SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword and Shield Datamine Thread

I have some friends that have been soft-resetting the same raid on one switch. 12 rounds and the only person who caught it was me, with a Master Ball. Suddenly one round, they put a Can't Escape modifier on it (with Octolock, though the stat drops weren't working) and 2/3 (host was resetting) ended up catching it. Is it possible that this effect affects catch chance now, or is that just dumb luck? Further testing ongoing on our end.

EDIT: Further testing of this theory seems to reveal it as dumb luck. Also status seems to have little bearing.

Last edited:
What says you can't transfer one from a previous generation once HOME is out?
Okay then I want to correct this to "not possible at the moment" ;) ... maybe next year - not sure how Pokemon Home will work.

At the moment I try to hunt down all the hidden abilities for my pokemon and it just surprised me that it is not yet in the game for Clefable/Clefairy, although there are max raid battles for them.

edit:
ah I see it was already mentioned and there is also a list of affected pokemon: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...chanics-research.3655528/page-22#post-8291236

Last edited:
Do you guys know where you can find a flame orb in this? Serebii says it is a reward for league rematch but i have done it dozens of times and did not get it. I also haven't head of anyone with it.

Do you guys know where you can find a flame orb in this? Serebii says it is a reward for league rematch but i have done it dozens of times and did not get it. I also haven't head of anyone with it.
I have gotten it from a league rematch. Pretty dumb that you cannot buy it with BP though.

I have some friends that have been soft-resetting the same raid on one switch. 12 rounds and the only person who caught it was me, with a Master Ball. Suddenly one round, they put a Can't Escape modifier on it (with Octolock, though the stat drops weren't working) and 2/3 (host was resetting) ended up catching it. Is it possible that this effect affects catch chance now, or is that just dumb luck? Further testing ongoing on our end.

EDIT: Further testing of this theory seems to reveal it as dumb luck. Also status seems to have little bearing.
Do we know what DOES have bearing on upping your Raid catch chance? I notice that Dusk Balls seem to work as they say on the tin, and I've experimented with Timer Balls (although the payoff there isn't great) but I have no way of knowing myself or testing in a way that could deliver accurate results.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not sure where to put this kind of post.

But recently, I found something quite fascinating from a few years ago back around when Gen 7 started, where Codraroll brings up three-stage evolutionary families, namely what he would refer to as ATEFs (Atypical Three-Stage Evolutionary Family). You can see his full post here, where he talks about them in more detail and does some stats about them too. But basically, he talks about three-stage evolutionary families there, but Gen 6 and Gen 7 were awfully short on TEFs that weren't due to traditional design conventions (ie starters, regional bird, regional bug, and pseudo-legendary), with Gen 6 having only 2 ATEFs (Florges and Aegislash) and Gen 7 having a grand total of one (Tsareena). Gen 5 is still the lead in terms of ATEFs, with BW introducing 12 ATEFs.

Now let's look at Gen 8. It introduced a grand total of around 81 new Pokemon, plus 2 alleged mythicals which would put the number of new Gen 8 mons to around 83. When it comes to ATEFs, Gen 8 has definitely taken a step up from the past two gens, albeit a small one, with three full new ATEFs plus two due to cross-gen evolution (Obstagoon and Mr. Rime). This puts us at around 5 ATEFs in total.

He has already done the stats on the past 7 gens, but looking at Gen VIII, we have:

3x starters (Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon)
1x early bird (Corviknight)
1x early bug (Orbeetle)
3x ATEFs (Hatterene, Grimmsnarl, Coalossal)
1x pseudo-legendary (Dragapult)
+2x ATEFs from Cross-gen (Obstagoon, Mr. Rime)

Plus Obstagoon and Mr. Rime, that's a total of 11 three-stage evo families: 83/11=7.54. This is pretty solid, and a step up from Gen 7, back to more than 1 TEF per every 10 new Pokemon added. Plus the 5 new ATEFs are quite cool, which is a bonus.

