Metagame 1v1 Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is possible but room tours should be made best of 3, or best of 5. Instead of either single or double elim. Most 1v1 tournament gameplay is based off of Bo5 so I feel like room tours should reflect that. Plus I like fighting in Bo5 tournaments better, it makes hax less of a variable.

obviously mono poke tournaments should remain best of 1

Not sure if this is possible but room tours should be made best of 3, or best of 5. Instead of either single or double elim. Most 1v1 tournament gameplay is based off of Bo5 so I feel like room tours should reflect that. Plus I like fighting in Bo5 tournaments better, it makes hax less of a variable.

obviously mono poke tournaments should remain best of 1
I'm not sure how that could be implemented. Also, people will lose interest in a tour if it takes too long.

Phase 3.0.0 - Mimikyu [Suspect Test]

Big day à la revolution, suspect tests are back, and with Mimikyu! No dom this isn't because of you, once more pure coincidence! The 1v1 leadership team has decided to Suspect Test Mimikyu. The suspect test procedure will replace the rotational council picks to be as less subjective as we can. The 1v1 leadership team will get auto-reqs for now, but this will change in future tests. The suspect test will run from September 25th till October 9th at 23:59 PM EST giving you a total of 2 weeks. There will not be a new ladder, so you must create a new account with the tag M1S (ex: M1S DEG); and reach the requirements, which are 75% GXE in a minimum of 100 games. When you've done that post here a screenshot proving that it's your account and the reqs but DO NOT VOTE, a private conversation will be created where your votes will be submitted.

Mimikyu boasted a high 17.5% usage stats which puts it above everything else, separating it from Charizard by a margin of 2%. Secondly, Mimikyu is easily built around and can be slapped around some teams to fix a lot of weaknesses. Mimikium-Z + Curse or SD/Bulk Up are all equally viable and corners most threats in the metagame. Running a set over another doesn't come with a huge opportunity loss which means that Mimikyu can easily adapt to metagame trends and fit many teams easily. Both of these points goes with the suspect philosophy. This is just looking at this from the outside. Examining Mimikyu's in game play shows that the opponent is restricted both in teambuilding and in-game play. While 1v1 is all played in teambuilding and your first pick means that being restricted in, not one but both of them, is unhealthy for the metagame.
Curse Mimikyu acts similarly to Perish Song. It passively kills you without even acting, as the opponent hides behind Protect and Substitute, and in Mimikyu's case Disguise which allows it to easily set up curse without fearing taking damage turn 1. This means that being slower than Mimikyu, and not having Mold Breaker clones, result into an autoloss if not carrying recovery. Even then, Let's Snuggle Forever can just deal high damage which pushes your Pokemon to the edge. While Curse might lose to bulky threats with recovery sometimes, SD/BU Mimikyu is just the opposite. Mimikyu uses Diguise to easily set up and deal with your bulky Pokemon with a +2 attack.

For Mimikyu to be banned, it will need to reach a 60% PRO-BAN SUPERMAJORITY.

Happy discussion!

dom

Banned deucer.
week 1: snorlax suspect (because of me), closed vote
week 2: I post about public suspects, get the people kind of mad
week like 4: public Mimikyu suspect

Thinking emoji

Dnb that shit nobody uses curse these days which is what makes it broken

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
>30 mins ago
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 20.35.17.png

For once we are able to please our social media audience that usually only wants us to unban Blaze Blaziken, I'm sure he will be very happy by this development!

I'm sorry to not play the metagame to give actual input on this suspect, but I'm sure that Mimikyu is actually very healthy for the metagame and that our audience is wrong as usual.

