Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

V-Create is odd -- means they've coded an animation for a move that never appears during play. Accelerock is at least called by Metronome. Possible that they intend to put it on an event in the future?

Consider, if you will, the potential horror of V-Create Zacian.

EDIT: Also possible that it got missed because they searched for things on the level up move lists of excluded Pokemon, and V-Create isn't on *any* learnset.

Last edited:
V-Create is odd -- means they've coded an animation for a move that never appears during play. Accelerock is at least called by Metronome. Possible that they intend to put it on an event in the future?

EDIT: Also possible that it got missed because they searched for things on the level up move lists of excluded Pokemon, and V-Create isn't on *any* learnset.
I think the reason V-Create and accelerock are both clickable is because they were signature moves that distribution outside of one Pokemon. In V-Create's case, it's Rayquaza. Lycanroc's forms are considered as different Pokemon, so Accelerock's distribution is technically two Pokemon.

I think the reason V-Create and accelerock are both clickable is because they were signature moves that distribution outside of one Pokemon. In V-Create's case, it's Rayquaza.
That doesn't make much sense. Half the moves on that signature move list have been distributed to multiple Pokemon or are on different non-interchangeable forms.

I think the reason V-Create and accelerock are both clickable is because they were signature moves that distribution outside of one Pokemon. In V-Create's case, it's Rayquaza. Lycanroc's forms are considered as different Pokemon, so Accelerock's distribution is technically two Pokemon.
Explaining that a move exists because it's on Rayquaza, to a person with a Rayquaza avatar, in a game where Rayquaza doesn't exist.

Explaining that a move exists because it's on Rayquaza, to a person with a Rayquaza avatar, in a game where Rayquaza doesn't exist.
In fairness, I think his point was that they would be overlooked on a simple "learned by only one Pokemon not in this game" search. Thing is, that applies to Spacial Rend, Nature's Madness and a load of others.

I think "learned only by things not in the game" is a more plausible search (are Celebrate, Hold Hands and Hold Back still usable?) but that doesn't explain Accelerock. Maybe it was intended to be given wider distribution?

Edit: Serebii lists only the starters being able to learn the Pledge moves this generation. Can someone double check if Silvally/Type:Null can access these moves or not?
Gamefreak messed up again. I had someone else test if Silvally can learn the Pledge Moves and it can still only learn Grass Pledge. Talking to the Tutor with Grass Pledge learned only tells you that it already knows the move. They completely neglected to fix this from USUM.

I have a question: how does Encore and Dynamax interact?
If you Encore your opponent and he Dynamaxes next turn, would the Encore effect still hold?
Can you Encore Dynamaxed mon? If so, will Encore still hold even after Dynamax ends?

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
After a few hours of testing, I believe that Power Spot provides a 1.3x multiplier to the Base Power of the ally moves.

Damage Results:
I used Power Spot boosted 93 Att Corviknight Brave Bird versus 71 Def Wobbuffet at level 50.
After 56 attacks, my damage distribution was like this:
Damage - Number of Times
115 - 3
116 - 0
117 - 1
118 - 6
119 - 0
120 - 11
121 - 4
122 - 0
123 - 1
124 - 6
125 - 0
126 - 5
127 - 1
128 - 0
129 - 2
130 - 2
131 - 0
132 - 3
133 - 4
134 - 0
135 - 3
136 - 4
Expected damages for 1.3x BP: 115, 117, 118, 120, 120, 121, 123, 124, 126, 127, 129, 130, 132, 133, 135, 136
As you can see when compared to my results, all the missing damages such as 116 and 119 never occur, and 120 damage has way more points which is expected when it appears in the list twice.
(Unfortunately, this setup gets the same results for 1.3x Attack boost, so see the edit for the disproof of that.)

Some other findings:
Max moves are boosted the same amount.
93 Att Corviknight G-Max Wind Rage (140 base, Brave Bird) does 103, 99 damage to 100 Def Noivern.
Without Power Spot: Possible damage amounts: (75, 75, 76, 76, 78, 79, 79, 81, 81, 82, 84, 84, 85, 85, 87, 88)
With 1.3x BP boost: Possible damage amounts: (96, 97, 99, 99, 100, 102, 103, 103, 105, 106, 108, 108, 109, 111, 112, 114)

Stonjourner doesn't boost itself.
159 Att Stonjourner Stomp does 42, 43, 46, 40 damage to 100 Def Noivern.
Without Power Spot: Possible damage amounts: (39, 40, 40, 41, 41, 42, 42, 43, 43, 44, 44, 45, 45, 46, 46, 47)

