Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Petal Dance makes you confused.

This is probably the entire reason they put Psyduck into the Petal Dance group. It's a joke: the others are just enjoying some dancing, but psyduck, the pokemon who is constantly confused and suffering from migranes, also gets it. Yes it makes EVERYONE confused at the end, but i'd really put forward the joke of confusion is why Psyduck specifically got it.

To be fair, I wouldn't put *too much* thought off Event-only moves.

Many of them were just jokes or anime references. If there's a type of moves that are likely to not make any sense, it's Event only moves.

(Not a case since ... was it gen 5? they haven't been giving out event-only moves anymore, and in gen 8 they went as far as making most event only moves part of the moveset. EXCEPT ERUPTION HEATRAN REEEEE :puff:)

To be fair, I wouldn't put *too much* thought off Event-only moves.

Many of them were just jokes or anime references. If there's a type of moves that are likely to not make any sense, it's Event only moves.

(Not a case since ... was it gen 5? they haven't been giving out event-only moves anymore, and in gen 8 they went as far as making most event only moves part of the moveset. EXCEPT ERUPTION HEATRAN REEEEE :puff:)
They still occasionally do, like Gen VII's Power Swap Alolan Exeggutor and Gen VIII's Seismic Toss Charizard(Which is the only way to use the move on it in Ranked, not that it's a move Charizard would want to use competitively), but the majority since Gen VI began are Pokemon given Celebrate/Happy Hour/Hold Hands/Hold Back, all of which are moves that no Pokemon can learn outside of events. At least in Gen VII the former three give a +1 Omniboost when used as a Z-move. Outside of Z-moves, 2 are basically Splash Clones, one doubles money earned in a fight(stacks with Amulet Coin, Pay Day, and Gigantamax Meowth's G-Max move) but is basically Splash in PVP, and the last one is just a clone of False Swipe

They still occasionally do, like Gen VII's Power Swap Alolan Exeggutor and Gen VIII's Seismic Toss Charizard(Which is the only way to use the move on it in Ranked, not that it's a move Charizard would want to use competitively), but the majority since Gen VI began are Pokemon given Celebrate/Happy Hour/Hold Hands/Hold Back, all of which are moves that no Pokemon can learn outside of events. At least in Gen VII the former three give a +1 Omniboost when used as a Z-move. Outside of Z-moves, 2 are basically Splash Clones, one doubles money earned in a fight(stacks with Amulet Coin, Pay Day, and Gigantamax Meowth's G-Max move) but is basically Splash in PVP, and the last one is just a clone of False Swipe
With the fact D/Gmax moves don't have this sort of effects I suspect they did realize that giving special event only competitively viable moves was just a terrible idea.

Giving meme moves ofc doesnt matter, but the main reason for introducing the "gen marks" for VGC ultimately was to stop the risk of players being forced to obtain obscure events to have an advantage (which, we all know what it means, more genning).
Possibly also the reason for ability patches, since HA legendaries have always been from events in the past, and if you werent able to obtain <insert HA legendary>, then you were at disadvantage in VGC.

Looking it up, the original Japanese versions of the Gen II Petal Dance events seem to have been released to celebrate the annual cherry blossom viewings in Japan.

It makes sense, since in most games(including Gen II) the petals in the animation are pink like the ones seen falling from the trees that time of year.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
:xy/eelektrik: :xy/eelektross:

Even though the two Pokémon are lampreys, that Eelektross is explicitly described by the Pokédex to use its mouth to suck in prey, and otherwise cannot learn any biting moves, through move tutors, they can learn Super Fang.
Why can't Eelektross learn Thunder Fang or Leech Life? The former is literally the Electric-type biting move, and the latter involves sucking stuff and would be a perfect fit.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
:xy/eelektrik: :xy/eelektross:

Even though the two Pokémon are lampreys, that Eelektross is explicitly described by the Pokédex to use its mouth to suck in prey, and otherwise cannot learn any biting moves, through move tutors, they can learn Super Fang.
I am fairly positive they learn Crunch naturally, at least Eelektrik does. Eelektrik learns Crunch as soon as it evolves.