Now let's also do the statistics as a bonus if you exclude the TTEFS (Starters, birds, bugs, pseudo) from the count:

That leaves Gen VIII with 65 remaining Pokemon: 65/5=13. This leaves a ratio that is around 13 If you look at the ratios Codraroll brought up back in that post, this leaves us with a roughly 1:13 ratio of ATEFs. This is slightly lower than the first three gens, which is good, but nonetheless is greatly a step up compared to the number of mons introduced this generation: definitely a considerable step up from Gen VI and especially Gen VII. Gen 8 introduced a few more Pokemon then the past two and a lot less than Gen 5 and still less than Gens 2/4, but it definitely did better in bringing more ATEFs to the table within the Pokemon than the past two gens, which I think is pretty neat, plus two of them being cool cross-gen evos (Obstagoon/Mr. Rime). I do like that they gave some more attention to having more three-stage evo families this generation, even if it's not that many compared to say, Gen 5 (then again, Gen 5 introduced so many new Pokemon and Gen 8 kind of not a lot).

Anyway, just wanted to bring that up for funsies: I find that old post from Codraroll incredibly fascinating and brought up some stats about TEFs some years ago and I felt it was fun to pick up off of it with the new gen and new batch of mons.

Last edited:
Not sure where to put this kind of post.

But recently, I found something quite fascinating from a few years ago back around when Gen 7 started, where Codraroll brings up three-stage evolutionary families, namely what he would refer to as ATEFs (Atypical Three-Stage Evolutionary Family). You can see his full post here, where he talks about them in more detail and does some stats about them too. But basically, he talks about three-stage evolutionary families there, but Gen 6 and Gen 7 were awfully short on TEFs that weren't due to traditional design conventions (ie starters, regional bird, regional bug, and pseudo-legendary), with Gen 6 having only 2 ATEFs (Florges and Aegislash) and Gen 7 having a grand total of one (Tsareena). Gen 5 is still the lead in terms of ATEFs, with BW introducing 12 ATEFs.

Now let's look at Gen 8. It introduced a grand total of around 81 new Pokemon, plus 2 alleged mythicals which would put the number of new Gen 8 mons to around 83. When it comes to ATEFs, Gen 8 has definitely taken a step up from the past two gens, albeit a small one, with three full new ATEFs plus one due to cross-gen evolution (Obstagoon). This puts us at around 4 ATEFs in total.

He has already done the stats on the past 7 gens, but looking at Gen VIII, we have:

3x starters (Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon)
1x early bird (Corviknight)
1x early bug (Orbeetle)
3x ATEFs (Hatterene, Grimmsnarl, Coalossal)
1x pseudo-legendary (Dragapult)
+1x ATEF from Cross-gen (Obstagoon)

Plus Obstagoon, that's a total of 10 three-stage evo families: 83/10=8.3. This is pretty solid, and a step up from Gen 7, back to more than 1 TEF per every 10 new Pokemon added. Plus the 4 new ATEFs are quite cool, which is a bonus.

Now let's also do the statistics as a bonus if you exclude the TTEFS (Starters, birds, bugs, pseudo) from the count:

That leaves Gen VIII with 65 remaining Pokemon: 65/4=16.25. This leaves a ratio that is around 16 If you look at the ratios Codraroll brought up back in that post, this leaves us with a roughly 1:16 ratio of ATEFs. This is slightly higher than the first three gens, but nonetheless a step up compared to the number of mons introduced this generation: definitely a considerable step up from Gen VI and especially Gen VII. Gen 8 introduced a few more Pokemon then the past two and a lot less than Gen 5 and still less than Gens 2/4, but it definitely did better in bringing more ATEFs to the table within the Pokemon than the past two gens, which I think is pretty neat, plus one of them being a cool cross-gen evo (Obstagoon). I do like that they paid a little more attention to having more three-stage evo families, even if it's not that many compared to say, Gen 5 (then again, Gen 5 introduced so many new Pokemon and Gen 8 kind of not a lot).

Anyway, just wanted to bring that up for funsies: I find that old post from Codraroll incredibly fascinating and brought up some stats about TEFs some years ago and I felt it was fun to pick up off of it with the new gen and new batch of mons.
There's one other cross-gen 3 stage line: Mr. Rime. Mime Jr is kind of hard to run into normally (rolling fields in a snowstorm) so I think a lot of people kind of forget that the line still goes Mime Jr -> Mr. Mime-G -> Mr. Rime

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There's one other cross-gen 3 stage line: Mr. Rime. Mime Jr is kind of hard to run into normally (rolling fields in a snowstorm) so I think a lot of people kind of forget that the line still goes Mime Jr -> Mr. Mime-G -> Mr. Rime
Oh yeah thanks for bringing Mr. Rime up. I was a bit puzzled about the situation surrounding Mr. Rime evolution-wise (especially because of its typing) but yeah. I edited the stat calculations I made to include it, haha.

