Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an interesting take on an OM
Metagame premise:
-
After a certain amount of turns after a Pokemon has fainted, this Pokemon will be revived automatically, with some handicaps.
-Possible variations like tradition FPS slayer with a turn limit and is score based (although lets stick with the regular meta for now)
Potential bans:
-Leppa Berry entirely. (Not dealing with endless clause on this one)
-Shedinja (Depends on the handicaps given and the complications with having 1 HP)
Potential threats:
-Suicide moves like Explosion and Memento, as well as suicidal leads
-Defensive cores, especially ones with Wish
-Protect, Fake Out, ect. and any ways to stall out turns
Questions for the community:
-How many turns should a Pokemon be able to come back revived?
-What handicaps should a Pokemon being revived be given?
-Should there be other requirements in order to be revived? (such as being below a certain BST or other conditions)

oh. Sorry. I didn’t find that on the list.
Yeah, it's a shame because it would be really fun, and I and a lot of other people would defiantly play it, the thing is, it seems like a difficult thing to code and make, and seems like it's easily glitchable and could lead to endless battles causing data losses. Shame though, would love to play yours.

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Should weather/terrain/ability(e.i. tough claws) boosts affect the move's bp for attack stats?
Abilities like tough claws and sheer force visibly change the base power, but weather and terrain only increases the power of certain moves by 50% and I feel like that would be harder to implement.

But some abilities (tough claws, sheer force, etc) Actually, visibly change the base power of the move instead of giving it an attack boost like weather.
It may visibly change the base power on Showdown, but I'm pretty sure that's just a Showdown thing that makes it easier to determine how strong a move is, and isn't actually the base power of the move being changed. Because of that, power boosts from abilities should be ignored when determining the base attacking stat, unless someone who really knows the ins and outs of Pokemon mechanics like SadisticMystic or DaWoblefet says that stuff like Tough Claws actually do alter the base power of a move.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
It may visibly change the base power on Showdown, but I'm pretty sure that's just a Showdown thing that makes it easier to determine how strong a move is, and isn't actually the base power of the move being changed. Because of that, power boosts from abilities should be ignored when determining the base attacking stat, unless someone who really knows the ins and outs of Pokemon mechanics like SadisticMystic or DaWoblefet says that stuff like Tough Claws actually do alter the base power of a move.
In battle
Tough Claws boosts the power of the Pokémon's contact moves by 30%.
(Via bulbapedia)
While other abilities like guts, pure/huge power, adaptability etc, just give a power boost.
Tough Claws is a rough 1.3x base power boost (precisely 5324/4096: see my article on the damage formula or its primary source). Showdown's tooltips are intended to be rough approximations to display which move is stronger relative to its other moves, so I find them often to be boosting the wrong thing, but it never hurts to submit a bug report if you do find a mistake or inconsistency with the tooltips.

Ability Swap

Each Pokemon has the opponent's ability. For example:
Talonflame w/ Gale Wings vs. Linoone w/ Gluttony would become
Talonflame w/ Gluttony vs. Linoone w/ Gale Wings.
If a Pokemon is replaced, its opponent gets the replacement's ability, and the replacement gets the opponent's ability.

Near-certain bans:
Truant (Really easy to screw with the opponent, also means that Slaking can't become overpowered)
Slow Start (Negative effect screws over the opponent)
Prankster (Dark types are immune to moves used by Pokemon with this ability, so if a Dark-type obtains this ability, it's game over for the opponent)
Defeatist (Negative effect will screw over the opponent)

Possible bans:
Unaware (Could lead to the ability to use Def/SpD-lowering moves without the lowering of the Def/SpD stat actually mattering, but I don't believe one of these moves is on a viable Pokemon)
Fluffy (Fire-type moves double damage, however Bewear, the only Pokemon with this ability, does not learn any Fire-type moves other than Hidden Power)
Stall (Sableye, the only Pokemon with this ability, is PU though, so the usage of Stall would probably not help much)

Possible unbans:
Pokemon banned in OU solely due to their Ability, as the Ability would either do nothing (in cases like Aegislash) or benefit the opponent (in cases like Blaziken)

Tough Claws is a rough 1.3x base power boost (precisely 5324/4096: see my article on the damage formula or its primary source). Showdown's tooltips are intended to be rough approximations to display which move is stronger relative to its other moves, so I find them often to be boosting the wrong thing, but it never hurts to submit a bug report if you do find a mistake or inconsistency with the tooltips.
Thank you for the article. So if I'm reading it correctly, the following are all the modifiers for base power:

• Aura Break (which is oddly pretty far away from the Auras in the order of checks)
  • Rivalry
  • -ate abilities, Normalize, Iron Fist, and Reckless, which all happen in the same step. So in metas that stack abilities, these abilities shouldn't work together, right?
  • Battery
  • Sheer Force, Sand Force, Analytic, and Tough Claws, again all in the same step.
  • Dark Aura and Fairy Aura
  • Technician, Flare Boost, Toxic Boost, Strong Jaw, and Mega Launcher, all in the same step. Interestingly, while Toxic and Flare Boost are here, Guts is not.
  • Heatproof. I don't think anyone here has considered the possibility of the target's ability affecting base power, but if my mental math is right, this would make Bronzong be an actual Fire resist.
  • Dry Skin. Like Heat Proof, but in reverse. Interestingly, Fluffy doesn't work the same way.
  • Muscle Band and Wise Glasses
  • Plates, Incenses, other generic type-boosting items, Adamant Orb, Lustrous Orb, Griseous Orb, and Soul Dew
  • Normal Gem
  • Solar Beam and Solar Blade in bad weather
  • Me First
  • Knock Off
  • Helping Hand
  • Charge
  • Facade, Brine, Venoshock, Retaliate, Fusion Bolt, and Fusion Flare. Strange that these moves have their base power explicitly doubled, while similar moves like Acrobatics and Hex get new base powers that just happen to be double the regular base power. Also, as a side note, Gust and Twister have their base power changed when hitting an airborne opponent, while moves like Body Slam, Earthquake, and Surf get unrelated multipliers when hitting a minimized, underground, or underwater opponent.
  • The defensive effects of Grassy and Misty Terrain. Basically, Dragon moves and Earthquake get absolutely neutered in this meta.
  • The offensive effects of Electric, Grassy, and Psychic Terrain
  • Water Sport and Mud Sport
Some thoughts on this:

Zangoose is terrifyingly strong with its Toxic Boost Facades hitting a base power of 210.

The offensive Tapus get boosts to their main STABs, though the size of the boost varies.

Tapu Bulu in particular can not only fire off nuclear 180 power Wood Hammers, but the Earthquake-weakening effect of its terrain is even stronger.

Tapu Koko gets a huge boost to its Electric moves (Tbolt and Wild Charge hit 135 power), but it's also hit very hard by Hidden Power being so weak.

Type-boosting items are actually stronger than Life Orb for their respective types, though still not as strong as Band or Specs.

Muscle Band and Wise Glasses are still weaker than Life Orb, but they aren't as weak as before.

Charge might be viable in this meta, as it gives a much bigger power boost.

Ability Swap

If a Pokemon is replaced, its opponent gets the replacement's ability, and the replacement gets the opponent's ability.

Near-certain bans:
Truant (Really easy to screw with the opponent, also means that Slaking can't become overpowered)
Prankster (Dark types are immune to moves used by Pokemon with this ability, so if a Dark-type obtains this ability, it's game over for the opponent)

Possible bans:
Unaware (Could lead to the ability to use Def/SpD-lowering moves without the lowering of the Def/SpD stat actually mattering, but I don't believe one of these moves is on a viable Pokemon)
Fluffy (Fire-type moves double damage, however Bewear, the only Pokemon with this ability, does not learn any Fire-type moves other than Hidden Power)
Stall (Sableye, the only Pokemon with this ability, is PU though, so the usage of Stall would probably not help much)

Possible unbans:
Pokemon banned in OU solely due to their Ability, as the Ability would either do nothing (in cases like Aegislash) or benefit the opponent (in cases like Blaziken)
I was going to say this in my previous post, but I forgot. That post is already pretty long, so please forgive the double post.

I have two things to say about this meta.

First, Prankster would absolutely not need to be banned. Dark types are only immune to moves that have had their priority boosted by Prankster, aka status moves. They aren't immune to actual attacks for Prankster Pokemon, unless that attack was called by a priority-boosted status move like Nature Power or Copycat.

Second, this meta doesn't seem very interesting at all. Everyone would just run useless abilities, so it would effectively be the same as a meta without abilities. The player is also very limited in how they can abuse giving the opponent a harmful ability. For example, they can't give the opponent Dry Skin and then swap to a Fire type, because doing so would make the opponent lose Dry Skin.

And honestly, even if the rules were altered to work like that, the meta would still probably be boring. These kinds of sabotage metas CAN work, as evidenced by Suicide Cup and that one idea from a while back where your opponent choses a few mons on your team to steal, but they're very hard to get right. Even though there are many abilities that are mostly useless, there are very few abilities that have the potential to screw the user, so there are very few opportunities for strategic ability exploitation.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Thank you for the article. So if I'm reading it correctly, the following are all the modifiers for base power:
<stuff>
Yep, all of these are properly considered to be BP modifiers, and will affect the move's base power only.

