Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Special Reunion
i feel like this has been suggested enough (mostly as part of 'gen 1 in gen 7'), not sure if its expressly banned though
Eviolite:
The same thing applies. Eviolite reduces damage, not increasing your SpD. You can actually see this in action as Body Press is not boosted by Eviolite.
fyi eviolite DOES increase defensive stats; body press just does not take defense boosts other than raw stat and stat changes into account.
Amnesia/Nasty Plot/Cosmic Power:
With Amnesia and Nasty Plot, you are essentially giving a Pokemon 2 Calm Minds in 1 turn, while Cosmic Power is essentially Calm Mind if it boosted Defense as well.
tbh if you ban these you ban a lot of the appeal of the meta

fyi eviolite DOES increase defensive stats; body press just does not take defense boosts other than raw stat and stat changes into account.
Really?
What a really weird move Body Press is.
I thought that it only displays that on Showdown like how Choice Band displays Atk stats like they are at +1, where the scenario of if mattering wasn’t significant enough to change a few lines of code.

Anyways, I have a new OM idea.
Pokemon exchange a boost for a loss depending on your slot.
1 - HP Heals by 25% every turn, All incoming attacks will land no matter what.
2 - 50% Attack Boost, 50% Defense Drop
3 - 50% Defense Boost, 50% Attack Drop
4 - 50% Special Attack, 50% Special Defense Drop
5 - 50% Special Defense, 50% Special Attack Drop
6 - 50% Speed Boost, Ability Nullified

I feel like Archeops would benefit from this meta, losing that horrible ability and becoming very speedy. Chansey would MURDER stall and be able to become very defensive, more than it already was.

Do you think I should change the boosts?
Bumping to get feedback lol

I feel like Archeops would benefit from this meta, losing that horrible ability and becoming very speedy. Chansey would MURDER stall and be able to become very defensive, more than it already was.

Could you explain a bit more on this idea?

TCGification
Type Swaps Here
(Poison counts as Dark, and there is no fairy. Dragon counts as it's own type.)
The metagame functions as normal, but with one change - the typings. Pokemon that normally had horrible typings like Lapras holding them back now can thrive in OU (Lapras becomes pure water). Pretty strait forward.

I think it is pretty straightforward. Read it again, but don't speedread.
Details can be important, dude. How are the stat changes applied? Are the buffs applied directly to to the stat, a la Huge Power or Ice Scales, or are they stat boosts, a la Withdraw or Growth? This matters in terms of how strong you can become after using setup moves, and regarding whether the boosts can be eliminated by things like Intimidate or Haze.

Please do not condescend others who ask for more information about your ideas.

If I'm reading it correctly, once a Pokemon in a given party slot faints, the rest of the party gets a boost determined by that party member's slot (or in the case of the sixth mon fainting, the whole party gets fucked and loses their abilities).
Details can be important, dude. How are the stat changes applied? Are the buffs applied directly to to the stat, a la Huge Power or Ice Scales, or are they stat boosts, a la Withdraw or Growth? This matters in terms of how strong you can become after using setup moves, and regarding whether the boosts can be eliminated by things like Intimidate or Haze.

Please do not condescend others who ask for more information about your ideas.
The stat changes are applied directly to the stat. And they did not specify in how they wanted me to elaborate, so...I don't know how to help them understand it better. I'm not condescending them at all. But if it came across that way, I am sorry to Cuddly. But I don't think I was a robber falling from the sky. (Con-descending? Get it? No? Okay.) And I am not mad at them whatsoever.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
We are, as of now, instituting a one week cooldown for workshop submissions.

This is designed to do several things
1) Prevent good ideas being lost in a hail of other ideas
2) Encourage posters to consider what ideas they wish to post more carefully so overall quality can be the highest possible
3) Allow us to focus on the development and nurturing of ideas to their maximum potential

What this does NOT do is limit the amount of feedback you can give or the amount of growth an idea can have in the workshop. Once an idea is posted please feel free to discuss it as much as you feel is helpful.

