2011 Music

"best sic-fi emo album of the past 20 years" well I'm at least curious now. I hope the title track at least is in c mAjor. That would make me happy.

At least from the two singles, that description of it is totally off for it. Can't wait though, I'm gonna hold out for the official release and avoid pirating it.

On a related note, I'm really hyped for the release of The Rural Alberta Advantage's Departing March 1st (RAA and Bright Eyes are on the same label if you didn't get the connection). They're one of my favorite bands after I found out of about them.

Oh What.cd, make love to meeee~ <3

I'll check it out, Bright Eyes is pretty cool, I haven't listened to a lot of them but I mean there are songs that talk about Tim Kasher, and Oberst's delivery is fantastic. Also thumbs up for 'sci-fi emo', whatever that means.

@Kingdra: Seems like pretty typical powerpop/pop-punk stuff, which I guess is a logical step for them now, and they've always been pretty radio friendly and such. It's just if I want that kind of stuff I'd rather listen to something
"better". Pretty. Odd was fantastic but my hopes aren't that high for this.

Haven't heard much from this year but Family Might has an EP called Fuck the Sunset which is really nice Emo in the vein of Snowing and Algernon Cadwalladder.
There's also SENDER//RECEIVER by Solar Powered Sun Destroyer, which is uhh... well I don't know, it's tagged as 'post.rock', 'space' and 'indie' on What. :/

Lupe Fiasco - LASERS (March 8)
Protest the Hero - Scurrilous (March 22)
Lady Gaga - Born This Way (May 23)
Architecture in Helsinki - Moment Bends (April)
The Age of Rockets
Fang Island
Enter Shikari
Blink-182
Say Anything
Glassjaw
Between the Buried and Me
Title Fight
United Nations
Thursday

Well I just went on an all day listening spree and I gotta say there's not too much from 2011 that impressed me. ):

-"I Am Impressed" List of 2011-

Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean
Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light 1
Wire - Red Barked Tree
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
Cloud Nothings - Cloud Nothings
Adele - 21

Gonna check out Bright Eyes tommorow.

new Peter, Bjorn and John is fantastic. Same goes for The Decemberists.
Mogwai's album was also great, far better than I expected.

discovered some great albums the past few days:

Iceage's New Brigade is brilliant music. It's post-punk/art punk with amazing pop sensibilities. Every song on New Brigade sounds slightly avant-gardish and artistic, while also being simple and catchy. The fact that these guys are so young is even more impressive.

Orchards / Lupine by DeWolff is some amazing blues rock/psychedelic rock with some mesmerizing guitar work. From the trippy opener "Diamonds" to the last chords of "Poison", Orchards / Lupine is one hell of a ride.

Drill and Bass can get fucking annoying, because of some artists literally overwhelming you with the exaggerating amound of snare rushes. Fortunately, Everything Was Altered by BLÆRG one doesn't. It's atmospheric, yet still intense.

The Big Roar by The Joy Formidable is a fantastic album. Indie rock isn't supposed to sound this intense. Their sound is really unique and they make full use of that on here. Opener "The Everchanging Spectrum of a Lie" is one of the best songs I've heard in 2011.

Maths' Ascent is a short yet really emotional screamo album with delectable guitar playing. The closer in particular is one of the best screamo songs I've heard for a longer time.

If you like progressive metal with lots of world music (mostly oriental) influences and outstanding harmonies, check out Sculpture by BaK. Besides the last song, it never attempts to show off its technicality, aiming for a pleasant sound to much better results instead.

That new Toro Y Moi might be something to be reckoned with.

I'm back after struggling with my password, and I have a few things which only make sense being posted in this particular topic. I'd post some of these in the best of 2010 topic, but I can't!

The 25 Best Songs of 2010
The 25 Best Albums of 2010

Those are my lists. I worked absurdly hard on them, so if you could give them a read, that'd be nice.

