Metagame 1v1 Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I can see why Yung Dramps says the suspect makes people angry. In fact that point makes a lot of sense, I too think a Kyurem-Black or even Marshadow suspect is more important. But that doesn't take away the fact that we need to focus on the current suspect test.

The way things are going now, nobody really cares about the suspect test going on, which is a huge mistake because you could actually end up with an undesirable meta.

Indeed Kentari you can't effectively use DeoD right now because of Marshadow. But instead of complaining about that let's get on the ladder, get reqs and ban Deoxys-Defense together.
Yep, I see where you're going. Very well. Let's try to stay focused. I'm too bad at this format to get reqs, but for those who do plan to get reqs/already got them, please, vote to ban Deoxys-D! It's a really stupid, un-healthy stall mon, and while it may not seem much due to Marshadow being omnipresent, once that guy goes, it's gonna get out of hand really quickly.

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
I've been meaning to make this post for a while, but oh well. I'm working on getting reqs and when if I get them, currently, I'm leaning towards no ban on Deo-D.

Wait, before you get your torches and pitchforks, hear me out. Firstly, it is really tough to use in a meta where Marshadow is on every other team. If it really is that broken without Marshadow, we can re-suspect it later if o gets banned, which there is no guarantee of. I don't think anyone will disagree Marshadow makes it a lot worse, and ban it based on the current meta.

Secondly, even without Marshadow, I still don't think Deo-D is broken. The main argument I've seen for a ban is that it has multiple different sets, all of them really good, and something that beats one set may not beat all of them. Cough Kyurem-Black Cough. Sorry, what I meant to say was that while it is unpredictable, that in of itself is not an argument for being overpowered, or even unhealthy. As far as I've seen, there are two main Deo-D sets, pp stall and countercoat. Both are fairly easy to work around once you know the set. For pp stall, just taunt it. There are a good of good taunters in the current meta like: Mgyara, Koko, etc. Or, you could use mons with super-effective attacks that outspeed like: Marshadow, Porygon-Z, Meloetta, Greninja, Mimikyu, Mgar, etc. Plus random crust happen often enough to not always consistently win with this set if the opponent doesn't bring anything to beat it. The countercoat set is even easier to play around. IMO, it's not even that great of a set. Anything with sub, anything that can ohko it, or anything that can use another attack to put it in range of its most powerful attack can beat it. I could list Pokémon, but this post is getting long enough as is. Plus, Kyurem-Black has at least five sets, a lot of them that have very diffenent checks, and that's not being suspected. But that's a topic for another time.

Yep, I see where you're going. Very well. Let's try to stay focused. I'm too bad at this format to get reqs, but for those who do plan to get reqs/already got them, please, vote to ban Deoxys-D! It's a really stupid, un-healthy stall mon, and while it may not seem much due to Marshadow being omnipresent, once that guy goes, it's gonna get out of hand really quickly.
I want to respond to this post in particular because I agree that there is a pro-ban arguement to be made for Deo-D. However, this post is not a good argument to ban it. Two things to respond to.

1: "Deo-D is a really stupid, unhealthy stall-mon." This makes it sound like being a stall-mon inherently makes it unhealthy, or at least, being a stall-mon is inherently bad. Oh no! Better ban Mvenusaur, Quagsire, Msableye, Ferrothorn, Mbro, Jumpluff, Whimsicott, Dusclops, Umbreon, Chansey, etc. l think my point has been made. Next.

2: "It will get out of hand really quickly when Marshadow goes." I already responded to this train of thought above, but basically, it's bad to assume Marshadow is going to be banned, and an even bigger mistake to ban it based on the current meta, where is isn't as good. Re-tests are a thing you know. Ban based on the current meta, not a theoretical future one.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I've been meaning to make this post for a while, but oh well. I'm working on getting reqs and when if I get them, currently, I'm leaning towards no ban on Deo-D.

Wait, before you get your torches and pitchforks, hear me out. Firstly, it is really tough to use in a meta where Marshadow is on every other team. If it really is that broken without Marshadow, we can re-suspect it later if o gets banned, which there is no guarantee of. I don't think anyone will disagree Marshadow makes it a lot worse, and ban it based on the current meta.

Secondly, even without Marshadow, I still don't think Deo-D is broken. The main argument I've seen for a ban is that it has multiple different sets, all of them really good, and something that beats one set may not beat all of them. Cough Kyurem-Black Cough. Sorry, what I meant to say was that while it is unpredictable, that in of itself is not an argument for being overpowered, or even unhealthy. As far as I've seen, there are two main Deo-D sets, pp stall and countercoat. Both are fairly easy to work around once you know the set. For pp stall, just taunt it. There are a good of good taunters in the current meta like: Mgyara, Koko, etc. Or, you could use mons with super-effective attacks that outspeed like: Marshadow, Porygon-Z, Meloetta, Greninja, Mimikyu, Mgar, etc. Plus random crust happen often enough to not always consistently win with this set if the opponent doesn't bring anything to beat it. The countercoat set is even easier to play around. IMO, it's not even that great of a set. Anything with sub, anything that can ohko it, or anything that can use another attack to put it in range of its most powerful attack can beat it. I could list Pokémon, but this post is getting long enough as is. Plus, Kyurem-Black has at least five sets, a lot of them that have very diffenent checks, and that's not being suspected. But that's a topic for another time.

I want to respond to this post in particular because I agree that there is a pro-ban arguement to be made for Deo-D. However, this post is not a good argument to ban it. Two things to respond to.

1: "Deo-D is a really stupid, unhealthy stall-mon." This makes it sound like being a stall-mon inherently makes it unhealthy, or at least, being a stall-mon is inherently bad. Oh no! Better ban Mvenusaur, Quagsire, Msableye, Ferrothorn, Mbro, Jumpluff, Whimsicott, Dusclops, Umbreon, Chansey, etc. l think my point has been made. Next.

2: "It will get out of hand really quickly when Marshadow goes." I already responded to this train of thought above, but basically, it's bad to assume Marshadow is going to be banned, and an even bigger mistake to ban it based on the current meta, where is isn't as good. Re-tests are a thing you know. Ban based on the current meta, not a theoretical future one.
Maybe it isn't 100% guaranteed, but the likelyhood of a Marshadow ban is extremely likely at this point. It's at least going to be suspected, we know that for sure. And you can't deny that if/when it goes, Deoxys-Defense usage will go up. I still think it should be banned due to being more versatile than other stallers, which usually suffer from being linear and predictable in terms of movesets.

