Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

So a fun interaction I found with Sandaconda: Sand Spit triggers after the max moves effects. Meaning if you try to set up with Max Geyser or flare, Dand Spit will activate right after, setting the Sand back up. Pretty useful for countering weather dependent teams
So it seems to be that the Max Moves apply their secondary effects at the same time most secondary effects of other moves would be activated (before the enemy Pokemon faints and contact abilities activate).

Wait I’m confused. Brine’s base power has always been based on the target’s HP, not the user’s.

If your Pokémon’s HP was >50% for both Brines or <50% for both Brines, then the move was working as it always has.
Oh, you're right. I had it mixed up, my bad.

This happened to me while in the battle tower not sure if this is known.

A Frosslass outsped my Dracozolt while I was Dynamaxed. The Frosslass used Destiny Bond, it knocked Frosslass out, but my Dracozolt was unaffected by Destiny Bond, lived, and still got his Max Flying Speed boost and everything.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
This happened to me while in the battle tower not sure if this is known.

A Frosslass outsped my Dracozolt while I was Dynamaxed. The Frosslass used Destiny Bond, it knocked Frosslass out, but my Dracozolt was unaffected by Destiny Bond, lived, and still got his Max Flying Speed boost and everything.
GF might have done this in order to prevent raid cheesing, but yeah Dynamax Pokemon don't faint from Destiny Bond.

Are Slow Start and/or Truant in the code and implementable on a Pokemon via hacking? If so, are they nullified when paired with a Pokemon with Neutralizing Gas in Doubles?
In theory it should be possible to get a Durant with Truant via Max Raid battles, right? So it would be possible to check that one without hacking.

Looking at the raid, overworld, and non-overworld encounter dumps
I'm actually going to slightly retract my statement, Kurt's raid dump doesn't seem to be accurate. e.g., I got a 4 star Koffing raid with the normal ability, but that isn't possible under that list.

Which also makes me wonder, do raids change daily or something? Or could they be slightly different depending on the copy?

As far as I can tell no one has tested yet if Pyro Ball is blocked by Bulletproof. I doubt the opposite is true but you can't be too sure.

How does disable/Cursed body interact with Dynamax?
How does encore interact with dynamax?
If you have a choice item and don't use any move before dynamaxing, what happens at the 4th turn?

How does neutralizing gas interact with pokemon regaining their ability after weezing dies? For example, does an intimidate Arcanine get another intimidate? Do mimikyu or eiscue regain their ability? Etc...

Unless I'm missing something, this video and calc proves Fishious Rend being Strong Jaw boosted.

The only important stat is the 143 atk and the level 71.

"Liquidation" is Fishious Rend without the Strong Jaw boost.
"Psychic Fangs" is Fishious Rend WITH the Strong Jaw boost (I changed the type to water).
The damage in the video adds up, Dracovish has the strongest Water attack in the game.
Fishious Rend nearly doubles the power of Araquanid's Liquidation.
Looks very promising, but I feel a bit more testing is needed to be 100% sure. May need to do some of the test on Wifi/Battle Tower for consistent level and stats.

A couple of things I tested out:
- A Pokemon can simultaneously be under the effects of Octolock and a damaging trap move like Wrap or Snap Trap.
- Court Change affects Tailwind, Reflect, Light Screen, Aurora Veil, and Entry Hazards. I would assume it also affects things like Swamp, Rainbow, Sea of Fire, and G-Max Wildfire, but I couldn't test them.

So, about snapped moves...
Despite having no description and the game preventing you from transfering a Pokémon with them over, they retain data such as power and accuracy, but have a CanUse flag set to false.
Certain other moves like Geomancy have no such transfer restrictions (because they are learned only by mons that can't be transferred over) but also have the CanUse flag set to false; I guess you can call them soft-snapped. What happens when you hack either an hard snapped or a soft snapped move in the moveset of a Pokémon? This question is mostly relevant about OMs such as BH and CAP (Syclant, Aurumoth, Jumbao and especially Necturna).

*Credit to Nexus and OmegaDonut for the previous SM mechanics research thread.

Rules for this Thread

1. Please limit discussion to battle mechanics only.
2. Avoid vague questions like "does X still work the same?" or "How does new move Y work?" Needs to be a specific idea to test.

