Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I'm gonna be real, gigantimax charizard is leagues more interesting to me than mega charizard Y. Really nails the monster look
Straight up, the design has really, REALLY grown on me. I saw a comment while lurking on Reddit that summed it up: It looks like the badass beast worthy of being a champion's ace. I'm not ashamed to admit it's my fav Gigantamax form shown thus far, though Butterfree and Alcremie are extremely close seconds

This stuff is just embarrassing.

Why don't they understand that the games would be and ultimately do better if they abandoned all the gimmicky garbage and focused their time and resources on making the world more in-depth and credible? Nobody cares, I know, but it should be put out there at least.
I bet you meme cat meowth chonky chu and fire god mode charizard will catch a lot more buzz than say, 2 minutes of the orgin of dynamaxing. Especially since the story aspects and lore should be saved for when you actually play the game.

I bet you meme cat meowth chonky chu and fire god mode charizard will catch a lot more buzz than say, 2 minutes of the orgin of dynamaxing. Especially since the story aspects and lore should be saved for when you actually play the game.
Yes, I'm talking about what's in the game. Time and resources making the game, not time and resources in the marketing of the game.

Well in that case im even more confused; marketting for this game has been super tight lipped and obviously the game isnt out yet so...whats the gripe here? We cant judge the lack of content on a game nobody has yet :psyduck:
We know the absurd big Pokemon gimmick is in the game. We know that their priority since Gen 6 has been dumb shark-jumping gimmicks over all else, and so on.

This stuff is just embarrassing.

Why don't they understand that the games would be and ultimately do better if they abandoned all the gimmicky garbage and focused their time and resources on making the world more in-depth and credible? Nobody cares, I know, but it should be put out there at least.
I agree here with more depth in world building. Also agree with scraping dynamax (assuming that's what you meant by gimmicky garbage) but the trade off being more regional variants and or a more appealing mechanic in dare I say the long ago rumored armored forms? That would get me hyped and it would have more of a connection to the galar region because of pride in man made technology characteristic of galarians. This would also give reason to connect to the Kalos region which was said to be at war. The two sides used their respective tech to battle each other.

To me that's depth. Dunno how to speak on things being more credible. Guess we'll wait for the story!

We know the absurd big Pokemon gimmick is in the game. We know that their priority since Gen 6 has been dumb shark-jumping gimmicks over all else, and so on.
...Sorry but I'm squinting really hard on that one, especially since these so called gimmicks are tied directly to the lore of each generation, and even then that typically isnt the end all be all. Megas had nothing to do with Lysandres plot, nor did z crystals have anything to do with Ultra Space or Necrozma, both of which were big parts of the story and filled with lore along the way.

Ugh. I mean, we knew Pikachu was coming. And apparently, Eevee-missing-the-point-of-Eevee is a recurring thing now, even though I hate it.

But Meowth? Butterfree? Yet Another Charizard? I really had hope with the reveal of Zigzagoon that they were finally over the G1 fixation and were going to try to expand on and improve some of the other gens. I guess not, we’re just getting a supply of increasingly ridiculous rehashes of the same 151 mons forever.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Shame they didn't go for the idea of re-using Megas, but there was no reason to expect it and it's a minor thing at the end of the day. Especially if Gigantamax is supposed to be its own thing with its own identity. Hoping to see Gigantamaxes from a few more gens, though; that's the only disappointing thing here.
GF specifically said Dynamax is just a Galar thing, so them not merging the Mega Pokemon designs into it is setting up a precedence I was hoping they would avoid. Don't get attached to any Gigantamax forms, because now that they've shown they're perfecting willing to discard designs and replace them with another these "equalizer" gimmicks (Mega Evolutions, Z-Moves, and not Dynamax/Gigantamax) have officially joined the list of mechanics that GF makes and then throws away for next gen. We'll have to wait until their region remakes or they feel like it'll earn them brownie points to see any of these mechanics again... and to be discarded again... not to mention they'll also keep on introducing more and more "equalizer" gimmicks each gen instead of working on one all-inclusive one they can carry to each generation and just add upon it...

