Tournament AGPL II - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icemaster

Few will truly understand.
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
RBTT Champion
These are my personal thoughts, no offense if your team gets ranked low, hopefully you can successfully prove this wrong.
Power Rankings:

5th:
Velvet Blood, Sitonai, Cam, bread sandwich, Frogger1387, vivalospride, martha, Jordy, mc56556, Alpha Rabbit, PinkDragonTamer, Felucia, -Latios-, Geysers, Dream
The main problem with this team would be the low amount of quality builders. They do have Sitonai + Velvet Blood which I do think is quite a powerful USUM core if they aren't rusty, AGL + Geysers will probably struggle in upholding the team's Natdex by themselves. Galar, BO3, ORAS look like difficult slots for this team to fill. They have some good players with good prior records: eg Cam, Vivalospride but also have a lot of players who have scarcely played AG: PinkDragonTamer, Dream, -Latios-, Felucia, Martha, Jordy. If they can get some good teams, and the new players make a successful debut, this team can do well but I find it unlikely.
Strong points: USUM
Weak points: Teambuilding, Galar, ORAS, Natdex, and USUM or BO3 could be weak if VB is moved away from there.

4th:
Fardin, Zesty43, cromagnet, xavgb, WSun1, Shivam3299, Andyboy, highlighter, perfect minun, aesf, highlord, GL Volkner, Birds30, Racool, Jrdn
I think this team is actually pretty decent. Fardin, Zesty43, Cromagnet, WSun1 and potentially Shivam3299 are all capable players and I think will be able to provide some strong team support to their other players such as Jrdn, highlighter who have done well in past AG tours when supplied teams. With the right team support, I can see this team doing quite well, but it will probably take some figuring out of which lineup is optimal, given there are 16 players. Cromagnet is a good galar slot, and I think Natdex and ORAS have the potential to be good depending on which lineup they come up with and if builds are supplied. USUM is strong, and BO3 Fardin should be good.
Strong points: USUM, Galar, BO3
Weak points: Natdex, ORAS to an extent.

3rd:
PurpleGatorade, Catalystic, absdaddy, Skysolo, Guardsweeper, Viduf, Alkione, Mr. 378, March Fires, Byronthewellwell, Lasen, Staxi
If I didn't know about last year's AGPL, I would put this team 4th. But, PG + Catalystic is a good USUM core, with other players they can slot in there too, Skysolo, Byron, Alkione, etc. ORAS should be okay seeing as Catalystic and PG are both good players and can provide team support to whichever ORAS Uber player they think can adapt to it well enough (March Fires?). Galar seems difficult, while we have a full house of Ubers players, it turns out SS ubers isn't popular lol, so they haven't actually got any Galar mains. BO3 should be fine but putting one of PG/Cata does detract from USUM. Natdex will probably be tragic, and I think a big weakness would be relying on Guardsweeper/Catalystic/PG to build for most of the team, seeing as they are generally busy anyway they will probably burn out.
Strong points: Largely the same lineup that won last AGPL, USUM, BO3.
Weak points: not many builders - there will be pressure on the 3 mentioned earlier, Natdex, Galar

2nd:
Precious Pichus: pichus, HunterStorm, Thimo, 64 Squares, TrueNora, Zayele, Monsareeasy, power, Ainzcrad, Donnothefirst
Same core as last year but with some stronger other spots this time, so the reliance on pichus/thimo/hunterstorm isn't as big this year. This is a good team. TrueNora is one of the best SS Ubers players and should be able to adapt well to Galar AG as it is basically just Pre-dyna ban ubers + DLC changes. Zayele + Donnothefirst + HunterStorm is a great USUM core. Pichus' building support is icing on the cake. ORAS has thimo who should do well. Natdex or BO3 is however a weaker point depending on which one Pichus decides to not go in.
Strong points: USUM, ORAS, Galar, building support, BO3.
Weak points: Overreliance on 3 players? Natdex.

