Metagame Bonus Type

Triple types with only 1 weakness, with (bad) examples:
  • Bug/Dragon/Steel: Bug Duraludon removes its Fighting and Ground weaknesses, but it loses its Flying and Rock resistances and becomes weak to Fire. (Dragon also reduces Scizor to a 2× Fire weakness.) Also 8× resists Grass, not that it matters.
  • Bug/Electric/Water: Electric Araquanid removes its Electric and Flying weaknesses, although losing its Ground resistance, leaving it only weak to Rock.
  • Bug/Fairy/Steel: Bug Klefki removes its Ground weakness and gives it a Fighting resistance, although losing its Flying and Rock resistances and increasing its Fire weakness to 4×.
  • Dark/Electric/Poison: Dark Toxtricity turns its Psychic weakness into an immunity and gives it Dark and Ghost resistances, although removing its Bug, Fairy and Fighting resistances, leaving it only 4× weak to Ground.
  • Dark/Ghost/Normal: Ghost Obstagoon turns its 4× Fighting weakness into an immunity and also removes its Bug weakness and gains a Normal immunity and Poison resistance, although losing its Dark resistance, leaving it only weak to Fairy.
  • Dark/Ghost/Poison: Dark Gengar turns its Psychic weakness into an immunity and also removes its Dark and Ghost weaknesses, although removing its Fairy resistance, leaving it only weak to Ground. Dark Haunter would have no weaknesses, due to Levitate.
  • Dragon/Fairy/Steel: Dragon Klefki removes its Fire weakness and gives it Electric and Water resistances, although losing its Fairy and Ice resistances, leaving it only weak to Ground. It does get Prankster Magnet Rise...
  • Dragon/Flying/Steel: Flying Duraludon, Steel Dragonite, Dragon Corviknight end up only weak to Ice.
  • Dragon/Poison/Steel: Steel Dragalge removes three weaknesses but increases its Ground weakness to 4×.
  • Electric/Flying/Steel: Electric Corviknight, Steel Zapdos, Flying Magnezone end up only weak to Fire.
  • Fairy/Ghost/Normal: Normal Mimikyu turns its Ghost weakness into an immunity, leaving it only weak to Steel.
  • Fairy/Grass/Steel: Fairy Ferrothorn, Grass Klefki, Steel Tapu Bulu end up only 4× weak to Fire.
  • Fairy/Ground/Water: Ground Tapu Fini turns its Electric weakness into an immunity, removes its Poison weakness and gives it a Rock resistance, but increases its Grass weakness to 4×. Sap Sipper Ground Azumarill would have no weaknesses.
  • Flying/Steel/Water: Water Corviknight removes its Fire weakness and gives it an Ice resistance but increases its Electric weakness to 4×.
  • Ghost/Normal/Psychic: Ghost Indeedee removes its Bug weakness and gives it Normal and Fighting immunity but increases its Dark weakness to 4×.

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have so many ideas flowing for this, we need a ladder asap lol.

Initial Team Dump:
:heatran::rillaboom::clefable::kyurem::tornadus-therian::zeraora: Grassy Terrain offense
:tornadus-therian::ferrothorn::slowking::urshifu::clefable::kyurem: FuturePort Slowking Offense
:salazzle::clefable::corviknight::blissey::dragapult::gastrodon: Salazzle Bulky Balance
:cinderace::kartana::hippowdon::mandibuzz::dragapult::slowking: Choice Spam offense
:latias::mandibuzz::magnezone::rillaboom::landorus-therian::slowking: Steel Latias Bulky Offense
Only teams I feel like posting atm, feel free to try them out :)

