Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Why do we need a new physical Fairy-Type move? Shadow Bone was necessary for Marowak-Alola because Ghost-Type only had weak physical moves before this, and so Shadow Bone filled a gameplay vacuum that would have been detrimental to the sweet new toy that was Marowak-Alola. Play Rough does just fine for Rapidash-Galar: 90 BP with 90% accuracy and a good secondary effect has been fine for every other physical Fairy-Type so far, and sees use as a coverage move even.

As much as I would love to see a Fire/Fairy Pokémon, Ponyta-Galar just doesn't look like a Fire-Type. My money is also on pure Fairy-Type, but I don't think it'll receive a pegasus evolution. Pegasi are comfortably Greek whereas unicorns are Scottish, even being the national animal of Scotland, so it'd be odd to see it evolve from a unicorn into something else in the region based on Britain. Not every regional variant has to be some really cool top-tier threat with a unique type combination: let's all just take the beautiful chibi rainbow unicorn and congratulate Game Freak on their plushy sales.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Hey! I think I'll just talk with you all for a bit about Galgar related things.

So about Galgarian Ponyta... It seems NOTHING like a fire Mon. I mean with a portion of the alolan variants, they had their typing changed completely. Alolan Vulpix had the ice/fairy type, and Alolan Marowak had a Fire/Ghost type. Neither of those had the typing that the normal variant had. So it is very much so possible that Galgarian Ponyta may not have the fire type and be pure fairy. As to if that is certain or not, we do not know. But what we do know is that it is very much so possible that there will be no fire typing for it.

Last edited:

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Play Rough is fine, the real problem is in-game. What Fairy coverage will Ponyta have? 40 BP Disarming Voice off of base 65 SPA until level 40? That will be as bad as non-Totem Marowak.
I mean, there is draining kiss... Not the best of moves but certainly better than Disarming voice

Why do we need a new physical Fairy-Type move? Shadow Bone was necessary for Marowak-Alola because Ghost-Type only had weak physical moves before this, and so Shadow Bone filled a gameplay vacuum that would have been detrimental to the sweet new toy that was Marowak-Alola. Play Rough does just fine for Rapidash-Galar: 90 BP with 90% accuracy and a good secondary effect has been fine for every other physical Fairy-Type so far, and sees use as a coverage move even.
It's necessary because it's precisely the only physical Fairy-type move. In-game, that means Fairy-types can't get physical STAB until fairly late in-game.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
It's necessary because it's precisely the only physical Fairy-type move. In-game, that means Fairy-types can't get physical STAB until fairly late in-game.
I mean, there is a lot of Pokemon with bad stab options for until the level 40s and at times even 50s so I won't be surprised if it's stab options are horrible... Besides, Game Freak already made a ton of things weak. And most casual players (which when it comes to in game, I am one) just use the mons they like. So even if it's horrible at fighting, people will still want to use it.

Celever

i am town
Play Rough is fine, the real problem is in-game. What Fairy coverage will Ponyta have? 40 BP Disarming Voice off of base 65 SPA until level 40? That will be as bad as non-Totem Marowak.
These are valid points but are unrelated to Ponyta-Galar. This is true for Pokémon like Swirlix and Marill/Azumarill as well, and it's been considered fine so far.

I agree that there probably should be a new physical Fairy-Type attack, but I don't think it's as necessary or as much of a given as people are saying now that we have Ponyta-Galar. The number of new moves being introduced has been decreasing as the generations go by, generally only being introduced if there's a perceived important niche to be filled. But then again, we got Brutal Swing in the last generation which acted predominantly to give in-game Dark-Type coverage at earlier levels, so the same could happen with Fairy-Type this time around. More than anything, the issue could be that it's difficult to think of physical Fairy-Type moves that make sense. I mean, Play Rough doesn't even make sense -- how is playing rough associated with fae lore? A fairy possibly would play rough, but so does every dog.

Hey! I think I'll just talk with you all for a bit about Galgar related things.

So about Galgarian Ponyta... It seems NOTHING like a fire Mon. I mean with most of the alolan variants, they had their typing changed completely. Alolan Vulpix had the ice/fairy type, and Alolan Marowak had a Fire/Ghost type. Neither of those had the typing that the normal variant had. So it is very much so possible that Galgarian Ponyta may not have the fire type and be pure fairy. As to if that is certain or not, we do not know. But what we do know is that it is very much so possible that there will be no fire typing for it.
We literally have Alolan Rattata who shares Normal with Kantonian Rattata and Alolan Diglett who shares Ground with Kantonian Diglett. And in the latter case, Diglett and Dugtrio don’t quite look like Steel-types.