1st:
Skarph, BaconEatinAssassin, ADF Test, Mysterious M, l'habitat, Dockiva~~, GRNBLN, Lotiasite, default0, ericwangswim, YaBoi JD

Skarph is the strongest USUM slot and potentially the same can be said in BO3. He has learnt a lot of the other tiers and so I think he'd be able to provide great team support. BaconEatinAssassin is the best Natdex player, with the best builds to match, coming of a SSNL win from losers :(. ADF is good at both Natdex and USUM, with him probably going in Natdex as this team already has a strong USUM base anyway. The third natdex slot is a bit weaker though, but Lotiasite/MM/Ericwangswim can hopefully fill this with Bacon's builds. L'habitat is one of the strongest Galar slots additionally, if not the strongest, coming off a Cup win. MM/Dockiva/GRN/default0 are a very good, if underrated USUM players and I think will be able to shine with the building support offered by this team. ORAS however, looks problematic, but 6 rais should do the trick.
Strong points: USUM, BO3, Natdex except the third slot, Galar, building support.
Weak points: ORAS

Last edited:

pichus

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
OMPL Champion
instead of making a pr and offending managers/players ill simply just give my views on the teams

:sm/sableye:

I think fardin went with a really high risk high reward strategy strategy here. drafting 16 players is a big risk to begin with. i can see fardin struggling to pick the best 8 since atleast 12 players on the team are good enough to be in the starting lineup and i feel like youre going to end up using different lineups every week. personally id use the same lineup for 2-3 weeks atleast to see which players are performing well and make changes accordingly but that doesnt seem like an option unless the plan here is to not make a few players play at all (basically just hiring them to build teams). I wouldve totally tried to get a good natdex builder instead of getting the 6 extra players (3k*6 = 18k so u def missed out on a solid player) but im excited to see how he deals with this. speaking of building, the lack of ag mains on this team is also a bit concerning. they have just 3 good builders (in fardin zesty cro, all 3 are rusty-ish) and building 10 teams for the first few weeks can be pretty tiring and might compromise with the quality of teams. i think that relying on highlighter + jrdn + andyboy + stresh + aesf + leru to pick up ag in 2 weeks is a bit risky but given how good these players are (skill wise) i can def see this happening. racool and gl volkner are fairly familiar with ag so this can prove to be helpful. ag mains on the teams are pretty solid as well but yet to prove themselves in tour games. from what im understanding, the idea here is probably subbing out hl/jrdn/stresh/aesf/racool/volkner/leru for the first 2 weeks so that they have enough time to learn ag. then put them in the lineup starting from week 3 and get wins. pretty smart plan and would be excited to see how this turns out.

:sm/houndoom:

basically the same team as last year but they have 2 very good nat dex players in guardsweeper and staxi which means that they wont be struggling with teams again. i see a lot of competition for the usum and galar slots but thats not a big issue. this plan is pretty similar to fardin's, except his team has OM mains and pg's players have far more experience in AG than the om ones do. mr378 and march fires are great additions to the team since ive heard that theyre OP in ubers. would be interesting to see if they can perform just as well in ag as well. and ofcourse purple + cata core is very solid too, if theyre both motivated then teambuilding shouldnt be an issue at all. skysolo, alkione and byron have tons of ag experience as well and overall i think this is definitely a buffed version of last years houndooms so id expect them to perform well again.

:sm/marshadow:

easily the best team mentioned in this post. but honestly I really dont see how this team can mess up. Zenithial is a top 2 usum player, ice is a top 2 nat dex player, pigeons is one of the best bo3 player out there. mz with zen's teambuilding support sounds scary af. chloe and mdb are very solid nat dex players. crucify is a top galar ag slot especially with ice's support. lbdc and arif are rly good support to the team. terra and illama are innovative builders, not very familiar with ag but they have a lot of support so they'll eventually pick it up with ease. this team is nearly flawless and I actually cant find a way to criticize them. theres only one issue with this team but id rather not say it here ( iykyk :) ). im kidding, unless they get haxed every week, theyre easily a lock for finals.

:sm/arceus:

another team with very skilled players. only problem here is that this team desperately needed a good builder and thats why the 5 extra players were a questionable choice. that being said, if hb velvet cam frogger are motivated enough to build there own teams then this should not be a problem at all. its also worth noting that velvet secured a LOT of steals (viv, pdt and jordy in specific) which is always nice for a team. geysers, mc and agl will provide solid nat dex support. they have the best global driver ever aka felucia so thats another plus. im not very familiar with rest of the players on the team so i wouldnt judge but ive only heard nice things about them. excited to see how this team performs.

