Resource 1v1 Sword and Shield Viability Rankings

Hi All,
Long post ahead with my thoughts on all of the mons ranked S to B-, giving my viewpoints on their positions and justifying why I believe they should rise / fall / remain the same. From B- onward I'll only comment on mons that I feel should rise / fall beacuse I don't see a point in justifying all the mediocre mons in a mediocre ranking. Not going to touch on mons that should be unranked because that sparks discussion that isn't as important as the more pressing matter of mons in the upper viability bracket

This took a long time so please do feel free to agree / disagree as that's what the VR is for, don't forget that even though there's a council it's a big community thing

Key:
  • Bold and green = rise
  • Bold and blue = stay
  • Bold and red = fall

S Rank
:Mimikyu: Mimikyu – Rightful position. Huge utility, great typing, broken ability, difficult to scout but by no means an impossible mon. The staple face of an S rank threat

S- Rank
:Darmanitan-Galar: Darmanitan-Galar – Proof that predictability doesn’t equate to viability. Only utilises two main sets but does so extremely well with the tools it has thanks to gorilla tactics. There’s lure room with stuff like belly drum, but scarf + band place this mon at the perfect spot in S-

:Jirachi: Jirachi – Scarf makes this mon annoying but more relevant are the bulky sets that have shown up in premier league, with calm mind / iron defence + stored power sets gaining usage and proving to be annoying to deal with. Like mimikyu with great versatility and typing, but nowhere near to the same extent. Sits well in S-

A+ Rank
:Dracovish: Dracovish – Same deal with darm. Mainly utilises scarf and band, but roseli / haban are also nice lures that can do the job. Despite the meta being quite prepared for this mon, its sheer power allows it to still hold a dominant position which can’t be ignored when building. A+ is great here

:Sylveon: Sylveon – Great natural bulk, mono-fairy isn’t bad by any means in this meta, hits really hard with pixilate and has capacity to break down majority of fat mons with either yawn + fake tears or specs. Does what it needs to do very well, A+ is its home.

A Rank
:Dragapult: Dragapult – I’m glad this mon has dropped. Nothing has dramatically changed about its sets or what it does, but the developing meta has seen rises in mons like Primarina and Avalugg always made me question where this mon was meant to sit. Like it in A

A- Rank

:Arcanine: Arcanine – I personally would want to advocate this mon for A, but personal opinion and use doesn’t justify where it sits in the metagame. Great utility with bulk wisp sets and access to annoying moves like burn up and snarl. Offensive is also a really good option which hasn’t been explored much, boasting an impressive offensive movepool with coverage options such as outrage, bulldoze and play rough. Intimidate is always a great ability and only aids arcanine in the matchups it likes being in. Great in A-

:Corsola-Galar: Corsola-Galar – Does exactly the same thing now as it did day one of swsh. A-

:Corviknight: Corviknight – Similar to Corsola but with some developments in EVs and items. Taunt / roost / iron defence / iron head is without a doubt the staple set, but has many other options within its movepool to explore and maybe work with as the metagame continues to develop. Fat with awesome typing, recovery, and taunt to break down mons fatter than itself. Staple A- pokemon

:Crustle: Crustle – Another mon that sits perfectly in A-. Sturdy will never be a bad ability in 1v1, but what makes it great is the mon its paired with. Crustle utilises sturdy and boasts respectable attack which is ideally paired with choice band, or an item to support the shell smash set such as lum berry, mental herb or hard stone. I really like the lum shell smash set and think this mon has great matchups against a good majority of S to A threats.

:Haxorus: Haxorus – I love this mon so much and wish I could advocate for its rise, but A- is where it belongs. I find taunt / sd / outrage / quake haban is probably its best set at the moment, being able to break past bulky threats like corviknight, arcanine, corsola and rotom-wash whilst luring in dragons like dracovish, dragapult and hydreigon and also mons with dragon coverage such as zeraora. Scarf and band are also great, being able to outspeed opposing scarfers like darm and in general just break lots with band. Strong mon, great stats, great abilities (unnerve is cool tech for the with scarf berry dragons and band for berry fairies).

:Incineroar: Incineroar – This is a tricky one. I think that it still does exactly the same thing that It did pre necrozma ban, but now it does those things worse without necrozma around, alongside the decline in dragapult and the rise of primarina. Still good, but I think this mon should move from A- to B+

:Primarina: Primarina – This mon is insanely good right now. It doesn’t do anything special, but what it does do it does extremely well. Amazing typing both offensively and defensively, with the potential to distribute evs to make primarina fill in specific roles or be extremely solid in majority of matchups. Calm mind / encore is being explored and I feel this will become a very good set, alongside the already great existing sets of bulky mystic water / chilan, specs, the rare av / scarf, and weird lures like icy wind rindo. I think the PL usage says a lot for this mon as well. W1 - #12, W2 - #5, W3 - #4, W4 - #1, W5 - #1, W6 - #3. Not to associated usage with viability, but It’s relevant to mention. Prim is extremely good and I feel should move from A- to A+

:Sawk: Sawk – The Karate Kid sits nicely in A-. Not much to say about this mon, definitely too good for B+ but nowhere good enough for A. Does what you need it to do without much variation, a good meta pick

:Whimsicott: Whimsicott – Cheese alone can’t make this mon better than it already is. A- is nice and can be unpredictable with the right berry at team preview. A very splashable mon that can easily patch up holes in your team. Having moonblast access is nice and a viable choice for some specific wins, but in general taunt is much better, allowing it to cheese fat stuff. Disgusting but warranted in A-

:Zeraora: Zeraora – I feel this mon has more potential than what has been shown. Band is standard and very good, though I feel as if scarf and bulk up both have a lot of untapped potential. Scarf only needs 24 evs to outpace scarf rachi, which allows for 252+ adamant in attack and plenty of room for bulk. It reliably beats darmanitan, dracovish, dragapult, corviknight, haxorus, primarina, opposing zeraora, cinderace, togekiss, excadrill and more that I could mindlessly list. When you couple this with band and bulk up sets, I honestly feel as if zeraora’s potential is being slept on and thus would like to see consideration for A to be made, however A- is also completely warranted and also an appropriate spot for it.

B+ Rank
:Aegislash: Aegislash – Struggles in this meta. The nerfs aren’t the only factor but they do make a contribution to aegi’s lacklustre kill potential. This mon really needs boosts to muscle past the plethora of fat threats within the meta right now, almost forcing it to run weakness policy for better matchups and capacity to ko. Swords dance exists which is mediocre, and choiced sets have the same problem being that they just don’t kill. Almost want this at B, but I think what it does beat is enough for B+

:Avalugg: Avalugg – Avalugg is extremely good right now. Iron defence muscles past majority of physical threats, and choice band straight up deletes a plethora of strong mons like mimikyu, darmanitan, excadrill, whimsicott, zeraora, aegislash and cinderace. Mirror coat access is also nice on band but I find it can be easily scouted and feel as if quake is better for broader matchups. The T H U G G is very deserving of a raise from B+ to A-

:Cinderace: Cinderace – Strong mon with some nice tools under its belt. Sub liechi is naturally its best set, but band is nothing to be scoffed at either and even scarf can be useful on the right team. A prime example of a B+ pokemon

:Excadrill: Excadrill – Can be very strong or very shit depending on the matchup, which is why I don’t like this mon in general. Always being able to beat whimsicott as a steel is nice with rapid spin given that most whimsicott in this meta run babiri, but I feel as if there are definitely better scarfers and band breakers to use. SD isn’t a bad set but in general is lacklustre in comparison to haxorus, which I feel does the same thing but better with taunt. Yeah exca is a great fairy answer, but feels like it lacks in many other components. Probably stays comfortable in B+

:Hydreigon: Hydreigon – This is a great pokemon that’s capable of running many viable sets which can be difficult to determine at team preview. Taunt / nasty plot is an amazing breaker set, with haban and scarf / specs also within its pool of great sets. Needs some momentum behind it before people jump on to this thing and it becomes a threat to be accounted for in building. Can’t do jack against fairies, but neither can most of the other dragons. I think this warrants a rise from B+ to A- at the very least, with really solid potential to possibly rise further

:Kyurem: Kyurem – I hate this pokemon. I think that it’s weak in comparison to other dragons running around and it has bad defensive tying which isn’t good for a mon that wants to pressure stall. Chople glaciate sets are cool lures, but overall this mon is still unexplored and doesn’t know its place in the meta. A drop from B+ to B would best suit

:Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz – Sits well here at B+. Prankster immunity is always a good thing to have alongside great bulk with a taunt that doesn’t need much speed investment, freeing up evs for more important things. Foul play is an amazing move which it boasts over corvi, but I think that general susceptibility to fairies hurts it a bit. If you could find a pokemon next to the word solid in the dictionary, this would be it

:Togekiss: Togekiss – Ironically continues to be used as a scarf flinch mon when it has much greater utility with nasty plot + thunder wave. Has untapped potential (which Nalei has discovered ooooo) but can be very shaky in a lot of matchups at team preview. Perfect for B+

B Rank
:Aromatisse: Aromatisse – People don’t know how to use this, nor do they typically know how to play against this. Definitely one of the sleeper threats of this meta, but not difficult to account for either. Good fit in B

:Blastoise: Blastoise – A little unexplored. Wacan counter and shell smash sets have the potential for blastoise to maybe rise in the future, but for the current meta there’s nothing wrong with it in B.

