SPOILERS! Sword and Shield in-game team discussion thread

I will start my Pokemon Shield playthrough in a few days and my planned final team looks like this:

Cinderace
Raichu
Ferrothorn
Milotic
Togekiss
Mudsdale

I already did some research and I found out that Milotic will be available very late in the game.
So I will probably have to use another water-type pokemon to beat the story.
Which water-types other than the water/flying type ones (I don't like those) can be recommended?
How about Crawdaunt? I noticed your team doesn't exactly have a fast route towards taking out Ghost-types, (importan because Ghost gym) and Crawdaunt is a Water-Type that also has Dark STAB for this.

You can either catch Corphish at South Lake Miloch, (somewhat inconsistent) or by fishing in Galar Mine 2. (15% chance there) You should be able to get Corphish by at least Kabu, potentially earlier.

How about Crawdaunt? I noticed your team doesn't exactly have a fast route towards taking out Ghost-types, (importan because Ghost gym) and Crawdaunt is a Water-Type that also has Dark STAB for this.

You can either catch Corphish at South Lake Miloch, (somewhat inconsistent) or by fishing in Galar Mine 2. (15% chance there) You should be able to get Corphish by at least Kabu, potentially earlier.
Okay... that sounds logical.

So it will be:

Ferrothorn
Crawdaunt
Cinderace
Togekiss
Mudsdale / Hippowdon
Raichu

Not sure about Raichu though. Is it any good?

Okay... that sounds logical.

So it will be:

Ferrothorn
Crawdaunt
Cinderace
Togekiss
Mudsdale / Hippowdon
Raichu

Not sure about Raichu though. Is it any good?
Let me be honest: you can faceroll the story with whatever.
Pikachu is a rare spawn relatively early , but once you get a thunder stone, you get access to the entire moveset of raichu right away (as they are all lvl 1 moves)

I am on my second playthrough right now, this time I chose Inteleon as starter.

The first playthrough was not that difficult beside the final champ battle and the final battle against the rival in which he uses the legendary pokemon (I did not use Zamazenta and Eternatus, so he had some edge).

This time I'll use:

Inteleon
Boltund
Corviknight
Gardevoir
Mudsdale
Obstagoon

Mudsdale really impressed me in my first playthrough, that's why it's in again. All of these pokemon are early accessible too, well you need a bit luck to get a Ralts early on in the wild area, but I found one, so I might as well use it.

After finishing the story I will play the DLC content and breed some pokemon I think.

I just had a general question. I'm kinda new so I wasn't sure where to post it, but does anyone know why an offical in game tier list hasn't been made yet. Every other game usually had one made by now. Just kinda curious why Sword & Shield never got one.

I just had a general question. I'm kinda new so I wasn't sure where to post it, but does anyone know why an offical in game tier list hasn't been made yet. Every other game usually had one made by now. Just kinda curious why Sword & Shield never got one.
Was answered already a couple times but I don't mind anwering again: essentially it's impossible.
The fact wild area is a thing makes everything veeeery complicate as the amount of pokemon, evolutionary items and TR you gain access from it is ridicolously big.

There's a number of factor one would need to consider or exclude being
- Weather
- Raids
- Willingness to time travel
- Willingness to blow RNG at the digging duo
- TRs
- Exp candies

If you aren't factoring time travel, then what you get access to is pure RNG based on which day you play the game.
If you *do* factor timetravel, then you can basically decide what pokemon you want to get and they all require same effort.

If you don't factor in raids, you have to factor the above.
If you do, then exp candies and TR break the game.

All this makes a tierlist just not realistic.

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
Haven't even finished the game yet.

Currently unsure on what the best stuff to use is, I kinda wanna get a taste for the new mons but I also want the team to be good.
The only new things I'm keen on using are Corviknight and Darmanitan-G. Everything else will probably just be whatever's worked well for me in previous games.
There are a lot of posts to this thread, what's everybody's thoughts on the starters? I'm currently guessing Sobble is the best choice but idk.

