Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I've been hearing reports that Pokemon with moves programmed in SWSH but not obtainable within the games themselves (eg old mons with Toxic) have those moves grayed out anyway. SOMEONE PLEASE TEST THIS IT COULD BE HUGE and render hype for increased distribution of moves like Defog for naught

I've been hearing reports that Pokemon with moves programmed in SWSH but not obtainable within the games themselves (eg old mons with Toxic) have those moves grayed out anyway. SOMEONE PLEASE TEST THIS IT COULD BE HUGE and render hype for increased distribution of moves like Defog for naught
That was a old rumour that got debunked even before Home release to be honest :P

The game is flagging my pokémon with Shadow moves (Butterfree with Morning Sun, for example) as illegal unless I remove the move, so unless it's patched these shouldn't be on Showdown either. Not sure if gen 3 tutors would be the same, actually.
Somebody in the OU metagame thread claimed that purification exclusive moves from the GameCube games are not transferable into Home. While the above Mew dispels any doubt about tutor move from mainline games, what about event exclusive moves, such as the NY Pokémon Center Wish Chansey?

Somebody in the OU metagame thread claimed that purification exclusive moves from the GameCube games are not transferable into Home. While the above Mew dispels any doubt about tutor move from mainline games, what about event exclusive moves, such as the NY Pokémon Center Wish Chansey?
Hey, that was me. Sorry, I should have posted it here. They CAN be transferred into Home and SwSh, and you can use the moves in battle, but it says "there is something wrong" if you try to use them online, such as in Max Raids or online battles.

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hey, that was me. Sorry, I should have posted it here. They CAN be transferred into Home and SwSh, and you can use the moves in battle, but it says "there is something wrong" if you try to use them online, such as in Max Raids or online battles.
So you can't use all the new moves or just Wish ?

So you can't use all the new moves or just Wish ?
I have only tested purification moves. It simply rejects the pokémon until you delete that move.

Edit: To clarify, you can transfer purified pokémon into Home and SwSh, and use their moves ingame, but Max Raids and online battles won't let you use those pokémon.

Last edited:

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I generated a list of new moves/Abilities that were previously unobtainable in Pokemon Sword and Shield anywhere prior to the release of Home. Abilities were straightforward enough; for moves, I compared the differences in Pokemon that could learn the moves with !ds on a copy of Pokemon Showdown pre-Home and a copy of Pokemon Showdown post-Home, and cross-referenced it against Anubis's post and Kaphotics's list of snapped moves. There could well be things I'm missing.

New Abilities:
Friend GuardCleffa / Clefairy
AnalyticElgyem line
Flare BoostDrifloon line
TurboblazeReshiram / Kyurem-W
TeravoltZekrom / Kyurem-B
Long ReachRowlet line
Liquid VoicePopplio line
Full Metal BodySolgaleo
Shadow ShieldLunala
Prism ArmorNecrozma
Magnet PullMeltan

New Moves:
Blue FlareReshiram
Bolt StrikeZekrom
Celebratevarious
Doom DesireJirachi
Double Iron BashMelmetal
Freeze ShockKyurem-B
Fusion BoltZekrom / Kyurem-B
Fusion FlareReshiram / Kyurem-W
GlaciateKyurem
Happy Hourvarious
Heal BellCelebi by levelup, various
Hold BackCelebi, Munchlax / Snorlax
Hold HandsChariard, Pikachu, Raichu, Alolan Raichu
Ice BurnKyurem-W
Mat BlockThroh
Moongeist BeamLunala
Night DazeLunala
Photon GeyserNecrozma
Plasma FistsZeraora
Prismatic LaserNecrozma
PsystrikeMewtwo
Secret SwordKeldeo
Soft-BoiledMew / Cleffa line / Togepi line
Spectral ThiefMarshadow
Spirit ShackleDecidueye
Sunsteel StrikeSolgaleo
Vine WhipBulbasaur line

Edit: it appears that Powder is actually an unclickable move in Sword/Shield. All the other moves listed are clickable and behave like they should when used.

Last edited:
Edit: it appears that Powder is actually an unclickable move in Sword/Shield. All the other moves listed are clickable and behave like they should when used.
This is extremely odd since Ribombee can learn it as an egg move in gen 7 and can therefore be transfered. In fact I have seen screenshots on 4chan of a Ribombee with Powder grayed out.
Speaking of which, how does Home behave with Hidden Power and the likes, as in the moves that were actually intended to be permanently cut?

Speaking of which, how does Home behave with Hidden Power and the likes, as in the moves that were actually intended to be permanently cut?
It just shows a yellow warning on the pokemon and then on the specific moves if you check details.
The pokemon isn't blocked, the move is not deleted.

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Can the Rusted Sword/Shield be stolen? (both [1.] when held by Zacian/Zamazenta?, and [2.] when held by other mons?)

Negative answer to [1.] most expected due to the reaction of similar items (eg Griseous Orb) in the past, but can't find any confirmation online, unmaybefortunately.

Last edited:

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Is the sim bug that mimikyu's disguise breaking now keeps any type changes it had?
What about any other form changes like aegislash?
Form changes usually reset the typing. The sim bug is that the typing resets after the first hit, not at the end of the multi-hit attack as shown in the videos.

Breloom is shown to be getting Revenge through Pokémon Home. So I was wondering how Revenge and Technician interacts. That is, can you get the boosts of both at once?

Breloom is shown to be getting Revenge through Pokémon Home. So I was wondering how Revenge and Technician interacts. That is, can you get the boosts of both at once?
If Revenge's BP is boosted via its effect then technician doesn't apply, otherwise tech does work on the weaker version of revenge. This has been the case in past gens and similar moves, and it should be still the same in gen 8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)