So, it’s not out of the realm of possibilities for Galarian Ponyta to be Fire/Fairy. If all, the fact that it can glow could point toward fire, as it could flow by burning some chemicals inside its body or something.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wants to keep the team small because communicating is challenging on a development team. An example given was explaining the concept of Dynamax to a team of 30 people would be messy, complicated, and disastrous (though not sure if that was something Masuda said or the GI guys thinking up something on the quick).
"The Pokemon become huge for three turns, giving them a boost to their HP, and also turning their attacks into Max Moves, which are like Z moves but weaker and with secondary effects." It's not really THAT complicated.
That quote also confused me which is why I wondered if it wasn't just something the GI came up with as a quick example. But if it was an actual example Masuda give, geez. You put it simply, it's not that hard of a concept to get. You're not making a Hideo Kojima game, you're making Pokemon.

Infact a lot of these quotes make it seem like Masuda thinks he's the pillar of GF and without him they would collapse in onto themselves. Was he always like this?

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 11.54.22 PM.png

I find it mildly disturbing that impidimp only has one nostril.
It's a pink naked scrawny imp who ears looks like devil horns, tongue is always sticking out, and has wings attached to the back of its head but it's having one nostril that makes it a bit disturbing? Impidimp's entire design screams "don't leave me with children".

Meanwhile, Masuda has worked for Gamefreak as a composer since the original Red and Green, and has had some directorial role since Crystal with few exceptions (most of them being sequel titles or remakes). Maybe it’s time for him to take a cycle off, or at least stick just to composing?

I don’t want to sound harsh, but if his managerial style makes him a control freak that can only work with a small, trusted cabal then we all suffer for it, fans and company alike.

Who knows when in development GF decided to hire more people, and what could have been avoided or kept in the games if things were planned better? If SwSh was a 9 in terms of development difficulty, and turns out to be a lackluster game, how does that bode well for future titles?
Or maybe Masuda should just split off or work within the Gear Project with a small team to make those games he wants to make. The only person keeping Masuda from making that R-Type-like game is Masuda himself, he supposedly passed the reigns to Ohmori and is acting as "assisting director" though I have a feeling he has way more of his hands in the cookie jar then that job title entails.

If SwSh comes out as a mediocre game could be the final nail to make the rest of GF, Pokemon Company, & Nintendo to have a big ol' meeting to figure out why a low scoring game was a 9 in difficulty. And if that happened and they do a serious look at all factors, Masuda won't be sitting pretty as a lot of the fault will keep pointing back at him.

Probably about as experinced as you in game design, but I disagree with the Ohmori statement.

While it is possible that some techniques are gained from Masuda, I think Ohmori is absolutely thier own person and they are likely to have thier own methods to game development. Ohmori may actually like bigger teams who knows. Just because Masuda is a way doesn't mean that he is too.
Considering Ohmori had a tough time understanding Masuda while he's in "composer mode", I agree that if/when Masuda finally steps away from trying to direct every single part of Pokemon that there's a good chance we may be seeing a different style of Pokemon games. May not be as obvious as James Turner taking over for Ken Sugimori, and a lot will obviously will take place in the background in the GF offices, but those have a way of seeping through into the game. From the interviews I take Ohmori as a quiet person (or could just be Masuda is such a loud person he kept overstepping Ohmori), so they're already opposites there.

I said a while back that Masuda likes having his hand in the cookie jar, but what I should have said is that he likes having his hands in ALL the cookie jars, maybe Masuda likes small teams because he wants to be involved in almost every aspect and a small group of people are easier to remember their names, roles, and personality.

Yeah, but Masuda at some point needs to take a complete back seat, that mind set is severely outdated for mainline franchises imo, especially for the biggest franchise in the world.
That's another thing I don't get, Masuda still sees GF as an INDIE group? He's a top manager of a big office building with 100+ employees (and they can hire more in a heartbeat) that are developing two high profile games (and who knows how many other games they're working on in the background) with merchandise of those games all around him. That's not indie. If you want indie maybe you should talk with Toby Fox about where he was and how many people helped him make Undertale.

