(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Actually, the reason it's not running Aerial Ace in ORAS is because Aerial Ace is actually not Winona's TM in ORAS anymore, despite the move itself still being TM40. Despite Aerial Ace staying a TM, they changed Winona's reward TM (and thus her recurring move) to Roost (TM19 in Gen 6), which is now the recurring move that her mons use.

And as you can see, ORAS Altaria is running Roost. Since Roost is a recovery move, they changed Altaria's moveset to become more defensively oriented to synergize with her new TM move being a recovery move instead of an attack. So it's now running Cotton Guard and a STAB that can inflict paralysis, unlike in RSE where Altaria is boosting with Dragon Dance and then trying to sweep, the ORAS version of Altaria is now running a more defensive set with Cotton Guard boosting its Defense to make it harder to KO while Roost keeps its HP up.

Yeah, surprisingly they replaced Winona's reward TM in ORAS even though they didn't need to, it's actually Roost in ORAS instead of Aerial Ace. A similar case happened with Norman, who originally gave out TM42 Facade in RSE, but despite Facade still being a TM in ORAS, Norman in ORAS gives out TM67 (Retaliate) instead.
Ah, okay. Can't believe I forgot that. I still think it was dumb to switch Altaria's moveset to be more hax-reliant when the original fight was already designed decently.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Actually, the reason it's not running Aerial Ace in ORAS is because Aerial Ace is actually not Winona's TM in ORAS anymore, despite the move itself still being TM40. Despite Aerial Ace staying a TM, they changed Winona's reward TM (and thus her recurring move) to Roost (TM19 in Gen 6), which is now the recurring move that her mons use.

And as you can see, ORAS Altaria is running Roost. Since Roost is a recovery move, they changed Altaria's moveset to become more defensively oriented to synergize with her new TM move being a recovery move instead of an attack. So it's now running Cotton Guard and a STAB that can inflict paralysis, unlike in RSE where Altaria is boosting with Dragon Dance and then trying to sweep, the ORAS version of Altaria is now running a more defensive set with Cotton Guard boosting its Defense to make it harder to KO while Roost keeps its HP up.

Yeah, surprisingly they replaced Winona's reward TM in ORAS even though they didn't need to, it's actually Roost in ORAS instead of Aerial Ace. A similar case happened with Norman, who originally gave out TM42 Facade in RSE, but despite Facade still being a TM in ORAS, Norman in ORAS gives out TM67 (Retaliate) instead.
There was a brief discussion the other day about how little Facade suits Norman and I read it and thought... yeah but Retaliate doesn't either really.

But then, Retaliate doesn't really suit either of the Gym Leaders who give it out (Lenora being the other) because it's such an overly specific move it's hard to make it work reliably, and it's hard to build a flavour around "I strike back hard once you faint my Pokemon". It's not so grating with Lenora because at that point it's probably the strongest Normal move you'll get for a while even without the boost, and I appreciate when the games introduces the player to more strategy-based moves early on. But for Norman it's an odd change because by then you'll definitely have some decent Normal moves (Slash, Take Down, maaaaybe Body Slam? And in ORAS Facade itself since you can buy it in Mauville) so I'm not sure why they felt the need to switch from Facade, which is a much more reliable move in general and definitely more useful during an in-game run.

Idk though, I think Facade suits Norman much more. He's described as someone who lives for Pokemon and his major character trait is that he trains relentlessly, to the exclusion of his personal life. He's got an indefatigable spirit and is motivated to get better by seeing his child rise high. I would definitely say that staying strong no matter what and turning a bad situation into an advantage the way Facade does fits him. Retaliate does also share this trait to an extent but it's a much less effective and consistent example since you literally have to lose a Pokemon to make the move work.

Maybe Normal is just a tricky type to design a flavour around since there's such a variance in move effects and styles compared to other types, though of course one might also argue that also has the potential to make it an easier type to design a flavour around. Attract suits Whitney's flavour (though it's not like she couldn't have given Rollout - Falkner gives the player Mud-Slap in Gen II after all) which is something she specifically mentions ("isn't it just perfect for a cutie like me?") And Work Up fits Cheren pretty well I guess although it's actually quite a broken move for when it comes.

It's funny though. FRLG and HGSS were overall quite sensible with the gym leader TMs they changed; with ORAS it mostly feels like change for change's sake. Except for Wallace which just straight-up felt like an admission of "yeah there really isn't a decent Water TM to give, here's the HM for Waterfall".

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Idk though, I think Facade suits Norman much more.
Especially when you remember Facade's Japanese name is "Bravado", which, yeah, fits Norman's personality as a Gym Leader.

Gym Leader & the TMs they give out I feel is going to be a lot of searching so, if I remember or unless we move onto another discussion, I'll look into it later (my think is, not only should we be looking at the TM they give, but maybe check the TM list to see if there was another choice).

But, for now, I will say that I always thought that it would be an interesting idea that, instead of just giving out a TM, they made the Gym Leader a Move Tutor of their Type. That way it makes sense for them to be in their Gyms all the time (though would be nice if they made their Gyms also their hobby/job to also explain it away, sort of like they did in Scarlet & Violet but with actual Gym Leader interaction) and the Gym Leader serves a role that that goes beyond a one-and-done boss. And, not only would this not limit them to the TM list, but they could have them offer some more Moves as you progress so you have a reason to at least check back in with them before facing the next boss (or challenging the Pokemon League). Plenty of potentials they have with the Gyms, a building dedicated to training a specific Type... and for the most part they only serve as a dungeon and boss. Like, another idea I had for Gyms was it having a small store which sold items relating to its Typing (the power-up Held item, move weakening Berries which cover its weaknesses, TMs of that Type, and other more specific items). Heck, it's a GYM, if there was any place that could raise your Pokemon EVs (dare I say IVs) it would be there...

Especially when you remember Facade's Japanese name is "Bravado", which, yeah, fits Norman's personality as a Gym Leader.

Gym Leader & the TMs they give out I feel is going to be a lot of searching so, if I remember or unless we move onto another discussion, I'll look into it later (my think is, not only should we be looking at the TM they give, but maybe check the TM list to see if there was another choice).

But, for now, I will say that I always thought that it would be an interesting idea that, instead of just giving out a TM, they made the Gym Leader a Move Tutor of their Type. That way it makes sense for them to be in their Gyms all the time (though would be nice if they made their Gyms also their hobby/job to also explain it away, sort of like they did in Scarlet & Violet but with actual Gym Leader interaction) and the Gym Leader serves a role that that goes beyond a one-and-done boss. And, not only would this not limit them to the TM list, but they could have them offer some more Moves as you progress so you have a reason to at least check back in with them before facing the next boss (or challenging the Pokemon League). Plenty of potentials they have with the Gyms, a building dedicated to training a specific Type... and for the most part they only serve as a dungeon and boss. Like, another idea I had for Gyms was it having a small store which sold items relating to its Typing (the power-up Held item, move weakening Berries which cover its weaknesses, TMs of that Type, and other more specific items). Heck, it's a GYM, if there was any place that could raise your Pokemon EVs (dare I say IVs) it would be there...
The move tutors in USUM were so good. There was access to BP early enough to make use of them, they were mostly consolidated so you weren't traipsing around the world trying to remember where one random NPC who teaches Blast Burn is located, and access to each set of moves was roughly a good fit for the power level.

And yet again, that went away and didn't come back. Gym Leaders would be a good replacement, but GF hates reusing their good ideas.

QuentinQuonce

Mmm you know what you got me interested in doing this so I'm gonna jump in and look at all the TMs each leader gives out in each game and reflect on how well it suits them, how useful the move is for that part of the game, and anything else that comes to mind. I have thoughts.

This could get long.

Brock - Bide/Rock Tomb

Bide is actually really cool as a first TM, even though it's obvs not Rock-type - as far as Rock TMs go in Gen I it's just Rock Slide, and that would be truly ridiculous. It's a neat gimmick for Brock to use - it demonstrates that there can be a bit more complexity to battles than seen so far. And honestly for the early game it's not a bad strategy.

FRLG mimics RSE in having Brock use Rock Tomb, which I also like as it's a great early-game TM. I've said before that I think it serves as a really neat tutorial for a lot of players: that some moves will hit more consistently at the expense of longer-term strategy, while others might be less reliable but provide benefits through special effects. And both approaches are valid ways to play the game.

Misty - Bubblebeam/Water Pulse

Misty starts the odd trend of Gym Leaders in RBY giving the player really overpowered moves. It seems like they were going for the idea that TMs taught more powerful moves than Pokemon learned normally as, with the exception of Fire Blast, nothing learns any of the Gym Leader TM moves naturally in RB. And Bubblebeam is quite powerful for this stage of the game - interestingly, the TM for the weaker Water Gun is found in Mt Moon - and is learned by a wide range of mons. I've always liked the move so can't fault it.

In the remake, she instead gives out Water Pulse - slightly weaker, but one with a useful side effect. Overall it feels like an improvement as it's a decent crutch until Surf comes along, though this only serves to highlight how ridiculous Wallace/Juan giving out the same TM is when you've already got Surf and Waterfall.

Lt Surge - Thunderbolt/Shock Wave

Overpowered moves brings us neatly on to Thunderbolt. Again, there's not a whole lot of choice as far as Electric goes - it was this or Thunder Wave, basically. Thunder (sans bolt) would have been even more ridiculously overpowered for the 3rd gym leader.

That being the case, I actually really don't like that FRLG gave Surge Shock Wave instead; from a flavour standpoint it doesn't fit him at all. I do not buy that he'd use such a wimpy move.

Erika - Mega Drain/Giga Drain

Lack of choice was again the major factor here - the only other Grass TM in the game is Solarbeam, which is found in the Pokemon Mansion alongside the similarly high-powered Blizzard. (Like either of those will help you against Blaine.) They're basically the same move, but Giga Drain feels about right for this stage.

