(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

There's a weird trend I've noticed lately where certain Pokemon fans will infer sexual innuendo from absolutely nothing and then act disgusted/outraged that the developers would dare include such filth (which they completely invented out of nowhere to begin with). Sometimes it seems pretty clear that they're exaggerating their reaction for... uhh... 'comedy' but sometimes it seems completely sincere and honestly idk which I find more irritating.

Definitely not something that's exclusive to the Pokemon fandom but it's strange nonetheless.

There's a weird trend I've noticed lately where certain Pokemon fans will infer sexual innuendo from absolutely nothing and then act disgusted/outraged that the developers would dare include such filth (which they completely invented out of nowhere to begin with). Sometimes it seems pretty clear that they're exaggerating their reaction for... uhh... 'comedy' but sometimes it seems completely sincere and honestly idk which I find more irritating.

Definitely not something that's exclusive to the Pokemon fandom but it's strange nonetheless.
You mean like Castform allegedly having breasts? Or the dingly Wiglett jokes?

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Ah, so you’re new to the internet!

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
As someone who's started working on a Generation 1 themed fan project now, I've only just recently realized just show terrible the new Pokémon distributions for certain types are in certain regions are. I already knew about the lack of Ghosts and Dragons in Kanto, but 33 POISON TYPES!? Are you kidding me!? That's over 20% of the entire Kanto roster! Poison is one of my favorite types in Pokémon, but the fact that Kanto had more Poison-Types than all of Johto, Hoenn, SInnoh, Unova, Kalos (only has two), and Alola combined is pretty freaking stupid. And for the love of Arceus, why are there so many Psychic-Type Legendaries!?

Gen 1 definitely had some skewed views of how certain types should be stacked, and that probably resulted in significantly less poisons moving forward because of it.

Legendary (& their extended families) probably trend Psychic so hard because the type gets to represent a lot of vague things. It's as much a stand in for weird magic and otherworldliness as it is literal psychic powers, and in ways that fairy doesn't quite reach.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I went to Target today to get the Marshadow codes. I spoke to a few people who were clueless and kept trying to direct me to the TGC cards, and after explaining it's a promotion tried to look it up on their internal directory, but could't find it because it's not a product.

Finally got some success by speaking to customer service, who eventually radioed the manager of the electronics section, who actually knew what we were talking about and had the code cards.
Congrats! :bloblul:

... I'm not getting it. :blobpensive: The first Target I called on Sunday said they didn't have them, the second Target I went to said they're a smaller Target so don't get those events, and calling the first Target again on Monday they said they got the codes but already ran out! Yes, apparently in 24 hours, between Sunday afternoon & Monday afternoon, they got the cards sometime after I called them and enough people came by they went through their entire stock. This is similar to what happened with Eternatus in GameStop, I went on the second day of the event and told they were all gone.

Note, I never had this problem before. All other times they had the code cards, even going on the second day, I was able to get one. I already posted my rant before so I won't again, but I'm hoping this gen is the last of the code cards. Because, Pokemon Company, if I, an adult, am unable to get these cards, what are the chances your supposed target demographic, kids, has any chance of getting them?

33 POISON TYPES!? Are you kidding me!? That's over 20% of the entire Kanto roster!
If I were to guess, at the time GF saw Poison-type as they saw the Flying-type, sort of as a trait/add-on (though some Pokemon were allowed to just be full Poison, likely because there was a Poison-type Gym Leader). Even in real life something being toxic, whether being poisonous (you have to digest the animal or part of it) or venomous (animal injects you via a stinger or fangs), is somewhat common especially with reptiles, bugs, & plants (and is a classic RPG "element" to give to monsters). Looking through the Gen I Poison-types the only ones I'd call into question are:

• Bulbasaur family (Seriously, why is Bulbasaur part Poison? Nothing in its design points towards it, Dex entries are clear of any Poison references, Bulbasaur's Grass-type alone gives it an advantage over the first two Gyms so it's not balancing. The only thing I can think of is its to further accentuate the pun of its Japanese name, Fushigidane, which can be read as "isn't it strange?")

• The Nidoran families (they sort of fall into that RPG "element" thing as they're more kaiju inspired)

• Zubat family (while bats aren't toxic, they likely were given Poison-type as they do carry a lot of viruses and diseases. It's a weak explanation, like the Ratatta family are based on rats yet are still Normal, but it's more of an excuse to have them be something other than Normal/Flying)

• Bellsprout family (Only makes sense if you skew the line between poison and acid, which the Poison-type does. Pitcher plants aren't exactly toxic, but when an animal gets caught in their pitcher they begin to fill it with digestive juices which dissolves the animal like it was in a stomach).