Posts that break this rule will be deleted, with further punishment possible for repeat offenders.
Past posts that don't adhere to this guideline are fine.

Feel free to message me on here, Discord, or Pokemon Showdown if you have any questions.

This was a meta back in USUM, but I thought it could do with a revival and a new twist.

Gods and Followers

Welcome to Gods and Followers, a meta where you get to use one Uber Pokémon on your team as your god. The rest of your team must share at least 1 type with your god, so if Yveltal was your god you could use Corviknight and Tyranitar on the same team. If your god faints, your team will be subjected to the Embargo effect, meaning they will no longer be able to use items. In exchange for their servitude, the rest of the Pokémon on your team will be granted 1 move from your god's movepool that they couldn't learn already.

Here's an example of what a team will look like.

Banlist & Clauses

OU Banlist minus gods
OU Clauses
Gift Clause - your god may not pass the same move to more than one team member.

Watchlist
Rusted Sword
Calyrex-Shadow
Tapu Lele
Terrain Extender
Q & A

Why Embargo?

I wanted a punishment that was sever but it wouldn't be an automatic loss if you lost your god, so your god can still put in good work but you still can't afford to be too reckless.

Why did you include the ability for gods to share a move?

It gives Ubers that would otherwise rarely ever be used a chance to shine. For instance, why would you use Lunala when you can use Calyrex-Shadow? Because Lunala gives you a lot of cool options like Roost, Defog, Teleport, Heat Wave, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, Moonblast etc.

If my god faints, can the other Pokémon on my team still use the gifted move?

Yes.

What about moves from events etc.?

They're fair game. If the god can legally use them in SS, they can pass them.

What about Pokémon that change types?

They give the types they have outside of battle. So Zacian and Zamazenta give pure Fairy and Fighting even if they hold their respective items.

Do I have to use an Uber as my god?

Nope! In fact some OU mons can offer great stuff. Heatran, for instance, gives an excellent type combination and a solid movepool. If you have no Ubers the Pokemon in the first slot is your god.

Do I have to lead with my god?

Nope you can still lead with whatever you want

What Pokemon benefit from this?

Tapu Lele springs to mind. Remember how we were all nervously sweating about it getting Expanding Force? Well now it does - every Psychic god gives it that move. Xerneas also gives it the awesome Geomancy.

Alolan Marowak is also a strong choice. Ho-Oh lets it use a Fire STAB with no recoil. Giratina and Marshadow both give it Shadow Sneak, a form of STAB priority. Calyrex-Shadow, Lunala and Dawn Wings Necrozma all give it Trick Room to circumvent its low Speed.

Dragapult can have a strong Ghost STAB with Giratina and Lunala both giving it Poltergeist. Marshadow gives it Spectral Thief.

Keldeo finally gets Ice Beam from Palkia, Kyogre and Pheramosa. Pheramosa even gives it Quiver Dance if you're not interested in coverage.

Garchomp can have Dragon Dance courtesy of Rayquaza and the Tao Trio.

Last edited:
This was a meta back in USUM, but I thought it could do with a revival and a new twist.

Gods and Followers

Welcome to Gods and Followers, a meta where you get to use one Uber Pokémon on your team as your god. The rest of your team must share at least 1 type with your god, so if Yveltal was your god you could use Corviknight and Tyranitar on the same team. If your god faints, your team will be subjected to the Embargo effect, meaning they will no longer be able to use items. In exchange for their servitude, the rest of the Pokémon on your team will be granted 1 move from your god's movepool that they couldn't learn already.

Banlist & Clauses

OU Banlist minus gods
OU Clauses
Possible Bans
Rusted Sword
Calyrex-Shadow

Q & A

Why Embargo?

I wanted a punishment that was sever but it wouldn't be an automatic loss if you lost your god, so your god can still put in good work but you still can't afford to be too reckless.