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
One completed game later and I have findings.
My final team: Inteleon, Corviknight, Excadrill, Conkeldurr, Gengar, Darmanitan-G

Thoughts:
Inteleon wasn't often useful but I did find myself needing the water STAB. I reckon you could probably replace this after Gym 3 w/ some other water type.
Corviknight was underwhelming. Roost only being an egg move kinda sucks, it was moderately bulky though.
Excadrill was the GOAT. Can't really fault it too much and mine was Sand Force.
Conkeldurr was second GOAT, decently bulky w/ a solid enough learnset throughout.
Gengar was great but I did spend watts to give it Shadow Ball earlier than it should've gotten it.
Darmanitan-G often kills, but often dies. Solid pick but not the GOAT I had hoped it would be.
Vileplume is something I had early game, absolutely recommend it if you didn't choose Rillaboom, I probably should've kept it.
Vulpix was great early game too.
Kinda wish I'd caught a Kirlia since Gardevoir would probably have been really useful.

One year later.

The team was Rillaboom, Corviknight, Sirfetch'd, Flapple, Centiskorch, Galarian Darmanitan, and Arctovish. I had to purposefully use a seventh team member just to have a shot at a little bit of challenge.

Rillaboom wasn't too useful overall for whatever reason. There were always more exciting or flashier team members to put up front for whatever reason. I've been able to EV and hyper train it into a decent Grassy Glide set since.

Corviknight is very good. Takes a while to evolve, which is suitable. It's good glue, and generally indestructible in exchange for often not being the strongest hitter.

Sirfetch'd isn't too useful either. Powerful, but slow and not all too bulky. The issue is that Fighting is just not a great typing if you don't have the natural bulk in place. Practically no notable resistances, I recall it having a hard time finishing a KO at times.

Centiskorch was nice. It's nothing amazing, but it's a unique experience with a cool typing, being utilized for a physical attacker this time. Fire Lash is a satisfying STAB. I don't recall getting much use out of Coil.

Flapple was an interesting experience. Applin's evolutions are not strong enough to justify it being so difficult to raise. I guess it's technically one of the few times I remember overcoming adversity of some degree in the playthrough. Who wouldn't go call only being able to use Astonish as adversity? Once the stupid thing finally evolves, Flapple makes for a unique and worthy team member. I'm disappointed by its low speed and frailty, a truly annoying combination. The coolest thing about it is that Grav Apple is a very rewarding STAB, and Draco Meteor came in handy for stronger NPCs. It also levels up really fast, which is pleasant.

Darmanitan's Gorilla Tactics can sometimes be more hindering in single player than they would be in competitive. It's a physical Ice type attacker, I don't regret using it. I really like Unova Darmanitan, and Galarian Darmanitan feels like a parody of its Fire type counterpart's brainless gameplay. Darumaka was a bit of trouble to raise, though.

I'm so glad I used Arctovish. I revived it around the time I had left Circhester. It plays pretty much exactly like Lapras or Walrein would. You're so slow that Fishious Rend doesn't really make much of a difference, but it's still pretty reliable at 85 base power. Freeze Dry is a nice coverage move for hitting fellow Waters that would otherwise wall you. It's got decent, all-around natural bulk, so it can tank a few hits. I love the personality it brought to my team, with two types I usually don't expect anything memorable out of.

It's hard to feel attached to your gen 8 teams with the forced XP share. It's too easy to leave one team member in the back for so long and yet they'll still be higher leveled than everybody. Unless you go out of your way to put them in the box, of course. I don't feel like I should have to do that. I enjoyed when every level was earned. Pokemon games have indeed always been easy, but they were also satisfying to counteract that. Im satisfied when each team member earns those levels; I get more time to use each of them. Now I have to actually go out of my way for that same experience. By the end of it, Flapple is naturally the most overleveled one. This XP share ultimately leads you to only pull out the team members that have a good rock paper scissors matchup, since now, there's no need to worry about the mons in the back not being able to level up. This means that Rillaboom and Flapple or Darmanitan and Arctovish are always fighting for action. Flapple, being much more interesting, naturally gets more attention while I kinda just shove Rilla to the side. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I wish they'd let us choose if we want our games to be easier than not.

In the end, I think I used some of Galar's best Pokemon on this team. With enough patches and bottle caps, I should be able to turn them all into actually battle ready Pokemon, which is really cool that I get to do that now. Even in Sun and Moon, getting to 100 was much grindier, and there were no mints.

