Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Skill Swap and Entrainment both failed for me against Dynamax Pokemon. Tested both in Raids and on my partner in Battle Tower.
Also, G-Max Befuddle was able to inflict status through Protect. It does status both Pokemon in doubles.

Edit: Gastro Acid did work on the Dynamax Pokemon (at least in the Battle Tower)

Last edited:

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Substitute omits any status that would be applied to its owner, so regardless it will not be poisoned/paralyzed/trapped
Sandblast does not hit target that are levitating (flying/levitate) in the first place
If Aromatherapy is of any implication, Sweetness would not affect targets that are behind substitutes either
Vocalith and Wildfire will do damage even if your enemies switch
But Sandblast hits the ally and inflicts sand tomb to the whole side, even on flying types (at least in raids)

I think G-Max Befuddle vs Substitute might be worth a test, no matter how much it doesn't make sense. Unfortunately the Battle Tower opponents don't use Substitute all the time like they do Protect, so it's a bit harder to test

Edit: Life Dew doesn't activate Absorb Bulb and Luminous Moss
Edit2: At least according to the move listings, Stored Power becomes Max Mindstorm of 130 power

Last edited:
Last gen introduced a glitch with magic room (a field effect that nullifies the effect of items) which made it so that when you use magic room while you're choice locked, switching moves would then be allowed but tell you the move failed. Happy to say this glitch is gone! It's easy to test with choiced gothitelle/gothita in game as they learn magic room by level up.

If a gmax pokemon with a status move of the corresponding type maxes, does the move become their gmax move or max guard?
Example, Lapras with mist.

Sandblast does not hit target that are levitating (flying/levitate) in the first place
I wasn't asking about the target!
If Aromatherapy is of any implication
Sorry, but I'm looking for actual gameplay answers here.
But Sandblast hits the ally and inflicts sand tomb to the whole side, even on flying types (at least in raids)
Nice! I'm still concerned about Substitute though, because that normally terminates Sand Tomb. (And it would be nice to know whether it affects the other effects, too.)

Maybe I’m misremembering the circumstances but in my playthrough I *think* I was paralyzed by a static Pikachu using a normal type contact move on me while I made no contact. Again I’m not sure but thought it might be worth testing as a possible buff to the static ability.

Last gen introduced a glitch with magic room (a field effect that nullifies the effect of items) which made it so that when you use magic room while you're choice locked, switching moves would then be allowed but tell you the move failed. Happy to say this glitch is gone! It's easy to test with choiced gothitelle/gothita in game as they learn magic room by level up.
Follow-up question: if Metronome/a calling move is used with a Choice item equipped and calls a charge/2-turn move, will it still fail on the 2nd turn?
It apparently does fail in Gen 7, and with this fix I have to question if other choice oddities are affected.

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Does Eviolite boost the defenses of Kantonian Mr. Mime, Johtonian Corsola, or Hoennian Linoone?
And to add on this, Kantonian Farfetch'd?
Actually went and looked at Kurt's pastes, according to this one, Meltan cannot evolve into Melmetal in this game (so you'll have to evolve it in GO to get Melmetal).

And also, I'm 99% sure it will not get an Evolite boost, considering precedent on other mons (Cosplay Pikachu is an example).

This also would kinda mean when Home is released/NatDex gets an LC mode, Meltan wouldn't be considered an LC. And also Meltan is getting an Evolite boost in the NatDex mode, even tho it most likely shouldn't (although someone should really test it).
I did some Eviolite testing for The Immortal and Kris, who had requested this earlier, but I got distracted with other real life things.
Original regional forms of Linoone, Mr. Mime, Farfetch'd, Corsola are unaffected by Eviolite.
Gmax Eevee/Pikachu/Meowth are unaffected by Eviolite.
Meltan is unaffected by Eviolite.
Regular Dynamax mons like Sinistea benefit from Eviolite.
All at level 50:
Corviknight with 152 attack uses Steel Wing against all these mons holding Eviolite:

Johtonian Linoone: 81 Def (76 damage)
252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Linoone: 75-88
252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rattata: 51-60

Meltan: 85 Def (41 damage)
252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bronzor: 36-42
252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Bronzor: 24-28

Mr. Mime: vs -1 Atk Corviknight, 85 Def (108 damage)
-1 252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mr. Mime: 96-114

Kantonian Farfetch'd: 75 Def (90 damage)
252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Farfetch'd: 81-96
252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Pidgey: 54-64

