Unpopular opinions

They literally only have to do a few things to make the gen 4 remakes be good.

1-Use the LGPE exp system of "all your mons recieve exp but very little", this would not only fix the strategic dominance of old games, but would also prevent the games from overflowing you with exp.
2-Get rid of HMs and increase the speed of the game.
3-Skippable cutscenes/dialogue.
4-Fix the levels of wild water types.
5-Keep everything intact from platinum.

If they do this, they would not only have the best remake on the franchise, but the best game on the franchise by a huge margen, im not exaggerating.

I wouldn't recommend gamefreak to do a remake tho, they struggle to get the mainline games in time, let alone more side proyects, if they refuse to increase their staff (which i can sort of understand now that they are more on the edge of getting fired than ever), then they can always let other developers make the remakes, grezzo doesn't really have anything important to do (that hasn't been announced) right now,so they could do it.

I wouldn't recommend gamefreak to do a remake tho, they struggle to get the mainline games in time, let alone more side proyects, if they refuse to increase their staff (which i can sort of understand now that they are more on the edge of getting fired than ever), then they can always let other developers make the remakes, grezzo doesn't really have anything important to do (that hasn't been announced) right now,so they could do it.
On the contrary, their current problems are all the more reason to do a remake -- your mistake here is defining remakes as side projects when in reality they are very much mainline games with the possible exception of LGPE (which -still- outsold Gen 7's "third version", and continues to be a top 5 Switch bestseller, ahead of even Splatoon 2 and NSMBUDX). They consistently come out with sales numbers very close to that of the first games in a generation and eclipse the sales figures of third versions and are always treated as the next step up.

Importantly as well, a lot of the work is already done for you. The Pokémon in the game; the region design; the characters; even when you're updating a lot of this, all of this has been decided beforehand so you more or less just need to add onto it rather than starting from scratch, which will very much help save resources. It will also suffer a lot less from SwSh's problem of being able to keep on top of Pokémon models because, well, it'll use the same graphics as SwSh and will be able to use many of the same models since a lot of the Pokémon in SwSh are also in Sinnoh's dex - Lucario, Gallade, Eevee, Wingull, etc. And of course, barring the possibility of a new Event Pokémon or a handful of new forms, there's nothing new to focus on making either.

If you're worried about how Game Freak is struggling with games now, then a Remake is possibly the smartest thing they could do. A guaranteed top seller with much of the work already done.

(also I second Pikachu315111 ; what's this about likelihood of firing?)

(also I second Pikachu315111 ; what's this about likelihood of firing?)
Probably heard this already, but the small amount of money that gamefreak makes compared to what the mobile games+merchandising do is honestly concerning, SwSh could literally sell 0 copies and they would still make more than enough money via other markets. The mainline games won't dissapear as long as nintendo needs to sell consoles, but i feel like gamefreak could be replaced at anytime without consequences, specially with all this dex controversy going , and i think they know this having in mind that they are focusing on making new IPs more than ever.

EDIT: i would honestly like to see other companies taking care of pokemon as well, i think they would do a better job than gamefreak, but at the same time i would feel bad for them because without pokemon they are fucked.

Probably heard this already, but the small amount of money that gamefreak makes compared to what the mobile games+merchandising do is honestly concerning, SwSh could literally sell 0 copies and they would still make more than enough money via other markets. The mainline games won't dissapear as long as nintendo needs to sell consoles, but i feel like gamefreak could be replaced at anytime without consequences, specially with all this dex controversy going , and i think they know this having in mind that they are focusing on making new IPs more than ever.
That's very much true for Nintendo and generally the industry at large, though. I wouldn't really read too much into it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

EDIT: i would honestly like to see other companies taking care of pokemon as well, i think they would do a better job than gamefreak, but at the same time i would feel bad for them because without pokemon they are fucked.
*HEAVY SIGH*

GameFreak is fine. They're not going anywhere, and they're not going to do any mass firings. Infact, I have NO IDEA where the idea GF isn't doing fine came from? GF NEVER said they weren't doing fine. All they said was that to save time and to let them focus on making the graphics better in SwSh that no Pokemon outside of the Galar Dex was going to be in SwSh.

THAT'S IT! That's ALL we know! Well, we also know they split the department into two so they could work on Little Town Hero but we don't exactly know what percentage that split is.

Also, GF owns a third of the Pokemon Company. Nintendo can't just get rid of GF's connection with Pokemon unless GF decides to drop out and sell their shares. As far as we know, by Nintendo's, Pokemon Company's, and Creature, Inc. (the other company aside Nintendo that owns a share of the Pokemon Company), GameFreak are the ones who make the Pokemon games. They're the monster makers. They're the ones who makes the Pokemon which Pokemon Company bases their merchandise and business deals on. If GF was in trouble, Pokemon franchise would be in trouble and would be very dumb for the Pokemon Company not to step in. But since there's no report of the Pokemon Company or Nintendo having to bail out GF, and GF is finding time to make another game in addition to making SwSh, then they're doing fine and no GF employee probably has to update their resume anytime soon.