But yeah that's seemingly all they can learn in terms of biting aside from Super Fang.

a lack of biting moves would make perfect sense. lampreys are jawless fish, they got nothing to really bite with so much as just applying suction to the target. in parasitic species like the ones that inspired Eelektross etc, the teeth scrape open a wound to suck blood from, so Leech Life WOULD make sense, but just having teeth ain't enough to justify biting moves

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
a lack of biting moves would make perfect sense. lampreys are jawless fish, they got nothing to really bite with so much as just applying suction to the target. in parasitic species like the ones that inspired Eelektross etc, the teeth scrape open a wound to suck blood from, so Leech Life WOULD make sense, but just having teeth ain't enough to justify biting moves
Mind you that this is a world where a pile of slime, just because it suddenly grew crystals where its "mouth" formation is, is now able to learn biting moves.

Last edited:
Rapidash is a horny Pokemon and many Pokemon with horns can learn Swords Dance too (Samurott, Heracross, Absol...) so why not Rapidash ?
I don't know if this has been mentioned already but Samurott actually does have swords. Play around with the model in Pokemon Home and he eventually pulls out a bigass Sword out of nowhere

I feel like Samurott deserved the fighting type way more than Emboar, so it could get STAB Sacred Sword

I don't know if this has been mentioned already but Samurott actually does have swords. Play around with the model in Pokemon Home and he eventually pulls out a bigass Sword out of nowhere
More specifically, it pulls them from its arms.

503.png

This is revealed in all three of Samurott's Pokedex entries:
One swing of the sword incorporated in its armor can fell an opponent. A simple glare from one of them quiets everybody.
Part of the armor on its anterior legs becomes a giant sword. Its cry alone is enough to intimidate most enemies.
In the time it takes a foe to blink, it can draw and sheathe the seamitars attached to its front legs.

as well as various official media:

Cedric_Samurott_seamitar_Adventures.png

Not that Inferno (or "purgatory")'s learners necessarily makes all that much sense to begin with. Like you got your spooky boys (Litwick line, Houndour line, Vulpix line) and then a lot of just...random fire types. Torkoal gets it. Slugma gets it. Charizard's line gets it. Typhlosion's line gets it. etc

Infernape honestly has as much claim to it even putting aside names as any other fire type.

Not that Inferno (or "purgatory")'s learners necessarily makes all that much sense to begin with. Like you got your spooky boys (Litwick line, Houndour line, Vulpix line) and then a lot of just...random fire types. Torkoal gets it. Slugma gets it. Charizard's line gets it. Typhlosion's line gets it. etc

Infernape honestly has as much claim to it even putting aside names as any other fire type.
If Inferno was a TM/tutor move, then Infernape would likely be able to learn it.

TM and tutor moves generally have more expansive learnsets than just level-up moves or egg moves. Unless if the move is Soft-Boiled or something.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.

Looking at the full list of Pokémon that learn Inferno, they're all either Pokémon that primarily attack by breathing fire or Pokémon that primarily attack using some sort of mystical fire (except the Ponyta line, I don't really know what's up with this one), so it makes sense for them to get a mystical sort of Fire attack like Inferno. While Infernape's stats allow it to be a mixed attacker, all of its Pokédex entries describe it fighting physically with its hands and feet, so it makes sense for it to get more physical Fire attacks (and it does, its best Fire STAB by level up in gen 7 is Flare Blitz) and less mystical stuff like Inferno.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Here is a move that many Grass-type Pokémon learns; Growth. It’s a move that is introduced in Generation 1 that, before Gneeration 5, raise Special Attack by 1 stage, or Special by 1 in Gen 1. At Generation 5 onward, it raises Pokémon‘s Attack and Special Attack by 1 stage each, which the boost doubles if Sun or Desolate Land is active.

Most Pokémon that can use Growth are Grass-type, referring the leaves, trees and flowers slowly growing to thrive. There is four outliers in here, however.

:numel: + :camerupt:
Numel and Camerupt refers to how mountains, especially volcanoes, have a growth in height over time, sometimes due to tectonic activities. Super volcanoes are often the oldest on Earth and other planets. Strangely, the line does not have access to Growth until the sixth Generation.