Koga - Toxic

No notes, good move, good flavour.

Sabrina - Psywave/Calm Mind

Everyone knows that Psychic was the boss type in Gen I, and defeating Sabrina can be pretty tough - so what's your reward? Psywave. Inferior in literally every way to Psychic, which... is given to you completely for free by a random man in the same city.

Genuinely might be the most puzzling design decision of Gen I overall, and that is quite the achievement.

FRLG could have gone with Psychic, Calm Mind, or Skill Swap and they'd have all felt suitable, but as Mr Psychic is a named NPC and Skill Swap is mostly useless in single battles so would have been wasted on Sabrina's team, Calm Mind won out. Fits the flavour of pretty much all the Psychic users.

Blaine - Fire Blast

Again, no notes, (nominal) best Fire attack in the game. Blaine did not need Overheat.

Giovanni - Fissure/Earthquake

Both options are good. Fissure is a funny option in a game where Earthquake also is a TM (in Silph Co of all places, which is quite early compared to when you usually get it) but it's so OP it feels like a really cool reward for beating the final gym. Obviously, later on they just have him give you Earthquake instead, which... sure, yeah.

Honestly a lot of the Kanto leaders feel like the game devs going "oh right, there's 42 more TMs than in GSC" and dumping them on whichever leader had a type that matched. Let's see how that turned out.

Brock - nothing/Rock Slide

Rock Slide definitely feels more right on Brock than Stone Edge did. In Gen II, of course, he gives you nothing, probably because the only Rock TM in Gen II is Rollout, which... yeah, no.

Misty - nothing/Water Pulse

Ah, Water Pulse again. Brine wouldn't have been great either, but she could perhaps have given Rain Dance, which was removed from the Dept Store in the remakes.

Surge - nothing/Shock Wave

Sigh.

Erika - Giga Drain/Giga Drain

The only Kanto gym leader to give out the same TM in both generations, Erika continues to reward Giga Drain. It's a pity that you get the TM for Solarbeam long before this, though (and that you'll likely be at the level where any Grass-type you have knows a strong attacking move already).

Janine - Toxic/Poison Jab
Wait, what.

They took the TM that Janine's family literally canonically invented and gave her something else?

I... why?

Just to make Toxic buyable? Even though it's already buyable in DPP?

Ugh.

If I were feeling charitable I'd say it feels like it could be a subtle bit of characterisation, a sign that Janine doesn't feel like she's worthy yet of being called her father's heir, and her chosen TM reflects her more direct attacking style. But nothing in the game suggests that Janine feels any detachment from her legacy (quite the opposite, in fact) and given HGSS's general laziness I'm inclined to say this is really, really dumb.

Sabrina - nothing/Skill Swap
With Psychic and Dream Eater both handed out by flavour-relevant NPCs, Sabrina has no options to work with in Gen II other than Rest, which doesn't suit her flavour at all - though it's worth pointing out that Psych Up (TM09 in Gen II) has no native method of being obtained. It'd have been tricky to show that off well in battle, though.

In Gen IV, Sabrina gets... Skill Swap. Also a hard one to show off in battle. Calm Mind, the more obvious candidate, gets relegated to being a buyable TM. Eh.

Blaine - nothing/Overheat

Hey, remember when I said Blaine didn't need Overheat? Yeah that's still true

Blue - nothing/Trick Room

Giving Blue Trick Room in Gen IV was actually a really neat idea. Too bad most of his team doesn't benefit from it. But still. On paper, good idea.

Plus what else could he have realistically given? Explosion? Hyper Beam? Giga Impact?

...Rock Climb?

Falkner - Mud-Slap/Roost

IMO, Mud Slap gets unfairly criticised. It's a useful option early-game to give some coverage to something that might not learn Ground moves otherwise (and most early-game Johto species don't). And it's another learning moment for new players, since - as Falkner points out - it's a move that is both offensive and defensive, and one of the first of that nature you'll encounter.

Roost is really good, and honestly a little too good for that early on. Could have been Pluck (which is learned by Hoothoot, Natu, Farfetch'd, Pidgey, and Spearow) but on a meta level I appreciate Roost being Falkner's TM as it stops HGSS from feeling too similar to DPP - Pluck comes at basically the same point of the game in Sinnoh, and it's a neat change of pace to have the first leader's signature move be a healing move. (Roark, of course, got in early with the "first status move").

Bugsy - Fury Cutter/U-Turn

Same sort of situation as Falkner, really. Fury Cutter is weak but again demonstrates an element of strategy required, while U-Turn is a really good move for how early it's obtained. But Bugsy really didn't have any other options - X-Scissor is way too strong, and Scyther doesn't learn Silver Wind.

Whitney - Attract

Yes, good

Morty - Shadow Ball

Refer to Whitney's entry

Chuck - Dynamicpunch/Focus Punch

Outside of the fact that they, well, aren't, Dynamicpunch and Focus Punch are basically the same move: a high-risk, enormously powerful punch. Dynamicpunch definitely suits Chuck's flavour better, but Focus Punch is adequate as a second choice.

Jasmine - Iron Tail

Was going to say "yes, good" again but Iron Tail is not what anyone could really call good. Hmm, Steel Wing... maybe she should have had a Skarmory...

Pryce - Icy Wind/Hail

Useful as it can be in other locations, Icy Wind is a laughably poor signature move for the seventh gym leader. Hail makes for a far better choice.

Clair - Dragonbreath/Dragon Pulse

Basically just a direct upgrade. Dragonbreath sucks as a reward for beating Clair (though of course in Crystal it's not the real reward - that'd be that sick Extremespeed Dratini) but it's valuable simply by dint of being a Dragon move despite its weak base power. Dragon Pulse is actually worth getting.

Roxanne - Rock Tomb

Refer to Brock's entry for my thoughts on Rock Tomb.

Brawly - Bulk Up

Bulk Up's a great move for this stage of the game (where most Pokemon tend to be physically inclined).

Wattson - Shock Wave/Volt Switch

I dislike Sludge Wave greatly, so rather resent it taking Shock Wave's place in the TM list. Not that I had any prior great attachment to that move.
But randomly switching in and out does feel like a fit for Wattson's rather wacky personality so this isn't a change that bugs me.

Flannery - Overheat

Great move, great fit for her flavour, just great. Great.

Norman - Facade/Retaliate

Ah, the prompt for this conversation. As discussed above, a weird and inexplicable change.

Winona - Aerial Ace/Roost

And this one, too. Seems as if someone decided that she was just too powerful in RSE. It's honestly the lamest change of all. The one time an Altaria was ever a legitimate threat... we just couldn't let it have that one time, could we?

Tate&Liza - Calm Mind

Not much to say - good move, good gym leader(s), good fit.

Wallace(/Juan) - Water Pulse/Waterfall

We've covered this. Waterfall makes sense to give to the player in ORAS. In the original RSE, my feeling is that they should have just had Wallace/Juan give the player Ice Beam. The Sootopolis Gym is almost an Ice gym, just lean into it a little more.

Roark - Stealth Rock

Ah, Stealth Rock. Excellent move. Kind of a weird one for a signature move but I can see why they wanted to show it off.

Gardenia - Grass Knot

Bit of a funny choice to have Grass Knot show up so early, since at that stage of the game few Pokemon are heavy enough to suffer too much from it. I guess it destroys Prinplup. Energy Ball feels equally suited, but that would probably have warranted Gardenia being later in the running order.

Fantina - Shadow Claw

For what it is, Shadow Claw is a really meh sort of move. Shadow Ball, or even Dark Pulse, would legitimately suit Fantina better. But I guess she had to have a new move, so... whatever.

Maylene - Drain Punch

Ha, Drain Punch suits Maylene because she's hungry! Never thought about that before. Cute.

Crasher Wake - Brine

Brine is fine (ha), but it's completely at odds with Wake's flavour. How, you ask? Well, Wake explicitly says his policy is simply to use whatever move makes battles more fun. But then gives you this, which, according to him "ends battles decisively!" So which is it?

Nah, maybe that's nitpicking. I've never really used Brine so I don't have a lot of opinions on it either way. In Platinum, we're again back to the situation where you're given a Water TM around the same time as you get access to Surf, so it's quickly redundant.

Byron - Flash Cannon

Much like Fantina, this is a really meh sort of move. It's fine.

Candice - Avalanche

This is the only one that really doesn't work, on any level. Avalanche forces the user to go last - fine for Snover and Abomasnow, but in DP she also has a Sneasel with the move. In Platinum, she removes it from her Sneasel, but her signature Pokemon changes to... Froslass, which similarly is quick and frail, and fittingly doesn't know Avalanche.

Even if it worked for her team, Candice's whole vibe is that she acts opposite to a stereotypical Ice specialist: bubbly, friendly, jumpy. Wulfric and Pryce both suit the passive, reactive Avalanche more - Candice seems more suited to Blizzard. But again, we had to go with a new move...

Volkner - Charge Beam

Charge Beam is actually a pretty cool move, but Volkner's team in DP is such a mess that only his Octillery can properly take advantage of its secondary effect; neither his Raichu nor his Luxray know any other special moves. It's slightly better in Platinum where his Raichu knows Signal Beam and Focus Blast (though his Jolteon didn't get the memo) but his Electivire and Luxray sensibly avoid using the move altogether. Wild Charge came a generation too late for this guy.

Cilan/Chili/Cress/Cheren - Work Up

Four in one! Works well for all of them IMO, and the fact that both initial gyms give it makes Work Up feel like the "basic" Unova status move. Pretty good all round.

Lenora - Retaliate

Discussed earlier. Decent enough for when it comes in BW but honestly the more I think about this the more I think it's just a crap idea for a move.