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
I've made my point about the suspect, so instead of continuing that discussion, I'll talk about a set I've been using recently to good success.

Magnezone @ Electrium Z
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Electroweb
- Thunder
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Flash Cannon

This set was originally made to lure in Mlop, as for some reason it it so common on the ladder, and I had a team incredibly weak to it. But it's proved useful in a few other situations, helping vs mons that rely on fake out to beat mag and helping beat z-move mons by making them waste their z-move if predicted correctly. It's mostly a lure, but with Mlop for some reason really popular on the ladder, it's not awful.

Tol

Retirement house
tapulele.gif tapu_fini_by_alolan_sprites-dat7l9g.gif tapu_koko_by_alolan_sprites-dat7l07.giftapu_bulu_by_alolan_sprites-dat7l68.gif
(insert strange intro paragraph here)
GUARDIANS OF ALOLA
Let's all hope this post doesn't blow up in my face...
1. Tapu Koko
tapu_koko_by_alolan_sprites-dat7l07.gif
Tapu Koko is the most used Guardian in 1v1, and as such it is first on my list. Tapu Koko has two main sets and one minor one. (As well as some set made by UnleashOurPassion that I've heard about but never actually seen.)

1. SPECIAL ELECTRIUM Z: This set relies on Tapu Koko's Electric Terrain, Charge, and Electrium Z to nuke the shit out of pretty much anything that doesn't resist it, as well as having Taunt to beat out popular stallers.
Generic Sweeper (Tapu Koko) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Taunt
- Charge
- Substitute

2. PHYSICAL ELECTRIUM Z: Literally the same thing as the last one, but physical and thus used to take out things with a high Special Defense.
Physical Sweeper (Tapu Koko) @ Electrium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Taunt
- Charge
- Substitute

3. FLYINIUM Z: This set is used to bait out common Grass types that can wall a Gigavolt Havoc, killing them with Z-Brave Bird, and using Z-Mirror Move to kill many other threats, especially Dragons and Ghosts.
Tapu Baito (Tapu Koko) @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Mirror Move
- Taunt
- Substitute

2. Tapu Lele
tapulele.gif
Tapu Lele is the second most-used Guardian in 1v1, and has three sets. It is also my personal favorite, due to its ability to take out many common meta mons such as Kyurem-Black, Mega Gyarados, Tapu Koko, and Mega Charizard X.

1. PSYCHIUM Z: A very powerful, Psychic Terrain boosted Z-Move from one of the better special attackers in the game. Enough said. Even though specs is superior in every way possible.
Worse Than Specs (Tapu Lele) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Protect

2. CHOICE SCARF: A set that has risen in popularity with Marshadow's introduction, it has enough speed and power, even without a power boosting item, to be viable.
Inferior Lele (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunder

3. CHOICE SPECS: This particular set is my favorite, as it is able to take on meta mons like Gyarados, Sableye, and some Sturdies. Also, it accounted for about 11% of all Lele usage in the last set of usage statistics, so don't tell me it's just a non-used set that I like. (11% was enough to be the second-most used.)
The Ataris (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpA
Modest Nature
- Thunder/Focus Blast
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

3. TAPU FINI
tapu_fini_by_alolan_sprites-dat7l9g.gif
Tapu Fini is one of the more underrated Guardians, but has a role in 1v1 as a bulky special attacker. It has two main sets.

1. WATERIUM Z: Far and away the best Fini set, this uses Z-Rain Dance and Z-Hydro Pump to attack.
Bleachers (Tapu Fini) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 58 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Rain Dance

2. CHOICE SPECS: A secondary set used to counter some of Fini's usual checks, this set is less seen.
Tapu Finished (Tapu Fini) @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Moonblast
- Hyper Beam

4. Tapu Bulu
tapu_bulu_by_alolan_sprites-dat7l68.gif
Tapu Bulu is probably the least-used, and worst, Guardian. That's not to say it doesn't have its niche, but...
EDIT: "
[15:40] Tapu Baelu: ull get a like
[15:40] Tapu Baelu: when u respect bulu"
Bulu is a great mon that no one uses because it is too good for them and this meta in general.

1. GRASSIUM Z: The best set out of a bad lot, Grassium takes advantage of Bulu's insane physical damage to pack a serious punch.
Rent (Tapu Bulu) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 Def
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

2. CHOICE SCARF: Scarfed Bulu is there for the same reason Specs Fini is, to get around Bulu's usual counters. I.e., it kills Zards.
Mad Bull (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn

(Insert awkward closing paragraph here)
Thanks for reading,

T G C
701.gif
282.gif 332.gif

Attachments

Last edited:

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
4. Tapu Bulu
View attachment 86035
Tapu Bulu is probably the least-used, and worst, Guardian. That's not to say it doesn't have its niche, but...

1. GRASSIUM Z: The best set out of a bad lot, Grassium takes advantage of Bulu's insane physical damage to pack a serious punch.
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

2. CHOICE SCARF: Scarfed Bulu is there for the same reason Specs Fini is, to get around Bulu's usual counters. I.e., it kills Zards.
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn
While I agree with everything else, I have to disagree with you saying my boy Tapu Bulu is the worst guardian. It always wins against Slowbro, Mega Gyarados, Mimikyu using Rock Tomb, Donphan, Golem (I would personally run Bulk Up + Leech Seed instead), and all 3 of other guardian deities one on one. Also with around 180-200 EVs, (while putting the rest which is enough to outspeed Mimikyu after Rock Tomb) you can live Marshadow's SS7SS and retaliate.

Otherwise, excellent post.

Tol

Retirement house
While I agree with everything else, I have to disagree with you saying my boy Tapu Bulu is the worst guardian. It always wins against Slowbro, Mega Gyarados, Mimikyu using Rock Tomb, Donphan, Golem (I would personally run Bulk Up + Leech Seed instead), and all 3 of other guardian deities one on one. Also with around 180-200 EVs, (while putting the rest which is enough to outspeed Mimikyu after Rock Tomb) you can live Marshadow's SS7SS and retaliate.