:Conkeldurr: Conkeldurr – Not bad but not great either. Amazing physical bulk allows for it to do very well against opposing physical threats with its own band / flame orb set, but that’s about the gist of it. I don’t think AV is a good set for conk, it needs to be able to break stuff. B material in the current state

:Golisopod: Golisopod – Needs something to help it back on its feet. It has stupid bulk and very respectable attack, but makes me wonder why you’d want this over something along the lines of crustle / arcanine / sawk etc. I’d advocate for a drop from B to B-, poor offensive typing doesn’t help it out either.

:Grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl – Hasn’t changed what it does since pre-home. Did it alright back then, however certainly doesn’t do it as well now. Too many threats around for it to do its unique thing. Same deal with Golisopod, B to B-

:Kommo-o: Kommo-o –A unique mon but doesn’t have the tools to stay a threat worth noting in this meta. Hoping that there’s a great set yet to be discovered as this is a really cool mon with neat typing, but for now I think it stays in B

:Milotic: Milotic – Tricky where to place this. Flame orb + marvel scale gives milotic some very respectable bulk, which can be further enhanced with coil and stall out fat mons with recover / rest. I think the problem is that milotic needs the opportunity to do what it wants to but often doesn’t have the turns or the passive recovery to keep up with hard hits. Cool mon, decent in B

:Rhyperior: Rhyperior – I love this pokemon but there are far too many threats around which don’t allow it to invest in attack and break walls like it wants to. Very lacklustre when you compare it to crustle as they largely do similar things yet rhyperior finds itself having to always be careful of raw ohkos. Might regain a niche in the future, but right now B to B- would be appropriate

:Rillaboom: Rillaboom – This mon is definitely too low. Drum beating is such a strong and useful move, which when coupled with leech seed + a combination of protect / sub / taunt gives you a really versatile mon that can win matchups you wouldn’t expect. Offensive sub liechi is nothing to laugh at either, with coverage in earthquake and capacity to hit super hard with +1 in overgrow territory. Would definitely raise this mon to B+

:Rotom-Heat: Rotom-Heat – I think this mon is underrated. Typing is amazing offensively with the added bonus of resisting fairy, allowing it to take on mons like primarina, corviknight, mandibuzz, venusaur, rillaboom and whimsicott. Electroweb is some cool tech which can improve mimikyu matchup vastly, and sub is great vs avalugg and sylveon. Nasty plot, specs, scarf and life orb are all great sets which easily gives this mon a comfortable slot within B+

:Rotom-Wash: Rotom-Wash – Similar to rotom-heat with what it does. Beats a lot of the same mons but can more reliably run a great set of wisp + kee berry. Can’t muscle past grasses like heat can, but heat can’t run wisp kee as well as this either. Water is a much better defensive typing. Wash can also run all the same sets with similar results. I’d also place rotom-wash in B+

:Snorlax: Snorlax – I’ve explored band a bit and think that’s the set I like the most, even though belly drum + yawn is neat but I feel as if it relies a bit too much on sleep turns. Ridiculous bulk great coverage, but not amazing either. Fine within B

:Steelix: Steelix – The result of what happens when people jump on a mon and explore the possibilities. Weakness policy and torment have come up, with torment being able to beat any choice mon which is definitely notable. The problem I have with that is that you then surrender yourself to many more poor matchups, which overall I feel would have been better if you’d just run band. New tools have stopped it from dropping but I don’t think they’ll make it rise either. B

:Tyranitar: Tyranitar – An amazing pokemon for the right team, but has extreme 4mss and can’t ever be ev’d for everything it wants. Bad defensive typing which is where lots of evs have to be bulk invested to cover up its many weaknesses, but offensively it hits hard in return if you can manage to stomach one. Definitely a pokemon for the more creative builders, but not one which holds general metagame relevance. B is fine

:Weezing-Galar: Weezing-Galar – This mon is under the radar. Ability is amazing which allows it to reliably beat dracovish, darmanitan, sylveon, avalugg and most mimikyu while also matching up quite well vs other high ranked mons. Typing is good both offensively and defensively, but the ability + movepool allows for specs to be a super solid set worthy of pushing weezing up to B+

B- Rank (As stated at the start I’m only going to comment on the mons that I think should rise / fall from here until the end of the VR. Not going to bother with putting mons into UR because people always complain about those when there are more pressing matters to discuss)
:Goodra: Goodra – This one is personal bias, but goodra has a very versatile movepool and great lure potential with laser focus + acid spray. Plenty of room for specific sets to patch up elements of otherwise lacking teams, though really needs some creative thinking. A bit like tyranitar in that sense. Would recommend B

:Keldeo: Keldeo – I think keldeo is really bad right now. It’s outclassed as both a bulky water and an offensive water. Scarfers outpace it easily, and having scarf itself leaves much to be desired regarding kill potential. Specs patches up that problem but lacks coverage. I’d want to see this in C+

C+ Rank

:Diggersby: Diggersby – A bit more personal bias here but much more justified, but this mon is definitely B- material. Choice band is extremely strong, much stronger than its other normal type banded counterpart bewear. Swords dance + laser focus + giga impact + earthquake / gastro acid is great and leaves plenty of room for item variety, whether that’s silk scarf for immediate breaking potential or something along the lines of lum for fatter threats that you need to sd against like arcanine or kee rotom. Can also sd + laser focus into corviknight because nobody right now is going to be taunting a diggersby with corvi. Gastro acid is niche but I feel obligated to mention it for its matchup vs stall, specifically type:null (sorry VG)

:Type-Null: Type: Null – People are starting to see the potential in this mon. Dummy fat and can’t get crit, so now there’s nothing else for you to blame your losses on when you ultimately lose the bo5 in seasonal to the random that brought a level 1 togedomaru. Unfortunately it’s completely shut down by taunt and is susceptible to encore, but not being able to get crit is huge when you’re using stall mons. Definitely better than its current rank, B- is appropriate

C Rank
:Venusaur: Venusaur – Sub petaya is an underrated set that should definitely be putting venu a step above everything it’s surrounded by down here. Hard countering whimsicott is always nice, and can be a stally shit itself with leech seed. Just feels too low considering what it’s already shown, could like to see C+

Last edited:

maki

uri duri naranhi
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Aromatisse – People don’t know how to use this, nor do they typically know how to play against this. Definitely one of the sleeper threats of this meta, but not difficult to account for either. Good fit in B
I just had to comment on this considering this is on my most used pokemon, but yeah I agree with your thoughts about this moreorless. Aromatisse in my opinion is overlooked way too much considering how well it is matches up against some of the most prevalent pokemon like Mimikyu, Sawk, Haxorus, Dragapult, etc. With proper play, Aromatisse can put unsuspecting status move users like stall Rotom-Heat, Milotic, and Corsola into an Encore lock, allowing you to eventually KO them with a double struggle Encore Disable. In my perspective, people just don't spend any effort on learning how Aromatisse works, as shown by the many mishaps/misplays during this PL where matchups would be lost due to unoptimal sequence of actions. B is a good start for Aromatisse, but I feel like it could be pushed to B+ or even A- if people decided to learn using the pokemon and explore its other possible sets.

goatered.jpg

UR --> C
S/o to Potatochan789 for sending me both the Ludicolo sets and excellent teams to go along w/ them.
Ludicolo @ Kee Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 240 HP / 92 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Encore
- Giga Drain
Ludicolo @ Sea Incense
EVs: 120 HP / 184 SpA / 60 SpD / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Encore
- Surf
- Leaf Storm
Ludicolo @ Life Orb
EVs: 204 Def / 160 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Encore
- Hydro Pump
- Leaf Storm
I originally only saw this thing as a meme but it's actually quite good. Ludicolo has quite a unique typing that is not weak to much and it has very useful resists backed up by solid 80/70/100 defenses. The obvious question is why use this thing over Rillaboom or other grass types for that matter. Two reasons, Ludicolo has encore; this is unique excluding Whimsicoot. The second is water typing which is cool for Darms, Rotom-H, and other fires & ices.
70 is a solid speed tier for what it wants to do, which is beating stall mons and other waters. There is no better way to convey this than just going through the VR.
Set dependent
S Rank
:Mimikyu: Mimikyu Ludi wins against Mimikyu w/ Encore t1. A t1 attack will just proc Kee berry and leave Mimikyu susceptible to Leech Seed stall and Kyu's 90 attack isn't killing. Substitute means Mimikyu loses 50% HP and it'll be unable to Curse and instead will just get chipped by Drain and Leech. Trick means Ludi can get up seeds then Protect once Encore is over and act from there.
S- Rank
:Darmanitan-Galar: Darmanitan-Galar Band Giga Impact will kill unless you're like 252 252+ but that sounds like an unset but it does beat scarf and the rare zen.
:Jirachi: Jirachi Both stall and scarf lose to Rain Dance but only scarf loses to Kee.

A+ Rank
:Dracovish: Dracovish Vish is doing zilch and will just get chipped down.
:Sylveon: Sylveon Sylveon will just kill you, there isn't any reason to click a move that could be Encored.

