2019-20 NBA Season

The gap created by Tim Duncan might close when the east stops sending shit below 500 teams to the playoffs. When a player representing the East makes to it the NBA Finals 8 years in a row, and can't make the playoffs his next/first year in the west. . .
However, we are starting to see a lot more talent and that's why I say the gap is closing

the argument that the east is weak doesn't really parse for me; so what the magic and the nets are sub .500, are we really pretending that the west's current 8th seed isn't a team who traded their two best players last year and was left for dead (and is also currently sub .500, just for the record). for me it's less that the west is a better conference and more that there's just more talented players there - on a holistic assessment the pistons are probably about as well-run as the suns or the wolves except the wolves have kat and the suns have dbook and the pistons have...an injured blake griffin. it's not the east's fault that talent has historically gravitated to la nor should the conference as a whole be blamed for the incompetence of teams like the cavs, bulls and knicks (and before you try and hold the west up as some shining example, suns, wolves, kings, and let's not pretend that the lakers weren't nearing outright collapse maybe a year ago).

maybe less relevant to the argument but in comparison to the west the east is certainly top heavy - the west's 3rd best team is either the young and unproven nuggets, the jazz who have no superstar and some noticeable holes, and the rockets who've spend the last five years inventing new ways to choke elimination games (and I'm not 100% sure that the clippers aren't somewhere in this category as opposed to being a top 2 team). this against the east who has a rapidly blossoming miami, a consistently excellent boston, a toronto team that's somehow looking to pull off a title defense despite kawhi leaving and a milwaukee thats gunning for a 70 win season (which you can't get to solely by beating up weak teams and that kinda nulls the 'the bucks are only doing well bc hurr the east is bad' as if they haven't kicked the shit out of virtually every good team in the west as well).

The east have a lot more incompetent teams than you mentioned. Bulls Knicks and Cavs are a nice start, especially because the latter two have very meddlesome owners. However, the wizards, pistons and hornets have all been shit show to mediocre at best going on a decade. It's also strange to me that everyone has forgotten what a debacle the nets have been this century. Not just the kg and pierce trade but also signing humphries and Crash to big contracts and wasting brook Lopez' prime years. And I dont even know where to begin with the magic post-Howard. That FO cant get out of it's own way and seems to be embracing the mid pack treadmill that charlotte and toronto used to have a monopoly on.

There are some bad ownerships in the west, with cheapass Sarver and the wolves Taylor leading the way and Divac doing his damndest to keep the kings a shit show, but the rest of the teams are either coming out of weird transition periods like the pels lakers, clippers and rockets or always in the mix like basically everyone else.

My point being that a lot of east teams have been run poorly by bad FO/ownership for decades while the west is so competitive that everyone has to take a turn at the bottom. (Your turn is coming up spurs, suck it!)

for me it's less that the west is a better conference and more that there's just more talented players there - on a holistic assessment the pistons are probably about as well-run as the suns or the wolves except the wolves have kat and the suns have dbook and the pistons have...an injured blake griffin.
Wait, the same Blake Griffin that the Pistons acquired from the Clippers? In that rip-off where they traded Avery Bradley, Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic, and two draft picks for him? Despite his 5-year, $173M contract and injury history? The Wolves at least drafted KAT (and desperate traded Kevin Love for... fuckin Andrew Wiggins) and the Suns drafted Booker. The Pistons drafted Greg Monroe, Brandon Knight, Andre Drummond, and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope in consecutive years, followed by Stanley Johnson after a gap year in which they attached their pick to dump Ben Gordon. That's just ass management. So ye I have to give the Wolves and Suns the edge here for at least being able to draft some promising players and keeping them. The Pistons are actively making garbage ass trades and draft selections, or they're just bad at developing said players. Or both.

