Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Cramorant losing its Pikachu and Arrokuda catch upon switch out is bummer. Just imagine what a great sack it could be later in the match.

Send out the weakened Cramorant and as it goes down, it either takes -1 Def off the foe paralyzes them while taking 1/4 health off all the while and priming the target for a revenge kill.

An extra thing I want to ask is that only Physical and Special moves activate it right? It gets bypassed by status moves? Also since Pikachu causes paralysis I take it Ground types aren’t affected.

Also thinking about it, Gulp Missle can bypass Wonder Guard right?
Ground types are affected by paralysis just fine. Also, doesn't Body Slam paralyze ground types? It's been a while since I checked. Also, trapping moves don't stack? So I can't use sand tomb, then wrap, then fire spin and achieve absurd amounts of damage at the end of every turn?

EDIT: Don't know if it was reported here yet, but apparently Scrappy also blocks intimidate. Saw it on Serebi. https://serebii.net/swordshield/updatedabilities.shtml

Last edited:
Just putting this here because I recently found this out

- the Trios in this generation is confirmed to be incapable of Maxing under any circumstances
- moves that changes type according to their effects (such as Multi Attack) would display as their original Type (such as Max Strike), but the moves they actually use would be the modified type instead with the proper secondary effects (say Max Geyser and triggering rain if Sivally has Water memory); my guess is it will also be true for all other type changing moves

Last edited:

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Keeping this short since I haven't finished testing on a few other things I was hoping would be simple tonight.

- Electrify turns both Max moves and G-Max moves into Max Lightning.

If Eiscue in Noice form enters while hail is up and Neutralising Gas is active, and then the Neutralising Gas is removed, does Eiscue regain its ice?
(Does Neutralizing Gas affect any form-changing abilities?) Here's what I found:
- If Eiscue-Noice uses Hail while Galarian Weezing is on the field with Neutralizing Gas, it still regains Ice Face.
- If Eiscue-Noice enters the field in Hail while Galarian Weezing is on the field with Neutralizing Gas, it regains Ice Face.

If a galaran weeasing attacks a configuras would mummy disable neutralizing gas?
- Mummy does not activate since it's suppressed by Neutralizing Gas.

How does encore interact with dynamax?
- If the last move is a Max move, it says "But it failed!". I think the logic is same as with Disable.

How does Brine work with Dynamax?
Using: 346 HP Gmax Corviknight (base HP 173, SpD 115) and Qwilfish (82 SpA)
At 260/346 HP, Corviknight drops to 227/346 HP with Brine. (loses 33 HP)
At 174/336 HP, Corviknight drops to 144/346 HP, 146/346 HP with Brine. (loses 30 HP, 28 HP)
At 146/346 HP, Corviknight drops to 92/346 HP with Brine. (loses 54 HP)
Seems that it uses 50% of the Dynamax'ed max HP to calculate the damage increase.

Do we know how 'Maxing interacts with Pain Split?
Before: 174/346 HP Gmax mon (base HP 173) and 160/160 HP opponent
After: 210/346 HP Gmax mon (base HP 173) and 123/160 HP opponent
Gmax mon gains 36 HP, opponent loses 37.

Before: 346/346 HP Gmax mon (base HP 173) and 39/160 HP opponent
After: 279/346 HP Gmax mon (base HP 173) and 106/160 HP opponent
Gmax mon gains 67 HP, opponent loses 67.

Looks like it averages out the Gmax mon's base HP with the normal mon's HP.

So, about snapped moves...
Despite having no description and the game preventing you from transfering a Pokémon with them over, they retain data such as power and accuracy, but have a CanUse flag set to false.
Certain other moves like Geomancy have no such transfer restrictions (because they are learned only by mons that can't be transferred over) but also have the CanUse flag set to false; I guess you can call them soft-snapped. What happens when you hack either an hard snapped or a soft snapped move in the moveset of a Pokémon? This question is mostly relevant about OMs such as BH and CAP (Syclant, Aurumoth, Jumbao and especially Necturna).
In battle the move appears faded and it can't be selected.

Not sure if it was mentioned already but I think Toxic no longer bypasses Accuracy Checks when used by Poison types. Unfortunately I forgot to clip it but I was in a Max Raid with a Toxapex and it used Toxic but it missed.

