Metagame Terastallization Tiering Discussion [ UPDATE POST #1293]

Status
Not open for further replies.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
TL;DR I'm in favour of Teras requiring items as a restriction, and at least one multibillion-dollar sports league is happy with having lots of offense and lots of unpredictability, which is IMO solid evidence that these things aren't inherently uncompetitive.
I like the idea of Tera requiring an item, but that seems too arbitrary to implement. If that was an option, it would’ve been done last gen with Dynamax.

Impressive that you ignore the fact these were written in an era with a far lower power level, where there was less of a punish to a lack of info. There is a very good reason team preview exists nowadays.

Espathra is the worst example you could've chosen because it is probably one of the best example of Tera doing too much. Being able to circumvent priority revenge attempts while gaining coverage it wasn't given normally (which was intentional as a balancing factor). The ability to turn what is supposed to be a true check into set up fodder by changing your typing, this fundamentally ignores much of the balance of pokemon type match ups, and its a big reason why Terastilize in its current state is simply not suited for a competitive environment.

In a normal balanced game Kingambit should be forced to switch to something else because Breloom SHOULD be a check. It shouldn't be allowed to suddenly become resistant/immune to what is supposed to check it and flip the script for no cost (and yes, no matter how you try to spin it, there is no serious cost to terastilizing in these scenarios). The whole reason the type chart exists is to establish rules to keep the game balanced and consistent and Terastilize throws those established rules out. The power level is also far too high at this point for the mechanic at its current state to be balanced.
  1. The RBY reference's point is that prediction (as notably embellished in this meta) has always and will always exist in a healthy Pokemon metagame.
  2. Espathra is a Speed Boost Calm Mind sweeper. While most of us can agree that it's basically over once it gets set up, the only ways it can get set up are prediction, risky plays, and Cyclizar (because of course). Saying Tera is overpowered because Espathra can sweep with it is like saying Swords Dance is overpowered because Blaziken gets to sweep with it.
  3. I notice nobody has brought up that Breloom gets... Spore? And is like, way faster than Kingambit? A reasonable prediction goes something along the lines of, "My opponent will probably switch to a status tank due to, so they most likely won't Tera, as they think they'll get slept and have wasted it. I should Mach Punch before switching out". Better yet, run a safer Breloom and have Spore in the first place. That's how the metagame evolves.

Hi new user here, yippee.

Terastal is really fun and expands the game in a funky way, but it's also a pretty rough feel-bad mechanic; the fact that Tera so strongly benefits offensive play, makes defensive play worse, and punishes so many basic game functions while giving every offensive push in the game a minimum of like, three different ways to completely ruin an opponent's day by preying on a difficult prediction.

I'm personally for a full ban or a Tera Blast ban if a decision to restrict the mechanic is done; I dislike the notion of complicated workarounds like 'tera revealed at team preview' simply because it isn't like that on cart, and I think at least a little adherence to the system Showdown is built on is critical.

I don't really think "x mon SHOULD check y mon, and the fact that it doesn't means Tera is broken" works as an argument, the fact that pokemon get answers to their checks and counters is part of the game. It's like saying Azumarill getting Superpower in gen 6 is OP because Ferrothorn should be able to beat it. If Tera makes a few pokemon specifically unbeatable, IMO we should just ban those mons.

There is a very good reason team preview exists nowadays.
Yes, the fact it was implemented in vs games on Gen 5, that's literally the only reason why lmao.

The ability to turn what is supposed to be a true check into set up fodder by changing your typing, this fundamentally ignores much of the balance of pokemon type match ups, and its a big reason why Terastilize in its current state is simply not suited for a competitive environment.
Real talk? I respectfully disagree. :mehowth:

There have always been ways to cover for match-ups. Terastal is strong, but it not only has counterplay and enough predictability to be handled, but it also benefits a multitude of playstyles.

I'm not good enough at competitive pokemon to have too informed of an opinion, but I'll put in a few observations:
1. The most obvious difference IMO between the good gen mechanics (Mega Evolution and Z-moves) and the bad ones (Dynamax and Tera maybe) are that the latter two don't punish having them and not using them. Megas and Zs require investing an item slot which is a big price to pay if you aren't gonna use it consistently, which kinda precluded using them on every mon, which led to them mostly being used on mons that really needed them, which made them predictable. That's an easy thing to alter, just arbitrarily pick an item with no in-game effect (I'm partial to using Heal Balls so that they can finally be useful) and declare that a requirement to Terastallize. You could even break it up by type, like Z Crystals.

