Unpopular opinions

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just like how SWSH had every Kanto Pokemon... Oh wait.

Just stop the cope. It's over. Unless they decide to go all-out and pull an "Everyone is here!" for a major anniversary USUM will remain the last game where you can have every existing Pokemon up to that point on one file
I will be interested to see when BDSP are released how the whole Dexit thing will shake out with WiFi battles and such.

Just stop the cope. It's over. Unless they decide to go all-out and pull an "Everyone is here!" for a major anniversary USUM will remain the last game where you can have every existing Pokemon up to that point on one file
Or you could stop with your own coping and gamefreak shitting and try to connect the dots.
The "dexit" as "the games won't have all pokemon for variety" died ages ago.

It doesn't take a gamefreak apologist to do it, come on, I get this is smogon but...

Did Let's Go have any unique animations from USUM that returned in SwSh? Not counting the walking animations because those already existed. From my understanding, the problematic new animations in Sword and Shield had to do with Camp (which I think reused a lot of Amie animations, but still had some new ones?) and Dynamaxing, neither of which existed in Let's Go, so Kanto mons wouldn't have any technical advantage due to already existing on the Switch. SwSh also seems to render stuff like textures differently, so I don't think you could even make the argument that they were less effort to texture.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is it an unpopular opinion to really like Sword and Shield, and to really like the graphics, and to not care about the dex cut? I like gen 8. It's not without its flaws, such as dynamax (literally the worst mechanic Gamefreak has invented), but the battle themes are hype, the story was ok, the character writing was amazing. I felt like I was playing with beings with emotions and it was good.
Personally, while it may be a bit of an unpopular opinion, you're not alone in liking Sword and Shield. I won't deny that the game is flawed, but I loved it so much myself. The atmosphere around Galar and its gym battles was absolutely amazing and I loved the whole sports culture around battling Sword and Shield had, really made the Gym Challenge feel like a much bigger deal this time around. And I loved the characters: yeah, the story was simple, but I agree about the character writing. Hop, Bede, Marnie, etc. were all great characters and had a lot of dynamics and personality as well as their own arcs which I feel was the biggest strength of Sword and Shield's adventure. Leon is one of my favorite Champions ever honestly.

The Wild Area concepts were also really fun, especially the DLC which really made me enjoy Sword and Shield all that much more. The Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra are fantastic in terms of exploration and feeling cohesive and natural, and exploring full fledged areas with Wild Pokemon from a full on 3D perspective was incredibly fun (I hope Legends: Arceus takes this concept and makes it even better). Plus the stuff like Dynamax Adventures and Restricted Sparring is quite fun to do every now and then, and the QoL changes help with regards to preparing mons for battling and making the competitive/Battle Tower aspect less tedious than it used to be. For all the flaws the game has, the game has a lot of things that are so good about the game that I can never bring myself to truly dislike Sword and Shield: it's the most fun I've had playing Pokemon in a long time. I don't deny the game is flawed, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it all the same.

Also on a tangential note, but while Sword and Shield does have a lot of hate/divisive reception to it right now, I believe that will change in some years from now. Right now the people who "got into Pokemon" via Sword and Shield are still young kids, not actively engaged in online communities, but some day, when they're older and join the Internet more often, and we are some more generations into the future for Pokemon (like say, we're in Gen 10 or Gen 11 for example), those people will be singing the high praises about Sword and Shield and their nostalgia for it, and Sword and Shield will be praised and revered as a pinnacle of the franchise and one of the greatest Pokemon games. Considering how successful Sword and Shield were, even moreso than XY or DP, selling nearly on par with Gen 2, the nostalgia for Gen 8 will be very, very strong and we will have a massive number of Gen 8 nostalgics talking about how they really want Sword and Shield remakes (or maybe even Legends: Calyrex or something too): the magnitude of this will be even greater than what's going on with Gen 4 right now, possibly on par with Gen 2's nostalgia.