So my current line up is Reshiram, Melmetal, Cinderace, Rillaboom, Haxorus and Larvitar

Wondering if I should swap Haxorus or Larvitar out for a fairy type potentially? Mainly weak when it comes to fighting and ghost types so have to base the moves around that possiblity for sure

So I haven't finished DLC 2 yet to unlock this, but how much Dynite Ore do you get from endless Dynamax Adventures? I'm a thirsty slut for those sweet sweet Hidden Ability Capsules. I've heard it's more than from regular Dynamax Adventures and I hope so, because 7-9 isn't even close to enough.

Gonna start on the game soon, here's my planned team:

Tyranitar:
Dragon dance
Earthquake
Crunch
Stone edge

Lucario:
Nasty plot
Aura sphere
Flash cannon
Shadow ball

Gardevoir:
Moonblast
Psychic
Energy ball
Calm mind

Toxtricity:
Boomburst
Overdrive
Sludgebomb
Thunder wave

Cinderace:
Pyro ball
U turn
Bounce
Iron head

Dracovish:
Fishious rend
Ice fang
Outrage
Psychic fangs

Hopefully it isnt that hard to put the team together!

About to start my first playthrough, haven't touched pokemon in a while. I have a planned team of something like

Arcanine
Ludicolo
Flygon
Corviknight

and then 2 other ones I haven't settled on yet.

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.
Just happened across this thread and figured I'd talk about the team I used in Pokemon Sword when I beat it day one

:ss/Inteleon: I'm someone who almost always picks the Water starter in whatever Pokemon game he plays, so when Sobble was revealed naturally I decided to go for it (even if I was very tempted to use Scorbunny). I like Inteleon's design well enough but as an in-game team member? It really just felt like a budget Greninja. Yeah it was stronger but it lacked Gren's Dark typing. In fact, it lacked a lot of what made other Water starters interesting so it ended up just being a pretty generif fast, strong Water type which, while effective, wasn't all that glamorous. Not only that, but in most instances past the 3rd gym where Inteleon could be useful, I found myself just using my other, more interesting mons for the most part, so Inteleon spent a good chunk of the game in the back passively collecting EXP. It wasn't a bad mon per se just not a very interesting one.

:ss/Corviknight: This was a mon I fell in love with the moment I saw it in the trailers and the moment I could pick up Rookiedee, I did it without any hesitation. To be blunt, this thing was the MVP of the run, coming right out the gate with a decent STAB move and a good boosting move in Hone Claws and only getting better and better as the game went on, culminating in an absolute monster of a Pokemon that through a combination of Hone Claws (later Bulk Up) and its STABs, tore through just about every normal trainer and boss fight it took part it. It got to the point where I had to deliberately go out of my way to use my other members because Corviknight found it so goddamn easy to just rip through a significant chunk of the game. It helped significantly that Corviknight wasn't just bulky, but that the game itself was really not prepared for a Steel/Flying type. The only bad thing about it was that I couldn't get Roost on it since it was an egg move but I'd like to think that was the game trying desperately to prevent it from completely crushing the region. Honestly if you want any semblance of challenge, don't use Corviknight.

:ss/Toxtricity: Initially, I was planning on using Yamper/Boltund since I thought it looked cute and outside of Inteleon/Corv I was just picking up random mons to see how they'd fit, but after Yamper turned out to completely suck and realizing I could just get this thing for free, I decided to pick it up and I was definitely not disappointed. It takes a bit of babying to get it to evolve, but once it does it just put in a ton of work between its STABs and later Boomburst. It wasn't exactly the most fastest or bulkiest Pokemon, but it put in a good amount of work over the course of the game and was a great go-to option when I needed click buttons.

:ss/Centiskorch: Same deal as Toxtricity in a way. I was initially using the Blipbug line, it started falling off, I saw this thing in Kabu's gym, picked it up and dropped Blipbug, and never looked back. Centiskorch was actually the first Bug type I've ever used in a normal playthrough and thankfully, it didn't disappoint in the slightest. Bug/Fire STAB isn't the absolute best, especially for gyms (except Piers where it completely dominated) but it's still a pretty decent STAB to have when u wanna rip through routes and the rivals. It didn't have the best coverage but between STABs and Coil it didn't really need it tbh. Really solid mon.