Special attacks are boosted the same amount as physical ones:
82 SpA Qwilfish Water Gun does 56 damage to 94 SpD Excadrill.
Without Power Spot: Possible damage amounts: (42, 42, 42, 42, 44, 44, 44, 44, 44, 44, 48, 48, 48, 48, 48, 50)
With 1.3x BP boost: Possible damage amounts: (50, 54, 54, 54, 54, 54, 56, 56, 56, 56, 56, 60, 60, 60, 60, 62)

Power Spot doesn't boost opposing Corviknight:
116 Att Corviknight Steel Wing does 68, 66 damage to 155 Def Stonjourner.
Without Power Spot: Possible damage amounts: (62, 62, 62, 66, 66, 66, 66, 68, 68, 68, 68, 72, 72, 72, 72, 74)

Thanks to DaWoblefet for helping me with testing the last 2 questions.
---

EDIT: Another test using Level 50 160 Att Darmanitan-Galar (no Gorilla Tactics) using Ice Punch on 71 Defense Wobbuffet to rule out Attack boost.
1.3x BP: 126, 127, 129, 130, 132, 133, 135, 136, 138, 139, 141, 142, 144, 145, 147, 148
1.3x Attack: 124, 126, 127, 129, 130, 132, 133, 135, 136, 138, 139, 141, 142, 144, 145, 147
1.3x Damage: 125, 126, 129, 129, 130, 133, 134, 134, 137, 138, 140, 140, 142, 144, 146, 148
126 139
141 138
129 138
136 147
148 148
This hits the 148 damage and 139 damage that are only compatible with Base Power boost.

Last edited:
I have a question: how does Encore and Dynamax interact?
If you Encore your opponent and he Dynamaxes next turn, would the Encore effect still hold?
Can you Encore Dynamaxed mon? If so, will Encore still hold even after Dynamax ends?
If it's anything like Z-Moves, Dynamaxing should be immune to anything that restricts move selection. And it already negates Choice items, so that should mean something...

... this makes me think of something. Is the Assault Vest negated by Dynamax? Can you use Max Guard while carrying an Assault Vest? Do you still get the Special Defense boost?

Last edited:
Since Judgment was called into question, The Immortal asked me to check every other signature move to see if it's clickable in game.

Btw if you have 4 grayed out moves, it goes straight to struggle, which is why I had to go put Protect on them.

EDIT: TI missed a bunch, will be updating in a bit.
EDIT2: Did that.

Here are all the screenshots showing what happens to them: https://imgur.com/a/lAZc9yy

Clickable:
Accelerock
Doom Desire
Fairy Lock
Mat Block
Night Daze
Soft-Boiled
V-create
Water Shuriken

Unclickable:
Aeroblast
Barrage
Beak Blast
Chatter
Conversion
Conversion 2
Crush Grip
Dragon Ascent
Fiery Dance
Fleur Cannon
Floral Healing
Geomancy
Heart Swap
Hyperspace Fury
Hyperspace Hole
Kinesis
Land's Wrath
Light of Ruin
Lovely Kiss
Lunar Dance
Magma Storm
Milk Drink
Mind Blown
Nature's Madness
Oblivion Wing
Origin Pulse
Precipice Blades
Psycho Boost
Relic Song
Revelation Dance
Roar of Time
Sacred Fire
Searing Shot
Shadow Force
Sketch
Spacial Rend
Steam Eruption
Techno Blast
Thousand Waves
Just checking for Balanced Hackmons's sake: what about Thousand Arrows? And I'm assuming that signature moves of unreleased legendaries and mythicals such as Blue Flare and Spectral Thief are still clickable...correct?

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
... this makes me think of something. Is the Assault Vest negated by Dynamax?
I answered this already here.
Just checking for Balanced Hackmons's sake: what about Thousand Arrows? And I'm assuming that signature moves of unreleased legendaries and mythicals such as Blue Flare and Spectral Thief are still clickable...correct?
I got a better list of orphaned moves from The Immortal, but it doesn't include Blue Flare and Spectral Thief because both the users have their data in the game in the expanded dex, so I would presume they are usable. Excluding the ones I already showed, here are my findings:

Screenshots #2: https://imgur.com/a/vks7qOp

Clickable:
Celebrate
Happy Hour
Hold Hands
Hold Back
Volt Tackle

Unclickable:
Assist
Barrier
Bestow
Bide
Bone Club
Bonemerang
Camouflage
Captivate
Chip Away
Comet Punch
Constrict
Core Enforcer
Dark Void
Diamond Storm
Dizzy Punch
Double Slap
Dragon Hammer
Dragon Rage
Egg Bomb
Embargo
Flame Burst
Foresight
Frustration
Grass Whistle
Head Charge
Heal Block
Heal Order
Heart Stamp
Heart Swap
Hyper Fang
Ice Ball
Ice Hammer
Ion Deluge
Judgment
Karate Chop
Light of Ruin
Lucky Chant
Luster Purge
Magnet Bomb
Magnitude
Me First
Meditate
Miracle Eye
Mirror Shot
Mist Ball
Mud Bomb
Natural Gift
Needle Arm
Ominous Wind
Psywave
Punishment
Pursuit
Razor Wind
Relic Song
Return
Rock Climb
Rolling Kick
Rototiller
Secret Power
Seed Flare
Shadow Bone
Shadow Force
Sharpen
Shore Up
Signal Beam
Silver Wind
Sky Drop
Sky Uppercut
Smelling Salts
Snatch
Spotlight
Steamroller
Synchronoise
Tail Glow
Telekinesis
Thousand Arrows
Toxic Thread
Trump Card
Twineedle
Wake-Up Slap
Wring Out

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Snow Cloak? does it protect now from status conditions during hailstorm?

Zamazanta and Eternatus will lear it in sequel.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Where's your proof?
Both look like they should get it.

Hope Bug bite gets Strong Jaw boost this gen.

Maybe Magma Armor, Shel Armor and Battle Armor got additions? Magma Armor should or could block biting moves /boosted by Strong jaw.

Last edited:
I answered this already here.

I got a better list of orphaned moves from The Immortal, but it doesn't include Blue Flare and Spectral Thief because both the users have their data in the game in the expanded dex, so I would presume they are usable. Excluding the ones I already showed, here are my findings:

Screenshots #2: https://imgur.com/a/vks7qOp

Clickable:
Celebrate
Happy Hour
Hold Hands
Hold Back
Volt Tackle

Unclickable:
Assist
Barrier
Bestow
Bide
Bone Club
Bonemerang
Camouflage
Captivate
Chip Away
Comet Punch
Constrict
Core Enforcer
Dark Void
Diamond Storm
Dizzy Punch
Double Slap
Dragon Hammer
Dragon Rage
Egg Bomb
Embargo
Flame Burst
Foresight
Frustration
Grass Whistle
Head Charge
Heal Block
Heal Order
Heart Stamp
Heart Swap
Hyper Fang
Ice Ball
Ice Hammer
Ion Deluge
Judgment
Karate Chop
Light of Ruin
Lucky Chant
Luster Purge
Magnet Bomb
Magnitude
Me First
Meditate
Miracle Eye
Mirror Shot
Mist Ball
Mud Bomb
Natural Gift
Needle Arm
Ominous Wind
Psywave
Punishment
Pursuit
Razor Wind
Relic Song
Return
Rock Climb
Rolling Kick
Rototiller
Secret Power
Seed Flare
Shadow Bone
Shadow Force
Sharpen
Shore Up
Signal Beam
Silver Wind
Sky Drop
Sky Uppercut
Smelling Salts
Snatch
Spotlight
Steamroller
Synchronoise
Tail Glow
Telekinesis
Thousand Arrows
Toxic Thread
Trump Card
Twineedle
Wake-Up Slap
Wring Out
Can you take a look at these moves? The code shows they would work, yet no Pokémon apear to learn them:
Soft-Boiled
V-Create
Mat Block
Fairy Lock
Accelerock

Also just sticking this here, but Moongeist Beam (Between Lunala and Necrosma) and Behemoth Blade/Bash (Between Zacian/Zamazenta and a transformed Ditto) has different animations depending on the user. It would be nice if eventually all of the signiture moves (including Volt Tackle) is gone through and checked for this.

So, about snapped moves...
Despite having no description and the game preventing you from transfering a Pokémon with them over, they retain data such as power and accuracy, but have a CanUse flag set to false.
For the record here, the snapped (seeable) moves have the generic description saying "you can't use this please delete it". We have no idea how transferring from Pokemon Home works right now, but the description makes it seem like you should be able to transfer the moves and see that description ingame.

At the least, you can transfer up valid mons with Softboiled tutors.

does truant get ignored by dynamax?

can soundproof kommo-o use clangorous soul?

does super fang do 1 damage to dynamax mons past their base forms full hp?

For the record here, the snapped (seeable) moves have the generic description saying "you can't use this please delete it". We have no idea how transferring from Pokemon Home works right now, but the description makes it seem like you should be able to transfer the moves and see that description ingame.
Either that, or you're not supposed to transfer those moves, and the description is a "You shouldn't be seeing this; this Pokémon is hacked" indicator.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)