Why are there so many Psychic-Type Legendaries!?
Let's do a rundown:

• Mewtwo (A clone of a Psychic-type which had said psychic power increased which also gave it a higher intelligence though also mentally unstable. Mewtwo's physiology is also based on it being a creature which uses psychic powers to support itself, without it its gangling physique likely wouldn't be able to hold up its head which it needs an additional tube in the back of its head to support its more developed brain)

• Mew (Of course, this doesn't quite explain why Mew is Psychic. Being the origin of all Pokemon I guess they didn't feel Normal was adequate. Likely wanting it to be able to fly but also be alive, and having a spiritual connection with all Pokemon, Psychic was the most straightforward option)

• Lugia (One original use of Psychic power, which is hinted by Mewtwo being it, is that it's just the "powerful" Type. If you're psychic you're super smart, can fly, read minds, and lift & toss objects & other beings around. Lugia is more a Water-type than a Psychic (could even argue Dragon). But, because of its connection as the boss of the Legendary Birds and has the power to quell them if they act up, and since there's no single Type that Super Effective against Fire, Ice & Lightning, they chose Psychic cause its a powerful Special Type that's neutrally effective against them. And sure, I guess also maybe because it can use telepathy to communicate, but that was more just a convenience as we've seen some other non-Psychic-types use telepathy in the anime like Tentacruel and Lapras)

• Celebi ("Time" goes hand-in-hand with "Space", though unlike Space I can maybe see how being psychic is more helpful with Time, especially time travel. You need to know where you're going, and when, to know if what you'll do may cause a paradox, if you might get in a way of another version of yourself, if another version of yourself needs help (and when and where), and that's probably the tip of the iceberg of all sorts of calculations and/or sense that Celebi must be capable of handling)

• Eon Duo (Well at the very least they have psychic powers such as increased intelligence, telepathy, empathy, and make others see hallucinations. We could also go into the symbolism of there being two of them and what they're based upon which can also relate to psychic themes, but I think it already done enough to get a green)

• Jirachi (I would say the power to grant wishes, aka bend reality to the whim of one's desires, is enough to be a Psychic-type. If anything it's the Steel-typing for Jirachi which is more of the question mark, seemingly indicating its origin may directly relate to meteors & asteroids or at the very least the heavy metals which stars produce and eject; but this is about the Psychic-type)

• Deoxys (So this is an issue that, being there's no "space-like" Type, Psychic has to fill that duty. It's a stretch, to the point even I made up my own "Alien"-Type to re-Type many of the space/extradimensional Pokemon can be). I can only assume it's not that it has strong psychic powers (aside telekinesis so it can fly) but it's power is so alien it affects the mind & body in a similar enough way as a Psychic move?)

• Lake Guardians (Slight more justification, their powers are based on aspects of the mind: wisdom, emotion, & willpower. Not only can they grant them, but they can take them away leaving you amnesiac, apathetic, or unmotivated to the point you refuse to move; you're physically fine otherwise)

• Cresselia (This should have become part Fairy-type. In addition to a space-theme (though more of a moon theme which is one shtick that was given to Fairy-types), it has the dreaming theme which is very much a Psychic thing)

• Victini (With Manaphy & Shamin having broke the tradition of the Cute 600 BST Mythical being part Psychic, Victini I feel has little excuse. Yeah, it's based on the concept of victory which you could relate to several mental things, but honestly I would have made it Fighting-type as when I think of being victorious I think of working hard physically and having adrenaline pumping through my veins. Victini fills you with energy that gets you pumped, it doesn't affect your mind outside of you suddenly feeling better)

• Meloetta (Eh, there's a reason its primary Type is Normal. But let's answer the question: does it deserve to be Psychic? I say definitely yes. Its singing manipulates the feelings to those who hear it. Just because it trades its Psychic-Type for Fighting when it changes from Aria Form to Pirouette Form doesn't diminish this, if anything it emphasizes how much more focused its psychic powers are in its Aria form. If anything, Meloetta does right what I mentioned Victini did wrong above, as Pirouette Form's dancing doesn't directly manipulate a person's thoughts or emotions but it putting passion and grace into its dancing inspires those who see it to do better)

• Hoopa (Now being based on a genie you may think it would have a connection with Jirachi. But no, Hoopa doesn't grant wishes, or at least is able to bend reality to grant wishes. It's another space-themed Pokemon, using its hoops to create portals to wherever it wants (with hints of it even able to time travel?). I guess that sort of puts it on a similar level to Celebi, needing the mental fortitude to know where and when it's rings are going to appear (and how big the ring is going to need to be), what its taking if anything, and where it's placing it. Still, probably due to its Ghost & Dark-typings, it feels a bit too impish for that to really be apparent, infact they could have just made it Ghost/Dark in both forms and no one wouldn't question it; wouldn't even need to change Types of its Signature Moves!)