:ss/Sandaconda: Sandaconda was something I decided to pick up because I figured I could go for a really nice Ground type, and it exceeded my expectations in that regard. Like I was just expecting it to take on Electrics and Fires and stuff, but between Glare, Headbutt, Bulldoze, and later Coil, it was actually a really clutch tank that could stop dangerous setup sweepers and even become one itself. It had issues hitting Flying types later on once I went with Glare/Bulldoze/Coil/secondary Ground move I think but outside of that it was able to hold its own against just about anything and especially came in handy vs Hop, Raihan, and Leon. Sand Spit was a bit annoying, but also really nice at the same time, letting it slowly but surely chip down stuff and increasing its tankiness. It also paired really well with Corviknight in that regard.

:ss/Grapploct: Gonna be honest, this is the one addition I actually regret. See, after Circhester I realized that I didn't really have anything great for Normal types and I wanted a Fighting type. I was also getting kind of desperate to round out my team since I hadn't found anything I liked beforehand (I renegged on Falinks and I blew through their areas so fast I couldn't find Impidimp and Sinistea) and in a moment of "sure, why not" I went ahead and grabbed the static Grapploct. It was...well it was a bog standard Fighting type. It did its job really well, especially against Hop's Snorlax and Raihan's Duraladon, but outside of that...it was just kinda okay. I kinda wished I used something else though.

Overall, I liked my Sword team for the most part. It had a nice level of diversity, each member had their chance to shine (some more than others) and I really felt like I got a taste of what Galar had to offer.

In terms of best to worst I'd probably rank them Corviknight>Toxtricity=Centiskorch>Sandaconda>Inteleon>>>Grapploct

About to start my first playthrough, haven't touched pokemon in a while. I have a planned team of something like

Arcanine
Ludicolo
Flygon
Corviknight

and then 2 other ones I haven't settled on yet.
So far I have just gotten to Hammerlocke/Wild Area, and I have been extremely lucky. I caught glowing Rookidee that came with the egg move Roost, encountered a Trapinch in one of my first big pokemon battles in the Wild Area... then go to the Pokecenter to be told I have Pokerus haha! This is the run! Just searching for a Flash Fire Growlithe then I'll start progging

Olive the Rookidee lvl 17
Pluck / Payback / Hone claws / Roost

June the Ludicolo lvl 18
Mega Drain / Water Gun / Absorb / Mist

Ringo the Trapinch lvl 17
Sand Tomb / Bite / Mud Slap / Astonish

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
So far I have just gotten to Hammerlocke/Wild Area, and I have been extremely lucky. I caught glowing Rookidee that came with the egg move Roost, encountered a Trapinch in one of my first big pokemon battles in the Wild Area... then go to the Pokecenter to be told I have Pokerus haha! This is the run! Just searching for a Flash Fire Growlithe then I'll start progging

Olive the Rookidee lvl 17
Pluck / Payback / Hone claws / Roost

June the Ludicolo lvl 18
Mega Drain / Water Gun / Absorb / Mist

Ringo the Trapinch lvl 17
Sand Tomb / Bite / Mud Slap / Astonish
I'm usually not the kind of guy that comments on this kind of stuff, but something about someone getting back into Pokemon and sharing their first playthrough back makes me want to give some helpful notes and something about helpful notes lead to evil grinning. You might want to ignore what I say about Rookidee for the sake of you sanity and what I say about everything else for the sake of not breaking the game.

Rookidee's final evolution his hard to kill without Super Effective hits and, with Roost, isn't going to die unless you let it die. You could get away with using Swagger and Screech as "offense" instead of attacking moves and still be able to 1v1 a ton of stuff, even with the bad luck you'd deserve from using confusion. (Source: I did that. It's fun to watch Pokemon 2HKO or even OHKO themselves.) Also, I wonder how different my playthrough would've been if I found my Roost Rookidee at the beginning of the game instead of the end. Probably with relying on Roserade more because of having Dubwool instead of Toxapex. (I won't talk about my playthrough much because it's pretty far from a normal playthrough.)