More importantly, here's a bunch of sets I've been trying out vs the bot and random people that have been fun
:ss/zeraora:
Flying (Zeraora)
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up
Flying Zeraora is very similar to Camomons Electric / Flying Zeraora, except there's marginally more counterplay available to it. Really scary breaker late game that is tough af to revenge kill. Will be keeping an eye on this in the future tbh.
:ss/salazzle:
Ground (Salazzle) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 80 HP / 4 Def / 224 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
Salazzle is going to be really potent in this metagame for a while I think, with so many people using Steel and Poison types to patch up weaknesses. Ground type is probably the best option for it for the Rocks neutrality and immunity to Volt Switch. I think this set is super fun, so try it out!
:ss/gastrodon:
Steel (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Clear Smog
Speaking of using Steel to patch up weaknesses, I think Steel Gastrodon is a really neat choice at the moment. With Clear Smog, it can effectively stop CM Clefable sets and is just really solid overall. Will probably tweak the set a bit once the meta becomes more widely playable but for now I thought I'd share. Also could work with Fairy as the bonus typing, though it'd face competition from Ground Tapu Fini
:ss/bisharp:
Ghost (Bisharp) @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Beat Up
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
Choice Band Bisharp is super fun at the moment, and Ghost as the bonus typing is absolutely insane to use against its checks. Corviknight and Blissey straight up can't touch it. Fairy Ferrothorn is kind of annoying for it with Iron Barbs and Leech Seed chip and facing competition from Steel Urshifu-S, but overall I think this will be a really scary breaker
:ss/magnezone:
Ghost OR Fairy (Magnezone) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Def / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Substitute
Another Steel-type that uses Ghost as its bonus type, Magnezone will be another really neat Pokemon in this meta to counter Steel-types. I don't see the huge appeal of Flying-type Magnezone yet and have prefered Ghost or Fairy in tests, being netural to SR is not great imo while immunity to Body Press is so important vs Corv and Ferro
:ss/slowking:
Normal OR Fairy (Slowking) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Slack Off
- Teleport
Haven't decided the optimal typing for Slowking yet, but both of these seem neat so far. Slowking is most likely going to be the premiere FuturePort user here, and its moveset doesn't really change in this meta.
:ss/aegislash:
Fighting (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
It's hard not to post a bunch of Steel-types for this lol, but Aegislash seems really neat as a mixed breaker, getting STAB on CC is gonna be huge for its damage output and gives it a great defensive typing. Wouldn't opt for full defensive Toxic sets on Aegi or Melm as good as those seem on paper bc the way the meta will most likely play out with a bunch of Toxic immune pokemon
:ss/mew::ss/ferrothorn:
Water OR Steel OR Ground OR Fairy (Mew) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Flip Turn
- Knock Off / Will-O-Wisp
- Spikes
- Roost

Fairy OR Ghost (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Body Press
Mew and Ferrothorn seem like the premier Spikers for this tier, with Naganadel, Diggersby, and Cloyster looking kind of promising as well. I think entry hazards are gonna be super important for chip in this meta with Toxic being tougher to utilize against teams.
:ss/xatu:
Fairy OR Electric (Xatu) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Magic Bounce
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Roost
- Teleport
- Heat Wave
Speaking of hazards, I could see Xatu being fun to try out to combat bulky teams and stop their progress. Hatterene is also an option but I couldn't pinpoint an exact set for it at the moment.
:ss/corviknight::ss/zapdos::ss/mandibuzz:
Fairy OR Dragon (Corviknight) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird / Body Press
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Steel (Zapdos) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

Poison (Mandibuzz) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 44 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play / Knock Off
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
I think these 3 will be our main 3 Defoggers in the meta, each of their typings are really nice and cover a lot of threats in the meta.

There's a million other sets I could post but I don't wanna go on forever, so here's some general thoughts on the meta after some initial playtests
Other thoughts:
Tornadus-Therian looks like it can viably run any type lol. Fighting, Fairy, Poison, Fire, Dark, Ground, and Steel sound particularly good, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out once the meta becomes more played. Regenerator mons in general seem really neat, Dark or Fighting Tangrowth, Dark Amoonguss, Steel Reuniclus, and Fighting Slowbro all sound neat.
Honestly I'm struggling a little to fit Garchomp and Landorus-T so far, as I think Flying-types are going to be super popular and it's difficult to come up with solid bonus types for them. Rock-type Landorus-T will probably be really solid, but I'm not sure what Garchomp will use yet.
Dragapult seems pretty nice so far, I think it'll be a good fast pivot.
Urshifu-S is gonna be really fun imo, Steel and Ghost on it look like it'll be hard to deal with but I doubt it'll be broken. Urshifu-RS also will be neat imo, though it's REALLY tough to figure out a bonus type for it so far. I was thinking Ground maybe but there's no reason behind it honestly, Dark maybe?
The Tapus all seem really nice, but I haven't built with any of them yet.