Otherwise, excellent post.
I am open to any sets that you want me to add, just PM me on Showdown with the set and I'll edit my post. This goes for everybody that wants me to add their set.
[15:47] Tapu Baelu:the dank man rngisfatal hath defended the god himself

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Introduction to Mega Aggron in Sun and Moon

Preface:
As every Pokemon player knows this generation Game Freak made the decision to release several mega stones periodically after the games original release. This decision has shaken meta games as drastic shifts in what's relevant have been occurring ever since the original release of Sun and Moon. While many 1v1 powerhouses such as Mega Charizard X / Y, Mega Gyarados, and Mega Metagross were introduced at the beginning of the meta, and have had time to establish themselves as central pillars of the meta - a few kings of the sixth generation have been left behind. The greatest example of this heinous mistreatment is M-Aggron who since his release, even if only a few days ago, has been grossly underused. With this post I plan on explaining what exactly makes Mega Aggron a true force in the 1v1 tier, along with examining new challenges the seventh generation have created for this fallen king.

Analysis:
Mega Aggron is a very interesting Pokémon. One of the first things that comes to mind when someone thinks about Mega Aggron is its monstrous Defense stat, and while those people aren’t wrong in noticing the massive 230 Defense stat they often overlook an impressive 140 Attack stat that makes Mega Aggron one of the Hardest hitters in the tier. Aggron has a small but efficient move pool that allows for it to succeed in a variety of situations. Effective attacking moves including: Heavy Slam, Head Smash, Avalanche, and Earthquake. Utility Moves including: Metal Burst, Curse, Taunt, and Rest. I will say other moves are options on Aggron like Toxic or Fire Punch, I just find most of them to be to niche to really worry about/consider using. On top of a workable move pool Aggron also has two great abilities in Sturdy and Filter allowing Aggron to avoid being knocked out in 1 hard hitting move or by 2 hits of a weak non stab hit. While Aggron doesn’t have a ton of Variation with regards to what sets it can run, it does its job and beats a sizable portion of the meta making it a very solid mon in the 1v1 tier.

New Challenges of the Seventh Generation:
The introduction of Z stones have made dealing with Mega Aggron a much more realistic possibility for several Pokemon. IF you don't know already Aggron has access to the move Metal Burst.
  • Metal Burst
The user retaliates with much greater power against the target that last inflicted damage on it.

Basically Metal Burst allows Mega Aggron to take a hit, and deal back 1.5x the damage. Meaning that when combined with Aggron's base ability Sturdy any mon that simply launches a powerful attack is doomed to fail. This strategy proved extremely effective in the sixth generation when items such as Choice Band and Choice Specs were extremely common as they increased offensive output. However, with the introduction of Z moves Pokemon now have the ability to hit Aggron with an attack that does minimal damage (20-25%) that allows them to avoid serious damage from Metal Burst, then proceed to use a Z Move attempting to KO without having to worry about Sturdy. Even though the rise of Z moves have given more mons a chance to defeat Aggron this generation it's still a difficult task. The sheer bulk of Mega Aggron combined with a solid ability in Filter (Damage by super-effective moves is reduced by 25%) still allows Aggron to tank lots of hits, which then allows Mega Aggron to take advantage of its monstrous attack stat (140) to pressure mons into actually trying to kill M-Aggron sooner rather than later as they have to worry about a strong Heavy Slam or Head Smash coming their way.

Another Change in the 1v1 tier is an increased number of fairies. The Tapus have taken the tier by storm (well three of them at least), along with a few other standouts like Primarina and Mimikyu. One Would assume an influx of fairies would increase the dominance of M-Aggron, but that sadly this isn't the case. Tapu Fini and Primarina can break Aggrons Sturdy with a fairy move, then follow it up with a water Z move for the KO. Tapu Koko becomes a 50/50 for Metal Burst sets on whether or not it subs turn 1 or goes straight for Z Move. Tapu Lele is the only silver lining when it comes to relevant Tapus as Mega Aggron easily wins this match up clicking Heavy Slam in regular form. Mimikyu is another new Fairy that loses to Mega Aggron, although it forces Aggron to run something like Taunt to stop Curse Mimikyu from winning. The final new top tier fairy is Magearna which can be handled by a Metal Burst set with the proper Evs. In the end the new fairies are a mixed bag for Aggron with several of them finding ways to win, which is something most people wouldn't assume when they first think about Aggron in the tier.

Sample Sets:

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metal Burst
- Heavy Slam
- Head Smash
- Taunt
Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 40 Def
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Head Smash
- Curse
- Rest

The first set takes advantage of the move Metal Burst which allows Aggron to take a hit and bounce back 1.5x the damage. It's EV'd with max HP to make Metal Burst dish back as much damage as possible, 80 SpDef letting you consistently take on Specs Magearna, and the rest was poured into Attack which allows Aggron to have a chance vs most Charizard variants. Taunt is used to beat Curse Mimikyu who is usually a decent M-Aggron lure. The Second set was created by MaceMaster and it takes advantage of how tanky Aggron is allowing it to abuse curse. The set lets Aggron reliably beat SD Mawile, Donphan, and Golem. Both sets are great strategies and worth a try.

Sample Team:

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD
Calm Nature
- Charm
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metal Burst
- Heavy Slam
- Head Smash
- Taunt

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 128 Atk / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Bug Buzz
- High Jump Kick
- Quiver Dance

Here is a squad I whipped up using M-Aggron. It takes advantage of the Mirror Coat set, which is a personal favorite of mine. I built with the bulky core of M-Aggron and M-Venusaur who are a solid pairing that cover a lot of the meta. Pheromosa was added as this specific set helps deal with bulky psychics, nonscarf Kyurem-b, and ground types with set up that bother the team. Overall it’s a pretty solid team, but definitely not perfect by any means. It won a little 8 man room tour (shout out to the 3 people who lost to hoppin hippo in a room tour) and went 10-0 on ladder (10 games on a fresh alt, so starting at the bottom) so I can’t complain. Not going into much more detail on the squad, just wanted to leave something fairly solid so that people could have the oppurtunity to mess around with Aggron first hand.

Conclusion:
While M-Aggron does have some new challenges this generation with the rise of Z Stones, it’s still a very solid mon. I’m not surprised its first rank in the VR is A, and I feel it definitely deserves the immediate respect. Now this post has already gone on long enough, so I won’t make this much longer. I’ll only ask that you take a few minutes, and at least try Aggron for yourself.