The Affleck leak claimed both gigantamax long meowth as well as a regional evolution of meowth (among all the other things), so unless it's a random fake thing the leaker threw in, looks like we'll have an exeggutor situation going on.
So Meowth was given an Alolan form... and now its own Gigantamax form... but it's also getting an evolution...

GF MAKE UP YOUR F***KING MIND!
(GF be like :mehowth:)

I don't know what you're talking about. Gigazard looks badass as all hell. Especially the mouth. I love that it's glowing, and that its teeth are huge and jagged.
Yeah, I agree it looks pretty cool... but considering they're tossing out two perfectly good "super" Charizard Designs and all they could come up with for Gigantamax Charizard is "big Charizard on fire" the cool factor escapes me.

On the other hand, I hate how GF is obsessed with making not-fully-evolved Pokemon viable, especially when one of them is Pikachu! How much resources did they waste on giving him two Z-crystals which nobody ever uses as it is 100% outclassed by the light ball? The only sucessful pre-evo mechanic that worked was Eevee's extreme evoboost (thanks for reminding me GF that it is unavaliable), and unless they start adding 100 BST to each stat during the Giga I can hardly see where something like Meowth could ever be useful. It feels like a waste of resources, espeically when Megas and Z-moves are gone and we don't know how long this new mechanic is going to stick around.
Now due to what we now know I understand why they made a Gigantamax form for Pikachu & Eevee. But Meowth I don't understand at all. Even if they gave the special event Meowth a stat boost similar to Partner Pikachu & Eevee I also still can't see anyone using Gigantamax Meowth outside of the novelty. Infact the secondary effect of its G-Max move only has use IN-GAME. It was essentially made to be the "release event" Pokemon, instead of giving us something we could potentially use on our team and maybe even competitive if we so wished, instead they're giving us a Meowth who can't evolve with a Gigantamax form which only use is to farm scraps of money maybe a bit more faster than using Pay Day (and watch there being an easier way to make money than doing that making it further pointless). For Mega Evolutions we were given Mega Blaziken and Z-Crystals we were given a Snorlax and its Pulverizing Pancake, for ORAS we got a Shiny Beldum and USUM got Dusk Lycanroc. And now, to celebrate Pokemon's debut on a main Nintendo console and try to sell us on Dynamax (and losing Megas and Z-Moves) we're given longcat. My how we have fallen.

There are so many weak and useless Pokemon out there, I just wish they could give them a new opputunity instead of focusing on super weak unevolved Pokemon and the same handful of poster childs.
Man if Pokemon were actual people I would imagine after this stunt they'd be a massive walkout. Imagine, you're a Pokemon that's considered mediocre but just a new Regional Variant or Gigantamax form could give you the shot you've always hoped for. And when you see the Zigzagoon family get a surprise buff you get a slight hope that you or at the very least another Gen 2 & beyond mediocre Pokemon could finally have their chance!

... And then they introduced 5 Gigantamax evolutions, all Gen 1 Pokemon, 3 of them being the overexposed popular ones and another is randomly Meowth.

Most Pokemon from Gen 2 through 7 would probably hand in their pink slip and put in an application for Digimon, Yokai! Watch, Dragon Quest, and Monster Hunter. Even if they become a mook at the very least they wouldn't be getting their chain yanked every game by seeing the same ol' Pokemon getting put on higher and higher pedestals.

So yeah, the "smoking gun" for me isn't how much the leaker got right, but how much of the leaked content we have already seen confirmed.
The only thing I can maybe think that would explain this without the leaker having played the games or being part of GF is if maybe they're an intern or "lower" employee of The Pokemon Company (or maybe even Nintendo) and the information they got was maybe from a meeting those three companies had. Surely at some point GF would have to meet with TPC and Nintendo and show them both what they have. It's here I can imagine them showing off early game stuff, important characters, the Starter evolutions, Gigantamax, and a few other Pokemon they plan on using as promotion. While able to see a few glimpses here and there they'd probably not be fully allowed into the meeting or if they were they may be running around and doing errand. "This is a top secret meeting between us higher-ups of our respective companies... hey, gopher, fetch us all some coffee!".