Yeah this was a huge dump of ideas because honestly this is the most fun I've had theorymonning for a tier since last gen. Hopefully June is kind to us and we get a ladder because wew do I need it for my sanity lol. Feel free to try out any of the ideas I posted against Abyssal Bot or try to hit me up sometime for some games!

I feel like I am somehow getting an occasional bad additional type interactions vs abyssalbot on rom.

ex 1: I'm using a nidoking with boltbeam and the added type(nickname) is electric. Playing against the same bot team for a few games now and ice beam and tbolt do the same dmg to tornadus(dark).

these are both with a poison electric nidoking on the regular calculator(is there a tri type one?)
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-Therian: 408-484 (112.7 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-Therian: 273-322 (75.4 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I have not been able to OHKO it with tbolt.

ex 2: I had a rotom heat nicknamed steel and its taking SE from fighting moves as intended, but took damage from salazzles sludge wave as well. The salazzle+ground came in on my volt switch and was not damaged as intended. I find it all very strange because its like 90% of the game is fine, and then something doesnt work. I'll keep playing and try to grab a replay.

EDIT#1 first game going for a replay:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen8bonustype-1014019

turn 5 rapid spin does no damage to chansey+ghost=intended behavior
turn 9 salazzle sludge wave does 40% to rotom-h+steel=not intended behavior
turn 10 same thing(not intended) and then my volt switch against salazzle+ground fizzles(Intended)
turn 11 salazzles flamethrower is resisted by my rotom-h+steel not intended behavior
turn 21 nidoking +electric uses tbolt against corviknight+fairy and it does 74%

again using poison electric nidoking with the corv set from the post
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Corviknight: 424-502 (106 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

EDIT#2 I had some more issues with a new team, so I went through with a fine-tooth comb to see if it was user error somehow, and I think it kind of was?
I now get the impression that caps on the first letter of the nickname is important, but I still had some lowercase names work.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm an OMM enthusiast

How would this interact with camomons?
this sounds interesting if you know what im saying

Ground Volcanion seems fun. It technically has one weakness due to water absorb. it finally gets stab earth power like it always wanted

Ground is resisted by only Grass and Bug. I think it could be worth trying out gravity.
Here is a possible gravity team:
https://pokepast.es/fcebdc5cf60236a3
Lele is there to remove Grassy Terrain
Heracross is the only Ground resist and can set up spikes
Chansey helps things switch in by putting opponents to sleep
Ferro for hazards
Metagross is fighting type with dynamic punch for fun
Garchomp has sand veil on accident, STAB fire blast, and cannot be burned

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Congrats on OMotM.

I'm expecting Flying-types to be extremely common off the bat. Rock, Electric, and Ice coverage look promising in that regard. I'm interested in Nihilego as a result, it has STAB Power Gem and fantastic Special Attack. The Ground weakness can be mitigated with its own Flying type or just ignored since you're likely to have about two immunities on your team. Electric looks like an interesting avenue since you aren't really making yourself any weaker to Earthquake. In return you gain a Steel neutrality and Electric resist, which should really help it find more switch-ins.

Kyurem as well with a Ground typing gives all of its best attacks exceptional power while removing its SR weakness.

Ice matches up well against the Flying type combos that Rock and Electric struggle with, and vice-versa. I don't know off the top of my head how many Pokemon are capable of running all three besides Starmie, which I guess is useable but can only pick one type to use offensively of the three. It's probably better to just build a core around this.

bUlkY sEtUP wIlL be EXTREMELEY brokEn Like yo:

:ss/latias:
steel (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA or u can run speed nerd
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Mystical Fire

and we also get

:ss/corviknight:
Dragon (Corviknight) @ Leftovers u oustpeed tran with this set but run whatevr and u can some some oter abilties ya
EVs: 252 HP / 172 SpD / 84 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Power Trip
- Roost
- U-turn

we get gift w breajer

:ss/dragapult:
Water (Dragapult) @ Choice Specs multiple pog typing u can run for defensive utility or coverage boost yafeel eh lets go
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