Have Pokémon Centres in the games ever really been hospitals though? I get that it’s kinda weird to mix food/drink service and any kind of medical care, but it’s not like there’s any need for sterility, nor are there ever any actual in-patients to consider when you just have a magic, near-instantaneous, universal healing console.

Plus, associating pubs and inns with healing is a pretty common RPG trope, and it kinda makes sense that this central hub building would combine the two, since it’d act as a natural first stop for tired travellers and their tired Pokémon.
Pokemon Centers always felt like just a "rest spot". You've been on the road for a while when you come up to one, you go in, you sit down, and you just hang out. At least that's what I get from the random NPCs. Thinking about it Pokemon Centers are another missed opportunity in player interactiveness. Pokemon Centers should be THE hot spot for Pokemon Trainer activity. No two Pokemon Centers would probably be alike as they would either adjust to the local's preference or so many people would want to set up shop near/in one they'd each have differing additional services on the side. Also at least hourly the NPCs would change up as it's meant to be a quick rest spot to recharge and then get going. And the NPCs would be all sorts of difference characters with all sorts of stories, conversations, hints, tips, maybe even give an item or request help. And of course plenty of Trainers who would want to battle (I mean the magical healing machine is free, no reason not to have a battle and heal up right afterwards). Yet, all Pokemon Centers are the same, all offering the same additional side services, and the NPCs never change.

As for why it feels a bit strange for the Pokemon Center to be a pub while it's a classic RPG trope, well I think one reason is Pokemon is an RPG that takes place in a modern world. Yeah, in D&D and Pathfinder (and all the games based on them) the pub also serves as an inn because they usually takes place in a medieval setting where they're likely in a small town so don't have room for two different buildings (nor would the owners probably make enough coin from either business alone). But in a modern setting where large cities are the norm hotels and pubs are now usually consider two separate entities. A pub in modern times is a smaller venue where a lot of the space is chairs, tables & booths with TVs hanging off the walls set to news or sports. And when you're done drinking and eating bovid named poultry parts you are then expected to leave to head either home or the hotel you're staying at.

Plus, in D&D/Pathfinder/whatever you're playing as a character age 18+ while in Pokemon you're playing a kid/young teenager.

They will sell ALL the merchandise! (You think they'll sell it with a detachable tail or they'll make two different plush... they're going to make two different plushes)

Though seriously, it was cute seeing the two Galarian Ponyta play with each other (for all of 5 seconds... after 24 hours of mostly nothing and VERY sparse teases...).

20 people to design a Pokémon game from scratch.
To be fair he just says he thinks 20 is an ideal team size but never said 20 was an ideal size for Pokemon. Taking a guess, but when Masuda thought that he was probably thinking if he was making his own game he would get a team of about 20. When making SwSh he said they realized they needed a lot more employees then they had now so he knows Pokemon is a different beast to develop for. Another though not likely possibility could be he was thinking a team of 20 "team leaders" who would then have their own team work on their part of the game though Masuda only would talk with the team leaders if he needed something done.

Hope they give Galarian Rapidash an evolution as well. Hey, it was good enough for Galarian Linoone.
I think Galarian Ponyta could take the Zigzagoon route and become a three-stages line. It could end up becoming Ponyta -> Rapidash -> ???, for all we know.
I was wondering if they would give it an evolution but I think them giving Galarian Ponyta a horn was so they could justify giving Galarian Rapidash wings. Ponyta was a normal pony (well, a normal pony ON FIRE) but then evolved into a unicorn. Now that Galarian Ponyta starts as a unicorn they can make Galarian Rapidash even more special by making it an Alicorn.

OR, maybe what we saw was a new Pokemon of sorts: a new MIDDLE evolution! Galarian Ponyta looks roughly the same as normal Ponyta but smaller, then it evolves into this new middle evo (Coltilly) where it develops into a unicorn earlier (and have the BST of normal Rapidash or maybe a bit below it), and then finally Galarian Rapidash which is now an alicorn and higher BST than normal Rapidash thanks to having a middle evolution.