Side Note: As we've made the decision to suspect Deoxys-Defense I feel obliged to at least mention it. Earlier on when Dream Eater Gengar first brought Deoxys-D up as a potentially broken mon I made a post on it: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/1v1-deoxys-d-suspect-test.3587523/page-17#post-7408255 . Since that time my opinion on the matter hasn't changed much, so feel free to read if interested.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
(insert strange intro paragraph here)
GUARDIANS OF ALOLA
Let's all hope this post doesn't blow up in my face...
1. Tapu Koko
View attachment 86027
Tapu Koko is the most used Guardian in 1v1, and as such it is first on my list. Tapu Koko has two main sets and one minor one. (As well as some set made by UnleashOurPassion that I've heard about but never actually seen.)

1. SPECIAL ELECTRIUM Z: This set relies on Tapu Koko's Electric Terrain, Charge, and Electrium Z to nuke the shit out of pretty much anything that doesn't resist it, as well as having Taunt to beat out popular stallers.
Generic Sweeper (Tapu Koko) @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Taunt
- Charge
- Substitute

2. PHYSICAL ELECTRIUM Z: Literally the same thing as the last one, but physical and thus used to take out things with a high Special Defense.
Physical Sweeper (Tapu Koko) @ Electrium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Taunt
- Charge
- Substitute

3. FLYINIUM Z: This set is used to bait out common Grass types that can wall a Gigavolt Havoc, killing them with Z-Brave Bird, and using Z-Mirror Move to kill many other threats, especially Dragons and Ghosts.
Tapu Baito (Tapu Koko) @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Mirror Move
- Taunt
- Substitute

2. Tapu Lele
View attachment 86032
Tapu Lele is the second most-used Guardian in 1v1, and has three sets. It is also my personal favorite, due to its ability to take out many common meta mons such as Kyurem-Black, Mega Gyarados, Tapu Koko, and Mega Charizard X.

1. PSYCHIUM Z: A very powerful, Psychic Terrain boosted Z-Move from one of the better special attackers in the game. Enough said. Even though specs is superior in every way possible.
Worse Than Specs (Tapu Lele) @ Psychium Z
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Protect

2. CHOICE SCARF: A set that has risen in popularity with Marshadow's introduction, it has enough speed and power, even without a power boosting item, to be viable.
Inferior Lele (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunder

3. CHOICE SPECS: This particular set is my favorite, as it is able to take on meta mons like Gyarados, Sableye, and some Sturdies. Also, it accounted for about 11% of all Lele usage in the last set of usage statistics, so don't tell me it's just a non-used set that I like. (11% was enough to be the second-most used.)
The Ataris (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpA
Modest Nature
- Thunder/Focus Blast
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

3. TAPU FINI
View attachment 86033
Tapu Fini is one of the more underrated Guardians, but has a role in 1v1 as a bulky special attacker. It has two main sets.

1. WATERIUM Z: Far and away the best Fini set, this uses Z-Rain Dance and Z-Hydro Pump to attack.
Bleachers (Tapu Fini) @ Waterium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 58 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Rain Dance

2. CHOICE SPECS: A secondary set used to counter some of Fini's usual checks, this set is less seen.
Tapu Finished (Tapu Fini) @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Moonblast
- Hyper Beam

4. Tapu Bulu
View attachment 86035
EDIT: "
[15:40] Tapu Baelu: ull get a like
[15:40] Tapu Baelu: when u respect bulu"
Bulu is a great mon that no one uses because it is too good for them and this meta in general.

Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn

(Insert awkward closing paragraph here)
Thanks for reading,

A couple things to note:
Flyinium Koko is complete ass.
Fairium Koko is a good Kyurem lure.
Modest/Adamant natures are also viable on Koko Marshadow.
Psychium Lele NEEDS to run Reflect...
Protect Lele is bad.
Rock Slide>Stone Edge on Bulu for flinch hax and accuracy.
Hidden Power Fire>Megahorn on Bulu to OHKO Kartana and Durant.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
What I've learned these past few days: Don't try to make serious arguments for banning/suspecting stuff. Leave that shit to people like Gross Sweep who know what they're doing. but you can still bet that once the Deoxys-D and potential Marshadow suspects are done, I'm gonna continue my crusade against Kyurem-Black full force

Instead, back to what people like me for: Weird, underrated Pokemon. Although, in this case, it's gonna be more like mini-analysis of some Pokemon I like that more members of the forum have been discussing.

image.jpg

I'll admit, RNGIsFatal's Bulu post made me smile. The fact this guy is so criminally underused doesn't make me smile as much. As RNG stated, one cool niche Bulu has is being able to beat all the other Tapus. It's relatively low speed actually works out in it's favor, being able to override their terrains with it's Grassy Terrain. And in case you were wondering, no, Reflect Lele isn't an answer. It isn't even a 50/50.

252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele in Grassy Terrain through Reflect: 324-382 (115.3 - 135.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

However, there's another thing about Bulu I shockingly haven't seen anyone bring up. Have you noticed how it completely stops Mega Gyarados? Sure, Intimidate is kind of a bummer, but Gyarados can't really do anything back, as Bulu resists literally all of its main attacking options, except for Bounce. But then again... Bounce Mega Gyarados. No. Oh, and if you run Swords Dance, not even Intimidate is a concern. My personal favorite set is SD, due to killing nearly everything after a turn of set-up, and wiping out all non-resists with Bloom Doom regardless. Starting using it recently, and it's put in quite a bit of work. At least, as much work as it can under the command of a low-ladder scrub like me.

image.jpg

I've also been using Mega Aggron a little bit in the past few days. Honestly, I haven't been liking it much. Although, that's probably more due to the fact I ran Counter with Rock Slide (Counter and Head Smash is an illegal combo) while completely glossing over the totally superior Metal Burst, which IS compatible with Head Smash. But still, for me, it's too slow, and while Filter is neat, it still heavily struggles with Z-move users, which are 90% of the meta right now. Also, the fact it has shaky match-ups against a lot of the new Fairies despite being a pure Steel type is quite laughable. But then again, maybe if I use it correctly, it might actually pull it's weight. But for now, I'm just not seeing what other people see. When I use Metal Burst some, I'll update this post with my new thoughts.

EDIT: Ok, so I tried Metal Burst. Nah, still don't like it. Metal Bust often misses out on important KOes, and it's generally easy to play around. Also, it can't even beat Kyurem-Black if it runs Earth Power (which 40% do).
Right now, it's late, and I'm tired. But tune in next time, where I share another stupid meme set that's somehow even more preposterous than my Yawn Ursaring set.

Last edited:

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Thanks guys for supporting my opinions on Tapu Bulu.

As I was attempting to lurk and learn the meta, I attempted to use underrated 'mons, and Tapu Bulu was my first grip because I hate Gyarados with passion as much as I hate Kyurem-B.

