Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

bullet punch medi, y/n? I just have no idea where on the moveset I want it, losing Ice Punch sucks. Also what nature with BP?
Generally you're gonna want to use it over Zen Headbutt as Ice Punch provides solid coverage alongside Hi Jump Kick, but as always it depends on the rest of your team.

Zen Headbutt is usually the better choice over Bullet Punch but BP is still a nice option if you're using a slower team that's lacking a proper revenge killer, since Fake Out + Bullet Punch does that quite nicely. It's also advisable to use it if you're weak to Mega Diancie.

Jolly is usually preferred since Medicham is in a crowded speed tier and Adamant is outsped by all the base 88+ speed mons who do use a positive speed nature, like Lando-T, Tapu Lele and Kyurem-Black. Adamant can still be used if these are not a threat to your team to boost your priority attacks' damage, but more often than not Jolly is still more useful since HJK and Ice Punch are still gonna be your main means of dealing damage.

Can Avalugg check SD Mawile? The strategy dex says it can check Mawile lacking iron head, but it is 2HKOed after a swords dance, and Avalugg fails to do 2/3 damage with earthquake (1/3 being done by 2 hits of rocky helmet). The situation gets worse for Avalugg if Mawile uses knock off, meaning it doesn't take damage on the second hit. Most Mawile sets are running swords dance and knock off.

Finchinator

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Past WCoP Championis the defending BW Circuit Champion
NU Leader
Why do fast special attackers such as Mega Alakazam and Ash-Greninja run Timid over Modest?
Mainly because they're both so common that they do not want to be slower than either of each other, but also there are other Pokemon such as Tapu Koko, Mega Lopunny, Weavile, regular Greninja, etc. who are in similar areas speed wise and you do not want to be slower than any of them.

Can Avalugg check SD Mawile? The strategy dex says it can check Mawile lacking iron head, but it is 2HKOed after a swords dance, and Avalugg fails to do 2/3 damage with earthquake (1/3 being done by 2 hits of rocky helmet). The situation gets worse for Avalugg if Mawile uses knock off, meaning it doesn't take damage on the second hit. Most Mawile sets are running swords dance and knock off.
It can put it at a range of health in which a Mega Mawile cannot do a ton/1v1 much due to its inability to OHKO a lot of other walls and the fact that it will die to any hit afterwards, but it is true that Mega Mawile can potentially outlast an Avalugg if it gets an SD up on the switch-in, yes.

How was the opponent's magnezone able to attack before my keldeo?

So the match went like this. I started with keldo my opponent started with beedrill. I chose calm mind my opponent used uturn and switched to magnezone. I used focus blast, the opponent used thunderbolt, attacked first and made my keldo faint!

Bear in mind that i have choice scarf with 252+ on speed.

Am i missing something here?

So the match went like this. I started with keldo my opponent started with beedrill. I chose calm mind my opponent used uturn and switched to magnezone. I used focus blast, the opponent used thunderbolt, attacked first and made my keldo faint!

If you selected Calm Mind and then Focus Blast, you definitely weren't using Choice Scarf, which locks you into a single attack, and presumably the Magnezone was.

Colonel M

Not very Cash Money of you
is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Nevermind that using Choice Scarf and Calm Mind is pretty bad unless you're purposely waiting for Knock Off fishes.

But yes the Magnezone was likely Scarf and highly doubting your Keldeo was since you switched attacks. The only other scenario is misremembering turns and moves and Knock Off was used instead at one point.

Hello,

Misty Terrain effects dragon type z-moves as well and protects grounded pokemon (mons which aren't flying or levitate) from the full damage.

As Example:
with Terrain
252 Atk Garchomp Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex in Misty Terrain: 108-127 (35.5 - 41.7%) -- 80.7% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
without Terrain
252 Atk Garchomp Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 216-255 (71 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

I was out of the game for months, so to gain a bit of knowledge of the meta, I saw a lot of videos from OUPL and I saw a bunch of teams running mega Latias, especially with CM + Psyshock/Ice Beam instead of Stored Power or something like Reflect Type
what changed in the meta for this? why run it instead of mega latios?