• Tapu Lele (Putting aside it looks like it should be part Bug instead, Tapu Lele does have a power to affect thoughts and emotions. Its scales stimulates and heals, but too much of this is dangerous (and for its own cruel amusement it'll gladly scatter its scales to do so). It never really mentions WHAT the danger is though, like it was said to have stopped a war by healing all the warrior's wounds but rumors suggest an ulterior motive... of what? Does too much scales make you go crazy from overstimulation? Is it not healing you but rather speeding up the use of your life energy which Tapu Lele than collects? Is that why it prioritizes "not losing" to a decisive victory, so it can keep on sapping away your strength? How does this relate to the flowers its said to gain strength from? Is that a temporary energy source, or is this a mistaken hypothesis and it uses the stolen life energy to grow more flowers? WHY MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A BUTTERFLY, the Hawaiian God its based on doesn't have anything to do with butterflies! Going half green & blue)

• Cosmog family & Necrozma (Space-theme, that's all I can really say)

• Galarian Articuno (So you see its supposed to be a twist on its Japanese name, Freezer. Normal Articuno is Ice and freezes you. But G-Articuno doesn't use the cold to stop you in your tracks but its psychic powers to prevent you from moving a muscle. It makes enough sense in context... though why Articuno went from being Ice to Psychic isn't known (yes, yes, I know there's in-game theories the Galar Brid Trio are different species and just happen to look like Kanto's Legendary Birds)).

• Calyrex (Have you SEEN that noggin; needs psychic powers just to move that thing around!? Calyrex is also a very aristocratic Pokemon in its behavior. Instead of immediate direct conflict it rather peacefully communicate (even if it has to mind control someone, which itself is a psychic power), its kind and empathetic to those who have helped it and sees as being under its protection, and even the way it assumes more power is not through absorbing the energy or another or a forceful fusion or but through taming & bonding with its steed; note it doesn't lose its Psychic-type when bonding but rather its Grass-type as that's the power which becomes inactive while riding & using the power of the Wild Horses. Also, Calyrex doesn't use Eternatus's power to Dynamax but rather is able to replicate the effect with its own power and is still able to fight. I would say Calyrex is certainly a mental powerhouse)

So in the end we have 11.5 green (makes sense), 2.5 blue (reasoning is flimsy), and 9 red (given the Type for reasons other than being psychic).

Fairy being the designated "cute" type instead of being more fey.
Ugh, I'm not going over another Type.

I'll just say I actually think Pokemon had done a better job representing the Fairy-type than other franchises which mostly sticks with the cute/feminine fairy theme. Sure Pokemon has its cute fairies, but as you pointed out Pokemon also has an imp/goblin/troll, Irish fairy dog, a deer guardian over life, a wolf that's the embodiment of a legendary sword, a kami which is as cruel as it is kind depending on its mood, an icy kitsune who guides you to safety because it wants you to leave, a floating gas ball which eats pollution and releases clean air from a pipe on top of its head, a mime that can create invisible barriers, a water mouse-rabbit, a dancing empath which can create blackholes, a futakuchi-onna, a plant sheep which gets its cotton everywhere, a mythical carbuncle, a key stealer, a mermaid siren, a hypnotizing mushroom that drains life force, a bedsheet ghost pretending to be a popular cute mascot, temperamental island deities, a robot maid, and a witch whose long hair is its own tower. And that's not mentioning the food-based Pokemon.

Much like with the Dragon-type, it's not that GF isn't focusing on the creepier fey from old folklore, but rather they tossed a wide net on what could be considered Fairy-type, mostly creatures from folktales from all over the world (who may or may not have magical capabilities).

Bulbasaur family (Seriously, why is Bulbasaur part Poison? Nothing in its design points towards it, Dex entries are clear of any Poison references, Bulbasaur's Grass-type alone gives it an advantage over the first two Gyms so it's not balancing. The only thing I can think of is its to further accentuate the pun of its Japanese name, Fushigidane, which can be read as "isn't it strange?")
Because being poisonous is a fairly common trait in toads.