2 water breakers in row cause we lit
(this prob got good coverage with water pult too hah)

:ss/dragalge:
Water (Dragalge) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe u can run fighting speed for clef if u want run 0 speed brah
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Flip Turn

ok we out (sory for no hide tags but igtg rn)

I found that but I don't know if it works in the meta
But it's valid

Dark (Spectrier) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grim Neigh
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dark Pulse

Add Urshifu Dark/Fight/Poison and it'll be fun x)

naganadel is not banned YEAHHHHH

Fire (Naganadel) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt / Draco Meteor

I'm running Fire with HDB purely because there's so many things running Steel-type and I want to slam them as hard as possible. I don't think Naganadel will be absurdly broken by any means, but it can certainly clean up late-game if given the opportunity.

Steel (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 204 HP / 152 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
Steel type Latias looks pretty amazing.
While most people here are opting to have 252 HP/252+ Def and run Aura Sphere, I put some speed EVs and a Timid nature to ensure that Latias can outspeed Urshifu-SS, or at least for now. This is why I also use Draco Meteor, as +1 Aura Sphere barely does not OHKO Urshfu while Draco Meteor does.
+1 0 SpA Latias Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 282-334 (82.6 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 SpA Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 343-405 (100.5 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Additionally, the bulk investment is just enough for the HP to give 22 HP from leftovers, which in turn saves a bit more HP on Latias.
If Urshifu is banned, then some of the Speed can go into the HP/Def and have a bold nature.
Aside from the set, Latias with a steel typing is massive. Thank to Levitate and its natural ability, Latias is only weak to Dark and Ghost. Its Steel typing also makes it immune to Toxic, Sand, and makes it resistant to Stealth Rock.

Steel (Zapdos) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

Poison (Mandibuzz) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 44 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play / Knock Off
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
I think these 3 will be our main 3 Defoggers in the meta, each of their typings are really nice and cover a lot of threats in the meta.
Mind elaborating on these evs in particular? Because I wanna run them but don't like using spreads without knowing why

hay ! I made a python program that allows to know which are the type combos that have only one weakness.
here the result :

Bug Dragon Steel : fire
Bug Electric Water : rock
Bug Fairy Steel : *4 fire
Dark Electric Poison : *4 ground
Dark Ghost Normal : fairy
Dark Ghost Poison : ground
Dragon Fairy Steel : ground
Dragon Flying Steel : ice
Dragon Poison Steel : *4 ground
Electric Flying Steel : fire
Fairy Ghost Normal : steel
Fairy Grass Steel : *4 fire
Fairy Ground Water : *4 grass
Flying Steel Water : *4 electric
Ghost Normal Psychic : *4 dark

i can also do 2 weaknesses or more, say me if you want to know them

Here's a hyper offense team I've been running with. Most of the support comes from overwhelming threats that put a hole in a wall or force an obvious switch in.

Fighting (Regirock) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge

Body Press continues to find strong users in these other metas. With one Iron Defense your wall is swinging over 1000 defense with STAB, while not having low HP or Special Defense like some other users. You can also use Registeel for slightly better typing and more balanced physical/special defense.

Ground (Gyarados) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Power Whip

I haven't run into a team yet that can stop Gyrados, especially if you're paying attention to what their available counters are. Most Grass pokemon pick up extra types that makes one of those moves neutral. You could make an argument for a lot of items, but keeping the sweeper healthy is a lifesaver.

Normal (Toxtricity) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Punk Rock
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Overdrive
- Volt Switch
- Sludge Wave

A STAB Punk-Rock Specs Boomburst is going to one-shot a lot of things, or two-shot a switch in. Anything that tanks a hit should be plenty softened for someone else.

Steel (Vikavolt) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Steel gives Vikavolt better typing and solid coverage. It's not excellent on its own, but having Web support is great for these heavy hitters. Even if it just means they won't bring something out until they spin, that's an advantage for you.

Fighting (Incineroar) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

I ran a similar set with Rillaboom for some time in Camomons (I also like Hammer Arm+Grassy Glide), but I wanted something immune to Psychic. Incineroar lowers attack while having boosted special defense, so she's a nice momentum breaker. Knock Off hits hard and debuffs, drain punch heals, and Earthquake/Iron Head/U-Turn can round things out. Fighting type gives Stealth Rock resistance and gives Incineroar the tools to take down Heatran.

