Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

The logical and most efficient assumption would be that the Pokémon has a pointer to the egg group.

Otherwise, it would be like asking "Is X car made by Y brand?" and, instead of looking at X's brand, you look at Y's list of cars and see if X is there.
You know that's not unreasonable for this franchise. C'mon now

Last edited:
That list part, to me, feels like this was never a glitch. They would have to specifically enter the undiscovered/no egg grouping twice for both nidorina AND nidoqueen on accident.

Entering it once on accident for either of them, sure, I could see that. Typos happen. Fast Ball doesn't traverse the Flee list enough so it literally only works on 3 pokemon. I am assuming the Love Ball only working on same gendered Pokemon was also a typo.
But this doesnt feel like that situation.
It still counts as a glitch as it's unintended behaviour. Just like how the Moon Ball does not work as intended in GSC as it checks the evolution method using the Moon Stone's item ID... from the Gen I games, which is different from the one in GSC.

I might have to do with the mechanic that breeding Nidoran female can result in not only eggs of itself, but Nidoran Male as well, and they were simply too lazy to code that same little complexity for Nidorina and Nidoqueen as well. It just was carried over in future gens because they were pretty stubborn about changing things about Pokemon until Gen VI, and it wasn't until Gen VIII they they changed up Egg Groups for pre-existing Pokemon, but even then it was merely adding a second group to Pokemon that previously only had one.

I might have to do with the mechanic that breeding Nidoran female can result in not only eggs of itself, but Nidoran Male as well, and they were simply too lazy to code that same little complexity for Nidorina and Nidoqueen as well.
That... is actually something I never considered.

Out of all Pokémon with "gender counterparts" of a different species, the Nidorans are the only ones that can evolve.

Out of all Pokémon with "gender counterparts" of a different species, the Nidorans are the only ones that can evolve.
It's unique to the specie because it's also the only specie to actually have separate ID for male and female base form, due to the fact gen 1 didn't actually have genders.

Gen 2 onwards introducing genders allowed to actually have gender branched evolutions in future ones, like Froslass or Gallade, and even separate movesets inside the same ID like in the case of Meowstic and Indeede.

However, since Nidoran Female actually has its own pokedex ID, they can't exactly retcon it to adapt it to the new updated system.

It's unique to the specie because it's also the only specie to actually have separate ID for male and female base form, due to the fact gen 1 didn't actually have genders.

Gen 2 onwards introducing genders allowed to actually have gender branched evolutions in future ones, like Froslass or Gallade, and even separate movesets inside the same ID like in the case of Meowstic and Indeede.

However, since Nidoran Female actually has its own pokedex ID, they can't exactly retcon it to adapt it to the new updated system.
Volbeat and Illumise have the same thing going on where they can interbreed, though weirdly that was apparently added later and they couldn't do it until gen 5.

Volbeat and Illumise have the same thing going on where they can interbreed, though weirdly that was apparently added later and they couldn't do it until gen 5.
Yeh I honestly do not know *why* they don't just add Nidorina and Nidoqueen to same egg groups of Nidoran-F, but at this point it's quite obvious that it's not a bug and it's intended.
Maybe it *was* a but and as stated earlier, they just decided to make it a feature.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I might have to do with the mechanic that breeding Nidoran female can result in not only eggs of itself, but Nidoran Male as well, and they were simply too lazy to code that same little complexity for Nidorina and Nidoqueen as well. It just was carried over in future gens because they were pretty stubborn about changing things about Pokemon until Gen VI, and it wasn't until Gen VIII they they changed up Egg Groups for pre-existing Pokemon, but even then it was merely adding a second group to Pokemon that previously only had one.
GF Staff 1: Okay, it took the whole roll of duct tape, but I managed to stick on the mechanic for Nidoran that it can have either male or female offspring.
GF Staff 2: What about Nidorina and Nidoqueen?
GF Staff 1: Well when you breed them the game will check if they're part of the female Nidoran family line thus the code will carry over.
GF Staff 2: That's... not how that works. We'd need to attach the special breeding code onto each of them as well.
GF Staff 1: Well, we're going to need more duct tape then.
GF Staff 2: I'll just put them in the Undiscovered Egg Group for now...
(Each time a new generation is released and they remembered about Nidoran)
GF Staff 1:
OH, right, we need to attach the special breeding code onto Nidorina and Nidoqueen! Did you get the duct tape?
GF Staff 2: You know all these years it felt like I forgot to get something. I'll just write a memo to order some and keep them as they are now.