I ain’t too upset with the new Charizard model for Gigamax since it seems like a bit of a compromise. Either you go with Y and anger the people who wanted X to come back, pick X and anger the people who wanted Y to come back, or do something new since it’s a new form that is separate from Mega Evolutions and anger people who were expecting it to be one of the two megas. Also doesn’t quite shut the door on Megas potentially coming back if GF so desires.

As for GF bringing back Megas, yeah, I eagerly await for them to dig into the bin of discarded ideas and expecting us to give them praise for doing so.

...okay? We already knew that wasnt gonna happen tho. They flat out said that megas werent going to be in the game, why would thengigantimax formes be the same? Thatd be dumb as hell and only fan the flames of laziness calls already being flung their way.
Know what, fine, toss away the Mega mechanic. But don't toss the designs especially if you're going to have a similar mechanic where the designs can be re-used! Going through the confirmed Pokemon we have right now there's Gengar, Steelix, Gyarados, Tyranitar, Gardevoir, Gallade, Sableye, Mawile, Manectric, Glalie, Lucario, & Abomasnow. How easy would it have been to just give them a Gigantamax that re-used their Mega Pokemon designs. Heck, they could have even given a Gigantamax to Snorlax, Mew, Mimikyu, & Kommo-o so they could re-use their Signature Z-Move as their G-Max move.

On meowth. Im preeeetty sure its based on some kind of Yokai, but which one i cant recall. I thought there was defenitly a long cat ghost of some kind...
Best I could find was the Nekomata (not to be confused with the Bakeneko). Bakeneko is the more well known cat which tail has split into to which Espeon is based on. Nekomata is a bit more complex. It's essentially a cat, usually raised on a mountain, that as it grew older it gained supernatural power which made itself bigger, able to walk on two legs, and even shapeshift into a more human-like form. Nothing specifically saying they're longer, they're either described as the size & shape of dogs, leopards, or humans.

Gigantamaxed Meowth is clearly an attempt to meme because ever since Alolan Exeggutor they have an odd obsession of making things tall (Dynamax & Gigantamax in general, Gigantamaxed Alcremie specifically, Galarian Weezing's hat, Sirfetch's lance, now Gigantamaxed Meowth. I'm not expecting Galarian Rapidash's horn to be ridiculously long).

Really though, side note, I do wonder what Leon's team will be like
Well they seem to be pointing toward an idea that Leon is the very symbol of popularity so maybe he'll use the Pokemon which are considered the most popular. We have that handy Japanese popularity so using that (and taking out the Legendary, Pikachu, & Eevee) we get: Greninja (1), Sylveon (5), Charizard (6), Lucario (15), Magnemite* (24), Dedenne (31), Archeops (32), Gengar (35), Gardevoir (38), Piplup* (40), Garchomp (42), Blaziken (45), Glaceon (47), Jigglypuff* (49)

*Obviously they would use the final stage of these Pokemon: Magnezone, Empleon, & Wigglytuff.

I stopped at top 50 because even with this selection you can form a good team. And that's also not counting him probably at least having one Galar Pokemon (maybe make it his "actual" partner).

View attachment 201209
Mosura ya Mosura

Dongan kasakuyan indo muu

Rusuto uiraandoa, hanba hanbamuyan, randa banunradan

Tounjukanraa

Kasaku yaanmu
Well at least there's something I like from this announcement. :) Wished they did a bit more, but at least Butterfree is finally getting some love after Beedrill got a Mega.

Gigantamax Butterfree's move looks kinda... busted to me. Guaranteed status to all opponents (one of them being Sleep) is ridiculous.

It would be difficult to pull off in singles because of its terrible stats, but on Doubles...
Hence why it seems busted. They're probably compensating (maybe overly so) for Butterfree's low stats (it's probably not going to get min-maxed + 100 BST like Mega Beedrill got). It has to work with the stats it got and the percentage boosts that Gigantamaxing gives them: 60/45/50/90/80/70//395. Probably the best thing they can do is just focus on increasing Special Attack and Speed and letting the Max Moves handle the rest, ideally it using its G-Max first so that it can afflict a hindering status ailment. And maybe, after it shrinks back to normal, it may be able to set up a few Quiver Dances to try and keep up the pressure.