Johtonian Corsola: 115 Def (54 damage)
252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Corsola: 52-63
252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Omanyte: 36-43

Gigantamax Meowth: vs -1 Atk Corviknight, 55 Def (73 damage)
-1 252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Meowth: 73-87
-1 252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Meowth: 49-58

Gigantamax Eevee: 70 Def (91 damage)
252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eevee: 85-102
Gigantamax Eevee: vs -1 Atk Corviknight, 70 Def (67 damage)
-1 252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eevee: 58-69
-1 252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Eevee: 39-46

Gigantamax Pikachu: 60 Def (60 damage)
252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 51-60
252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Pikachu: 33-40

Dynamaxed Sinistea: 55 Def (76 damage)
252+ Atk Skarmory Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gastly: 75-88

I did some testing with Imposter vs Morpeko as well and this is what I found:
- Ditto copies the form of Morpeko that is out and does not change forms after that.
- Aura Wheel appears as electric type no matter what form was copied.
- Imposter Hangry Mode Aura Wheel still seems to be Dark type even though it appears as Electric type.
Videos showing how this works.

I'm a little bit confused here

So only "purple rare raid" pokemon can be Hidden ability?

Cause it says liepard and thievul are a part of this list and they're both available via purple raids (den #63 and #69 for example). Or is there another hidden factor that disables even purple raid thievul from having HA?
I'm also confused as I have caught multiple HA Pokemon from the red raids. It was worded as "if a purple raid spawns there" so maybe it means HAs can be in red raids if that location can also have purple ones spawn?
I looked into the condition more myself, and I don't buy the original theory at all. The way dens work is not quite the kind of mechanic for this thread though, so instead of going on about it more, I went ahead and made an amendment to my original post. Nothing changes with regards to which HAs are limited, only the reasoning behind it (which is all up to GF for all I know).

Last edited:
I'll make an educated guess and assume it's fixed because of the Choice-nullifying Dynamax effect.

I guess Dancer should now work correctly with Choice items as it also suffered from that issue, but with no Oricorio...

Gmax Finale heals 1/6 of total HP, not 1/2.

Max of 344 HP, healed from 263 to 320 HP, which is 57 HP. It's consistently healed that regardless of foe or amount of foes HP.

Another time healed 115 -> 172, again 57 HP. This was through a Protect as well.

344 / 57 = 6.03, confirming the 1/6th ratio.

Can post vid/pics later if you want.

EDIT: This also heals 1/6th of the ally's max HP. Darmanitan had 180 max HP, healed from 134 -> 164. Same ratio.

Last edited:

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm, ever tried do that in online play against both flying/levitating targets? This certainly is odd and probably an oversight
No, I meant that the move should aim a grounded Pokémon, but the Sand Tomb effect will hurt the whole side regardless of the typing or levitate

Not sure if this has been covered but Heat Crash (and presumably other weight based moves?) fail against D-Max pokes.

Coalossal failed against Raihans Duraldon G-Max, something along the lines of 'it shook its head - it was unable to use the move!'.

Considering that Steely Spirit gives the exact same boost Steelworker does, and at the same time applies it to allies... was Steelworker buffed to affect allies as well?

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Gmax Finale heals 1/6 of total HP, not 1/2.

Max of 344 HP, healed from 263 to 320 HP, which is 57 HP. It's consistently healed that regardless of foe or amount of foes HP.

344 / 57 = 6.03, confirming the 1/6th ratio.

Can post vid/pics later if you want.
I ran some additional tests because while I got 1/6 of the Dynamax mon's max HP in singles, I couldn't tell with one test whether it was that or 1/4 of the base HP. Plus, some people thought it was draining health so I went ahead and did this to be thorough and rule out a bunch of other factors people were considering. Here are my videos showing two interactions with different Dynamax level, different base HP on Alcremie, different damage dealt, and different partner. Everyone on ally side continues to heal 1/6 max HP from Finale.
https://imgur.com/a/fBAGEE6

Last edited:
I ran some additional tests because while I got 1/6 of the Dynamax mon's max HP in singles, I couldn't tell with one test whether it was that or 1/4 of the base HP. Plus, some people thought it was draining health so I went ahead and did this to be thorough and rule out a bunch of other factors people were considering. Here are my videos showing two interactions with different Dynamax level, different base HP on Alcremie, different damage dealt, and different partner. Everyone on ally side continues to heal 1/6 max HP from Finale.
https://imgur.com/a/fBAGEE6
Thank you for confirming for me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)