2. The point about Tera being super high-variance and making matches hinge on specific moments reminds me of the debate about whether 3-pointers are killing the NBA. Stay with me I promise there's a good point here.

The 3-pointer was originally introduced to the NBA as part of their ongoing quest to make the NBA less dominated by defensive big men. After the ridiculous career of Bill Russell (11 championships and 5 MVPs in 13 seasons) and the success of Russell-like big men like Bill Walton and Wes Unseld, the NBA really wanted to give shorter players a chance, and added the line in the 1979-80 season. 3 and a half decades later, and the reign of defensive bigs finally started to crack when Steph Curry led the Golden State Warriors to 5 straight NBA Finals and 3 championships from 2014-15 through 18-19, with the top defender being the 6'6 Draymond Green. 3 pointers exploded leaguewide in the wake of the Warriors dynasty, with teams beginning to wonder if 3s were actually OP.

How does this connect to Tera? Threes have become incredibly centralizing, with 38.8% of all shots this year coming from behind the arc, and another 30% coming right at the rim, offences are arguably less diverse than ever before. The NBA game has become much higher scoring (a league-average offence this year scores 112.6 points per 100 possessions, up from 105.6 in 2014-15, when the Warriors won their first title, and last year offences scored 112.0 points per 100). Detroit Pistons head coach Dwayne Casey said "it often looks like no defence is being played... it's impossible to cover that much ground against NBA speed, quickness, and power." Three pointers have also made the game much more chaotic, as a greater amount of game scoring relies on a few threes. The Utah Jazz entered the season openly trying to lose after trading away their two-best players, Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell. They have the tenth-best record in the NBA, and the 4th-best offence, in part by making the third-most threes in the league. The Sacramento Kings have gone from the league's 7th-worst team to its 8th-best, thanks to the league's 3rd-best offense making the 5th-most threes per game. Threes make defence impossible and make games come down to who makes the shots, which makes things higher-variance, the very things Terastallizing is accused of. While yes, the players obviously hit or miss the shots, the same could be said of Showdown players making or not making the Tera predictions.

So what's the NBA's solution? ESPN's Kevin Arnovitz (https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/in...ba-insiders-say-all-3s-reaching-critical-mass) found some support for changes to the three-pointer in the 2021 offseason, with ideas including a cap on 3s per game and a proposal from Daryl Morey (whose Rockets became the 1st team ever to shoot more 3s than 2s in a season) to reduce the value of the shot to 2.5 points. Despite this, the NBA did not opt to nerf 3-pointers. There were attempts to limit some of the 3-happiest stars, like James Harden and Damian Lillard, by changing the officiating to make it harder for them to draw fouls on certain plays. Overall, the NBA, a professional league where billions of dollars hinge on being fair and competitive, considered a highly offensive, highly unpredictable metagame to be perfectly acceptable. This doesn't mean we (I say this like I'll ever ladder enough in a suspect to vote) can't rule differently, but IMO it's a strong point in favour of the idea that Tera forcing predictions and making defence way harder isn't necessarily uncompetitive.

TL;DR I'm in favour of Teras requiring items as a restriction, and at least one multibillion-dollar sports league is happy with having lots of offense and lots of unpredictability, which is IMO solid evidence that these things aren't inherently uncompetitive.
Yes, just shoot that thang from beyond the arc, what could go wrong?
1669693659016.png

This kind of superficial analytics ball is why people have been trying to copy the Warriors, or more accurately, the Harden Rockets' Moreyball, and failing miserably.

There are a LOT of things that truly made the Dynasty Warriors such a force, one of the most important being Dray's incredible defense and playmaking.

That's not even counting how Giannis and the Bucks won the chip what, 2 years ago? They did it by building a balanced team around Giannis, his excellent defense and his ability to dominate the paint at will.