Why this was not held much earlier is beyond me, maybe because meta didn't have as many mimikyu I suppose? Regardless the case, about time this happened.

week 1: snorlax suspect (because of me), closed vote
week 2: I post about public suspects, get the people kind of mad
week like 4: public Mimikyu suspect
We’ve been talking about these subjects for months, just because you jumped in right at the end of each discussion doesn’t mean you’re responsible for the whole thing.
Hype for mimi suspect though, I’ll actually participate in this one

Rei

formerly Scholar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am happy this is finally getting a suspect, though I dunno if I will make reqs or not due to my skill level, or irl with college slowly chomping more of my free time. Mimikyu needs to go, it just has so little counters, and its Thunder Wave Curse set pushed it over the edge imo over its other sets. This is a good step in the right direction for the 1v1 tier with having a suspect test over a closed vote even tho I didn't have a problem with how lax was handled.

I’d be a little sad to see it go because of course msciz has a niche to be able to counter it, but CurseKyu literally invalidates tons of the vr and sometimes it isn’t even cursekyu — it could be mimikium, ghostium, IDK.

Although that I am now too busy to focus on 1v1 and these suspects, I’m glad that players can earn reqs to vote again.

Mimikyu needs to go, it just has so little counters, and its Thunder Wave Curse set pushed it over the edge imo over its other sets.
I just want everyone who are thinking of getting reqs and voting in the suspect test to look at mimikyu's currently most used moves, and then vote after considering what it shows.
Capture+_2018-09-25-17-35-31-1.png

One thing mimikyu's usage stats shows is that it does not use curse as much as it used to, especially not t-wave curse, both of which are speed traps and very hard to deal with.

Second, it also shows that mimikyu has many different versatile sets, making it very unpredictable, one of the reasons kyurem-black was banned. Whether it not you agree that that should be ban-worthy is up to you.

Good luck on reqs!

Let me get this out real quick.

Mimikyu is an amazing pokemon, we should all know that. But it’s too good, in my own honest opinion. I will now discuss why this is my stance on this pokemon, and it’s really just a few things.

1. Disguise.
Honestly, this is the reason this ‘mon has viability, and the reason why i feel it is too good, and worthy of the ban hammer. Disguise, if you don't know already, is basically a free substitute, but status moves bypass it. What this allows it to do, is to be able to get a free Z move / Curse / Charm, etc. All of those things contribute to its worthiness of being suspected

2. Curse

It’s Curse set, which is mostly unique to itself (Porygon-Z is the only other viable pokemon in the tier that can pull off a curse set, s/o to Joker 1v1 for the brainstorming of it) is a huge reason that it’s really considered for a suspect. Its curse set allows it to become a speed trap, essentially beating all slower ‘mons that don’t really have counterplay (In the form of multi hit moves, moves that bust the disguise and lower speed, mold breaker or taunt). It left faster ‘mons that could KO it as the best form of counterplay, until something new arised, Thunder wave. T-Wave Mimikyu (Though vulnerable to taunt) basically cheesed ‘mons with higher speed, and Z-Curse on them, which allowed it to beat faster threats. Now the best, most consistent counterplay is Ground and Electric types, who can achieve a faster speed than mimikyu (whilst having it’s disguise broken, and not getting ko’d by a hybrid Z-Move) by turn two, and managing to ko it.

3. Alternate sets

Let me get this out of the way, Gyarados and Scarf Excadrill are not hard counters! Gyarados has to 50/50 with the fact that the set of Mimikyu can be Mimikyu, which can KO it, and the fact that Excadrill has to run adamant to beat Mimikyu, As 252 Hp/252 Defense with a neutral nature tanks an iron head from Excadrill, and 4+ Atk can KO with a combination of fighinium + shadow sneak (I'm currently developing an Anti Excadrill Mimikyu set that beats Adamant)

Also, Variants such as bulk up + wisp or charm Mimikyu can beat physical attackers that might beat it. Also, a set that I personally made, T-Wave + SubSplit, can cheese a lot of games.

Thanks for reading, and I love to see what others have to say. See you on ladder!

Last edited:
Probably a really dumb question, but on the subject of Mimikyus curse set being considered a 'speed trap', wouldn't stuff like sub leech seed Whimsicott be held under similar scrutiny ('damage trap' maybe?)? Since failing to ohko it turn one or playing passively will allow it to leech seed you and spam protect and sub over and over unless you have a faster pokemon with priority. Kinda like Jumpluff actually...
Probably unrelated but shouldn't the 'speed trap'/'damage trap' argument be applied elsewhere too?

