Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
In cases like https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Appendix:Repel_trick#Kalos_Route_12 does Cute Charm really changes the encounter tables, and say, increases the chances of Tauros with a female lead mon? Or is it a mistake and it only alters the gender of an already generated mon?
Yeah no that article’s very wrong. All that Cute Charm does is modify the gender chance of an encountered Pokémon to be 2/3 likely to be opposite the Cute Charm Pokémon, and 1/3 likely to be the same. Relatively useful if the Pokémon normally has a 25/75 gender ratio and you want the 25% roll, otherwise it’s not worthwhile.

So yeah it doesn’t change the encounter table at all.

Okay so I'm doing a Shellder solo run I Pokemon red and I've finally made it to the Elite four. I defeat Lorelei and Bruno no problem. Then I get to Agatha, the first Gengar hits with a Confusion, it's super effective! What the... Since when is Psychic Super Effective against Water? Has anyone else encountered this?

Oh and also apparently grass moves are not super effective against my Shellder.

Celever

i am town
This should go in the Simple Questions and Simple Answers thread, but in short Gen I is a buggy mess and an obvious way this is revealed is through the type effectiveness messages. The damage is still calculated correctly, but the message of “it’s not very effective” etc. is wrong about half the time honestly.

It’s also plausible your cartridge is a little damaged. I don’t think there’s a reason why either of your two examples would have happened specifically, but there are a number of reasons why type effectiveness displays incorrectly (just as far as I can tell they wouldn’t apply to those instances).

Gengar doesn't have Confusion...did you mean Confuse Ray? Because there's some other messages in play for that one

So yes I'm pretty sure this is not just a glitch with the messages. Both Lorelei'sbSlowbro and both Lance's Dragonair just spams agility against my Shellder no matter what I do and the Champions Alakazam ohko's me with Psychic.

Attachments

Hello.

On the OU SQSA thread I had a bit of a back and forth with Finchinator about the interaction of Teleport and Block. There is still something I don't quite understand, and I don't want to pollute that thread. Additionally, I am bringing this here because I was hoping someone could test this out on cartridge for me.

Does Teleport fail if the opposing Pokemon has used Block, and if the user of Teleport is NOT holding a smoke ball?

On Showdown, it appears that Teleport will succeed under Block, but Showdown is a recreation of cartridge. On the bulbapedia page, it says Teleport will only succeed through a trapping move if the user is holding a smoke ball.

Celever

i am town
Hello.

On the OU SQSA thread I had a bit of a back and forth with Finchinator about the interaction of Teleport and Block. There is still something I don't quite understand, and I don't want to pollute that thread. Additionally, I am bringing this here because I was hoping someone could test this out on cartridge for me.

Does Teleport fail if the opposing Pokemon has used Block, and if the user of Teleport is NOT holding a smoke ball?

On Showdown, it appears that Teleport will succeed under Block, but Showdown is a recreation of cartridge. On the bulbapedia page, it says Teleport will only succeed through a trapping move if the user is holding a smoke ball.
You’re misreading the Bulbapedia article. It is referring to wild Pokémon battles, where Teleport is a 100% success rate “run”, not trainer battles. In wild battles (and against the wild Pokémon), Block works on Teleport, however Teleport succeeds in trainer battles.

Last edited:
Japan-exclusive moves don't necessarily need to be claused out, as they simply don't exist in the international games. It's better to just add a note saying "Yeah these aren't obtainable gottem ggs". If you do try to trade, you just corrupt your save file.
What are Japan exclusive moves? I can't find any information about them on Bulbapedia.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What are Japan exclusive moves? I can't find any information about them on Bulbapedia.
They're talking about Japan-only Events that gave the distributed Pokemon a move that it normally doesn't learn. One I can think off the top of my head was the Arceus they gave out for its movie which knew Blast Burn & Hydro Power. However they're been a few, notably for movies with Legendaries.
There's also the Event Moves, while we haven't gotten that many Japan has given players a lot more chances to get them (not that it's a shame as two do nothing and one just gives double money): Hold Hands, Celebrate, and Happy Hour (there is a fourth Event-exclusive move, Hold Back, but I think we usually get most of those as Hold Back is a useful move in-game for catching Pokemon as it's a False Swipe clone)

They're talking about Japan-only Events that gave the distributed Pokemon a move that it normally doesn't learn. One I can think off the top of my head was the Arceus they gave out for its movie which knew Blast Burn & Hydro Power. However they're been a few, notably for movies with Legendaries.
There's also the Event Moves, while we haven't gotten that many Japan has given players a lot more chances to get them (not that it's a shame as two do nothing and one just gives double money): Hold Hands, Celebrate, and Happy Hour (there is a fourth Event-exclusive move, Hold Back, but I think we usually get most of those as Hold Back is a useful move in-game for catching Pokemon as it's a False Swipe clone)
I tried clicking the Bulbapedia links, and as far as I can tell, all of these event Pokemon know moves that exist in international games and can be traded to international games without causing anything weird. So what was he/she/they/it referring to when he/she/they/it said those moves simply don't exist in international games and can cause corruption?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So what was he/she/they/it referring to when he/she/they/it said those moves simply don't exist in international games and can cause corruption?
Wait, what?