And just how you're missing the forest for the trees in basketball, you're missing why Terastal might actually be healthy for the meta, even if it needs a slight restriction of needing Tera Types to be shown on Team Preview.

Also, spoilers, the Jazz aren't going far in the playoffs this year. :mehowth:

Anyways, not what I wanted to say. I came to ask if anyone has played in Gen 9 NatDex along with Gen 9 OU has a rough impression on how the inevitable Home integration will impact the choice that Tera stays around from their experience of it in NatDex (Assuming it doesn't get re-tested when Home does drop). I fully understand it's an apples to oranges comparison meta-wise, but both are fruit and I don't really think this aspect is getting as much discussion as it should be.
As someone who mainly plays NatDex I'm not sure how much Home would impact tera staying, especially since we also don't have the Hisuian forms there until they drop. That being said, Roaring Moon (the defacto "sweeper who abuses tera type") got banned and outside of that it seems somewhat fine? I'll occasionally get match ups where I lost because I didn't prepare for one tera type on a niche sweeper and wasn't able to counter it, but not often. However, I rarely see anyone use tera types at all outside of STAB boosts anyway so I'm not sure how much input I can really even give. Maybe having enough of a varied pool of mons makes Tera a lot less bad than it is in normal OU but I really can't be sure.

Yes, the fact it was implemented in vs games on Gen 5, that's literally the only reason why lmao.

Real talk? I respectfully disagree. :mehowth:

There have always been ways to cover for match-ups. Terastal is strong, but it not only has counterplay and enough predictability to be handled, but it also benefits a multitude of playstyles.

Yes, just shoot that thang from beyond the arc, what could go wrong?
View attachment 469259

This kind of superficial analytics ball is why people have been trying to copy the Warriors, or more accurately, the Harden Rockets' Moreyball, and failing miserably.

There are a LOT of things that truly made the Dynasty Warriors such a force, one of the most important being Dray's incredible defense and playmaking.

That's not even counting how Giannis and the Bucks won the chip what, 2 years ago? They did it by building a balanced team around Giannis, his excellent defense and his ability to dominate the paint at will.

And just how you're missing the forest for the trees in basketball, you're missing why Terastal might actually be healthy for the meta, even if it needs a slight restriction of needing Tera Types to be shown on Team Preview.

Also, spoilers, the Jazz aren't going far in the playoffs this year. :mehowth:
I know this so isn't the point of the thread but the championship Bucks shot more 3s (as a percentage of total shots) than a league-average team (They were 12th). The NBA point was also that Tera is probably healthy because the NBA ultimately decided that a mechanic approximately as powerful as Tera with similar effects was perfectly fine. And yeah, obviously the Warriors wouldn't have 4 rings if they couldn't play defence, and the Jazz and Kings probably can't keep up their surprising runs.

Those two bolded things are very important to each other. The NBA as a product is entertainment. Fans want to see long, difficult shots, high scores and unpredictability. There's no financial incentive for there to increase variance in a pokemon battle. Also, while there is perhaps a lot of variance in 3 pointers made game to game, I imagine there's less variance within the match (If I'm shooting really well, I make 3/4 in the first half and then 3/4 in second half. Next game I'm shooting poorly and shoot 1/4 in both halfs). I would say this more similar to matchups. My hyper offense team wins 5/10 games vs most teams, but loses 7/10 versus teams with scarf tapu lele, and wins 7/10 versus stall. Terastilization is like if one of the starting five on a basketball team's shots were worth double the points, but you didn't know which one until after they scored or something.

I don't really think "x mon SHOULD check y mon, and the fact that it doesn't means Tera is broken" works as an argument, the fact that pokemon get answers to their checks and counters is part of the game. It's like saying Azumarill getting Superpower in gen 6 is OP because Ferrothorn should be able to beat it. If Tera makes a few pokemon specifically unbeatable, IMO we should just ban those mons.
The arguement is that if you have a huge swath of pokemon that need to be banned because of a game mechanic, isn't better to ban the mechanic that's breaking them as opposed to the pokemon? The same people in this thread that are like "i love tera it's fun and unpredictable and we shouldn't get rid of generation gimmicks" would also probably not be happy about have way more bans than a normal OU generation receives.