Roxie - Venoshock

Yeah this is alright I guess. The only other new Poison TM was Sludge Wave which, as mentioned, I dislike greatly so glad that wasn't it. Also, it's too strong. I guess if that was the only option they could have had Roxie be absent and made you fight her later.

Burgh - Struggle Bug

Similar move to Rock Tomb (it's weaker but more accurate) and it comes just early enough to convey the same basic principle. I like this move for Burgh a lot, a surprising amount of Bug moves are brute force sort of attacks but this isn't.

Elesa - Volt Switch

Cool move, right power level, allows for some slightly tricky strategy. No issue here.

Clay - Bulldoze

You know, we'd actually been missing a decent, consistent, accessible mid-game Ground move up until this point. Unless you actually had a Ground-type on your team that learned Magnitude or Mud Shot or something, Dig was pretty much your only option for a Ground move until you obtained Earthquake. But Bulldoze rises to the occasion well - has a neat guaranteed secondary effect, and is powerful enough to be an option right up until the end of the game. It's a pity that it came when TMs are reusable, as in an earlier game it's a legitimate option to keep instead of Earthquake.

Skyla - Acrobatics

Superb move, no notes.

Brycen - Frost Breath

Meh. I've never really used Frost Breath, better options exist. It's one of those moves that's nice in theory - guaranteed critical hits are cool - but you'll still probably be better of using Ice Beam or something.

Drayden - Dragon Tail

Great move on its own, but awful when used by Drayden (and Iris in White) since he pairs it with Dragon Dance. Again, it's a good move in theory but if you've got a Dragon-type at this point it'll likely know a more consistent, reliable move.

Marlon - Scald

It took five generations but they finally solved the "already got Surf but here's a Water TM" problem. Scald's a great move and definitely appreciated from the final gym leader. It's such a tease that in BW you get it after the fourth badge and B2W2 make you wait until after the eighth. Probably the best TM you get from a final gym leader overall, tied with FRLG.

Viola - Infestation

Great move, lots of fun in the early-game (but also just, in general). Fools you into thinking each Gym Leader will give out a new move.

Grant - Rock Tomb

Oh, Rock Tomb! ...again. Fine in principle, as covered (twice), just lazy. That said, it's worth pointing out that Grant actually uses Rock Tomb's secondary effect really well - his Tyrunt uses Bite and Stomp to try and flinch you. Okay, so that's actually a better use than Roxanne and Brock ever managed. Pass.

Korrina - Power-Up Punch

Great move, made Mega Kangaskhan very happy. And that made me happy.

Ramos - Grass Knot

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Clemont - Thunderbolt

"Hey, so we didn't make any of the new Electric moves into TMs"

"Oh okay, so maybe we should rethink having an Electric-type Gym Leader?"

"Nah, it'll be fine"

Valerie - Dazzling Gleam

Great move, flavour match, no notes.

Olympia - Calm Mind

Also a great move and a flavour match, just dull. Olympia in general is dull. I hear she was great in the anime though.

Wulfric - Ice Beam

Wulfric is pretty cool and it's funny that he's the first gym leader to actually give Ice Beam. Still lazy though.

Last edited:
Another thing that's bothering me in my Crystal playthrough: you can't get the Rock Smash TM until after Whitney, which is annoying because I caught a Heracross for her gym, and that's the earliest Fighting move it can learn. Gosh, movepools used to suck.
Rock Smash is worthless for direct damage. It is only 20 Power in Gen II, so it would be 30 with STAB. Horn Attack is learned at level 6 and has 65 power without STAB. In fact it is weaker than non-STAB Tackle, which is 35 power in Gen II.

It is also worthless for the Defense Drop, because Heracross can learn Leer. Using Leer then Horn Attack would be a far better use of 2 turns than using Rock Smash twice.

There are some Psychic types that can learn the Zap Cannon TM in Gen II but no other offensive electric moves that are categorized special in the Gen IV onwards: Slowbro, Hypno, Espeon, and Slowking (Alakazam could learn it too but it at least later got the lower-powered Shock Wave and Charge Beam). Not a single one can learn Mind Reader... Except Hypno, who can only learn in in BDSP, which reset movesets and thus is incompatible with Zap Cannon.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm really not a fan of how Gen VI, save for Korrina's Power-Up Punch and Valerie's Dazzling Gleam, does not give TMs for any move introduced in its own generation.
Actually you forgot Viola's Infestation. That was also a new move at the time and a new TM replacing Work Up. So you have three Gym Leaders in Kalos who give out new moves and give who give out old moves.

Galar was significantly worse in this department, as the only new move that is given out by the Gym Leaders as a TM is Breaking Swipe by Raihan, the final Gym Leader. Other than that, you have Milo giving out Magical Leaf, Nessa giving out Whirlpool, Kabu giving out Will-O-Wisp, Bea giving out Revenge, Allister giving out Hex, Opal giving out Draining Kiss, Gordie giving out Rock Tomb, Melony giving out Icy Wind, and Piers giving out Snarl.

Paldea is closer to Kalos in terms of Gym Leader TM distribution, having a decent mix of new and old moves given out. You have Katy giving out Pounce, Brassius giving out Trailblaze, Kofu giving out Chilling Water, and Grusha giving out Ice Spinner as new moves, meanwhile on the other hand you have Iono giving out Volt Switch, Larry giving out Facade, Ryme giving out Shadow Ball, and Tulip giving out Psychic as old moves.

Mmm you know what you got me interested in doing this so I'm gonna jump in and look at all the TMs each leader gives out in each game and reflect on how well it suits them, how useful the move is for that part of the game, and anything else that comes to mind. I have thoughts.

This could get long.

Brock - Bide/Rock Tomb

Bide is actually really cool as a first TM, even though it's obvs not Rock-type - as far as Rock TMs go in Gen I it's just Rock Slide, and that would be truly ridiculous. It's a neat gimmick for Brock to use - it demonstrates that there can be a bit more complexity to battles than seen so far. And honestly for the early game it's not a bad strategy.

FRLG mimics RSE in having Brock use Rock Tomb, which I also like as it's a great early-game TM. I've said before that I think it serves as a really neat tutorial for a lot of players: that some moves will hit more consistently at the expense of longer-term strategy, while others might be less reliable but provide benefits through special effects. And both approaches are valid ways to play the game.

Misty - Bubblebeam/Water Pulse

Misty starts the odd trend of Gym Leaders in RBY giving the player really overpowered moves. It seems like they were going for the idea that TMs taught more powerful moves than Pokemon learned normally as, with the exception of Fire Blast, nothing learns any of the Gym Leader TM moves naturally in RB. And Bubblebeam is quite powerful for this stage of the game - interestingly, the TM for the weaker Water Gun is found in Mt Moon - and is learned by a wide range of mons. I've always liked the move so can't fault it.

In the remake, she instead gives out Water Pulse - slightly weaker, but one with a useful side effect. Overall it feels like an improvement as it's a decent crutch until Surf comes along, though this only serves to highlight how ridiculous Wallace/Juan giving out the same TM is when you've already got Surf and Waterfall.

Overpowered moves brings us neatly on to Thunderbolt. Again, there's not a whole lot of choice as far as Electric goes - it was this or Thunder Wave, basically. Thunder (sans bolt) would have been even more ridiculously overpowered for the 3rd gym leader.

That being the case, I actually really don't like that FRLG gave Surge Shock Wave instead; from a flavour standpoint it doesn't fit him at all. I do not buy that he'd use such a wimpy move.

Erika - Mega Drain/Giga Drain

Lack of choice was again the major factor here - the only other Grass TM in the game is Solarbeam, which is found in the Pokemon Mansion alongside the similarly high-powered Blizzard. (Like either of those will help you against Blaine.) They're basically the same move, but Giga Drain feels about right for this stage.

Koga - Toxic

No notes, good move, good flavour.

Everyone knows that Psychic was the boss type in Gen I, and defeating Sabrina can be pretty tough - so what's your reward? Psywave. Inferior in literally every way to Psychic, which... is given to you completely for free by a random man in the same city.

Genuinely might be the most puzzling design decision of Gen I overall, and that is quite the achievement.

FRLG could have gone with Psychic, Calm Mind, or Skill Swap and they'd have all felt suitable, but as Mr Psychic is a named NPC and Skill Swap is mostly useless in single battles so would have been wasted on Sabrina's team, Calm Mind won out. Fits the flavour of pretty much all the Psychic users.

Blaine - Fire Blast

Again, no notes, (nominal) best Fire attack in the game. Blaine did not need Overheat.

Giovanni - Fissure/Earthquake

Both options are good. Fissure is a funny option in a game where Earthquake also is a TM (in Silph Co of all places, which is quite early compared to when you usually get it) but it's so OP it feels like a really cool reward for beating the final gym. Obviously, later on they just have him give you Earthquake instead, which... sure, yeah.

Honestly a lot of the Kanto leaders feel like the game devs going "oh right, there's 42 more TMs than in GSC" and dumping them on whichever leader had a type that matched. Let's see how that turned out.

Brock - nothing/Rock Slide

Rock Slide definitely feels more right on Brock than Stone Edge did. In Gen II, of course, he gives you nothing, probably because the only Rock TM in Gen II is Rollout, which... yeah, no.

Misty - nothing/Water Pulse

Ah, Water Pulse again. Brine wouldn't have been great either, but she could perhaps have given Rain Dance, which was removed from the Dept Store in this game.

Surge - nothing/Shock Wave

Sigh.

Erika - Giga Drain/Giga Drain

The only Kanto gym leader to give out the same TM in both generations, Erika continues to reward Giga Drain. It's a pity that you get the TM for Solarbeam long before this, though (and that you'll likely be at the level where any Grass-type you have knows a strong attacking move already).