Me seeing people utter "Woah I thought Nintendo was a family company!?" for the umpteenth time.
zwqdxk2ddkg91.png

Congrats! :bloblul:

... I'm not getting it. :blobpensive: The first Target I called on Sunday said they didn't have them, the second Target I went to said they're a smaller Target so don't get those events, and calling the first Target again on Monday they said they got the codes but already ran out! Yes, apparently in 24 hours, between Sunday afternoon & Monday afternoon, they got the cards sometime after I called them and enough people came by they went through their entire stock. This is similar to what happened with Eternatus in GameStop, I went on the second day of the event and told they were all gone.

Note, I never had this problem before. All other times they had the code cards, even going on the second day, I was able to get one. I already posted my rant before so I won't again, but I'm hoping this gen is the last of the code cards. Because, Pokemon Company, if I, an adult, am unable to get these cards, what are the chances your supposed target demographic, kids, has any chance of getting them?

If I were to guess, at the time GF saw Poison-type as they saw the Flying-type, sort of as a trait/add-on (though some Pokemon were allowed to just be full Poison, likely because there was a Poison-type Gym Leader). Even in real life something being toxic, whether being poisonous (you have to digest the animal or part of it) or venomous (animal injects you via a stinger or fangs), is somewhat common especially with reptiles, bugs, & plants (and is a classic RPG "element" to give to monsters). Looking through the Gen I Poison-types the only ones I'd call into question are:

• Bulbasaur family (Seriously, why is Bulbasaur part Poison? Nothing in its design points towards it, Dex entries are clear of any Poison references, Bulbasaur's Grass-type alone gives it an advantage over the first two Gyms so it's not balancing. The only thing I can think of is its to further accentuate the pun of its Japanese name, Fushigidane, which can be read as "isn't it strange?")

• The Nidoran families (they sort of fall into that RPG "element" thing as they're more kaiju inspired)

• Zubat family (while bats aren't toxic, they likely were given Poison-type as they do carry a lot of viruses and diseases. It's a weak explanation, like the Ratatta family are based on rats yet are still Normal, but it's more of an excuse to have them be something other than Normal/Flying)

• Bellsprout family (Only makes sense if you skew the line between poison and acid, which the Poison-type does. Pitcher plants aren't exactly toxic, but when an animal gets caught in their pitcher they begin to fill it with digestive juices which dissolves the animal like it was in a stomach).

Let's do a rundown:

• Mewtwo (A clone of a Psychic-type which had said psychic power increased which also gave it a higher intelligence though also mentally unstable. Mewtwo's physiology is also based on it being a creature which uses psychic powers to support itself, without it its gangling physique likely wouldn't be able to hold up its head which it needs an additional tube in the back of its head to support its more developed brain)

• Mew (Of course, this doesn't quite explain why Mew is Psychic. Being the origin of all Pokemon I guess they didn't feel Normal was adequate. Likely wanting it to be able to fly but also be alive, and having a spiritual connection with all Pokemon, Psychic was the most straightforward option)

• Lugia (One original use of Psychic power, which is hinted by Mewtwo being it, is that it's just the "powerful" Type. If you're psychic you're super smart, can fly, read minds, and lift & toss objects & other beings around. Lugia is more a Water-type than a Psychic (could even argue Dragon). But, because of its connection as the boss of the Legendary Birds and has the power to quell them if they act up, and since there's no single Type that Super Effective against Fire, Ice & Lightning, they chose Psychic cause its a powerful Special Type that's neutrally effective against them. And sure, I guess also maybe because it can use telepathy to communicate, but that was more just a convenience as we've seen some other non-Psychic-types use telepathy in the anime like Tentacruel and Lapras)

• Celebi ("Time" goes hand-in-hand with "Space", though unlike Space I can maybe see how being psychic is more helpful with Time, especially time travel. You need to know where you're going, and when, to know if what you'll do may cause a paradox, if you might get in a way of another version of yourself, if another version of yourself needs help (and when and where), and that's probably the tip of the iceberg of all sorts of calculations and/or sense that Celebi must be capable of handling)

• Eon Duo (Well at the very least they have psychic powers such as increased intelligence, telepathy, empathy, and make others see hallucinations. We could also go into the symbolism of there being two of them and what they're based upon which can also relate to psychic themes, but I think it already done enough to get a green)

• Jirachi (I would say the power to grant wishes, aka bend reality to the whim of one's desires, is enough to be a Psychic-type. If anything it's the Steel-typing for Jirachi which is more of the question mark, seemingly indicating its origin may directly relate to meteors & asteroids or at the very least the heavy metals which stars produce and eject; but this is about the Psychic-type)

• Deoxys (So this is an issue that, being there's no "space-like" Type, Psychic has to fill that duty. It's a stretch, to the point even I made up my own "Alien"-Type to re-Type many of the space/extradimensional Pokemon can be). I can only assume it's not that it has strong psychic powers (aside telekinesis so it can fly) but it's power is so alien it affects the mind & body in a similar enough way as a Psychic move?)

