SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Correct me if I messed up the counting, but if everything on the OP is true, we have about 79 new additions so far. (Not counting forms. Counting only entirely new species) The national dex count is at 888 species right now.

For refrence, Sun/Moon introduced 81 new species. Coutning all of gen 7 however, it introduced 88 new species.

X/Y introduced only 72 new species if you were wondering.

If the number of new species introduced is similar, that would mean about 95% of the new species have been shown to us in some way.

Ill be expecting only 4-5 new species from this point, knowing I could be totally wrong about this. (Maybe a few mythicals?)
Perhaps

Not gonna lie, if only 300-320 "regular" previous Pokemon are in the game, and then there is a dozen legendaries or mythicals from past gens crammed after Eternatus, that's going to be disappointing.
Considering legendaries account for a little under 10% of the national dex currently, and they tend to be popular when the games aren't so oversaturated with them that they aren't special, it would be weird if they literally only brought back one.

I feel like a dozen would probably be too many, and I'm happy a lot of them are getting cut (especially the mythicals, which have a serious problem with event move bloat), but I'd like to see a few more. Specifically, I'd like some of the lesser used ones brought back and given an opportunity to shine in metas without things like Landorus, Heatran or Primal Groudon overshadowing them.

I don't think there is any precedent for non-legendaries coming after the box legendaries in the regional dex, unfortunately.

Considering legendaries account for a little under 10% of the national dex currently, and they tend to be popular when the games aren't so oversaturated with them that they aren't special, it would be weird if they literally only brought back one.

I feel like a dozen would probably be too many, and I'm happy a lot of them are getting cut (especially the mythicals, which have a serious problem with event move bloat), but I'd like to see a few more. Specifically, I'd like some of the lesser used ones brought back and given an opportunity to shine in metas without things like Landorus, Heatran or Primal Groudon overshadowing them.

I don't think there is any precedent for non-legendaries coming after the box legendaries in the regional dex, unfortunately.
Do you think there will be another Zygarde Cell hunt in the game, like SM and USUM? I would hope not, because then it would just be like trying to feed a dead horse.

Do you think there will be another Zygarde Cell hunt in the game, like SM and USUM? I would hope not, because then it would just be like trying to feed a dead horse.
Doubt it. I don't remember that being particularly well-received, and Zygarde is one legendary they will definitely want to remove if they want to cut down on complexity -- it has three forms, two abilities and four signature moves.

That's my bad (if its indeed a mono Pokemon and not a Flapple evolution). In all the excitement I was the one who noted the gap between Flapple and Espurr and assumed a Flapple evolution.
The page opposite alcremie in the guidebook leak is the gigantamax apple-looking thing, which looks likely to be related to the flapple line and hence suggests a 3-stage line with the final mon's name beginning with A.

Speaking of flapple, I haven't commented on the flood of leaks yet since I was excited about prospect of dragon/ghost pseudo. I will say that after the first set of leaks up to cursola looked really solid, a lot of the recent flood looked fan-game-y to me, like stonjourner, flapple, the mimes, and the fossils. I like the concept of the fossils, including head on tail, but seeing the 'meat' of the chopped-in-half t-rex cross section bit seemed odd /gruesome for a pokemon design. Ice darmantitan looks solid though.

The page opposite alcremie in the guidebook leak is the gigantamax apple-looking thing, which looks likely to be related to the flapple line and hence suggests a 3-stage line with the final mon's name beginning with A.
The picture I've seen doesn't seem to show anything related to a name, unless there's a non-blurry screenshot or something floating around.

It does have 2 screenshot boxes on the same page though, not sure what's up with that.

With respect to legendaries, it's worth remembering that there is precedent for them not being the last in the dex. Specifically, Zygarde as a returning legendary was number 261 in the Alola dex -- though I don't recall the logic of why.
To be fair though, that's only happened with Victini, Zygarde, and DP Legendaries. For the former two, it was probably done because they didn't want the pokedex to be filled with ???? pages for a long time. The reason the Platinum expansion didn't change was probably because the amount introduced was miniscule compared to future games.

The picture I've seen doesn't seem to show anything related to a name, unless there's a non-blurry screenshot or something floating around.

It does have 2 screenshot boxes on the same page though, not sure what's up with that.
The gigantamax pages seem to be in alphabetical order and the images at the left side of the apple mon page line up with the images on the right side of the alcremie page, indicating it starts with A or maybe B.

How do you know. If you know anything about Pokémon is that you should never take things at face value. ESPECIALLY Psychic type pokemon. Those are just rammed with Japanese folklore. At face value Celesteela is a bamboo rocket. But its actually based on a specific Japanese folktale.
Mostly cause I have actually studied mythology, while japanese mythology is not my speciality I can tell you the difference between, say a Koma inu and a Shisa, and sure you could say "Haterene is basen on tsukumogami" but literally any manmade object could be a tsukumogami and while there are distinct tsukumogami, the only distinct hat tsukumogami is the Torikabuto which is a hat that looks and sings like a bird, Haterene does not look like a bird much less a Torikabuto

so in short, I'm sorta familiar with japanese myths and that sir is not a japanese myth (or is super obscure which is just bad marketing)

Last edited:
Does the alcreamie page have an eevee on it?
Yes, you can see it here in this tweet:

I actually don't think we discussed this page here yet? From what we can read of the blurry text, it discusses how to get gmax eevee, pikachu, and charizard. The charizard seems to be slight story spoilers, so don't try to read if you don't want to know how/when you get it in game.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Honestly even if man-made object pokemon don't have deep-lore inspiration, who cares as long as they have good designs? I don't need a mon to have an essay's worth of inspiration behind it, I just care if the stealth bomber dragon looks cool. Like I don't see why random squirrel pokemon gets the inspiration pass but the second the fictional monster is based on something inanimate it's time to bust out the magnifying glass.

If you don't like the designs (I know I dislike the hat thing) just say you dislike them, no need to say the design is lazy because it's based on british hats compared to british sheep

I actually don't think we discussed this page here yet? From what we can read of the blurry text, it discusses how to get gmax eevee, pikachu, and charizard. The charizard seems to be slight story spoilers, so don't try to read if you don't want to know how/when you get it in game.
This strongly suggests to me that Gigantamax is in fact a thing you can't unlock and is just true/false of a given Pokemon. That's gonna be super annoying if any of them have Hidden Power types or Hidden Abilities that are useful in competitive.

I kinda like that it's mutually exclusive with past moves, but in general that sounds like it has the potential to be extremely frustrating.

I guess this is implying that these are your only 3 "guaranteed"/gift/obtained ingame/non-raid "Gigantamax Factor" mons?
Odd to mention a postgame gift and 2 "events" in 1 section though.

So it is, looks like Flapple does have an Evo after all.

This strongly suggests to me that Gigantamax is in fact a thing you can't unlock and is just true/false of a given Pokemon. That's gonna be super annoying if any of them have Hidden Power types or Hidden Abilities that are useful in competitive.

I kinda like that it's mutually exclusive with past moves, but in general that sounds like it has the potential to be extremely frustrating.
I think they've stated as much. This would also mean that Dynamax levels may not be something you can level up so hopefully it's inheritable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)