Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Who would be a good trick room setter for a bulky but slow team? Im using Cresselia after the switch from Magearna, simply because of Garchomp killing Magearna consistently.
If you’re running trick room, you wanna go full trick room. Most common setters are uxie, mag, cress, and reun, but a few others have fringe viability. However, like Norm said, if you have a slow bulky team, just embrace that it’s a balance team and don’t force offense on it.

How do I counter zard y on a rain team? Ferrothorn obviously cant, swampert gets out sped and solar beamed in sun, pelipper gets 2 hit koed by air slash (also if it hasnt evolved yet drought will activate after drizzle), greninja isnt a safe switch in and it cant even one hit ko in the sun, even AV torn gets 2 hit koed in the sun.

How do I counter zard y on a rain team? Ferrothorn obviously cant, swampert gets out sped and solar beamed in sun, pelipper gets 2 hit koed by air slash (also if it hasnt evolved yet drought will activate after drizzle), greninja isnt a safe switch in and it cant even one hit ko in the sun, even AV torn gets 2 hit koed in the sun.
Most of the time, CharizardY doesn't use flying coverage.
1568375953679.png
Moreover, even if CharY uses hp electric, the opponents need to predict the switch into Pelliper because into the rain, Swampert checks easily CharY.

How do I counter zard y on a rain team? Ferrothorn obviously cant, swampert gets out sped and solar beamed in sun, pelipper gets 2 hit koed by air slash (also if it hasnt evolved yet drought will activate after drizzle), greninja isnt a safe switch in
Most of the time, CharizardY doesn't use flying coverage. Moreover, even if CharY uses hp electric, the opponents need to predict the switch into Pelliper because into the rain, Swampert checks easily CharY.
I feel that since Arthur is looking for help with air slash Zard Y, he is perhaps lower on the ladder than 1825 (at 1500, air slash is at about 30% usage).

As for Arthur, keep in mind that you can always switch to Pelipper on Zard, then hard switch to Tornadus. Rain is an offensive playstyle, so you have to keep up the momentum and not rely on always having a switch in that can recover off any damage done to it.

Can I get an opinion on my Chople Berry Tyranitar's EV spread (Adamant Nature, 248 HP / 144 Atk / 116 Spe)? Max HP for bulk, the speed is for it to outrun most variants of Mega Mawile and the remaining EVs are placed into attack. If there's a more optimal EV spread lmk.

Returning player here: I used to run defensive Mega Scizor with Defog a ton but I don’t see that set listed on Smogon’s analysis anymore. I would like to run this for a team but I want to know two things:

1) what is the optimal EV spread for this set (running defensive lando and toxapex as well)?
2) why aren’t people running this anymore? Is it just Magnezone?

Thanks

Returning player here: I used to run defensive Mega Scizor with Defog a ton but I don’t see that set listed on Smogon’s analysis anymore. I would like to run this for a team but I want to know two things:

1) what is the optimal EV spread for this set (running defensive lando and toxapex as well)?
2) why aren’t people running this anymore? Is it just Magnezone?

Thanks
The Standard EV spread (248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD) is the most consistent MScizor spread rn, as it lets you actually being able to use your Steel to check Fairies and Psychics.
As far I have been playing with MScizor, it doesn't actually defeat any of the most consistent Rockers on it's own (SD Lando, SD Chomp, Heatran, sometimes Ferro) without forgoing it's coverage move or Swords Dance, making it even more passive than other defoggers (Tornadus-T can prevent the first two from coming in for free with Z-Hurricane, while Z-Focus Blast takes care of the other two while also covering Tyranitar, and Zapdos has decent Special Attack and Ice coverage to pair with Discharge) or a Steel type that is walled by Tapu Lele of all things, not to mention Steel awful coverage and only really working late-game (which will rarely happen since it's a defogger).

Can I get an opinion on my Chople Berry Tyranitar's EV spread (Adamant Nature, 248 HP / 144 Atk / 116 Spe)? Max HP for bulk, the speed is for it to outrun most variants of Mega Mawile and the remaining EVs are placed into attack. If there's a more optimal EV spread lmk.
Why are you running Chople berry over AV or (mega-)stealth rock?

Especially, I was wondering why you care about out speeding Mawile, as Mawile still beats Tyranitar no matter what? Given that, these days, the only fighting coverage Mawile runs is Focus Punch (with sub), and unless Tyranitar switches in on another attack, not sub, then Mawile would still win. Even in a 1v1 vacuum, the berry does not make a difference against sub-punch Mawile, and all that matters is whether you have enough attack to stop Mawile subbing, and even then you must be certain its sub-punch as all non-focus punch sets run Play rough which OHKOs all but max HP max defence (and that Tyranitar can't OHKO Mawile).

248+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chople Berry Tyranitar: 416-490 (102.9 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 374-444 (92.5 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Chople berry does reduce the damage from focus miss (normal or Z) Lele, Zam, Zard-Y, Keldeo, Magearna, and Tornadus, but this is outclassed by AV for the most part, as that takes these moves well and can kill or do serious damage in return. Perhaps it's better against sacred sword Keldeo than AV, but Keldeo is hardly rampant right now. If you need rocks or d-dance, mega is probably a better bet. But if you're running Chople to beat something in particular, then no one can help you unless you say what the point is!

Hope this helps.

Why are you running Chople berry over AV or (mega-)stealth rock?