It gives Ubers that would otherwise rarely ever be used a chance to shine. For instance, why would you use Lunala when you can use Calyrex-Shadow? Because Lunala gives you a lot of cool options like Roost, Defog, Teleport, Heat Wave, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, Moonblast etc.

They give the types they have outside of battle. So Zacian and Zamazenta give pure Fairy and Fighting even if they hold their respective items.

Nope! In fact some OU mons can offer great stuff. Heatran, for instance, gives an excellent type combination and a solid movepool. If you have no Ubers the Pokemon in the first slot is your god.

This idea seems fantastic! Only a question: are the mythical like mew considered as legendary? Because they have the bigger movepool in the entire pokedex so they can be quite problematic.

This idea seems fantastic! Only a question: are the mythical like mew considered as legendary? Because they have the bigger movepool in the entire pokedex so they can be quite problematic.
It works like this:
Do you have 1 Pokemon that is normally considered Uber tier on your team?
Yes: That's your god.
No: The Pokemon leading your party is the god.

As far as the mythicals go, I really don't see the threat. Other than Arceus (which is not legal in SS btw) they all have a lower BST than other Ubers, meaning you have to use a weaker god. While it's true that Mew has an incredible movepool, it locks you into using just Psychic types and Mewtwo gives you almost everything Mew does (barring Swords Dance, Dragon Dance and the hazards) and you get a much stronger god.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball

Gods and Followers

Banlist & Clauses

OU Banlist minus gods
OU Clauses

Watchlist
Rusted Sword
Calyrex-Shadow
Tapu Lele
Terrain Extender
Q & A

Why Embargo?

Tapu Lele springs to mind. Remember how we were all nervously sweating about it getting Expanding Force? Well now it does - every Psychic god gives it that move. Xerneas also gives it the awesome Geomancy.

Alolan Marowak is also a strong choice. Ho-Oh lets it use a Fire STAB with no recoil. Giratina and Marshadow both give it Shadow Sneak, a form of STAB priority. Calyrex-Shadow, Lunala and Dawn Wings Necrozma all give it Trick Room to circumvent its low Speed.

Dragapult can have a strong Ghost STAB with Giratina and Lunala both giving it Poltergeist. Marshadow gives it Spectral Thief.

Keldeo finally gets Ice Beam from Palkia, Kyogre and Pheramosa. Pheramosa even gives it Quiver Dance if you're not interested in coverage.

The move aspect of this makes me think of Follow the Leader. I could see fusing those two metagames being interesting, but I'm not sure. I would like to see Gods and Followers back, as it's a cool metagame that's a twist on Monotype, which isn't something many other metas we have do.

I'm not sure about the move mechanic, so I'd like to discuss that more here and see how others feel.

Frozen in Time:
this is a pretty similar idea to lockdown except the affect is perma every turn and the permaness is every turn. Anything that lasts a certain amount of time now lasts forever including screens and trick room.
Some bans might be aloraichu because it abuses eleterrain hard and some slow trick room abusers
This is, while an interesting idea, not a metagame that would be fun to play. It would be super matchup based and the entire match would be setting and removing various field conditions. I can't see this being fun.

This is a Pet Mod. The boosts would need to be consistent for us to even consider it. Besides that I fail to see what is interesting or entertaining about it.
Special Reunion

In the transition from Pokemon RGBY to GSC, the split between the Special stat into the Special Attack and Special Defense was made to balance Pokemon such as Alakazam who had its Special incredibly high. For Kanto Pokemon, they either had identical SpA/SpD (such as Dragonite), gained in one or the other stat (such as Snorlax), or took a lose in one of those stats (such as Alakazam).
In this metagame, the SpA and SpD of all Pokemon will be unionized by the average (rounded down) of their Specials into 1 Special stat, and moves that boost either will be boosting by the same stages but for just the Special stat.

As an example:
:Togekiss:
In this meta, Togekiss will have the following stats
85/50/95/117/80.
Here, instead of having a 120 Special Attack or Special Defense 115, Togekiss now has a 117 Special instead. This is because the average of 120 and 115 is 117.5. This is rounded down to be a whole number.