A Rank
:Dragapult: Dragapult maybe LO Rain Dance could beat Sub+Disable but ehhhh it's unreliable

A- Rank
:Arcanine: Arcanine all arcanine sets lose to all ludi sets
:Corsola-Galar: Corsola-Galar Encore seed chip skewers this thing
:Corviknight: Corviknight taunt rip
:Crustle: Crustle Rock Wrecker is doing to much but if they ss t1 against your Rain Dance you win
:Haxorus: Haxorus The choice sets lose but that SD set that's been floating around wins
:Incineroar: Incineroar does too little to kee and straight up dies to rain dance
:Primarina: Primarina dies to giga before ludi dies
:Sawk: Sawk leech chip
:Whimsicott: Whimsicott moonblast kills
:Zeraora: Zeraora it can't touch ludi

B+ Rank
:Aegislash: Aegislash Aegi just dies to leech chip as it's slower
:Avalugg: Avalugg lugg isn't doing enough and encore beats recover
:Cinderace: Cinderace L
:Excadrill: Excadrill drill isn't doing enough
:Hydreigon: Hydreigon special attackers zzz
:Kyurem: Kyurem if it's freeze dry you explode
:Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz rain dance encore
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom-Wash get drained
:Togekiss: Togekiss please go to the shadow realm

B Rank
:Aromatisse: Aromatisse can't encore it and leech isn't enough
:Blastoise: Blastoise water type
:Conkeldurr: Conkeldurr bouncing off
:Golisopod:Golisopod if goli only has first impression as only bug stab vs protect kee
:Grimmsnarl: ?Grimmsnarl? not sure
:Kommo-o: Kommo-o can't touch kommo-o
:Milotic: Milotic water type
:Rhyperior: Rhyperior adios
:Rillaboom: Rillaboom nuh uh drum beating kills you
:Rotom-Heat: Rotom-Heat hydro pump go brrrrr
:Snorlax: Snorlax band doesn't run giga impact
:Steelix: Steelix physical stabs are both resisted and this thing's spdef is awful
:Tyranitar: Tyranitar hydro pump go brrrrr
:Weezing-Galar: Weezing-Galar special poison stab

B- Rank
:Bewear: Bewear I've never seen it but it'll just get chipped down
:Chandelure: Chandelure hydro pump goes brrrr
:Dracozolt: Dracozolt stronk
:Duraludon: Duraludon draco is unresisted
:Durant: Durant bug stab
:Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn you can't touch ferro
:Gastrodon: Gastrodon grass stab
:Gengar: Gengar poison stab
:Goodra: Goodra special mon that doesn't care about chip
:Keldeo: Keldeo grass stab and evs are specifically for this

C+ Rank
:Celebi: Celebi you can't touch this onion
:Darmanitan: Darmanitan fire type and trick is ineffective
:Diggersby: Diggersby not strong enough
:Gardevoir: Gardevoir specs gard wins but not scarf
:Gyarados: Gyarados if gyra lacks taunt
:Terrakion: Terrakion silly terrak
:Togedemaru: Togedemaru you can get flinched but you should win w/o flinches
:Type-Null: Type: Null encore and seed chip

C Rank
:Alcremie: Alcremie you can't encore it
:Appletun: Appleton mike wins something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:Bisharp: Bisharp ig if it has taunt it could win?
:Centiskorch: Centiskorch hydro pump go brrrrr
:Cloyster: Cloyster screw your ice stab
:Crawdaunt: Crawdaunt grass stab
:Dubwool: Dubwool encore
:hitmonlee: Hitmonlee encore + seed chip
:Inteleon: Inteleon bad mon
:mamoswine: Mamoswine ineffective stab
:Ninetales: Ninetales hydro pump goes brrr
:Ninetales-Alola: Ninetales-Alola freeze dry
:Obstagoon: Obstagoon bad mon
:Reuniclus: Reuniclus magic guard is bad news
:Scrafty: Scrafty mediocre mon
:Silvally: Silvally I don't think anything beats all silvally sets but the most popular is water and you should win
:Toxapex: Toxapex bad mon
:Toxtricity: Toxtricity poison stab
:Umbreon: Umbreon encore
:Vaporeon: Vaporeon grass stab
:venusaur: Venusaur poison stab

C- Rank
:Araquanid: Araquanid very weak outside of water moves which are 4x resisted
:Cobalion: Cobalion if cobal has taunt
:Copperajah: Copperajah bad mon
:Eiscue: Eiscue bad mon
:hippowdon: Hippowdon grass stab
:Indeedee-F: Indeedee-Female this thing wins a mu?
:Pyukumuku: Pyukumuku grass stab + encore
:Sirfetchd: Sirfetch'd brave bird
:Virizion: Virizion idk

D Rank
not going to bother explaining these :afrostar:
:Charizard: Charizard
:Drampa:
Drampa
:Eldegoss: Eldegoss
:Espeon: Espeon
:Hatterene: Hatterene
:Mudsdale: Mudsdale
:Orbeetle: Orbeetle
:Quagsire: Quagsire
:sudowoodo: Sudowoodo
:Trevenant: Trevenant
:Tsareena: Tsareena
:Turtonator: Turtonator
:vikavolt:
Vikavolt
:Weavile: Weavile
:wishiwashi-school: Wishiwashi
Edit: VR is now filled out, there are some inaccuracies I’ll be fixing

Last edited:

IBM

Banned deucer.
Me when I see a team 3-0ed by Weavile:
1586287046983.png

:Weavile: D -> B-

With the sheer amount of choice users in the meta currently, Weavile is an excellent counter and has one set to deal with a majority of the VR.

Weavile @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Spite / Taunt
- Foul Play / Icicle Crash
This set is pretty simple, protect and substitute to run the opponent out of pp. Most choice users will not have a lot of pp, so pressure stall beats non scarf users easily. Spite beats most stall pokemon, Taunt beats all the other stall pokemon, and Foul play deals with setup physical attackers. Icicle crash for dark/fighting types.

How it stacks up against S-> B- in VR:

:Mimikyu: - Beats setup sets, curse, and band, loses to scarf
:Darmanitan-galar: - Beats band (which is more common)
:Dracovish: - Beats band and adamant scarf
:Arcanine: - Beats stall and life orb/band
:Corsola: - Wins
:Corviknight: - Wins
:Haxorus: - Beats band
:Sawk: - Beats band (which is more common)
:Whimsicott: - Wins
:Aegislash: - Wins
:Avalugg: - Wins
:Cinderace: - Wins
:Excadrill: - Beats all non scarf
:Hydreigon: - Beats specs
:Kyurem: - Wins
:Mandibuzz: - Wins
:Rotom-Wash: - Wins
:Blastoise: - Wins
:Milotic: - Wins
:Snorlax: - Wins
:Tyranitar: - Wins
:Weezing-Galar: - Wins
:Bewear: - Wins
:Dracozolt: - Beats band and adamant scarf.
:Duraludon: - Wins
:Durant: - Wins
:Ferrothorn: - Wins
:Gastrodon: - Wins
:Gengar: - Wins
:Goodra: - Wins

I didn’t feel like going through the whole VR, but it beats a lot of the lower ranked mons too.

Last edited:
Me when I see a team 3-0ed by Weavile:
View attachment 234911

:Weavile: D -> B-

With the sheer amount of choice users in the meta currently, Weavile is an excellent counter and has one set to deal with a majority of the VR.

Weavile @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Spite / Taunt
- Foul Play / Icicle Crash
This set is pretty simple, protect and substitute to run the opponent out of pp. Most choice users will not have a lot of pp, so pressure stall beats non scarf users easily. Spite beats most stall pokemon, Taunt beats all the other stall pokemon, and Foul play deals with setup physical attackers. Icicle crash for dark/fighting types.

How it stacks up against S-> B- in VR:

:Mimikyu: - Beats setup sets, curse, and band, loses to scarf
:Darmanitan-galar: - Beats band (which is more common)
:Dracovish: - Beats band and adamant scarf
:Arcanine: - Beats stall and life orb/band
:Corsola: - Wins
:Corviknight: - Wins
:Haxorus: - Beats band
:Sawk: - Beats band (which is more common)
:Whimsicott: - Wins
:Aegislash: - Wins
:Avalugg: - Wins
:Cinderace: - Wins
:Excadrill: - Beats all non scarf
:Hydreigon: - Beats specs
:Kyurem: - Wins
:Mandibuzz: - Wins
:Rotom-Wash: - Wins
:Blastoise: - Wins
:Milotic: - Wins
:Snorlax: - Wins
:Tyranitar: - Wins
:Weezing-Galar: - Wins
:Bewear: - Wins
:Dracozolt: - Beats band and adamant scarf.
:Duraludon: - Wins
:Durant: - Wins
:Ferrothorn: - Wins
:Gastrodon: - Wins
:Gengar: - Wins
:Goodra: - Wins

I didn’t feel like going through the whole VR, but it beats a lot of the lower ranked mons too.
I'll give this a shot but B- is looking like a stretch

Incineroar A- -> A
Two sets:
Incineroar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 184 HP / 52 Atk / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Taunt/fake out
- Bulk Up/flame charge
- Darkest Lariat

Incineroar @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 Atk / 92 Def / 180 SpD / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flame Charge/iron head
- Darkest Lariat
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

incineroar is very anti meta rn
the only mons that win are primarina,rotom wash, non band crustle, and non scarf non jolly dracovish in S-B+ tiers
other S/A mons lose to 5-6 or even more
S Rank
:Mimikyu: Mimikyu first wins with predicts second wins guranteed