:comfey:
While not a Grass-type, it does carry flowers that are still alive and active. I can imagine the flowers being larger over time for better floral healing effect.

:illumise:
How am I supposed to explain that!?

Last edited:
Here is a move that many Grass-type Pokémon learns; Growth. It’s a move that is introduced in Generation 1 that, before Gneeration 5, raise Special Attack by 1 stage, or Special by 1 in Gen 1. At Generation 5 onward, it raises Pokémon‘s Attack and Special Attack by 1 stage each, which the boost doubles if Sun or Desolate Land is active.

Most Pokémon that can use Growth are Grass-type, referring the leaves, trees and flowers slowly growing to thrive. There is four outliers in here, however.

:numel: + :camerupt:
Numel and Camerupt refers to how mountains, especially volcanoes, have a growth in height over time, sometimes due to tectonic activities. Super volcanoes are often the oldest on Earth and other planets. Strangely, the line does not have access to Growth until the sixth Generation.

:comfey:
While not a Grass-type, it does carry flowers that are still alive and active. I can imagine the flowers being larger over time for better floral healing effect.

:illumise:
How am I supposed to explain that!?
Poliwag, Eevee, and Spinerak also all get the move via Gen II events.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Know what's a weirdly anonymous move? Pluck.

I've nothing against the move itself (in fact I can't remember ever having actually used it). It's your typical early-to-mid-game move which is fairly weak but has a secondary effect to compensate, kind of like Rock Tomb which tends to be an early-game TM as well. It's decent but there a lot of better options when you're a Flying-type, like Aerial Ace; Pluck is too situational to be useful the majority of the time

In DPP you get given the TM in Floaroma Town when you have one badge, while in Unova it's a purchasable TM in the Battle Subway which is honestly a little late for it to be that useful (especially since the gym in Nimbasa is Electric-type). Back before HGSS was released, I assumed Pluck would be Falkner's TM (it ended up being Roost instead). Instead it's picked up on Route 40, which is again a bit too late to be useful. And you get Fly about 10 minutes later.

And then it stopped being a TM after Gen V. And... that was it for Pluck. Usually moves which were once TMs get some exposure in later games. But it's never been a tutor move and it's not a TR in Gen VIII. A good handful of Pokemon still learn it, but Fearow, Dodrio, Altaria, and Swellow all learn it at levels lower than they evolve and Zapdos can never be caught at a low enough level to have it in its moveset. Only a handful of Pokemon get it early enough to be useful, and only one - one! - Pokemon has ever learned it by breeding.

Honestly surprised it wasn't Dexited.

Know what's a weirdly anonymous move? Pluck.

I've nothing against the move itself (in fact I can't remember ever having actually used it). It's your typical early-to-mid-game move which is fairly weak but has a secondary effect to compensate, kind of like Rock Tomb which tends to be an early-game TM as well. It's decent but there a lot of better options when you're a Flying-type, like Aerial Ace; Pluck is too situational to be useful the majority of the time

In DPP you get given the TM in Floaroma Town when you have one badge, while in Unova it's a purchasable TM in the Battle Subway which is honestly a little late for it to be that useful (especially since the gym in Nimbasa is Electric-type). Back before HGSS was released, I assumed Pluck would be Falkner's TM (it ended up being Roost instead). Instead it's picked up on Route 40, which is again a bit too late to be useful. And you get Fly about 10 minutes later.

And then it stopped being a TM after Gen V. And... that was it for Pluck. Usually moves which were once TMs get some exposure in later games. But it's never been a tutor move and it's not a TR in Gen VIII. A good handful of Pokemon still learn it, but Fearow, Dodrio, Altaria, and Swellow all learn it at levels lower than they evolve and Zapdos can never be caught at a low enough level to have it in its moveset. Only a handful of Pokemon get it early enough to be useful, and only one - one! - Pokemon has ever learned it by breeding.

Honestly surprised it wasn't Dexited.
bit of a nitpick here, but Zapdos actually does have Pluck in its wild Wormhole moveset. For some reason, several wormhole legendaries’ movesets aren’t simply their last four level up moves. Why this is the case is another question entirely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)