Ghost (Porygon-Z) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Trick

Ghost Porygon is running around because it's really strong. If you lock into Normal or Ghost, be prepared to switch out.

New/Covered Weaknesses:
Regirock: weak to Psychic and Fairy
Gyrados: weak to Ice and Grass; immune to Electric; neutral rock
Toxicitry: no new weakness or weakness covered
Vikavolt: weak to Fire (4x) and Ground (0x); neutral rock
Incineroar: weak to flying: neutral rock
Porygon: weak to dark: immune to fighting, normal, ghost.

https://pokepast.es/5db0346842f2c566

Unaware Clefable Steel is immune to poison type moves / toxic and takes less dmg from Stealth Rocks.
Landorus-Therian Bug makes U-Turn more threatening.
Zeraora Flying makes it immune to ground moves and it does not take more damage from electro moves due to Volt Absorb.
Tyranitar Ghost makes it immune to fighting moves.
Dragapult Fire gives a threating stab Fire Blast.
Corviknight Fighting for the stab Body Press.

Ok, here are two reference tables I generated containing type combinations and the total sum of their respective weaknesses. Immunities are counted as zero, although I know their strategic value is more than that and should be considered separately. Despite this, I consider they can be helpful.

Double typing
Triple typing

pastebin links:
Double typing (pastebin)
Triple typing (pastebin)

PD: Ignore repeated types (i.e. Rock-Rock), my script is too paleolithic to take these nonsenses into account.

Last edited:
Alright, here's my trashy sun core:

torkoal gen 5.gif

Grass (Torkoal) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Solar Beam
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

charizard gen 5.gif

Ground/ Fighting (Charizard) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Air Slash
- Ancient Power/ Dragon Pulse
- Scorching Sands/ Focus Blast

It's not that difficult of a concept, set sun and obliterate anything outside of SpD walls in one hit with Overheat. Ancient Power is gonna be run over Dragon Pulse 9 times outta 10, but it's there if you want it. Your typing will depend on what coverage move you want, but an added bonus is both resist rocks, giving you the room to run Scarf. Torkoal also gets access to stab Solar Beam now, which can catch some players unaware.

The big issue with the core is defense. Torkoal is a pretty solid physical defender but crumbles under any special threats. Even without SpA investment, Heatran tears through it, so you'd better have a special wall to switch into.
0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Torkoal in Sun: 271-321 (79 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage

Even though we're not taking 50% anymore, rocks still hurt, so a defogger is something you'll want on the team too.
So, ideally, the team should look something like Torkoal, Zard, Defogger, Special Wall, Physical attacker, and a last mon, I usually run a second physical wall so my Torkoal doesn't take too much damage switching in and out

Fun fact, I'm bad at the game, feel free to criticize and suggest revisions to your heart's content~

Eggs

some days, you just can't get rid of an egg
Hi Everyone! I'm here to record my thoughts on the current Day 1 Bonus Type metagame!

:urshifu: Urshifu-Single-Strike is busted. Wicked Blow is a broken STAB move. Most of the same arguments for Urshifu's ban in SS OU can be repurposed to Urshifu in BT, but now Urshifu has a nifty Dark/Fighting/Poison typing to hit Fairy types even harder. The meta of BT has not adapted well to Urshifu, and as of now it seems that bulky Fairy/Steels can check it, which makes it nearly impossible to switch in to. Just like in OU, Urshifu has a multitude of sets, each of which able to deal with counters to the others. In many situations, the only way to properly deal with Urshifu is to sacrifice a Pokemon and attempt to revenge kill it (made harder by Sucker Punch). Simply put, Urshifu-Single-Strike does not belong in Bonus Type because of its absurd power, unpredictability, and lack of counterplay once it gets on the field.