I was out of the game for months, so to gain a bit of knowledge of the meta, I saw a lot of videos from OUPL and I saw a bunch of teams running mega Latias, especially with CM + Psyshock/Ice Beam instead of Stored Power or something like Reflect Type
what changed in the meta for this? why run it instead of mega latios?
well each move on mega latias has its upsides. psyshock allows you to break specially defensive haze toxapex, as with leftovers and without any burns stored power fails to get the job one. ice beam is important to immediately threaten garchomp, kartana, and landorus-t, which can be very important since sd variants of all three are very strong in the current meta. lastly reflect type hasn't been used much lately, as refresh lets mega latias play more recklessly against toxapex and heatran. though reflect type still helps with tyranitar and mega tyranitar, which may be useful in certain teams. stored power is still the preferred option fyi, but psyshock is perfectly viable too!

as for mega latios, mega latias's bulk is far superior allowing it to be much better as a calm mind sweeper.

well each move on mega latias has its upsides. psyshock allows you to break specially defensive haze toxapex, as with leftovers and without any burns stored power fails to get the job one. ice beam is important to immediately threaten garchomp, kartana, and landorus-t, which can be very important since sd variants of all three are very strong in the current meta. lastly reflect type hasn't been used much lately, as refresh lets mega latias play more recklessly against toxapex and heatran. though reflect type still helps with tyranitar and mega tyranitar, which may be useful in certain teams. stored power is still the preferred option fyi, but psyshock is perfectly viable too!

as for mega latios, mega latias's bulk is far superior allowing it to be much better as a calm mind sweeper.
yeah, i was thinking about break haze pex with +1 Psyshock followed by a unboosted one should do the trick, but in the long run, stored power is very very threatening if a few boost are acquired. I was thinking of reflect type for setting up against heatran, ferrothorn or even mage, but is more easy overwhelm them and run a coverage move like Ice beam as mega latias is a good check of the three dudes you mentioned :)
i'll give it a shot
thank you dude :)

Reactions: lyd
I’m bad and want to run Eruption Heatran. Should I be looking to run a sun team or TR to be “better”?
I'd use scarf personally to get surprise KO's with it, but I don't think either of those 2 playstyles are "better" per say. It'd be easier to use Char Y + Eruption Tran, I believe, as you don't need to build the whole team around them for it to work.

Is a single wish passer (particularly, Chansey) sufficient for stall teams with a mon that has no recovery (e.g Mega Aggron)?

Is Magearna balanced?
So, uh, this is kind of a complex question, particularly because “balance” is a subjective thing overall. My personal opinion is that yes, it is balanced. Magearna is extremely versatile (look at the sets VR), but all of its sets have some sort of counter, and each have their own setbacks. Offensive variants lack the significant bulk of other sets, while defensive sets have the tendency to lose momentum against smarter players that can play around them.

Is a single wish passer (particularly, Chansey) sufficient for stall teams with a mon that has no recovery (e.g Mega Aggron)?
I’d say so. If you don’t have the slots for two Wishes, then feel free to run just one. Just play a bit more conservatively with both mons (which you should already be doing if you play stall).

When using Muk-A on stall, is it okay to replace Chansey's only attack with wish? I understand this makes it weak to taunt Koko, but could I make up for that by checking taunt Koko with Quagsire? Would it be better to run a recycle/gluttony/figy set on Muk-A so Chansey doesn't need wish? I feel this would neuter Muk if it ever got tricked or knocked, but at least you can pursuit Blace if it does that.

Finchinator

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Past WCoP Championis the defending BW Circuit Champion
NU Leader
When using Muk-A on stall, is it okay to replace Chansey's only attack with wish? I understand this makes it weak to taunt Koko, but could I make up for that by checking taunt Koko with Quagsire? Would it be better to run a recycle/gluttony/figy set on Muk-A so Chansey doesn't need wish? I feel this would neuter Muk if it ever got tricked or knocked, but at least you can pursuit Blace if it does that.
Using Chansey without Seismic Toss is always a bad idea, but you can fit Wish through other means, which are completely acceptable. I would not advise using Alolan Muk, but if you do then I think that set would not be optimal and rather one focused on removing problematic special attackers would be better to focus on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)