S- Rank
:Darmanitan-Galar: Darmanitan-Galar both sets beat scarf first beats band
:Jirachi: Jirachi both sets win

A+ Rank
:Dracovish: Dracovish first has a favorable roll from jolly scarf and i kill with outrage
-1 252 Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 184 HP / 252+ Def Incineroar: 336-396 (89.1 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
:Sylveon: Sylveon band flare blitz kills most and i also outspeed so unless i get sleep haxed i win

A Rank
:Dragapult: Dragapult second beats specs first beats disable

A- Rank
:Arcanine: Arcanine first set wins
:Corsola-Galar: Corsola-Galar first set wins
:Corviknight: Corviknight both sets win unless speedy corv which beats second set
:Crustle: Crustle favorable roll on first set against band flame charge-->flare blitz/lariat
252 Atk Crustle Rock Wrecker vs. 184 HP / 252+ Def Incineroar: 326-386 (86.4 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
:Haxorus: Haxorus both sets win
:Primarina: Primarina lose
:Sawk: Sawk fake out into flame charge/flare blitz wins with first set
:Whimsicott: Whimsicott both win
:Zeraora: Zeraora both win

B+ Rank
:Aegislash: Aegislash first set wins and second set loses to weakness policy cc
:Avalugg: Avalugg first set wins
:Cinderace: Cinderace first set wins and second might Edit:pqs responded with haha cuz this idk why tho
:Excadrill: Excadrill first set wins
:Hydreigon: Hydreigon both win
:Kyurem: Kyurem first set wins
:Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz first set wins
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom-Wash first could beat stall
:Togekiss: Togekiss second wins without hax

Last edited by a moderator:
Incineroar A- -> A
Two sets:
Incineroar @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 184 HP / 52 Atk / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Taunt/fake out
- Bulk Up/flame charge/outrage
- Darkest Lariat

Incineroar @ Choice Band
EVs: 128 Atk / 148 Def / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flame Charge /thunder punch
- Darkest Lariat
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat/outrage

incineroar is very anti meta rn
the only mons that win are primarina,rotom wash, non band crustle, and non scarf non jolly dracovish in S-B+ tiers
other S/A mons lose to 5-6 or even more
S Rank
:Mimikyu: Mimikyu first wins with predicts second wins guranteed

S- Rank
:Darmanitan-Galar: Darmanitan-Galar both sets beat scarf first beats band
:Jirachi: Jirachi both sets win

A+ Rank
:Dracovish: Dracovish first has a favorable roll from jolly scarf and i kill with outrage
-1 252 Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 184 HP / 252+ Def Incineroar: 336-396 (89.1 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
:Sylveon: Sylveon band flare blitz kills most and i also outspeed so unless i get sleep haxed i win

A Rank
:Dragapult: Dragapult first set wins

A- Rank
:Arcanine: Arcanine first set wins
:Corsola-Galar: Corsola-Galar first set wins
:Corviknight: Corviknight both sets win unless speedy corv which beats second set
:Crustle: Crustle favorable roll on first set against band flame charge-->flare blitz/lariat
252 Atk Crustle Rock Wrecker vs. 184 HP / 252+ Def Incineroar: 326-386 (86.4 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
:Haxorus: Haxorus both sets win
:Primarina: Primarina lose
:Sawk: Sawk fake out into flame charge/flare blitz wins with first set
:Whimsicott: Whimsicott both win
:Zeraora: Zeraora both win

B+ Rank
:Aegislash: Aegislash first set wins and second set loses to weakness policy cc
:Avalugg: Avalugg first set wins
:Cinderace: Cinderace first set wins and second might Edit:pqs responded with haha cuz this idk why tho
:Excadrill: Excadrill first set wins
:Hydreigon: Hydreigon both win
:Kyurem: Kyurem first set wins
:Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz first set wins
An interesting nomination, which I think would probably serve better to potentially keep Incineroar in A- rather than push it up to A. I think the majority would agree that Incineroar in A would be a gross overstatement of its abilities, especially when you compare it to arcanine which undeniably has far better defensive utility given access to reliable recovery and burn up. Offensively speaking, I don't think choice band has been explored enough or proven its merits within any gen8 setting (from what I've seen at least)

This is one of those mons that looks great on paper when you give it a visual representation of what it beats and how, which you have done. However I find the problem with this mon is much more broad and extends beyond what it beats which is why I want to focus on what it loses to. Out of the 24 mons you commented on, a whopping 19 (79.1%) of those are either set or RNG dependent which I personally don't believe is anywhere near solid enough to justify an A rank, especially over other A- pokemon which have proven to be much more dominating in the current meta such as primarina, crustle, zeraora and haxorus. There's definitely potential but not enough to justify a rise at this point of the meta

Last edited:
An interesting nomination, which I think would probably serve better to potentially keep Incineroar in A- rather than push it up to A. I think the majority would agree that Incineroar in A would be a gross overstatement of its abilities, especially when you compare it to arcanine which undeniably has far better defensive utility given access to reliable recovery and burn up. Offensively speaking, I don't think choice band has been explored enough or proven its merits within any gen8 setting (from what I've seen at least)

This is one of those mons that looks great on paper when you give it a visual representation of what it beats and how, which you have done. However I find the problem with this mon is much more broad and extends beyond what it beats which is why I want to focus on what it loses to. Out of the 24 mons you commented on, a whopping 19 (79.1%) of those are either set or RNG dependent which I personally don't believe is anywhere near solid enough to justify an A rank, especially over other A- pokemon which have proven to be much more dominating in the current meta such as primarina, crustle, zeraora and haxorus. There's definitely potential but not enough to justify a rise at this point of the meta
which ones are rng dependent.
i dont believe any are expect togekiss for obvious reasons
also arcanine is different than inciniroar because it has stall moves, so it runs stall,while I am clearly not. If you wanted stall mons there are mons that do it better than arcanine. Incineroar instead runs band or weakness policy which it can utilize better than arcanine.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
which ones are rng dependent.
i dont believe any are expect togekiss for obvious reasons
also arcanine is different than inciniroar because it has stall moves, so it runs stall,while I am clearly not. If you wanted stall mons there are mons that do it better than arcanine. Incineroar instead runs band or weakness policy which it can do better than arcanine.
252 Atk Crustle Rock Wrecker vs. 184 HP / 252+ Def Incineroar: 326-386 (86.4 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (not even Adamant)
:Hydreigon: Hydreigon both win (not RNG but you definitely do not beat this with a scrap of reliability)
:Kyurem: Kyurem first set wins (not RNG but you definitely do not beat this with a scrap of reliability)
also arcanine is different than inciniroar because it has stall moves, so it runs stall,while I am clearly not. If you wanted stall mons there are mons that do it better than arcanine.
How the Pokemon goes about winning is irrelevant. All that matters is what mons it beats and how reliably.

How the Pokemon goes about winning is irrelevant. All that matters is what mons it beats and how reliably.
also apparently im supposed to say "effective check" because anything with 3% chance of happening makes it not a counter
I only lose to 3 turn sleep which is 3.5% chance against syleon
I already admitted to losing to rotom wash.
I guranteed beat hydreigon
I guranteed beat kyurem
taunt for stall and 252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Earth Power vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Incineroar: 322-380 (85.4 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
i tank specs
i already admitted to losing to dracovish
i already admitting to losing to crustle
also when i said i beat band crustle ,scarf vish,and stall rotom wash i was mentioning possible baits/sets it could still win against(to give more info if you cared)
i mean, is it not cool that inciniroar sometimes beats dracovish?
I added at the top of the post the mons i lose to which include,rotom wash,crustle,and dracovish

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
also apparently im supposed to say "effective check" because anything with 3% chance of happening makes it not a counter
31.3 is a lot different than 3
I only lose to 3 turn sleep which is 3.5% chance against syleon
*1/3 or 33.3% chance
I guranteed beat hydreigon
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Incineroar: 372-438 (98.6 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
I guranteed beat kyurem
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Draco Meteor vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Incineroar: 382-450 (101.3 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
i mean, is it not cool that inciniroar sometimes beats dracovish?
It's cool but is contrary to "which ones are rng dependent.i dont believe any are expect togekiss for obvious reasons" which yes, I know you've already admitted.

31.3 is a lot different than 3

*1/3 or 33.3% chance

252+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Incineroar: 372-438 (98.6 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Draco Meteor vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Incineroar: 382-450 (101.3 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It's cool but is contrary to "which ones are rng dependent.i dont believe any are expect togekiss for obvious reasons" which yes, I know you've already admitted.
srry forgot sleep mechanics.
anyways 3 turn sleep and its 33% is pretty low and considered hax
.yes if you know i said i lose to dracovish stop repeating it <3
modest hydreigon is 5% compared to 20%
modest kyurem is also 5% compared to 20%
but i guess ill drop the kyurem matchup

when i said, "which ones are rng dependent.i dont believe any are expect togekiss for obvious reasons" , i did not understand the meaning of counter
you explained it to me on ps so now i know so we dont need to talk about that. Don't want to edit my post because its a dumb move but no need to mention it.

I just optimised the ev's and now i beat hydreigon and this also
252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 180 SpD Incineroar: 288-340 (87 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

lost heros

Meme Master
Welcome to the second edition of Lost Heros's VR Corner!

