Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I'm really bad at team building. Are there any general team building tips to go by? What should I be thinking about when I set to build a team in OU? I have a vague idea of the threatlist but I just wanted to ask.

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.
Why does the Ditto analysis say to run a Relaxed nature and 0 Speed IVs? I know last gen the recommended nature was Impish, so why the change?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Why does the Ditto analysis say to run a Relaxed nature and 0 Speed IVs? I know last gen the recommended nature was Impish, so why the change?
You're probably remembering it wrong, last gen the recommended nature was Relaxed too.

As for why, here's the reasoning from last gen's OU analysis
https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/ditto/ou/ said:
In a mirror matchup between two Ditto, the faster Ditto will Transform first and be left with 5 PP. A Pokemon cannot Transform into an already Transformed Pokemon, so the slower Ditto will retain all of its PP and will Struggle last. 0 Speed IVs with a Relaxed nature aim to create the slowest untransformed Ditto.

Can anyone give me a good EV spread for an adamant Tyranitar in SS? Would love some tips on movesets as well.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a quick question about EV spreads. Specifically, the best option for those four "bonus" points at the end.

So, usually the default is to pop those extra points into SpD. I understand things like avoiding an even HP total and manipulating Download. (Which I suppose is no longer a factor.) However, I'm a bit confused on what to do when the Pokemon's HP is already odd and their defenses are not equal. For example, I'm trying to EV train my Polteageist. Max SpA and Spe is a given and its' HP is already odd, so no need to put my last EV point there. Now, the default spread for Polteageist puts the last EV point into SpD, and I'm curious why that is. Polteageist has way higher SpD than Def, so wouldn't putting that last EV into Def provide a much larger bulk increase, percentage wise?

Now, obviously this is the most miniscule thing on Earth, especially on something like Polteageist. I just want to see if maybe I'm missing something so I don't mess anything up in the future.

Thanks!

I'm not sure which defensive-pair core I should go with. I have a couple ideas but would appreciate any tips on how they rank in the current metagame. I've listed them from my favourite to least. Thanks!

1. Ferro + Corsola-G
2. Ferro + Toxapex
3. Toxapex/Ferro + Corviknight

Hi all : ]

"Is Seismitoad a good partner in a competitive team built around the Barraskewda & Pelipper core?"
It gives you an electric immunity but increases the grass weakness, it’s not bad at all but ferrothorn is better as it has a resistance to both electric and grass and the rain nullifies the fire weakness from it.

Question myself: is there a glossary on things like “wallbreaker” “pivot”?
I know these but have a friend which like to start and it might be useful to read about it

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
It gives you an electric immunity but increases the grass weakness, it’s not bad at all but ferrothorn is better as it has a resistance to both electric and grass and the rain nullifies the fire weakness from it.

Question myself: is there a glossary on things like “wallbreaker” “pivot”?
I know these but have a friend which like to start and it might be useful to read about it
This dates back from BW but should still do the trick apart from some outdated terminology.

Also when it comes to Seismitoad on rain I'd say it's still a good pick in addition to Ferrothorn because it provides an Electric immunity, allowing it to block Volt Switch, as well as useful Ground STAB and additional speed control in Swift Swim. It can also set Stealth Rock which frees up a spot in Ferrothorn's constrained moveset.

what are some checks to grimmsnarl, mimi and dragapult?
Galarian Weezing is a solid check to all three. Clefable can check Dragapult and Grimmsnarl. Mimikyu can be checked by Pokemon that either have high defenses (like Steelix, Avalugg, and to a degree Corviknight), or ignore boosts (mainly Quagsire).

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Is Toxtricity’s access to Boomburst really enough to offset its crappy bulk and relatively low Speed? I see it everywhere but I really don’t see the appeal of it when it gets invalidated by Excadrill and Ferrothorn still.

Is Toxtricity’s access to Boomburst really enough to offset its crappy bulk and relatively low Speed? I see it everywhere but I really don’t see the appeal of it when it gets invalidated by Excadrill and Ferrothorn still.
Toxitricity also has access to Punk Rock boosted Overdrive + Shift Gear to patch up its mediocre speed.

Overdrive plus Punk Rock plus STAB reaches a 240 BP move on a neutral mon coming off a base 114 SpA, and Boomburst reaches 280 BP, capable of 2hkoing Excadrill.
In fact, since many Toxicitry run Scarf (while I myself prefer Specs for wallbreaking potential), Scarf Drill could very much be a thing to check it in a pinch. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, due to rather lacking speed and low bulk, it's probably just the new Xurkitree; cool gimmick in low ladder but it'll probably be UUBL and a fringe pick.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can the OU council quick ban anything with good reasoning at any point in time?
Yep. There's nothing stopping them from quick banning something they deem incredibly unhealthy/broken instead of opting to sacrifice another 2-3 weeks doing a suspect. Take the Moody ban for instance. If you're asking if they'd still be allowed to quick ban something after Dynamax was suspected, yes they very well can.

I think this is the place for this type of question. Hope I'm right. lol Anyway, I got a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl and even though I get Dynamax is gonna be banned from OU, I'm thinking which set would be the best for him.

Just to be clear: I want to use if for OU battling, but I leak the Gigantamax form so much, I'll probably use him in Battle Tower too, just for the aesthetics.

With that in mind, would you folks say Dual Screens is clearly the best Grimmsnarl set or is Bulk Up just as viable? Are the set in the Smogon dex up to date with the latest metagame changes? Is there any other good Grimmsnarl set I should consider for my precious specimen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)