Let’s also examine some special (pun intended) cases with moves, abilities, and items:

Boosting moves that boost one stat:
Moves such as Nasty Plot, Amnesia, and Charge Beam will boost the entire Special stat by how many stages they raise their respective stat. Nasty Plot will raise Special by 2 stages, Amnesia will raise Special by 2 stages, and Charge Beam will raise Special by 1 stage.

Boosting moves that boost both stats:
Moves such as Calm Mind, Quiver Dance, and Geomancy will simply have the boosts condenced. Calm Mind will raise Special by 1 stage, Quiver Dance raises Special by 1 stage and speed by 1 stage, and Geomancy will raise Special by 2 stages and Speed by 2 stages.

Shell Smash:
Due to Shell Smash decreasing Special Defense while increasing Special Attack by 2 stages, Shell Smash will instead increase Special by 1 stage. The reasoning is that when Shell Smash is used, it will have a turn that would decrease Special by 1 stage (when subtracting the user’s bulk stages), then increase Special by 2 stages (when adding the offensive stages). This just nets the user with +1 Special each use of Shell Smash.

Ice Scales:
Due to its fuctionality, Ice Scales will reduce Special damage, not double your Special.

Eviolite:
The same thing applies. Eviolite reduces damage, not increasing your SpD. You can actually see this in action as Body Press is not boosted by Eviolite.
Edit: Apparently, Eviolite does indeed boost SpD, and it’s just that Body Press has a weird interaction with Eviolite and Choice Band.

Choice Specs/Wise Lens:
This item, like with Choice Band/Muscle Band, increases the damage of moves, not your actual stats. Again, you can see this with Body Press being more powerful with Choice Band/Muscle Band.

Assault Vest:
It’s pretty hard to say for sure, as there is no Def version if Assault Vest. However, with Psyshock/Secret Sword, we can see that Assault Vest does indeed increase Special Defense, so it will increase the Special Stat by x1.5.

Sand Stream/Sandstorm Weather:
Similar to Assault Vest, this increases your Special Stat instead of decreasing special attacks, so it will increase the Special of Rock types in Sand by x1.5 as well.

Light Ball/Clamper Items:
Light Ball will increase Pikachu’s Special by x2, and so will Deep Sea Scale/Tooth for Clamperl (if it does get released in the future)

Potential Bans and Threats:Assault Vest:
Assault Vest is essentially a Choice Specs that reduces Special Damage and has a much kinder restriction than being Choice Locked. The only setback is that you can’t use Amnesia or Nasty Plot. It will easily be the top of the threat list and likely banned early on.

Amnesia/Nasty Plot/Cosmic Power:
With Amnesia and Nasty Plot, you are essentially giving a Pokemon 2 Calm Minds in 1 turn, while Cosmic Power is essentially Calm Mind if it boosted Defense as well.

:Diancie::Shuckle::Nihilego::Tyranitar: in Sand:
With Sand, Rock types get a free Special boost, and these have excellent Specials as well. Diancie being the biggest threat here as it gets Amnesia, an amazing Special movepool, and a strong Def.

:Clefable::Quagsire::
Both packing Unaware make them incredible at beating opposing Amnesia abusers. You either have to beat them before they boost, bypass their Amnesia boosts, or hit them physically.

:Swoobat::
Even with a Special stat if 66, its Simple Nasty Plot, Timid gives Swoobat 693 Special, which is higher than 255 with Modest, and almost reaches Blissey’s HP. It does have weak physical bulk and Stored Power won’t be as strong as its regular Calm Mind.

Questions:
-What restricts should be added to Nasty Plot, Amnesia, and Cosmic Power?
-How should Assault Vest and Sand be handled differently?
-What about Natures? Especially Careful and Rash?
I've definitely seen this before. I wish we could do this objectively, but there's just too much where we have to make up how it would work. It would make a fun Pet Mod, but I don't know how well it would work as an OM. Feel free to try and convince me otherwise.

