Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This makes me realize that unless Stance Change is modified, Aegislash is one of the few Pokémon in which Dynamaxing adds limitations, as it wouldn't be able to change to Shield Form for 3 turns.
Is that really a major hindrance, though? If you want Aegislash to defend itself when Dynamaxed than use Max Guard. Otherwise I'd imagine you'd be attacking as that's all a Dynamaxed Pokemon can do outside of Max Guard which all Status moves turn into. Also you could probably Dynamaxed while still in Shield Forme, though if being able to switch between the two Formes is part of your strategy than maybe Aegislash shouldn't be you Dynamaxed Pokemon. If it's suggested movesets are anything to go by on its Smogon Strategy Pokedex, it would rather stay small to take advantage of King's Shield and than throwing around Toxic or setting up additional defenses than going all in as I'd imagine a lot of Dynamaxed Pokemon would be (and there would probably be a batch of defensive-focused Pokemon better for Dynamaxing as their stat layout will stay the same).

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
"The Japanese Dynamax picture site has codenames for the Galar Pokémon"

- Scorbunny: Usagi1
- Sobble: Chameleon1
- Grookey: Gorilla1
- Yamper: Inu1
- Rolycoly: Sekitan1
- Wooloo: Wool1
- Corviknight: Gcommondori3
- Alcremie: Gcream2
- Morpeko: Pospika
- Polteageist: Teacup2
- Gigantamax Drednaw: Gkame2

If real / true, then the implications are as follows: Corviknight is a 3rd stage (hi regional bird), Alcremie is a 2nd stage, Polteageist is a 2nd stage (perhaps related to that elephant Chairman Rose has), and Drednaw is a 2nd stage.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The Gigantamax could be the "2", and regular Drednaw the "1".

Really interesting find otherwise, thanks
Maybe, though I'm assuming they compared it to the codenames for previous gen Pokemon and the numbers also work the same way indicating the stage. Also the Pokemon who can Gigantamax have "G" in front of their codename which means, well, Gigantamax.

And probably obvious to 99% of people here, for the few who are maybe wondering:

Usagi: Japanese for "rabbit"
Inu: Japanese for "dog" and also Yamper is based on the species "Shiba Inu". EDIT: Derp, nevermind, it's obviously a corgi.
Sekitan: Japanese for "coal".
Commondori: They probably meant "Common Tori", "Tori" is Japanese for bird. So "common bird", yeah, sounds like regional bird to me.
Pospika: Guessing "Positive Pikachu" as its in its Full Belly mode, Hangry Mode probably would be "Negpika".
Kame: Japanese for "turtle"

Though curious why these (minus Morpeko) were in Japanese but the others weren't. Also, Polteageist's codename is "teacup" when its a teapot, so that could mean its prevo is based on a teacup.

Out of curiosity what are the codenames for the previous gen Pokemon, this is fun trivia. :)

Last edited:

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maybe, though I'm assuming they compared it to the codenames for previous gen Pokemon and the numbers also work the same way indicating the stage. Also the Pokemon who can Gigantamax have "G" in front of their codename which means, well, Gigantamax.
I assumed that they precised "Gigantamax" in the case of Drednaw because they separated it from the regular Drednaw, while it wasn't specified in the case of Alcreamie / Corviknight because that would be the code name of non Gigantamax.

But the more I think about it, the less it makes sense, they wouldn't put the boring non-gigantamax form if the gigantamax is already known.

"The Japanese Dynamax picture site has codenames for the Galar Pokémon"

- Sobble: Chameleon1
- Grookey: Gorilla1
- Wooloo: Wool1
- Alcremie: Gcream2
- Polteageist: Teacup2

If real / true, then the implications are as follows: Corviknight is a 3rd stage (hi regional bird), Alcremie is a 2nd stage, Polteageist is a 2nd stage (perhaps related to that elephant Chairman Rose has), and Drednaw is a 2nd stage.
It's also worth noticing Grookey's codename, as while Scorbunny being a rabbit and Sobble being a chameleon were quite obvious, it was not entirely clear which monkey Grookey (or its yet-to-be-revealed evolutions) was going to be.

I'm surprised Alcremie and Polteageist are evolutions, though.

I don't know, "POS Pika" would also be quite fitting in my eyes.
Don't you dare speak ill of Morpeko! I'll be putting one of those bipolar hamsters on my team for sure, and then you'll all see how crap it might actually be. The Honedge line making a return is interesting, I wonder if Weezing-G's ability will stop Stance Change and just leave Aegislash in its Shield Forme.