Then there's the Pazz and Jop Critics Poll. I got two things submitted, so I'm going to be receiving money!

Pazz and Jop 2010 Home
Best Albums
Best Songs
My Ballot

Then the things I wrote are here and here, with my name being beneath my submissions. My name is Joey.

My favorites so far this year? Smith Westerns, Destroyer, and Cloud Nothings. I'll be catching up with you guys, it's been a hectic month. @_@

Sum 41, Hollywood Undead, and Rise Against all have new albums coming out in March... I care about them in that order.

i didnt much care for that toro y moi song. cant say ive ever been much a fan of the neon indian-y glo-fi sound though, it just strikes me as super gimmicky.

i did check out space is only noise that zoro recommended, though, and i liked it alot. so having said that, heres a preliminary top 5 list if anyone cares:

1. mogwai - hardcore will never die, but you will
2. destroyer - kaputt
3. smith westerns - die it blonde
4. the souljazz orchestra - rising sun
5. nicolas jaar - space is only noise

New Fang Island? If true then, awesome.
Yeah I saw them in... October I think, and they played a new song called Seek it Out, then they posted stuff on their facebook about new material so I don't know when, but there's definitely something in the works. :/

discovered some great albums the past few days:

Iceage's New Brigade is brilliant music. It's post-punk/art punk with amazing pop sensibilities. Every song on New Brigade sounds slightly avant-gardish and artistic, while also being simple and catchy. The fact that these guys are so young is even more impressive.

Orchards / Lupine by DeWolff is some amazing blues rock/psychedelic rock with some mesmerizing guitar work. From the trippy opener "Diamonds" to the last chords of "Poison", Orchards / Lupine is one hell of a ride.

Drill and Bass can get fucking annoying, because of some artists literally overwhelming you with the exaggerating amound of snare rushes. Fortunately, Everything Was Altered by BLÆRG one doesn't. It's atmospheric, yet still intense.

The Big Roar by The Joy Formidable is a fantastic album. Indie rock isn't supposed to sound this intense. Their sound is really unique and they make full use of that on here. Opener "The Everchanging Spectrum of a Lie" is one of the best songs I've heard in 2011.

Maths' Ascent is a short yet really emotional screamo album with delectable guitar playing. The closer in particular is one of the best screamo songs I've heard for a longer time.

If you like progressive metal with lots of world music (mostly oriental) influences and outstanding harmonies, check out Sculpture by BaK. Besides the last song, it never attempts to show off its technicality, aiming for a pleasant sound to much better results instead.
Ascent is great, The Big Roar is great. Checking out New Brigade now, and I might look into Sculpture.

Not gonna even try to listen to 'drill and bass' ahaha, ignorance sometimes is bliss.

Ascent is probably going to end up as this years 'Nevermind the Bombings, Here's Your Six Figures', similar in sound, and so short that before I even notice it I've listened to the whole thing like 5 times.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
the white stripes haven't made music in what 6 years and you're shocked by that?

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
oh man i completely forgot about that album

i guess i should rephrase

they haven't been remotely relevant for what 6 years?

actually probably longer if i am going with the rephrasal.

I guess, though I thought Icky Thump was a very quality album. They also released a live album in 2010, for what it's worth.

Perhaps I should rephrase too; back in their prime they were a force in music. Just like Iron Maiden isn't on the cutting edge of metal anymore, their old stuff is so good I would be sad as hell to see them break up. Same goes for The White Stripes (though I'm not a fanboy for The White Stripes like I am for Iron Maiden).

Admittedly I saw this coming eventually. Jack White is eager to get to work on music all the time, and Meg just isn't. Besides the occasional album they'd eventually release Meg always had problems touring.

I really don't care much for modern music for the most part and generally prefer the 70s and 80s, but one album I'm looking forward to this year is Turisas's new album. European release on February 28th (which in my experience means March 1st), meaning I get to preview the songs on youtube and decide if it's worth buying, and the album gets an American release about a week later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)