TCGification
Type Swaps Here
(Poison counts as Dark, and there is no fairy. Dragon counts as it's own type.)
The metagame functions as normal, but with one change - the typings. Pokemon that normally had horrible typings like Lapras holding them back now can thrive in OU (Lapras becomes pure water). Pretty strait forward.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/type-condensing-playable-on-rom.3573231/#post-6822753
Lapras would absolutely suck still don't fool yourself.
I can't say whether this would be approved but it's existed in the past in a similar form. Check out that thread.

The move aspect of this makes me think of Follow the Leader. I could see fusing those two metagames being interesting, but I'm not sure. I would like to see Gods and Followers back, as it's a cool metagame that's a twist on Monotype, which isn't something many other metas we have do.
this wouldn't have the same restrictions as FTL; the addition of choice makes it still unique enough
This is a Pet Mod. The boosts would need to be consistent for us to even consider it. Besides that I fail to see what is interesting or entertaining about it.
tbh a 'choose X stat to boost by 50% and have/choose another stat to be lowered' would be better, but probably a meta not worth playing
i think having "a different set modifier for every slot' still counts as an om though; its a rule consistent for every team
Since dexit dex heres another dex like meta.
Regional dex.

Basically the concept of this meta is that only pokemon in the regional dex are allowed.
Obviously this won't be possible for swsh(unless people want to do pre-DLC meta again)so the meta would take place in gen 5,6,7 and use the second version if they have it.
old but scrolling back: 90% sure this would be in a ruleset of *some old vgc* of each gen

The boosts are 100% consistent, I'm not trying to be rude but I don't understand where you got that from. And the Meta would be a gamble, you know, High Risk = High Reward? I feel like the meta could be like that, and I feel that is why people would play it. Pure Glass Canons or Defensive Walls could improve in this meta, but in order to win big, you have to risk it. Like gambling.

I think I got 2 new name ideas just by typing this.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
The boosts are 100% consistent, I'm not trying to be rude but I don't understand where you got that from. And the Meta would be a gamble, you know, High Risk = High Reward? I feel like the meta could be like that, and I feel that is why people would play it. Pure Glass Canons or Defensive Walls could improve in this meta, but in order to win big, you have to risk it. Like gambling.

I think I got 2 new name ideas just by typing this.
HP and Speed are completely inconsistent with the rest. There's no reason beyond being a buff and a nerf for HP to be the way it is.

In general the meta would play much like OU with mixed attackers being easier to slap on a team. The boosts in offensive and defensive stats pretty much cancel out, but fat stuff doesn't mind the offensive drop nearly as much as offensive stuff minds the bulk drop because there's another attack stat they can use.

Overall there aren't many new toys to generate interest and not much promise the meta will bring much new to the table.

What if it was based on nature instead? That gives the player more control, avoids the HP problem, and allows for cool lures because there's no reveal of the boost at team preview. I'm not sure I'd approve that either but it captures the spirit of the meta and IMO works better.

What if it was based on nature instead? That gives the player more control, avoids the HP problem, and allows for cool lures because there's no reveal of the boost at team preview. I'm not sure I'd approve that either but it captures the spirit of the meta and IMO works better.
I'm not sure what you mean by that but it sounds good. Maybe a 50% boost and drop to replace the regular nature boosts.

Name: Genderbuff

Metagame premise
:
If a male or female Pokemon faces an ungendered mon, its attacks are both stronger by 15% and it takes 15% less damage.

I wanted to utilize an easy to understand mechanic that isnt used yet. There is no Meta that uses the gender of a mon. I also like Metas where Ou and UU Pokemon are buffed so they can compete with Uber Pokemon, like in MixandMega
Potential bans and threats: Tier is Ubers:
Zacian-Crowned; maybe Urshifus;
Questions for the community:
Do you think the 15% boost is reasonable or should it be higher/lower?