Wait, what.

They took the TM that Janine's family literally canonically invented and gave her something else?

I... why?

Ugh.

If I were feeling charitable I'd say it feels like it could be a subtle bit of characterisation, a sign that Janine doesn't feel like she's worthy yet of being called her father's heir, and her chosen TM reflects her more direct attacking style. But nothing in the game suggests that Janine feels any detachment from her legacy (quite the opposite, in fact) and given HGSS's general laziness I'm inclined to say this is really, really dumb.

Sabrina - nothing/Skill Swap
With Psychic and Dream Eater both handed out by flavour-relevant NPCs, Sabrina has no options to work with in Gen II other than Rest, which doesn't suit her flavour at all - though it's worth pointing out that Psych Up (TM09 in Gen II) has no native method of being obtained. It'd have been tricky to show that off well in battle, though.

In Gen IV, Sabrina gets... Skill Swap. Also a hard one to show off in battle. Calm Mind, the more obvious candidate, gets relegated to being a buyable TM. Eh.

Blaine - nothing/Overheat

Hey, remember when I said Blaine didn't need Overheat? Yeah that's still true

Blue - nothing/Trick Room

Giving Blue Trick Room in Gen IV was actually a really neat idea. Too bad most of his team doesn't benefit from it. But still. On paper, good idea.

Plus what else could he have realistically given? Explosion? Hyper Beam? Giga Impact?

...Rock Climb?

Falkner - Mud-Slap/Roost

IMO, Mud Slap gets unfairly criticised. It's a useful option early-game to give some coverage to something that might not learn Ground moves otherwise (and most early-game Johto species don't). And it's another learning moment for new players, since - as Falkner points out - it's a move that is both offensive and defensive, and one of the first of that nature you'll encounter.

Roost is really good, and honestly a little too good for that early on. Could have been Pluck (which is learned by Hoothoot, Natu, Farfetch'd, Pidgey, and Spearow) but on a meta level I appreciate Roost being Falkner's TM as it stops HGSS from feeling too similar to DPP - Pluck comes at basically the same point of the game in Sinnoh, and it's a neat change of pace to have the first leader's signature move be a healing move. (Roark, of course, got in early with the "first status move").

Bugsy - Fury Cutter/U-Turn

Same sort of situation as Falkner, really. Fury Cutter is weak but again demonstrates an element of strategy required, while U-Turn is a really good move for how early it's obtained. But Bugsy really didn't have any other options - X-Scissor is way too strong, and Scyther doesn't learn Silver Wind.

Whitney - Attract

Yes, good

Morty - Shadow Ball

Refer to Whitney's entry

Chuck - Dynamicpunch/Focus Punch

Outside of the fact that they, well, aren't, Dynamicpunch and Focus Punch are basically the same move: a high-risk, enormously powerful punch. Dynamicpunch definitely suits Chuck's flavour better, but Focus Punch is adequate as a second choice.

Jasmine - Iron Tail

Was going to say "yes, good" again but Iron Tail is not what anyone could really call good. Hmm, Steel Wing... maybe she should have had a Skarmory...

Pryce - Icy Wind/Hail

Useful as it can be in other locations, Icy Wind is a laughably poor signature move for the seventh gym leader. Hail makes for a far better choice.

Clair - Dragonbreath/Dragon Pulse

Basically just a direct upgrade. Dragonbreath sucks as a reward for beating Clair (though of course in Crystal it's not the real reward - that'd be that sick Extremespeed Dratini) but it's valuable simply by dint of being a Dragon move despite its weak base power. Dragon Pulse is actually worth getting.

Roxanne - Rock Tomb

Refer to Brock's entry for my thoughts on Rock Tomb.

Brawly - Bulk Up

Bulk Up's a great move for this stage of the game (where most Pokemon tend to be physically inclined).

Wattson - Shock Wave/Volt Switch

I dislike Sludge Wave greatly, so rather resent it taking Shock Wave's place in the TM list. Not that I had any prior great attachment to that move.
But randomly switching in and out does feel like a fit for Wattson's rather wacky personality so this isn't a change that bugs me.

Flannery - Overheat

Great move, great fit for her flavour, just great. Great.

Norman - Facade/Retaliate

Ah, the prompt for this conversation. As discussed above, a weird and inexplicable change.

Winona - Aerial Ace/Roost

And this one, too. Seems as if someone decided that she was just too powerful in RSE. It's honestly the lamest change of all. The one time an Altaria was ever a legitimate threat... we just couldn't let it have that one time, could we?

Tate&Liza - Calm Mind

Not much to say - good move, good gym leader(s), good fit.

We've covered this. Waterfall makes sense to give to the player in ORAS. In the original RSE, my feeling is that they should have just had Wallace/Juan give the player Ice Beam. The Sootopolis Gym is almost an Ice gym, just lean into it a little more.

Roark - Stealth Rock

Ah, Stealth Rock. Excellent move. Kind of a weird one for a signature move but I can see why they wanted to show it off.

Gardenia - Grass Knot

Bit of a funny choice to have Grass Knot show up so early, since at that stage of the game few Pokemon are heavy enough to suffer too much from it. I guess it destroys Prinplup. Energy Ball feels equally suited, but that would probably have warranted Gardenia being later in the running order.

Fantina - Shadow Claw

For what it is, Shadow Claw is a really meh sort of move. Shadow Ball, or even Dark Pulse, would legitimately suit Fantina better. But I guess she had to have a new move, so... whatever.

Maylene - Drain Punch

Ha, Drain Punch suits Maylene because she's hungry! Never thought about that before. Cute.

Crasher Wake - Brine

Brine is fine (ha), but it's completely at odds with Wake's flavour. How, you ask? Well, Wake explicitly says his policy is simply to use whatever move makes battles more fun. But then gives you this, which, according to him "ends battles decisively!" So which is it?

Nah, maybe that's nitpicking. I've never really used Brine so I don't have a lot of opinions on it either way. In Platinum, we're again back to the situation where you're given a Water TM around the same time as you get access to Surf, so it's quickly redundant.

Byron - Flash Cannon

Candice - Avalanche

This is the only one that really doesn't work, on any level. Avalanche forces the user to go last - fine for Snover and Abomasnow, but in DP she also has a Sneasel with the move. In Platinum, she removes it from her Sneasel, but her signature Pokemon changes to... Froslass, which similarly is quick and frail, and fittingly doesn't know Avalanche.

Even if it worked for her team, Candice's whole vibe is that she acts opposite to a stereotypical Ice specialist: bubbly, friendly, jumpy. Wulfric and Pryce both suit the passive, reactive Avalanche more - Candice seems more suited to Blizzard. But again, we had to go with a new move...

Volkner - Charge Beam

Charge Beam is actually a pretty cool move, but Volkner's team in DP is such a mess that only his Octillery can properly take advantage of its secondary effect; neither his Raichu nor his Luxray know any other special moves. It's slightly better in Platinum where his Raichu knows Signal Beam and Focus Blast (though his Jolteon didn't get the memo) but his Electivire and Luxray sensibly avoid using the move altogether. Wild Charge came a generation too late for this guy.

Cilan/Chili/Cress/Cheren - Work Up

Four in one! Works well for all of them IMO, and the fact that both initial gyms give it makes Work Up feel like the "basic" Unova status move. Pretty good all round.

Lenora - Retaliate

Discussed earlier. Decent enough for when it comes in BW but honestly the more I think about this the more I think it's just a crap idea for a move.

Roxie - Venoshock

Yeah this is alright I guess. The only other new Poison TM was Sludge Wave which, as mentioned, I dislike greatly so glad that wasn't it. Also, it's too strong. I guess if that was the only option they could have had Roxie be absent and made you fight her later.

Burgh - Struggle Bug

Similar move to Rock Tomb (it's weaker but more accurate) and it comes just early enough to convey the same basic principle. I like this move for Burgh a lot, a surprising amount of Bug moves are brute force sort of attacks but this isn't.

Elesa - Volt Switch

Cool move, right power level, allows for some slightly tricky strategy. No issue here.

Clay - Bulldoze

You know, we'd actually been missing a decent, consistent, accessible mid-game Ground move up until this point. Unless you actually had a Ground-type on your team that learned Magnitude or Mud Shot or something, Dig was pretty much your only option for a Ground move until you obtained Earthquake. But Bulldoze rises to the occasion well - has a neat guaranteed secondary effect, and is powerful enough to be an option right up until the end of the game. It's a pity that it came when TMs are reusable, as in an earlier game it's a legitimate option to keep instead of Earthquake.

Skyla - Acrobatics

Superb move, no notes.

Brycen - Frost Breath

Meh. I've never really used Frost Breath, better options exist. It's one of those moves that's nice in theory - guaranteed critical hits are cool - but you'll still probably be better of fusing Ice Beam or something.

Drayden - Dragon Tail

Great move on its own, but awful when used by Drayden (and Iris in White) since he pairs it with Dragon Dance. Again, it's a good move in theory but if you've got a Dragon-type at this point it'll likely know a more consistent, reliable move.

Marlon - Scald

It took five generations but they finally solved the "already got Surf but here's a Water TM" problem. Scald's a great move and definitely appreciated from the final gym leader. It's such a tease that in BW you get it after the fourth badge and B2W2 make you wait until after the eighth. Probably the best TM you get from a final gym leader overall, tied with FRLG.

Viola - Infestation

Great move, lots of fun in the early-game (but also just, in general). Fools you into thinking each Gym Leader will give out a new move.

Grant - Rock Tomb

Oh, Rock Tomb! ...again. Fine in principle, as covered (twice), just lazy. That said, it's worth pointing out that Grant actually uses Rock Tomb's secondary effect really well - his Tyrunt uses Bite and Stomp to try and flinch you. Okay, so that's actually a better use than Roxanne and Brock ever managed. Pass.