Joking aside, I can actually see them not wanting to mess with the code any more then they have to so just made Nidoran (F) the only one that can breed. Of course that was back in Gen II where looking at the game funny caused glitches, by now they should have structured things they could more easily make that a module and attach it onto the Pokemon which require it. (Note I said "should have").

A new code's been put out that gets you a Gold Bottle Cap; it only runs till the 14th so get it now

PC2F1NALSSTREAM

" Following issues with the lack of distribution on GAME's online store after it was announced for the UK, The Pokémon Company International have announced that all European players can get a code for Zarude if they sign up for the Pokémon Trainer Club newsletter by December 18th. If you have done so, then a code will be sent in January "

~ Serebii

"Some new updates have gone live for Nintendo Switch Pokémon software. First Pokémon Sword & Shield has received a new update bringing the game to Version 1.1.1. This update provides various undisclosed bug fixes including ones with a few battle mechanics. "

~ Serebii

Been a while, huh?

"Japanese variety show Oha Suta has revealed a special Max Raid Battle Event for Pokémon Sword & Shield to tie in with Pokémon the Movie Secrets of the Jungle. This event runs from February 4th through February 8th and features a battle against Cramorant, amongst others. If enough people defeat the Level 100 Cramorant, you'll receive a variety of items
If 500,000 people beat it, all players will receive a gift of a Flame Orb, Toxic Orb and Light Ball
If 1,000,000 people defeat it, all players receive a gift of a Gold Bottle Cap, 3 Bottle Caps and 3 Pearl Strings "

~Serebii

Been a while, huh?

"Japanese variety show Oha Suta has revealed a special Max Raid Battle Event for Pokémon Sword & Shield to tie in with Pokémon the Movie Secrets of the Jungle. This event runs from February 4th through February 8th and features a battle against Cramorant, amongst others. If enough people defeat the Level 100 Cramorant, you'll receive a variety of items
If 500,000 people beat it, all players will receive a gift of a Flame Orb, Toxic Orb and Light Ball
If 1,000,000 people defeat it, all players receive a gift of a Gold Bottle Cap, 3 Bottle Caps and 3 Pearl Strings "

~Serebii
The rewards are very disappointing... but I hope that defeating Cramorant itself gives something worthwhile.

Sounds like Lanturn Time, by the way.

The rewards are very disappointing... but I hope that defeating Cramorant itself gives something worthwhile.

Sounds like Lanturn Time, by the way.
Eh while they are kinda meh, werent Flame Orbs stupidly obnoxious to get? Getting a free one wouldn't really hurt I guess :smogthink:

I wouldn't be surprised if the event raid itself drops loads of exp candies, caps and rare candies though.

No new records yet, but SwSh is the first Pokémon game since Gold & Silver to have broken 20 million units sold

Eh, doesn't surprise me.

Quality issues aside, the timeframe where SwSh launched is so good, being on a super-fast selling console that also is very popular in a storical period where most of the world population is forced to be at home, AND with next gen consoles suffering from problems in sales.

I do wonder how the next titles will fare without all these facilitators.

Sword and Shield had the advantage of DLCs significantly extending their lifetime, but this still puts them at only 4 million below the Gen V games (so it's still quite good).

It won't be easy for them to surpass that number (assuming no surprise DLCs), but it's not impossible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)