I'm not really in a position to say anything with regards to whether it should be banned or not, and I'm absolutely not gonna be able to make reqs, but I was just wondering if it's worth crucifying Mimi over trapping stuff while ignoring certain other Pokemon who can perform somewhat similar roles, idk. (sorry for stirring the pot)

Probably a really dumb question, but on the subject of Mimikyus curse set being considered a 'speed trap', wouldn't stuff like sub leech seed Whimsicott be held under similar scrutiny ('damage trap' maybe?)? Since failing to ohko it turn one or playing passively will allow it to leech seed you and spam protect and sub over and over unless you have a faster pokemon with priority. Kinda like Jumpluff actually...
Probably unrelated but shouldn't the 'speed trap'/'damage trap' argument be applied elsewhere too?

I'm not really in a position to say anything with regards to whether it should be banned or not, and I'm absolutely not gonna be able to make reqs, but I was just wondering if it's worth crucifying Mimi over trapping stuff while ignoring certain other Pokemon who can perform somewhat similar roles, idk. (sorry for stirring the pot)
The thing about Mimikyu, is that it basically sets up for free, most of the time due to its ability, Disguise.
Jumpluff and Whimiscott have chances of taking damage, which can KO them, the turn they set up, and they dont take 4 turns to win (at a minimum).

Also, both Jumpluff and are hard walled (when it comes to their damage dealer) by Grass types and Magic bouncers, which isn't the case for Mimikyu.

Also, if you try, make good predictions, and have a good team, I am sure you got a chance at it. Dont be a downer on yourself.

Have a nice day.

The thing about Mimikyu, is that it basically sets up for free, most of the time due to its ability, Disguise. Jumpluff and Whimiscott have chances of taking damage, which can KO them, the turn they set up, and they dont take 4 turns to win (at a minimum). Also, both Jumpluff and are hard walled (when it comes to their damage dealer) by Grass types and Magic bouncers, which isn't the case for Mimikyu.
Jumpluff sets up for free too, since it first puts the opponent to sleep with sleep powder. The "speed trap" argument is just non-sensical, not to mention incorrect since there are good slower mons like Quagsire which beat it without needing to move first.

Jumpluff sets up for free too
So you are telling me, that there aren't pokemon like Greninja that can OHKO it before it does any setup?

The "speed trap" argument is just non-sensical, not to mention incorrect since there are good slower mons like Quagsire which beat it without needing to move first.
Also, a speed trap is a pokemon that beats the majority of pokemon that underspeed it. In a tier in which not everything is consistent, there are bound to be exceptions.

Also tell me, how many pokemon slower than Mimikyu, that dont use a means to increase their speed of decrease Mimikyu's speed, that are affected by thunder wave, can beat it?

I think you should come up with a list of mons with multi hit movies, status or magic bounce.

So you are telling me, that there aren't pokemon like Greninja that can OHKO it before it does any setup? Also, a speed trap is a pokemon that beats the majority of pokemon that underspeed it. In a tier in which not everything is consistent, there are bound to be exceptions. Also tell me, how many pokemon slower than Mimikyu, that dont use a means to increase their speed of decrease Mimikyu's speed, that are affected by thunder wave, can beat it? I think you should come up with a list of mons with multi hit movies, status or magic bounce.
There are pokemon like Greninja who can do that, but as you said, what defines a speed trap is something that beats the majority of mons slower than it, so being outsped and KO'd by a faster mon doesn't disqualify something from being one. Jumpluff is a mon that can beat most mons who it outspeeds as thanks to Sleep Powder it basically sets up on those mons for free without needing to worry about what they can do. What I'm saying is: that's ok, and it's ok for Mimikyu to be like that as well. I also think it's a pretty large exaggeration to refer to Mimikyu in this way anyhow, because it often needs a specific set to do it, which can spoil its matchups against other more prominent threats, and it can still lose to a number of solid slower mons, such as unaware users, venusaur, defense boosters, and so on.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Also tell me, how many pokemon slower than Mimikyu, that dont use a means to increase their speed of decrease Mimikyu's speed, that are affected by thunder wave, can beat it?
Mold Breaker, sustain, certain Taunt, certain priority, certain sleep, certain Encore, sound moves, multi-hit. Quite a lot of mons fall under those categories. Also, there's no reason why outspeeding it or using speed control is an invalid means of beating it. The only problematic thing that I see with Mimikyu is that it can be difficult to tell between its sets. Even then, though, Charizard and even Choice Scarf are more problematic than Mimikyu in that aspect.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
It is time...