Korrina - Power-Up Punch

Great move, made Mega Kangaskhan very happy. And that made me happy.

Ramos - Grass Knot

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Clemont - Thunderbolt

"Hey, so we didn't make any of the new Electric moves into TMs"

"Oh okay, so maybe we should rethink having an Electric-type Gym Leader?"

"Nah, it'll be fine"

Valerie - Dazzling Gleam

Great move, flavour match, no notes.

Olympia - Calm Mind

Also a great move and a flavour match, just dull. Olympia in general is dull. I hear she was great in the anime though.

Wulfric - Ice Beam

Wulfric is pretty cool and it's funny that he's the first gym leader to actually give Ice Beam. Still lazy though.
I've heard some fan theories about Surge's bravado being an act based on his gym layout consisting primarily of him hiding behind a wall. If you choose to subscribe to that, a no-risk low-reward move like Shock Wave would fit his actual personality.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Mmm you know what you got me interested in doing this so I'm gonna jump in.
That works too. :blobthumbsup:

Actually I like the idea of Thunder Wave for Lt. Surge because it matches with his pre-battle banter about how Electric-types helped him during the war by zapping his enemies into paralysis. It would have made sense if he created an Electric-type move strictly to 100% Paralyze opponents. Thunderbolt is just a stronger Thundershock (and comparatively weaker Thunder), I don't see the problem with it having been given to Electric-types to learn via level-up. When I think of a wild creature which can use electrical power, I don't imagine it would ever just use an electrical move to just cause paralysis, it would use electrical moves to injure because it's not thinking strategically.

I think they wanted to (1) not prevent Psychic-type Pokemon from learning Psychic naturally (because that would feel odd lorewise) and (2) since these are special Moves created by the Gym Leaders probably wanted them to have special gimmicks/utility. Sabrina was chosen to have the move which did Direct Damage, but not to overlap with Night Shade or Seismic Toss, gave it the trait of being able to do up to 1.5x the user's Level... with the drawback of also doing as low as 0.5x the user Level (and being 80% accurate). However, considering who gave it out, I don't think it quite fit. Sabrina is all about psychic domination. Now, that sounds like the only choice would be Psychic, however, looking through the TM list myself, I have an alternative suggestion: Reflect. Sabrina's Achilles heel are her Pokemon's low Defense stat, Psychic-types dominate the singular Special stat. Reflect would assure that, if you come into her Gym expecting to exploit this weakness, you'd be in for a nasty surprise (you could say she would have seen it coming...). Also only a few Pokemon naturally learn Reflect so it being removed from the Department Store isn't a huge loss.

Wait, what.

I... why?

Ugh.

I would have kept Janine giving out Toxic too as one aspect of her character is proud of her heritage, or at least of her father. However she is also rash and hotblooded, so I could totally see her being too impatient for a Toxic strategy and instead just go in with a decently strong Poison-type Move which has a high chance of Poisoning, "the best of both strategies" she would probably think. Finally I guess there could be a bit of wanting to do things differently from her father. When you defeat her in the Johto games her final bit of dialogue says she wants to be even stronger than her father. In GSC, her giving Toxic before saying that does make it feel like she's still living under her father's shadow. But in HGSS, with her giving Poison Jab, it feels like she has started this journey of aiming to be better by doing things differently.

Falkner - Mud-Slap/Roost

IMO, Mud Slap gets unfairly criticised.
People really only criticize it for not being a Flying-type, however that's overlooking Falkner is more of a BIRD trainer than a Flying-type trainer, it just so happens those two things coincide a lot of the time. And Mud-Slap does have something to do with birds: sand baths. It's a reason a lot of bird Pokemon learn Sand Attack, so why wouldn't they also learn the damaging version of Sand Attack (that, ironically, gets blocked by Flying-types)?

Jasmine - Iron Tail

Pryce - Icy Wind/Hail

I would say these make more sense lore wise. Thinking about it, it's kind of odd that there's two Steel-type TMs. In Gen II it's implied Steel was only recently discovered (which later on was obviously retcon but we're talking about Gen II here), Jasmine being one of the first adapters after somehow evolving her Onix into a Steelix. There was only 3 Steel-type Moves, all pretty much existing out of necessity for a certain Pokemon (Iron Tail for Steelix, Steel Wing for Skarmory, Metal Claw for Scizor); so how I see it either ALL of them should have been TMs (the idea being that these aren't natural Moves but improvised Moves developed by trainers) or there should have only been one Steel TM (the one which Jasmine gives as she would have developed it being a Steel-type Gym Leader). Anyway, Iron Tail was picked because they wanted to stick with lore: Jasmine was a Rock-type Gym Leader before evolving her Onix into Steelix, and so became a Steel-type where she developed a Steel-type move specifically for (her) Steelix to use; in a certain way it's kind of sweet.

Pryce using Icy Wind relates to his Gym Title: "The Teacher of Winter's Harshness". Pryce's pre-battle banter gives off the sense that Pryce is a bitter old man who prides himself in his skill with Ice-type Pokemon. He lightens up after you beat him, though one notable line is that in the original GSC, after giving you Icy Wind, he mentions it represents winter's harshness with it being a move so cold it slows down its opponents. And, honestly, that's really the main sell of Icy Wind, it's more of a utility move to decrease opponent's Speed which just does bonus Ice-type damage (and ignoring its usually better to increase your own stats than decreasing your opponents). Hail isn't a bad choice either, though I feel it does lose some of the edge to Pryce's words & title now that he's giving a move which changes the Weather than a damaging move with a notable stat deduff to the opponent.

Or Rain Dance, which some of their Pokemon Abilities activates with (in addition to the general advantage it gives to Water-types, specifically the boost in Power for Water-type moves). It's found in the Abandoned Ship in RS, no on will miss it not being there.

Gardenia - Grass Knot

Bullet Seed.

Fantina - Shadow Claw

Oh, right, that was a rule with TMs... well, it's a stupid rule that should be ignored. Especially since Gen III ended the idea with the TMs being something they invented as some Pokemon had them part of their level-up movesets. So, because of that, no need to force the Gym Leaders to only give out new Moves, but would take till Gen 6 to end it.

Well, Wake explicitly says his policy is simply to use whatever move makes battles more fun. But then gives you this, which, according to him "ends battles decisively!" So which is it?
Both. Ending battles decisively MAKES the battle more fun to Crasher Wake. :blobnom:

Byron - Flash Cannon

Candice - Avalanche

Volkner - Charge Beam

For Byron, Gyro Ball feels like it makes more sense, though Flash Cannon is more versatile to the player.

I think we're beginning to reach the point where the style of the Gym Leader is conflicting with what would be better TM of their Type to give out. If only they were a Move Tutor instead of just handing out a TM thus maybe allowing for a little more wiggle room in the Moves they teach...

Lenora - Retaliate

I agree not that great of an idea of a Move, especially for a Normal-type (feels more like a Dark-type move anyway), but I think Lenora's use of it was the most effective due to her being an early Gym Leader in a game where early GLs use 2 Pokemon. I think her AI is programed to use Retaliate as soon as Watchog comes out. Now Herdier had Retaliate too, but if it used it probably didn't do so much damage it was anything notable. And then Watchog comes out and 1HKOs your active Pokemon. Still, nothing too much to handle as it can only do it the once, casual playthroughs would just shrug it off, though I imagine those playing a Nuzlocke probably sweating a bit and picking a filler Pokemon to die (or they go in blind and have a valuable partner die, and being this is early high chance of it being the Starter or that handy Timburr you got lucky to catch and told would be SO helpful against the Normal-type Gym Leader).

Brycen - Frost Breath

Meh. I've never really used Frost Breath, better options exist. It's one of those moves that's nice in theory - guaranteed critical hits are cool - but you'll still probably be better of fusing Ice Beam or something.
Icicle Crash would have been better. "Um, Icicle Crash isn't a TM". Yes, that was a choice GF made... and thus a choice they could have also just as easily made it a TM. Infact it's something to keep in mind with all of these, there was nothing stopping GF specifically making the Gym TMs as something the Gym Leader would give. It's something they may have had in mind in early gens, but with these latter gens it feels like they're more working around what Moves they decided to make and choosing to make some TMs afterwards just so the Gym Leader has something to give.

Olympia in general is dull. I hear she was great in the anime though.
Yeah, she did a crazy little thing and actually ACTED upon getting a vision a crisis was coming. Where in the games she just told the player "hey, I just something REALLY bad was about to happen... well that's your problem to fix, bye!", in the anime she told Sycamore and Diantha about her vision, helped Ash by revealing Frogadier's past so their bond could become stronger (hence allowing Ash & Greninja to use Battle Bond), and joined with the other Kalos Gym Leaders to stop Lysandre.

So are you going to do LGPE, SwSh, and SV? I would do them, but since you started would be rude to jump in unless you don't want to.

I'm really not a fan of how Gen VI, save for Korrina's Power-Up Punch and Valerie's Dazzling Gleam, does not give TMs for any move introduced in its own generation.
Unless the new Move was SPECIFICALLY made with the Gym Leader in mind, I don't mind them reusing an old Move if it fits with the Gym Leader's style (which they did indeed tried doing, with a mix of old Moves, in Galar and Paldea as ScraftyIsTheBest went over).