Given that the special Pikachu, Eevee, & Meowth can't evolve, it seems likely that they might be the only pre-evolutions with Gigantamax forms (pending other special forms). I saw someone in a twitter comment point out that since Pikachu and Eevee are gifts for having LPGE, maybe they'll have the special starter stats instead of regular. (But hopefully not the busted and not-super-well named moves)
If they can't evolve then, yeah, I can only imagine that Pikachu and Eevee will probably be given the stats of the Partner Pikachu & Eevee. But there was no Partner Meowth so, if it does get increases stats, what would it look like?

Pikachu:
Normal:
35/55/40/50/50/90//320
Partner: 45/80/50/75/60/120//430
Increase: +10/+25/+10/+25/+10/+30//+110

Eevee:
Normal:
55/55/50/45/65/55//325
Partner: 65/75/70/65/85/75//435
Increase: +10/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20//+110

Meowth: 40/45/35/40/40/90//290

Meowth already start out with a disadvantage being 30 points lower than Pikachu & Eevee. Now like Pikachu & Eevee we can assume it'll probably get +10 to its HP; which would give it more HP than Pikachu at the very least. If I were GF I would focus on Attack and Speed (+30), give Special Attack the bare minimum (+10), and splitting the rest in the defense stats. So I'm seeing maybe 50/75/55/50/60/120//400. Of course, this just makes it a lesser Partner Pikachu so maybe exaggerate the difference even more (Atk & Spe to +35, SpA to +5) to 50/80/50/45/55/135//370. That makes it a bit more fragile BUT faster than Pikachu. Though personally I would have picked Clefairy instead of Meowth...

Though that does raise another question: will Pikachu and Eevee also be getting they're Partner Moves? Or will they maybe be given other moves to take the place of those moves. And what will Meowth be given in that case?

The 'Wild Area Station'. Wonder what that is, exactly; especially for it being so early on?
Maybe it's the Safari Zone of the game?

I'm guessing a train station
But the Wild Area doesn't look to have a train station.

As we all know, you csn only gigantimax once per battle, and since everyone can use it, each member on the team is important. The question is are these max moves dominating enough to warrant use as a dedicated gigantimaxer?
Behold the problem with all these "equalizer" mechanics that GF fails to address.

While I think GF is on the right track with how they're handling the mechanics behind Dynamaxing, it's still not perfect. It solves the "power creep" problem that Mega Evos had and the "no item" issue Z-Moves had, but still has the "only one Pokemon can do this" issue. They're almost there, they just need a way to allow multiple Pokemon to use an "equalizer" mechanic. Like easiest way would just have a sort of "power build-up bar" that upon reaching a certain amount you can choose to have the current Pokemon out use a "super move" that turn (like FF7's Limit Breaks) or enter a "super state" for 3 turns (like FF9's Trances).

Oh huh, i knew about pikachu but didnt realize eevee got that treatment as well
Eh... sorta?

Pikachu needs to have a different color belly and its cheeks need to be glowing.
Eevee's sprite looks like it had a beard, not a fluffier mane. Honestly for Eevee I wished they maybe made its mane glowing in different colors representing its Eeveelutions.

Running late for me, will continue tomorrow.

So, rather than just rant, I decided to prove my point with math. I went through and counted how many mons have gotten a major change* in a generation other than their origin, and sorted the results by generation. Apologies for any spelling errors, and if I missed any mons, but the overall point holds:

21 Gen 1 mons have regional forms. 2 Gen 3 mons have regional forms.
31 mons have been added to Gen 1 families. 12 mons have been added to Gen 2 families, 8 mons have been added to Gen 3 families.
10 mons from families introduced in Gen 1 changed types. 8 mons from families introduced in Gen 2 changed types. 4 mons from families introduced in Gen 3 changed types. 1 mon from Gen 4 has changed type. 1 mon from Gen 5 has changed type.
13 mons from Gen 1 can MegaEvolve. 6 mons from Gen 2 can MegaEvolve. 20 mons from Gen 3 can MegaEvolve. 5 mons from Gen 4 can MegaEvolve. 1 mon from Gen 5 can MegaEvolve. 1 mon from Gen 6 can MegaEvolve.
5 mons from Gen 1 have exclusive Z-Moves. The other 11 exclusive Z-moves are all from Gen 7, when the mechanic was introduced.
5 mons from Gen 1 so far can Gigantimax. 3 mons from Gen 8 can Gigantimax, despite that being when the mechanic was introduced.