:sm/darkrai:

darkrai mascot but 0 oras mains smh. this is obviously not the most noticeable thing though. the team features arguably the best usum and natdex player, default0 and baconeatinassassin. adf, mm and grnbln are guaranteed to give good results with the support from the aforementioned 2 players. lhabitat recently won the galar ag cup which automatically makes them one of the better galar players in the draft. loti is a solid usum slot if hes motivated enough to build (or ill have to pass him magshed stall in semis again D:). dockiva was a great buy since hes really good at nat dex as well as usum. jd and eric are nice nat dex support. i feel like people are rly underrating this team. definitely a contender for finals as well.

thank you for reading and gl to everyone ~

:sm/pichu:

Tier list:
S+ Banana Bread and Ketchup
I think this dish reserves the S+ rank. Great and versatile texture, taste and appearance stats. Easily the best food ever, can be eaten as breakfast, lunch and dinner.

S Nutella Mayo Ketchup Sandwich feat. Dr. Sausage
This is barely not at the top due to a below average taste but the rest is pretty much perfect. Could see it raise in ranks once the peanutbutter DLC drops which raises the taste stat on this sandwich to abnormal levels.

S Pineapple Pizza
This dish has most of it, its antimeta and can run a plethora of different sets. I might be overrating it, but I believe this should be ranked this high.

A+ Salted Apple
This fruit has a really high salt stat, which comes in handy when facing the likes of Banana Bread and Ketchup and Nutella Mayo Ketchup Sandwich feat. Dr. Sausage. It is kind of generic and can only run 1 set, but I believe this should be ranked as high due to taking on 2 S ranks really well.

A Raw Cow Tongue
Really high tough stat dish, can wall half the meta and requires the strongest teeth to beat. Easy A rank for that alone.

B+ Shrimp served on a greasy plate
High risk, but high reward dish. It's ability Confused Waiter means it gets a *4 Taste stat multiplier, but at cost of a 50% tripping chance and doing self damage that turn. You can use it alongside the item Glass of Water which decreases both multipliers and self damage by 50%, but it comes with a high oppurtunity cost.

B Chocolate Bunny dipped in Soy Sauce
Really high taste stat, but low on toughness and texture. It only has one niche, but a really big one: it's Ability Strong Taste means it'll overwrite any Taste multipliers for the rest of the match, which is pretty big. Its other stats are pretty low ranking it a spot this low.

C+ Pepper and Salt
Yes I know it's an item, but I think it deserves a rank solely as item. You see it on so many foods and dishes. It deserves a spot above some foods. It boosts taste stat on many things. Not doing this comes with a slight oppurtunity cost as not many items help as much as this, the ones that do are usually dish exclusive.

C Onion
This food has 1 niche, and 1 niche only. It induces the Cry status condition when it gets hit. A very sharp taste and high toughness but it has a really bad texture, which is so bad it warrants a C rank at best.

C Foot
I didn't want this ranked but Chloe swears by it and she has won with it before, haven't seen much else from it.

D Beans
Some people swear by it which is why we ranked it, I just think its nothing more than an overrated, overused and annoying meme. It checks Chocolate Bunny dipped in Soy Sauce I guess...

Welcome to the Power Rankings for AGPL II! This is the second edition of these power rankings, with the goal of these rankings to hype up the upcoming few weeks and give a representation of where each team is believed to stand in relation to the other teams. To obtain these rankings, for every single Tier, we have asked 1 person from each team to rank everyone not on their team in that tier. To further reduce bias, the highest and lowest scores from each tier were removed when calculating the stats. The calculation for the total score is determined by the sum of scores for each tier; first place gets 6 points, second place gets 5 points, etc.

For tiers with more than 6 people, I decided to divide the score by the number of slots to balance it out. For example, National Dex has 3 slots, so scores would range from 1-18, which would be scaled down to between 1/3 and 6.

So complicated ties were actually surprisingly common but I decided to break it by first the 3 rankings in the middle going from low to high, then the lowest rank, then the highest rank.

Even though the whole system serves to be as unbiased as possible, it does not mean these rankings will be predicative of final results! If you or your team end up low on this power ranking, please don't take it to heart; this tournament is meant to be fun and it is up to you to prove opinions wrong! However, if you feel that your pride hinges on these rankings, you may feel free to voice your complaints here and they might be answered.