Mimikyu
Mimikyu is a Pokemon everyone's had their eyes on since the start of the generation. What makes Mimikyu stand out so much isn't the fact that it's a Pikachu clone, but rather its unique ability, Disguise. Disguise gives Mimikyu a free opportunity to do something in the form of making the damage of the first damaging move that hits it be nullified. Many people liken this effect to being the same as Sturdy, though you should remember that Sturdy gives its users a free turn in the form of allowing Pokemon to live hits with 1 HP remaining (if the damage is taken at 100% HP), whereas Disguise gives Mimikyu a free turn through making it take no damage from the first attack, without the threat of being shot down by a priority attack on the next turn.

That said, Disguise alone isn't winning Mimikyu its battles, so what does Mimikyu use for getting wins? The two biggest sets on Mimikyu are either offensive or stally, with some overlap between the two. Offensive Mimikyu uses setup and damaging moves to act as its main source of wins, whereas Stally Mimikyu uses Curse to passively deal damage as a win condition. There are also some sets that use both Curse AND an attacking Z-move to finish off the opponent, in case Curse damage alone isn't enough.

The crux of just about every Mimikyu set relies on Disguise, giving Mimikyu a free opportunity to either set up, hinder the opponent, deal damage, or lay down a Curse. Because of how many options Mimikyu has to take advantage of that free turn, in addition to the actual free turn itself, battles against Mimikyu often don't truly "end" until the second turn, where you have an idea of what set the Mimikyu is, based on what move it used the previous turn, and how you will have likely broken its disguise by then. This kind of ambiguity gives Mimikyu users an edge over their opponents, as opponents are forced to decide whether it's best to break the disguise or do something else, whereas Mimikyu users are typically not faced with having to make as difficult of a decision. This kind of ambiguity factor gives Mimikyu ties in similarity to Charizard and (to a lesser extent) Gyarados, where players are forced to think about what to do when faced with these Pokemon, rather than immediately having a general understanding of what to expect from them, beyond obvious STABs, setup, and coverage.

What pushes Mimikyu over Charizard and Gyarados, however, is the fact that it also has ability to viably fish for RNG with the move Thunder Wave. This set allows Mimikyu to use its free Disguise turn to paralyze the opponent with Thunder Wave and follow it up by using Substitute repeatedly until the opponent is eventually immobilized, then giving Mimikyu the opportunity to use Z-Curse, which restores its HP back to 100% before Cursing the opponent (just restores back 100% if the opponent is already Cursed), and stalling down the opponent with Protect and Substitute until they faint. This strategy gives Mimikyu 5 or 6 turns (4 Subs + last chance at 1 HP (plus the possibility of the opponent being para'd on the turn Mimikyu uses Thunder Wave, if Mimikyu is faster)) of paralysis to get a single free turn for Mimikyu to set up Curse. This means Mimikyu has either a 76.26953125% (5 turns) or 82.2021484375% (6 turns) chance of automatically winning against anything that doesn't use Taunt (and/or Encore, in some cases), non-Rest recovery, strong priority, strong multi-hit moves, is immune to Thunder Wave, the ability to bypass Substitute (sound moves/Infiltrator/etc), has an ability that allows it to get past Curse/Disguise (Magic Guard/Mold Breaker/etc), or any combination of these elements. While this may sound like a lot, I don't believe any of these actually apply to a majority of metagame-relevant Pokemon. Unfortunately, the only way to prove this is with some good old VR matchups, so let's jump right in!