:naganadel: Naganadel is an Ubers Pokemon that belongs in Ubers. It was already incredibly powerful and unpredictable, with Choiced and Nasty Plot sets both being incredibly dangerous, and could easily clean up teams once its few checks (all of which Naga can pivot out on) were weakened sufficiently. Excellent offensive type options in Fire and Electric (and a surprisingly solid Steel set to assist with setup) allow Naga to further increase its wallbreaking and sweeping prowress with a 3rd STAB option, making it even harder to wall than before. Any three of the Fire/Dragon/Poison/Electric combination is incredibly hard to wall, with checks usually limited to Fairy/Steel Pokemon with a resistance/immunity to some of the other moves, but even that can be broken through via Nasty Plot. Hell, this thing can 1v1 Blissey simply by 2HKOing it at +4 without a boosting item. Naganadel is absurd, and does not belong in Bonus Type.

The two aforementioned Pokemon are laughably out of place in the metagame, and their ban would greatly contribute to making the format competitive and more enjoyable. Now that I'm done complaining, here's some fun stuff I've been using:
normal (Noivern) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Switcheroo
- U-turn
- Flamethrower / Roost

:noivern: It's AAA Noivern but slightly weaker and with a ghost immunity. You know what this does.
normal (Zygarde-10%) @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Toxic

:zygarde-10: Zydog clicks Thousand Arrows like it does normally, but now it gets to click Extremespeed more. Thousand Arrows is also nice for nailing airborne Pokemon that stack ground weaknesses.
steel / grass / fairy(Sigilyph) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Air Slash
- Trick
- Flash Cannon / Energy Ball / Dazzling Gleam

:sigilyph: Tinted Lens is VERY good here, just not sure which typing to abuse it with. Sigilyph appears to be the best user at the moment.
steel (Araquanid) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Sticky Web
- Toxic / Magic Coat / Mirror Coat
- Leech Life

:araquanid: Araquanid but without a Rock weakness. Also uses Water Bubble to become the only Bug/Steel not weak to Fire
electric / water / dragon (Corviknight) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

:corviknight: Once again, Corv is back to the usual role of being the glue that holds the tier together. Multiple different sets are all excellent, and Corv has plenty of options that let it choose what it is weak to. My personal favorite is Water (4x elec weak), but options like Electric (2x fire weak) and Dragon (2x ice weak) are all great. Just remember to not lose track of what each set checks (dragon corv now loses to Chomp, etc)!

That's all I have to say for now, but I'll probably be back for more later. This is easily one of my favorite OMs, and I'll be sure to post again with some more ideas and commentary. Thanks for reading, see you on ladder!

:urshifu: Urshifu-Single-Strike is busted. Wicked Blow is a broken STAB move. Most of the same arguments for Urshifu's ban in SS OU can be repurposed to Urshifu in BT, but now Urshifu has a nifty Dark/Fighting/Poison typing to hit Fairy types even harder. The meta of BT has not adapted well to Urshifu, and as of now it seems that bulky Fairy/Steels can check it, which makes it nearly impossible to switch in to. Just like in OU, Urshifu has a multitude of sets, each of which able to deal with counters to the others. In many situations, the only way to properly deal with Urshifu is to sacrifice a Pokemon and attempt to revenge kill it (made harder by Sucker Punch). Simply put, Urshifu-Single-Strike does not belong in Bonus Type because of its absurd power, unpredictability, and lack of counterplay once it gets on the field.
I tried making a dumb joke set before but kept second guessing myself, anyways have this Grimm 1000% Urshifu counter
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bonustype-1351892070

hay ! I made a python program that allows to know which are the type combos that have only one weakness.
here the result :

Bug Dragon Steel : fire
Bug Electric Water : rock
Bug Fairy Steel : *4 fire
Dark Electric Poison : *4 ground
Dark Ghost Normal : fairy
Dark Ghost Poison : ground
Dragon Fairy Steel : ground
Dragon Flying Steel : ice
Dragon Poison Steel : *4 ground
Electric Flying Steel : fire
Fairy Ghost Normal : steel
Fairy Grass Steel : *4 fire
Fairy Ground Water : *4 grass
Flying Steel Water : *4 electric
Ghost Normal Psychic : *4 dark

i can also do 2 weaknesses or more, say me if you want to know them
Mind sharing your code? If it’s not too big, just post it here. Would be interesting to put such information into an excel file.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)