This little project of mine will be to help create some insight on how I judge a pokemon when ranking it. These posts aren't nominations, but rather explanations on why I voted for a pokemon to be a certain ranking. If you want to see the full list of voting you can do so here.

This is just how I define ranks not a general definition of them.

Now before I get started the first thing to do is to define how I define the ranks I place pokemon in. S Rank pokemon define the metagame. These pokemon will always be present in every micro-metagame you encounter on ladder. They can either promote or completely erase entire strategies or team compositions. Their counters get more use than they would otherwise just because of their existence. They will almost always have high usage and a wide variety of sets to choose from. A Rank pokemon are just very very good. You'll never feel bad about putting an A rank pokemon on your team even if you feel like you don't have to. They do their job and they do their job very well. They can have high usage although it's not necessary and they might have several sets to choose from or they might have 1 set that is all they need. B Rank pokemon have a job and they do it well. You won't often be surprised at the set a B rank pokemon uses, although when you face it, it's no walk in the park. They are deceptively strong, but they just don't fit on every team. C Rank pokemon are weird man. They have a specific niche that you don't really see in many other pokemon. It's weird, but a good weird. D Rank pokemon are bad. I would best describe them as pokemon that are technically used, but not really good enough to even say they have specific niche they target.

Furthermore any + or - means that pokemon is better or worse, respectively, than the other pokemon in that rank.

Alright let's get started on my second topic of choice.

Dusclops
My vote for Dusclops is a low but gold C-. Dusclops boasts an exceptionally high eviolite-boosted mixed defenses in combination with many great tools useful for a stall playstyle. However, because of its extreme weakness to trick and stiff competition with Corsola-G, Dusclops has an exceptionally difficult time carving out its own niche.

At first glance it's fairly easy to get over-excited about Dusclops. 40/130/130 Defenses bolstered by an eviolite gives Dusclops defensive stats similar to Chansey. Then it has Stall Support in Will-o-Wisp, Confide, and Haze all of which make it difficult for set-up pokemon to over come it. It all has several game plans it can use with Trick Room+Disable or Pressue Spite. Plus with Rest as recovery PP Stalling is natural for Dusclops.

So where does it fail? Unfortunately, no matter what you do, Dusclops falls apart to most every Trick user, and while Night Shade can help against Taunt match-ups, it's not always enough. Then it has strict competition for another eviolite dependant ghost type stall pokemon, Corsola-G. Corsola-G has a very similar defensive stat line, an identical typing, and a similar game plan with the added bonus of Strength Sap and Cursed Body.

So why run Dusclops at all? Well there's a very small opportunity cost benefit when running Dusclops. While Corsola-G can beat many Stall-oriented pokemon tanks to Curse, Dusclops can do so as well, without having to change its set whatsoever thanks to Pressure+Rest. This allows Dusclops to consolidate some of Corsola-G's matchups with a single set.

Or if you wanna have fun run trick room disable.

Anywho, here's some (unoptimized) sets to play around with.

Dusclops @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Confide
- Pain Split / Night Shade / Spite / Curse / Haze

Dusclops @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Disable
- Night Shade
- Pain Split

All said and done, Dusclops is outclassed and only has a very marginal niche for itself, being why I rate it so low as C-.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
Not going to cover all of the discrepancies between my votes and the VR like I did last time, but here's some mons I feel pretty strongly about:

:dragapult: A > A+/S-
Dragapult @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Phantom Force
- Dragon Darts
- Fire Blast
- Breaking Swipe

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt

Dragapult @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Def / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Curse
- Draco Meteor

I feel like a lot of people judge this Pokemon's viability off its Specs set which despite its usage, is imo, Dragapult's worst set. Band has some awesome KOs against Haban users that Specs could never touch thanks to Dragon Darts. It can also OHKO mons like Aegi with an outright higher damage output and crack Crustle without so much bulk via Breaking Swipe. The two sets that I really think push it over the edge right now are Life Orb and Curse SubDisable. Whenever I'm building sets I find that SubDisable Dragapult ends up messing with the usual ways to beat Dragapult. Life Orb keeps a surprising amount of the simple damage-based matchups whereas Curse followed by Disabling your opponent's recovery lets Dragapult beat a huge array of stall Pokemon.

:crustle: A- > A
Crustle @ Mental Herb / Hard Stone / Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 16 HP / 224 Atk / 16 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rock Wrecker
- Rock Blast
- Counter

Crustle @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rock Wrecker
- Endure
- Rock Blast

Crustle @ Choice Band
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Rock Wrecker
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

Crustle is a Pokemon that I find myself constantly using a defensive benchmark when building sets. However, its ability to slap on Hard Rock, Life Orb, or even Choice Band ends up invalidating that investment all too often. The combined facts that Crustle has massively variable damage output and is one of the most prepped for mons in the meta puts this Pokemon in a super favorable position and makes it not only hard to play against but easy to get wins with. Beyond those three items, it can also viably use Mental Herb, Lum Berry, and Salac Berry giving it some of the best item diversity in the meta. The item I'd like to focus on the most, however, is Choice Band as it lets Crustle get some great OHKOs against Pokemon like Primarina and Aegislash.

:incineroar: A- > B
Regardless of its usage, this Pokemon is fairly unimpressive compared to Arcanine. It can pick up a matchup here or there with Taunt and is probably better than say, Band or Life Orb Arcanine but it pales in comparison to what stall Arc can do. Even the stallbreak that it gets with Taunt (which often requires Flame Charge to win with, worsening its 4MSS) can often be achieved by Arcanine via the highly underutilized Rest.

:avalugg: B+ > A-
Avalugg @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 108 Atk / 160 Def
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Recover
- Avalanche / Mirror Coat
- Body Press / Mirror Coat

Avalugg is so good. To begin, it counters Mimikyu and almost every Dragon-type in the tier. Band is used a lot and for good reason - it really does grab some nice KOs - I feel Iron Defense is comparatively underutilized. While maintaining its Mimikyu matchup (trading RNG for a 50/50 vs Taunt sets), Avalugg finds itself able to wall some of the tier's biggest powerhouses like Durant (which it's weak to) and Band Dracovish. The few physical attackers it can't wall such as Swords Dance Excadrill and Band Darm-G it can often KO outright. While special attackers can easily break Avalugg, Avalugg can put up a good fight, especially vs choice locked ones, with Mirror Coat. This mon should not be languishing in B+.

:aromatisse: B > A-
Speaking of Mimikyu counters and Dragon checks, Aromatisse is a super powerful Pokemon. Its potential is often inhibited by its user's inexperience with it but once you know how to play with Aromatisse it will do huge work. Unlike most defensive Pokemon, Aromatisse actually appreciates when the opponent goes for a Trick, stat boost, Taunt, or Encore thanks to Encore and Aroma Veil and with Trick Room, can keep the opponent locked into any given status move long enough for Encore->Disable to clean up the remains. It has mediocre matchups vs the very top of the tier which is why I'm not advocating for A rank (yet) but this Pokemon really is something else.

:dracozolt: B- > B+
Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 244 Atk / 32 Def / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Outrage
- Taunt / Fire Blast
- Bulldoze / Fire Blast

Dracozolt @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 SPe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Rock Blast

Dracozolt is often framed as a bad Dracovish but the opposite is true... without RNG of course. If this Pokemon had Intrepid Sword instead of Hustle, I honestly think it would be S-. I think B+ is appropriate because I do place a lot of weight on RNG in matchups but in spite of this it's so much better than its given credit for. Dracovish is a one-trick pony with a kickass Fishious Rend and nothing else going for it, often struggling to KO other Dragon types with Outrage, even. Comparatively, Dracozolt can shred through many Haban users like Goodra and Appletun with its Hustle-boosted Outrage. Where Dracovish falls flat against most resistances like bulky Waters, Dracozolt has no issue with defensive Water or Dragon types and can beat most Grass types with either Outrage, Fire Blast, or Fire Fang, even threatening (though not beating with reliability) Whimsicott. I've been using this a fair amount lately and it's quite simply a powerhouse.