• Lake Guardians (Slight more justification, their powers are based on aspects of the mind: wisdom, emotion, & willpower. Not only can they grant them, but they can take them away leaving you amnesiac, apathetic, or unmotivated to the point you refuse to move; you're physically fine otherwise)

• Cresselia (This should have become part Fairy-type. In addition to a space-theme (though more of a moon theme which is one shtick that was given to Fairy-types), it has the dreaming theme which is very much a Psychic thing)

• Victini (With Manaphy & Shamin having broke the tradition of the Cute 600 BST Mythical being part Psychic, Victini I feel has little excuse. Yeah, it's based on the concept of victory which you could relate to several mental things, but honestly I would have made it Fighting-type as when I think of being victorious I think of working hard physically and having adrenaline pumping through my veins. Victini fills you with energy that gets you pumped, it doesn't affect your mind outside of you suddenly feeling better)

• Meloetta (Eh, there's a reason its primary Type is Normal. But let's answer the question: does it deserve to be Psychic? I say definitely yes. Its singing manipulates the feelings to those who hear it. Just because it trades its Psychic-Type for Fighting when it changes from Aria Form to Pirouette Form doesn't diminish this, if anything it emphasizes how much more focused its psychic powers are in its Aria form. If anything, Meloetta does right what I mentioned Victini did wrong above, as Pirouette Form's dancing doesn't directly manipulate a person's thoughts or emotions but it putting passion and grace into its dancing inspires those who see it to do better)

• Hoopa (Now being based on a genie you may think it would have a connection with Jirachi. But no, Hoopa doesn't grant wishes, or at least is able to bend reality to grant wishes. It's another space-themed Pokemon, using its hoops to create portals to wherever it wants (with hints of it even able to time travel?). I guess that sort of puts it on a similar level to Celebi, needing the mental fortitude to know where and when it's rings are going to appear (and how big the ring is going to need to be), what its taking if anything, and where it's placing it. Still, probably due to its Ghost & Dark-typings, it feels a bit too impish for that to really be apparent, infact they could have just made it Ghost/Dark in both forms and no one wouldn't question it; wouldn't even need to change Types of its Signature Moves!)

• Tapu Lele (Putting aside it looks like it should be part Bug instead, Tapu Lele does have a power to affect thoughts and emotions. Its scales stimulates and heals, but too much of this is dangerous (and for its own cruel amusement it'll gladly scatter its scales to do so). It never really mentions WHAT the danger is though, like it was said to have stopped a war by healing all the warrior's wounds but rumors suggest an ulterior motive... of what? Does too much scales make you go crazy from overstimulation? Is it not healing you but rather speeding up the use of your life energy which Tapu Lele than collects? Is that why it prioritizes "not losing" to a decisive victory, so it can keep on sapping away your strength? How does this relate to the flowers its said to gain strength from? Is that a temporary energy source, or is this a mistaken hypothesis and it uses the stolen life energy to grow more flowers? WHY MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A BUTTERFLY, the Hawaiian God its based on doesn't have anything to do with butterflies! Going half green & blue)

• Cosmog family & Necrozma (Space-theme, that's all I can really say)

• Galarian Articuno (So you see its supposed to be a twist on its Japanese name, Freezer. Normal Articuno is Ice and freezes you. But G-Articuno doesn't use the cold to stop you in your tracks but its psychic powers to prevent you from moving a muscle. It makes enough sense in context... though why Articuno went from being Ice to Psychic isn't known (yes, yes, I know there's in-game theories the Galar Brid Trio are different species and just happen to look like Kanto's Legendary Birds)).

