Why do you like pokemon?

Why do you like pokemon?

Seriously, it's so wrong but we love it! Making little creatures battle against each other because it's fun? You know how that sounds like.

Btw guys, this is my first post. And my answer for this question is that i prefer to think that they could destroy humans if they wanted to, and they didn't. Theres a reason!
partido-pokemon-papel-de-parede-3554x1999_53.jpg

Jeong

Banned deucer.
My answer is very basic, I like it because competitively it is a game of strategy, of thinking about each move. As they have already said, it is similar to chess, playing offensively or more defensively. Over the years it is difficult to maintain the level or taste for the game, but I still like it but I take it more calmly.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
For the game, its the only pvp turn-based game that neither 1- requires you to spend 400 bucks on a deck to be competitive 2- is chess. Kinda sad when you think about it :(

For the franchise, what drew me in as a kid mustve been "cool looking creatures" considering my pokemon phase started right after my dinosaur phase. And then it never stopped lol. I can't even say why I like the franchise so much at this point, it's been part of my life for so long that I can't really picture a world without it.

I honestly don’t know why I still like this game. I am sure I always will. For me it is the combination of chess-lite like strategy, team building creativity, and the fact that some pokemon are super cute (Mew) and some are super badass (Raikou, Scizor, Zapdos)
Ikr!! I love all pokemon except Hypno. Mostly because they look VERY cool or cute. I'm not sure why i'm playing this game too, i was used to play the classic games and stop right after finishing, then getting back to play and repeat the process, but now i'm so fired up to play and i don't know why.

My answer is very basic, I like it because competitively it is a game of strategy, of thinking about each move. As they have already said, it is similar to chess, playing offensively or more defensively. Over the years it is difficult to maintain the level or taste for the game, but I still like it but I take it more calmly.
I'm a lover of strategy like you and this game has much to offer, you need to think beyond to read the opponent like a book and that's one of the most cool parts of it!

For the game, its the only pvp turn-based game that neither 1- requires you to spend 400 bucks on a deck to be competitive 2- is chess. Kinda sad when you think about it :(

For the franchise, what drew me in as a kid mustve been "cool looking creatures" considering my pokemon phase started right after my dinosaur phase. And then it never stopped lol. I can't even say why I like the franchise so much at this point, it's been part of my life for so long that I can't really picture a world without it.
For real. This game is great because it doesn't need to change the name or how pokemon look like to exist, you don't need to spend ur money to get something or some skin, that's really good. I was used to think that pokemon were dinosaurs, LOL

Daki

is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I don't really know tbh, sometimes I'm just nostalgic and I think back to the time when I was a kid and I received my first game or the time when I played cards at school.
I'm very attached to the feelings and memories I made while I was younger and it's one of the main reason of my presence on PS!

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
the games ive never played and i only care about them if their release have an effect on battling (new mons, new mechanics, etc). battling online is fun and all that, but you guys are a huge reason im still here this community is easily one of the best online communities ive been in pretty much ever. im dont really know anyone in particular like irl but no matter where i am (main competative forums, petmods, oms, smogoff, cong, bbp, cap you name it) i see a bunch of really cool people that i share interests and passions with. i probably wouldnt be here today because of yall :heart: (who am i to say all this nobody knows me. well i want to put it somewhere and it might as well be here)

also, the pokemon themselves are cool and cute and everything lol

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
pokemon has evolved and devolved and evolved again ultimately into a game of chess, strategy as some people have already mentioned, for me

i remember a time when i was using a battle calculator for specific damage calcs, doing that kind of thing now seems even more absurd considering there are just so many ways to build a pokemon team anymore, as if there weren't infinite ways already!!

this game will always be nostalgic for me as i fondly remember playing it when i was 8yo in 1998, perhaps the best christmas gift i got that year!! now i can stomp on kids at tournaments but in the end it's all in good fun because we share a common love of the game~

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Here's to hoping my laptop doesn't die mid-post. If the post abruptly ends for whatever reason, you know why.

So, uh, Pokémon... it's a franchise that exists. What can I say about it? It's sold like hotcakes over 25 years all across the world, there's almost 1,000 different Pokémon in existence, and... I feel like I'm forgetting something. Oh, yeah. Game Freak's slowly turning into a bunch of anti-consumerist degenerates that even E.A. would laugh at.