:goodra: B- > B
Goodra @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpA / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Acid Spray
- Fire Blast
- Breaking Swipe / Laser Focus

Goodra @ Haban Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper / Gooey
EVs: 244 HP / 72 Def / 192 SpA
Calm / Sassy Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Acid Spray
- Laser Focus
- Sludge Wave / Power Whip

Goodra @ Haban Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 72 Def / 188 SpA / 4 Spe
Calm / Sassy Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Acid Spray
- Fire Blast

Goodra @ Haban Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpA
Calm / Sassy Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Acid Spray
- Counter

Goodra @ Haban Berry
EVs: 224 HP / 248 Def / 32 SpA / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Acid Spray
- Fire Blast
- Counter / Laser Focus

Goodra @ Haban Berry
EVs: 224 HP / 248 Def / 36 SpA
Calm Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Acid Spray
- Fire Blast / Laser Focus
- Counter / Laser Focus

Goodra @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 104 HP / 40 Def / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump / Sludge Wave
- Power Whip / Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower / Sludge Wave

Goodra @ Salac Berry
EVs: 104 HP / 184 Def / 68 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Endure
- Draco Meteor
- Acid Spray
- Counter

Goodra @ Salac Berry
EVs: 192 HP / 128 SpA / 36 SpD / 152 Spe
Calm Nature
- Endure
- Draco Meteor
- Acid Spray
- Sludge Wave

Goodra @ Salac Berry
EVs: 104 HP / 40 Def / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Endure
- Draco Meteor
- Acid Spray
- Fire Blast / Laser Focus

Goodra @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 200 HP / 248 Def / 56 SpA / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Acid Spray
- Breaking Swipe
- Fire Blast / Counter / Laser Focus

Goodra @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 200 HP / 248 Def / 60 SpA
Bold Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Acid Spray
- Breaking Swipe
- Fire Blast

Goodra @ Dragon Fang
EVs: 188 HP / 248 Def / 72 SpA
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Acid Spray
- Feint
- Fire Blast / Counter / Laser Focus

Goodra @ Choice Specs
EVs: 240 HP / 100 Def / 168 SpA
Calm / Sassy Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast / Hydro Pump / Power Whip
- Focus Blast / Hydro Pump / Power Whip

Goodra @ Choice Specs
EVs: 104 HP / 184 Def / 220 SpA
Modest / Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast / Power Whip
- Focus Blast / Power Whip
- Hydro Pump / Power Whip

Goodra is one of the most customizable Pokemon this generation and can fit on a lot of teams. While "standard" Haban on its own might make Goodra a reasonable choice for B-, you ignore all of the tech that Goodra can be imbued with such as Specs, Feint, Salac, Scarf, Breaking Swipe, and even Rocky Helmet. I think that the sets, stats, and matchups speak for themselves but Goodra is a Pokemon with surprisingly few reliable counters for a supposed B-. Try slipping an off-meta set on your teams and give it a go.

:grimmsnarl: B- > B/B+
Grimmsnarl (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Play Rough
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch

Grimmsnarl, at least this set of it, has a pretty similar niche to Avalugg in blanket checking physical attackers (which it does less slightly less well) and Dragon-types. Despite its many losing matchups compared to Avalugg, however, Grimmsnarl brings Prankster Taunt and an arguably better defensive typing to the table letting it get past Pokemon like Crustle, Sawk, Corviknight (with a 50/50 or two), and Rillaboom.

:gardevoir: C+ > B-
Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Trick
- Disable

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 104 HP / 132 SpA / 56 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Pain Split
- Trick
- Disable

Gardevoir is yet another Dragon check (noticing a trend?) with its own twist on the genre - Trace, Trick, and Disable. Trace involves itself in a surprising number of matchups like Incineroar, Sawk, Crustle, Aromatisse, Zeraora, and more. Beyond its matchups vs everything weak to Fairy, there's no cohesive idea behind what it beats , it simply beats more than you'd expect. This can make it hard to build with but it also makes it hard to play against.

:centiskorch: C > B-
Centiskorch @ Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire / White Smoke
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Atk / 52 Def / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Power Whip / Knock Off
- Lunge / Knock Off
- Fire Lash / Knock Off

Centiskorch is a surprisingly strong, bulky, and even relatively fast Pokemon. While 65 speed is "bad" it's 5 shades less bad than the extremely oversaturated speed tier of 60, giving it favorable matchups against Primarina and Sylveon when paired with its typing without resorting to speed creeping. Being a Fire type that threatens Water types with Power Whip is niche enough but it doesn't even rely on that completely as its other coverage is pretty handy too and its abilities both give it some neat tech to either threaten stall Pokemon like Kyurem or opposing Fire types. Centiskorch can also use a pretty cash stall set but I'd recommend sticking with Band for the most part.

:toxtricity: C > B-
I haven't built comprehensive sets for this Pokemon yet but I get the feeling it'll have even more sets than Goodra. Electric/Poison is SUCH a good typing in a meta riddled with bulky Waters and Fairies and it has no shortage of stallbreaking ability with Acid Spray/Metal Sound, Taunt, Encore, and some outright power. I've used Assault Vest, Life Orb, Magnet, and Choice Specs all to moderate success. Toxtricity doesn't have hugely impressive matchups and obviously trades a lot of matchups between sets but why I nominate it for as high as B- is because in half of my teams, I either need my third mon to beat Tox or I end up using Tox myself. The meta just hasn't adjusted to this like it maybe should have which makes it a lot more threatening than it looks at first glance.

:hitmonlee: C > C+/B-
Hitmonlee (M) @ Normal Gem
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 116 Atk / 184 Def / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Bulk Up
- Laser Focus

Hitmonlee is a top-tier C+/low-tier B- Pokemon in my opinion. The investment+Bulk Up+Laser Focus tech lets it beat stall and Scarf Jirachi alike in addition to Dracovish, Corviknight, Crustle, Scarf Haxorus, Mandibuzz, Kommo-o, and Steelix which goes over people's heads when they don't know of this set. Beyond that, it's a stupid fast Fighting type with respectable damage output.

clerica

fly me up to Jupiter
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
:centiskorch: C > B-
Centiskorch @ Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire / White Smoke
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Atk / 52 Def / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Power Whip / Knock Off
- Lunge / Knock Off
- Fire Lash / Knock Off

Centiskorch is a surprisingly strong, bulky, and even relatively fast Pokemon. While 65 speed is "bad" it's 5 shades less bad than the extremely oversaturated speed tier of 60, giving it favorable matchups against Primarina and Sylveon when paired with its typing without resorting to speed creeping. Being a Fire type that threatens Water types with Power Whip is niche enough but it doesn't even rely on that completely as its other coverage is pretty handy too and its abilities both give it some neat tech to either threaten stall Pokemon like Kyurem or opposing Fire types. Centiskorch can also use a pretty cash stall set but I'd recommend sticking with Band for the most part.
Nalei really trying to do my boy centiskorch like that. Centiskorch is at least B in my opinion. This mon is not only strong, but also has access to insane moves like fire lash for corviknight and lunge for incin. The fact the it also get 2 amazing abilities in flash fire for anti fire tech or white smoke (stop smoke please) makes this mon not only viable, but also really good. The only thing holding it back right now is its lack of sets. If someone were to really develop this mon I feel like it could be in a really good spot in terms of just banded power and being an excellent stallbreaker.

Besides this and pult I agree with the others though. These mons deserve justice!

Please don't hurt me for thinking this mon is busted

Hi. Wanted to show you all a little about Braviary and how can some people find usage for it. Hasn't been nomed and is one of my favority pokemons, not just because of the sprite, but because is one of the most prficent Defiant users available right now.
Braviary (M) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Claw
- Brave Bird
- Laser Focus

Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Impact
- Brave Bird
- Laser Focus

Can beat scarf Chandelure. I have a replay where I used shadow claw on it and lost but brave bird could've ohked. Als can deal with some huge threats of the current meta. Replays below for reference:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1088855930
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1091350195
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1093256037
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1088029675
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1087982245
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1088297657
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1086231518

Honorable loses

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1087546508
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1088052389
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1091970172

I would rank it either C-, or C.

Last edited:

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi. Wanted to show you all a little about Braviary and how can some people find usage for it. Hasn't been nomed and is one of my favority pokemons, not just because of the sprite, but because is one of the most prficent Defiant users available right now.
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Claw
- Brave Bird
- Laser Focus

Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Impact
- Brave Bird
- Laser Focus

Can beat scarf Chandelure. I have a replay where I used shadow claw on it and lost but brave bird could've ohked. Als can deal with some huge threats of the current meta. Replays below for reference:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1091350195
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1093256037
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1088029675
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1087982245
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1088297657
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1086231518

Honorable loses

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1087546508
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1088052389
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen81v1-1091970172

I would rank it either C-, or C.
Added to the nom list
Klinklang deserves a (low) spot in the rankings. It beats all mimikyu sets and has good anti-fairy matchups in general. Also you can run chople, still beat most of the stuff you normally beat, and also lure sawk and things that rely on fighting coverage to break steels.
I would recommend fleshing out future noms w/ more info if you want to guarantee it is looked at.

I'll flesh out klinklang for the nomination; brought it once in PL and have had a lot of fun with it on ladder, it definitely has a pretty nice niche

Klinklang @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 20 Def / 4 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Charge
- Wild Charge

What it beats and how (in order of the VR rankings);
:mimikyu: - Shift gear into gear grind is probably the safest way to win, but spamming gear grind achieves the same results

:sylveon: - Shift gear immediately is always the play as you live specs with the hp + spdf investment. For defensive yawn, you can either shift gear or spam gear grind. Doesn't matter which as clear body means they can't lower spdf with fake tears. Shift gear into charge is fine, double shift gear is fine, double gear grind is fine, honestly anything here works

:dragapult: Beats band and curse that don't carry fire coverage as shadow ball is a 3hko, pretty sure against fire coverage curse there are some 50s with shift gear and sub plays, so not totally sure about this one but you still lose to scarf and specs (which aren't that great anyway)

:crustle: Always shift gear as you eat banded quake and ohko with +1 gear grind

:primarina: Charge into wild charge is an ohko on most variants, but this is a very shaky matchup as encore is always an option plus the bulkier spreads will live. You live any hit at +1 which is nice, but while there's potential to beat prim it is by no means guaranteed and should be used carefully

:sawk: The spread allows you to live adamant band close combat, and the speed allows you to outpace jolly scarf after shift gear. Shift gear immediately is always the play as it covers every set, you only lose by missing gear grind

:whimsicott: Spam gear grind as you outdamage the recovery gained

:kyurem: Loses to specs but i believe you beat bulky noble roar with shift gear immediately, though haven't tested this only looked at calc so could be wrong