*Rereads your original post*

... Where did you get that quote? There's no such thing as a "Japanese-exclusive" move.

Wait, what?

*Rereads your original post*

... Where did you get that quote? There's no such thing as a "Japanese-exclusive" move.
Here's a link to the post I was quoting.
To note, Psywave was never "officially" banned, as I found out from investigating things with Hogg. It's a long story, but regardless, it shouldn't be there.

Japan-exclusive moves don't necessarily need to be claused out, as they simply don't exist in the international games. It's better to just add a note saying "Yeah these aren't obtainable gottem ggs". If you do try to trade, you just corrupt your save file.

Also a list of mons with the issue for those looking to add notes, all but Phanpy are RBY only.
  • Pay Day Rapidash
  • Pay Day Fearow
  • Fly Pikachu
  • Dragon Rage Magikarp
  • Encore Phanpy + Donphan
I probably should have put the full quote and link when I first asked this question, but I didn't really want to bother Karma with a notification from a random thread he never posted in.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I tried clicking the Bulbapedia links, and as far as I can tell, all of these event Pokemon know moves that exist in international games and can be traded to international games without causing anything weird. So what was he/she/they/it referring to when he/she/they/it said those moves simply don't exist in international games and can cause corruption?
The moves exist (obviously) it's just that the events don't exist internationally, can't be transferred at all, and thus don't require bans. They are soft-banned on PS through another method.

Last edited:
No, they mean that combination of Pokémon and move only exists in events for Japanese versions, and you can't trade between a Japanese and an International version, as you'd get a corrupted Pokémon instead.

(Assuming the trade does not fail in the first place)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
No, they mean that combination of Pokémon and move only exists in Japanese versions, and you can't trade between a Japanese and an International version, as you'd get a corrupted Pokémon instead.

(Assuming the trade does not fail in the first place)
Huh, I never knew you couldn't trade between a Japanese and International cart in the GB era (or at least trade without causing some corruption, guess it has to do with the language text?). Learn something new everyday.

Huh, I never knew you couldn't trade between a Japanese and International cart in the GB era (or at least trade without causing some corruption, guess it has to do with the language text?). Learn something new everyday.
You can interact, but you will get a corruption in some way or form.

I remember once being able to trigger a trade through BGB, trading the starter between both games, and the japanese version got a Starmie with glitch moves.

UPDATE: I didn't remember I still had the ROMs, so I tried Colosseum, and I think I just had my memories about the Starmie switched:

1613947912640.png

Last edited:
I’m about to do a challenge run of XD gale of darkness sense gen 3 is my favorite gen but the criteria is it’s a nuzlock, I can’t evolve any Pokémon, and if eevee faints I instantly lose. Anyone know a good move set for eevee or any other tips before I dive in?

(sorry for formatting on mobile)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I’m about to do a challenge run of XD gale of darkness sense gen 3 is my favorite gen but the criteria is it’s a nuzlock, I can’t evolve any Pokémon, and if eevee faints I instantly lose. Anyone know a good move set for eevee or any other tips before I dive in?

(sorry for formatting on mobile)
  • Sand-Attack would probably be a handy move to keep on Eevee, not only to make opponents miss it but provides support for its partner at the same time (and give your more opportunities to catch a Shadow Pokemon).
  • Body Slam is probably the best Normal move Eevee has access to during main game and I think it can learn it early on via the Move Tutor in Agate Village.
  • Bite would likely be your go-to coverage simply because Eevee learns in via level-up.
And from there you have some options/alternatives:
  • Quick Attack may not be strong but it's a higher priority move and unless you grind Eevee to higher levels its likely not going to be the first to attack. Also does nice chip damage when Body Slam is too strong.
  • Protect of course which can be bought from Realgam Tower. Protect will always block any attacks targeting Eevee on the turn used, the downside is that each time you try using it consecutively the chance of success goes down by half. Sort of meant to be a way for Eevee to guard itself while its partner takes care of the work or uses a move that targets all Pokemon on the field.
  • Shadow Ball is an addition/alternative to Bite for Type coverage, you get it somewhere in the Snagem Hideout.
  • Double Team is an addition/alternative to Sand-Attack if you only care about Eevee and want it to start dodging all opponent's moves from the get-go. You get it by defeating Justy.
  • Substitute is an alternative to Protect if you think it'll last longer and want to have a way to always put a shield up between Eevee and opponent's. It's also an Agate Village Tutor move so can get it at the same time as Body Slam. But just remember if takes 1/4th of its HP and since all battles are double battles, if the opponent's first Pokemon breaks the Substitute it leaves Eevee open for their second Pokemon's attack.
Sadly any of other suggestion is locked behind late game/post game locations & tournaments. For example you can get the TMs for Iron Tail by beating Realgam Tower tournament Round 3 and Return in Round 4 of the Orre Colosseum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)