I'd also add that while Shiinotic looks somewhat spooky as well it's still a Grass/Fairy type, so the idea of a Fire/Fairy type might not be farfetch'd!
Fire/Fairy would be cool, but I doubt it's happening. The mane doesn't always glow and it looks pretty "solid", which makes me think it's just colorful fluff instead of fire or fiery stuff. If it's Pure Fairy and they make Galarian Rapidash or a Rapidash Evolution into a Pegasus, then there's no second type to be swapped with Flying.
We've had a few Fire-types which don't look like Fire-types if you didn't already know they were:

(and these are just ones with sprites as I don't want to post stock art but here's a few others by name: Fennekin, Fletchinder, Talonflame, Littenm Litleo, Volcanion, Salandit, Salazzle)

Also Galarian Rapidash doesn't need the Flying-type if it becomes an alicorn. We have a few Fairy-types that can fly/float with or without wings: Clefairy family, Flabebe family, Spritzee, Comfey, Mega Altaria, Cottonee family, Cutiefly family, & the Tapus. They could also say it uses its wings to help it run faster and jump higher (maybe even glide) instead of outright flying.

While wveryone else is focused on the typing, im worried about its role in stats. Rapidash stats have been begging for an update for eons, and as a physical attacker there is only 1 standard fairy physical attack in existence, and for ghosts their best option after all these years is Shadow Claw. Even if it swapped physical and special stats, it woukd still have its best attacking stat at an unimpressive 100 with a speed stat of a pitiful 105. It absolutely reeks of being power creeped but outside of an evolution i dont know how to fix it.
Yeah, both (normal & Galarian) I feel need to have their stats redone (among many other Pokemon). For a start maybe +30 BST and put 10 into Attack & 20 into Speed. They can't change normal Rapidash beyond that but for Galarian Rapidash I then say switch its HP with its Special Attack. I can totally see Ponyta family getting Play Rough (which Japanese name is "Frolic") so it has that but you're right it's limited on Physical Ghost-type moves (best I can see it getting is Phantom Force which is a Fly/Dive/Dig expy). If it does become Ghost-type it'll probably need to take the Alolan Marowak route and get a Ghost-type Signature move. Or they can switch its Attack and Special Attack (after switching its HP and Special Attack).

Where are people getting Ghost from? Fairy I can see, but not that.
The glowing manes does bring to mind the will-o-wisp. Plus one Pokemon shown was Phantump so I imagine people are taking that as a "clue" though I'm writing that off as them showing the "theme" of the location being heavy on Fairy-, Ghost-, and woodsy Pokemon.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
We literally have Alolan Rattata who shares Normal with Kantonian Rattata and Alolan Diglett who shares Ground with Kantonian Diglett. And in the latter case, Diglett and Dugtrio don’t quite look like Steel-types.

So, it’s not out of the realm of possibilities for Galarian Ponyta to be Fire/Fairy. If all, the fact that it can glow could point toward fire, as it could flow by burning some chemicals inside its body or something.
I didn't say it WOULD be pure fairy, I said there's a possibility. You have good points though

I'm still betting on Fire/Fairy solely on Ponyta and Rapidash's Pokedex classification as the Fire Horse Pokemon, although I'm unsure what the Japanese counterpart of that classification is. It'd be weird for it to be non-Fire type and still be called "The Fire Horse Pokemon".

These are valid points but are unrelated to Ponyta-Galar. This is true for Pokémon like Swirlix and Marill/Azumarill as well, and it's been considered fine so far.

I agree that there probably should be a new physical Fairy-Type attack, but I don't think it's as necessary or as much of a given as people are saying now that we have Ponyta-Galar. The number of new moves being introduced has been decreasing as the generations go by, generally only being introduced if there's a perceived important niche to be filled. But then again, we got Brutal Swing in the last generation which acted predominantly to give in-game Dark-Type coverage at earlier levels, so the same could happen with Fairy-Type this time around. More than anything, the issue could be that it's difficult to think of physical Fairy-Type moves that make sense. I mean, Play Rough doesn't even make sense -- how is playing rough associated with fae lore? A fairy possibly would play rough, but so does every dog.
Azumarill learns it at lv. 23. It's safe to assume that it's a problem when you give that kind of stab that early to Azumarill of all things.

Fairy-types need more physical moves for in-game purposes.

While we're at it, Dark types could use better distribution on Snarl.

Alolan Persian was a bit shafted by that. I hate using moves that don't run off the mon's better offensive stat. Shoutouts to Plat Luxray.

Celever

i am town
This is an issue with English translation more than anything, as the Japanese name for Play Rough is "Frolic", which sounds more Fairy-like imo.
I don't think so honestly. Of the 30 Pokémon that learn Play Rough by level-up, just over a third are actually Fairy-Type. Most are small mammals like dogs and cats, and then when you get into egg moves you get other cute mammals like Teddiursa, Cubchoo, Phanpy and Komala. And it makes more sense for all of these Pokémon to learn a move called Frolic than it does for Mawile, Wigglytuff and Mimikyu, who only have the move for gameplay purposes.