-ate abilities, Normalize, Iron Fist, and Reckless, which all happen in the same step. So in metas that stack abilities, these abilities shouldn't work together, right?
They probably don't all happen in the same step, but it's impossible to differentiate them mathematically since they all use the same multiplier and you can't have more than one ability at a time. I think in metas like Partners in Crime they're all treated separately, so you would get two boosts; there just doesn't happen to be a way to test what happens if you have both Galvanize and Iron Fist on a Pokemon using Dizzy Punch on cartridge, for example.

Also, as a side note, Gust and Twister have their base power changed when hitting an airborne opponent, while moves like Body Slam, Earthquake, and Surf get unrelated multipliers when hitting a minimized, underground, or underwater opponent.
They do not get boosted here. For the case of Gust and Twister, it's an either/or check: you either start with 40 BP or 80 BP, then you consider these other multipliers (so it's more like Gyro Ball in that sense). For the case of Body Slam/EQ/Surf, etc, these are final modifiers that come very close to the end of damage calculation, not BP modifiers. Blame Game Freak on this one; all of those have behaved that way since Black and White at least.

I don't have any insight to how this would work in an OM or the pros/cons of said OM, but that's how base power behavior goes on cartridge.

For the case of Body Slam/EQ/Surf, etc, these are final modifiers that come very close to the end of damage calculation, not BP modifiers.
Yeah, that's what I meant when I said "unrelated modifiers".

Anyway, here are two more sets.

Drifblim @ Flame Orb
Ability: Flare Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind

Drifblim can hit very hard with its 195 power Hexes. It doesn't really have any other good attacks besides Hex (other than Acrobatics if you want to go physical, but physical sets are very outclassed by Hawlucha), so the other three move slots go to Calm Mind for even more power, as well as Thunder Wave and Wisp for two different status options. Thunder Wave is probably the better option most of the time due to it compensating for Drifblim's medium speed, as well as its higher accuracy.

Shuckle @ Figy Berry / Wide Lens / Zoom Lens / Metronome / White Herb
Ability: Gluttony / Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Defense Curl
- Rollout
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Shell Smash / Sticky Web / Stealth Rock

The meme, the myth, the legend. No longer does Shuckle have to Power Trick its incredible defenses away for the sake of offense. Defense Curl doubles the base power of Rollout, so while it starts at a measly 60 power, it next becomes a great 120 power, and then it gets insane.

Ability Swap

Near-certain bans:

Possible bans:

Possible unbans:
Maybe better would.be one where you and your opponent SHARE abilities. That way, you still have once give to use good.abilities.if you are willing to share. Also, Slaking keeps its negative ability, but probably gains a boost while inconveniencing it's opponent.

Maybe better would.be one where you and your opponent SHARE abilities. That way, you still have once give to use good.abilities.if you are willing to share. Also, Slaking keeps its negative ability, but probably gains a boost while inconveniencing it's opponent.
Now THIS would be interesting... it will however invalidate some abilities such as speed boost. But the moxie competition will be hype!

stat inheritance.png
This is an idea that Showdown user In○ue had (they told me I could post it here), which arised from the idea of the OMoTM, Inheritance.

In this meta, any Pokémon can inherit the stats, but not ability, movepool, and typing of any other Pokémon by naming it that. For example:
octillery.gif

Mewtwo(Octillery) @ Life Orb
Ability: Suction Cups
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- <filler>

Octillery: one of the prime examples of an amazing movepool only to be held back by its stats (well, sans Smeargle, but see the bans). Now, in this OM, by inheriting Mewtwo's 154 base SpA and base 130 Speed, it can now put its vast movepool to use!

The meta is Uber-based, with some bans:
Pokémon bans:
- Smeargle is banned, of course
- Mew is banned for similar reason to Smeargle
- Ditto
Basically, this thing is BH Imposter Chansey, but this metagame offers less checks to it.
- Araquanid
You don't wanna get hit by a 180 BP spammed surf via water bubble with 154 base SpA, don't you?
-Shedinja
Imagine Shedinja but with 150 base Attack... yeah I would rather not.
-ALL Pokémon with Huge Power or Pure Power... this is self-explanatory.
Donor bans:
- Any Pokémon with BST above 680
- Deoxys and Deoxys-A
- Kartana (?)
- Megas cannot donate
Additional clauses:
- Donation clause: one Pokémon may only donate to one Pokémon.