Concerning max raids, why does a super effective hit not cause hardly any damage to the Pokémon you’re battling? For instance, my Max Quake from Flygon barely dents the Togedemaru that I’m battling. Usually, after you break its shield, you cause more damage, but the second successful hit I landed did about half as much as my first hit! Togedemaru is quad weak to ground so I have no idea why my level 65 Flygon barely dents it. Any ideas?
Max raid Pokémon seem to have a few specific HP thresholds where they raise their shields. These thresholds cap how much damage they can take from a single hit, regardless of how powerful the attack is.

So, while it seems like your attack is weaker than before, it’s actually a case of the raid mon blocking all damage once it reaches a certain HP%, until it raises its shields.

Do we know whether Sinistea's Antique form can only be found in the wild or can it hatch from eggs? And if it can, does the parent/s have to be legit too or can a Phony Sinistea/Polteageist produce an Antique kid?

Do we know whether Sinistea's Antique form can only be found in the wild or can it hatch from eggs? And if it can, does the parent/s have to be legit too or can a Phony Sinistea/Polteageist produce an Antique kid?
Are you talking about the Antique versus the Forge form? Both the Antique and Forge forms can be found in the wild and from eggs. From what I understand, a Forged Sinistea can produce an Antique child. The choice of china that the ghost kid haunts seems completely random.

ETA: Serebii says there's a 1% chance of getting an authentic Sinistea and it only affects the appearance of the Pokémon and the type of pot you need to use to evolve it, but some of the formatting errors in that section indicate that that portion may have been hastily edited, so I would keep an ear out for any updates.

Last edited:
When do the strong overworld Pokemon like the Onix near the entrance to the Wild Area respawn?
I have been spending a lot of time in the wild area lately and I think it might vary based on the Pokemon.
I accidentally KO'd a Gourgeist (it shows up along the wall to hammerlocke), didnt see it for the rest of the night, but did find it the next day; so at first I thought it was daily
Same with that snorlax after the bridge. Caught one, saw no more until the following day
Meanwhile there's a Copperajah that shows up just outside the hammerlocke entrance that I caught but didn't see another for about 2 days?
In contrast, I caught that Klinklang that's near by both of them and I believe I saw another spawn maybe an hour later.

I have been spending a lot of time in the wild area lately and I think it might vary based on the Pokemon.
I accidentally KO'd a Gourgeist (it shows up along the wall to hammerlocke), didnt see it for the rest of the night, but did find it the next day; so at first I thought it was daily
Same with that snorlax after the bridge. Caught one, saw no more until the following day
Meanwhile there's a Copperajah that shows up just outside the hammerlocke entrance that I caught but didn't see another for about 2 days?
In contrast, I caught that Klinklang that's near by both of them and I believe I saw another spawn maybe an hour later.
I'm pretty sure they can all respawn daily but some of them, like copperajah probably, are weather-dependent. e.g., I've seen wild aegislash exactly once, when it was foggy just below where you normally see doublade. Also the roselia in rolling fields is a pikachu when raining, etc.

Do male Pokémon pass down Hidden Abilities at the same rate when breeding with Ditto as female Pokémon? (60%)

I'm doing another giveaway soon and I want to know if I can get away with using a male I bred to churn out HA Snorm.

so a pair of questions about Wild Area mechanics
1. Are we aware of respawn rates of assorted items? Limits on number of respawns per occurrence? Differs for each item? Most relevant for the evolution items, such as the apples or Lake of Outrage's suite of evolution stones.
2. While checking a lot of Serebii's pokeearth listings, there's some labeled "Strong%" What does this mean? Do we know what triggers it? Because some Pokemon seem to not show up without it. Milotic is just "Unknown Area" in the pokedex but "Strong%" on Serebii and we had pre-release footage of Milotic in the wild. Does this pertain to Brilliant Aura pokemon at all?

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
2. While checking a lot of Serebii's pokeearth listings, there's some labeled "Strong%" What does this mean? Do we know what triggers it? Because some Pokemon seem to not show up without it. Milotic is just "Unknown Area" in the pokedex but "Strong%" on Serebii and we had pre-release footage of Milotic in the wild. Does this pertain to Brilliant Aura pokemon at all?
Strong% just means an overworld encounter that's always in a certain spot, like the Onix you see when you enter the Wild Area for the first time. For some reason the Pokedex doesn't show where Pokemon that appear this way appear, which is why Milotic and some other Pokemon are Area Unknown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)