Especially, I was wondering why you care about out speeding Mawile, as Mawile still beats Tyranitar no matter what? Given that, these days, the only fighting coverage Mawile runs is Focus Punch (with sub), and unless Tyranitar switches in on another attack, not sub, then Mawile would still win. Even in a 1v1 vacuum, the berry does not make a difference against sub-punch Mawile, and all that matters is whether you have enough attack to stop Mawile subbing, and even then you must be certain its sub-punch as all non-focus punch sets run Play rough which OHKOs all but max HP max defence (and that Tyranitar can't OHKO Mawile).

248+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chople Berry Tyranitar: 416-490 (102.9 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 374-444 (92.5 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Chople berry does reduce the damage from focus miss (normal or Z) Lele, Zam, Zard-Y, Keldeo, Magearna, and Tornadus, but this is outclassed by AV for the most part, as that takes these moves well and can kill or do serious damage in return. Perhaps it's better against sacred sword Keldeo than AV, but Keldeo is hardly rampant right now. If you need rocks or d-dance, mega is probably a better bet. But if you're running Chople to beat something in particular, then no one can help you unless you say what the point is!

Hope this helps.
I’m using it on as a stealth rocker on a sand team with another mega (not Garchomp) and I don’t like the passiveness of Hippowdon. The moves I’m using are Stealth Rock, Pursuit, Stone Edge and Earthquake. The purpose of out-speeding Mega Mawile is so it can’t just claim a kill versus it. The purpose of the Chople Berry is pretty obvious. Chople Berry Tyranitar in Gen 7 OU is not out of the ordinary and has been used in tournaments. I was hoping for the opinion of someone who has at least experimented with it.

Last edited:
Hi,
First Question: In this post, we can see the usage of a pokemon and his winrate on the Snake: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-snake-draft-iii-usage-statistics.3654415/#post-8231197
Why we can't see the winrate of a pokemon in the general ladder of OU ?
Because some players higher than 1825 confront players lower than 1825 ?

Second Question: In this post ( https://www.smogon.com/stats/2019-08/metagame/gen7ou-1825.txt ), we can see an indice of Stalliness. How is it calculate?
In the same post, we can see the percentage of stall, semistall, etc. What is the definition of stall or semistall implement in the algorithm ?

Heya buddies, I'm working on a team centred around Moxie Leftovers Sub DD Gyarados. The set so far is:

Gyarados@Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
-Substitute
-Waterfall
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake/Bounce
Adamant nature, 40 EVs HP, 252 EVs Atk, 212 EVs Spe

The spread allows it to outspeed standard Tornadus at +1 and KO any non-super bulky variant with +1 Waterfall right off the bat.

This set has a super good matchup versus Stall and Semi-stall, and catches some balance teams unaware and snowballs quite quickly. It sets up on Quagsire, who can't touch it except by breaking its substitute with 3 Scalds, Celesteela (Heavy Slam has 0% chance to break the sub), Heatran, Toxapex if Earthquake (the asset of using an Adamant nature is that +0 Earthquake is then a 2HKO on Toxapex including black sludge recovery 100% of the time, which is not the case with Jolly nature, and thus Toxapex cannot afford to use Haze and has to spam Recover, and cannot do a thing to the sub), Tangrowth somewhat if Bounce, Landorus-T lacking Stone Edge (U-turn does not break the sub), and in general gets a lot of setup/chip opportunities by popping a Sub in front of a Scald/Toxik/Leech Seed etc.

The thing is, the match-up is less ideal against a lot of offense/bulky offense teams. And so far I have not been successful in constructing a team around that mon that can handle these match-ups. The team so far is Gyarados/SR Garchomp/Specs Ash-Greninja/Hydronium Rotom/PhysDef Mega Scizor/Scarf Blacephalon. I'm getting rolled over by quite a lot of stuff, including opposing Ash-Greninjas. Opinions? :)

I was watching SSD games and i saw one that caught my eye: z0mog vs EeveetoTheN00b
z0mog was using a very interesing Excadrill set with Grondium Z and Frustration on a sand team ( https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-457570 )
There is some trend or something why he ran that set?
I mean, Frustration can be more useful than Giga Impact if you arent using Normalium Z and let hit somethings that Steelium can't like Rotom and Zapdos.
Thank you!

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I'd imagine its because he also has a Tapu Bulu on the team; if he needed to get an emergency EQ off (ex. vs a Magearna), having groundium-z is very useful to bypass the Grassy Terrain power drop, especially given that Exca is likely gonna be left dealing with Mage.

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.
Is there anywhere where I can view the tiering history for this gen? (Suspects, bans, etc) I'm trying to figure out a timeline of certain meta trends

Can Moltres check cm Magearna? With its higher speed, roost, substitute, and its typing, the MU seems favorable at a glance.

Can Moltres check cm Magearna? With its higher speed, roost, substitute, and its typing, the MU seems favorable at a glance.
A lot of CM Magearna sets also run Shift Gear and the double-dance sets frequently run Thunderbolt. It's at best an okay-at-best check and at worst it's getting absolutely obliterated by one if it gets even a single turn to set up.

A lot of CM Magearna sets also run Shift Gear and the double-dance sets frequently run Thunderbolt. It's at best an okay-at-best check and at worst it's getting absolutely obliterated by one if it gets even a single turn to set up.
I was just thinking of Moltres as a check to the cm pain split set, since this is the only set that is a big threat to stall (the only archetype Moltres fits on in OU). Chansey can check shift gear sets with seismic toss, and Quag can check if it's just bolt beam.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I was just thinking of Moltres as a check to the cm pain split set, since this is the only set that is a big threat to stall (the only archetype Moltres fits on in OU). Chansey can check shift gear sets with seismic toss, and Quag can check if it's just bolt beam.
The CM+Split set runs Tbolt, so I think thats a no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)