Im not sure if this has been mentioned before but how does eviolite interact with johto corsola, kanto farfetchd and mr mime? I doubt it works but would love some confirmation. Ik its harder to test because u need to hack the game for them but id appreciate it cause this can be huge for lower tiers

Is there any photographic evidence about it? Again, this is pretty big for OMs so I want to make sure.

Check around 5:15, judgement is greyed out too despite not having the description for deleted moves

Not sure if it was mentioned already but I think Toxic no longer bypasses Accuracy Checks when used by Poison types. Unfortunately I forgot to clip it but I was in a Max Raid with a Toxapex and it used Toxic but it missed.
Max Raids have some weird move conditions where certain of their moves can fail. I wasn't really able for now to determine what, other than the fact that item/weight based ones and selfdestruct ones auto-fail.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
did someone test the following stuff:

Can Phantom Force users get now hit in semi protected turn by some of this moves?
Or can the moves hit the semi protected turn of Phantom Force?
- Extrasensory,
-shadow claw,
-shadow sneak,
-other Phantom Force?
-Snipe Shot???
-Dragon Darts???
-moves used by Stalwart Duradulon?
-moves that hit always and any target combined with Scrappy?
- ghost moves combined with No Guard

Can Anchor Shot, Dragon Darts, Fishious Rend, Sky Drop,Snipe Shot hit Dive users under water in semi turn?

Can Dragon Darts hit Fly, Bounce , Sky Drop when they are in semi protected turn?

Bulletproof reactions to:
-Dynamax Cannon
-Gunk shot,
-mud shot,
-Dragon Darts(know its arrow name but it works like missiles),
-ice shard,
-moon blast,
-anchor shot,
-Snipe Shot,
-Gulp Shot(ability)
-Grav Apple,
-Tar shot,
-Draco meteor?
-Aura Wheel, Flame wheel?
-icycle spear?
-zing zap? (A strong electric blast crashes down on the target)
-Pin Missile?
-heart stamp?
-mirror shot?
-stiching moves similar ro Spirit schackle?
-Flame burst?
-Rollout?
-Steam roller(know isnn't in game)?
-fell stinger
-"water gun" ??? know, but should be.

taking that bullet seed(seed machine "gun") is blocked.
Those "shot" and "shoot" moves should be blocked by bulletproof too... also missiles and arrows...

Soundproof and reaction to:
-Drum Beating,
-Yawn,
-Overload(and it's G-move),
-G-move Resonance
-G-move Snooze(yawn synonym)

Grav Apple and Gravity?any reaction?
power boost anything? priority change?

Magic Powder against Overcoat?

the new moves don't have priority changes?

Snipe Shot(move), Proppeler tail(ability) and Stalwart(ability) reaction:

-hitting pokemon i semi-invulnerable turns like Dive??? Dig? Fly? Bounce? Sky Drop? Phantom Force?

-when Plasma Fits and Volt absorb are used by Zeraora? or Ioen deluge? when changing their types?

-their reaction to screens, protect moves?

-Reaction to Encore?Disable?Torment?

Did High Jump Kick and Jump Kick get a semi protected turn?

Do Gigantamax have some more "form" immunities then regular Dynamax Pokemon?
like auto Damp?

Dynamax- gives immunity to flinching, weight based moves, item based moves
What about Seismic Toss, Sky Drop???
or moves like Soak , moves that change oponents types?
Will Magic Powder react with a Dynamax or Gigantamax pokemon?

Can a Gigantamax move hit through a Max Guard by any chance?
in a way like do the Max Moves through protects?

Will Gigantamax or Dynamax protect against Wandering Spirit ? Mummy? Perish song? Curse?
and how do they react? Memento? Can they get trapped? reaction to waether effects always the same?

at least we got Sand spit ability that not only calls sandstorm but with every physical contact from the foe deals Sandstorm damage?
interesting how multi-hit moves react to that if only once or for every hit a reaction?
Like Dragon Darts? hits Sandaconda once activates sandstorm and damage, second hit a new activation? and other so on? or only once?
more activations would make sense for defensive option against multi hit moves and attackers.
how does it react after getting hit by Gulp Shot? do ground types get something extra now in sandstorm like rock types do?