Potential threats:
octillery.gif

Octillery
As mentioned earlier, Octillery can now make use of its vast movepool to sweep since it is no longer held back by its poor Speed and average Special Attack.
murkrow.gif

Murkrow
Prankster with a lot of good status moves, now featuring stall-viable stats!

FAQ Time!
Q: What about megas and primal evos?
A: They can still occur! Do take note however that the ingame stat cap of 255 is followed. We will also ban banworthy megas.

Q: What will happen to Aegislash upon transformation?
A: Aegislash will probably be banned, I don't think we wanna see people getting hit by extremely high powered moves then getting face tanked right after. This also applies to other mons with transformations such as Wishiwashi and Zygarde.

Last edited:
This is an idea that Showdown user In○ue had (they told me I could post it here), which arised from the idea of the OMoTM, Inheritance.

In this meta, any Pokémon can inherit the stats, but not ability, movepool, and typing of any other Pokémon by naming it that. For example:
View attachment 198638
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- <filler>

Octillery: one of the prime examples of an amazing movepool only to be held back by its stats (well, sans Smeargle, but see the bans). Now, in this OM, by inheriting Mewtwo's 154 base SpA and base 130 Speed, it can now put its vast movepool to use!

Pokémon bans:
- Ditto
Basically, this thing is BH Imposter Chansey, but this metagame offers less checks to it.
- Araquanid
You don't wanna get hit by a 180 BP spammed surf via water bubble with 154 base SpA, don't you?
-Shedinja
Donor bans:
- Deoxys and Deoxys-A
- Kartana (?)
- Megas cannot donate
Additional clauses:

Potential threats:
View attachment 198638
Octillery
As mentioned earlier, Octillery can now make use of its vast movepool to sweep since it is no longer held back by its poor Speed and average Special Attack.
View attachment 198639
Murkrow

FAQ Time!
A: They can still occur! Do take note however that the ingame stat cap of 255 is followed. We will also ban banworthy megas.

A: Aegislash will probably be banned, I don't think we wanna see people getting hit by extremely high powered moves then getting face tanked right after. This also applies to other mons with transformations such as Wishiwashi and Zygarde.
You also need to ban Pokémon specific items. Like eviolite, stick, thick club etc.

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

View attachment 198638
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- <filler>

Pokémon bans:
- Ditto
- Araquanid
-Shedinja
Donor bans:
- Deoxys and Deoxys-A
- Kartana (?)
- Megas cannot donate
Additional clauses:

Potential threats:
View attachment 198638
Octillery
View attachment 198639
Murkrow

FAQ Time!

I don't think banning Aegislash is necessary, as Pokemon inheriting it's stats won't be able to change between forms. This also applies to Wishiwashi and Zygarde. A better solution would be to ban the transformation. Ex: You wouldn't be able to put Aegislash-Blade as the nickname.

Masquerade

Metagame premise: The gimmick of this OU-based Metagame is that all Pokemon lose their entire native movepools and abilities, but in exchange, acquire the movepool and ability of another Pokemon that shares their exact typing.

Only Pokemon who are their type outside of battle are legal for use in this metagame. This means that Pokemon who achieve typing only inside of battle, by any of the following methods can only inherit or be inherited by Pokemon matching their natural type (ex. Normal/Psychic for Meloetta, Fire for Darmanitan):
  • Mega Evolution​
  • As a result of a move, ex. Meloetta, Conversion, Burn Up​
    • Being hit by Soak or similar does not affect who a Pokemon can receive from.​