Or, in a table format:
Gen IGen IIGen IIIGen IVGen VGen VIGen VIIGen VIII
Regional Form213
Evolution31128
Type Change108411
Megas13620511
Z-Moves511
Gigantimax53

So, with the exception of mega-evolution, where the Gen III remakes meant Gen III mons were in the spotlight, Gen I has ALWAYS recieved more attention than any other generation when it comes to updating Pokemon. 3 of the 6 categories I looked at EXCLUSIVELY care about Gen I and the current gen. This isn't the 8th generation being released, it's the 7th expansion pack for the same base 151 mons.

Alolan:
Rattatta
Raticate
Raichu
Sandshrew
Sandslash
Vulpix
Ninetails
Diglett
Dugtrio
Meowth
Persian
Geodude
Graveller
Golem
Grimer
Muk
Exeggutor
Marowak

Galaran:
Ponyta
Rapidash
Wheezing

Gen III:
Zigzagoon
Linoone
Gen I:
Cleffa
Igglybuff
Crobat
Bellossom
Politoed
Slowking
Magnezone
SirFetch'd
Steelix
Hitmontop
Lickilicki
Rhyperior
Happini
Blissey
Tangrowth
Kingdra
Mime Jr
Scizor
Smoochum
Elekid
Electivire
Magby
Magmortar
Espeon
Umbreon
Glaceon
Leafeon
Sylveon
Porygon2
PorygonZ
Munchlax

Gen II:
Togekiss
Azurill
Bonsley
Ambipom
Yanmega
Honchcrow
Mismagius
Wynaut
Gliscor
Weavile
Mamoswine
Mantyke

Gen III:
Obstagoon
Gallade
Probopass
Budew
Roserade
Dusknoir
Chingling
Froslass
(Sorted by the generation the family was introduced):
Gen I:
Cleffa
Clefairy
Clefable
Igglybuff
Jigglypuff
Wigglytuff
Magnemite
Magneton
Mime Jr
Mr Mime

Gen II:
Azurill
Marill
Azumarill
Snubbull
Granbull
Togepi
Togetic
Togekiss

Gen III:
Ralts
Kirlia
Gardevoir
Mawile

Gen IV:
Rotom

Gen V:
Whimiscott
Gen I:
Venusaur
Charizard (x2)
Blastoise
Alakazam
Gengar
Kangaskhan
Pinsir
Gyarados
Aerodactyl
Mewtwo (x2)
Beedrill
Pidgeot
Slowbro

Gen II:
Ampharos
Scizor
Heracross
Houndoom
Tyranitar
Steelix

Gen III:
Blaziken
Swampert
Sceptile
Gardevoir
Mawile
Sableye
Aggron
Medicham
Manectric
Banette
Absol
Sharpedo
Camerupt
Altaria
Glalie
Salamence
Metagross
Latios
Latias
Rayquaza

Gen IV:
Garchomp
Lucario
Abomasnow
Lopunny
Gallade

Gen V:
Audino

Gen VI:
Diancie
Gen I:
Pikachu (x2)
Raichu
Eevee
Snorlax
Mew

Gen VII:
Decidueye
Incineroar
Primarina
Lycanroc
Mimikyu
Kommo-o
Guardian of Alola (x4)
Songaleo
Lunala
Necrozma
Marshadow
Gen I:
Charizard
Butterfree
Pikachu
Meowth
Eevee

Gen VIII:
Corviknight
Drednaw
Alcremie

*New type, evolution/pre-evo, regional form, mega, Gigantimax. I ignored basic new forms, since there's so few of them cross-gen and it's all Pikachu, and stuff like moves/abilities/stat changes are minor, common, and a pain to track down.