Infact, being the makers of one of the most popular game franchises in the world, I have a feeling they have plenty of money. Maybe not as much as the Pokemon Company or Nintendo, but unless upper management at GF is truly terrible they probably have more than enough money to not only stay afloat from one bad generation sells (after all, they have enough money to be working on two games at the moment), but I would say they even have enough money that they could hire on new permanent staff members if they wanted to. They should honestly, only 200 employees spread accross 2 games with one that has to be made within a year's time. I would REALLY be worried GF employees having to suffer from crunch periods and burning themselves out. And maybe if they did hire or at least contract work out we wouldn't be having this conversation cause they'd got programmers who would know what they're doing and able to fit all Pokemon into the game cause they'd know about compacting data and make a program that just upscale & smoothes out models.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Oh...this is embarasing :/. At least i know this now before doing something more clownish.
Don't worry about, infact if I sounded harsh I apologize. Just getting frustration out because, as you can see, I'm very critical of GF and don't think they deserve that much sympathy that many players are pouring upon them.

Also with so much misinformation out because GF doesn't tell us any information I don't blame you from getting confused. If you'd like to watch a video of someone who has done a bit of research and is more on the middle ground about the whole situation than here's a Poketuber I put my trust in.

Haven't seen you around, are you new? Welcome! :bloblul:

Don't worry about, infact if I sounded harsh I apologize. Just getting frustration out because, as you can see, I'm very critical of GF and don't think they deserve that much sympathy that many players are pouring upon them.

Also with so much misinformation out because GF doesn't tell us any information I don't blame you from getting confused. If you'd like to watch a video of someone who has done a bit of research and is more on the middle ground about the whole situation than here's a Poketuber I put my trust in.

Haven't seen you around, are you new? Welcome! :bloblul:
I've been on showdown (mainly ubers and LGPE OU) and discord for a while, but i barely touched the forums since now. Also that video you linked me is literally the one where i got this theory from, did i missed some important info or something? english isn't my first language so it's possible that words just flew over my head or something.

Im also not a fan of gamefreak, at all, i honestly think there's only 3 actually good pokemon mainline games and the others are either meh or really bad, and i don't hesitate on calling them incompetent because they are, i just...wanted to be a bit more mercyful, letting myself be filled with hatred has already lost me enough things on my life...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I've been on showdown (mainly ubers and LGPE OU) and discord for a while, but i barely touched the forums since now. Also that video you linked me is literally the one where i got this theory from, did i missed some important info or something? english isn't my first language so it's possible that words just flew over my head or something.

Im also not a fan of gamefreak, at all, i honestly think there's only 3 actually good pokemon mainline games and the others are either meh or really bad, and i don't hesitate on calling them incompetent because they are, i just...wanted to be a bit more mercyful, letting myself be filled with hatred has already lost me enough things on my life...
Oh, I see. Sorry to hear that. Smogon is a safe place to display your opinions (at least when it concerns Pokemon). I can understand wanting to be somewhat forgiving to GF as they do have limitations set upon them, though at the same time I feel they don't do the best decisions to work within those limitations (like TPC probably does say they only have a certain amount of time to make the next games cause they need merch to sell, but instead of hiring more people/contracting out work or having the whole office work on the big project instead they split the office to also work on a passion project). I respect GF though I don't believe anyone is above criticism, after all how can one approve if they don't know the faults they need to improve upon?

Honestly, when it comes to GF, at least at the moment, best not to even bother. At this point what decisions they made can't be reversed so let's just see how SwSh comes out. Get to know what we can praise them for, what criticism to give, and where the games rank with the others (and I guess we'll see how Little Town Hero works out too).

you watch Lockstin & Gnoggin too? Awesome! Yeah, he's trying to be central in all this though you can sort of tell he's critical of GF's handling of things and decisions. At the end of the video he does say he wishes GF just sells their share so Pokemon Company and Nintendo could make the next Pokemon games themselves, but he never says they were in bad shape (quite the contrary, I was essentially quoting him when I said they may not make as much as TPC and Nintendo but GF still makes bank on the Pokemon games).

Only 3? Hmm, well I can say my favorite Generation is V so I guess you can say I think 4 games are actually good so I guess I can see where you're coming from, lol.