maybe less relevant to the argument but in comparison to the west the east is certainly top heavy - the west's 3rd best team is either the young and unproven nuggets, the jazz who have no superstar and some noticeable holes, and the rockets who've spend the last five years inventing new ways to choke elimination games (and I'm not 100% sure that the clippers aren't somewhere in this category as opposed to being a top 2 team). this against the east who has a rapidly blossoming miami, a consistently excellent boston, a toronto team that's somehow looking to pull off a title defense despite kawhi leaving and a milwaukee thats gunning for a 70 win season (which you can't get to solely by beating up weak teams and that kinda nulls the 'the bucks are only doing well bc hurr the east is bad' as if they haven't kicked the shit out of virtually every good team in the west as well).
How are the Nuggets "unproven" but the Heat are "rapidly blossoming", the Jazz "have no superstar" but the Celtics are "consistently excellent", and the Rockets "spent the last five years inventing new ways to choke elimination games" while you've seemingly forgotten about LeBronto?

I'm not saying you're wrong about those West teams, and I agree that the East is top-heavy, but the East teams aren't really much better even though you're putting it in a nicer way. The Heat sure as hell have not been tested whatsoever, the Celtics were a total mess last season with Kyrie and let's not forget "wait for summer, Pelicans, Tatum will be available!!", and "this year is different for the Raptors!" during the DeRozan era.

How are the Nuggets "unproven" but the Heat are "rapidly blossoming", the Jazz "have no superstar" but the Celtics are "consistently excellent", and the Rockets "spent the last five years inventing new ways to choke elimination games" while you've seemingly forgotten about LeBronto?

I'm not saying you're wrong about those West teams, and I agree that the East is top-heavy, but the East teams aren't really much better even though you're putting it in a nicer way. The Heat sure as hell have not been tested whatsoever, the Celtics were a total mess last season with Kyrie and let's not forget "wait for summer, Pelicans, Tatum will be available!!", and "this year is different for the Raptors!" during the DeRozan era.
you're not wrong either idt - there's a bunch of weird dynamics between the conferences that make it hard to chart this stuff year in year out but I stand by my takes more or less (for example we can all agree that the east was in shambles in 2018 but the following year saw 3 potential superteams + the celtics in the east, while the warriors established themselves as head and shoulders above the rest of the west only to fall in the finals, yeah injuries but I truly believe they lose even if everyone on their roster but kd was healthy and kd turned them from alltime great team into a literal cheat code so its all fair).

anyways that's beside the point I think - the celtics had back to back conference finals appearances and made the second round last year despite the complete collapse of their locker room, and tatum is looking more and more like he could be the guy. I may have overrated the heat but jimmy is at least somewhat proven and the rest of the team looks solid (although their future contender status prob hinges on who they sign w all that cap space). as much as lebronto was a thing it was lowry and derozan against easily the best player of this generation, whereas the rockets had two superstars and a scheme crafted specifically to beat golden state and still lost over and over again (yeah I know I called golden state a cheat code but the rockets g6 losses in 2017 and 2019 were just really bad looks. certainly the raptors are not losing to cleveland if lebron's out with an injury).

for the west...the nuggets by contrast have one postseason appearance in recent memory where they lost to a shorthanded blazers outfit and arguably they're due for regression. the jazz have had their down year but I'm not quite certain they've bounced back enough, and I don't think I need to write an essay on all the ways the rockets could collapse under themselves. there's also little to no room for these teams to grow without internal jumps while both toronto and miami are openly gearing up for 2021 free agency to augment their existing cores (and boston can prob make a run at somebody too with hayward coming off the books). forgive me for assuming that the west is overly stagnant by comparison bc there are certainly exciting young teams there, it's just that the east's exciting young teams are already in the championship mix.

anyways this is kind of a silly argument, and it is certainly fair to assume that maybe the east's best teams are boosted by the bottom half of the conference being worthless (the magic are only decent because they've drafted and scrounged too many solid players to outright collapse like the 7 teams beneath them, although I think the nets deserve the benefit of the doubt considering the turnaround sean marks has pulled off) but at the same time the eye test and the stats seem to validate the east's upper crust ahead of the west's, and the milwaukee - toronto axis looks like a more convincing conference top2 than the la teams. but again this years playoffs could prove me completely wrong, who knows. should be interesting anyways I think.