Yeah, the game is still flawed at the end of the day, but when it comes to nostalgia, that doesn't matter. Gen 2 is one of the most highly praised generations because of nostalgia alone, and to this day is praised so highly and considered by many to be the best, even though in actuality Gold and Silver, as well as HGSS, are very heavily flawed games that suffer from a lot of poor game design issues, but in the end, GSC/HGSS's awful game design and many flaws didn't stop them from being praised so highly because of the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses of many (keep in mind, I do like GSC and HGSS in spite of their poor game design). I fully expect Sword and Shield to reach a similar magnitude of praise and nostalgia someday years from now just as Gold and Silver and their remakes do to this day. It's still too recent right now to have reached that point, but some day, the tides will change and people will be talking about how much they love Sword and Shield while talking about how whatever new Pokemon game is out at that point doesn't hold a candle to Gen 8 and the Switch era.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I fully expect Sword and Shield to reach a similar magnitude of praise and nostalgia someday years from now just as Gold and Silver and their remakes do to this day. It's still too recent right now to have reached that point, but some day, the tides will change and people will be talking about how much they love Sword and Shield while talking about how whatever new Pokemon game is out at that point doesn't hold a candle to Gen 8 and the Switch era.
"BuT yOu DoN'T GeT iT, SwSH is OBJECTIVELY:tm: bAd aNd WiLl NeVeR bE LovEd"

-morons downing copium and willfully ignoring the history of the franchise's fan reception since gen 3

None of this shit stops me from hating what Pokemon has become since XY. And the fact that they've almost completely lost me by now. Sure, me, one person, doesn't matter in grand scheme of things. But's it not going to stop my bitching and maybe sometimes convincing others not to buy into the main series anymore. I'll put in all the bad word of mouth I need to, when needed and when I feel like it.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
None of this shit stops me from hating what Pokemon has become since XY. And the fact that they've almost completely lost me by now. Sure, me, one person, doesn't matter in grand scheme of things. But's it not going to stop my bitching and maybe sometimes convincing others not to buy into the main series anymore. I'll put in all the bad word of mouth I need to, when needed and when I feel like it.
No offense buddy, but it seems to me at this point based on this post and several ones you've made before that this franchise sincerely isn't for you anymore. I mean this in all sincerity, but I think it is better at this point for you to simply quit the franchise. There is no point in moping around about a series that no longer has you liking it the way it used to. All you're succeeding in doing at this point is making yourself unhappy and actively making things worse for yourself.

As for you "bitching" and "convincing others not to buy into the games", what good will come out of that? I sincerely implore you to ask yourself what you have to gain from doing that. The former just serves to hurt yourself and drive you further into unhappiness, and the latter is also pretty petty and I wouldn't recommend it. I mean this in general, but there are many games and media that I do not like, but it is not my place to police whether other people buy and enjoy stuff I don't like, and odds are there may be some people, many even, who do genuinely like and enjoy the newer Pokemon games, for example, and who am I to stop them? If other people want to buy and enjoy the games, that's entirely on them. I mean this in general, but even if I dislike a piece of media or the direction a franchise is going, that doesn't mean I will try to convince other not to buy it if they are still interested and want to buy it. Plus there are many kids out there who probably do enjoy the newer games rn, and I'm not one to stop them from having fun. Personally I just express my dislike and move on.

Seriously, I suggest simply quitting at this point. You're not really doing anyone a favor by continuing to rant about it and spreading negativity. And the fact that they've almost completely lost you at this point further suggests to me that it's time for you to move on and quit this franchise. I don't really think anything The Pokemon Company does going forward will change that, unfortunately. I really believe that by dropping this franchise altogether you'll probably be happier at that rate.

It's better to focus on things that do make you happy in life than to focus on what doesn't make you happy. Personally, if something doesn't make me happy anymore, I just abandon it and move on to other things. Continuing to rant about things that don't make you happy is sincerely not healthy and only serves to make things worse for yourself.