It's an interesting predicament for the series in general because there is little viable design lore to make physical Fairy-Type attacks from. Part of fairies' whole thing is they attack from the shadows and never interact with humans, so we don't have much material in folklore to base fairy combat off of. If Game Freak does decide to introduce another Fairy-Type move, I wouldn't be surprised if it's called "Fae Tackle".

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
I don't think so honestly. Of the 30 Pokémon that learn Play Rough by level-up, just over a third are actually Fairy-Type. Most are small mammals like dogs and cats, and then when you get into egg moves you get other cute mammals like Teddiursa, Cubchoo, Phanpy and Komala. And it makes more sense for all of these Pokémon to learn a move called Frolic than it does for Mawile, Wigglytuff and Mimikyu, who only have the move for gameplay purposes.

It's an interesting predicament for the series in general because there is little viable design lore to make physical Fairy-Type attacks from. Part of fairies' whole thing is they attack from the shadows and never interact with humans, so we don't have much material in folklore to base fairy combat off of. If Game Freak does decide to introduce another Fairy-Type move, I wouldn't be surprised if it's called "Fae Tackle".
I mean, there is already a lot of moves that Pokemon learn that is even more illogical than that... Wooper can know focus punch... Dodrio can learn fly... Yeah stuff like that. It's even MORE illogical than that.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Before I continue with responses, let me give my quick thoughts on the Live Camera Stream. Conveniently enough, fellow Smogon members gave the same opinion I had:

Stream is an interesting idea, but it could've been pulled off better with a few more reveals. There was definitely some highlights like Impidimp trolling the audience by obscuring Ponyta and I hope TPC sees what people liked and disliked about this stream and try an improved version sometime in the future
I think it would have been better if there were more extended scenes of a Pokémon staying on-screen. Perhaps some of the Morelull stick around for a while, or a Phantump lays down beside the bush to sleep for a few hours. Some slightly more dynamic scene changes like that would have done wonders.

As-is though, I still liked the concept of the stream.
The stream was an awesome idea with a not so great execution. I wish I could see some Pokémon fighting for a Berry, or something like that, but I did ask for Pokémon courting, and that's what we saw as well, so I'm kinda happy.
Like the idea, poor execution. This stream was just a 24 hour teaser for one "new" Pokemon, "new" in quotes because its a Galarian Form. 99% of it was nothing followed by .9% of nothing interesting (remaining .1% was anything to do with Galarian Ponyta, yes including the Impidimp trolling).

Now I'm not asking for something to happen every few minutes or a new Pokemon showed every hour, but I would like for at least 2 or more new Pokemon (or 2 we clearly say and maybe tease one or two others by only showing parts of them). Also I was maybe expecting like seeing somethings appear in the background like (a) new character(s) or maybe have Zacian/Zamazenta silhouette appear for a second in the mist.

Also, are their only Galarian Ponyta (and maybe Rapidash?), Impidimp, Pikachu, Morelull, Shiinotic, Swirlix, and Phantump in the Glimwood Tangle? If we go there in the game and I don't only see other Pokemon but some of them are new I'm going to be annoyed. Well I mention all these Pokemon but the only ones who did anything were Galarian Ponyta, Pikahcu, Morelull & Impidimp. Many of them were just floating or walking by in the background. Would like to see a bit more "skits", maybe more of the Pokemon interacting with the camera and maybe knocking it over or moving it (they can say the camera has a Rotom in it that'll move it back into place if this happens).

Also, are the Glimwoods this boring? Like I was expecting to see environmental changes like a pinkish fog rolls in or at night the glowing mushrooms begin blinking in a strange pattern etc.. But no, it just remained the same and not even the Pokemon caused any changes aside the occasionally bumping into a mushroom to make it glow. And the music was DULL. Like they might as well just kept it to environmental sounds because at least then you can say they were trying to be realistic. But they did add music and it was very dull, I was hoping maybe as things happened the music would change in some way but nope.