Those two bolded things are very important to each other. The NBA as a product is entertainment. Fans want to see long, difficult shots, high scores and unpredictability. There's no financial incentive for there to increase variance in a pokemon battle. Also, while there is perhaps a lot of variance in 3 pointers made game to game, I imagine there's less variance within the match (If I'm shooting really well, I make 3/4 in the first half and then 3/4 in second half. Next game I'm shooting poorly and shoot 1/4 in both halfs). I would say this more similar to matchups. My hyper offense team wins 5/10 games vs most teams, but loses 7/10 versus teams with scarf tapu lele, and wins 7/10 versus stall. Terastilization is like if one of the starting five on a basketball team's shots were worth double the points, but you didn't know which one until after they scored or something.
I mean one of the gripes about 3 pointers is that it's almost impossible to beat teams on a hot shooting night, which is why teams that trade all of their stars can become great, and that running cold on 3s can just instantly torpedo a team (like the 0-27 incident), so it's pretty similar IMO.

The financial thing I get. The NBA cares about fans as a pretty central component while Smogon's primary responsibility and focus is on players. That said, there are some people who are at least trying to make careers out of this stuff, and they depend on fans wanting to watch as much as the NBA does.

wait no shit ????
Yeah Roaring Moon was in the first wave of bans (along with Flutter Mane, Palafin, and a bunch of Ubers mons they were trying to let back in), and it doesn't really fix the issues with tera in that meta but it's a lot calmer now that the main abuser is gone. Every now and then you'll see someone cheese something with a random Pokemon that is checked by being weak defensively but it isn't as rampant as Roaring Moon.

The arguement is that if you have a huge swath of pokemon that need to be banned because of a game mechanic, isn't better to ban the mechanic that's breaking them as opposed to the pokemon? The same people in this thread that are like "i love tera it's fun and unpredictable and we shouldn't get rid of generation gimmicks" would also probably not be happy about have way more bans than a normal OU generation receives.
Yeah and this ultimately just turns into a matter of quantity. Does Tera break a huge swath of pokemon or just a few? But that's obviously not answered by a small number of specific matchups, that's answered by looking at large swaths of the metagame.

I like the idea of Tera requiring an item, but that seems too arbitrary to implement. If that was an option, it would’ve been done last gen with Dynamax.
To be fair, we probably could have if we wanted to. It wouldn't be hard to use some useless item and justify it through "gentleman's agreement" if there was enough support for it.

The issue is there wasn't nearly the support for Dynamax that we are seeing now for Tera. What is this really about for people? Is it about the actual mechanics or is it about a popularity contest? I've ranted about this before, so I'll save it. But the difference now is Smogon already set the precedent in gen 8.

If they wind up doing things that way again, Tera will be banned. If we come to some sort of compromise solution, whether it works or not, that will essentially be an admission that the precedent set in gen 8 was wrong. Not that they ultimately banned it, but that the community didn't try harder to make it work first.

While I definitely see your point, I think this argument is a bit akin to saying that since the Choice items allow so many broken Pokemon to gain such a power boost, it would be prudent to ban them. Of course, if Tera breaks the entire meta, it definitely needs a ban. However, it's hard to know if it's an issue of the mons or the gimmick.

To be fair, we probably could have if we wanted to. It wouldn't be hard to use some useless item and justify it through "gentleman's agreement" if there was enough support for it.

The issue is there wasn't nearly the support for Dynamax that we are seeing now for Tera. What is this really about for people? Is it about the actual mechanics or is it about a popularity contest? I've ranted about this before, so I'll save it. But the difference now is Smogon already set the precedent in gen 8.

If they wind up doing things that way again, Tera will be banned. If we come to some sort of compromise solution, whether it works or not, that will essentially be an admission that the precedent set in gen 8 was wrong. Not that they ultimately banned it, but that the community didn't try harder to make it work first.
You could also take the view that the support for Tera being higher means that it's a better, more competitive mechanic, and therefore justifies more effort to try and make work relative to Dynamax, which was much more heavily disliked. You could also say that tera is more strategic since it can interact with Pokemon in more ways than Dynamax did, because of the variety of Tera types. IMO it's not so comparable that we need to follow the Gen 8 precedent.