Some stuff I wanted to clarify, was that Tapu Bulu actually has less chance of winning against Tapu Lele due to:

Modest Psyshock + Z
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 300-354 (87.2 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Timid Psychic + Z
252 SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 298-352 (86.6 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Modest Psychic + Z
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 328-387 (95.3 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

And Bulu does not run 252 HP for obvious reasons so I guess this p much means Bulu is not reliable way to deal with Lele.
Sorry to everyone who actually believed Tapu Bulu can beat Tapu Lele and ruined their milestone to 2600 COIL in suspect ladder.

Therefore allow me to address about my favorite 'mon with more helpful and accurate information this time:

Overview:

The typing already says "Kys" to Mega Gyarados: the most relevant coverage Mega Gyarados has are Waterfall, Crunch, Earthquake, and Outrage. Unless some weird shits like Flyinium Z happens, Bulu won't care about what the god squad memeber does and wreck it. This is what I found impressive about Tapu Bulu when I started using it. Over time, I noticed this guy's unique typing which lets it take on Tapu Koko, all Sturdy users barring Magnezone and Aggron, and most Water-types with exceptions of Greninja and rare Volcanion. After my 326th game in suspect ladder, in the moment when I was exhausted to the worst degree, I decided to 'meme' for the rest of the suspect period and forget about COIL. But when I built a new team around this guy, I could see the dim light of hope...

Enough about personal stories. Actually Tapu Bulu does better job tanking hits than it looks on calculator because of Grassy Terrain recovery. This means any opponent who does 50-ish damage to Tapu Bulu with the lowest roll will risk or just simply miss the chance to 2HKO it. Also, the terrain recovery is really handy because it almost entirely negates Wood Hammer recoil when hitting Substitutes, and this happens a lot when stuff like Marshadow or Tapu Koko attempts to block Bloom Doom. 70/115 physical bulk also does nice job punishing mediocre-strong attackers that cannot take out Tapu Bulu fast enough, and I would say the most primary victim is Mega Lopunny which can't KO Tapu Bulu with Fake Out + Giga Impact. Not many are aware of the fact that this guardian from the Ruins of Abundance has shameless 130 Attack stat, with its primary STAB move boosted by the terrain. Grass-type is currently underrated offensive typing in my opinion.

Movepool:

To be honest, the general movepool of this guy is very crappy. While it has solid STAB of Wood Hammer and Horn Leech, the only relevant coverage move it has are Zen Headbutt, Superpower, Stone Edge, and Rock Tomb. It got nice utility though, with setup moves being Bulk Up and Swords Dance, while it has access to Taunt and Leech Seed.

These are entirely sufficient ammunition for Tapu Bulu in 1v1 nonetheless.

Two STAB moves are very self explanatory with Grassium Z,
Zen Headbutt lets it take on Buzzwole and be a Jirachi and play flinch hax on Venusaur with Speed investment,
Superpower lets Bulu win against certain Steel-types,
and Rock Tomb lets it take care of that infamous and cancerous Curse Mimikyu while occasionally KOing poor Mega Pinsir that misses its Giga Impact...

It can deal with FEAR using Taunt and Leech Seed.

Sample Sets:

Mimikyu
and Ferrothorn must die

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z / Fightinium Z
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower
- Swords Dance / Bulk Up
This set is very straightforward; it is used to take on usual stuff Tapu Bulu faces while checking all variants of Mimikyu. 116 Speed lets it outspeed Jolly Mimikyu after Rock Tomb, meaning Bulu won't give a shit about what Mimikyu does in first turn and will proceed to smack its face with Wood Hammer next. No longer, you will suffer from this Curse + SubTect Mimikyu. Oh, don't even care about Will-O-Wisp:

252+ Atk burned Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu in Grassy Terrain: 307-362 (97.7 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

If you are iffy about 87.5% chance, do not worry. ^ Calc means Mimikyu used wisp while Bulu broke Disguise and lowered the Speed using Rock Tomb, meaning it can just hit Mimikyu twice to knock of out.

If we move on to the worst case scenario, it turns out we will be okay:

252+ Atk Mimikyu Twinkle Tackle (175 BP) vs. 140 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 217-256 (68.6 - 81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery and burn damage
252+ Atk Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 140 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 51-60 (16.1 - 18.9%) -- possible 6HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery and burn damage

It is 81% + 18.9% in the worst rolls, with Grassy Terrain recovery in between.

About other moves, Swords Dance + Superpower or Bulk Up + All Out Pummeling can be used to lure and KO Ferrothorn:

+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 342-404 (97.1 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 406-478 (115.3 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

while living Gyro Ball from 0 IV and Relaxed Ferrothorn:

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (134 BP) vs. 140 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 242-288 (76.5 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Oh, and don't mind about Donphan and Golem spamming Counter:

252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Rock Tomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Donphan: 31-36 (8 - 9.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Rock Tomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golem: 29-34 (7.9 - 9.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Because Grassy Terrain heal is 6.25%, they will not be full HP, and you can just play with them using whatever you want.

2. Oh Bulu a triple

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 140 HP / 192 Atk / 40 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower​

Short section. This Bulu uses AV. Simple as it looks. Speed, as mentioned, lets it outspeed cancer Pikachu after Rock Tomb, and outspeed Modest Magnezone. and now we have Horn Leech that can be used heal our Bulu while taking hits (which is possible now thanks to AV). The wall of calcs below shows which counters can Bulu bypass now with Assault Vest:

252 SpA Choice Specs Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 140 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 252-296 (79.7 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 140 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 210-247 (66.4 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Hyper Beam vs. 140 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 267-315 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 140 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 248-292 (78.4 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 140 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 192-228 (60.7 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

By the way, if I really have to explain what happens to those folks afterwards, they will have their face torn in half after taking Wood Hammer. For Magnezone, as you can tell, it will lose around 40% from Wood Hammer and die to Superpower, even after Wood Hammer recoil.​

Thanks for reading, and I hope this post shows that I am not dead, but still an avid 1v1 player who is just learning even after playing 2000+ matches.
Later peeps​

Last edited:

As I was attempting to lurk and learn the meta, I attempted to use underrated 'mons, and Tapu Bulu was my first grip because I hate Gyarados with passion as much as I hate Kyurem-B.