My interest in Pokémon has dropped off a cliff the size of the Grand Canyon in the United States over the past two or three years, the main series games being the primary reason why. In their defense, Game Freak isn't all bad, and most of the issues I have with recent games are actually to blame the Nintendo Switch for, not the developers. I'd actually say I have more good things to say about Game Freak than bad things, even. That being said, it's been getting harder and harder for me to enjoy the new main series installments, as has been the case for many people. The good news about this, though, is that I've had the chance to go back more frequently than ever before in an effort to "return to my roots", if you will, and hopefully revive my interest in the franchise as a whole.

I started gaining interest in Pokémon in late 2010 going into 2011, at some point during the third grade when my friends introduced me to the games and trading cards. Most of them have all been a blast to play, with some specific picks like B2W2 and ORAS being among my favorite in the entire franchise. But if you guys really get to know me, you'll quickly find that there's one Pokémon product that I treasure above all else, one that I quite frankly shouldn't love as much as I do.

1642997159130.png

This game. Oh my gosh, this game. Quite possibly the most specific "favorite video game" pick I've ever seen, I cannot put into words the impact that this game has had on my life. There's a reason the game's antagonist is my profile icon. There's a reason I always compare other games to the influence that this game had on my introduction to Pokémon. Let me cut to the chase: I loved Guardian Signs so much as a kid that I ended up playing the entire trilogy in backwards order so I could experience the games that led up to it. The entire trilogy is incredibly under-appreciated, but there's just something about the third installment that speaks to me on a personal level. Some people call, say, Diamond & Pearl "their" Pokémon game, if that makes sense, or maybe Ruby & Sapphire, or X & Y, or Mystery Dungeon 2, whatever game it may be. For me... Guardian Signs is my game, and the Oblivia region is my home away from home.

Things don't stop there, however. As the years went by and more and more Pokémon stuff kept coming out, I would always go back to my one true comfort game, but I started noticing things about the game that hit a little too close to home at first. I knew all along that me and the male protagonist shared a first name, which was always a funny coincidence, but then other things started popping up that constantly reminded me of other parts of my childhood. From the recurring island theme in some of my favorite games like Wii Sports Resort, to the other protagonist being named after the season I was born in, to the appearance of every single one of the Pokémon I had fond memories of growing up, even all the way to more specific things like snowy mountain areas being a pain in the rear, or my rising liking of the color blue... it looked more and more as if there was someone or something out there in the cosmos that knew I existed and was like "You know what, this is his game."

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs had the honor of celebrating its 10th anniversary in North America (I live in the U.S.) during the exact period when my interest in the rest of Pokémon's I.P. began to drop and my need for comfort only kept rising. This chart I made at one point last week explains it all. The projections and different interest lines speak for themselves.

(Insert file here later when I get the chance, it's not on my laptop for some reason)

I apologize for this post being so long, but I truly appreciate having the chance to drop by and talk about the game that's almost single-handedly kept my interest in the world's highest-grossing media franchise alive for this long. It's gotten to the point where I'm genuinely convinced this dude might not be based off of me (after all, how could a game developer who doesn't know me pull something that off?), per sé, but... I don't know. I just... this feeling I have about this game isn't like anything I've ever felt before. I've been looking for my place in the Pokémon community for so long now, but is it perhaps possible that the answer's been right in front of me all along, as a super-fan of this game? What do you guys think?

Cute and nice franchise but I hate what GameFreak is doing to it with less and less effort into the games each gen.
At this point, I may as well high tail it and become a Demi-Shark at this point since I hear SMT has very good games and 5 really interests me.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
if i catch anyone sneakily trying to change the topic from pokemon to smt or any other franchise im going to be VERY DISAPPOINTED. really grinds my gears

anw pokemon is pretty cool. i think it rly built on that love people had for tamagotchis LOL remember those? lil guys, they would like hatch and eat and die.. aaah...

Mathy

F░U░R░R░E░T░ I░N░ B░I░O░
is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
given that my other favorite franchise is Touhou, I think i like game franchises with massive casts of cute and memorable characters and a dedicated fanbase
and the battle system is sort of fun

Personally, I was drawn into Pokemon because of how it's this sort of idealized world where humans and nature coexist in harmony (or as close to it as possible) and I like dreaming about what it would be like to live in that kind of universe. And that kind of spiraled into me getting into competitive Pokemon and whatnot :D

TrRizzo09

formerly Pkmn trainer Rizzo
Love and hate it. The competitive is almost full of RNG, I dropped showdown out many times but there's something that attracts me. I don't know what is it about, but I'm still here, trying to improve day after day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)