New Mechanics

Dynamax/Gigantamax
  • It appears effects which deal damage in fractions of max HP do so by calculating with the original max HP
  • Choice Band/Scarf/Specs move lock and stat boosts are ignored during the effect (Anubis)
  • Being unable to select a move causes Struggle as usual (Anubis)
  • Red Card cannot force switches, but gets used up anyway (Anubis)
  • Emergency Exit can still activate and end Dynamax (Anubis)
  • Transformed Pokemon can Dynamax (Anubis)
  • Shedinja still has 1 max HP during the effect even if its Dynamax Level is maxed out (DaWoblefet)

Max/G-Max Moves
  • Deal 1/4 damage through protection moves other than Max Guard (Anubis and DaWoblefet)
  • G-Max Wildfire's end of turn damage is 1/6 max HP (Anubis)
  • Contrary reverses stat stage changes from Max Moves (Anubis)
  • Weather Ball appears in the UI as Max Strike in rain but really turns into Max Geyser (Anubis)
  • Sheer Force does not power up the moves or remove the effects (SadisticMystic)

Moves
  • Magic Powder is a powder move and fails against pure Psychic types (Anubis)
  • Life Dew triggers ally Water immunity Abilities (Siggu)

Abilities
  • Cotton Down is not a powder-based effect (Anubis)
  • Mimicry changes type(s) to the Terrain type and reverts back to original type(s) when Terrain ends (Anubis) (follow-up)
  • Neutralizing Gas leaving the field does not reactivate "on switch-in" Abilities that activated previously (Anubis) and will activate "on switch-in" Abilities if they have not activated yet (Anubis), even against the Pokemon with Neutralizing Gas which is no longer on the field (Anubis)
  • Screen Cleaner removes screens from both sides and does not affect Safeguard (Anubis)
  • Neutralizing Gas activates before Unnerve (Lego)
  • Steam Engine grants +6 Speed (Revelation)
  • Ice Face breaks from a self-hit in confusion (like Disguise) (PokemonTrainerLui)
  • Gulp Missile triggers from the first turn of Dive even if the second turn doesn't happen (if Surf is fully blocked it doesn't trigger) (Vengeance417)
  • Gulp Missile's Arrokuda projectile deals 1/4 max HP damage and lowers the target's Defense 1 stage (Vengeance417)
  • Gulp Missile's Pikachu projectile deals 1/4 max HP damage and paralyzes the target (even Ground types) (GMars)
  • Gulp Missile fires the projectile even if Cramorant gets knocked out (GMars)

Items

Somebody research items!

Changes to Old Mechanics
  • Inner Focus now blocks Intimidate (DaWoblefet)
  • Own Tempo now blocks Intimidate
  • Aguav/Figy/Iapapa/Mago/Wiki Berries now heal 33% max HP instead of 50% (Pyritie)
  • Disguise now causes the user to lose 1/8 max HP when broken(Anubis)
  • Rattled now activates from being Intimidated (Whitephoenixace)
  • Moody can no longer raise or lower accuracy or evasiveness (DragonWhale)
If a galaran weeasing attacks a configuras would mummy disable neutralizing gas?

If Eiscue in Noice form enters while hail is up and Neutralising Gas is active, and then the Neutralising Gas is removed, does Eiscue regain its ice?

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • Gulp Missile triggers from the first turn of Dive even if the second turn doesn't happen (if Surf is fully blocked it doesn't trigger) (Vengeance417)
  • Gulp Missile's Arrokuda projectile deals 1/4 max HP damage and lowers the target's Defense 1 stage (Vengeance417)
  • Gulp Missile's Pikachu projectile deals 1/4 max HP damage and paralyzes the target (even Ground types) (GMars)
  • Gulp Missile fires the projectile even if Cramorant gets knocked out (GMars)
Because of some... hype Cramorant has been getting for Battle Stadium Singles, me and Martin tested out some more stuff related to Gulp Missle.

- The big one: Cramorant getting Arrokuda or Pikachu depends on its HP. When its above 50%, Arrokuda is in Cramorant's mouth. When it's under 50%, It's Pikachu instead! This seems to be a gurantee, no chance was observed in our testing. Note that I'm not quite sure what happens if Cramorant is at exactly 50% of its health.

-It can still change formes vs Dynamaxed mons and gulp missle still hits them just fine, the animation is pretty funky though lol

-Gulp Missle's 25% damage works much like most perentage moves vs Dynamax: it's based off of the original HP, not the dynamaxed HP.

-If Cramorant gets below 50% of its health via passive means such as Toxic, if it has an Arrokuda in its mouth and uses Surf, it won't "re-fish" for a Pikachu, it stores the Arrokuda.

-If Cramorant Dynamaxes or switches out, it loses its Arrokouda / Pikachu. Poor mons probably got eaten...

Cramorant losing its Pikachu and Arrokuda catch upon switch out is bummer. Just imagine what a great sack it could be later in the match.

Send out the weakened Cramorant and as it goes down, it either takes -1 Def off the foe paralyzes them while taking 1/4 health off all the while and priming the target for a revenge kill.

An extra thing I want to ask is that only Physical and Special moves activate it right? It gets bypassed by status moves? Also since Pikachu causes paralysis I take it Ground types aren’t affected.

Also thinking about it, Gulp Missle can bypass Wonder Guard right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)