Some stuff I wanted to clarify, was that Tapu Bulu actually has less chance of winning against Tapu Lele due to:

Modest Psyshock + Z
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 300-354 (87.2 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Timid Psychic + Z
252 SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 298-352 (86.6 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Modest Psychic + Z
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 328-387 (95.3 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

And Bulu does not run 252 HP for obvious reasons so I guess this p much means Bulu is not reliable way to deal with Lele.
Sorry to everyone who actually believed Tapu Bulu can beat Tapu Lele and ruined their milestone to 2600 COIL in suspect ladder.

Therefore allow me to address about my favorite 'mon with more helpful and accurate information this time:

Overview:

The typing already says "Kys" to Mega Gyarados: the most relevant coverage Mega Gyarados has are Waterfall, Crunch, Earthquake, and Outrage. Unless some weird shits like Flyinium Z happens, Bulu won't care about what the god squad memeber does and wreck it. This is what I found impressive about Tapu Bulu when I started using it. Over time, I noticed this guy's unique typing which lets it take on Tapu Koko, all Sturdy users barring Magnezone and Aggron, and most Water-types with exceptions of Greninja and rare Volcanion. After my 326th game in suspect ladder, in the moment when I was exhausted to the worst degree, I decided to 'meme' for the rest of the suspect period and forget about COIL. But when I built a new team around this guy, I could see the dim light of hope...

Enough about personal stories. Actually Tapu Bulu does better job tanking hits than it looks on calculator because of Grassy Terrain recovery. This means any opponent who does 50-ish damage to Tapu Bulu with the lowest roll will risk or just simply miss the chance to 2HKO it. Also, the terrain recovery is really handy because it almost entirely negates Wood Hammer recoil when hitting Substitutes, and this happens a lot when stuff like Marshadow or Tapu Koko attempts to block Bloom Doom. 70/115 physical bulk also does nice job punishing mediocre-strong attackers that cannot take out Tapu Bulu fast enough, and I would say the most primary victim is Mega Lopunny which can't KO Tapu Bulu with Fake Out + Giga Impact. Not many are aware of the fact that this guardian from the Ruins of Abundance has shameless 130 Attack stat, with its primary STAB move boosted by the terrain. Grass-type is currently underrated offensive typing in my opinion.

Movepool:

To be honest, the general movepool of this guy is very crappy. While it has solid STAB of Wood Hammer and Horn Leech, the only relevant coverage move it has are Zen Headbutt, Superpower, Stone Edge, and Rock Tomb. It got nice utility though, with setup moves being Bulk Up and Swords Dance, while it has access to Taunt and Leech Seed.

Zen Headbutt lets it take on Buzzwole and be a Jirachi and play flinch hax on Venusaur with Speed investment,
and Rock Tomb lets it take care of that infamous and cancerous Curse Mimikyu while occasionally KOing poor Mega Pinsir that misses its Giga Impact...

Sample Sets:

Mimikyu
and Ferrothorn must die

Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower
- Swords Dance / Bulk Up
This set is very straightforward; it is used to take on usual stuff Tapu Bulu faces while checking all variants of Mimikyu. 116 Speed lets it outspeed Jolly Mimikyu after Rock Tomb, meaning Bulu won't give a shit about what Mimikyu does in first turn and will proceed to smack its face with Wood Hammer next. No longer, you will suffer from this Curse + SubTect Mimikyu. Oh, don't even care about Will-O-Wisp:

252+ Atk burned Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu in Grassy Terrain: 307-362 (97.7 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

If you are iffy about 87.5% chance, do not worry. ^ Calc means Mimikyu used wisp while Bulu broke Disguise and lowered the Speed using Rock Tomb, meaning it can just hit Mimikyu twice to knock of out.

252+ Atk Mimikyu Twinkle Tackle (175 BP) vs. 140 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 217-256 (68.6 - 81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery and burn damage
252+ Atk Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 140 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 51-60 (16.1 - 18.9%) -- possible 6HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery and burn damage

About other moves, Swords Dance + Superpower or Bulk Up + All Out Pummeling can be used to lure and KO Ferrothorn:

+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 342-404 (97.1 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 406-478 (115.3 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (134 BP) vs. 140 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 242-288 (76.5 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Rock Tomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Donphan: 31-36 (8 - 9.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Rock Tomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golem: 29-34 (7.9 - 9.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Because Grassy Terrain heal is 6.25%, they will not be full HP, and you can just play with them using whatever you want.

2. Oh Bulu a triple

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 140 HP / 212 Atk / 40 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower​

Short section. This Bulu uses AV. Simple as it looks. Speed, as mentioned, lets it outspeed cancer Pikachu after Rock Tomb, and outspeed Timid Magnezone. and now we have Horn Leech that can be used heal our Bulu while taking hits (which is possible now thanks to AV). The wall of calcs below shows which counters can Bulu bypass now with Assault Vest:

252 SpA Choice Specs Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 140 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 252-296 (79.7 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 140 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 210-247 (66.4 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Hyper Beam vs. 140 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 267-315 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 140 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 248-292 (78.4 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 140 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 192-228 (60.7 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

By the way, if I really have to explain what happens to those folks afterwards, they will have their face torn in half after taking Wood Hammer. For Magnezone, as you can tell, it will lose around 40% and die to Superpower, even after Wood Hammer recoil.​

Thanks for reading, and I hope this post shows that I am not dead, but still an avid 1v1 player who is just learning even after playing 2000+ matches.
Later peeps​
Alright love the post Tapu Bulu was indeed quite underrated and has become slightly more relevant with the release of marshadow but, about the lele matchup you see that's what EV's are for.

so let's take my spread for this: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 44 Def / 120 SpD

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 120 SpD Tapu Bulu: 289-342 (84.2 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Marshadow Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike vs. 248 HP / 44 Def Tapu Bulu: 289-342 (84.2 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

and i know you specified this matchup for your assault vest set with this just wanted to show that it doesn't need to use an assault vest to live it.
anyway great post just wanted to say this.

<3 A random 1v1 Player

Eve

Bzzt!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader

Modest Psyshock + Z

Timid Psychic + Z

Modest Psychic + Z

Overview:

Movepool:

Sample Sets:

Mimikyu
and Ferrothorn must die

Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower
- Swords Dance / Bulk Up

2. Oh Bulu a triple

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 140 HP / 212 Atk / 40 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower​

Short section. This Bulu uses AV. Simple as it looks. Speed, as mentioned, lets it outspeed cancer Pikachu after Rock Tomb, and outspeed Timid Magnezone. and now we have Horn Leech that can be used heal our Bulu while taking hits (which is possible now thanks to AV). The wall of calcs below shows which counters can Bulu bypass now with Assault Vest:

By the way, if I really have to explain what happens to those folks afterwards, they will have their face torn in half after taking Wood Hammer. For Magnezone, as you can tell, it will lose around 40% and die to Superpower, even after Wood Hammer recoil.​

Later peeps​
about the AV set, it has 18 EV points over the limit. Might need some rebalancing.