I've heard some fan theories about Surge's bravado being an act based on his gym layout consisting primarily of him hiding behind a wall. If you choose to subscribe to that, a no-risk low-reward move like Shock Wave would fit his actual personality.
I always saw Surge's Gym as being what happens when you take a paranoid jarhead like Surge out of military duty and gave him the responsibility of rewarding a Badge to worthy trainers (or, as he may have interpreted it, protect the Badge from unworthy infiltrators). He barricades himself and his defense (aka his Pokemon) and sets up an elaborate trap where challengers would have to have the random thought to look inside the garbage cans all around the Gym to find switches at the bottom, two of which need to be pressed at the same time otherwise the barrier remains locked, and the challenger being hassled by Gym Trainers who not only try to defeat your Pokemon but also make traversing around the garbage can grid just that bit more annoying. I'm sure if you asked Lt. Surge what was up with his Gym Puzzle he would give you a lengthy story about one time he was on a battlefield and needed to use garbage cans to infiltrate the enemies stronghold.

You know if he was allowed he would have booby trapped the switches so that the challengers would get an electric shock for pressing the wrong one.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

Actually I like the idea of Thunder Wave for Lt. Surge because it matches with his pre-battle banter about how Electric-types helped him during the war by zapping his enemies into paralysis. It would have made sense if he created an Electric-type move strictly to 100% Paralyze opponents. Thunderbolt is just a stronger Thundershock (and comparatively weaker Thunder), I don't see the problem with it having been given to Electric-types to learn via level-up. When I think of a wild creature which can use electrical power, I don't imagine it would ever just use an electrical move to just cause paralysis, it would use electrical moves to injure because it's not thinking strategically.
Yeah I think I had his anime personality in mind when I was writing that, but you and Ironmage are right on that one. He's described as "cautious" by one of his trainers, after all. For Raichu and Electabuzz (the Pokemon he's most associated with) brute force is definitely the vibe though so Thunderbolt still works for him. That's a move many Pokemon will want, though in Yellow of course your partner Pikachu gets it by level.

I think they wanted to (1) not prevent Psychic-type Pokemon from learning Psychic naturally (because that would feel odd lorewise) and (2) since these are special Moves created by the Gym Leaders probably wanted them to have special gimmicks/utility. Sabrina was chosen to have the move which did Direct Damage, but not to overlap with Night Shade or Seismic Toss, gave it the trait of being able to do up to 1.5x the user's Level... with the drawback of also doing as low as 0.5x the user Level (and being 80% accurate). However, considering who gave it out, I don't think it quite fit. Sabrina is all about psychic domination. Now, that sounds like the only choice would be Psychic, however, looking through the TM list myself, I have an alternative suggestion: Reflect. Sabrina's Achilles heel are her Pokemon's low Defense stat, Psychic-types dominate the singular Special stat. Reflect would assure that, if you come into her Gym expecting to exploit this weakness, you'd be in for a nasty surprise (you could say she would have seen it coming...). Also only a few Pokemon naturally learn Reflect so it being removed from the Department Store isn't a huge loss.
Mmm yeah Reflect could have worked.

Confusion and Psybeam existed though, so removing Psychic from most Pokemon wouldn't have been so awful. Psybeam in particular is definitely a fine alternative for anything not able to get Psychic (the general average base power of moves was lower across the board back then after all). But Psywave really doesn't fit her.

Pryce using Icy Wind relates to his Gym Title: "The Teacher of Winter's Harshness". Pryce's pre-battle banter gives off the sense that Pryce is a bitter old man who prides himself in his skill with Ice-type Pokemon. He lightens up after you beat him, though one notable line is that in the original GSC, after giving you Icy Wind, he mentions it represents winter's harshness with it being a move so cold it slows down its opponents. And, honestly, that's really the main sell of Icy Wind, it's more of a utility move to decrease opponent's Speed which just does bonus Ice-type damage (and ignoring its usually better to increase your own stats than decreasing your opponents). Hail isn't a bad choice either, though I feel it does lose some of the edge to Pryce's words & title now that he's giving a move which changes the Weather than a damaging move with a notable stat deduff to the opponent.
Oh, I don't know. Him being the "teacher of winter's harshness" works fine with him giving/using Hail, as he's the one actively bringing winter's harshness. I mean yeah Icy Wind works for that too but it's disappointingly weak and it's not a move that's tremendously useful in-game, even accounting for the upcoming Dragon gym. Considering that you can get Blizzard with only two badges (yes, I know most people won't) Icy Wind is a pretty meh reward, whereas Hail is an all-round utility move.

Both. Ending battles decisively MAKES the battle more fun to Crasher Wake. :blobnom:
Eh... maybe I read it differently, but I always took that as him being more like "I could use this powerful move and wipe you out, but I'm going to use Aqua Ring or something instead to give you a chance to turn things around and make the battle last longer".

Obviously that runs counter to how the AI in the games generally works, but it's a neat idea flavour-wise. It gives the distinct impression that Wake is phenomenally tough, because he's often deliberately holding back - if he went all out he'd be mighty, but he's not interested in simply flattening challengers. Instead, his priority is to give everyone a good time. I thought it was a novel approach to a boss, even if it's not really reflected in his party.

I think we're beginning to reach the point where the style of the Gym Leader is conflicting with what would be better TM of their Type to give out. If only they were a Move Tutor instead of just handing out a TM thus maybe allowing for a little more wiggle room in the Moves they teach...
Yeah I definitely was thinking this when I was looking at the Sinnoh gang. Most of their moves are just quite... generic?

So are you going to do LGPE, SwSh, and SV? I would do them, but since you started would be rude to jump in unless you don't want to.
No, please go ahead! Much less familiar with those games so I stopped at Gen VI (also the post was getting loooong).

QuentinQuonce

Why is Machop brown in Gen 2?
The Gen II sprites all have very limited colour because of memory constraints. Machop's head fins are brown, so they coloured its body to match (which is also the case in its Yellow sprite).

If you want an in-universe reasoning, Pokemon often look different from one region to another (Arbok being another example). Maybe the mineral-rich soil in Kanto and Johto causes the Machop there to take on a darker body colouration compared to other areas.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Why is Machop brown in Gen 2?
So, went to Bulbapedia and noticed something about the Machop sprites:

Normal / Shiny

(Gen II)

(Gen III+)

So, either someone accidentally swapped the normal and Shiny sprites in the Gen II games, or when making the RS sprites (which colors can now more accurately match Sugimori's stock art) they decided to toss the old Shiny idea of it just becoming darker in color and instead have it resemble the brown-gray it was colored in Gen II. Though now this just make me wonder what the original Shiny idea would have looked like in continued.

No, please go ahead!
Alright, working on it! :blobthumbsup:

As far as I can tell, the only consistent rules for signature TMs seem to be:
1) At least one of the Leader's Pokemon must know the move (EDIT: pre-Paldea, at least)
2) If the TM is a damaging move, the Pokemon that know it cannot also know a more powerful move of the same type (doesn't apply for moves with variable power like Grass Knot)
These rules make sense as a way to try and force the Leaders to showcase their TM in battle, but they create an interesting side-effect where some Leaders' teams are actively weakened by their signature move versus what they would have had naturally by level-up or through TMs/HMs you'd reasonably expect them to have access to.

Fantina (DP) is the classic example of a Leader whose team is clearly weaker because she has to fit her TM in there. Haunter and Gengar are the only Ghost Pokemon in the DP Pokedex that can learn Shadow Claw, so her Level 34 Gengar has to use it in place of the much more powerful Shadow Ball, a move it would have learned naturally one level earlier. I don't really have an issue with this from a game design perspective: her Mismagius picks up the slack in this battle pretty effectively and I prefer having Shadow Claw be the one-off Gym TM rather than Shadow Ball, but it's pretty funny that she's obligated by the laws of Gym Leader TMs to run physical Gengar. In Platinum, the changed Gym order makes Shadow Claw a legitimately fine option on her level 24 Haunter.

Iris (W)/Drayden (B) have already been discussed to death, but it blows my mind to this day that they genuinely pose less of a threat than some of their Gym trainers, because at least the Gym trainers' Fraxure have a chance of snowballing if you let them set up a couple of Dragon Dances and start spamming Dragon Claw. If Iris and Drayden try the same strategy, their only hope is that your team is full of Ghost and Psychic mons so their AI lets them use Assurance instead of an attack that has -6 priority.

Juan/Wallace (RSE) (along with Misty (HGSS)) give out a TM so underpowered for their point in the game that their aces will prefer to use non-STAB Ice Beam when the type matchup is equivalent for both moves. Of particular note for the Hoenn Leaders, though, is that you literally need Surf to access their Gym!

Last edited:
So, went to Bulbapedia and noticed something about the Machop sprites:

Normal / Shiny

(Gen II)

(Gen III+)

So, either someone accidentally swapped the normal and Shiny sprites in the Gen II games, or when making the RS sprites (which colors can now more accurately match Sugimori's stock art) they decided to toss the old Shiny idea of it just becoming darker in color and instead have it resemble the brown-gray it was colored in Gen II. Though now this just make me wonder what the original Shiny idea would have looked like in continued.

Alright, working on it! :blobthumbsup:
...and then Gen 3 Machoke is purple/pink for some reason :psyangry:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
No, please go ahead!
Alright!

"Wait, what? But, there's no Gym Leaders. And the Captains don't give TMs nor the Kahuna."

Indeed, since Gen VII's super mechanic was the super move Z-Moves, instead of being given TMs you were rewarded Z-Crystals for completing the Trials. And, while it would be interesting to examine the progression of Z-Crystals/Moves you get (thinking about it already it's odd you get the Bug and Flying so late; maybe for another time), that doesn't the Island Challenge is completely devoid of TMs. While you're not directly given them, either in or around the Trials there are TMs which many either are the same Type as the Captain/Totem Pokemon or meant to help against them. Stretching the theme? Maybe, and if you feel that way you can just skip ahead, but I feel it's worth a peek:

Trial: Verdant Cavern
Captain / Type: Ilima / Normal
Totem: Gumshoos (Sun) / Alolan Raticate (Moon):
TM: Brick Break (found during Trial) & Thief (In Totem's Den, need Tauros Charge to get)
Whoa, Brick Break, THIS early? That's a very good and decently TM for the FIRST Gym Trail. Obviously it's meant to help with the Totem Pokemon (though, in a way, I guess it could also represent Hala? I could see Hala using his sumo to break something if he was so inclined; could stretch it to even relating to the Ride Pokemon he gives player access to, Tauros Charge), both weak to Fighting no matter which version you got (though you could probably OHKO Alolan Raticate with a Pokemon with a strong enough Attack). Though looking at the other Fighting TMs, I'm wondering if it was picked out of no better option. Despite being made a TM last gen, Rock Smash was removed from the list and the only other damaging ones is Focus Blast (lol, no) or Low Sleep (which has an awkward distribution due to it being a kicking/leg move).