No offense buddy, but it seems to me at this point based on this post and several ones you've made before that this franchise sincerely isn't for you anymore. I mean this in all sincerity, but I think it is better at this point for you to simply quit the franchise. There is no point in moping around about a series that no longer has you liking it the way it used to. All you're succeeding in doing at this point is making yourself unhappy and actively making things worse for yourself.

As for you "bitching" and "convincing others not to buy into the games", what good will come out of that? I sincerely implore you to ask yourself what you have to gain from doing that. The former just serves to hurt yourself and drive you further into unhappiness, and the latter is also pretty petty and I wouldn't recommend it. I mean this in general, but there are many games and media that I do not like, but it is not my place to police whether other people buy and enjoy stuff I don't like, and odds are there may be some people, many even, who do genuinely like and enjoy the newer Pokemon games, for example, and who am I to stop them? If other people want to buy and enjoy the games, that's entirely on them. I mean this in general, but even if I dislike a piece of media or the direction a franchise is going, that doesn't mean I will try to convince other not to buy it if they are still interested and want to buy it. Plus there are many kids out there who probably do enjoy the newer games rn, and I'm not one to stop them from having fun. Personally I just express my dislike and move on.

Seriously, I suggest simply quitting at this point. You're not really doing anyone a favor by continuing to rant about it and spreading negativity. And the fact that they've almost completely lost you at this point further suggests to me that it's time for you to move on and quit this franchise. I don't really think anything The Pokemon Company does going forward will change that, unfortunately. I really believe that by dropping this franchise altogether you'll probably be happier at that rate.

It's better to focus on things that do make you happy in life than to focus on what doesn't make you happy. Personally, if something doesn't make me happy anymore, I just abandon it and move on to other things. Continuing to rant about things that don't make you happy is sincerely not healthy and only serves to make things worse for yourself.
Not the one this is directly addressed to. Don't care.

To put it bluntly, I feel like I've moved on as far as I can. Haven't played the newest games, don't carry an expectation of liking future games. I have tried to look for other games I can put myself into like I used to with pokemon. I have failed quite a lot, because every other stupid series is also reinventing itself and replacing what I find interesting with what I do not. I am tired of failing. "Just don't constantly think about your main interest" is not something that as an autistic person I am capable of doing.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.

His profile says that he enjoys ROM hacks a lot, which is what I would personally suggest for anyone who likes Pokémon but doesn't like the newer games.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
"BuT yOu DoN'T GeT iT, SwSH is OBJECTIVELY:tm: bAd aNd WiLl NeVeR bE LovEd"

-morons downing copium and willfully ignoring the history of the franchise's fan reception since gen 3
bro this is smogon not reddit. the only "cope" and "seethe" on this site is my tournament opponents seething and coping with the fact that i am simply better than them at pokemon

Not the one this is directly addressed to. Don't care.

To put it bluntly, I feel like I've moved on as far as I can. Haven't played the newest games, don't carry an expectation of liking future games. I have tried to look for other games I can put myself into like I used to with pokemon. I have failed quite a lot, because every other stupid series is also reinventing itself and replacing what I find interesting with what I do not. I am tired of failing. "Just don't constantly think about your main interest" is not something that as an autistic person I am capable of doing.
This is a pretty understandable feeling. When a series that grabbed you in every way drops the ball and now you share more disdain with it than more flawed products (cough Temtem).