anyways that's beside the point I think - the celtics had back to back conference finals appearances and made the second round last year despite the complete collapse of their locker room, and tatum is looking more and more like he could be the guy. I may have overrated the heat but jimmy is at least somewhat proven and the rest of the team looks solid (although their future contender status prob hinges on who they sign w all that cap space). as much as lebronto was a thing it was lowry and derozan against easily the best player of this generation, whereas the rockets had two superstars and a scheme crafted specifically to beat golden state and still lost over and over again (yeah I know I called golden state a cheat code but the rockets g6 losses in 2017 and 2019 were just really bad looks. certainly the raptors are not losing to cleveland if lebron's out with an injury).

for the west...the nuggets by contrast have one postseason appearance in recent memory where they lost to a shorthanded blazers outfit and arguably they're due for regression. the jazz have had their down year but I'm not quite certain they've bounced back enough, and I don't think I need to write an essay on all the ways the rockets could collapse under themselves. there's also little to no room for these teams to grow without internal jumps while both toronto and miami are openly gearing up for 2021 free agency to augment their existing cores (and boston can prob make a run at somebody too with hayward coming off the books). forgive me for assuming that the west is overly stagnant by comparison bc there are certainly exciting young teams there, it's just that the east's exciting young teams are already in the championship mix.

anyways this is kind of a silly argument, and it is certainly fair to assume that maybe the east's best teams are boosted by the bottom half of the conference being worthless (the magic are only decent because they've drafted and scrounged too many solid players to outright collapse like the 7 teams beneath them, although I think the nets deserve the benefit of the doubt considering the turnaround sean marks has pulled off) but at the same time the eye test and the stats seem to validate the east's upper crust ahead of the west's, and the milwaukee - toronto axis looks like a more convincing conference top2 than the la teams. but again this years playoffs could prove me completely wrong, who knows. should be interesting anyways I think.
I agree with you on the Celtics, but to me they're more the "blossoming" team vs the Heat. Not really anything worth debating, though.

I can't say the same for the Nuggets. The most experienced player they have is Paul Millsap at 13 years in the league, and the next one on the list is already Will Barton at 7. They're very much up and coming IMO: Jokic is only in his 4th year, Murray his 3rd, Harris 5th, and MPJ is only a rookie. Their loss vs the Blazers was just last year and it was their first playoff appearance with this core.

The Jazz have certainly had their ups and downs, but mostly I think people got too excited over Donovan Mitchell's rookie year.

The Clippers really are a bit of an unknown. They've only been fully healthy for a grand total of 5 games this season, and tbh I'm not sure they're really injured or if they're just trying to rest guys and coming up with random injuries to get around "load management". Can't really write them off just yet, because for all we know they'll be ridiculously healthy come playoff time.

Like everyone else said, the East is full of shitty organizations.
The Knicks are the Knicks.
The Cavs can't win without LeBron.
The Hornets, Pistons, and Wizards can't draft for shit.
The Magic are obsessed with drafting centers.
The Nets have been a dumpster fire for most of the 2010s.
The Bulls got lucky with the players they got and they still ruined their chances thanks to GarPax.
Tell me again that the East isn't weak competition?

Like everyone else said, the East is full of shitty organizations.
The Knicks are the Knicks.
The Cavs can't win without LeBron.
The Hornets, Pistons, and Wizards can't draft for shit.
The Magic are obsessed with drafting centers.
The Nets have been a dumpster fire for most of the 2010s.
The Bulls got lucky with the players they got and they still ruined their chances thanks to GarPax.
Tell me again that the East isn't weak competition?
The East is still better with 6 solid teams with some flaws than last years ago where we had only Cavs with LeBron and Celtics. Bottom 8 teams in East are so bad, Nets will be a good team with KD and Kyrie next season.