Finally I was a bit disappointed it just started and then suddenly ended. Would have been neat if we saw Sonia both set up the camera and then came back 24 hours to take it down. "But we wouldn't have heard the Rapidash then". 1) Did you really need to hear Rapidash to know that if Ponyta is in the game then so is Rapidash? 2) they could have is that, after frolicking for a bit, the Ponyta run back and knock down the camera causing it to go black for a bit and that's when we hear the Rapidash before Rotom fixes things or Sonia collects the equipment.

I'm debating whether I would like to see something like this done again. Obviously what I would like to see them do with something like this is completely different from what they want to do and if that's the case, I applaud the effort, but try doing something that doesn't waste people's time. Like maybe instead of a livestream say its a motion/audio capture camera and someplace on the main site have small videos start being downloaded. Players would be encouraged to frequently check the site to see whether an interesting video has been uploaded.

Ghost-types That Aren't Ghostly Explanations:
Sableye:
Honestly got me. I guess it's a shadow creature and shadows are related to the Ghost-type. There might also be a reference to how some cultures will leave money or valuables with the recently dead in order to pay a ferryman or gatekeeper to let them into the afterlife.
Drifloon & Drifblim: I think the idea is, at least for Drifloon, it's a soul of a popped balloon that got loose and floated away. As for Drifblim, well I guess the most obvious evolution for a balloon would be a hot air balloon. They also gave them the "spirit carriers/guide" motif.
Giratina: Ignoring all the possible religious symbolism, it's probably Ghost-type to show it lives in the opposite world of the Pokemon World, the Distortion World, and also represents anti-matter.
Frillish & Jellicent: It's mostly its appearance. Jellyfish look like a disembodied spirit the way they float through the water and are dressed like Victorian royals/nobles which are popular ghost visages (probably mainly due to Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol").
Hoopa: Genies/Djinn/Jinn share similar traits with ghosts so could be argued being spiritual creatures. It's also a lesser form of its true form that was sealed away, so it's incomplete/missing a part of itself/split apart.
Decidueye: Will have to use the "shadow" excuse. It's preferred style is sniping so has become one with the shadows to better sneak around.
Oricorio (Sensu Style): Based on an old style of Japanese dancing which sometimes uses "sensu" (folding fans), I'm guessing since it's old (dating back to the Edo period (1600s-1860s) and the most well known use of it is Kabuki theater (which often include yokai and other legends) and Geisha performances (many being ceremonial) it has association with the spiritual.
Alolan Marowak: Mostly context. The bone club is infused with the regrets of its mother that gives it paranormal protection. It also began to fire dance to mourn its mother and doing so allowed it to burn the spiritual energy and use it to attack.
Lunala: It's a bit confusing as night has been associated with the Dark-type and the moon with the Fairy-type. I can only assume, while Fairy-types gain power from the moon, Lunala actively having control over its phases and how much light it gives off (notably saying completely blocking the light bringing a deep dark night) is more ghostly than fairy (and Dark-types are usually dirty fighter who sometimes can manipulate darkness but not actively call it).
Marshadow: Don't know why there's anything confusing about being a Ghost-type, it's based on the Hawaiian's Nightmarchers.
Blacephalon: Once again, got me. Maybe since it explodes its head & bends its body in unnatural ways but doesn't effect it means its spirit isn't completely connected to its body. Also may have to do with it emitting strange lights (will-o-wisps).

I would certainly expect this to be changed a la Shadow Bone for Alolan Marowak if we get Fairy Ponyta.
Maybe, but at the same time a Fairy-type Ponyta shouldn't have difficulty getting Play Rough (Play Rough's Japanese name is "Frolic" and the most memorable moment on camera livestream was both Galarian Ponyta frolicking with one another before running off). They could also just give it and Galarian Rapdish the ability Pixilate (and it has Fury Attack, Quick Attack, Stomp, Return, Giga Impact, Double-Edge, Horn Drill, & Thrash).