First thought about Ludicolo, Ludicolo almost always disappoints. Second thought, then again, that's partly because of Water Stones being so late in Hoenn and wait... Ludicolo evolves with a Water Stone... And you said something about Growlithe too? Yeah. I'm putting this in a Hide tag because it could make the game very easy if you know about it. Then again, you already have Roost Rookidee and Pokerus... Still, this is crazy enough to make Growlithe the Pokemon used in Shield Speedruns.
One thing they changed with Stone evolutions in SwSh is they still don't learn moves by Level up, but they didn't want Pokemon to be unable to learn moves they would've been able to if it hadn't evolved. If you go the any of the Free Move Reminders, you'll wonder why they made Evolution Stones available that early. Enjoy Giga Drain/Zen Headbutt/Bubble Beam/Hydro Pump! >:D (What was Game Freak thinking?) You may want to restrict yourself to moves Lombre would be able to know at their Level if you can/want to restrain yourself.

Vibrava can learn Bug Buzz from the Move Reminder. Even if you don't teach it, there's another move that's much better and one that you don't get to try before the end game very often. For the sake of not spoiling if you don't want to break the game too much, let's just say it's related to why Ludicolo and Growlithe are really really good.

TL;DR Your team looks powerful.

By the way, how good is Zigzagoon in game? I found a Level 14 Shiny one on Route 3 when trying to get a Stunky with Haze. (Yes, I know there were better ways to get that Egg move than looking for glowing Pokemon. I didn't feel like looking up who could pass it to Stunky and by the time I did I felt like I wanted to finish what I started... Turns out, terrible idea I think it took over a week and I the eighth Stunky was the one that finally knew Haze.) Actually, I don't care that much. It's shiny and I'm letting a newb friend use it on an alternate user for my Switch so someone can play Shield in a remotely normal way. Shiny Pokemon are always worth using even if they suck! :D That said, it was viable in OU, so it can't suck that much if it somehow sucks.

On your gamebreaking notes - oh I know, that's half the reason. I also just got Wild Charge from another cave battle thing and now Arcanine is OP af.

Zenya the Slowpoke lvl 26
Confusion/Tri Attack/Water Pulse/Yawn

Ringo the Trapinch lvl 27
Dig/Bulldoze/Bite/Facade

Olive the Corvisquire lvl 28
Pluck/Payback/Hone Claws/Roost

Lucy the Arcanine lvl 27
Flamethrower/Crunch/Wild Charge/Extremepseed

June the Ludicolo lvl 28
Fake Out/Giga Drain/Hydro Pump/Nature power

I got the DLC too so have been exploring the Armour Isle... I still have 0 badges lmao

On your gamebreaking notes - oh I know, that's half the reason. I also just got Wild Charge from another cave battle thing and now Arcanine is OP af.
You may want to know that fighting the various raid dens *will* inevitably break your playthroughs.
Not only you get access to strong TRs super early, but you also get flocked by exp candies, which while nice if you want some newly caught poke to catch up, also can have the opposite effect of overleveling your main team.

Obviously, that's not a issue if you don't mind breaking the game eh. Just, rather know it beforehand :)

(Besides, SwSh is on the easier side of the pokemon games, I'd say it's slightly harder than gen 6 and 7 games but on other hand it gives you a ludicrous amount of options to break it so, do with the info what you want)

Yeah the team is extremely strong and over leveled, but I'm still having fun exploring all the wild areas and DLC stuff.

Rookie the Heracross lvl 48
Brick Break/Aerial Ace/Throat Chop/Pin Missile

June the Ludicolo lvl 49
Fake Out/Hydro Pump/Giga Drain/Ice Beam

Ringo the Flygon lvl 48
Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Crunch/Dragon Dance

Lucy the Arcanine lvl 47
Flamethrower/Wild Charge/Crunch/Extremespeed

Zenya the Slowpoke lvl 48
Psychic/Surf/Grass Knot/Slack Off

Olive the Corviknight lvl 50
Brave Bird/Steel Wing/Hone Claws/Roost

Kin+ak (✧∇✧)

I COULD BE BANNED!
I had great fun playing the game, finishing With a team
-cinderace
-boltund
-toxtricity
-gurrdurr
-coalossal
-corviknight
The first legal pokémon game i ever played! It was so fun and unforgettable.
somewhy leon's charizard was lvl64 during the last battle. I swear i don't lie, altho in every Other run i made It was lvl65

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)