I am not a fan of Utah Jazz. I watched them and their offensive, defensive or both is either trash or good, no between. I really like what Wolves doing, they are cleaning the horrible roster and got Russell which they are trying to make Towns happy. Wolves offense looks so much better than before the trade, I am looking forward to see what Wolves will do.

The big problem with the Jazz is Conley has has not been good. It's rather embarrassing they paid him a nice chunk of change to put them over the top and he has looked washed at times. The other problem they have is too many cooks in the kitchen; Mitchell, Ingles, Bogdanovic and Conley are all good-excellent ball handlers but when they're on the court together it throws the team out of sync because they all need the ball to be most effective. They also suffer defensively anytime Royce's O'neal is out as he's their best wing stopper. No easy solutions for Utah besides Donovan becoming a better passer or Conley making a return to previous form

Former Laker Jordan Clarkson's been a good pick up for them though.
He's good for some instant offense off the bench but again he requires the ball in his hands to be effective. What the jazz need are another spot up shooter or someone who can run around screens and pin downs and pull up for a quick shot. Of course every team in the league wants more of those so good luck with that at this point in the season.

Btw I think we finessed the Pistons with the Markieff buy out. Clips gave up their last assets for Marcus and we paid nothing for his twin. I'm excited to see him contribute as out backup stretch 4; adding an absolute dog to our team cant hurt either. Someone who isnt afraid to mix it up with other bigs when things get chippy

Jazz-Thunder game tonight suddenly postponed. I hear Gobert and Mudiay became sick so you obviously have to assume the worst at this point. Or maybe this is just a clever form of load management, idk.

This sucks. All of it. NBA teams playing in empty arenas. MLB teams playing in empty stadiums. March Madness playing without fans. All of it sucks and makes sports as a whole incredibly depressing. I can't even imagine a buzzer beater 3 for the win and the upset in March happening with zero crowd reaction. It's a horrifying thought, although I can understand the reasons, it doesn't make it any less depressing

And now the entire season has been suspended indefinitely.

Gobert's DPOY = Dumbest Player of the Year after his comments making light of the virus. Hope he never lives this down. Also fuck China for starting this whole mess

This sucks. All of it. NBA teams playing in empty arenas. MLB teams playing in empty stadiums. March Madness playing without fans. All of it sucks and makes sports as a whole incredibly depressing. I can't even imagine a buzzer beater 3 for the win and the upset in March happening with zero crowd reaction. It's a horrifying thought, although I can understand the reasons, it doesn't make it any less depressing
And now the entire season has been suspended indefinitely.

Gobert's DPOY = Dumbest Player of the Year after his comments making light of the virus. Hope he never lives this down. Also fuck China for starting this whole mess
Rest of the NBA season has been suspended with Gobert testing positive for coronavirus
I don't even know what to think anymore. This past week has been so terrifying and depressing. My university is sending all the students home for spring break and transitioning to only online classes. I take online classes anyways but fuck man.

This is pretty unprecedented, but the right move. Hope more entities/businesses adopt the same aggressiveness here, because this is the best and quickest way to limit exposure to the virus and ensure recovery

It's highly contagious but not really that deadly. Obviously it sucks to be sick and you don't want it to spread, but taking the right measures and maintaining personal hygiene should be enough to not get the virus.

It's highly contagious but not really that deadly. Obviously it sucks to be sick and you don't want it to spread, but taking the right measures and maintaining personal hygiene should be enough to not get the virus.
Sure, but your personal hygiene is only as good as the people around you in the case of something as contagious as this

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm so lost without the NBA and sport in general, that at this rate, if we're forced into quarantine, I'll probably play competitive Pokemon again :psycry:

So Woj just released that FOUR Nets players have tested positive for coronavirus. The NBA is definitely not returning in 30 days
EDIT: Apparently one of these Nets players is Kevin Durant

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)