W = Universal win
L = Universal loss
O = Won by Offensive Mimikyu
C = Won by Curse stalling
% = Won by Thunder Wave rolls or the set in general
U = Uncertain
S Rank
Charizard-Mega-X -> Majority L 1 (Max Speed Flame Charge only needs to get through 1 turn of possible paralysis before becoming faster than Mimikyu again)

Charizard-Mega-Y -> Majority L 2 (Same deal)

Gyarados-Mega -> O 1 (Wow/Bulk Up/bulky EVs)

Mimikyu -> U 1

A+ Rank

Dragonite -> O 1.5 (Will-o-Wisp/Bulk Up/bulky EVs) / % 0.5

Magearna -> C 1

Metagross-Mega -> L 3

A Rank

Landorus-Therian -> U 2 (Substitute predictions, only Offensive Mimikyu has a chance here)

Porygon-Z -> W 1

Tapu Lele -> W 2

Zygarde-Complete -> O 2 / C 1.5 (Needs LSF)

A- Rank

Greninja -> O 2.5 / % 1

Lopunny-Mega -> Majority W 3 (Needs bulk evs if you don't have Protect)

Magnezone -> L4 (You probably beat Specs with Curse, at least)

Slowbro-Mega -> Majority L5 (You can beat Rest with Thunder Wave, at least)

Venusaur-Mega -> U 3 (Both sides have to predict one another)

B+ Rank

Aegislash -> O 3.5 (Requires specifically Bulk Up/Swords Dance and Z-Shadow Claw, but a win is a win)

Altaria-Mega -> O 4 / C 2 (Needs SD + Play Rough / LSF)

Donphan -> O 4.5 / C 2.5 (WoW/Bulk Up or Curse + LSF)

Gardevoir-Mega -> O 5.5

Genesect -> C 3 / % 1.5 (Curse wins vs slow Genesect, otherwise needs Thunder Wave)

Golem -> O 5.5 / C 3.5 (WoW/Bulk Up or a carefully timed LSF if using Curse)

Jumpluff -> Majority L 6

Meloetta -> W 4

Mew -> L 7 (Fast Taunt shuts down every Mimikyu)

Naganadel -> W 5

Primarina -> W 6

Tapu Fini -> O 6 / C 4 (Taunt beats Mimikyu without any attacks)

B Rank

Aggron-Mega -> L 8 (Taunt stops Mimiyku from setting up too much, in addition to being able to OHKO)

Blaziken -> O 6.5 / C 4.5 (LSF)

Chansey -> U 4 (SD > Growl/Charm + Toxic > SD + WoW/ Sub + Curse + LSF > Charm/etc)

Ferrothorn -> U 5 (50/50 for both between Leech Seed/Attack vs Curse/Sub)

Garchomp -> O 7 / C 5 (LSF)

Heatran -> Majority L 9 (Taunt)

Heracross-Mega -> O 7.5 / C 5.5 (LSF)

Kartana -> % 2.5

Kommo-o -> O 8 / C 6

Mawile-Mega -> L 10 (Taunt)

Necrozma -> O 8.5 / % 3 (Bulky SD + WoW + LSF / Protect + Substitute spam > 8 Photon Geyser)

Pinsir-Mega -> O 9 / % 3.5

Sableye-Mega -> O 9.5 / C 6.5 (LSF)

Sawk -> W 7

Tyranitar-Mega -> O 10.5

Zeraora -> O 11.5

B- Rank

Blastoise-Mega -> W 8

Blissey -> U 6 (Same as Chansey)

Celesteela -> U 7 (Same as Ferrothorn. Loses vs Curse if non-Leech Seed)

Crustle -> O 12 / C 7 (LSF)

Diancie-Mega -> O 13

Durant -> % 4.5

Gengar-Mega -> U 8 (Gets para'd/2HKO'd if Hypnosis misses/gets a 1 turn sleep)

Hoopa-Unbound -> O 13.5 / C 7.5 (LSF. Also loses to % if you don't have Hyperspace)

Swampert-Mega -> W 9

Togekiss -> Majority W 10 (Fairium beats Curse, at least, but loses to SD + WoW).