Last edited:
Name: Genderbuff

Metagame premise
:
All male or female Pokemon have their attacks boosted by 15%, unless they face a Pokemon of the opposite gender - then those attacks are weakened by 15%. If a male or female Pokemon faces a ungendered mon, its attacks are both stronger by 15% and it takes 15% less damage.

I wanted to utilize an easy to understand mechanic that isnt used yet. There is no Meta that uses the gender of a mon. I also like Metas where Ou and UU Pokemon are buffed so they can compete with Uber Pokemon, like in MixandMega
Potential bans and threats: Tier is Ubers:
Zacian-Crowned; maybe Urshifus;
Questions for the community:
Do you think the 15% boost is reasonable or should it be higher/lower?
This is just "everyone has Rivalry", it would be mostly RNG since most people don't bother setting a gender, and even if they do set a gender, there's barely any incentive to use one over another on a given Pokemon, so it's still just coin flips.

Ok, i will keep only the second condition then. I changed the post above.
Alternative idea: Male Pokemon receive a 25% Buff to their Attack and defense while female Pokemon receive a 25% Buff to their Special Attack and Special defense against anyone.

Last edited:
Ok, i will keep only the second condition then. I changed the post above.
Alternative idea: Male Pokemon receive a 25% Buff to their Attack and defense while female Pokemon receive a 25% Buff to their Special Attack and Special defense against anyone.
I'm not sold on the idea of genderbuff. Gender isn't exactly one of the more interesting pokemon mechanics to play with, and I'm not sure how you can modify it enough to make it interesting. In battle, Gender only affects attract, captivate, cute charm, and rivalry, which isn't a ton of material to start with. Most pokemon can be either gender, and will just choose whichever attacking stat they benefit from, and a few pokemon get slightly screwed over (e.g. latios, nidoking, arguably blissey). And all the non-gendered pokemon get indirectly nerfed, which I assume is why this is ubers-based, but it also indirectly nerfs a bunch of already lower tier mons, like cyrogonal, or virizion. This feels almost like a version of tier shift that just gives most non-Uber pokemon a buff, while buffing only a few ubers (darmanitan and landorus-I both have gender).

Also, it feels weird that you are considering an ubers-based metagame for this. A flat 25% boost to power, accompanied by a 25% boost in bulk means that the meta doesn't seem much more offensive or bulky overall, so it's not like the overall power level is inherently increased to ubers levels. Most gendered mons are still going to be sub-ubers level in power, I think. Worse, most ubers do not have a gender, so most of the metagame seems unlikely to use the new mechanics. Also, given that it's ubers-based, why would you consider banning Zacian, which doesn't have a gender, so it is not directly affected by this metagame?

Also, it feels weird that you are considering an ubers-based metagame for this. A flat 25% boost to power, accompanied by a 25% boost in bulk means that the meta doesn't seem much more offensive or bulky overall, so it's not like the overall power level is inherently increased to ubers levels. Most gendered mons are still going to be sub-ubers level in power, I think.
If the boost isnt enough to it could also be more. I just looked at the stronger mons with gender like dragonite, urshifus, landos or like you mentioned Darm-G and thought that buffing them by more than that would make them broken. Even a mon like conkeldurr would have the equivalent of 187 base attack before items if its adamamt and fully ev invested in attack, more than any ubers mon atm. But if nevertheless only few non ubers pokemon become viable, the boost could also be bigger.

Gods and Followers

Banlist & Clauses

OU Banlist minus gods
OU Clauses

Watchlist
Rusted Sword
Calyrex-Shadow
Tapu Lele
Terrain Extender

Q & A

Why Embargo?

If my god faints, can the other Pokémon on my team still use the gifted move?

Yes.

Questions I have for you guys

Would you play this? Why (not)?

Do you think it's a good idea to let your god share a move with its followers? Or does that put it too close to metas like Sketchmons and Follow the Leader in your opinion?

Does anything strike you as broken?

What gods do you feel will be the best and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)