Special mention to Thief, which fits Alolan Raticate as it's both a Dark-type and a thieving Pokemon, but not sure about Gumshoos. That said, Thief is something I would expect to be given out at a first Gym. Low power but has a handy secondary effect if you know where to use it. Doesn't really help out with the next few set of bosses, though; and by the time Dark would be a useful Type I think Thief wouldn't be that high enough of Power to use anyway.

Grand Trial/Type: Hala/Fighting
TM: False Swipe (from Kukui after battle)
BTW, Hala is going to be the only Kahuna on here as the locations of the other Grand Trials don't have any TMs directly related to the Trials.
Though, I say this as if the TM you get after defeating Hala has anything to do with him. Nah, it's just False Swipe, given by Professor Kukui to help you with registering more Pokemon to Rotom Dex. However I decided to include it as I found it funny that during the Normal-type Trial you get a Fighting-type TM and after the Fighting-type Trial you get a Normal-type TM. Hey, eitherway you now have two TMs to use with your Normal- and Fighting-type Z-Moves!...

Trial: Brooklet Hill
Captain / Type: Lana / Water
Totem: Wishiwashi (School Form)(SM) / Araquanid (USUM)
TM: Scald (SM) / Charge Beam (USUM)
Scald at third trial (or second if you count the Grand Trial as their own thing)! The Totem's Level is 20, your Starter is still in the early levels of its Mid Stage! Not that the other Water TMs wouldn't also be a bit OP: Surf and Waterfall (besides they had a funny little joke with those two being TMs now); there was also Rain Dance but it and the other Weather Moves were on sale in Royal Avenue; wouldn't feel right to separate one from the group and a bit of a hassle to now found 3 other locations appropriate for the others.

Interestingly enough this was one of the TMs that was swapped around in USUM. Instead of Scald it's now Charge Beam, a handy if low powered Electric Move to help with the new Water Totem (though overall weaker in stats, Araquanid's part Bug-type meant Grass isn't going to cut it anymore, sorry Bounsweet trade). Though it's funny, Charge Beam was original on Route 5 (it was replaced by nothing though there are other TMs on Route 5), Scald was moved to Ancient Poni Path where Frost Breath was, and Frost Breath was moved to Seaward Cave for no particular reason. Maybe they realized how insane Scald this early was and decided to give a reason to explore Seaward Cave... even though in USUM you need to visit Seaward Cave for a Ultra Recon Squad encounter. :blobshrug:

Trial: Wela Volcano Park
Captain / Type: Kiawe / Fire
Totem: Salazzle (SM) / Alolan Marowak (USUM)
TM: Rock Tomb
Hello Rock Tomb, you're coming in a bit late. I get it, at least in the original SM, Salazzle is fast so Rock Tomb is not only Super Effective but also decreases its Speed. But, now that we've gotten a Z-Crystal which has a Type advantage over a boss, if you were going to use any cheesing strategy it would be training a Water-type to nuke Salazzle with a Hydro Vortex. I suppose this could be one reason why they swapped it out for Alolan Marowak, it's more bulky so could likely survive a Hydro Vortex, of course since its slow that makes the Rock Tomb TM feel even less useful. Couldn't at least upgrade it to Rock Slide? It's part Ghost now, how about Shadow Ball/Claw or Dark Pulse? Then again, the only reasoning I'm even suggesting those is that they spoiled us early it now feels like a let down when they're giving us TMs which are actually about the level we're at.

Trial: Lush Jungle
Captain / Type: Mallow / Grass
Totem: Lurantis
TM: Grass Knot (found during Trial) & Smart Strike (from Kukui after Trial)
I know what you're thinking, "oh goodie, Grass Knot, Energy Ball eat your heart out", BUT unlike previous handouts of Grass Knot such as from Ramos of Kalos, coming up is Rock-type Kahuna Olivia and newly appointed Ground-type Kahuna Hapu; both who tend to use heavy Pokemon. Of course once you have Machamp Shove you should head back to Lush Jungle to get Energy Ball, but until then Grass Knot could suffice if you have no better option for Grass-type moves against an upcoming boss.

Speaking of Olivia, Kukui doesn't say it, but that's likely why he just randomly gives you Smart Strike (not sure why he/GF feels this is the only Kahuna we should get a helpful TM for; Could have given us Aerial Ace for Hala at least). Smart Strike is alright if you need a decent Steel-type move, and your Pokemon had a horn (it's called "Smart Horn" in Japanese, not sure why they felt they needed to change it. I would have actually dropped the "smart" part and called it something like "Target Horn" or, if they wanted the alliteration, "Honing Horn").

Trial: Hokulani Observatory (Mount Hokulani)
Captain / Type: Sophocles / Electric
Totem: Vikavolt (SM) / Togedemaru (USUM)
TM: Volt Switch (on Mount Hokulani) & Snarl (from defeating Route Leader/Z-Trainer Veteran Akira)
More than halfway through the Island Challenge now. Volt Switch nor Snarl isn't that exciting. Volt Switch could give an Electric-type on your team a get-out-of-dodge against unfavorable match-up while also doing some damage, BUT since that doesn't work on Ground-types your Electric-type likely already has a normal Electric-type move serving it just fine. And I know including Snarl is a stretch as you have to go out of your way to battle all trainers, but it's there so thought to mention it; not that it really helps as both Vikavolt and Togedemaru use a Physical moveset. Though I guess Snarl could be handy against Acerola, SPEAKING of whom.

Trial: Thrifty Megamart (Abandoned Site)(Route 14)
Captain / Type: Acerola / Ghost
Totem: Mimikyu
TM: Shadow Ball (on Route 14)
Some people may be disappointed that the Ghost-type Specialist is once again giving out Shadow Ball. These people are wrong and you should not listen to them because any advice they give would be bad. For Special Attackers that can learn it, which is quite a few, Shadow Ball is a godsend, especially since you can get it before taking on the Trial! Just remember, don't Z-Move before breaking Mimikyu's disguise, speaking from experience...

Trial: Vast Poni Canyon
Type: Dragon
Totem: Kommo-o
TM: Dragon Claw (found during Trial) and a few others scattered around (some notable being Dazzling Gleam, Wild Charge, & Flamethrower)
Being the last area of the game before the League, of course its NOW they're just dumping many good TMs on you, including the ONLY Fairy TM in the game! Well, at least you can make immediate use of it if you have a Pokemon that can learn it, and if not Dragon Claw may be more up your Pokemon's ally. And though they won't be useful here, Physical Electric-types would begrudgingly appreciate Wild Charge and Special Fire-types graciously appreciate Flamethrower. Just remember, don't Z-Move on the first turn because Kommo-o starts the battle with Protect. Speaking. From. Experience.

USUM BONUS:
Trial:
Seafolk Village
Captain / Type: Mina / Fairy
Totem: Ribombee
TM: Flash Cannon
By the (awesome) Steelix Boat there's the Flash Cannon TM. Yeah, another stretch since it's also in SM, but eitherway if you got a Steel-type and/or Special Attacker that can learn it than give it Steelium Z and nuke the wannabe bee.

Brock - Headbutt:
The only Rock TMs in LGPE is Rock Slide and Stealth Rock, and considering the kind of players LGPE was aiming for those are kind of advanced options for the first Gym (though I don't think Stealth Rock would have been a bad choice, especially for repeated playthroughs). It may be boring, but in the beginning of the game Headbutt is a pretty nice, dependable move: decent Power, 100% Accuracy, 30% chance of Flinching, and only got to worried about Rock (& Steel which only really extends to Magnemite family).

Misty - Scald:
... WELL THEN! I guess they might as well have given Rock Slide to Brock. The only other Water TMs were, of course, Surf and Waterfall. BTW I think we're now fully away from "Gym Leaders made their own TMs" territory.

Lt. Surge - Thunderbolt:
Erika - Mega Drain (remember, it's Power was increased to 75 in LGPE):
Koga - Toxic:

Uh huh, all looking good.

Sabrina - Calm Mind:
Ah, so gave her the FRLG change. Perfectly sound choice if she's not allowed to give Psychic.

Blaine - Fire Blast:
Giovanni - Earthquake:

AND that's a wrap. Boy, after seeing Brock and Misty I thought they were all going to be given interesting choices. Surge with Thunder Punch, Erika with Solar Beam, Koga with Sludge Bomb, Sabrina with Teleport, Blaine with Will-O-Wisp, and Giovanni with Drill Run. :bloblul:

Now, being the Galar League is pretty commercialized, it makes sense for the Gym Leader's TMs to be known Moves. They're not there to be creative, they're there to compete. Making up your own move is nice and all, but all the tried-and-true Moves have likely been made so instead of trying to come up with something new they focus on building upon what works... AT LEAST until their rematches where most drop with TM move. Cause, as Nitro Indigo pointed out, all the strong Moves become TRs. Honestly, the Gym Leaders should have probably given out both an HM and a TR, cause them just giving you a TM which they themselves drop the next time you battle them feels like you're being given hand-me-downs; now get out there and grind up Watts to buy the REAL moves you want.