• Calyrex (Have you SEEN that noggin; needs psychic powers just to move that thing around!? Calyrex is also a very aristocratic Pokemon in its behavior. Instead of immediate direct conflict it rather peacefully communicate (even if it has to mind control someone, which itself is a psychic power), its kind and empathetic to those who have helped it and sees as being under its protection, and even the way it assumes more power is not through absorbing the energy or another or a forceful fusion or but through taming & bonding with its steed; note it doesn't lose its Psychic-type when bonding but rather its Grass-type as that's the power which becomes inactive while riding & using the power of the Wild Horses. Also, Calyrex doesn't use Eternatus's power to Dynamax but rather is able to replicate the effect with its own power and is still able to fight. I would say Calyrex is certainly a mental powerhouse)

So in the end we have 11.5 green (makes sense), 2.5 blue (reasoning is flimsy), and 9 red (given the Type for reasons other than being psychic).

Ugh, I'm not going over another Type.

I'll just say I actually think Pokemon had done a better job representing the Fairy-type than other franchises which mostly sticks with the cute/feminine fairy theme. Sure Pokemon has its cute fairies, but as you pointed out Pokemon also has an imp/goblin/troll, Irish fairy dog, a deer guardian over life, a wolf that's the embodiment of a legendary sword, a kami which is as cruel as it is kind depending on its mood, an icy kitsune who guides you to safety because it wants you to leave, a floating gas ball which eats pollution and releases clean air from a pipe on top of its head, a mime that can create invisible barriers, a water mouse-rabbit, a dancing empath which can create blackholes, a futakuchi-onna, a plant sheep which gets its cotton everywhere, a mythical carbuncle, a key stealer, a mermaid siren, a hypnotizing mushroom that drains life force, a bedsheet ghost pretending to be a popular cute mascot, temperamental island deities, a robot maid, and a witch whose long hair is its own tower. And that's not mentioning the food-based Pokemon.

Much like with the Dragon-type, it's not that GF isn't focusing on the creepier fey from old folklore, but rather they tossed a wide net on what could be considered Fairy-type, mostly creatures from folktales from all over the world (who may or may not have magical capabilities).
A plague doctor and a dragonslayer with ribbons.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
A plague doctor and a dragonslayer with ribbons.
Aromatisse's and Sylveon's designs are a bit... complicated to explain which is why I skipped over them.

Aromatisse is a flamingo, plague doctor, flamenco dancer, perfume bottle, and powder puff.

Sylveon is a bigger pink Eevee that grew feeler ribbons it can control. It uses the feelers to hold hands with its trainer to read their feelings, wrap around opponents to fill them with a calming aura, and as a distraction to pounce on prey. It also challenges dragons larger than it.

:blobshrug:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Victini (With Manaphy & Shamin having broke the tradition of the Cute 600 BST Mythical being part Psychic, Victini I feel has little excuse. Yeah, it's based on the concept of victory which you could relate to several mental things, but honestly I would have made it Fighting-type as when I think of being victorious I think of working hard physically and having adrenaline pumping through my veins. Victini fills you with energy that gets you pumped, it doesn't affect your mind outside of you suddenly feeling better)
Problem with suggesting Fire / Fighting: Within the same generation, we already have a Fire / Fighting Pokémon in the form of Pignite and Emboar, of which Victini would end up overshadowing it in every way imaginable even if Victini is a Mythical Pokémon. I’m not giving any suggestion, but I do admit that Psychic doesn’t make a great fit to begin with.

Even if Zen Mode Unovan Darmanitan isn‘t a helpful gimmick, it’s certainly makes a lot more sense as Fire / Psychic, even if it is a temporary form.

Sylveon is wannabe Suicune
What do you mean? Basically a member of it’s group that is pushed hard in comparison to the others?

I’d be fair with Sylveon though, it arrived pretty late compared to the other Eeveelutions.

Aromatisse's and Sylveon's designs are a bit... complicated to explain which is why I skipped over them.

Aromatisse is a flamingo, plague doctor, flamenco dancer, perfume bottle, and powder puff.

Sylveon is a bigger pink Eevee that grew feeler ribbons it can control. It uses the feelers to hold hands with its trainer to read their feelings, wrap around opponents to fill them with a calming aura, and as a distraction to pounce on prey. It also challenges dragons larger than it.

:blobshrug:
I do think it’s the result of putting too many ideas into one Pokémon. It’s good to put two or three different ideas instead of just one animal / object idea, but as you put on more ideas, you will end up making a design that is busy, or ends up getting lost in track and comes off as overly complicated in terms of origin.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Problem with suggesting Fire / Fighting: Within the same generation, we already have a Fire / Fighting Pokémon in the form of Pignite and Emboar, of which Victini would end up overshadowing it in every way imaginable even if Victini is a Mythical Pokémon.
Actually, I think it being a Mythical means it would have been fine. It's not like the two were ever going to be on the same tier, and both being Fire-types mean most casual players probably wouldn't even use them on the same team. Emboar is slower (so has Trick Room to play in) and hits harder (especially if you give it Reckless and Flare Blitz), meanwhile Victini can run Physical or Special providing passive support in Doubles with its Ability.