Only 3? Hmm, well I can say my favorite Generation is V so I guess you can say I think 4 games are actually good so I guess I can see where you're coming from, lol.
The games i think are actually good are platinum, black and black 2. Emerald, let's go and FRLG are eh, GSC and HGSS are heavely overrated (again, imo), RBY aged like milk, XY/ORAS are boring as fuck and SM/USUM just don't let you even play the game. So that's all my takes on the mainline games, fits well the threadof this place lol.

Oh, I see. Sorry to hear that. Smogon is a safe place to display your opinions (at least when it concerns Pokemon). I can understand wanting to be somewhat forgiving to GF as they do have limitations set upon them, though at the same time I feel they don't do the best decisions to work within those limitations (like TPC probably does say they only have a certain amount of time to make the next games cause they need merch to sell, but instead of hiring more people/contracting out work or having the whole office work on the big project instead they split the office to also work on a passion project). I respect GF though I don't believe anyone is above criticism, after all how can one approve if they don't know the faults they need to improve upon?

Honestly, when it comes to GF, at least at the moment, best not to even bother. At this point what decisions they made can't be reversed so let's just see how SwSh comes out. Get to know what we can praise them for, what criticism to give, and where the games rank with the others (and I guess we'll see how Little Town Hero works out too).

you watch Lockstin & Gnoggin too? Awesome! Yeah, he's trying to be central in all this though you can sort of tell he's critical of GF's handling of things and decisions. At the end of the video he does say he wishes GF just sells their share so Pokemon Company and Nintendo could make the next Pokemon games themselves, but he never says they were in bad shape (quite the contrary, I was essentially quoting him when I said they may not make as much as TPC and Nintendo but GF still makes bank on the Pokemon games).

Each entry in the core series is pretty good in of itself, though issues pop up once you inevitably begin comparing them to other entries in the series. Game Freak has made a franchise we all love, but we can't forget some of their questionable decisions. (especially as they're rarely transparent about their reasons for making them)

Each entry in the core series is pretty good in of itself, though issues pop up once you inevitably begin comparing them to other entries in the series. Game Freak has made a franchise we all love, but we can't forget some of their questionable decisions. (especially as they're rarely transparent about their reasons for making them)
I would like to disagree, as a fire emblem player and a "number freak" type of RPG player, i definitively believe that some entries on the series are just bad on a vaccum. Sure, if you want to play the games just to get lost in the world and interact with your virtual monsters, i guess the games are technically worth it, but if you want to play pokemon like any other RPG (just like i do), a lot of entries leave to be desired

Bad enemy movesets have been making my all-Ditto run of US harder than it needs to be, and I just hit a wall. I get that GF doesn’t want things to be too hard, but look at this.
BCBB3BA5-C5D6-46AC-BF48-43F60BAB6C94.jpeg
Thats 3 mons, and not one move that can hit electric types for neutral damage between them. Not to mention that a bunch of other mons can easily wall them. I mean, I get it, kids are playing this, but give them SOME actual coverage, please.
(Normally I just want a challenge, but in this case, I don’t know how I’m gonna kill that thing. It 4x resists all its own moves. I refuse to sit there for 80 turns until it struggles to death, but I might have to)

Bad enemy movesets have been making my all-Ditto run of US harder than it needs to be, and I just hit a wall. I get that GF doesn’t want things to be too hard, but look at this.
Thats 3 mons, and not one move that can hit electric types for neutral damage between them. Not to mention that a bunch of other mons can easily wall them. I mean, I get it, kids are playing this, but give them SOME actual coverage, please.
(Normally I just want a challenge, but in this case, I don’t know how I’m gonna kill that thing. It 4x resists all its own moves. I refuse to sit there for 80 turns until it struggles to death, but I might have to)
To be fair, the Totem Pokemon's allies for that fight have those specific support moves for a reason. They're not meant to be mainline attackers like the Totem is, and all of their moves (well, except for Steel Wing on Skarmory, but at least it's not 100% shut down by Taunt) help this Totem in a meaningful way and aren't just there randomly. Skarmory's there for set-up purposes, while Dedenne takes advantage of Skarmory's set up and coaxes you to switch out with Eerie Impulse lowering SpA by two stages and Charm lowering Atk by two stages. Once you swap, you land on the Stealth Rocks that Skarmory set up. Meanwhile, Discharge never hurts Togedemaru thanks to Lightning Rod, and it can spam that basically for free.

In fact, I'd say Togedemaru's set of dual STAB + Bounce gives it decent coverage against most Pokemon outside opposing Electric-types, with Bounce being a good countermeasure to Fighting-types that are trying to exploit Toge's Fighting weakness.

Unfortunately, this is a brick wall for your Ditto run, but I'd say the fight itself is more competently set up for normal play than a lot of what GF made in the past.

In fact, I'd say Togedemaru's set of dual STAB + Bounce gives it decent coverage against most Pokemon outside opposing Electric-types, with Bounce being a good countermeasure to Fighting-types that are trying to exploit Toge's Fighting weakness.