So Deoxys-D comes in a few flavors where more often than not the PP stall Deoxys gets everyone a little frustrated. Each set is meant to fix something the other sets lose to: PP stall beats most Pokemon too weak to deal heavy damage, Counter Coat punishes those who deal heavy damage, and Z-Cosmic power finds its ways around fast taunters. So while it is pretty annoying to deal with an unknown Deoxys-Defense in front of you, understanding the set the second time around the five person ladder should change your strategy. Send out a potential mixed attacker such as Hoopa, Tapu Koko, Landorus, Zygarde, Kyurem-Black, Genesect, Pheromosa, etc to give the Deoxys a headache about whether to Iron Defense or Amnesia. A chunk of PP stall's EV's go straight into speed so hit it right in its weak defense and keep them unsure which defense you'll target next match. Cosmic Power and Counter Coat are slow for a 90 base speed Pokemon goes. just to show you how slow it is, a Mega Aggron can put in 248+ Speed and jog ahead and a Swirlix with a scorching 49 base speed gets a speed tie with maximum investment. The point is most mid speed Pokemon won't need to be strapping on crazy speed EV's just to get a fast taunt in for the C Coat and C Power sets. Counter Coat is the easiest to deal with as it loses to most chip damage Pokemon with curse, leech seed, toxic, seismic toss, psywave, and so on. The second way around CC Deoxys-Defense is using a special dark type or a physical ghost type as Deoxys-D will be stuck sitting there taking two super effective moves and can do nothing but wave its Pappardelle arms around in the air. Some names in this department are Mega Houndoom, Mega Sableye, Hoopa Unbound, Hoopa Smol, Greninja, Mega Banette, Trevenant, Doublade, Alolan-Marowak, Dusknoir, Gourgeist, and more. Cosmic Power Deoxys changes from player to player, some are defensive, some are special defensive. Cosmic Power takes quite a bit of time to get as bulky as its PP stall version so a big hit where it matters will do the trick. Heracross, Mega Gengar, and other big names in the offensive psychic killers are quite good at what they do. Its key to know that through taunt, disable, and encore, CP Deoxys-D can still Z-Cosmic Power once. You can not remove the z-crystal but you can steal the stats, flip the stats, erase the stats, or ignore the stats. Here we look to the moves Haze, Snatch, and topsy turvy. Snatch is great as it is common and a functional z-move that gives out +2 speed, Haze is fantastic for being on many Pokemon and will erase all of deoxy's stats. Unaware pokemon like Clefable are nice as well as deoxys will be left only to spam recover to stall out the turns.

So all in all, some unique Deoxys-Defense killers to try out in the meta will be Banette, Dusknoir, Hoopa-U, Clefable, Z-Snatch, Haze, and slower taunters/z-taunters.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Hoopa_Unbound_ORAS.gif

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 172 HP / 192 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast/Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Trick

Here we have yet another Pokemon that gets way less usage than it should. Hoopa's biggest trait is it's immense Physical AND Special Attack, meaning it can perform both attacking roles to a great effect. While it's physical bulk leaves much to be desired, it's special bulk is incredibly impressive, allowing it to take most special hits in the tier with proper investment, with the exception of Mega Charizard Y's Blast Burn and Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Beam.

The speed EVs allow Hoopa to outspeed UOP's bulky Icium Z Kyurem, while also KOing with Focus Blast.

192+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Kyurem-Black: 530-624 (116.7 - 137.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If you're not paranoid like I am, you can run just 124 speed EVs to out-run basic neutral Kyurem. The HP EVs insure that Hoopa can take one Gigavolt Havoc from Timid Tapu Koko and Magnezone, as well as Specs Fini's Moonblast. The rest are put into Special Attack for maximum offensive destruction.

252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa-Unbound in Electric Terrain: 291-343 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Magnezone Gigavolt Havoc (190 BP) vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa-Unbound: 271-321 (78.7 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Dark Pulse is your basic, extremely spammable STAB, Psyshock hits specially bulky walls like Chansey and Blissey hard, Focus Blast allows it to beat Kyurem-Black assuming it doesn't miss, and HP Fire beats Scizor and Ferrothorn, as well as 50/50ing against Mega Mawile. You can substitute one of these options for Trick, which further allows you cripple walls, and slowly wittle them away while they can't do anything back.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1suspecttest-611360431
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-611381867

EDIT: Actually, Hoopa 50/50s against Specs Fini. It does usually win against Hydro Vortex though

Last edited:
View attachment 86118
Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 172 HP / 192 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast/Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Trick

Here we have yet another Pokemon that gets way less usage than it should. Hoopa's biggest trait is it's immense Physical AND Special Attack, meaning it can perform both attacking roles to a great effect. While it's physical bulk leaves much to be desired, it's special bulk is incredibly impressive, allowing it to take most special hits in the tier with proper investment, with the exception of Mega Charizard Y's Blast Burn and Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Beam.

The speed EVs allow Hoopa to outspeed UOP's bulky Icium Z Kyurem, while also KOing with Focus Blast.

192+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Kyurem-Black: 530-624 (116.7 - 137.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If you're not paranoid like I am, you can run just 124 speed EVs to out-run basic neutral Kyurem. The HP EVs insure that Hoopa can take one Gigavolt Havoc from Timid Tapu Koko and Magnezone, as well as Specs Fini's Moonblast. The rest are put into Special Attack for maximum offensive destruction.

252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa-Unbound in Electric Terrain: 291-343 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Magnezone Gigavolt Havoc (190 BP) vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa-Unbound: 271-321 (78.7 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Dark Pulse is your basic, extremely spammable STAB, Psyshock hits specially bulky walls like Chansey and Blissey hard, Focus Blast allows it to beat Kyurem-Black assuming it doesn't miss, and HP Fire beats Scizor and Ferrothorn, as well as 50/50ing against Mega Mawile. You can substitute one of these options for Trick, which further allows you cripple walls, and slowly wittle them away while they can't do anything back.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1suspecttest-611360431
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-611381867

EDIT: Actually, Hoopa 50/50s against Specs Fini. It does usually win against Hydro Vortex though
Alright if you're goal is to tank a Gigavolt Koko and not calculate your Hoopa to tank physical hits, then I've got two EV spreads that are worth your time.