:aromatisse: Gear grind immediately followed by charge on the disable. I'm asscheeks at using aromatisse so i don't know the exact turn order, but i don't think it has enough turns to setup its typical kind of trap, so i'm pretty confident that klinklang always wins this (edit: ty to maxy1991991 for the test, klinklang always wins as aromatisse will eventually run out of pp so klinklang always wins here)

:klinklang: Is this pokemon good overall? Na, it's pretty trash but it does certainly fill a niche as outlined above by Here comes team Charm!. I think it deserves a spot probably around the C / C- ranking, given that is has capacity to beat some top meta threats but loses very badly to majority of the meta. Let's also be real, there are far worse mons on this VR list that got in for much less so i doubt that klinklang, which has a useful niche, would be excluded. Also 80% of this set was from my good buddy Bopher, i just helped flesh it out so credit to him for his really cool anti meta pick

Last edited:

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll flesh out klinklang for the nomination; brought it once in PL and have had a lot of fun with it on ladder, it definitely has a pretty nice niche

Klinklang @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 20 Def / 4 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Charge
- Wild Charge

What it beats and how (in order of the VR rankings);
:mimikyu: - Shift gear into gear grind is probably the safest way to win, but spamming gear grind achieves the same results

:sylveon: - Shift gear immediately is always the play as you live specs with the hp + spdf investment. For defensive yawn, you can either shift gear or spam gear grind. Doesn't matter which as clear body means they can't lower spdf with fake tears. Shift gear into charge is fine, double shift gear is fine, double gear grind is fine, honestly anything here works

:dragapult: Beats band and curse that don't carry fire coverage as shadow ball is a 3hko, pretty sure against fire coverage curse there are some 50s with shift gear and sub plays, so not totally sure about this one but you still lose to scarf and specs (which aren't that great anyway)

:crustle: Always shift gear as you eat banded quake and ohko with +1 gear grind

:primarina: Charge into wild charge is an ohko on most variants, but this is a very shaky matchup as encore is always an option plus the bulkier spreads will live. You live any hit at +1 which is nice, but while there's potential to beat prim it is by no means guaranteed and should be used carefully

:sawk: The spread allows you to live adamant band close combat, and the speed allows you to outpace jolly scarf after shift gear. Shift gear immediately is always the play as it covers every set, you only lose by missing gear grind

:whimsicott: Spam gear grind as you outdamage the recovery gained

:kyurem: Loses to specs but i believe you beat bulky noble roar with shift gear immediately, though haven't tested this only looked at calc so could be wrong

:aromatisse: Gear grind immediately followed by charge on the disable. I'm asscheeks at using aromatisse so i don't know the exact turn order, but i don't think it has enough turns to setup its typical kind of trap, so i'm pretty confident that klinklang always wins this (edit: ty to maxy1991991 for the test, klinklang always wins as aromatisse will eventually run out of pp so klinklang always wins here)

:klinklang: Is this pokemon good overall? Na, it's pretty trash but it does certainly fill a niche as outlined above by Here comes team Charm!. I think it deserves a spot probably around the C / C- ranking, given that is has capacity to beat some top meta threats but loses very badly to majority of the meta. Let's also be real, there are far worse mons on this VR list that got in for much less so i doubt that klinklang, which has a useful niche, would be excluded. Also 80% of this set was from my good buddy Bopher, i just helped flesh it out so credit to him for his really cool anti meta pick
added to nom list

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
I'd like to Nominate Doublade in the 1v1 Metagame.
Now first of all, what does Doublade have over it's evolution: Aegislash?
Well first of all, even without eviolite, Doublade hosts a better physical defense stat, which gets boosted to absurd levels by eviolite.
This allows it to tank a banded flare blitz from G-Darm as well as a banded earthquake from adamant excadrill.
This alongside a reasonable 110 attack stat lets it beat common threats in the 1v1 metagame.

First of all, this is the main set I use:
Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Atk / 100 Def
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

First of all, let me preface that this thing beats every mimikyu set. everything from banded, to scarfed, to cursekyu. This being because of Doublade's ability No Guard, which allows it to hit mimikyu with iron head even while it's using phantom force, having a priority shadow sneak also lets it win this matchup.
It also beats the other 3 top mons on the ladder, being jirachi (unless it's stall rachi), Galarian Darm and Sylveon.
It also beats a few other fairies like Aromatisse and Gardevoir.
Close combat allows it to win a few matchups vs some rock, steel and dark pokemon such as Excadrill (Unless substitute), Tyranitar, Crustle, and other non bulky physical attackers such as sawk, scarf haxorus.

While it does lose against special attackers, it can run an extremely spDef set to beat specs pult (I wouldn't recommend it, just sayin)

Overall, I'd probably put this at a low C or mid C.

Edit:
Can it go on nom list Alakazam?

Last edited:
Throh and Sirfetch’d and Centiskorch

I had a fun time creating and using new sets during 1v1pl, which is why I want to nom a few of them.
throh.png

The Clock (Throh) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 216 HP / 120 Atk / 172 Def
Impish Nature
- Storm Throw
- Earthquake / Payback
- Bulk Up
- Rest

Throh is an overlooked Pokemon this metagame. It uses unique niches that make it good. While most people think Choice Band is superior, I believe Resto Chesto makes it stand out the most.

HP
Attack
Defense
Sp. Atk.
Sp. Def.
Speed

As you can tell from these stats, Throh is a very defensive Pokemon with a solid attack stat. I tried to mess around with it a bit and I found the perfect strategy for it. Throh is one of the few mons in the metagame that has access to Mold Breaker, which is another thing that makes it stand out. Mold Breaker + Storm Throw means that it will always do a critical hit while ignoring the opponent mon’s ability. This can be abused versus mons like Type: Null, Milotic and Avalugg. Other than Sawk, Throh is able to naturally tank an adamant Choice banded Darmanitan with Giga Impact thanks to its huge HP stat and decent Defence and still KO in return. Additionally RestoChesto works pretty well against Choiced users that make use of strong but disadvantageous moves like Draco Meteor, Close Combat and Overheat. It resets its health to 100% at turn 2 but now the opponent mon has a disadvantage. Bulk Up allows you to tank some of the weaker Band users twice like Arcanine and Zeraora. It forces Corviknight and Mandibuzz into a 50/50 on roost because roost disables the flying type, which makes Storm Throw super effective. Earthquake + a low speed allows you to take on Rotoms and Aegislash as well as stall like Corsola when at +4 attack. Even though it doesn’t take on Fairy types as good as Sawk, it has better odds against Stall while still tanking a lot of physical mons in the metagame.

VR-matchups
S Rank
Jirachi – L zen headbutt hurts not much but it would still win if 1 flinch
Mimikyu – W/L – Beats cursekyu because of mold breaker

S- Rank
Darmanitan-Galar –W 252+ Atk Choice Band Gorilla Tactics Darmanitan-Galar Giga Impact vs. 216 HP / 172+ Def Throh: 368-434 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A+ Rank
Sylveon - L

A Rank
Arcanine – W Rest + Bulk Up deals with both sets
Crustle – W Mold Breaker for Counter and it can’t hurt Throh
Dracovish – L Hurts too much
Dragapult W/L Rest into Draco Meteor

A- Rank
Corsola-Galar W/L Tough matchup
Corviknight W/L 50/50 on Bulk Up Taunt
Haxorus W/L Band 2hkos
Incineroar W
Primarina L
Sawk W/L roll on Band
Whimsicott L
Zeraora W Bulk Up into eq

B+ Rank
Aegislash W 248+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Throh: 174-205 (40 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO Bulk Up into Rest
Avalugg W
Cinderace W +1 252 Atk Blaze Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 216 HP / 172+ Def Throh: 351-414 (80.6 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Excadrill W
Hydreigon W
Kyurem W/L
Mandibuzz W/L same as corvik
Rillaboom W outstall the stall
Rotom-Wash W 52 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Throh: 150-177 (34.4 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO, 120 Atk Mold Breaker Throh Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Rotom-Wash: 150-178 (49.3 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
Togekiss L

B Rank
Aromatisse L
Blastoise L
Chandelure W/L Same as Hydreigon but trick
Conkeldurr W
Gastrodon W
Golisopod W
Kommo-o L Taunt
Milotic W
Rhyperior W
Rotom-Heat W
Snorlax W
Steelix W
Tyranitar W

B- Rank
Bewear W
Celebi L
Dracozolt L
Duraludon W/L depends on set, rest turn 1 12+ SpA Choice Specs Duraludon Steel Beam vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Throh: 336-396 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Durant W
Ferrothorn W
Gengar W/L roll in favour but disable is a thing too
Goodra L Acid Spray hurts
Grimmsnarl L
Keldeo L
Type: Null W 100% crit move
Weezing-Galar L

C+ Rank
Centiskorch L Fire Lash Broken
Cloyster W
Darmanitan W
Diggersby W/L beats scarf 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 216 HP / 172+ Def Throh: 183-216 (42 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Gardevoir L
Gyarados L Taunt
Rotom-Mow W/L
Terrakion W Rest on cc
Togedemaru W Mold Breaker Slapp

C Rank
Alcremie L
Appletun W/L
Bisharp W
Cofagrigus L
Copperajah W
Crawdaunt W
Dubwool W Storm Throw
Hitmonlee W
Inteleon L
Mamoswine W
Ninetales-Alola L
Obstagoon W
Reuniclus L
Scrafty W
Silvally W/L depends on type
Toxapex W max attack eq
Toxtricity W eq
Umbreon W
Vaporeon W/L Sleep rolls
Venusaur L

Throh takes on approximately 48/80 mons mentioned above which is why I think that Throh should be ranked at least C-/C. It has enough niches to work on its own like Storm Throw, Mold Breaker and a very good bulk.