Unfortunately, this is a brick wall for your Ditto run, but I'd say the fight itself is more competently set up for normal play than a lot of what GF made in the past.
Yeah I have to agree. Also, being walled by Electric-types isn’t that much of a weakness for a Pokémon that’s immune to Electric attacks and doesn’t fear most of the usual coverage moves that opposing Electric mons learn.

Totem Togedemaru is actually one of my favourite battles in the main games from a design standpoint, because it’s pretty equally viable to use offensive, defensive or disruptive strategies to win. Prior to Gen VII, the main series games never really encouraged any tactical thinking beyond “overwrite every non-damaging move as quickly as possible and then click whatever’s super effective”, so I appreciate battles like this.

It does completely screw up an all-Ditto run though.

p0ip0le

it's a billion lions
totem togedemaru flinchhaxed me and made me black out 5 times in a row, couldnt even hit it with my torracat

gen1486 big brain champion strat's gonna be max speed max spa serenegrace togekiss with airslash or something equally absurd, calling it rn

platinum is faster then DP anyways, so sure maybe a remake could further "improve" some other crap but at what cost? ORAS was hardly an objective improvment over ruby saph, and I argue emerald is better then ORAS totally. Having a good working machine doesn't appeal to me as having something with a few errors but has soul. New games have no soul at all, 3d models are washed out and expressionless, overworld has no aesthetic appeal, its like a step above PS1 with a sprinkle of low effort. New games just feel to me like coperate garbage, titles are released just to get it done, no passion, no one cares. And to be honest if you consider you gotta sit through z moves, megas and other crap during modern gen battles will it be any faster? Gen IV is fine, the HM thing is over stated. Platinum is best game in best gen. Change me mind. HA just kidding, you can't

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
platinum is faster then DP anyways, so sure maybe a remake could further "improve" some other crap but at what cost? ORAS was hardly an objective improvment over ruby saph, and I argue emerald is better then ORAS totally. Having a good working machine doesn't appeal to me as having something with a few errors but has soul. New games have no soul at all, 3d models are washed out and expressionless, overworld has no aesthetic appeal, its like a step above PS1 with a sprinkle of low effort. New games just feel to me like coperate garbage, titles are released just to get it done, no passion, no one cares. And to be honest if you consider you gotta sit through z moves, megas and other crap during modern gen battles will it be any faster? Gen IV is fine, the HM thing is over stated. Platinum is best game in best gen. Change me mind. HA just kidding, you can't
While I hate ORAS (worst game in the series imo), it has leagues more personality and “soul” than the original gen 3 games. Archie and Maxie stand out as the lead examples of that

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I'm not sure whether I have the unpopular opinion or you do but I disagree with this statement.

Anyways, I haven't really made it a secret that I like HMs more than Ride Pokemon from everything except a gameplay perspective. It feels like way more of an accomplishment to break through an obstacle using your own Pokemon's power than to rent a Tauros to break some rocks. Maybe you could get around this by having the player go out and befriend their own ride Pokemon, but even then it's still strange that the player character would ride some random Lapras around instead of their own Wailmer. I don't really have a great solution for this though, and I won't deny that from a gameplay perspective it's much more convenient to not carry around HM users.

At least in terms of character design, I think ORAS conveys quite enough "soul". Yeah sure the Rayquaza appearance is lame (yet you ignore the Deoxys scene) but it's cherrypicking ultimately. Predisposition, perhaps.
Soulless?

Soul???
I can't see a grown man leaving his house dressed like pic 1 but I can see pic 2. Pic one is shoenn over design tier pic 2 is aquatic badass buisness, if you catch my DRIFT [heh]

I'm not sure whether I have the unpopular opinion or you do but I disagree with this statement.

Anyways, I haven't really made it a secret that I like HMs more than Ride Pokemon from everything except a gameplay perspective. It feels like way more of an accomplishment to break through an obstacle using your own Pokemon's power than to rent a Tauros to break some rocks. Maybe you could get around this by having the player go out and befriend their own ride Pokemon, but even then it's still strange that the player character would ride some random Lapras around instead of their own Wailmer. I don't really have a great solution for this though, and I won't deny that from a gameplay perspective it's much more convenient to not carry around HM users.

An easy fix is to make rock smash rocks that are in the way be a different color indicating they are perma broke, strength boulders can remain where you last pushed them if they too are not part of a resetting puzzle [such as foam island] cut trees could also be perma cut in vital areas etc. I personally also dislike the pokemon assisters and more then that the stupid gear you wear when you are on them [lol] For HMs maybe they should only have to be in your party and a pokemon be able to use them aswell so for example, you have a feebas with tackle and flail and SURF hm in bag and feebas can still surf.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 8)