Hoopa-U with: 72 HP / 192 SpA / 100 SpD / 144 Spe
252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 72 HP / 100 SpD Hoopa-Unbound in Electric Terrain: 268-316 (84 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So this spread allows Hoopa to tank a Z-Thunder .7 off the high rolls, but it does it so well, that you can strip 8 EVs off your HP and still live.
Hoopa-U with: 64 HP / 192 SpA / 100 SpD / 144 Spe
252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 64 HP / 100 SpD Hoopa-Unbound in Electric Terrain: 268-316 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So now you have an odd number for your HP, allowing you to take less damage from chip damage moves like toxic, hail, curse, etc. In addition, you get 8 evs to go anywhere you choose giving you more power or speed. This spread using 8 less evs, still tanks special hits better than 172 HP / 0 SpD.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Alright if you're goal is to tank a Gigavolt Koko and not calculate your Hoopa to tank physical hits, then I've got two EV spreads that are worth your time.

Hoopa-U with: 72 HP / 192 SpA / 100 SpD / 144 Spe
252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 72 HP / 100 SpD Hoopa-Unbound in Electric Terrain: 268-316 (84 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So this spread allows Hoopa to tank a Z-Thunder .7 off the high rolls, but it does it so well, that you can strip 8 EVs off your HP and still live.
Hoopa-U with: 64 HP / 192 SpA / 100 SpD / 144 Spe
252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 64 HP / 100 SpD Hoopa-Unbound in Electric Terrain: 268-316 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So now you have an odd number for your HP, allowing you to take less damage from chip damage moves like toxic, hail, curse, etc. In addition, you get 8 evs to go anywhere you choose giving you more power or speed. This spread using 8 less evs, still tanks special hits better than 172 HP / 0 SpD.

Just wondering: What was the point of the first spread if the second one is clearly better? Other than that, cool, will use.

Underrated set:

Diancie @ Choice Specs
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 168 HP / 232 SpA / 108 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Power Gem
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Psyshock

Calcs:

252+ Atk Marshadow Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike vs. 168 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 238-282 (84 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 168 HP / 108 SpD Diancie in Electric Terrain: 226-267 (79.8 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Z-Thunderbolt + Timid Nature)

252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 168 HP / 108 SpD Diancie in Electric Terrain: 237-280 (83.7 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Z-Thunder + Timid nature)

252+ SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 168 HP / 108 SpD Diancie in Electric Terrain: 247-292 (87.2 - 103.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO (Z-Thunderbolt + Modest nature)

252+ SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 168 HP / 108 SpD Diancie in Electric Terrain: 261-307 (92.2 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (Z-Thunder + Modest nature)

252+ SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam vs. 168 HP / 108 SpD Diancie: 218-258 (77 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

232+ SpA Choice Specs Diancie Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 410-486 (113.8 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Charizard-Mega-X Earthquake vs. 168 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 170-200 (60 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Grats DEG on winning July's Championship!

August's Schedule:
DEG I'd like to hear you admit you won due to QT playing half as many tours ;)

I'll also say that while I'm sad to see ORAS 1v1 leaving the format, the introduction of 2v2 doubles should be an interesting and exciting next chapter in the 1v1 championships. 2v2 doubles is another meta run by DEG with its own forum thread, which I encourage everyone to participate in http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/2v2-doubles-om-of-the-month.3606989/ . Hopefully everyone can adapt to this format, and 2v2 doubles becomes a staple moving forward.

DEG I'd like to hear you admit you won due to QT playing half as many tours ;)

I'll also say that while I'm sad to see ORAS 1v1 leaving the format, the introduction of 2v2 doubles should be an interesting and exciting next chapter in the 1v1 championships. 2v2 doubles is another meta run by DEG with its own forum thread, which I encourage everyone to participate in http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/2v2-doubles-om-of-the-month.3606989/ . Hopefully everyone can adapt to this format, and 2v2 doubles becomes a staple moving forward.
ORAS will definitely make a return in the future; the introduction of multiple 2v2 slots is just to take advantage of the hype this month. But yes, I encourage any and all 1v1 enthusiasts to check out 2v2!

TehPazzaaaMan

Banned deucer.
Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard
- Charm

Underrated and can tank almost anything!

Heres some calcs 4 u nerds :P

252 Atk Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 92+ Def Wobbuffet: 210-248 (35.9 - 42.4%) -- 93.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 252 HP / 92+ Def Wobbuffet: 378-445 (64.7 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 252 HP / 92+ Def Wobbuffet: 484-571 (82.8 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery Wew ^^'

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Wobbuffet: 382-450 (65.4 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Blast Burn vs. 252 HP / 164 SpD Wobbuffet in Sun: 523-616 (89.5 - 105.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO u might survive ;)

252 SpA Choice Specs Teravolt Kyurem-Black Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 164 SpD Wobbuffet: 367-433 (62.8 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ok bye.

• Wow
Reactions: dom

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard
- Charm

Underrated and can tank almost anything!

Heres some calcs 4 u nerds :P

252 Atk Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 92+ Def Wobbuffet: 210-248 (35.9 - 42.4%) -- 93.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 252 HP / 92+ Def Wobbuffet: 378-445 (64.7 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 252 HP / 92+ Def Wobbuffet: 484-571 (82.8 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery Wew ^^'

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Wobbuffet: 382-450 (65.4 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Blast Burn vs. 252 HP / 164 SpD Wobbuffet in Sun: 523-616 (89.5 - 105.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO u might survive ;)

252 SpA Choice Specs Teravolt Kyurem-Black Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 164 SpD Wobbuffet: 367-433 (62.8 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ok bye.
Wobbuffet looks kinda neat. The issue is, as of now, it's completely and utterly outclassed by Deoxys-D. Still, if Deo-D and Marshadow both go, it could be interesting.

Eve

Bzzt!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Wobbuffet looks kinda neat. The issue is, as of now, it's completely and utterly outclassed by Deoxys-D. Still, if Deo-D and Marshadow both go, it could be interesting.
I've said it before my dude, Its the HP that gives Wobb its niche. Deoxys-D Counters or Mirror Coats aren't gonna get those OHKOs sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)