Centiskorch: to B-/B

Centiskorch is a very straightforward pokemon but it’s also an underrated pokemon. Not only does it have the bulk to tank various specs mons, it also has the damage output to deal with those mons. Grass coverage in Power Whip makes it a strong Lure for water type pokemon like primarina and gastrodon, but also the combination of Flash Fire/White Smoke + Fire Lash makes it a viable stall breaker. As people often tend to think Centiskorch to run Flash Fire, they don’t dare to hit it with Fire-STAB and an ability like Clear Body allows it to surprisingly take on Corsola, as well as Kyurem, Corviknight and Stall Arcanine. Lunge allows it to put pressure on bulk up mons, but ig that fire lash acts the same. The additional bug-typing doesn’t have much downsides as there isn’t a high ranked bird pokemon with flying STAB to be found, also Rock Pokemon would beat Skorch despite of its Bug typing and Flash Fire backs it up on the behalf of neutral Fire-types.

Sirfetch’d: To C

I’ve always thought this mon wouldn’t be very practical but it turns out that it has a lot of cool and unique coverage that make it stand out. Just like Centiskorch, Fetch learns Leaf Blade as water-type coverage for Primarina and Gastrodon. Scrappy doesn’t only make it hit ghost types with its signature move Meteor Assault with 150bp, it also ignores Intimidate from incineroar and arcanine (and therefore beats Band Arcanine). Its bulk is enough to tank Band haxorus and scarf Darmanitan. One downside is that its second best fighting type stab move without downside is Brick Break, though this move acts as a Sturdy breaker and Sub breaker. Another cool funfact about Fetch is that it learns Brave Bird. This is amazing coverage for grass type pokemon like Rillaboom, Celebi and Whimsicott. I think Brave Bird outclasses First Impression as it’s stronger and on a choice band user like this it is more practical vs protect stall. Its amazing attack base stat of 135, its unique ability that’s very practical and its awesome coverage moves definitely make it C rank worthy.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
Throh and Sirfetch’d and Centiskorch

I had a fun time creating and using new sets during 1v1pl, which is why I want to nom a few of them.
View attachment 238133
The Clock (Throh) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 216 HP / 120 Atk / 172 Def
Impish Nature
- Storm Throw
- Earthquake / Payback
- Bulk Up
- Rest

Throh is an overlooked Pokemon this metagame. It uses unique niches that make it good. While most people think Choice Band is superior, I believe Resto Chesto makes it stand out the most.

HP
Attack
Defense
Sp. Atk.
Sp. Def.
Speed

As you can tell from these stats, Throh is a very defensive Pokemon with a solid attack stat. I tried to mess around with it a bit and I found the perfect strategy for it. Throh is one of the few mons in the metagame that has access to Mold Breaker, which is another thing that makes it stand out. Mold Breaker + Storm Throw means that it will always do a critical hit while ignoring the opponent mon’s ability. This can be abused versus mons like Type: Null, Milotic and Avalugg. Other than Sawk, Throh is able to naturally tank an adamant Choice banded Darmanitan with Giga Impact thanks to its huge HP stat and decent Defence and still KO in return. Additionally RestoChesto works pretty well against Choiced users that make use of strong but disadvantageous moves like Draco Meteor, Close Combat and Overheat. It resets its health to 100% at turn 2 but now the opponent mon has a disadvantage. Bulk Up allows you to tank some of the weaker Band users twice like Arcanine and Zeraora. It forces Corviknight and Mandibuzz into a 50/50 on roost because roost disables the flying type, which makes Storm Throw super effective. Earthquake + a low speed allows you to take on Rotoms and Aegislash as well as stall like Corsola when at +4 attack. Even though it doesn’t take on Fairy types as good as Sawk, it has better odds against Stall while still tanking a lot of physical mons in the metagame.

VR-matchups
S Rank
Jirachi – L zen headbutt hurts not much but it would still win if 1 flinch
Mimikyu – W/L – Beats cursekyu because of mold breaker

S- Rank
Darmanitan-Galar –W 252+ Atk Choice Band Gorilla Tactics Darmanitan-Galar Giga Impact vs. 216 HP / 172+ Def Throh: 368-434 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A+ Rank
Sylveon - L

A Rank
Arcanine – W Rest + Bulk Up deals with both sets
Crustle – W Mold Breaker for Counter and it can’t hurt Throh
Dracovish – L Hurts too much
Dragapult W/L Rest into Draco Meteor

A- Rank
Corsola-Galar W/L Tough matchup
Corviknight W/L 50/50 on Bulk Up Taunt
Haxorus W/L Band 2hkos
Incineroar W
Primarina L
Sawk W/L roll on Band
Whimsicott L
Zeraora W Bulk Up into eq

B+ Rank
Aegislash W 248+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Throh: 174-205 (40 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO Bulk Up into Rest
Avalugg W
Cinderace W +1 252 Atk Blaze Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 216 HP / 172+ Def Throh: 351-414 (80.6 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Excadrill W
Hydreigon W
Kyurem W/L
Mandibuzz W/L same as corvik
Rillaboom W outstall the stall
Rotom-Wash W 52 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Throh: 150-177 (34.4 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO, 120 Atk Mold Breaker Throh Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Rotom-Wash: 150-178 (49.3 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
Togekiss L

B Rank
Aromatisse L
Blastoise L
Chandelure W/L Same as Hydreigon but trick
Conkeldurr W
Gastrodon W
Golisopod W
Kommo-o L Taunt
Milotic W
Rhyperior W
Rotom-Heat W
Snorlax W
Steelix W
Tyranitar W

B- Rank
Bewear W
Celebi L
Dracozolt L
Duraludon W/L depends on set, rest turn 1 12+ SpA Choice Specs Duraludon Steel Beam vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Throh: 336-396 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Durant W
Ferrothorn W
Gengar W/L roll in favour but disable is a thing too
Goodra L Acid Spray hurts
Grimmsnarl L
Keldeo L
Type: Null W 100% crit move
Weezing-Galar L

C+ Rank
Centiskorch L Fire Lash Broken
Cloyster W
Darmanitan W
Diggersby W/L beats scarf 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 216 HP / 172+ Def Throh: 183-216 (42 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Gardevoir L
Gyarados L Taunt
Rotom-Mow W/L
Terrakion W Rest on cc
Togedemaru W Mold Breaker Slapp

C Rank
Alcremie L
Appletun W/L
Bisharp W
Cofagrigus L
Copperajah W
Crawdaunt W
Dubwool W Storm Throw
Hitmonlee W
Inteleon L
Mamoswine W
Ninetales-Alola L
Obstagoon W
Reuniclus L
Scrafty W
Silvally W/L depends on type
Toxapex W max attack eq
Toxtricity W eq
Umbreon W
Vaporeon W/L Sleep rolls
Venusaur L

Throh takes on approximately 48/80 mons mentioned above which is why I think that Throh should be ranked at least C-/C. It has enough niches to work on its own like Storm Throw, Mold Breaker and a very good bulk.

Centiskorch: to B-/B

Centiskorch is a very straightforward pokemon but it’s also an underrated pokemon. Not only does it have the bulk to tank various specs mons, it also has the damage output to deal with those mons. Grass coverage in Power Whip makes it a strong Lure for water type pokemon like primarina and gastrodon, but also the combination of Flash Fire/White Smoke + Fire Lash makes it a viable stall breaker. As people often tend to think Centiskorch to run Flash Fire, they don’t dare to hit it with Fire-STAB and an ability like Clear Body allows it to surprisingly take on Corsola, as well as Kyurem, Corviknight and Stall Arcanine. Lunge allows it to put pressure on bulk up mons, but ig that fire lash acts the same. The additional bug-typing doesn’t have much downsides as there isn’t a high ranked bird pokemon with flying STAB to be found, also Rock Pokemon would beat Skorch despite of its Bug typing and Flash Fire backs it up on the behalf of neutral Fire-types.

Sirfetch’d: To C

I’ve always thought this mon wouldn’t be very practical but it turns out that it has a lot of cool and unique coverage that make it stand out. Just like Centiskorch, Fetch learns Leaf Blade as water-type coverage for Primarina and Gastrodon. Scrappy doesn’t only make it hit ghost types with its signature move Meteor Assault with 150bp, it also ignores Intimidate from incineroar and arcanine (and therefore beats Band Arcanine). Its bulk is enough to tank Band haxorus and scarf Darmanitan. One downside is that its second best fighting type stab move without downside is Brick Break, though this move acts as a Sturdy breaker and Sub breaker. Another cool funfact about Fetch is that it learns Brave Bird. This is amazing coverage for grass type pokemon like Rillaboom, Celebi and Whimsicott. I think Brave Bird outclasses First Impression as it’s stronger and on a choice band user like this it is more practical vs protect stall. Its amazing attack base stat of 135, its unique ability that’s very practical and its awesome coverage moves definitely make it C rank worthy.
added throh to nom list

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)