I think i can counter that point with another; Gen 1 is the gen that needs the most tune ups because not only was it an unbalanced mess its the gen that will always suffer the most as power creep continues. Outside the usual mascots of zars, mewtwo, pikachu and eevee, how many changes could we really say were unnecessary?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I think i can counter that point with another; Gen 1 is the gen that needs the most tune ups because not only was it an unbalanced mess its the gen that will always suffer the most as power creep continues. Outside the usual mascots of zars, mewtwo, pikachu and eevee, how many changes could we really say were unnecessary?
Love him or hate him, he spitting str8 fax

But for real, Gen 1 roster is plagued by the design philosophy of the time. Whereas nowadays they go out of their way to make sure every new Pokemon does something different and unique, it seems like back then certain Pokemon were designed to be disposed of and replaced by flat-out superior options: Pidgeot/Fearow for Dodrio, Rapidash for Arcanine, Beedrill for Scyther, etc. General power creep hasn't done it any favors, either. The only dex with an equal or greater proportion of genuine shitmons is probably Gen 2. Sure, you got some like Gengar, Zapdos, Gyarados and Snorlax that have stood the test of time to varying degrees, but they are exceptions amidst a sea of aging garbage. Hell, even Charizard sucked total ass competitively before the Megas swooped in and saved it.

This is why I also consider the "pandering" argument mute when discussing Alolan forms. Yes, they were all Gen 1 Pokemon, but every single choice except for Dugtrio genuinely needed a buff, many in very dire of need of one too. For the most part, the ones they chose were rather obscure/disliked as well, with Marowak and Ninetales being the only ones you could maybe argue were done with fanservice in mind. Hell, one of the ones they chose to get an Alolan form was fucking Muk, one of the most hated members of the original 151! And frankly? I'd much rather take even more Kanto forms that actually gives the weaker cast members a boost than a way more diverse Galarian form/Gigantamax roster that focuses more on already popular picks that don't really need buffs.

Because as much as we rant about le genwunner menace, let's be honest with ourselves: Can anyone say with anything resembling a straight face that Volcarona deserved a buff more than Butterfree? Charizard getting another new form might be seen as money-grubbing, but would giving an already-established, viable competitive threat like Tyranitar the same treatment be much better?

Don’t buff Charizard, buff Typhlosion. Don’t give Meowth a new form AND Gigantimax, give one of those to Spinda. Yes, Gen 1 had a lot of bad mons that need updates, but so does every other Generation. The Gen 1 mons just get buffed repeatedly while the Wormadams and Vespiquens get put in the “only use in challenge runs” pile.

Edit: Just looking at my list, 17 of the Gen 1 families have been added to twice. That means that someone decided that Scyther is as deserving of as much attention post-Generation as the entirety of Gen 5. Can you really tell me that’s reasonable?
(and I love Scyther, to be clear. But the Gen 1 obsession is getting ridiculous)

Last edited:
Hell, one of the ones they chose to get an Alolan form was fucking Muk, one of the most hated members of the original 151!
muk.jpg

THE ONLY THING HE WANTS IS TO LOVE AND CUDDLE Y'ALL AND YOU KEEP BREAKING HIS HEART!!!

But in all seriousness, this discussion is going nowhere. The gimmick mons are the gimmick mons. While there are still alot of details we don't know, the best we can hope for is a fairer shake for each gen. Just don't get your hopes up too high.

Havent you seen how bad gen 2 pokemon are though? U can argue that gen 1 had alot of mediocre mons but gen 2 has arguably the highest number of bad mons that need an update

Why isnt gamefreak giving them any love? Dunsparce, qwilfish, corsola, girafrig, meganium, furret, noctowl, ledian, ariados, lanturn, bellossom, jumpluff, sunflora, granbull, delibird and stantler are all legitmately horrible pokemon EVEN BACK THEN and yet none of them recieved ANYTHING

Gen 1 doesnt get a ton of attention because gen 1 needs a tune up, its because its gamefreaks golden child

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)