Last edited:
Some Blunder Policy stuff:
-It can trigger on misses on your ally
-It can trigger with 100 accuracy moves that miss due to evasion buffs like Minimize or Snow Cloak (I tested this because of the weird wording of the description that says "because of Accuracy")
-It can trigger on misses due to Hustle or Wonder Skin
-It does not trigger on misses versus unavailable Pokemon (Fly, Dig, etc)
-It does not trigger on missed OHKO moves
-It does not trigger on allied Telepathy Pokemon "dodging" your moves (this wouldn't follow mechanically, but the flavor text for Telepathy mentions dodging so I figured it was worth testing)

Last edited:

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Fishious Rend (Japanese: エラがみ Gill Bite) the name states that it will get Strong Jaw boost of 50%...
could Bruxish, Sharpedo and others learn it?

Weird that Jaw Lock became dark and not rock taking how many Rock types got Strong Jaw...
Jaw Lock works one turn, it's not like Outrage?

Can someone check if Stakeout only works with switching or got modified to boost moves when oponent is also getting trapped?

Do Ice cales work better in hail? reduce moore damage?

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Im not sure if this has been mentioned before but how does eviolite interact with johto corsola, kanto farfetchd and mr mime? I doubt it works but would love some confirmation. Ik its harder to test because u need to hack the game for them but id appreciate it cause this can be huge for lower tiers
I was gonna ask about this! We don't even need to hack to test this out, afaik all the vanilla versions of Galarian forms can be obtained via in-game trades

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I was gonna ask about this! We don't even need to hack to test this out, afaik all the vanilla versions of Galarian forms can be obtained via in-game trades
For Corsola, Farfetch'd, and Hoenn Zig line, I doubt it. Going through the english-story.txt files, there's no reference to these trades, unlike Meowth, Yamask, and Mr. Mime for example.

"Have you caught any Yamask in Galar? If you have, would you be interested in trading for the Yamask I caught abroad?"
"I just can’t seem to catch a Galarian Meowth... If you’ve got a Galarian Meowth, want to trade it for my Meowth?"
"I’m lookin’ for a Pokémon trade. How ’bout your Obstagoon for my Kantonian Mr. Mime?"

It's still worth checking for the Mr. Mime trade, since unlike normal Meowth and Yamask, it doesn't have an evolution for its standard appearance.

For reference, Corsola appears 0 times, Farfetch'd is mentioned once ("That’s evidence as clear and sharp as the leek of a Farfetch’d![VAR 0114(006D)]"), Linoone 0 times, and Zigzagoon only kind of once ("Zigzig.")

Either way, I doubt Eviolite would work on them. While they are, in terms of canon, regional forms, in terms of code they are completely different Pokémon. Cosplay Pikachu did not get defense boosts from it, for instance, and it was also a variation of a Pokémon that can evolve.

By the way, a small nitpick on Fishious Rend. These are its names on other languages:

1574343673482.png

Can't say anything about chinese or korean, but the other names include a word related to biting. So only the English version messed up the translation, preventing us from immediately assuming it was boosted by Strong Jaw :P

Last edited:
While the info is already been dumped for a while, I'm posting a list of all of the notiable flags here (it doesn't cover everything though, like which are bite moves). The full dump where I got this from can be seen in this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...5seF8ohDfhOiitp2q6IHXQUIc/edit#gid=1129058739

So people don't have to worry about asking about them, here is the list of the flags and what moves are in said group:

Priority
Max Guard (4)
Obstruct (4)

CritStage
Snipe Shot (1)

Flag_MakesContact
Double Iron Bash
Jaw Lock
Bolt Beak
Fishious Rend
Body Press
Snap Trap
Behemoth Blade
Behemoth Bash
Breaking Swipe
Branch Poke
Spirit Break
False Surrender

Flag_Protect (False) (and doesn't target self)
Teatime
Court Change
Decorate

Flag_Reflectable
Tar Shot
Magic Powder

Flag_Snatch
Stuff Cheeks
No Retreat
Clangorous Soul
Life Dew

Flag_Mirror (False)
Max Guard
Dynamax Cannon
Stuff Cheeks
No Retreat
Teatime
Clangorous Soul
Decorate
Life Dew
Obstruct