Victini -> % 5.5

Volcarona -> O 14.5 (SD + Z-move + Sneak)

Whimsicott -> L 11 (Taunt + bulk EVs)

C+ Rank

Archeops -> W 11

Avalugg -> L 12 (Recover wins, but apparently that's low usage???)

Buzzwole -> O 15.5 (It can eat LSF + Play Rough with max phys bulk and Bulk Up/Lunge, but setup Mimi is oof)

Carracosta -> W 12

Deoxys-S -> U 9 (50/50 vs O, loses to Shadow Claw's crit rate, beats the Curse Mimis with Taunt)

Excadrill -> L 13 (Steelium wins. Bulk Up + Z-Shadow Claw > Z-Earthquake)

Gallade-Mega -> W 13

Incineroar -> L 14 (Flame Charge > O/C and Taunt > %)

Kyurem -> O 16.5 (SD > Noble Roar / Noble Roar 50/50s Curse + LSF / Beats %)

Latios -> W 14

Marowak-Alola -> W 15 (It beats Mimikyu without Shadow Claw, at least)

Medicham-Mega -> W 16

Pheromosa -> W 17

Porygon2 -> O 17.5

Scizor-Mega -> L 15

Tapu Bulu -> L 16 (TombTaunt)

Terrakion -> W 18

Umbreon -> O 18 / C 8 (LSF)

Vivillon -> Majority W 19 (has to be faster)

C Rank

Blacephalon -> O 18.5 / % 6 (eats a LSF from C)

Camerupt-Mega -> U 10 (2HKO'd after a SD / 50/50 vs Curse)

Entei -> % 7

Garchomp-Mega -> O 19 / C 8.5 (LSF)

Haxorus -> L 17 (Band Iron Tail)

Hydreigon -> W 20

Infernape -> W 21

Keldeo -> W 22

Krookodile -> O 20 (WoW/Bulk Up/bulk EVs)

Landorus -> O 20.5 / C 9 (LSF)

Latias-Mega -> O 21.5 (SD + WoW > Charm + Reflect Type)

Meowstic-M -> O 22.5 (SD)

Nihilego -> % 8

Pidgeot-Mega -> L 18

Skarmory -> L 19 (Taunt)

Relicanth -> Majority W 23 (Has to succeed at multiple 50/50s vs Curse, which are weighted in Mimi's favor)

Thundurus-Therian -> L 20 (bulk EVs)

Type: Null -> % 9

C- Rank

Cloyster -> O 23.5

Lucario-Mega -> W 24

Manaphy -> L 21

Ninetales-Alola -> O 24.5 (C has to 50/50 between Play Rough or LSF turn 1)

Pyukumuku -> L 22

Quagsire -> L 23

Rhyperior -> O 25.5

Serperior -> L 24 (bulk EVs)

Salazzle -> O 26 / % 9.5

Suicune -> W 25

D Rank

Abomasnow-Mega -> W 26

Alakazam-Mega -> W 27

Aron -> W 28

Azumarill -> W 29

Barbaracle -> O 26.5 / % 10 (Rock Tomb exists, I guess, so rip C)

Breloom -> O 27 / C 9 (LSF)

Clefable -> L 25 (Magic Guard > WoW)

Dusclops -> C 9.5 / % 10.5 (Sub > WoW)

Magneton -> O 28 (bulk EVs)

Manectric-Mega -> O 28.5 / C 10 (LSF)

Sceptile -> O 29 / C 10.5 (LSF)

Slaking -> W 30

Smeargle -> W 31

Stunfisk -> Majority W 32 (Same as Relicanth)

