(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

What's the point of the color dex? Is there any ingame use for it? Like an npc that gives you an item if you show a red pokemon or something?
Probably. I know it's possible as early as Gen 3 in hacks
But since they never use it...and it's extremely limited for color choices, why bother

I assume it's just for flavor, like the "shape" dex and the various ways the dexes will display height & weight.
I guess, but i feel like if youre going to work on something that is mainly useless, you should do it because youre interessed on it. A lot of the color dex feels very unfished and rushed.

I guess, but i feel like if youre going to work on something that is mainly useless, you should do it because youre interessed on it. A lot of the color dex feels very unfished and rushed.
Yeah, like how I didn't just do 1 meme dex entry, I had every mon have a meme dex entry in my hack, including each alt forme for Deoxys and Arbok
It's kinda like how Pokemon Colosseum or Sonic Forces remotely hinted in being darker or edgier, but were so lazy to not really be involved with it at all

The fact that the regional rodent is listed as uncommon is very fun to me.

One thing I would do is that i'd change bellossom and sunflora to rare/elusive in the original games, because getting a sun stone is bordeline impossible if cooltraner nick (i think thats his name) is participating, since he will almost always wins. So you gotta reset for that, and lord have mercy on you if you dont know about him.

Maybe change trade only pokemon (no encounters in wild) to unavaliable: you either enable trade evo changes in the universal randomizer, or you just don't get them. There's no need to rate the pre evos when you just won't get the final johto evo without changing the game.
Eh, getting a Sun Stone isn't too hard if you indulge in time manipulation, which is easy enough to do.

Agree with the rest.

All swarms are able to be triggered as soon as you get their respective trainer's phone numbers, and all of those trainers are located within Johto.
Confirming this, I used an Octillery when playing through VC Gold as soon as I could get access to Route 44 by using the DST trick.

Waturret the Octillery!
Thank you so much, both of you! I updated my main post a bit with this info for all the Swarming Pokémon (which have now had their descriptions updated to include Swarms in G/S/C) and I added some notes on Swarms in both the beginning and the end. Nokocchi, I also added your advice for how to trigger Swarms in G/S/C in the beginning.
Perhaps I should have emphasized the look in "look minimal and pathetic by comparison," because your sentiment is exactly what I was getting at. I don't think the post-gen 2 postgames are minimal and pathetic, just that everyone remembers that GSC let you go to Kanto and fight all the gym leaders again and then go fight Red. However, few people remember that the actual amount of content in GSC Kanto wasn't that substantial compared to recent installments*, and so there is now this imaginary standard of a fully fleshed-out second region in the base game to which newer games are constantly compared.

I wonder, if GameFreak and Nintendo hadn't thought that GSC was going to be the last entry in the series, perhaps they might not have tried to squeeze Kanto in as the ultimate follow-up and instead would have let Johto stand on its own.

(*I happened to watch "Beating Pokemon Gold & Silver as Nintended" recently, and to be honest it looked like there was more to do in Kanto than I remembered, but it still doesn't seem like much more than the postgame of recent installments.)
My apologies, I completely misunderstood your previous post. I'm very sorry. But on a positive note, it seems like we mostly agree with each other on this matter! I also think that the post-game in the Johto games looks good at first glance, and that the post-game in most other games doesn't look quite as great since they have smaller areas to explore. But after playing them, I found it to be the other way around. Games like B2/W2 and Platinum doesn't have an entire new region to explore during the post-game, but I find them to have way more to actually do, and it is better exectuted as well. In comparison, the Johto games have an entire new region to explore, but it doesn't feel all that large or that there's a whole lot to actually do. Plus, going through it is an utter drag. Sometimes, less is more and more is less.

And good point in the second part there. I also wonder if Gen 2 and G/S being supposed to be the last Pokémon games might have been one reason as for why they decided to add Kanto to the games.

Submission is a strange move to me. It's a recoil move which would imply that's the downside to something really strong, but it's only 80 power and not just that, it's 80 accuracy. Usually when a move is this bad it would mean it's the best move of the type that this Pokémon can get, or rather that it doesn't have many other options; but ever since Gen 3 Brick Break has been an extremely easy to get TM that every Pokémon who gets Submission can learn, and it's only 5 power less in return for perfect accuracy, a nice additional effect and no recoil. It seems the only Pokémon who benefit from this move at all are Rhyperior and Obstagoon since they have Reckless, but it doesn't seem worth it especially when those two Pokémon in particular have better abilities and movepool options.

It admittedly does fit the bill of "best fighting-type option you can get" in Gen 1, especially since it was a TM there; but they haven't bothered to update it since. It really feels like it should be around 100 power and definitely 100 accuracy.

Submission is a strange move to me. It's a recoil move which would imply that's the downside to something really strong, but it's only 80 power and not just that, it's 80 accuracy. Usually when a move is this bad it would mean it's the best move of the type that this Pokémon can get, or rather that it doesn't have many other options; but ever since Gen 3 Brick Break has been an extremely easy to get TM that every Pokémon who gets Submission can learn, and it's only 5 power less in return for perfect accuracy, a nice additional effect and no recoil.

It admittedly does fit the bill of "best fighting-type option you can get" in Gen 1, especially since it was a TM there; but they haven't bothered to update it since. It really feels like it should be around 100 power and definitely 100 accuracy.
You'd think "well, maybe they forgot about the move" (especially since, up to Gen VII, only Gen I Pokémon could learn it by level up, and only two non-Gen I Pokémon could get it by breeding), but it's still present in Sword and Shield.