Flag_Punch
Double Iron Bash

Flag_Sound
Clangorous Soul
Overdrive

Flag_Gravity
None

Flag_Defrost
Pyro Ball

Flag_IgnoreSubstitute
Teatime
Overdrive
Life Dew

Useless flags:

Flag_Dance
Clangorous Soul

Flag_DistanceTriple
None (Gen 7&8)

Flag_FailSkyBattle
Psychic Terrain (Gen 7)
None (Gen 8)

Edit: Serebii lists only the starters being able to learn the Pledge moves this generation. Can someone double check if Silvally/Type:Null can access these moves or not?
Edit 2: Does Steel Beam deal 50% rounding up like Mind Blown to the user (use twice then KO), or is it 50% rounding down (use twice with 1 HP remaining)?
Edit 3: Same with Clangorous Soul. Is the 33% damage rounded up, or down?

Last edited:

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Since Judgment was called into question, The Immortal asked me to check every other signature move to see if it's clickable in game.

Btw if you have 4 grayed out moves, it goes straight to struggle, which is why I had to go put Protect on them.

EDIT: TI missed a bunch, will be updating in a bit.
EDIT2: Did that.

Here are all the screenshots showing what happens to them: https://imgur.com/a/lAZc9yy

Clickable:
Accelerock
Doom Desire
Fairy Lock
Mat Block
Night Daze
Soft-Boiled
V-create
Water Shuriken

Unclickable:
Aeroblast
Barrage
Beak Blast
Chatter
Conversion
Conversion 2
Crush Grip
Dragon Ascent
Fiery Dance
Fleur Cannon
Floral Healing
Geomancy
Heart Swap
Hyperspace Fury
Hyperspace Hole
Kinesis
Land's Wrath
Light of Ruin
Lovely Kiss
Lunar Dance
Magma Storm
Milk Drink
Mind Blown
Nature's Madness
Oblivion Wing
Origin Pulse
Precipice Blades
Psycho Boost
Relic Song
Revelation Dance
Roar of Time
Sacred Fire
Searing Shot
Shadow Force
Sketch
Spacial Rend
Steam Eruption
Techno Blast
Thousand Waves

Last edited:
Since Judgment was called into question, The Immortal asked me to check every other signature move to see if it's clickable in game.

Here are all the screenshots showing what happens to them: https://imgur.com/a/lAZc9yy

Clickable:
Doom Desire
Fairy Lock
Mat Block
Night Daze
Soft-Boiled
Water Shuriken

Unclickable:
Aeroblast
Barrage
Chatter
Conversion
Conversion 2
Crush Grip
Dragon Ascent
Fiery Dance
Geomancy
Heart Swap
Hyperspace Fury
Kinesis
Land's Wrath
Light of Ruin
Lovely Kiss
Lunar Dance
Magma Storm
Milk Drink
Nature's Madness
Origin Pulse
Precipice Blades
Psycho Boost
Relic Song
Roar of Time
Sacred Fire
Searing Shot
Shadow Force
Sketch
Spacial Rend
Techno Blast
Thousand Waves
What about V-Create?

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor

Clickable:
Doom Desire
Fairy Lock
Mat Block
Night Daze
Soft-Boiled
Water Shuriken

Unclickable:
Aeroblast
Barrage
Chatter
Conversion
Conversion 2
Crush Grip
Dragon Ascent
Fiery Dance
Geomancy
Heart Swap
Hyperspace Fury
Kinesis
Land's Wrath
Light of Ruin
Lovely Kiss
Lunar Dance
Magma Storm
Milk Drink
Nature's Madness
Origin Pulse
Precipice Blades
Psycho Boost
Relic Song
Roar of Time
Sacred Fire
Searing Shot
Shadow Force
Sketch
Spacial Rend
Techno Blast
Thousand Waves
Did Accelgor lose access to water-shuriken? Otherwise it was never a signature move and should be usable in-game without hacking

Anubis

HONK
Did Accelgor lose access to water-shuriken? Otherwise it was never a signature move and should be usable in-game without hacking
I think the list I got is moves that were restricted at some point in the franchise.

What about V-Create?
TI missed a bunch more moves, which I've added to the original post:
Clickable:
Accelerock
V-create

Unclickable:
Beak Blast
Fleur Cannon
Floral Healing
Hyperspace Hole
Mind Blown
Oblivion Wing
Revelation Dance
Steam Eruption

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)