Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Eject Pack:
-Triggers on self-inflicted stat drops (pretty obviously the intent of the item, but just making sure)
-Triggers even if your stats are decreased but stay in the positive stat levels
-Triggers from Stockpile release
-Triggers from allies lowering your stats
-Only one switch per move still applies, though the specific Eject Pack+Weak Armor with U-turn situation outlined only causes the U-turn to go off, not Eject Pack. Parting Shot also denies Eject Pack. I'm not overly sure how this hierarchy worked last gen, but if I'm understanding correctly this means it's at the bottom of it, provided the rest are still ranked the same way.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
would be cool if they allowed pokemon to evole into a shiny pokemon with the same chance of catching it... would be cool.

This is incorrect. Libero works exactly like Protean.
Libero and Protean. Do both maintain the type of the move even after the attack?
stay they fighting after using a fighting type move? Like if would it get now hit with flying type move would it get SE damage? (would be cool to get a ability that protects you from moves bosted by abilities)

No other abilities and moves got possible changes?
(weird that Magma Armor doesnt protect from biting moves, investation, sticky web, Cotton guard effect)

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Yes, that is how they both work.
that means if you survive and got a SE move against them it could hurt them harder or if they get trapped in a biding move thats SE? if you Encore , Follow me, rage powder them and have right pokemon to counter they are literaly trapped? Cinderace, if you provoke it right and force it to use Pyro Ball, or a fighting, or electric move then in return you can wall it with Bulletproof, Ghost or Ground type very well?

The same with Protean Greninja.

that means if you survive and got a SE move against them it could hurt them harder or if they get trapped in a biding move thats SE? if you Encore , Follow me, rage powder them and have right pokemon to counter they are literaly trapped? Cinderace, if you provoke it right and force it to use Pyro Ball, or a fighting, or electric move then in return you can wall it with Bulletproof, Ghost or Ground type very well?

The same with Protean Greninja.
In the examples you're using, there is nothing preventing them from switching to avoid being "trapped" in that scenario. That said, yes, if their type changes via those abilities, you would be able to hit an Ice Greninja for super-effective damage with Rock moves.

That said, the effectiveness of Encore or Follow Me to render specific options useless has nothing to do with Protean/Libero. The attacking Pokémon's type change doesn't matter.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Does Fishious Rend still get double Base Power if a faster foe uses U-turn against Dracovish and switches out into something new? (Situation today on the ladder, Galarian Darmanitan uses U-turn against Dracovish, swaps to something new. Does the new thing take a 170 bp hit or an 85 bp hit)
looks like it doubles base power
edit: the dracozolt had 252+, hustle, and no boosting item

Last edited:

Matleo

Banned deucer.
can someone check Gravity and Telepathy if nothing has changed?
Like Gravity blocking more moves? like all flying type moves?
Or Telepathy protecting user from all moves in double and singles?

Orbeetle the big secret.

1574617687727.png
It seems like Gigantimax is banned for Online Competitive matches in Sword and Shield.

While it was to be assumed, Cramorant's Gulp Missile ability deals damage based on the base HP of the target Pokémon, so it deals less than 25% damage against Dynamaxed/Gigantamaxed Pokémon.

The side effects still work, though.

It was brought to my attention that a particular Japanese site was claiming that not all HAs are available from raid battles, and there's an extra condition that HAs can only spawn if a rare purple raid also spawns there. This was confirmed by Kaphotics who was already working on it here. Essentially, only encounters listed as "A4" can have the possibility of HA. This means a lot of Pokemon we had assumed to be able to get HA cannot have it, such as Clefable! There are also several gen 8 Pokemon that currently do not have HA available, such as Yamper line and Wooloo line.

I went through and sorted out every Galar Dex mon and their evolution family/forms to say who can and can't have HA.
(I don't believe there are any other places to get HA mons in SwSh?)

A few notes:
- Kanto Meowth and Persian can get HA by breeding female HA Galar Meowth with male Kanto Meowth holding Everstone. (When breeding different regional forms, the mons holding Everstone will pass down their form, 50% if both are holding Everstone. Otherwise only regional forms are hatched.)
- Mime Jr. and Kanto Mr. Mime can get HA by breeding female HA Galar Mr. Mime holding Odd Incense with male Kanto Mr. Mime holding Everstone.
- A lot of mons are marked "n/a" because while they have an A4 encounter, they functionally only have 1 ability so something like a 3rd slot Aegislash is indistinguishable on PS. Blank Pokemon simply cannot have the 3rd slot ability at all, whether it's HA or the same as another ability.

This will have implications for competitive play until Home comes out or they start releasing more of the HA gen 8 Pokemon through other means.
I'm a little bit confused here

So only "purple rare raid" pokemon can be Hidden ability?

Cause it says liepard and thievul are a part of this list and they're both available via purple raids (den #63 and #69 for example). Or is there another hidden factor that disables even purple raid thievul from having HA?

how does copycat work regarding dynamax moves?

edit: Tested- copies base move that target selected. (in my test, copycat used air slash when a dynamaxed togekiss used max airstream diectly before)

have a scuffed video if required.

Last edited:
I'm a little bit confused here

So only "purple rare raid" pokemon can be Hidden ability?

Cause it says liepard and thievul are a part of this list and they're both available via purple raids (den #63 and #69 for example). Or is there another hidden factor that disables even purple raid thievul from having HA?
I'm also confused as I have caught multiple HA Pokemon from the red raids. It was worded as "if a purple raid spawns there" so maybe it means HAs can be in red raids if that location can also have purple ones spawn?

Since Weather Ball and Multi-Attack transform into the Dyna-move their current type corresponds to, is the same true for Aura-Wheel?

Nope because Fire type are immune to Will o Wisp
Ability Checks take priority over Type checks since Gen 6 IIRC. Ground type Lightning Rod Users could make use of their ability since then, if they weren't all physically oriented of course.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
- If Ditto transforms into a pokemon that's capable of Gigamaxing and elects to Dinamax, will it Dina or Gigamax?
Hadn't seen this answered yet and just had this situation in-game. Against an opposing Gigantamaxed Grimmsnarl, Ditto came in and Imposter copied base-form Grimmsnarl. Upon selecting to Dynamax my Ditto, I was given a Dynamax Grimmsnarl, not a Gigantamax one.

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Hadn't seen this answered yet and just had this situation in-game. Against an opposing Gigantamaxed Grimmsnarl, Ditto came in and Imposter copied base-form Grimmsnarl. Upon selecting to Dynamax my Ditto, I was given a Dynamax Grimmsnarl, not a Gigantamax one.
Nice find!
Which raises up the opposite question: If you inject Imposter/Transform on a gigantamaxable mon (or alternatively inject the gigantamax mark on an Imposter/Transform mon, assuming that's possible) and transform into a normal dynamax mon that can also be found as gigantamax, can you gigantamax?

Last edited:

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
I hate to be that guy, but I haven't seen concrete evidence, so…

Has it been confirmed in-game how Body Press works?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)