Done Options for automatically doing /ionext, /timer on, ignoring spectators etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I'm surprised nobody made a thread about this yet in suggestions, since I often hear it anecdotally. All of these could be settings in the top-right drop-down, or else implemented in some other way. All of these commands are possible normally, but a sort of persistence setting would be for the users' convenience.

Automated /ionext
  • Replaces the need for typing /ionext before every challenge / ladder battle.
  • Useful for players doing multiple test matches with other players via challenges
  • Useful for players who prefer to ladder with anonymity; e.g. they don't want replays saved or don't want spectators / theoretical scouting bots joining
Automated /timer on
  • Automatically turns on the timer when a battle begins, requested by the particular user.
  • Can still be turned off by the player that started the timer; this would be unlike a manual timer enforced and started by Showdown itself, and more like a player started the timer.
  • Useful for VGC players who want to replicate cartridge settings while playing matches.
  • Useful for players who often turn on timer automatically at the start of matches to keep the pace of the game lively.
  • If both players have the automated /timer on setting on, you would probably determine the player that the start of the timer comes from by using the same method of determining player 1/player 2 for purposes of things like Dancer speed ties.
Automated /ignore spectators
  • Toggles the "ignore spectators" battle options for every game.
  • Useful for players who don't mind spectators watching, and so don't need /ionext, but still don't want to read comments.
These seem to be the primary commands that I hear requests for from the VGC community in particular as far as convenience features. I suppose this could be expanded to /ignore opponent as well, but I haven't heard much ask for that.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Automated /ionext is planned, it requires a login protocal change and is not going to be done quickly as a result (the last thing we want to do is botch that so nobody can login to PS). This change will also fix blockchallenges/pms not being persistant.

• If both players have the automated /timer on setting on, you would probably determine the player that the start of the timer comes from by using the same method of determining player 1/player 2 for purposes of things like Dancer speed ties.
i would maybe prefer if either player could disable the timer, as maybe one player need stop at will

AFAIK the issue with that is a player could continually disable the timer without making a move, essentially bringing back the issues with timer stalling.
then the other player can reenable
the other solution is to require both players to unstart it but probbly has coding probs

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
AFAIK the issue with that is a player could continually disable the timer without making a move, essentially bringing back the issues with timer stalling.
then the other player can reenable
the other solution is to require both players to unstart it but probbly has coding probs
The timer is currently programmed so that it tracks who has requested the timer to be on.
EG:
Player 1 uses /timer on
Player 2 cannot turn the timer off since they did not turn in on.

Both Players turn the timer on.
Both Players must turn the timer off for it to actually turn off.

Pls add a permamute bottom so we don't have to press the ignore opponent buttom each time we get in a game!

pre

pkmn.cc
Did all of these. Didn’t bother with Ignore opponent, but if someone wants to add it my commit should make it fairly obvious how to do so.

I'm surprised nobody made a thread about this yet in suggestions, since I often hear it anecdotally. All of these could be settings in the top-right drop-down, or else implemented in some other way. All of these commands are possible normally, but a sort of persistence setting would be for the users' convenience.

Automated /ionext
  • Replaces the need for typing /ionext before every challenge / ladder battle.
  • Useful for players doing multiple test matches with other players via challenges
  • Useful for players who prefer to ladder with anonymity; e.g. they don't want replays saved or don't want spectators / theoretical scouting bots joining
Automated /timer on
  • Automatically turns on the timer when a battle begins, requested by the particular user.
  • Can still be turned off by the player that started the timer; this would be unlike a manual timer enforced and started by Showdown itself, and more like a player started the timer.
  • Useful for VGC players who want to replicate cartridge settings while playing matches.
  • Useful for players who often turn on timer automatically at the start of matches to keep the pace of the game lively.
Automated /ignore spectators
  • Toggles the "ignore spectators" battle options for every game.
  • Useful for players who don't mind spectators watching, and so don't need /ionext, but still don't want to read comments.
These seem to be the primary commands that I hear requests for from the VGC community in particular as far as convenience features. I suppose this could be expanded to /ignore opponent as well, but I haven't heard much ask for that.
[/QUOTE
hands cookie for makeing this suggestion

GaryTheGengar

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
is it possible to make this impossible for the opponent to turn off? I use ionext mainly because I don't want large groups of users spamming memes on my battles, but those kind of users just turn off the hidden room as soon as the battle loads. Kind of defeats the purpose imo

pre

pkmn.cc
is it possible to make this impossible for the opponent to turn off? I use ionext mainly because I don't want large groups of users spamming memes on my battles, but those kind of users just turn off the hidden room as soon as the battle loads. Kind of defeats the purpose imo
Room privacy commands (like /ionext) already have the notion of a 'privacy setter', and only the original privacy setter (or staff) should be able to relax the privacy. If this isn't the case and the implementation is actually broken, please report this as a bug.

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
hey so I do product management for a living, and I have some pretty strong feedback for the " Don't allow spectators" button feature. It is not just 'ionext' in button form. I understand that this was meant for tour players and youtubers to hide their games easier, but the ease of use and lingering that it does (lingering meaning that it's automatic until actively unclicked ) not only takes away the user's agency, it guarantees that large majority of the users will be the unintended users for this and thus have a larger effect than intended. The market size for who this was intended for and who's using this is on the scale of 10000x , and thus now virtually 80% games above 1600 are hidden and it even games in the 1200s + are being hidden on the regular. A lot of this is due to people just clicking it and forgetting about it, as seen in this exchange here, which in turn goes against the goals of the site to have a community of games and people exchanging ideas.

"
☆Omari P: why is this game hidden
☆ASD 999: no clue i dont remember clicking it
ASD 999: it is dumb. high key makes the sight look dead when you go to watch battles
ASD: site*
"
It's an antisocial and anitcommunity feature, as it shoehorns hidden games and it makes it harder to enjoy the experience of watching or sharing games with other users. A better idea would be to make the ionext far more visible, maybe even having a dropdown in settings so that users that actively care about this featuer will go through and click it. Or at the very least having to click it each time, so that you simulate the ionext experience, because the consequence is that people just forget and it has far wider reach than intended.

MAMP

MAMP!
I agree with this. I often like to spectate Balanced Hackmons matches, which is a bit of a smaller ladder, and there have been far fewer public games to watch since this button was implemented. I would definitely like it if it was harder to set ionext and forget about it because I know that TimmyMewtwo12345 at 1150 on the BH ladder isn't trying to hide his teams from tournament opponents or anything like that.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I of course had all this in mind: It's why ionext was originally a command with no persistence in the first place.

Sadly, times have changed, people want privacy, and there's only so much we can do about that.

There are compromises, I suppose, but I suspect people won't like them.

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
I of course had all this in mind: It's why ionext was originally a command with no persistence in the first place.

Sadly, times have changed, people want privacy, and there's only so much we can do about that.

There are compromises, I suppose, but I suspect people won't like them.

Getting rid of the button is the first step, let's call this first rollout a beta. There could be a persistent version of /ionext that has a signal to the user that they are in this mode and here's a command to pull them out of it; just a flag. or if you want more people to get into it, make ionext more visible, actually, have all of the commands more visible.

Dont know if its possible but is there a way to make an ionext command that would last for a whole ladder session? So you type the command and then it lasts until you go offline and then it resets. Gets rid of the hassle of typing it before every game and also gets rid of the issues with the checkbox

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Someone locked this, probably because Drew_ 's comment should be posted as a separate suggestion. In general I think all this follow-up stuff should be posted in a new suggestion.

I'm just posting to clarify that the lock doesn't mean "stop talking about this".

Reactions: pre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)