Milo - Magical Leaf:
You'd think the farmer would use something like Grassy Terrain, but as I said they're here to win battles and Milo's Gym Pokemon are Special Attackers plus he's the first Gym Leader so it does feel like they made Magical Leaf a TM just for him. All I'm saying they could have sweetened the first victory a bit with a Seed Bomb TR (though with our luck it probably would have been Grass Knot).

Nessa - Whirlpool:
You know, I wonder if the Gym Leaders chose the TMs or, to mimic the capitalist thinking of the real world, they were more forced to use these TMs which tested highly positive in some ambiguous testing group. Because it feels like Nessa wasn't having any of this. "WHIRLPOOL? What waterlogged people did you test? Cause their grade is in, and it's a capital F! You know what, fine, I'll put Whirlpool on my first two Pokemon, but am NOT putting it on my Drednaw! I gotta keep some of my reputation as a Water specialist". Hm, Surf and Waterfall would be TRs, so what are the Water TMs... Hey, you have Razor Shell and Brine on offer and you give Nessa WHIRLPOOL? Her Drednaw even uses Razor Shell! As for her TR... oh, why not, Scald! Cause apparently that's an approved early Water move.

Kabu - Will-O-Wisp:
Not bad, perfectly fine. And I would say fits with Kabu who is "The ever-burning man of fire!". The other TMs aren't that interesting or any more fitting of Kabu; as for TR, well if Lt. Surge can give Thunderbolt as the third Gym Leader, I don't see why Kabu can't give a Flamethrower (I heard the kids love this one).

Bea - Revenge / Allister - Hex:
Revenge? for Bea? Sure she has a scary stare but I don't see her as the vengeful type. I can only think the reason they chose Revenge over Brick Break or Low Sweep, two TMs which would fit her better, is they probably thought most of her Pokemon would be going second anyway, might as well give her Revenge as a surprise 120 Power Move (or in her Gigantamax Machamp's case... wait, just 80 Power? I guess they're really relying on Chi Strike's increased Critical Hit Ration to increase it to... 120 Power... really GF? Well, I guess it doesn't have to be hit first to reach those numbers). Though I will say for the player its a let down. Fighting TRs are either 80 or 120 with the sole exception being Bulk Up, Low Kick, and Reversal. Now Reversal would be appropriate for her, though being she's the midday boss I don't think Superpower would have been bad either.

On the flip side, Hex feels appropriate for Allister... problem is only his Gengar can increase it to 130 Power, you know, the Pokemon he Gigantamaxes for 3 turns. I'll grant you this GF, if you used it right, Hex would have been better than Shadow Claw or Phantom Force, the other two Ghost TMs... but you didn't so might as well have been Phantom Force. Eh, maybe they thought the player would appreciate it and use it better, just like how the player would have appreciated a Ghost TR like... well I was gonna do a joke where I mention Shadow Ball last, but apparently Shadow Ball in the ONLY Ghost TR. *Shrugs* Alright, back from the top... just like how the player would have appreciated a Ghost TR like Shadow Ball!

Opal - Draining Kiss:
Yeah, I'd imagine a kiss from Opal would be her draining you of your life essence *shivers*. Though, judging by Bede's Pokemon, I think he would opt out for giving Dazzling Gleam TRs. I guess for Special Fairy Types maybe Draining Kiss could help with a niche, but by now I think your Fairy Pokemon would have equal or better options. And, spoilers, doesn't improve much from here.

Gordie - Rock Tomb / Melony - Icy Wind:
I like the symmetry they both give out Moves which decrease the target's Speed, stone fruit not falling far from the icy tree. And while maybe I can see Melony using Icy Wind, Gordie I took to being someone who plans on hitting heavy. Rock Slide has somehow remained a TM so that is what Gordie would have gone for, following it up with a Stone Edge TR. Rock Tomb lands like a wet paper towel for a 6th Gym Leader.

Melony actually has quite a few Ice TMs to pick from, though I still think Icy Wind fits best, if not that than Hail. Only two Ice TRs, can you guess what they are? I could actually see Melony giving a Blizzard TR. Huh, a lot of her Pokemon has Icicle Crash, why wasn't that a TM or TR...

Piers - Snarl:
Fits him, but you know. Quite a few Dark TRs, think would be funny if he gave out a Throat Chop TR.

Raihan - Breaking Swipe:
Ugh, Breaking Swipe was Raihan's ONLY choice for a Dragon TM. Come now, GF, I think you could have made Dragon Claw a TM, it doesn't have a secondary effect afterall. Being Raihan is the last Gym Leader I say give out a treat and make his TR Outrage, I think it matches his personality while battling.

Katy - Pounce:
We're back to TMs being one use so the Gym Leaders are back to giving out strong TMs... unless you're Katy and the Chairwoman of the League told you that you had to suck because you just so happened to be the closest Gym to the Trainer Academy. Actually at first I was surprised because I thought Pounce was the 80 Power Bug-type Move that Buzzwole and Pheromosa learned that decreased Attack. But as it turns out I somehow got Pounce confused with Lunge, silly me. Pounce is a Bug-type version of Rock Tomb... okay, GF, I know I said "decreasing Speed was a handy secondary effect", but now you're making me regret those words with how insistent you are giving every Pokemon a weak move with that effect! And worst yet, Pollen Puff is a TM, and Katy is a dessert baker...

Brassius - Trailblazer:
And no, GF, flipping things so that the Move increases the user's Speed doesn't change the matter! A Grass-type Move which increases the user's Speed, never really saw Grass-types as the "speedy" Type, though not a lot of Grass-types learn it, feels more like a Grass coverage move for other Pokemon. Alright, I can admit that's pretty "avant-garde", so I can see it being something Brassius would like.

Iono - Volt Switch:
... Volt Switch? *Checks her Pokemon* ... NONE of her Pokemon has Volt Switch! Most have Spark which isn't a TM... BUT her Mismagius does have Charge Beam which is a TM. Was an earlier version of her team supposed to a Volt Switching team? Is there a pun or joke I'm missing? Well, since you get it relatively early I guess it could be a handy pivoting move, at least for a little while.

Kofu - Chilling Water:
Ugh, we went back to 50 Power? Why? Because this move decreases Attack? So does Lunge, and it's 80 Power! Even Breaking Swipe stayed at 60. Hm, Chilling Water, the opposite of hot water. I know! Chilling Water was originally a Freezing version of Scald! But that was too powerful so they lowered its Power. But it was still too powerful so they dropped the Freezing and gave it a Attack drop. But now it was too weak, and instead of returning its Power to 80, they chose to make the Attack drop guaranteed. Its as if they shouldn't have bothered and kept Scald as a TM.

Larry - Facade:
Facade can be a powerful Move with Toxic Orb (or Flame Orb if they have a Ability which cancels out Burn's Attack drop), but that's a pretty niche strategy, one they didn't even bother trying to show off. Look, like most people on the internet, Larry has become one of my new favorite Pokemon characters, and I see the joke with giving him Facade (or "Bravado" in Japanese). But if you're not going to have him even give his Staraptor a Toxic Orb, it just feels like you're wasting our time, and that's something Larry doesn't like doing. Heck, how about this for the ultimate irony: Have him use Tera Blast! The joke being that Tera Blast by default is a Normal-type Move, so there's really no reason for a Normal Tera-Type Pokemon to use Tera Blast! And players could always use more Tera Blast TMs, at least in theory, I think they intended on us doing lots of Raids and catching lots of Pokemon with unique Tera Types (why else make changing Tera Types such a chore to do?).

Ryme - Shadow Ball:
'Nuff said. Word.

Tulip - Psychic:
WITCH CRAFT! WITCH CRAFT! A Psychic-type Gym Leader actually giving the move Psychic? What new spore of madness is this!? BURN HER! TEAR DOWN HER GYM! Replace it with one that Levels makes sense to be right next to KATY'S.
... Joking aside, Psychic, pretty nice.

Grusha - Ice Spinner:
With them changing Hail to Snow I would have thought they'd give the new Snowscape TM to the latest Ice-type Gym Leader, but a snowboarder giving out an attack where the user spins around and shreds away the terrain, yeah, that sounds like a thing a snowboarder would do. I'm not sure how prevalent Terrain has become in the past few years to know how good this is (GF must at least think it's prevalent enough to have made a few Terrain clearing Moves while Weather still has none!).

Last edited:
I am virtually unable to shut up about X and Y, which I think are aggressively underrated, but the main rival's team annoys me for several reasons.

• Despite picking up multiple other options (a Kanto starter and a fossil), the team stays at just the opposite starter, Meowstic and Absol for the first three encounters.
  • The Fletchling that the main rival had for the catching tutorial and random fight against the other two random rivals gets dumped for absolutely no reason.
  • I'll cut a tiny bit of slack on adding an Eeveelution because it's the first time that a pattern that I personally think is lazy (here's an Eeveelution for the rival ain't it grand) happens. I do, however, find it completely bizarre it gets added in Anistar City, long after Eevee is found on Route 10.
  • I find it really annoying that in a game with a lot of representation from previous gens, both Absol and Altaria are from gen 3. I think Altaria annoys me more because it's such a last minute inclusion and it gets repeated at the Elite Four anyways. This is also me being biased because I don't like gen 3 but whatever.
  • This one goes back to the, frankly, bizarre decision to make Mega Evolution a "secret," but if they're just gonna Mega Evolve in the postgame allow them to Mega Evolve in that last fight on Victory Road.
  • This last one's petty, but whatever. Of the 3 starter types (so Fighting, Psychic and Dark) only Fighting gets left off. There's always a Dark type, and there's always a Psychic type; the only way the rival gets Fighting is if you pick Froakie.
Anyways I'm done byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)