios?
well each move on mega latias has its upsides. psyshock allows you to break specially defensive haze toxapex, as with leftovers and without any burns stored power fails to get the job one. ice beam is important to immediately threaten garchomp, kartana, and landorus-t, which can be very important since sd variants of all three are very strong in the current meta. lastly reflect type hasn't been used much lately, as refresh lets mega latias play more recklessly against toxapex and heatran. though reflect type still helps with tyranitar and mega tyranitar, which may be useful in certain teams. stored power is still the preferred option fyi, but psyshock is perfectly viable too!

as for mega latios, mega latias's bulk is far superior allowing it to be much better as a calm mind sweeper.

well each move on mega latias has its upsides. psyshock allows you to break specially defensive haze toxapex, as with leftovers and without any burns stored power fails to get the job one. ice beam is important to immediately threaten garchomp, kartana, and landorus-t, which can be very important since sd variants of all three are very strong in the current meta. lastly reflect type hasn't been used much lately, as refresh lets mega latias play more recklessly against toxapex and heatran. though reflect type still helps with tyranitar and mega tyranitar, which may be useful in certain teams. stored power is still the preferred option fyi, but psyshock is perfectly viable too!

as for mega latios, mega latias's bulk is far superior allowing it to be much better as a calm mind sweeper.
yeah, i was thinking about break haze pex with +1 Psyshock followed by a unboosted one should do the trick, but in the long run, stored power is very very threatening if a few boost are acquired. I was thinking of reflect type for setting up against heatran, ferrothorn or even mage, but is more easy overwhelm them and run a coverage move like Ice beam as mega latias is a good check of the three dudes you mentioned :)
i'll give it a shot
thank you dude :)

I’m bad and want to run Eruption Heatran. Should I be looking to run a sun team or TR to be “better”?
I'd use scarf personally to get surprise KO's with it, but I don't think either of those 2 playstyles are "better" per say. It'd be easier to use Char Y + Eruption Tran, I believe, as you don't need to build the whole team around them for it to work.

Is a single wish passer (particularly, Chansey) sufficient for stall teams with a mon that has no recovery (e.g Mega Aggron)?

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Is Magearna balanced?
So, uh, this is kind of a complex question, particularly because “balance” is a subjective thing overall. My personal opinion is that yes, it is balanced. Magearna is extremely versatile (look at the sets VR), but all of its sets have some sort of counter, and each have their own setbacks. Offensive variants lack the significant bulk of other sets, while defensive sets have the tendency to lose momentum against smarter players that can play around them.

Is a single wish passer (particularly, Chansey) sufficient for stall teams with a mon that has no recovery (e.g Mega Aggron)?
I’d say so. If you don’t have the slots for two Wishes, then feel free to run just one. Just play a bit more conservatively with both mons (which you should already be doing if you play stall).

When using Muk-A on stall, is it okay to replace Chansey's only attack with wish? I understand this makes it weak to taunt Koko, but could I make up for that by checking taunt Koko with Quagsire? Would it be better to run a recycle/gluttony/figy set on Muk-A so Chansey doesn't need wish? I feel this would neuter Muk if it ever got tricked or knocked, but at least you can pursuit Blace if it does that.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
When using Muk-A on stall, is it okay to replace Chansey's only attack with wish? I understand this makes it weak to taunt Koko, but could I make up for that by checking taunt Koko with Quagsire? Would it be better to run a recycle/gluttony/figy set on Muk-A so Chansey doesn't need wish? I feel this would neuter Muk if it ever got tricked or knocked, but at least you can pursuit Blace if it does that.
Using Chansey without Seismic Toss is always a bad idea, but you can fit Wish through other means, which are completely acceptable. I would not advise using Alolan Muk, but if you do then I think that set would not be optimal and rather one focused on removing problematic special attackers would be better to focus on.

When it comes to stall, you're probably better off using Unaware Clef as your wish passer since it works better with protect and leftovers. Although Chansey may pass bigger wishes, it doesn't like taking passive damage from Sandstorm or status while using a two turn recovery move.

Also, using a mon with no way of dealing damage is almost always a bad idea especially in ladder where you often play the same players as they can easily set up on it once they figure out the set.

Using Chansey without Seismic Toss is always a bad idea, but you can fit Wish through other means, which are completely acceptable. I would not advise using Alolan Muk, but if you do then I think that set would not be optimal and rather one focused on removing problematic special attackers would be better to focus on.
I was going to use Muk-A primarily because I'm having a hard time finding a reliable Blace counter. Clefable needs a lot of SpD to avoid the 2HKO from specs blace, and the 2HKO from ghostium z and flamethrower, to the point that it can't reliably check Hawlucha, Mega Loppuny, and Mega Heracross. Chansey can't do anything to Blace, and Pyukumuku is in the same boat as Clefable (and it also relies on spite because of sub, and you can't trap Blace).

Do you have any better suggestions? I was thinking of Hydreigon, since it doubles as a Heatran check, but it is hard to fit on stall (Heatran is usually checked by Mew or Moltres, which check Lele and Kartana respectively).

I was going to use Muk-A primarily because I'm having a hard time finding a reliable Blace counter. Clefable needs a lot of SpD to avoid the 2HKO from specs blace, and the 2HKO from ghostium z and flamethrower, to the point that it can't reliably check Hawlucha, Mega Loppuny, and Mega Heracross. Chansey can't do anything to Blace, and Pyukumuku is in the same boat as Clefable (and it also relies on spite because of sub, and you can't trap Blace).

Do you have any better suggestions? I was thinking of Hydreigon, since it doubles as a Heatran check, but it is hard to fit on stall (Heatran is usually checked by Mew or Moltres, which check Lele and Kartana respectively).
Blace kinda does a number on stall in general. Hydreigon is a good check to it that also helps vs. opposing stall matchups. If it can be used I feel like Tyranitar could also provide some support to your team while also trapping Blace. It'd be easier to help if we knew your team, btw. Admittedly, stall is not my strong suit when building.

The thing is even the sub Calm Mind Set destroys the standard Chansey set since it can't touch it and Blacepheon can just set up on it. Blacepheon just does really well against stall but I feel Unaware Clefable can at least stand a chance after Blacepheon loses loses it's Z crystal although it can still lose to sp def drops from Shadow ball.

I run a Clef set with a Calm nature and 40 Sp def to stall out Specs Koko but It also does decently well against Blacepheon as long as you Protect on the Z crystal and still does a decent job at checking Lucha and Lopunny.

Last edited:

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

SpDef Kommo-o doubles as a Blace and Tran check, as well as an MGyara check, Rocker and something that needs Wish. Just watch for Specs Psychic / Speedboosting CM’s NEN, but Protect lets you play around that and Choiced Lele.

Other than Toxapex, what other Pokemon go well with the Double Dance Reuniclus set?
Ferrothorn, Ashgren, Defensive Lando, etc. With DDReun you want to have residual damage through toxic, spikes and Rocks. Any pokemon that can consistently provide this are good parteners. You may also want ways to lure in and beat strong dark types like Tyranitar or Ash Gren, which are able to wall you and threaten you if unboosted or with a crit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)