I think this is why I can't help but feel this way about the anime. I don't watch it anymore, but it's a topic that constantly keeps coming back bc of fan groups. "It's for kids" doesn't cut it, there are plenty of animation works right now also "for kids" that I find more engaging and keep coming back to them despite being in my 20s, yet the anime of my favorite franchise can't. And when I see other official Pokemon animation like Generations, Twilight Wings or Poketoons; that get me this feeling of wonder and enjoyment and the main anime can't even do a fraction of that, I'm disappointed...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I just wish I could find Poketoons in English, because YT's translater is jank.
I'm surprised it's taking so long to release the Pancham episode in English as that's just narration, no lip flaps to match. However the new Poketoons does have lip flaps to match so will probably take some time to do. Then again Twilight Wings had a relatively short turn around time, maybe they don't consider Poketoons a high priority? Or, maybe they'll do with them like they did with Generations, wait till all episodes are out and then translate & release them all nearly at the same time (except now it would be in reverse with the Japanese episodes coming out first than the English; or should that be considered the norm and it was Generations (& Origins) that did things reversed?).

The recent Poketoons vid is an....incredibly generic slice of life anime
Which I'm not really into the genre, nor was interested in Pokemon due to that

So I guess my unpopular opinion is.....I'm indifferent to it
Though dog Charizard is great....even with the Char overuse

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The recent Poketoons vid is an....incredibly generic slice of life anime
Which I'm not really into the genre, nor was interested in Pokemon due to that

So I guess my unpopular opinion is.....I'm indifferent to it
Though dog Charizard is great....even with the Char overuse
No, I got the same vibe. I do like the characters, and isolated it's a cute short adventure... but it's nothing we haven't seen before. It feels like an episode 1 which just exists to set up the character, a small bit of what they're capable of, and the start of their journey... except it's not a series. It's a one shot. We're not going to get an episode 2 where she reaches her first town and has to stop a batch of thieves attacking the Pokemon Center. We're not getting an episode 3 where she actually catches her first Pokemon as a trainer normally would and have a misadventure with that Pokemon. We're not going to see all the different people she'll encounter and some possibly travel along with for a time. Not going to see all the interesting locations, both recognizable from the games or newly made. Not going to see her battle the Pokemon League the way the player does and seeing interacting with the League Trainers and other notable NPCs. It's just the start of the journey.

And yes Truant Charizard is pretty good, though I never understood whenever a character tries giving a command to a friend/other family member's Pokemon they act as if the Pokemon won't listen just because they aren't the trainer; as if the Pokemon doesn't have a will of its own. Charizard wasn't listening to her because it belonged to her father, it wasn't listening because before that point she was an inexperienced kid; it wasn't until seeing the genuine determination in her eyes did Charizard than decide to lend her its power, and only to peacefully resolve the conflict because as soon as they landed it was back to lazing about.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Even the people who made Lucario apparently don't like him, because they did him dirty with that Mega Evolution design. It's so bad dude.
The even worse (but more plausible) alternative is that the person who created it sat back, heaved a sigh of satisfaction, and said "ahhh, look at that. It's perfect" then passed it along to his boss, who marked it "no revision needed" and then gave it to an appalled game renderer

I never understood what the appeal of Marnie was. From my experience playing the game, she one of, if not the most disliked character in SwSh. My big issue with her is that she no relevance until the 7th gym despite being introduced to her at the very beginning. I honestly forgot she existed until my arrival of myself for the 7th gym badge. Even during the Rose fiasco, she is still background character despite providing the support for the player with Team Yell.

Granted, I know that SwSh isn’t known for its stories and character, but I find Marnie bad for the aforementioned reasons above. If I have to pick a favorite SwSh character it would be Sonia. Sonia goes from hesitating to go on an adventure to becoming a Professor after really getting interested in the lore of the Darkest Day, to the point of becoming the new professor, something we’ve never seen in a Pokémon game before. My second favorite character is Hop, though “ favorite “ might be a bit too much. I like his character arc in trying to distinguish himself from his brother and player and how he tries different team comps to improve and at the ends he decides to be a Professor as a result. My problems lie in the gameplay. Too often does he interrupt you while your exploring to show you info you already know or that you don’t need an explanation on, and that’s not going through all the dialogue he states during the battles with you, especially with type advantages. People thought the hand holding in SM was bad? Hop makes it look so much more tolerable in SwSh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 9)