I saw a rumoured leak that claimed the final evos of the starters would be pure Grass, Water / Ghost and Fire / Steel and that Dunsparce would get a Fairy type evolution called Dunsprite. I'm taking that with a pinch of salt, but it would be cool if it was true. Dunsparce would be a beast in LC, being one of the bulkiest Pokemon overall and packing respectable Attack for the tier.

I won't lie, one of the most fun parts of any new trailer or reveal or whatever is to spot what newly revealed returning Pokémon we've got, and I imagine that's going to be the same for Pokémon games going forward. Sue me, I like lists and filling in blanks. So this update is really cool to me! I'm glad at least to see that, yes, the sword and shield Pokémon is in Sword and Shield. But also Ribombee is back!! That was a favourite of mine last gen.

Inu: Japanese for "dog" and also Yamper is based on the species "Shiba Inu".
Yamper is clearly a corgi
Considering how Corgis are heavily associated with the region (even appearing in Welsh mythos as mounts for the faefolk) I figured this was obvious.

Wasn't there that rumour about Polteageist's prevolution being a haunted teacup called "Entitea"?
Not really a rumor, someone either came up with a fake mon or guessed there would be a set of tea based ‘mons with those names.

Commondori: They probably meant "Common Tori", "Tori" is Japanese for bird. So "common bird", yeah, sounds like regional bird to me.
Just to add a bit more fuel to this theory; I would point to how few 3-stage evolutions the last two gens have had as well. Outside of the 3 starters; the regional bird; the regional bug; and the pseudo-legendary, Kalos and Alola only had an additional two 3-stages each (Florges & Aegislash, and Tsareena & Solgaleo/Lunala). So if we do have a three-stage bird on our hands, it is exceedingly likely to be the regional bird given this pattern.

(also, a fun little pattern there is that each of those gens have had a 3-stage flower/plant-based Pokémon as well. Perhaps there's a final stage we've yet to see for Gossifleur?)

Well, color me surprised. Corviknight may not show up in-game as late as Skarmory did in GSC.

That's honestly some great news, I wonder if it'll start as a Normal/Flying or as a Steel/Flying. Steel birds early game sound positively busted.
Especially when the first gym leader is grass...

Also: would the numbers mean all of the new Pokemon in this either evolve from or into something else? Could we see evos for Wooloo, Yamper and Rolycoly?

So Aegislash and Sableye have been confirmed...just how many Ghosts does this Dex have?

I mean, from a competitive standpoint. The fire- and electric-types got almost nothing so far if compared to ghost.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Time to keep my end of the bargain! Here's yet another dex size update!

Kanto - 45 (44 original, 1 regional variant)
Johto - 24 (15 original, 5 cross-gen evolutions, 4 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Hoenn - 29 (26 original, 2 regional variants, 1 cross-gen pre-evolution) (+1)
Sinnoh - 31 (19 original, 9 cross-gen evolutions, 3 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Unova - 52 (all original)
Kalos - 26 (25 original, 1 cross-gen evolution) (+3)
Alola - 22 (all original) (+2)
Galar - 20 (18 original, 2 cross-gen evolutions)
Total - 249 (+6)

Percentages (Rounded down)
Kanto - 29% of Kanto mons, 18% of Galar dex
Johto - 24% of Johto mons, 9% of Galar dex
Hoenn - 21% of Hoenn mons, 11% of Galar dex
Sinnoh - 28% of Sinnoh mons, 12% of Galar dex
Unova - 34% of Unova mons, 20% of Galar dex
Kalos - 38% of Kalos mons, 10% of Galar dex
Alola - 25% of Alola mons, 8% of Galar dex
Galar - 8% of Galar dex

With the addition of Aegislash, Kalos is once again the leader for % of its home Pokedex represented, but still only a few steps from the bottom for overall dex proportion due to the small size of the Kalos dex. The gap between the most represented and least represented (Hoenn) is 17%.

Kurona touched on this earlier, but anybody else find this process of rooting through trailers and counting the roster weirdly fun and exciting? Some have argued that it's a pretty sad state of affairs where we have to even do this now which I suppose is valid, but I dunno, I'm kinda enjoying it. It gives each and every trailer a lot more meaning now, that's for sure!

Kurona touched on this earlier, but anybody else find this process of rooting through trailers and counting the roster weirdly fun and exciting? Some have argued that it's a pretty sad state of affairs where we have to even do this now which I suppose is valid, but I dunno, I'm kinda enjoying it. It gives each and every trailer a lot more meaning now, that's for sure!
I mean, it really depends on what your opinion is on the whole Dexit thing. Against it; Begrudging acceptance; or looking at the positives of it. Depending on where you are on that scale it can very from thinking it's a sad state of affairs to excitement to "well, at least my favourite's made it" to anything in-between. Any of them are valid and it makes this whole thing a bit more interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)