A big thank you to all of the managers for contributing to the rankings! This includes pichus PurpleGatorade Skarph Icemaster Velvet Blood Fardin

Now, here are the rankings!
RankingNat DexUSUMBo3GalarORAS
1BaconEatinAssassinZenithialSkarphl'habitatHunterStorm
2icemasterCatalysticThimocrucifyChloe
3pichusSitonaiPurpleGatoradecromagnetADF Test
4GuardsweeperMZPigeonsTrueNoraHighlord
5KaitlynGRNBLNFardinAlkioneabsdaddy
664 SquaresZayeleVelvet Bloodfrogger1387dream
7StaxiDockiva~~
8TerracottaZesty43
9GeysersDonnotheFirst
10lotiasiteSkysolo
11Jrdnvivalospride
12AndyboyLeru
13xavgb
14Bread Sandwich
15byronthewellwell
16Ainzcrad
17ericwangswim
18PinkDragonTamer
RankingTeamScore
1The Menacing Marshadows37.50
2The Dream-Shattering Darkrais32.67
3The Precious Pichus30.17
4The Horrendous Houndooms26.33
5The Salt Mining Sableyes19.00
6The Abyssal Arceus14.33

For more details, feel free to click here or the title for detailed rankings.

Hope we have a fun second AGPL!

ADF Test

Banned deucer.

Welcome to the Power Rankings for AGPL II! This is the second edition of these power rankings, with the goal of these rankings to hype up the upcoming few weeks and give a representation of where each team is believed to stand in relation to the other teams. To obtain these rankings, for every single Tier, we have asked 1 person from each team to rank everyone not on their team in that tier. To further reduce bias, the highest and lowest scores from each tier were removed when calculating the stats. The calculation for the total score is determined by the sum of scores for each tier; first place gets 6 points, second place gets 5 points, etc.

For tiers with more than 6 people, I decided to divide the score by the number of slots to balance it out. For example, National Dex has 3 slots, so scores would range from 1-18, which would be scaled down to between 1/3 and 6.

So complicated ties were actually surprisingly common but I decided to break it by first the 3 rankings in the middle going from low to high, then the lowest rank, then the highest rank.

Even though the whole system serves to be as unbiased as possible, it does not mean these rankings will be predicative of final results! If you or your team end up low on this power ranking, please don't take it to heart; this tournament is meant to be fun and it is up to you to prove opinions wrong! However, if you feel that your pride hinges on these rankings, you may feel free to voice your complaints here and they might be answered.

A big thank you to all of the managers for contributing to the rankings! This includes pichus PurpleGatorade Skarph Icemaster Velvet Blood Fardin

7StaxiDockiva~~
8TerracottaZesty43
9GeysersDonnotheFirst
10lotiasiteSkysolo
11Jrdnvivalospride
12AndyboyLeru
13xavgb
14Bread Sandwich
15byronthewellwell
16Ainzcrad
17ericwangswim
18PinkDragonTamer
RankingTeamScore
6The Abyssal Arceus14.33

no johns

7StaxiDockiva~~
8TerracottaZesty43
9GeysersDonnotheFirst
10lotiasiteSkysolo
11Jrdnvivalospride
12AndyboyLeru
13xavgb
14Bread Sandwich
15byronthewellwell
16Ainzcrad
17ericwangswim
18PinkDragonTamer
RankingTeamScore
6The Abyssal Arceus14.33

If this were true every single game played so far was an upset lmao

yo it's MC mcdaddy thimo
I lost my game to velvet
that's why I'm writing a rap
to celebrate life and death
I'm so ready, put on ya strap

yo yo ughn ughn
I did my very best
in this hard test
velvet is a goat
I'm very stoked
she really ain't bad
she beat thimoat

Reconsidering life
my choices, my path
a carreer in math
get kids, find a wife
filled without wrath
wondering bout' afterlife
really, if it doesn't work
I might just grab a knife

I went into the game
with much confidence
I ain't misogynous
lost a game, took blame
there's no incompetence
I've been pretty tame
velvet GGs, I'm proud
you should rise to fame

Can't hide it anymore
the source of my anger
it came from some banter
man, catalystic, that whore
made me write this banger
he really made me sore
I'm quite hurt and in pain
haven't made this public before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)