I mean with most of the alolan variants, they had their typing changed completely.
Eh, under half. Of the 18 Alolan variants:

7 gained an additional Type: Rattata, Raticate, Raichu, Diglett, Dugtrio, Grimer, & Muk
4 was a dual-type that changed one of its Type: Geodude, Graveler, Golem, & Exeggutor
7 completely changed Type: Sandshrew, Sandslash, Vulpix, Ninetales, Meowth, Persian, Marowak

It's an interesting predicament for the series in general because there is little viable design lore to make physical Fairy-Type attacks from.
Hmm, not really. Just think about things a fairy/fae does and either create a new move around it or take an existing move and just give it a new game. (WARNING! I'M ABOUT TO DIP INTO MY POKEMON IDEAS NOTEPADS) For example:

Fairy-type Physical Moves I "Thought" Up:
Peekaboo
(Fake Out copy - Fairies are pranksters so of course they would jump scare you but do so in a playful way)
Klepto (Thief copy - Fairies love to steal stuff)
Fool Around (Feint Attack copy - bit of a pun, once again goes with the idea of Fairies liking to pull pranks but this time are doing so to get around your Pokemon's defenses)
Rendezvous (Quick Attack copy - okay, I'll admit this one is because I wanted to use the word "rendezvous" as a Quick Attack copy. Felt it fit the Fairy-type the best as it sounds like a playful word, going along with other Fairy moves like the official Play Rough or the ones I made up like Peekaboo and Kelpto)
Skedaddle (U-turn copy - Fairies can quickly switch between our realm and their realm so they should have no problem hitting and running)
Eye Poke (Physical Mud-Slap copy - a classic prankster trick)
Heal Slap (Pollen Puff expy. Physical - since Fairies aren't from our realm contact with them is said to do strange things, both harmful or helpful and usually of the Fairies doing. Slapping someone sounds like a Fairy thing to do so I imagine it in two ways: either it just attacks an opponent by slapping them or it gives an ally a slap in the back which heals them)
Play Fight (Dragon Rush copy - we have "Play Rough" where the idea is the Pokemon is rough housing (honestly I don't know why the Japanese name is Frolic as the animation and move description doesn't match the idea of frolicking), so why not a similar move where the Pokemon is actually fighting for the fun of it)

Also I think there's some moves we can change into Fairy-type: for attacking moves I think Dizzy Punch could be made Fairy-type.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Actually, Sableye is a Pokémon based on the Hopkinsville Goblin, a popular urban legend where people claim to have seen small goblin-like creatures with claws and shiny eyes.
As this was never proven (nor disproven), it makes sense for Sableye to get a spooky Ghost typing.

As for Blacephalon, it's supposed to look like a clown, and coulrophobia is ranked pretty high in the "Most Popular Fears" list.

Honestly, at this point every type* should have 100 accuracy Physical and Special moves with 50-70 BP and 90-120 BP. Not signature moves either, ones with enough distribution that basically any mon of that type can have a reliable STAB option for midgame and endgame. Mons that lack or have lots of coverage are fine, but the lack of basic attacking options is just annoying.

*except for Fighting and Psychic

Ghost-types That Aren't Ghostly Explanations:
Sableye:
Honestly got me. I guess it's a shadow creature and shadows are related to the Ghost-type. There might also be a reference to how some cultures will leave money or valuables with the recently dead in order to pay a ferryman or gatekeeper to let them into the afterlife.
Apparently people think it's based on the Hopkinsville Goblin which kinda makes sense... But doesn't explain the Ghost/Dark typing.

It's a pink naked scrawny imp who ears looks like devil horns, tongue is always sticking out, and has wings attached to the back of its head but it's having one nostril that makes it a bit disturbing? Impidimp's entire design screams "don't leave me with children".
:mehowth: Guess I've seen it enough to accustomed to the creepiness of the rest of the design, but the one nostril is a new feature so it stood out? Seems about as creepy as Gollum, which we're also all used to by now, but even Gollum had two nostrils! (Also for the record, Impidimp also only has one wing on the back of its head!) :P

We've had a few Fire-types which don't look like Fire-types if you didn't already know they were:

(and these are just ones with sprites as I don't want to post stock art but here's a few others by name: Fennekin, Fletchinder, Talonflame, Littenm Litleo, Volcanion, Salandit, Salazzle)
I feel like if we had to guess typings for these based just on artwork, though, most of us would still guess fire for a lot of these based on color scheme?

==========

Back to the Game Informer news, I was thinking about how in the Rapid-Fire Q&A Ohmori said that Dynamax is just a projection (but was for some reason unsure of where the Pokemon actually is). If that were true, what does that mean for the mons with Gigantamax forms? How would they explain lore-wise that only certain individuals of a species are able to Gigantamax and changes abilities? It makes me wonder if the story is going to explain Dynamax as a projection when introducing the concept, only to reveal later near the climax that's it is actually the power of some legendary making the Pokemon bigger, and that some Pokemon gain different forms using this energy. :smogthink:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)