Also I would have made Emboar a Fire/Dark-type. Wouldn't have made it better, but I feel it fits better.

I do think it’s the result of putting too many ideas into one Pokémon.
With Aromatisse, yeah, this feels like the case. Like, the plague doctor aspect barely plays any part in its design, could have been saved for another Pokemon. The flamingo & Flamenco dancer is a cute idea that I think could have worked on its own, but then cramming a perfume theme on top of that gives it design bloat.

Though Sylveon's problem I don't think is too many ideas, but more a lack of focus maybe? Like, I'm sure everyone remembers the art piece of Sylveon taking down a Hydreigon when it and the Fairy-type was introduced. Well, thing is, it's XY dex descriptions does not mention anything about being a dragon slayer. It was all about using its ribbons to wrap around the arm of its trainer as they walk and sending soothing aura through them to calm fights. That's it. It felt like they wanted Sylveon to maybe be like a pampered Pokemon like Delcatty is, probably giving it some "premium" feeling to it as you have to nearly max its affinity in Pokemon-Amie to get one.
For whatever reason, they decided to give it more of an edge, possibly because the dex descriptions in SM were all new (and possibly written by a fellow Pokemon, the Rotom Dex, so can give you the "inside scoop" about the species). So we go from a prim Pokemon which uses its feelers to calm fights and go walkies with its trainer to using its feelers to distract prey it apparently now has before pouncing on them and picking fights with big dragons. It's a 180 in tone.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Thread Title
The fanbase. Profile pic related. :facepalm:
?

Somewhat back on topic... The Fairy-type in general. It kinda doesn't feel right to me. I can't put my finger on it.
Its addition was a very obvious patch to how dominate Dragon- & Fighting-Types have become. And while the same can be also said for Dark and Steel with Psychic, they came out in Gen II so there was no precedence of whether new Types being added was a typical of special thing. Fairy came after 4 gens of no new Types being added.

Fairy itself is an odd thing to choose, chosen cause they could finagle it being strong against Dragon & Fighting. Fairy's Type Chart is something completely made up, having used fiction tropes to justify them and leaving it up to the fans to make-up their own answer.

And going back to what I previous said, Fairy threw a wide net of designs that can be Fairy, notably for past gen Pokemon. Clefairy, Togepi, Snubbull, and Ralts family becoming Fairy; makes sense. But Jigglypuff, Mr. Mime, Marill, Mawile, and Cottonee family? That's some stretching righ there. And, as explained, the very varied inspirations continue giving Fairy sort of a shotgun of designs which you really have to know folklore for to understand why are some Fairy. Also Fairy tends to go in hard with the pinks and pastels, so when a Fairy isn't like that it's quite the sore thumb. Oh, and Pokemon made of sweets are not pretty much Fairy. Because.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Actually, I think it being a Mythical means it would have been fine. It's not like the two were ever going to be on the same tier, and both being Fire-types mean most casual players probably wouldn't even use them on the same team. Emboar is slower (so has Trick Room to play in) and hits harder (especially if you give it Reckless and Flare Blitz), meanwhile Victini can run Physical or Special providing passive support in Doubles with its Ability.

Also I would have made Emboar a Fire/Dark-type. Wouldn't have made it better, but I feel it fits better.

With Aromatisse, yeah, this feels like the case. Like, the plague doctor aspect barely plays any part in its design, could have been saved for another Pokemon. The flamingo & Flamenco dancer is a cute idea that I think could have worked on its own, but then cramming a perfume theme on top of that gives it design bloat.

Though Sylveon's problem I don't think is too many ideas, but more a lack of focus maybe? Like, I'm sure everyone remembers the art piece of Sylveon taking down a Hydreigon when it and the Fairy-type was introduced. Well, thing is, it's XY dex descriptions does not mention anything about being a dragon slayer. It was all about using its ribbons to wrap around the arm of its trainer as they walk and sending soothing aura through them to calm fights. That's it. It felt like they wanted Sylveon to maybe be like a pampered Pokemon like Delcatty is, probably giving it some "premium" feeling to it as you have to nearly max its affinity in Pokemon-Amie to get one.
For whatever reason, they decided to give it more of an edge, possibly because the dex descriptions in SM were all new (and possibly written by a fellow Pokemon, the Rotom Dex, so can give you the "inside scoop" about the species). So we go from a prim Pokemon which uses its feelers to calm fights and go walkies with its trainer to using its feelers to distract prey it apparently now has before pouncing on them and picking fights with big dragons. It's a 180 in tone.
?