Not necessarily that they didn't try hard enough. The other issue is dynamax ban was more coherent with traditional tiering policy. Either ban it all or leave it all.

Ok but what if NBA didn't ban Terastallization?
I want to see what LeBron could do when he's Fire type.
Flying Curry would be straight up banned. Imagine if he could just fly up and block shots like Mutombo while hitting from the logo. More broken than Flutter Mane, ban this shit pls.

Also, Curry > LeBald. No bias. :psysly:

Let's get back on topic tho.

The thing about D-Max is that regardless of prediction, you were still screwed.

What good does it make knowing that I'm going to sic a Moxie Gyarados with a 130BP Flying STAB that raises Speed, doubled HP, any Item I want except Choice items because D-Max breaks the lock on them, and a 130 BP Ground move that raises SpD because fuck your Electric mons.

Dynamax was truly beyond busted and all but had zero drawbacks. There was 100% no way to even consider saving it.
Honestly, I don't think even RBY produced something THAT busted. And that game had Amnesia Mewtwo.

Terastal, as strong as it is, is nowhere near the level Dynamax was.

They kind of did have That Big Fuck You Thing though. Gen 1 had… well, everything, Gen 2 had held items, Gen 3 had Abilities, and Gen 4 had good held items (and Stealth Rock).
The big distinction in my mind between those is that they stayed around for future generations and were intended to be improvements to the battle system as a whole. Z-Moves, Mega's* and Dynamax (and what I Imagine will be Tera's fate) kinda get axed by Gamefreak next Gen. That said, the separation in my mind between them also exists because Z-Moves and Dyna have an overwhelm factor to me that (most) abilities and items never gave me, so YMMV on those as a whole.
(* = I know Mega Evo's were in Gen 7 but they got Axed in Gen 8, so.)

As someone who mainly plays NatDex I'm not sure how much Home would impact tera staying, especially since we also don't have the Hisuian forms there until they drop. That being said, Roaring Moon (the defacto "sweeper who abuses tera type") got banned and outside of that it seems somewhat fine? I'll occasionally get match ups where I lost because I didn't prepare for one tera type on a niche sweeper and wasn't able to counter it, but not often. However, I rarely see anyone use tera types at all outside of STAB boosts anyway so I'm not sure how much input I can really even give. Maybe having enough of a varied pool of mons makes Tera a lot less bad than it is in normal OU but I really can't be sure.
Any input is good I'd say. Surprised to hear that (Though not about the Roaring Moon ban), I was actually expecting it to be way more commonly used on the defensive side rather than for STAB Boosts? And I imagine it could just be that there's more answers for potential Tera's in NatDex for them (Or people are primarily playing in OU and haven't found out how to use it on older 'mons).

Flying Curry would be straight up banned. Imagine if he could just fly up and block shots like Mutombo while hitting from the logo. More broken than Flutter Mane, ban this shit pls.

Also, Curry > LeBald. No bias. 

Let's get back on topic tho.

The thing about D-Max is that regardless of prediction, you were still screwed.

What good does it make knowing that I'm going to sic a Moxie Gyarados with a 130BP Flying STAB that raises Speed, doubled HP, any Item I want except Choice items because D-Max breaks the lock on them, and a 130 BP Ground move that raises SpD because fuck your Electric mons.

Dynamax was truly beyond busted and all but had zero drawbacks. There was 100% no way to even consider saving it.

Honestly, I don't think even RBY produced somethneceing THAT busted. And that game had Amnesia Mewtwo.

Terastal, as strong as it is, is nowhere near the level Dynamax was.

Dynamax was obviously worse, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it couldn't be nerfed through complex bans

Any input is good I'd say. Surprised to hear that (Though not about the Roaring Moon ban), I was actually expecting it to be way more commonly used on the defensive side rather than for STAB Boosts? And I imagine it could just be that there's more answers for potential Tera's in NatDex for them (Or people are primarily playing in OU and haven't found out how to use it on older 'mons).
I'm not the best Pokemon player (this is my first gen back after mainly playing a bit of 6, 7, and almost no 8) so I peak at like 1400 usually so it could just be low level play and people lower on the ladder using it more for the big STAB boost instead of defensively, since I only ever see it defensively on sweepers with pretty defined weaknesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)