• As a result of an ability, ex. Darmanitan-Zen, Protean​
  • Pokemon such as Silvally whose typing can be adjusted but is static within a battle are legal only as the type they are; Silvally holding a Memory counts as a monotype of that type, and Silvally not holding a Memory counts as monotype Normal. In either case Silvally can be used as either a donator or recipient but only as long as it matches the type of the other Pokemon.
Pokemon which can Mega Evolve/Primal Reversion can only be used as recipients if their post-Mega typing matches their pre-Mega typing exactly. They retain the ability and moveset of the Pokemon they inherited from both before and after Mega-Evolving.
  • Mega-evolved Pokemon cannot donate to another Pokemon, even those whose type they match; only pre-Mega Pokemon can donate. (ex. Groudon can donate to Dugtrio, but Primal Groudon cannot donate to Camerupt)
  • M-Garchomp would be legal for use but M-Altaria would not because of the change in typing.
    • The following Pokemon have Mega Evolutions/Primal Reversions which match their pre-Mega typing: Venusaur, Charizard (Y only), Blastoise, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Alakazam, Slowbro, Alakazam, Gengar, Kangaskhan, Aerodactyl, Mewtwo (Y only), Steelix, Scizor, Heracross, Houndoom, Tyranitar, Blaziken, Swampert, Gardevoir, Sableye, Mawile, Medicham, Manectric, Sharpedo, Camerupt, Banette, Absol, Glailie, Salamence, Metagross, Latias, Latios, Rayquaza, Garchomp, Lucario, Abomasnow, Gallade, Diancie, Kyogre. These Pokemon being used as Mega-Evolutions are still dependent on OU validity.
Inheriting both the moveset and the ability is compulsory.
  • If a Pokemon has no other Pokemon with its typing (ex. Ninetales-A, Shedinja) it cannot be used in this metagame.
  • If the only Pokemon with its typing are members of its evolutionary line (ex. Volcarona, Ludicolo) you are forced to use only the moves it inherits from its evolutionary relative; if inheriting from Larvesta, Volcarona loses access to stage-exclusive moves like Hurricane, Fiery Dance, and Quiver Dance, for example, but retains all of the moves it normally can learn through Larvesta, such as Flare Blitz. (please see Community Questions below for speculation on this rule)
  • Abilities which cause changes to types, appearance, or base stats (ex. Shields Down, RKS System, Multitype, Flower Gift, Schooling) function with no effect when donated to other Pokemon. In this case, the recipient still gains the movepool of the donator but an ability with no effects in battle (like Run Away).

Potential bans and threats: There are separate banlists for donators and receivers.
The following Pokemon cannot be used as receivers:
  • Slaking
  • Regigigas
  • Archeops?
  • Pheromosa?
The following Abilities cannot be donated:
  • Power Construct
  • Disguise
  • Color Change
  • Protean?
  • Shadow Tag
  • Arena Trap?
The following Pokemon cannot be used as donators:
  • Chatot
  • Smeargle
  • Mew
  • Ditto
  • Zygarde?
  • Arceus
The following moves cannot be donated:
  • Shell Smash
With regards to threats, I've developed quite a few that display the scope of creativity that could arise from some combinations of donator and receiver.
Format: ("Donator") Recipient
"Azumarill" Tapu Fini @ Huge Power, Normalium Z/Sitrus Berry
Belly Drum or Liquidation/Liquidation or Aqua Jet/Play Rough/Ice Punch or Superpower or Knock Off
This Tapu Fini set capitalizes on its superior inherent bulk, Attack, and Speed and therefore outspeeds more things, making it less reliant on Aqua Jet and able to spend more time smashing things with its other moves.

"Poliwrath" Keldeo @ Swift Swim, Life Orb/Waterium Z
Scald or Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Focus Blast/Psychic or Hypnosis or Rain Dance
Granting Keldeo access to a solid Ice move and a more useful ability than it normally has access to. Psychic does good damage to Mega Venusaur.

"Bellossom Tangrwoth @ Chlorphyll, Leftovers
Quiver Dance/Giga Drain/Strength Sap/Moonblast or HP Ground
Bolstering Tangrowth's solid Sp. Attack while helping its lacking Sp. Defense and Speed. Strength Sap is a great recovery move.

"Drilbur" Marowak @ Mold Breaker, Thick Club
Stealth Rock/Rapid Spin/Earthquake/Rock Slide
Able to get Stealth Rocks up through Magic Bounce users, and STAB Earthquake off of its Thick Club-boosted attack hits through Levitate.

"Dunsparce" Snorlax @ Serene Grace, Leftovers
Body Slam/Coil/Roost/Earthquake or Bite
With respectable natural bulk and Attack power, Body Slam serves as a reliable attacking move with a 60% paralysis chance. Coil and Roost serve as your boosting and healing options (essentially a better Curse) and the last move is for type coverage.

Questions for the community:
  • I chose the name Masquerade on the premise of one Pokemon taking on the character/identity of another. Does it make sense and if not, any suggestions to replace it?
  • I have not considered any Ubers which may be unbanned in light of losing abilities/movepools which help them achieve that tiering (Blaziken, Deoxys formes, Darkrai, Genesect, for example). Are any of these, or others, worth consideration?
  • I am undecided on whether or not to allow Pokemon to receive movepools/abilities from their own evolved/pre-evolved forms (ie Blissey donating to Chansey). In many cases this allows the receiver to function as they normally would in normal play, which is against the spirit of the metagame. Where do you stand on this concept?
  • Any of the above Banned items marked with a question mark are open to debate but I'm currently on the side of ban for. I'd love to hear feedback for these as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)