Talonflame -> L 26 (Taunt)

Volcanion -> % 11.5 (Flame Charge + Z-move)
S Rank wins
O 1/3 (33%)
C 0/3 (0%)
% 0/3 (0%)
A Rank wins
O 6/12 (50%)
C 5/12 (41.66%)
% 6/12 (50%)
B Rank wins
O 26/41 (63.4%)
C 19/41 (46.34%)
% 13/41 (31.7%)
C Rank wins
O 29/47 (61.7%)
C 18/47 (38.3%)
% 18/47 (38.3%)
D Rank wins
O 12/16 (75%)
C 11/16 (68.75%)
% 10/16 (62.5%)

Overall
O (56.69%)
C (39%)
% (36.5%)
Now, while the numbers of mons that each set beats may seem low, don't forget that when you're at team preview, Mimikyu could be any of these sets, thus resulting in a limited number of reliable counters, unless you happen to know the set that a person is running.
S Rank
Charizard-Mega-X -> Majority L 1 (Max Speed Flame Charge only needs to get through 1 turn of possible paralysis before becoming faster than Mimikyu again)

Charizard-Mega-Y -> Majority L 2 (Same deal)

A+ Rank

Metagross-Mega -> L 3

A Rank

A- Rank

Magnezone -> L4 (You probably beat Specs with Curse, at least)

Slowbro-Mega -> Majority L5 (You can beat Rest with Thunder Wave, at least)

B+ Rank

Jumpluff -> Majority L 6

Mew -> L 7 (Fast Taunt shuts down every Mimikyu)

B Rank

Aggron-Mega -> L 8 (Taunt stops Mimiyku from setting up too much, in addition to being able to OHKO)

Heatran -> Majority L 9 (Taunt)

Mawile-Mega -> L 10 (Taunt)

B- Rank

Whimsicott -> L 11 (Taunt + bulk EVs)

C+ Rank

Avalugg -> L 12 (Recover wins, but apparently that's low usage???)

Excadrill -> L 13 (Steelium wins. Bulk Up + Z-Shadow Claw > Z-Earthquake)

Incineroar -> L 14 (Flame Charge > O/C and Taunt > %)

Scizor-Mega -> L 15

Tapu Bulu -> L 16 (TombTaunt)

C Rank

Haxorus -> L 17 (Band Iron Tail)

Pidgeot-Mega -> L 18

Skarmory -> L 19 (Taunt)

Thundurus-Therian -> L 20 (bulk EVs)

C- Rank

Manaphy -> L 21

Pyukumuku -> L 22

Quagsire -> L 23

Serperior -> L 24 (bulk EVs)

D Rank

Clefable -> L 25 (Magic Guard > WoW)

Talonflame -> L 26 (Taunt)
11/26 of these Counters are above C+ Rank, 12 if you wanna add Incineroar, which has yet to be bumped up. Considering that B- and up is when Pokemon start becoming more generally viable, I find it highly concerning that Mimikyu has almost a single digit number of viable and reliable Counters (at least without making the assumption that you know which set your opponent's Mimikyu has). It is for this reason, that I will be voting Ban once I get reqs.

Elo Bandit

youtube.com/ EloBandit
is a Community Contributor
don't forget that when you're at team preview, Mimikyu could be any of these sets, thus resulting in a limited number of reliable counters, unless you happen to know the set that a person is running...

I find it highly concerning that Mimikyu has almost a single digit number of viable and reliable Counters (at least without making the assumption that you know which set your opponent's Mimikyu has).
For those of you needing a solid counter to all of Mimikyu's primary sets (LSF, NEN, Curse, and T-wave) I present an updated list of over 30 Pokemon guaranteed to do just that: https://pokepast.es/ea3559191d15f912

If you want to try and break any of these, please pm me rather than cluttering the thread and I'll adjust the list.

EDIT: List updated to reflect changes proposed by motogp, Chickenpie2, and blondesasukeuchiha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)