Its addition was a very obvious patch to how dominate Dragon- & Fighting-Types have become. And while the same can be also said for Dark and Steel with Psychic, they came out in Gen II so there was no precedence of whether new Types being added was a typical of special thing. Fairy came after 4 gens of no new Types being added.

Fairy itself is an odd thing to choose, chosen cause they could finagle it being strong against Dragon & Fighting. Fairy's Type Chart is something completely made up, having used fiction tropes to justify them and leaving it up to the fans to make-up their own answer.

And going back to what I previous said, Fairy threw a wide net of designs that can be Fairy, notably for past gen Pokemon. Clefairy, Togepi, Snubbull, and Ralts family becoming Fairy; makes sense. But Jigglypuff, Mr. Mime, Marill, Mawile, and Cottonee family? That's some stretching righ there. And, as explained, the very varied inspirations continue giving Fairy sort of a shotgun of designs which you really have to know folklore for to understand why are some Fairy. Also Fairy tends to go in hard with the pinks and pastels, so when a Fairy isn't like that it's quite the sore thumb. Oh, and Pokemon made of sweets are not pretty much Fairy. Because.
Well, that’s a result of Game Freak rushing with the Fairy-type concept as it was being introduced alongside Mega Evolution.

Between the problems Fairy-type had caused than it solved, the atrocious balancing issues in Gen 6, and the fact that XY is by far the only game that have no third version, or no sequel, unless one counts ORAS as the follow up, it’s clear that Game Freak had planned Kalos way too poorly.

And outright skipping the Pokémon Z version in favor of Sun and Moon just because it’s the 20th anniversary means GF ended up abandoning Kalos instead of giving it a last hurrah like all prior Generations did to the respective regions. While XY helped reigniting the fanbase, it ended up causing a lot of damage that just went under our nose until now.

Fairy-type did fared better compared to how Steel and Dark debuted back in Gold and Silver, but the matchup clearly needs some work due to being too good offensively and defensively, something Water, Ground and arguably Steel are guilty for. It certainly relied too much upon fantasy tropes in terms of type matchup, for one.

Like, I'm sure everyone remembers the art piece of Sylveon taking down a Hydreigon when it and the Fairy-type was introduced. Well, thing is, it's XY dex descriptions does not mention anything about being a dragon slayer.
The whole “Sylveon the Dragon-slayer” thing started as a meme, propelled by stuff like the mentioned art piece. In fact, the whole reason Sylveon v Hydreigon took off was people noticing that Fairy was not only immune to, and super-effective against, Dragon, but SE against and resistant to Dark as well. Keep in mind, Hydreigon in Gen 5 was considered to have no true counters, merely a variety of checks, which Fairy threw the mother of all wrenches into. Sylveon was chosen because it was the first Fairy-type specifically revealed as such, plus as an Eeveelution it is kinda representative of the general outline/stereotype of the typing as a whole (Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if Sylveon was the first Pokémon they designed after deciding Fairy was gonna be a thing), plus being an Eeveelution already gave it some name-brand recognition.

I think Fairy-type is fine offensively, being checked by two of the best defensive types makes it easily checked offensively. It also gave Fire-types a new niche as a defensive type. Rather, I think it is a bit too powerful as a defensive type. Its two weaknesses are rather primarily defensive types, which only have a few dedicated offensive mons such as Excadrill, Scizor, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen. This means that fat Fairies might be a struggle if your Poison- or Steel-type slot is already filled by a defensive Pokémon. It doesn't have much "natural" weaknesses where you already have an answer to it without dedicating an answer to it.

The worst thing about the Fairy-type in my opinion, is the fact that it further devalued Bug, a type that was already struggling offensively. It's good that we got more checks to the annoying U-Turn, but many Bug Pokémon ended up as collateral damage and victims to it.

I will never forgive GF for Galarian Rapidash. It could have been such a beautiful design and it feels as if they botchered it intentionally
True. At least Galarian Ponyta is super cute!

I will never forgive GF for making it even weaker than its OG form when it was an opportunity to buff the species. For a supposed counterpart of Darmanitan, I feel like it got shafted big time. G-Darm got Gorilla Tactics and a super fast Zen Mode form while G-Rapidash got... Pastel Veil? That ability is not even that good even in doubles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)