Last edited:
You'd think "well, maybe they forgot about the move", but it's still present in Sword and Shield.
Not many Pokemon even learn it, either, so it would've been an easy cut all things considered.

Why on earth did Submission go from signature move (gen 1) and staple of the Machop line (learning it in every generation up to gen 7) and then get turned into an egg move in gen 8....

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I’m not gonna lie, I thought Submission was cut in SwSh. That genuinely is a little strange.

However, notably, it does less recoil damage than any other move. It only actually does 1/4 of its damage as recoil, while the standard is 1/3. I can see why it has a lower BP for that reason, but the accuracy is a real problem. And as you say, 40 less BP isn’t an adequate price to pay for slightly less recoil damage.

The image of just straight up suplexing your opponent is too good to get rid of so I like your idea of buffing it to 100BP, and the flavour of the user being disciplined enough to take less recoil is also cool so it probably shouldn’t become a Double-Edge clone. I could see some Pokémon using it instead of Close Combat like Throh if it got the buff (and the move lmao).

Edit:
Not many Pokemon even learn it, either, so it would've been an easy cut all things considered.

Why on earth did Submission go from signature move (gen 1) and staple of the Machop line (learning it in every generation up to gen 7) and then get turned into an egg move in gen 8....
Signature move of Machop? I’ve always much more closely related it with Pinsir. I coulda sworn it learned it by level-up in Gen I (though this is why I think the criteria of it being the only Pokémon to learn it by level up is flawed, there are enough moves only learned by one Pokémon period for signature moves to still be a thing).

I’m not gonna lie, I thought Submission was cut in SwSh. That genuinely is a little strange.

However, notably, it does less recoil damage than any other move. It only actually does 1/4 of its damage as recoil, while the standard is 1/3. I can see why it has a lower BP for that reason, but the accuracy is a real problem. And as you say, 40 less BP isn’t an adequate price to pay for slightly less recoil damage.

The image of just straight up suplexing your opponent is too good to get rid of so I like your idea of buffing it to 100BP, and the flavour of the user being disciplined enough to take less recoil is also cool so it probably shouldn’t become a Double-Edge clone. I could see some Pokémon using it instead of Close Combat like Throh if it got the buff (and the move lmao).

Edit:

Signature move of Machop? I’ve always much more closely related it with Pinsir. I coulda sworn it learned it by level-up in Gen I (though this is why I think the criteria of it being the only Pokémon to learn it by level up is flawed, there are enough moves only learned by one Pokémon period for signature moves to still be a thing).
Personally I never really associated it with Pinsir more because submission (or, "Hell Wheel") is meant as grabbing the opponent and doing a bunch of rolls with it. Which I know does happen with beetles, but my association with beetles is always going to favor Flips and Tosses

IE there's probably a reason the wrestling pokemon got the full body contact grappling move naturally in gen 1 and have it positioned as a "signature" move. And also why Pinsir got Seismic Toss by level up even in gen 1 (though the Machop line and Mankey line also got it in gen 1 before accounting for TMs)

e: The real question is why the move named after a judo manga and based around a grappling did not go to Throh, the judo pokemon known for grappling.
e2: Additional real question: why did Incineroar, the other wrestling pokemon, not get the move.

Last edited:
Something that bugs me is how RSE's tiny lore details are ignored or forgotten in the fanbase
-The Player is from Johto
-You can fight May/Brendan at the old man with Peeko's house if you don't do it at Rustboro
-Cutter guy in Rustboro is the older brother of the Rock Smash guy in Mauville
-Rustsurf tunnel being called as such due to merging names (Rustboro and Venderaturf)
-The guy that freaking got a bunch of wingull to fly
-etc

Everyone just talks about the Battle Frontier, May/Brendan 2, French Horn/Trumpets, how Groudon's an idiot, how Rayquaza has to shut up the kids
or for ORAS, constantly hyping Max x Archie

Something that bugs me is how RSE's tiny lore details are ignored or forgotten in the fanbase
-The Player is from Johto
-You can fight May/Brendan at the old man with Peeko's house if you don't do it at Rustboro
-Cutter guy in Rustboro is the older brother of the Rock Smash guy in Mauville
-Rustsurf tunnel being called as such due to merging names (Rustboro and Venderaturf)
-The guy that freaking got a bunch of wingull to fly
-etc

Everyone just talks about the Battle Frontier, May/Brendan 2, French Horn/Trumpets, how Groudon's an idiot, how Rayquaza has to shut up the kids
or for ORAS, constantly hyping Max x Archie
You're... annoyed that some fans don't know certain obscure details, some of which aren't even mentioned or encountered in-game...?

You're... annoyed that some fans don't know certain obscure details, some of which aren't even mentioned or encountered in-game...?
Should've specified, but considering how much more Kanto, GSC, and DPPs small stuff are known (looking at you Everstone Haunter) in comparison, it feels like 3 got shafted
Then again not many are aware of GSCs fish sizes, so it's probably just me being subjective

Got any video, cause I never even heard of that, but as a Sinnoh fan, I can feel you. Between slow game speed, God Arceus, Dom Cynthia, and lack of Fire types, Sinnoh discussion runs out of things to say way too fast unless you want to delve deeper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)